Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

PS3 with a mouse!Follow

#1 Jun 18 2013 at 6:23 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,173 posts
I just had to check to see if a mouse would work on the PS3 and was ecstatic to see that it does.

With a keyboard, mouse and controller all available for inputting commands, activities such as battle, item management, equipping armor are easier than I have ever seen before.

Drag-and-Drop: Thank you! The drag-and-drop UI options for equipping items is an incredible improvement. You can even use drag-and-drop from the Ability menu to assign abilities to your controller hotbar. Great to see the Mouse and Controller actually working together.

The ability to just press X on the controller to interact with items on the ground is a big plus. (Remember when you had to go into the menu to open a chest? Bah, glad that's over.) The auto-targeting of things directly in front of you seems pretty intuitive so far.

And as for targeting, d-pad is UP/DOWN for party members and LEFT/RIGHT for mobs. Woohoo! They really did listen and implement the feedback.

I do hope that the ability to re-map controller functions will be included at some point in the future (Looking at you, R3 = first-person camera. I DON'T want to accidentally 1st person during combat, thank you.)

One problem I did have with all three components hooked up: When I went into the menu via controller, all was good. But when I opened the menu via the keyboard shortcut, I could not figure out what keys moved the cursor around the menu. Left/right/up/down/strafe-right/strafe-left would all move my character, not the menu cursor. Anyone know the answer to this?

Anyway, I had some friends that were not aware that the PS3 would support a mouse, so I wanted to make sure to recommend it to all of those playing on PS3!
#2 Jun 18 2013 at 6:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Good to hear, I know this was asked a few times Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Jun 18 2013 at 7:33 AM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
So you are saying that if I connect both a Mouse and Keyboard that the layout is the same as the PC? and I have Action bars..etc?


#4 Jun 18 2013 at 7:37 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
36 posts
I think that's what he is saying. My only problem with pc controls instead of ps3/4 is the sensitivity. I like walk/run or sneaking based on how hard/much you pull on the controller. Or a single button with multifunction based on the button press and hold. And that is all.
#5 Jun 18 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
I have not seen the PC version UI. Not sure what the hotbars look like there.

I think what you are asking is if the hotbars for the controller are still present on the PS3 version if you connect both mouse and keyboard, and the answer is yes.

The L2 and R2 hot bars are still there. You can open the Ability menu and drag-and-drop abilities onto the hotbars, or you can use the controller itself to map the keys (using the mouse to drag-and-drop abilities is loads easier!)

I'm not sure if adding a controller to the PC version is quite the same as adding a mouse to the PS3 version. I am guessing that the PC version does NOT have the same L2 and R2 button mapping UI functions as the PS3 version does. Perhaps a PC user could clarify this. Or maybe we can use the screenshots thread to compare.
#6 Jun 18 2013 at 7:53 AM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
HaibaneRenmei wrote:
So you are saying that if I connect both a Mouse and Keyboard that the layout is the same as the PC? and I have Action bars..etc?





unfortunately it does not change it to the same UI as the PC version. There is no option to allow the keyboard to be the main way to control your character like on a PC that you can choose between mouse/keyboard or controller play style. The Keyboard will still only enter text and as far as i could see the mouse will only interact with your UI and not the world, by this I mean you cannot click on target-able npc's and so on. It does work to change the size of your chat box though. I know on the beta forums there has been some requests to change this so you can use the same set up as PC on the PS3

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:53am by elevens
#7 Jun 18 2013 at 7:54 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
36 posts
Since you're talking about the layout for the ps3. I'm curious if the L and R buttons are being used as modifiers and if you can customize the button layout. L1 + x o Triangle Square, and etc are different hotkeys, with the main buttons being something completely separate.

EDIT: something else came to mind. What if you can alter the way you want the layout to be, and you choose to have two or more modifiers, L1 and R1 for example, modify the other buttons. Then if you hold L1 and R1 together you get a third and so on. I hope they allow multi modifications, just have to remember the layout.

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:57am by SkilledZero
#8 Jun 18 2013 at 8:01 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
elevens wrote:
HaibaneRenmei wrote:
So you are saying that if I connect both a Mouse and Keyboard that the layout is the same as the PC? and I have Action bars..etc?





unfortunately it does not change it to the same UI as the PC version. There is no option to allow the keyboard to be the main way to control your character like on a PC that you can choose between mouse/keyboard or controller play style. The Keyboard will still only enter text and as far as i could see the mouse will only interact with your UI and not the world, by this I mean you cannot click on target-able npc's and so on. It does work to change the size of your chat box though. I know on the beta forums there has been some requests to change this so you can use the same set up as PC on the PS3

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:53am by elevens


On PS3, I had no trouble using the keyboard for movement, or using the mouse to target NPCs.

I know why! Because I remapped all the movement to number pad and arrow keys.

It is true that ANY typing on the normal letter-side of keyboard goes straight to the chat bar. Interesting to note that you can now chat in the middle of a menu or command because of this.

I could move my character using the arrow keys, the number pad or the controller. I could use the mouse for anything at all, targeting, menus, etc. It actually works far easier than using "Select" button to toggle through the various UI components. It took awhile just to understand how to access the UI through controller only. Adding the mouse makes that far easier.
#9 Jun 18 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Gnu wrote:
elevens wrote:
HaibaneRenmei wrote:
So you are saying that if I connect both a Mouse and Keyboard that the layout is the same as the PC? and I have Action bars..etc?





unfortunately it does not change it to the same UI as the PC version. There is no option to allow the keyboard to be the main way to control your character like on a PC that you can choose between mouse/keyboard or controller play style. The Keyboard will still only enter text and as far as i could see the mouse will only interact with your UI and not the world, by this I mean you cannot click on target-able npc's and so on. It does work to change the size of your chat box though. I know on the beta forums there has been some requests to change this so you can use the same set up as PC on the PS3

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:53am by elevens


On PS3, I had no trouble using the keyboard for movement, or using the mouse to target NPCs.

I know why! Because I remapped all the movement to number pad and arrow keys.

It is true that ANY typing on the normal letter-side of keyboard goes straight to the chat bar. Interesting to note that you can now chat in the middle of a menu or command because of this.

I could move my character using the arrow keys, the number pad or the controller. I could use the mouse for anything at all, targeting, menus, etc. It actually works far easier than using "Select" button to toggle through the various UI components. It took awhile just to understand how to access the UI through controller only. Adding the mouse makes that far easier.


I think I may get myself a little cheapo mouse for crafting and setting up UI components...
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#10 Jun 18 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
SkilledZero wrote:
Since you're talking about the layout for the ps3. I'm curious if the L and R buttons are being used as modifiers and if you can customize the button layout. L1 + x o Triangle Square, and etc are different hotkeys, with the main buttons being something completely separate.

EDIT: something else came to mind. What if you can alter the way you want the layout to be, and you choose to have two or more modifiers, L1 and R1 for example, modify the other buttons. Then if you hold L1 and R1 together you get a third and so on. I hope they allow multi modifications, just have to remember the layout.

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:57am by SkilledZero


This is how it works. You HOLD L2 to bring up the L2 hotbar, which makes up/down/left/right and x/y/triangle/circle all hotbar buttons. 8 choices under L2.

Then the same for R2, 8 choices under R2.

THEN, you can customize up to 8 different schemes for the L2 and R2. You toggle through the different scemes with L1 and R1.

So you have 8 buttons available on L2, and 8 buttons available on R2, (that's 16 hotbuttons per scheme). And 8 possible schemes to toggle through with R1 and L1. (16x8 = 144 total hot buttons you can set.)

I would guess you would make a new scheme per Class. Schemes that do not have ANY buttons set do not appear on the R1 and L1 toggling. So at first I just had two schemes, one for battle and one for menu items. Inventory, character, Armory, Crafting, etc. can all be set to these hotbar buttons.

Click R1 once for the battle scheme, R1 again back to menu scheme. In reality though I used the regular menu for the most part, unless I was just too lazy to set down the controller to use the mouse.

All the various options you have to bring up a given command are amazing.
#11 Jun 18 2013 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Gnu wrote:
SkilledZero wrote:
Since you're talking about the layout for the ps3. I'm curious if the L and R buttons are being used as modifiers and if you can customize the button layout. L1 + x o Triangle Square, and etc are different hotkeys, with the main buttons being something completely separate.

EDIT: something else came to mind. What if you can alter the way you want the layout to be, and you choose to have two or more modifiers, L1 and R1 for example, modify the other buttons. Then if you hold L1 and R1 together you get a third and so on. I hope they allow multi modifications, just have to remember the layout.

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 9:57am by SkilledZero


This is how it works. You HOLD L2 to bring up the L2 hotbar, which makes up/down/left/right and x/y/triangle/circle all hotbar buttons. 8 choices under L2.

Then the same for R2, 8 choices under R2.

THEN, you can customize up to 8 different schemes for the L2 and R2. You toggle through the different scemes with L1 and R1.

So you have 8 buttons available on L2, and 8 buttons available on R2, (that's 16 hotbuttons per scheme). And 8 possible schemes to toggle through with R1 and L1. (16x8 = 144 total hot buttons you can set.)

I would guess you would make a new scheme per Class. Schemes that do not have ANY buttons set do not appear on the R1 and L1 toggling. So at first I just had two schemes, one for battle and one for menu items. Inventory, character, Armory, Crafting, etc. can all be set to these hotbar buttons.

Click R1 once for the battle scheme, R1 again back to menu scheme. In reality though I used the regular menu for the most part, unless I was just too lazy to set down the controller to use the mouse.

All the various options you have to bring up a given command are amazing.


When you change classes it actually gives you a whole new set of 7 blank sets. The only thing that remains the same is set 8 which has emotes and stuff, and the set 1 L2 button side which has sprint, return, teleport, and.....something else I can't remember on it.

When you change back to your original class, all your sets are right how you set them up :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#12 Jun 18 2013 at 8:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
36 posts
Ok what about attacking an enemy, can I do it on the fly along with switching targets? Will I have to wait similar to how FFXI was setup or is it immediate. Think of an action game where you're running, charge into battle and press square to start a combo chain, is it that immediate or run charge up and select the option to begin attack phase, your character stalls, takes weapon out, then the auto attack begins momentarily similiar to FFXI combat was where you had to bring a menu up which consisted of Attack switch target consider etc etc. and you scrolled up and down the menu and selected what you wanted to do first.
#13 Jun 18 2013 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
SkilledZero wrote:
Ok what about attacking an enemy, can I do it on the fly along with switching targets? Will I have to wait similar to how FFXI was setup or is it immediate. Think of an action game where you're running, charge into battle and press square to start a combo chain, is it that immediate or run charge up and select the option to begin attack phase, your character stalls, takes weapon out, then the auto attack begins momentarily similiar to FFXI combat was where you had to bring a menu up which consisted of Attack switch target consider etc etc. and you scrolled up and down the menu and selected what you wanted to do first.


Target with dpad, hit "X" to lock on, start DPS rotation, mob dies, swap target, lock, rotation, etc... When I swapped over to Lancer I was XP chaining 5 or 6 mobs in a row before I ran out of stuff in my immediate vicinity to kill, and that was level 7 or so. Combat is quick. Lightning fast compared to FFXI.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#14 Jun 18 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
36 posts
LebargeX wrote:
SkilledZero wrote:
Ok what about attacking an enemy, can I do it on the fly along with switching targets? Will I have to wait similar to how FFXI was setup or is it immediate. Think of an action game where you're running, charge into battle and press square to start a combo chain, is it that immediate or run charge up and select the option to begin attack phase, your character stalls, takes weapon out, then the auto attack begins momentarily similiar to FFXI combat was where you had to bring a menu up which consisted of Attack switch target consider etc etc. and you scrolled up and down the menu and selected what you wanted to do first.


Target with dpad, hit "X" to lock on, start DPS rotation, mob dies, swap target, lock, rotation, etc... When I swapped over to Lancer I was XP chaining 5 or 6 mobs in a row before I ran out of stuff in my immediate vicinity to kill, and that was level 7 or so. Combat is quick. Lightning fast compared to FFXI.


Then allow me to release a sigh of relief then. Thanks.
#15 Jun 18 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,118 posts
Gnu wrote:

I'm not sure if adding a controller to the PC version is quite the same as adding a mouse to the PS3 version. I am guessing that the PC version does NOT have the same L2 and R2 button mapping UI functions as the PS3 version does. Perhaps a PC user could clarify this. Or maybe we can use the screenshots thread to compare.

Starting up the game on PC with a wired 360 controller hooked up, it asked for my preference. Choosing the controller gave me that cross hotbar layout the PS3 uses.

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 11:18am by TwistedOwl
#16 Jun 18 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Gnu wrote:
I'm not sure if adding a controller to the PC version is quite the same as adding a mouse to the PS3 version. I am guessing that the PC version does NOT have the same L2 and R2 button mapping UI functions as the PS3 version does. Perhaps a PC user could clarify this. Or maybe we can use the screenshots thread to compare.


It does actually. It works the same, I tested it out this weekend. It's the one thing I didn't like about using controller on PC, but as you said in another thread, there might be a workaround with the ability to toggle instead of having to hold down the buttons. Ideally I just want it to be a hotbar like it was in 1.0 on controller. I like that so much better.
#17 Jun 18 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
LebargeX wrote:


When you change classes it actually gives you a whole new set of 7 blank sets. The only thing that remains the same is set 8 which has emotes and stuff, and the set 1 L2 button side which has sprint, return, teleport, and.....something else I can't remember on it.

When you change back to your original class, all your sets are right how you set them up :)


Oh, Wow! So 144 available hot buttons per Class.

I found that the R2/L2 + buttons are far easier to use during combat than the R2/L2+ d-pad hot buttons. This is because your thumb is on the movement stick, and you have to move it for the d-pad hot buttons.

Because of this, I put my Healing, Attacks and Sprint on the R2/L2+button side. I put more menu related or buff related stuff under the R2/L2+Dpad side. Stuff I can stop for a second to trigger, or generally trigger while standing still anyway.

Having used a controller to D-pad thru abilities on the hotbars in 1.0, I'm finding the new Trigger+Button combo hotkeys to be vastly superior. The most basic stuff is all in one place. So with the R2 trigger held you have 4 abilities that are one-button press (while moving). That is more than enough for most basic encounters (for now.) Probably will need some advanced setups for partying and healing roles.

With all that said, if you could map your own controller buttons I would switch the functions of L1 and L2, and R1 and R2, so that the triggers cycled the sets. Just something about the way the tiny little PS3 controller fits in my hands makes the buttons easier than the triggers for general use, especially when holding it down.




#18 Jun 18 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Gnu wrote:

I'm not sure if adding a controller to the PC version is quite the same as adding a mouse to the PS3 version. I am guessing that the PC version does NOT have the same L2 and R2 button mapping UI functions as the PS3 version does. Perhaps a PC user could clarify this. Or maybe we can use the screenshots thread to compare.

Starting up the game on PC with a wired 360 controller hooked up, it asked for my preference. Choosing the controller gave me that cross hotbar layout the PS3 uses.

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 11:18am by TwistedOwl


Interesting, thanks for the info!

Sounds like some users want the hotbar layout to be an option on the PS3 as well, so they can use 1.0 hot bars with controller if they want.
#19 Jun 18 2013 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Gnu wrote:
LebargeX wrote:


When you change classes it actually gives you a whole new set of 7 blank sets. The only thing that remains the same is set 8 which has emotes and stuff, and the set 1 L2 button side which has sprint, return, teleport, and.....something else I can't remember on it.

When you change back to your original class, all your sets are right how you set them up :)


Oh, Wow! So 144 available hot buttons per Class.

I found that the R2/L2 + buttons are far easier to use during combat than the R2/L2+ d-pad hot buttons. This is because your thumb is on the movement stick, and you have to move it for the d-pad hot buttons.

Because of this, I put my Healing, Attacks and Sprint on the R2/L2+button side. I put more menu related or buff related stuff under the R2/L2+Dpad side. Stuff I can stop for a second to trigger, or generally trigger while standing still anyway.

Having used a controller to D-pad thru abilities on the hotbars in 1.0, I'm finding the new Trigger+Button combo hotkeys to be vastly superior. The most basic stuff is all in one place. So with the R2 trigger held you have 4 abilities that are one-button press (while moving). That is more than enough for most basic encounters (for now.) Probably will need some advanced setups for partying and healing roles.

With all that said, if you could map your own controller buttons I would switch the functions of L1 and L2, and R1 and R2, so that the triggers cycled the sets. Just something about the way the tiny little PS3 controller fits in my hands makes the buttons easier than the triggers for general use, especially when holding it down.


That's pretty much exactly how I'm setting mine up too :)

And I agree, they definitely need to give controller users the same freedom to set keybinds as kb users.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#20 Jun 18 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
712 posts
Gnu wrote:
LebargeX wrote:


When you change classes it actually gives you a whole new set of 7 blank sets. The only thing that remains the same is set 8 which has emotes and stuff, and the set 1 L2 button side which has sprint, return, teleport, and.....something else I can't remember on it.

When you change back to your original class, all your sets are right how you set them up :)


Oh, Wow! So 144 available hot buttons per Class.

I found that the R2/L2 + buttons are far easier to use during combat than the R2/L2+ d-pad hot buttons. This is because your thumb is on the movement stick, and you have to move it for the d-pad hot buttons.

Because of this, I put my Healing, Attacks and Sprint on the R2/L2+button side. I put more menu related or buff related stuff under the R2/L2+Dpad side. Stuff I can stop for a second to trigger, or generally trigger while standing still anyway.

Having used a controller to D-pad thru abilities on the hotbars in 1.0, I'm finding the new Trigger+Button combo hotkeys to be vastly superior. The most basic stuff is all in one place. So with the R2 trigger held you have 4 abilities that are one-button press (while moving). That is more than enough for most basic encounters (for now.) Probably will need some advanced setups for partying and healing roles.

With all that said, if you could map your own controller buttons I would switch the functions of L1 and L2, and R1 and R2, so that the triggers cycled the sets. Just something about the way the tiny little PS3 controller fits in my hands makes the buttons easier than the triggers for general use, especially when holding it down.


Great info, thanks so much. Are the L2 and R2 buttons related in any way to the F1-12 buttons? or Can we customize those too?
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM and SMN Craft Level 50: ALC, CUL, FSH, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp
World: Ultros
#21 Jun 18 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
F1 thru F12 are customizable through the Keybind option in the menu. They are separate from the controller completely.

They are preset to be Target Party Member 1, 2 ,3 etc. I changed them to be various menu options myself.

I like to use Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, Insert, Delete key for targeting Party Members 1-6. But I will likely just use D-pad Up/Down using the party list to target players.

There is enough customization, and multiple ways of doing the same thing, that I think most everyone will be able to use the varied tools available to create a custom scheme that works best for each Class and play style.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 136 All times are in CDT
Icehunter, Lantesh, Oplusion, Perrin, sandpark, Szabo, Anonymous Guests (130)