Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Is combat changing for ARR?auto attack made me quit the gameFollow

#27 Apr 03 2013 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I've read several interviews in which media testers were surprised at how fast the new battle system is.

That said, I'm guessing we won't have an idea about how good the battle system really is until further along in the beta process.

But yes, according to media reports, it is definitely fast. If it's that much faster, it's probably not as clunky as it used to be.


I have only seen Wint say that.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 1:26pm by Killua125


And what have other media outlets who have had hands-on time with the game, and are not breaking NDA, have you spoken to?
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#28 Apr 03 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I've read several interviews in which media testers were surprised at how fast the new battle system is.

That said, I'm guessing we won't have an idea about how good the battle system really is until further along in the beta process.

But yes, according to media reports, it is definitely fast. If it's that much faster, it's probably not as clunky as it used to be.


I have only seen Wint say that.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 1:26pm by Killua125


I spent waaaaaay too long doing your homework for you.

Massively

Quote:
I mentioned before that the slower, non-standard cooldown doesn't really slow down combat that much, and part of the reason is that combat is fast. In single-target battles, you can unload a lot with your TP starting at max, but you do need to be somewhat careful lest you run out when you'll need it. Skills hit hard enough that while you won't be spamming one ability repeatedly, hitting it once or twice in the course of a battle has the same net effect. You wind up with the same sense of making a calculated choice rather than hammering on buttons, but the fights feel faster and more responsive.


RPGamer

Quote:
The newbie area of the Black Shroud was filled with some squirrels, ladybugs, and Funguars, all of which fell very quickly to the two techniques I had at my disposal: Gloom Arrow and Heavy Shot. Mr. Yoshida mentioned earlier that making battles shorter was a selling point of A Realm Reborn


IGN

Quote:
Compared to the sluggish tedium of Final Fantasy XIV’s original combat system, A Realm Reborn’s is noticeably faster. More importantly, the interface is hugely improved. It actually responds to inputs instead of constantly lagging a few fractions of a second behind or longer.


Smiley: schooled

I'm sure there are more, these are just the first few I found. I'm also sure you won't care, but it was a good exercise for me, I have more sources for my compendium now.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#29 Apr 03 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
[quote=Thayos]I've read several interviews in which media testers were surprised at how fast the new battle system is.

That said, I'm guessing we won't have an idea about how good the battle system really is until further along in the beta process.

But yes, according to media reports, it is definitely fast. If it's that much faster, it's probably not as clunky as it used to be.


I have only seen Wint say that.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 1:26pm by Killua125

I spent waaaaaay too long doing your homework for you.

snip

Oh Sh*t!

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 2:01pm by Louiscool
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#30 Apr 03 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
I am actually curious about which media reports ever claimed that he battles were slow or clunky? I read tons about ARR, and can't recall seeing that criticism from anyone who got to test the game.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#31 Apr 03 2013 at 12:22 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Thayos wrote:
I am actually curious about which media reports ever claimed that he battles were slow or clunky? I read tons about ARR, and can't recall seeing that criticism from anyone who got to test the game.


None! They have all pretty much said the same, compared to 1.0, 2.0 is fast.
____________________________
MUTED
#32 Apr 03 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Decent
*
144 posts
xenatore wrote:
Quote:
He's basing his answer on Alpha footage and 2nd hand interviews. Nobody has seen what they've done since Phase 1 of the beta, there are many months of changes to come before the final product is released. I encourage you to wait until Phase 4 (or sign up for the beta now), and try it yourself before writing the game off.


Isn't that the same all people said with FFXIV 1.0?
Wait till it's out?!
I know Yoshi-P is different then Tanaka, but I doubt they'll change the overall combat system.
What do you think?

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 5:09am by xenatore


As opposed to what, the fruitless activity of judging it now with little to no info of current improvements? Yeah, let’s make lasting judgments about a game that’s not finished! Trolls and nay sayers like to proclaim that people who defend or think positively of FFXIV ARR are what is wrong in the first place. Our line of thinking is what hurts SE.. But I beg to differ, it’s silly comments like this that hurt SE. Any new comer who automatically sees the trolls talking bad about the game or taking small problems (which by the way could already be fixed by now) and blow them up to make the game seem bad. Ney sayers are the ones who hurt SE. Its ok to criticize in a positive way "hey you guys kind of messed up on this, you should think about fixing it." Instead of, "OMG they don’t have enough beards in the character customizations FFXIV ARR is going to flop!!!" Yes, wait till the game is closer to being complete.. Then decide. You want SE to redeem itself but you won’t give it the time necessary to do so.. For people who come to FFXIV forums and claim to want the game to do good and be good, you do more harm towards the brand and what people think about it than helping it with your so called "constructive criticism."
#33 Apr 03 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Technically the game is Finished! Is already on Beta, what you will see on beta, will be what you will see on release, with the exception of bug fixes, and combat adjusments, but the core systems will be there :)

Also we have limited information because that is how SE has chosen to do it. And i do not blame them on this one.
____________________________
MUTED
#34Killua125, Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 12:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That depends on how long they want to/are permitted to stay in testing. If they end up making enough changes, it could be different from what it is now.
#35 Apr 03 2013 at 1:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,735 posts
Odds are that fundamental systems like the user interface are sticking with the way they are now.

Combat could be tweaked. Area flow could be tweaked. Character progression could be tweaked.

Until you actually get a chance to play with it, don't make any judgments.

I almost wish SE would put out some more beta footage to give people something to look at and speculate about rather than relying on alpha footage for stuff like this.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#36 Apr 03 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
edit, wrong thread.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 3:19pm by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#37 Apr 03 2013 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
Ostia wrote:
Technically the game is Finished! Is already on Beta, what you will see on beta, will be what you will see on release, with the exception of bug fixes, and combat adjusments, but the core systems will be there :)

Also we have limited information because that is how SE has chosen to do it. And i do not blame them on this one.


If there are things to fix/tweak then the game is NOT finnished.. Yeah the frame work is done.. Only someone like tanaka would call a game in beta finnished lmao.. Its in beta for a reason.. I'm talking phase 4/ launch.. Aside from this.. the "finnished" game has yet to be seen to form a judgment is the point.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 3:35pm by AlexandEric
#38 Apr 03 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
AlexandEric wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Technically the game is Finished! Is already on Beta, what you will see on beta, will be what you will see on release, with the exception of bug fixes, and combat adjusments, but the core systems will be there :)

Also we have limited information because that is how SE has chosen to do it. And i do not blame them on this one.


If there are things to fix/tweak then the game is NOT finnished.. Yeah the frame work is done.. Only someone like tanaka would call a game in beta finnished lmao.. Its in beta for a reason.. I'm talking phase 4/ launch.. Aside from this.. the "finnished" game has yet to be seen to form a judgment is the point.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2013 3:35pm by AlexandEric


Yes because so many and many MMORPGS have been released in the last decade that from beta to release where drastically changed...... Oh wait!

Also the "Finished" game has been seen, we just cannot talk about it, Two entirely different things.
____________________________
MUTED
#39 Apr 03 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
Small change or or big change finnished is finnished sir. So no the finnished game HASNT been seen. Also even if the so called finnished game has been seen, if you cant talk about it whats the point? What is the point of the NDA if not for something that were in are our and some things that are out are now in? So again.. Until the finnished game is in open beta/launch there is no point in making a lasting judgment because nothing is set in stone hence the point of player feed back.. If enough people say it sucks will it stay in? If enough people say it needs to be in that may very well happend. you dont know.. Its not finnished. :)
#40 Apr 03 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
AlexandEric wrote:
Small change or or big change finnished is finnished sir. So no the finnished game HASNT been seen. Also even if the so called finnished game has been seen, if you cant talk about it whats the point? What is the point of the NDA if not for something that were in are our and some things that are out are now in? So again.. Until the finnished game is in open beta/launch there is no point in making a lasting judgment because nothing is set in stone hence the point of player feed back.. If enough people say it sucks will it stay in? If enough people say it needs to be in that may very well happend. you dont know.. Its not finnished. :)


By that logic an MMORPG is never finished, because it always evolving and being tweked, at some point it is what it is, also no game in beta has been "Drastically" changed from beta to release, so what people will see in beta, is what they should expect more or less on release, with fixes and adjusments here and there, now if this where Alpha, then you might have had an argument, also considering XIV track record.... Yeah we have been here before.
____________________________
MUTED
#41 Apr 03 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts



Got an error when clicking the link.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]304823[/ffxivsig]
#42 Apr 03 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,735 posts
Try this one instead.

http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#43 Apr 03 2013 at 4:42 PM Rating: Default
*
230 posts
Ostia wrote:
AlexandEric wrote:
Small change or or big change finnished is finnished sir. So no the finnished game HASNT been seen. Also even if the so called finnished game has been seen, if you cant talk about it whats the point? What is the point of the NDA if not for something that were in are our and some things that are out are now in? So again.. Until the finnished game is in open beta/launch there is no point in making a lasting judgment because nothing is set in stone hence the point of player feed back.. If enough people say it sucks will it stay in? If enough people say it needs to be in that may very well happend. you dont know.. Its not finnished. :)


By that logic an MMORPG is never finished, because it always evolving and being tweked, at some point it is what it is, also no game in beta has been "Drastically" changed from beta to release, so what people will see in beta, is what they should expect more or less on release, with fixes and adjusments here and there, now if this where Alpha, then you might have had an argument, also considering XIV track record.... Yeah we have been here before.


Ive been in betas that have taken certain elements out completely. Beta isnt the end all be all you make it out to be. Even so, by your own submission alpha to finnish can have drastic change right? All we really have is alpha videos and other tid bits from interviews.. We dont even know whats going on in beta (even if we do we cant talk about it so there is no use for it here so it is irrelevent). So we dont have a "finnished" game to fairly judge the game. Also to say the game is finnished by beata is silly.. You say, 'at some point it is what it is." Well I would say it hasnt reached that point. You like to always bring up SE short comings and track record well.. Lets look at it then.. Everyones favorite saying was in my experience "FFXIV 1.0 was released as an unfinished game it should have been in alpha/beta longer." Why would people make that argument unless they believed it could have "drastically" changed the game so that it was enjoyable and kept more subs? If ARR were released at Beta phase 1 I bet it would probably look something like 1.0 and the same remarks would be made.. So no I dont agree beta is a finnished game. That IS the very point of beta.. Change.. See what works what doesnt work with a greater gaming community playing your game. So it is not finnished. It wasnt with 1.0 and it wouldnt be now. At the most you could say the foundation has been laid and frame work in place but the game by no means is finnished.. It has its major pillars im sure but it is not done. We are still looking at about 3 more onths of beta.. That is alot of work and testing. Some of the elements Yoshi-P wants to make ready at launch like housing or our own airships or some other things he mentioned.. But he is unsure if it will make it. I would say releasing ARR with housing would be a more note worthy change then releasing without it. Again we dont know beta specifics to say its reached the point of "it is what it is." I would submit to you that the "Finnished" game to us should be defined by what the makers call finished. Which is, the point of release where they actually try to sell the game. At launch and not any sooner. I understand what your saying but I respectfully disagree. Finnished is when the maker is comfortable trying to actually sell it. If at that point it still sucks, THEN say it sucks. Have at it!
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#44 Apr 03 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,735 posts
Quote:
Finnished


The game is being Englished, Frenched, Germaned, and Japanesed. I'm afraid it isn't being Finnished anytime soon.

Smiley: clownSmiley: clownSmiley: clown

I'm a bad person.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#45 Apr 03 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
230 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
Finnished


The game is being Englished, Frenched, Germaned, and Japanesed. I'm afraid it isn't being Finnished anytime soon.

Smiley: clownSmiley: clownSmiley: clown

I'm a bad person.

Good catch ;) ..You have rendered my entire argument useless.. Thanks Callion.
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#46 Apr 04 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
tpgsoldier wrote:


Thanks. I fixed my original post to what Callinon linked so no one else gets confused.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)