Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

What class/job will you main in ARR first? (poll request)Follow

#1 Jun 03 2013 at 1:35 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,216 posts
*Thanks gaxe

(Poll below)

Looks like SMN is completely dominating right now. It wasn't that popular in XI pre-SMNBURN. Interesting.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 3:52pm by Transmigration

Edited, Jun 4th 2013 11:28am by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#2 Jun 03 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
262 posts
I've been going back and forth on this.

I wanted to originally go pug/mnk, but my old ways are creeping in and I'm really wanting to swing that big axe like I did in XI and go with mar/war. Punching stuff multiple times sounds great in my head, but chopping stuff in half with a big %$@!ing axe sounds better.
#3 Jun 03 2013 at 1:41 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,256 posts
Which will you take to 50 first and play full time?
Gladiator:1 (1.0%)
Pugilist:3 (3.1%)
Lancer:1 (1.0%)
Marauder:1 (1.0%)
Archer:2 (2.1%)
Paladin:8 (8.3%)
Monk:7 (7.3%)
Dragoon:10 (10.4%)
Warrior:5 (5.2%)
Bard:8 (8.3%)
Conjurer:1 (1.0%)
Thaumaturge:3 (3.1%)
Arcanist:5 (5.2%)
White Mage:7 (7.3%)
Black Mage:11 (11.5%)
Summoner:12 (12.5%)
Carpenter:0 (0.0%)
Blacksmith:0 (0.0%)
Armorer:0 (0.0%)
Goldsmith:2 (2.1%)
Leatherworker:0 (0.0%)
Miner:0 (0.0%)
Botanist:1 (1.0%)
Fisher:2 (2.1%)
Scholar:2 (2.1%)
None:2 (2.1%)
Alchemist:1 (1.0%)
Cullinarian:1 (1.0%)
Total:96


Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 3:41pm by lolgaxe

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 3:42pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Jun 03 2013 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
Hatamaz wrote:
I've been going back and forth on this.

I wanted to originally go pug/mnk, but my old ways are creeping in and I'm really wanting to swing that big axe like I did in XI and go with mar/war. Punching stuff multiple times sounds great in my head, but chopping stuff in half with a big %$@!ing axe sounds better.


That is a tough choice. MNK has a lot of style and grace, but WAR just looks brutal.

*Thanks lolgaxe

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 3:42pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#5 Jun 03 2013 at 1:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Botany for me. I'll branch out and level complimentary crafts for it. Once those are 50, I'll move on to another set of complimenting DoL/DoH classes. My preferred job (SAM) is not yet available, so I'm waiting around for that. I'm prepared to wait for quite a while if need be.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#6 Jun 03 2013 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
607 posts
I have no clue. As stated in a previous thread I plan on taking all jobs (DoW and DoM) to either 10 or 15 then make a commitment from there.
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#7 Jun 03 2013 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,216 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Botany for me. I'll branch out and level complimentary crafts for it. Once those are 50, I'll move on to another set of complimenting DoL/DoH classes. My preferred job (SAM) is not yet available, so I'm waiting around for that. I'm prepared to wait for quite a while if need be.


That's a good idea. Get rich and blow it on your SAM when it drops.
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#8 Jun 03 2013 at 2:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
567 posts
Dragoon.
____________________________
FFXIV Lodestone:
Broken Fox / Excalibur
#9 Jun 03 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Lalafell Marauder/Warrior...Speak softly and carry a big a$$ axe Smiley: grin
#10 Jun 03 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
Botany for me. I'll branch out and level complimentary crafts for it. Once those are 50, I'll move on to another set of complimenting DoL/DoH classes. My preferred job (SAM) is not yet available, so I'm waiting around for that. I'm prepared to wait for quite a while if need be.


That's a good idea. Get rich and blow it on your SAM when it drops.


Yeah, I spent a long time watching some YT videos of a Legacy player who focused on BLM, Botany and Weaving. I know things will be different in 2.0 but it definitely did give me a lot of good ideas.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#11 Jun 03 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
30 posts
I had to go with PLD, I really enjoy the "knight" classes, especially when they are tanks. I hope the release samurai and some point (and I am still playing).
#12 Jun 03 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,165 posts
Why are classes and jobs separate? They share the same level.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#13 Jun 03 2013 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
Botany for me. I'll branch out and level complimentary crafts for it. Once those are 50, I'll move on to another set of complimenting DoL/DoH classes. My preferred job (SAM) is not yet available, so I'm waiting around for that. I'm prepared to wait for quite a while if need be.


That's a good idea. Get rich and blow it on your SAM when it drops.


Yeah, I spent a long time watching some YT videos of a Legacy player who focused on BLM, Botany and Weaving. I know things will be different in 2.0 but it definitely did give me a lot of good ideas.


Blm/bot/weav is definitely the way I plan to go. I'll support myself financially through my DOL. When I get these 3 up to 50, I'll probably start another DOL/DOH combo, unless thf has been rolled out by then.
#14 Jun 03 2013 at 2:54 PM Rating: Decent
Right now, I have 0 plans to level anything right now. My only commitment is that I will purchase my pre-ordered PS3 copy, install it, and give ARR a chance.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Viddler: http://www.viddler.com/explore/pawkeshup/
UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pawkeshup-s-gaming-stream
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#15 Jun 03 2013 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Why are classes and jobs separate? They share the same level.


Because they behave differently. From the descriptions I've read, I'm very interested in Arcanist. Summoner however doesn't interest me nearly as much and I'll only play it if I have to for raids. If I can compete with Arcanist, I'll be playing that. Same with Archer and Bard. I don't want to play a harp, I want to dump arrows in to baddies. Some class/jobs are very similar, others are not. As such, they are separate. For example, I don't see anyone playing DRG that would prefer LNC, but you never know. Information like this may show SE that some of us are more interested in the starting classes too. I would love to play a dual-wielding GLD, but I don't have much interest in a 2H axe WAR. They may put more effort in to the development of these base classes if there is an interest in them beyond being a stepping stone to their corresponding Job.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 5:28pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#16 Jun 03 2013 at 3:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,216 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Right now, I have 0 plans to level anything right now. My only commitment is that I will purchase my pre-ordered PS3 copy, install it, and give ARR a chance.


Since that's all any of us are going to do, I'm sure you have a certain class in mind that you're going to give it a chance with?
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#17 Jun 03 2013 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,165 posts
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#18 Jun 03 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,216 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#19 Jun 03 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Lalafell BLM all the way. I always liked the idea in any rpg/MMO to have a small guy with devastating power. I always try to go that way if i have the choice. Most people go for the humans or the more bada$$/cuter races but i always try to go with the weakest or smaller looking race because in my mind its more awesome to make a "weaker" guy more powerful than a guy that already looks like that.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#20 Jun 03 2013 at 4:00 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,165 posts
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#21 Jun 03 2013 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.



Well if i am getting this right then maybe cause you just don't like playing bard anymore.

I should really stop posting when i am half drunk cause i can't read at all.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#22 Jun 03 2013 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,760 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Lalafell Marauder/Warrior...Speak softly and carry a big a$$ axe Smiley: grin


I like your style. Most likely warrior for me as well, possibly paladin if the tanking is more fun. I'll prob end up with most jobs at 50 if the grind isn't too bad though.
#23 Jun 03 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Excellent
*
98 posts
I think I'm looking forward to mining and goldsmith. I want shiny things *__*

Atkascha wrote:
Botany for me. I'll branch out and level complimentary crafts for it. Once those are 50, I'll move on to another set of complimenting DoL/DoH classes. My preferred job (SAM) is not yet available, so I'm waiting around for that. I'm prepared to wait for quite a while if need be.


That makes me nervous...lol
#24 Jun 03 2013 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,099 posts
I find this quite difficult to answer.

My main before the Calamity was Dragoon. But Lin Celistine will likely not be my only character. She will continue to be a dragoon however.

But I plan on taking a different approach with my game this time around. Creating a CAST of characters to play rather than stick to just one. So I'm not so sure if she'll continue to be my favorite among them. I'll have to see how things develop.
#25 Jun 03 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.


Because Archer -> Bard is DD -> Support. If someone has no interest in support classes but they want to be an Archer, they're going to avoid the Bard quest if they can help it.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#26 Jun 03 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Decent
Transmigration wrote:
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Right now, I have 0 plans to level anything right now. My only commitment is that I will purchase my pre-ordered PS3 copy, install it, and give ARR a chance.


Since that's all any of us are going to do, I'm sure you have a certain class in mind that you're going to give it a chance with?

Not really, no. I could go on, but I promised myself I won't go ranting about my view on the game until I play it.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Viddler: http://www.viddler.com/explore/pawkeshup/
UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pawkeshup-s-gaming-stream
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#27 Jun 03 2013 at 4:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Aekotie the Fussy wrote:

That makes me nervous...lol


Why, though? I'm still going to be our tank for when we do decide to go level up together...
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#28 Jun 03 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Excellent
BartelX wrote:
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Lalafell Marauder/Warrior...Speak softly and carry a big a$$ axe Smiley: grin


I like your style. Most likely warrior for me as well, possibly paladin if the tanking is more fun. I'll prob end up with most jobs at 50 if the grind isn't too bad though.


Thank you Smiley: grin I'll probably do PUG/MNK too, I like the idea of jumping around like Yoda in Attack of the Clones.
#29 Jun 03 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,165 posts
Atkascha wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.


Because Archer -> Bard is DD -> Support. If someone has no interest in support classes but they want to be an Archer, they're going to avoid the Bard quest if they can help it.


I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#30 Jun 03 2013 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Lalafell Marauder/Warrior...Speak softly and carry a big a$$ axe Smiley: grin


I'm thinking along the same lines... provided lalafell don't have a significant stat disadvantage for melee, I will have a hard time not rolling one. Seeing taru pld or nin tanks in FFXI was awesome. I flip-flop every other day about which race I want to roll.
#31 Jun 03 2013 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Bororim wrote:
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
Lalafell Marauder/Warrior...Speak softly and carry a big a$$ axe Smiley: grin


I'm thinking along the same lines... provided lalafell don't have a significant stat disadvantage for melee, I will have a hard time not rolling one. Seeing taru pld or nin tanks in FFXI was awesome. I flip-flop every other day about which race I want to roll.


I've been hearing the stat difference will be minor if anything. I'm pretty set on lalafell melee but I've been entertaining the thought of a Roegadyn named Prince Vultan..."HAWKMEN DIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!"
#32 Jun 03 2013 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.


Because Archer -> Bard is DD -> Support. If someone has no interest in support classes but they want to be an Archer, they're going to avoid the Bard quest if they can help it.


I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover


That's exactly the point. Archer should either be pure DD or branch off in to a RNG class. I (and many others) don't understand why the only Archery based classes in the game are support based when it's expected that a bow using class would dish out quite a bit of DPS, almost on par with a job like BLM. Think about how many people played RNG as their main job in FFXI, or all those transitioning from WoW as a Hunter? What choice will they have if that is their favorite playstyle. It seems like a stupid thing to ignore on SE's part if you ask me.

I have a 3-legged water turtle named Turbo.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 7:26pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#33 Jun 03 2013 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,216 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Right now, I have 0 plans to level anything right now. My only commitment is that I will purchase my pre-ordered PS3 copy, install it, and give ARR a chance.


Since that's all any of us are going to do, I'm sure you have a certain class in mind that you're going to give it a chance with?

Not really, no. I could go on, but I promised myself I won't go ranting about my view on the game until I play it.


Seeing that you're still an avid player of FFXI, I can understand why. (not being sarcastic) It is quite a diversion from the old formula, and draws much more from other MMOs it seems. Original XIV launch broke my heart though, for real.
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#34 Jun 03 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover


Sorry, let me rephrase. Archers don't go around singing and dancing in tunics with flutes.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#35 Jun 03 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
Atkascha wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover


Sorry, let me rephrase. Archers don't go around singing and dancing in tunics with flutes.


lolololol
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#36 Jun 03 2013 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
Intetesting to see how many dedicated warriors there will be with it being a tank. I hope dark knight is a warrior branch in the future, because if warrior is a 2nd class DD and 2nd class tank, it'll just be a token dungeon job and situational guild pet.

Im worried about warrior in raiding.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#37 Jun 03 2013 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
***
3,165 posts
Atkascha wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover


Sorry, let me rephrase. Archers don't go around singing and dancing in tunics with flutes.


I get that you want a ranged damage dealer.

However, I feel that your argument holds the same weight as someone who picks Gladiator, equips Conjurer and Thaumaturge abilities, and does it out of protest because S-E didn't include "Red Mage".

Are you playing Archer out of protest because S-E won't introduce a ranged DD, or because you really think that changing to Bard will destroy your stats from your Archer (because it won't).
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#38 Jun 03 2013 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
141 posts
That poll is a touch broken for me, theres only gonna be 2 battle classes that i need to get to 50 which are the new ones, i have mnr and gsm to 50....kinda need to work on crafting but i hate it and make all my dough through mining...

But my main is war.

Edit:

The problem with waiting around for the possibility of your fav job to come out is sort of silly because it will require abilities from other classes to reach its full potential.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 8:14pm by Asukuu
#39 Jun 03 2013 at 6:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,674 posts
THF...

If I keep saying it it might come true...right?

Seriously, probably MNK or DRG. (In haste I typed DERG, which reminded me of ERMEHGERD, so from now on I'm going to use that typo and rename DRG, DERG.)

Smiley: rolleyes

Smiley: grin
#40 Jun 03 2013 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but Archer is not a pure DD. Just like Bard, it is a hybrid. By the time you upgrade from Archer to Bard the abilities you will get fron switching will likely outweigh the cross class abilities you have at your disposal.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 4:02pm by UltKnightGrover


Sorry, let me rephrase. Archers don't go around singing and dancing in tunics with flutes.


I get that you want a ranged damage dealer.

However, I feel that your argument holds the same weight as someone who picks Gladiator, equips Conjurer and Thaumaturge abilities, and does it out of protest because S-E didn't include "Red Mage".

Are you playing Archer out of protest because S-E won't introduce a ranged DD, or because you really think that changing to Bard will destroy your stats from your Archer (because it won't).


I'm not playing Archer at all. I'm playing Arcanist. I'm saying that Archer should be a pure DD path, whereas BRD should be the support path. I don't gimp myself to be unique in any game. I always play whatever is optimum. The fact that there is no optimum ranged physical dps class is the point of the discussion. While I'm not necessarily a FotM'er, I will level classes/jobs in MMOs that successfully top the charts. I enjoy meter humping.

The ARC/BRD thing is just an example of how I and many others view the class/job dilema. I feel classes should be fleshed out to fit a role and not pidgeonholed into equipping their jobstone (or whatever) to join a raid. The class should stand on it's own within a defined role. Gladiator shouldn't just be a paladin without magic, it should have it's own advantages in a group setting. In a game that's so centered around PvE, this is completely possible. People will want it, and this dev team will listen; unlike XI's team.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 8:19pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#41 Jun 03 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Excellent
*
98 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Why, though? I'm still going to be our tank for when we do decide to go level up together...


Call it needless concern~ I suppose I was just under the impression that we wouldn't be playing DoW/DoM classes until you rule the free market with an iron fist, calling shots on what goes on the Auction House and running a syndicate to get rid of the competition(Note: This is just a dramatized imagination coming from an eccentrically amused and possibly drugged up Asian! ...Maybe~)


UltKnightGrover wrote:
I get that you want a ranged damage dealer.

However, I feel that your argument holds the same weight as someone who picks Gladiator, equips Conjurer and Thaumaturge abilities, and does it out of protest because S-E didn't include "Red Mage".

Are you playing Archer out of protest because S-E won't introduce a ranged DD, or because you really think that changing to Bard will destroy your stats from your Archer (because it won't).


I think the point being made is someone that wants to try and become a ranged DD class won't go for the Soul of a Bard because it will be a bit redundant, unless a Bard will make an Archer stronger DPS-wise?
#42 Jun 03 2013 at 6:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
141 posts
Bard gets the songs, which are more useful than the little dps a archer can do. and in 1.0 brd/archer werent even used in boss fights, ive heard of people using it on iffy X, but purely for refresh song.
#43 Jun 03 2013 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
***
1,216 posts
Asukuu wrote:
Bard gets the songs, which are more useful than the little dps a archer can do. and in 1.0 brd/archer werent even used in boss fights, ive heard of people using it on iffy X, but purely for refresh song.


Highlighting the point even more. What is the purpose of having a class that does terrible damage and brings no utility. This will need to be addressed with balancing, a buff, or the introduction of RNG.
____________________________
Eithne Alasdair - Ultros
#44 Jun 03 2013 at 6:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
141 posts
well i guess we will get to play with it in phase 3, ill get my 1.0 toon back and play around. Bard was fun in 1.0 it just wasnt used for DD purposes
#45 Jun 03 2013 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
***
3,165 posts
Asukuu wrote:
Bard gets the songs, which are more useful than the little dps a archer can do. and in 1.0 brd/archer werent even used in boss fights, ive heard of people using it on iffy X, but purely for refresh song.


This analysis is inaccurate. Bard was actually very useful in 1.0.

In Garuda they were used to clean-up the wind adds that damaged the rocks. There was Gloom Arrow and there was another AoE WS that only Bard obtained did wonders on cleanup.

For all primals Sacred Prism+Sanguine Rite could almost fill up everyones MP bar when they did their ultimate move. (Thaumaturges [not BLM] could also use this combination with an increased defense from maining Sanguine Rite . However, it was at the expense of the loss of BLM ancient magic and Convert... so it wasn't really worth it on their end.)

Swiftsong was an AoE movement speed+ song that greatly helped on doing speedruns for the dungeons.

A Bard and Monk combination is very deadly due to Monk requiring MP to do its attacks. (And it uses those attacks very often). A Bard can deal some moderate damage in between song timers.

Bards can also clean up the ant adds with its AoE weapon skills on the Princess boss in Cutter's Cry.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#46 Jun 03 2013 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,099 posts
If Ranger, Archer, or Bard, are able to deal fully comparable damage to a Melee DD, without some major catch setbacks, they would completely obliterate other DD classes.

Archer has reduced damage compared to a dedicated DD because of the added safety of being ranged. Bard adds utility which makes it useful to the party. However a decked out Damage orientated Bard is going to out-preform the dps of an Archer, due to self buffs and added combo/finishers.

So I'd have to say the implementation of Ranger or some alternative class/job combination for ranged damage is a must, but it likely will not come as an equal DD to the Melees, due to balancing issues.
#47 Jun 03 2013 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
141 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
Bard gets the songs, which are more useful than the little dps a archer can do. and in 1.0 brd/archer werent even used in boss fights, ive heard of people using it on iffy X, but purely for refresh song.


This analysis is inaccurate. Bard was actually very useful in 1.0.

In Garuda they were used to clean-up the wind adds that damaged the rocks. There was Gloom Arrow and there was another AoE WS that only Bard obtained did wonders on cleanup.

For all primals Sacred Prism+Sanguine Rite could almost fill up everyones MP bar when they did their ultimate move. (Thaumaturges [not BLM] could also use this combination with an increased defense from maining Sanguine Rite . However, it was at the expense of the loss of BLM ancient magic and Convert... so it wasn't really worth it on their end.)

Swiftsong was an AoE movement speed+ song that greatly helped on doing speedruns for the dungeons.

. A Bard and Monk combination is very deadly due to Monk requiring MP to do its attacks(And it uses those attacks very often). A Bard can deal some moderate damage in between song timers.

Bards can also clean up the ant adds with its AoE weapon skills on the Princess boss in Cutter's Cry.


ok ok well for primals bard was used in moogles and garuda, so yeah that was inaccurate, but lolifrit blm rape and the fight was over in 3 mins.

they were used during the speed run yes, however get to the final boss and they job swapped. AV was tank whm blm 5xmnk, CC my LS melee burned it pld, war 2 drg 3mnk 1whm, or you could blm burn it.

yeah having a bard with a mnk was good but mnk also had a ws that when used in combo it restored their mp, negating the need for a bard if you knew what you were doing, my LS did hard mode darnus with a mnk and no brd and our mnks knew how to keep their mp up

this is a mid boss, so yes there would have been a bard present for swiftsong for the speedrun still, and having 2-3 drg in the party the adds dont really matter.


Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 8:47pm by Asukuu
#48 Jun 03 2013 at 6:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,066 posts
Arcanist, since my Scholar in FF11 is stuck at 50 since i last played i'll try something new.Smiley: smile
____________________________





#49 Jun 03 2013 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,760 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
Intetesting to see how many dedicated warriors there will be with it being a tank. I hope dark knight is a warrior branch in the future, because if warrior is a 2nd class DD and 2nd class tank, it'll just be a token dungeon job and situational guild pet.

Im worried about warrior in raiding.


I'll be really bummed if this is the case. I think rather, that warrior is going to be more of an AoE tank for adds, while paladin will be a straight up 1 on 1 tank. I could be wrong with that thinking, but isn't that basically how it worked in 1.0? Also, I'm hoping that if you gear it properly it will hold it's own in DPS, and again be a good DD for AoE situations.
#50 Jun 03 2013 at 7:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
141 posts
BartelX wrote:
benjjjamin wrote:
Intetesting to see how many dedicated warriors there will be with it being a tank. I hope dark knight is a warrior branch in the future, because if warrior is a 2nd class DD and 2nd class tank, it'll just be a token dungeon job and situational guild pet.

Im worried about warrior in raiding.


I'll be really bummed if this is the case. I think rather, that warrior is going to be more of an AoE tank for adds, while paladin will be a straight up 1 on 1 tank. I could be wrong with that thinking, but isn't that basically how it worked in 1.0? Also, I'm hoping that if you gear it properly it will hold it's own in DPS, and again be a good DD for AoE situations.



Like ive said before war could tank everything just as good as a pld could except for hard mode darnus and iffy x. and war could be an awesome dd if you geared it properly.
#51 Jun 03 2013 at 7:13 PM Rating: Decent
Transmigration wrote:
Seeing that you're still an avid player of FFXI, I can understand why. (not being sarcastic) It is quite a diversion from the old formula, and draws much more from other MMOs it seems. Original XIV launch broke my heart though, for real.

Um...

No.

It's because FFXIV was just that bad. I played at launch, every melee felt like the same generic crap. Every mage felt like the same generic crap. Crafting was utterly disgusting. Leve grinding was idiotic. Everything took too long. Too many menus, too little content. EXP grinding was sh*t. Quests... what quests? Linkshell structure was terrible. No Auction House because OMG BUYING STUFF SHOULD BE AN ADVENTURE....

Basically all FFXIV had going for it was that it was pretty.

I may play FFXI, but I've also played CoH, WoW, LOTR:O, Eve: Online and a number of other games. My opinion of FFXIV was not impacted by FFXI. It was impacted solely by the steaming pile of sh*t that was FFXIV.

Edit:

IE this and this (second not my video but if I had done a video, that's what it would have been)

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 9:28pm by Pawkeshup
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Viddler: http://www.viddler.com/explore/pawkeshup/
UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pawkeshup-s-gaming-stream
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help