Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Blog Post: Do You Believe in MagitekFollow

#27 Mar 15 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Kachi wrote:
My favorite, which I'll never forget, was this MNK named Soundwave. Met him in Yuhtunga, and he had a Boost macro (which he activated every 15 seconds without fail) that said PUMP UP THE VOLUME. It was hilariously obnoxious.


LOL

Edited, Mar 15th 2013 6:12pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#28 Mar 15 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
All this talk about Magitek is getting me excited. And I'm glad it's based off of Amano's concept/drawings.

If all of the art/graphics in game were though his whispy dream-like style, it would be awesome.

In any case I'd love to see a Midgard/Narshe type area; I'd probably just set my homepoint there and that would be my basecamp.

---

As far as PT announcements were concerned, I just had the boring <Provoke> ---> <t> Macros. I didn't want to p*off any of the JPs I was grouping with. There were a lot of clever NA and JP macros though with smileys and unique phrases. I guess I was all business. lol.
#29 Mar 15 2013 at 9:41 PM Rating: Good
Kachi wrote:
My favorite, which I'll never forget, was this MNK named Soundwave. Met him in Yuhtunga, and he had a Boost macro (which he activated every 15 seconds without fail) that said PUMP UP THE VOLUME. It was hilariously obnoxious.


Oh man, I lol'd for a good 2-3 minutes when I read this. It's so true. We all had one in our party at some point in XI.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#30 Mar 15 2013 at 9:46 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
catwho wrote:
My WAR's provoke macro on my teeny tiny Tarutaru main is "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size?!"


Wait a minute... on which servers did you play? I think you may have partied with my now-spouse and I many years ago! o_o
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Mar 15 2013 at 10:07 PM Rating: Good
KaneKitty wrote:
catwho wrote:
My WAR's provoke macro on my teeny tiny Tarutaru main is "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size?!"


Wait a minute... on which servers did you play? I think you may have partied with my now-spouse and I many years ago! o_o


While that does sound familiar, I have a feeling that more than 1 Taru had that or something similar as their Provoke macro.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#32 Mar 15 2013 at 10:13 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
catwho wrote:
My WAR's provoke macro on my teeny tiny Tarutaru main is "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size?!"


Wait a minute... on which servers did you play? I think you may have partied with my now-spouse and I many years ago! o_o


Seraph and then Bismarck.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#33 Mar 15 2013 at 10:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Kachi wrote:
My favorite, which I'll never forget, was this MNK named Soundwave. Met him in Yuhtunga, and he had a Boost macro (which he activated every 15 seconds without fail) that said PUMP UP THE VOLUME. It was hilariously obnoxious.


Oh man, I lol'd for a good 2-3 minutes when I read this. It's so true. We all had one in our party at some point in XI.


If you thought that was funny, you should check out this. I had nearly forgotten all about it.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#34 Mar 15 2013 at 11:56 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Kachi wrote:

If you thought that was funny, you should check out this. I had nearly forgotten all about it.

Wow. That was entertaining. And ridiculously long. Monks ftw!

I had some silly ones when I was first getting the hang of macros and figuring out all the neat crap you could do. Probably annoyed some people along the way. Then I transitioned into simpler ones with less clutter. Lots of /echo instead of spamming chat.
#35 Mar 16 2013 at 12:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I knew a ninja who put this in his shadows macro. I always wanted to steal it

o.O O.O O.o. p00f
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#36 Mar 16 2013 at 1:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Kachi wrote:
My favorite, which I'll never forget, was this MNK named Soundwave. Met him in Yuhtunga, and he had a Boost macro (which he activated every 15 seconds without fail) that said PUMP UP THE VOLUME. It was hilariously obnoxious.


Oh man, I lol'd for a good 2-3 minutes when I read this. It's so true. We all had one in our party at some point in XI.


If you thought that was funny, you should check out this. I had nearly forgotten all about it.


That....that was amazing.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#37 Mar 16 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
catwho wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Wait a minute... on which servers did you play? I think you may have partied with my now-spouse and I many years ago! o_o


Seraph and then Bismarck.


Must have been some other Taru... we were on Lakshmi, Bahamut, and Pandemonium. :c
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#38 Mar 16 2013 at 11:08 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Gelthidor wrote:
Yeah, I really like that the design is based off of Amano's Magitek Armor, seeing as while I don't like his humans, he can draw some pretty good equipment and the like :P


That's plain poppycock.

You must have never seen his artwork of shadow.
#39 Mar 16 2013 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
je355804 wrote:
Gelthidor wrote:
Yeah, I really like that the design is based off of Amano's Magitek Armor, seeing as while I don't like his humans, he can draw some pretty good equipment and the like :P


That's plain poppycock.

You must have never seen his artwork of shadow.


je355804 wrote:
Gelthidor wrote:
Yeah, I really like that the design is based off of Amano's Magitek Armor, seeing as while I don't like his humans, he can draw some pretty good equipment and the like :P


That's plain poppycock.

You must have never seen his artwork of shadow.


I think that Shadow is one of the few that I like...his style just doesn't click with me, then again, when turned into 3D models, I prefer Amano to Nomura...
#40 Mar 16 2013 at 8:38 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
931 posts
How does Magitek fit into Eorzea?

I was hoping that, with ARR, Eorzea and Hydaelyn would develop their own distinct feel. It seems like they're instead going for a random *********** of nostalgia-bait to desperately claw back some of the disgruntled Final Fantasy fanboys.
____________________________
MUTED
#41 Mar 16 2013 at 9:38 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Poubelle wrote:
How does Magitek fit into Eorzea?

I was hoping that, with ARR, Eorzea and Hydaelyn would develop their own distinct feel. It seems like they're instead going for a random cluster@#%^ of nostalgia-bait to desperately claw back some of the disgruntled Final Fantasy fanboys.


I think that's pretty much Yoshida's stated goal of 2.0, though put more eloquently. As one would expect, SE is grabbing at everything they can to make sure the game sticks the second time around.*

*except things from FFXI, their most financially successful -- and only other online -- Final Fantasy title, for some reason. They seem to be wary of things from that game.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#42 Mar 16 2013 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I was strongly under the impression that they always intended to implement Magitek down the line, but that it would initially be a Garlean technology.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#43 Mar 16 2013 at 10:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
How does Magitek fit into Eorzea?

I was hoping that, with ARR, Eorzea and Hydaelyn would develop their own distinct feel. It seems like they're instead going for a random cluster@#%^ of nostalgia-bait to desperately claw back some of the disgruntled Final Fantasy fanboys.


I think that's pretty much Yoshida's stated goal of 2.0, though put more eloquently. As one would expect, SE is grabbing at everything they can to make sure the game sticks the second time around.*

*except things from FFXI, their most financially successful -- and only other online -- Final Fantasy title, for some reason. They seem to be wary of things from that game.


Oh come on, what about the Races of XIV? Might as well call Miq'ote Mithra and Roegadyn Galka.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#44 Mar 17 2013 at 5:05 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Wint wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
How does Magitek fit into Eorzea?

I was hoping that, with ARR, Eorzea and Hydaelyn would develop their own distinct feel. It seems like they're instead going for a random cluster@#%^ of nostalgia-bait to desperately claw back some of the disgruntled Final Fantasy fanboys.


I think that's pretty much Yoshida's stated goal of 2.0, though put more eloquently. As one would expect, SE is grabbing at everything they can to make sure the game sticks the second time around.*

*except things from FFXI, their most financially successful -- and only other online -- Final Fantasy title, for some reason. They seem to be wary of things from that game.


Oh come on, what about the Races of XIV? Might as well call Miq'ote Mithra and Roegadyn Galka.


That is just something left from Tanaka though, it would just be speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi would have used other races if he had made the game completely from scratch.
#45 Mar 17 2013 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,779 posts
Kachi wrote:
I was strongly under the impression that they always intended to implement Magitek down the line, but that it would initially be a Garlean technology.


This was how I saw it.

The city-states of Eorzea are something of an analogue to the Greek city states of old. Ithaca, Athens, Sparta etc.... The Garlean Empire is something of a "Persian Empire under Xerxes" analogue. Larger, more technologically advanced (relatively speaking) and ever a looming shadow over the lives and livelihoods of those individuals living in the main city states.

I see the Magitek stuff as "pandering" just as much as I see Chocobos and Moogles as "pandering." Which is to say, it's something that's uniquely Final Fantasy that gives the game distinction compared to other games.

TOR has the "hyper advanced yet not really" sort of tech thing going for them.
WoW has the "super dangerous but crazily awesome" Gobby tech and the "unnecessarily complicated but still sometimes useful" Gnome tech.
FF has the "let's merge magic and machine and conquer the world because f*ck yeah!" thing going on.

Yes, it's an echo of FF6, but the magitek and what it meant/symbolized is so strong and deep that really, I'm sad it took this long to revisit it. The themes practically write the story for us; the people of Grid, Ul and LL generally live in harmony with the world around them. They shape it, but they're also shaped by it, so there is symbiosis. This is best seen from 1.0 with the Gridanians and their elementals in the Twelveswood. The Conjurer's of Gridania, specifically the Hearer's, do what they can to assist the elementals and ensure harmony is maintained for all things in the forest.

Ul'dah and LL, while not as clear-cut (hah!) as the forest folk, still have a theme of "we live in this part of the world, and it's a part of us as much as we are a part of it" that underlies everything they do. It's not as obvious as it is with Grid, but it's clear the people's of Ul and LL respect the land and seek to sustain it as much as it sustains them.

But then you have the Garlean Empire. They don't "coexist" with anything. They take the primal forces of nature and manipulate them into tools of power to be used on their enemies. There is no symbiosis, no equal partnership. The empire takes and takes because ***** everything else, especially nature and the natural way of things. The only *true* way for the empire is the Empire way.

And really...it makes sense. Pretty much every single FF has had themes of respecting the world you live in, in some form or another. From the very obvious "Please not to be ******** with the primal forces of life thank you" found in FF1, to the world destruction in 6, to the juxtaposition of Firion and co. compared to Mateus (backwater freedom fighters, fighting for their freedom and the simple life, against the might of a seemingly unstoppable Emperor and his military machine)....well, let's just say this; to call SE out on "re-hashing" something or "nostalgia" at this point in time is to admit that one is quite possibly the latest arrival to the party.
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#46 Mar 17 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Belcrono wrote:
That is just something left from Tanaka though, it would just be speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi would have used other races if he had made the game completely from scratch.


If Yoshida had made the game from scratch, we would have had six races instead of five, and all of them would have been female-only.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#47 Mar 17 2013 at 9:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Oh my, I know it's too much to expect them to be used it battles. It's nice that we have access to them at all! Yoshi sure knows how to please.Smiley: grin
#48 Mar 17 2013 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'd love to see them usable in battle. Could even just be a "travel battle" situation, which would alleviate the boredom of traveling long distances. Give them a limited battery power and nuke the XP you earn, presto.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#49 Mar 18 2013 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Oh come on, what about the Races of XIV? Might as well call Miq'ote Mithra and Roegadyn Galka.

Tell me you don't?! Smiley: lol
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 37 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (37)