Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Attribute points question. Follow

#27 Jul 31 2013 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
BartelX wrote:
Also, there was a greyed out button in the beta to reset your stat points, I'm assuming this will be implemented for open beta/launch.

I had interpreted that to mean you could play around with stat allotment using the amount of available points at the time, and reset it before accepting it for good. i.e. If you had 5 points available, and added 3 to STR / 2 to VIT and didn't like how that looked, you could hit the reset button to return those 5 points back to your available pool rather than hitting the minus button 5 times.

I never payed any attention to it during Phase 3 for the few times I used those bonus points, so I can't say whether it actually worked that way or not.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#28 Jul 31 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
64 posts
svlyons wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Also, there was a greyed out button in the beta to reset your stat points, I'm assuming this will be implemented for open beta/launch.

I had interpreted that to mean you could play around with stat allotment using the amount of available points at the time, and reset it before accepting it for good. i.e. If you had 5 points available, and added 3 to STR / 2 to VIT and didn't like how that looked, you could hit the reset button to return those 5 points back to your available pool rather than hitting the minus button 5 times.

I never payed any attention to it during Phase 3 for the few times I used those bonus points, so I can't say whether it actually worked that way or not.


I'm fairly confident any changes wont be permanent. Possibly limited over time or with some sort of quest, but the backlash SE would face over any balance changes they might make to the stats in the future would be overwhelming otherwise. I'd liken it to Neural Remaps in EvE Online.

Edited, Jul 31st 2013 5:28pm by ScrapTower
#29 Jul 31 2013 at 5:32 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
197 posts
BartelX wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
Wint wrote:
I never even thought of that, now how will we know the difference between Archer and Arcanist!? Smiley: confused

I've just been calling it ACN until the official abbreviation pops up. It would be a whole lot easier if Archer was called Bowman. Then we could just abbreviate that BOW.


Same goes for Gladiator and Goldsmith. A lot of people abbreviate both as Gld.

Going from the abbreviations in-game (not that I like all of them!)
Archer = ARC
Arcanist = ACN
Gladiator = GLD
Goldsmith = GSM

Personally, I've been using ACH for archer, but otherwise (I assume) over time the in-game descriptors will win out ... maybe.
#30 Jul 31 2013 at 5:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
carmelita wrote:
BartelX wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
Wint wrote:
I never even thought of that, now how will we know the difference between Archer and Arcanist!? Smiley: confused

I've just been calling it ACN until the official abbreviation pops up. It would be a whole lot easier if Archer was called Bowman. Then we could just abbreviate that BOW.


Same goes for Gladiator and Goldsmith. A lot of people abbreviate both as Gld.

Going from the abbreviations in-game (not that I like all of them!)
Archer = ARC
Arcanist = ACN
Gladiator = GLD
Goldsmith = GSM

Personally, I've been using ACH for archer, but otherwise (I assume) over time the in-game descriptors will win out ... maybe.


Gladiator is actually GLA, both in 1.0 and ARR.

Edit: And what's more fun is that it seems everyone has unofficially recognized Pugilist as PUG, Smiley: lol while the gear lists it as PGL.

Edited, Jul 31st 2013 7:50pm by Ravashack
#31 Jul 31 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
Reminds me of when Treasures of Aht Urhgan was about to release for FFXI, people thought Blue Mage would be abbreviated as BUM Smiley: lol
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#32 Jul 31 2013 at 6:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Gladiator is actually GLA, both in 1.0 and ARR.

Edit: And what's more fun is that it seems everyone has unofficially recognized Pugilist as PUG, Smiley: lol while the gear lists it as PGL.

Edited, Jul 31st 2013 7:50pm by Ravashack

I think Pugilist would actually be PUG if it wasn't for the whole pickup group acronym thing. PUG does seem like a better fit for the class. Instead, we're stuck with PGL which I can't help but pronounce as puggle.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#33 Jul 31 2013 at 6:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Reminds me of when Treasures of Aht Urhgan was about to release for FFXI, people thought Blue Mage would be abbreviated as BUM Smiley: lol


I'm glad they didn't. There'd be no end to the jokes. "Hey, that's a nice looking BUM you have there!"
#34 Jul 31 2013 at 9:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
Xoie wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
Reminds me of when Treasures of Aht Urhgan was about to release for FFXI, people thought Blue Mage would be abbreviated as BUM Smiley: lol


I'm glad they didn't. There'd be no end to the jokes. "Hey, that's a nice looking BUM you have there!"

"Hey BUM, burst a Bomb Toss on that skillchain!" Smiley: sly
#35 Aug 03 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I really hope that SE allows us to configure the attribute points at will. I'm having a hard time with Arcanist because I found out SCH uses MND and SMN uses INT. If I boost my mind, I'd have to pick only SCH. This is because the attributes carry over to the Job class.
#36 Aug 03 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:

As of right now, attribute points are separated by class only. SMN and SCH, for instance, both share the same attribute points with ACN. So if you dump all your points into STR for MRD, your WAR gets stuck with STR. The reason I brought up a second job for MRD is that it will probably end up being a DPS that takes better advantage of STR.


Ahhh, this makes sense to me now. I better tell my GLD buddy that his PLD will be affected if he doesn't dump all VIT in it. I'm a bit skeptical of another class using MAR as a job right now. I suppose SAM would be the ideal choice, but it seems Ninja and Thief are on the table to fit stealth slots first. Anyways, you've helped me a great deal when specing out my MAR.


Gladiator should be dumping all of his points into STR, not VIT, due to being the mitigation tank. Marauder's better served splitting them with a 2/1 ratio (1 VIT for every 2 STR) due to being the soaker tank. There's also the fact that STR does affect your auto-attack damage and abilities as well as is part of the calculation used for threat abilities as both classes.

Also I think you mentioned it (or maybe it was something else but could have sworn it was yours), but VIT does not affect defense. VIT affect health and only health. Defense is only modified by Protect and gear.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I really hope that SE allows us to configure the attribute points at will. I'm having a hard time with Arcanist because I found out SCH uses MND and SMN uses INT. If I boost my mind, I'd have to pick only SCH. This is because the attributes carry over to the Job class.


It's taken down now due to a request from S-E, but there were traits not yet translated on xivdb.com. I know somewhere I saw something about an INT/MND swap and it wasn't from cleric stance.
#37 Aug 03 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Viertel wrote:


Gladiator should be dumping all of his points into STR, not VIT, due to being the mitigation tank. Marauder's better served splitting them with a 2/1 ratio (1 VIT for every 2 STR) due to being the soaker tank. There's also the fact that STR does affect your auto-attack damage and abilities as well as is part of the calculation used for threat abilities as both classes.

Also I think you mentioned it (or maybe it was something else but could have sworn it was yours), but VIT does not affect defense. VIT affect health and only health. Defense is only modified by Protect and gear.


Are you saying that because GLD has more def and a shield that STR is more useful for tanking purposes? I did some minor testing during Phase 3. I could of sworn 1 VIT= 1 DEF just like 1 STR= 1 ATK. You could be right though. I only was able to find my attribute tests for str/dex/vit etc between races, not the ATK/DEF totals.

Quote:

It's taken down now due to a request from S-E, but there were traits not yet translated on xivdb.com. I know somewhere I saw something about an INT/MND swap and it wasn't from cleric stance.


I've found many abilities for those classes on various sites, but nothing in regards to SMN or SCH traits beyond Arcanist of course. Cleric stance doesn't look like ARC and the 2 jobs can use it so I hope you're right.

Edited, Aug 3rd 2013 12:01pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#38 Aug 03 2013 at 11:08 AM Rating: Decent
*
232 posts
Viertel wrote:
Gladiator should be dumping all of his points into STR, not VIT, due to being the mitigation tank. Marauder's better served splitting them with a 2/1 ratio (1 VIT for every 2 STR) due to being the soaker tank. There's also the fact that STR does affect your auto-attack damage and abilities as well as is part of the calculation used for threat abilities as both classes.

Also I think you mentioned it (or maybe it was something else but could have sworn it was yours), but VIT does not affect defense. VIT affect health and only health. Defense is only modified by Protect and gear.

I would still put all my points into VIT on both GLA and MRD. In the case of GLA and MRD, 450 HP adds an extra 9 HP per tic to your natural regen. If you switch to WAR, 563 HP results in 11 HP per tic.

For instance, if a MRD follows your build and sacrifices 20 points of VIT for STR, they lose 300 HP and 6 HP regen. A WAR loses an additional 75 HP and 2 HP regen. Even though STR increases your damage, both PLD and WAR rely on abilities that nerf said damage.

As far as damage mitigation goes, I would check out this thread of the beta forums.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#39 Aug 03 2013 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,735 posts
Quote:
Even though STR increases your damage, both PLD and WAR rely on abilities that nerf said damage.


Remember STR also affects the potency of parry and shield block. Mitigating incoming damage is a good thing, and smaller HP losses are easier for a healer to keep up with than large ones.

Quote:
I could of sworn 1 VIT= 1 DEF just like 1 STR= 1 ATK. You could be right though. I only was able to find my attribute tests for str/dex/vit etc between races, not the ATK/DEF totals.


VIT only adds HP as far as I can tell. And while HP is definitely a thing you want, STR is not meaningless for tanks.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#40 Aug 03 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:

I would still put all my points into VIT on both GLA and MRD. In the case of GLA and MRD, 450 HP adds an extra 9 HP per tic to your natural regen. If you switch to WAR, 563 HP results in 11 HP per tic.

For instance, if a MRD follows your build and sacrifices 20 points of VIT for STR, they lose 300 HP and 6 HP regen. A WAR loses an additional 75 HP and 2 HP regen. Even though STR increases your damage, both PLD and WAR rely on abilities that nerf said damage.

As far as damage mitigation goes, I would check out this thread of the beta forums.


I checked out the link and I definitely see your point. However, I have to ask where does these calculations come from exactly? I need to trust the source basically. Can you also explain how you get 450HP? How much is each VIT worth? 15HP per point?
#41 Aug 03 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Are you saying that because GLD has more def and a shield that STR is more useful for tanking purposes? I did some minor testing during Phase 3. I could of sworn 1 VIT= 1 DEF just like 1 STR= 1 ATK. You could be right though. I only was able to find my attribute tests for str/dex/vit etc between races, not the ATK/DEF totals.


Nope VIT is purely for health (like PIE is purely for mana). It's actually explained in the beta manual that it doesn't increase defense.

There's been a lot of tests based on what formulas people have been able to figure out (like how Shield Lob/Savage combos are 3.0 modifiers on enmity and Rage of Halore is 5.0 modifier, and that Shield Oath is a passive 2.0 modifier that's applies at the end of the threat calculation. It's even been mathed out based on attack returns, threat returns, and VIT gains through gear (and how much it's worth at level 50 on P3 characters) that it's still flat out better to dump every single point into STR for Gladiator/Paladin.

The percentage of mitigation you gain via 30 points of STR ends up outweighing the 30 points of VIT you gain in health in terms of effectiveness -- and this is even before the added attack power and threat capabilities. Plus, Sword Oath (for when you don't NEED the ridiculous threat from Shield Oath) has been increased from 25 AA bonus to 50 AA bonus.

The post linked below (from FrozenSherbert) shows only the percentage gained per point of STR, but it doesn't show how that % change reflects on your total health (effect health). Health/HP/VIT is only as useful as it is to prevent you from being 3-shot from normal swings/abilities and one-shot from really hard hitting ones (Hellfire, for instance). Beyond those two points health does nothing for you as a serious tank and mitigation is where it matters.

More health is an e-peen and psychological benefit only. It doesn't help you past the point of surviving. STR boosts your mitigation, (that 1% has more effects on your survival than most people realize when RNG is in effect) and helps (even if a tiny bit) push your personal damage higher to get a fight over with sooner. If you are surviving in between a casted healing spell consistenting and not dying immediately after a big hit those points in VIT are utterly wasted and sitting there doing absolutely nothing for you.

You even see this in gear swap happy FFXI. What was more important for a tank? To put on all that +HP gear or to put on gear that mitigated damage as much as possible? Effective. Health.

The regen gained through VIT is a moot point and not even worth seriously considering: you're in a group and you're going to get healed. The chances of that extra 2-3 a tick saving your life is so astronomically low that it's embarrassing to even list that as a reason to dump points into VIT.

Quote:
It's taken down now due to a request from S-E, but there were traits not yet translated on xivdb.com. I know somewhere I saw something about an INT/MND swap and it wasn't from cleric stance.


ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I've found many abilities for those classes on various sites, but nothing in regards to SMN or SCH traits beyond Arcanist of course. Cleric stance doesn't look like ARC and the 2 jobs can use it so I hope you're right.


BG still had the static text listed from earlier and it showed that *SCHOLAR* (and not Arcanist OR Summoner) were granted access to Cleric Stance (and that THM and BLM lost access to it), and I definitely remember seeing that on the changes before reversal on xivdb.com since it was one of the very few exceptions where a job was mentioned on a cross class ability and not the base class itself.

Therefore, based on that, I'd dump all the points into MND and then switch to Cleric Stance when needing to nuke. MP's easier to get and deal with versus raw stats plus the return of healing potency per point of MND is fairly noticeable.
#42 Aug 03 2013 at 5:50 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
Even though STR increases your damage, both PLD and WAR rely on abilities that nerf said damage.


Remember STR also affects the potency of parry and shield block. Mitigating incoming damage is a good thing, and smaller HP losses are easier for a healer to keep up with than large ones.

Check the link I included at the bottom of the post. It takes something like +50 STR to increase damage mitigation on parry and shield block by 1%.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:

I would still put all my points into VIT on both GLA and MRD. In the case of GLA and MRD, 450 HP adds an extra 9 HP per tic to your natural regen. If you switch to WAR, 563 HP results in 11 HP per tic.

For instance, if a MRD follows your build and sacrifices 20 points of VIT for STR, they lose 300 HP and 6 HP regen. A WAR loses an additional 75 HP and 2 HP regen. Even though STR increases your damage, both PLD and WAR rely on abilities that nerf said damage.


As far as damage mitigation goes, I would check out this thread of the beta forums.

I checked out the link and I definitely see your point. However, I have to ask where does these calculations come from exactly? I need to trust the source basically. Can you also explain how you get 450HP? How much is each VIT worth? 15HP per point?

I'm just going by the numbers used on the beta forums. Every thread I could find is using +15 HP per point at level 50 with 2% of the total HP being converted to regen.

When it comes to VIT, the big thing for me is the HP regen. If that didn't increase on top of the extra HP, I would say go full STR.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#43 Aug 03 2013 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:
I'm just going by the numbers used on the beta forums. Every thread I could find is using +15 HP per point at level 50 with 2% of the total HP being converted to regen.

When it comes to VIT, the big thing for me is the HP regen. If that didn't increase on top of the extra HP, I would say go full STR.


Eh...

I can kinda see why it might be nice but it's still not a good enough reason for me. If every 2 (or 3, 4, 5) points actually still increased defense then I'd vote it a winner all around as unlike FFXI you can almost *instantly* see defense changes in this game (which means they got a good working formula, yay!)
#44 Aug 03 2013 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
232 posts
Viertel wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Are you saying that because GLD has more def and a shield that STR is more useful for tanking purposes? I did some minor testing during Phase 3. I could of sworn 1 VIT= 1 DEF just like 1 STR= 1 ATK. You could be right though. I only was able to find my attribute tests for str/dex/vit etc between races, not the ATK/DEF totals.


Nope VIT is purely for health (like PIE is purely for mana). It's actually explained in the beta manual that it doesn't increase defense.

There's been a lot of tests based on what formulas people have been able to figure out (like how Shield Lob/Savage combos are 3.0 modifiers on enmity and Rage of Halore is 5.0 modifier, and that Shield Oath is a passive 2.0 modifier that's applies at the end of the threat calculation. It's even been mathed out based on attack returns, threat returns, and VIT gains through gear (and how much it's worth at level 50 on P3 characters) that it's still flat out better to dump every single point into STR for Gladiator/Paladin.

The percentage of mitigation you gain via 30 points of STR ends up outweighing the 30 points of VIT you gain in health in terms of effectiveness -- and this is even before the added attack power and threat capabilities. Plus, Sword Oath (for when you don't NEED the ridiculous threat from Shield Oath) has been increased from 25 AA bonus to 50 AA bonus.

The post linked below (from FrozenSherbert) shows only the percentage gained per point of STR, but it doesn't show how that % change reflects on your total health (effect health). Health/HP/VIT is only as useful as it is to prevent you from being 3-shot from normal swings/abilities and one-shot from really hard hitting ones (Hellfire, for instance). Beyond those two points health does nothing for you as a serious tank and mitigation is where it matters.

More health is an e-peen and psychological benefit only. It doesn't help you past the point of surviving. STR boosts your mitigation, (that 1% has more effects on your survival than most people realize when RNG is in effect) and helps (even if a tiny bit) push your personal damage higher to get a fight over with sooner. If you are surviving in between a casted healing spell consistenting and not dying immediately after a big hit those points in VIT are utterly wasted and sitting there doing absolutely nothing for you.

You even see this in gear swap happy FFXI. What was more important for a tank? To put on all that +HP gear or to put on gear that mitigated damage as much as possible? Effective. Health.

The regen gained through VIT is a moot point and not even worth seriously considering: you're in a group and you're going to get healed. The chances of that extra 2-3 a tick saving your life is so astronomically low that it's embarrassing to even list that as a reason to dump points into VIT.

Quote:
It's taken down now due to a request from S-E, but there were traits not yet translated on xivdb.com. I know somewhere I saw something about an INT/MND swap and it wasn't from cleric stance.


ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I've found many abilities for those classes on various sites, but nothing in regards to SMN or SCH traits beyond Arcanist of course. Cleric stance doesn't look like ARC and the 2 jobs can use it so I hope you're right.


BG still had the static text listed from earlier and it showed that *SCHOLAR* (and not Arcanist OR Summoner) were granted access to Cleric Stance (and that THM and BLM lost access to it), and I definitely remember seeing that on the changes before reversal on xivdb.com since it was one of the very few exceptions where a job was mentioned on a cross class ability and not the base class itself.

Therefore, based on that, I'd dump all the points into MND and then switch to Cleric Stance when needing to nuke. MP's easier to get and deal with versus raw stats plus the return of healing potency per point of MND is fairly noticeable.

I'd much rather have a guaranteed 9 or 11 HP regen than what could turn out to be 0% damage mitigation. If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.

Let's say one character has a regen of 9 HP per tic higher than someone else. Every 3 seconds, that person gains a measly 9 HP extra. Over 30 seconds, that becomes 90 HP. After 300 seconds, all of a sudden there's a 900 HP difference. So not only do you start out with an extra 450 HP, but over a five minute time period, you pick up an additional 900 HP. For trash mobs, that means absolutely nothing. For things that actually matter, that could potentially make quite a bit of difference.

In the end, it all comes down to what type of healer you have. If your healer is capable of keeping you at 100% HP regardless of curing efficiency, increasing VIT won't help you a single bit. If your healer is more concerned about managing MP, regen will be valuable. In all likelihood, the stats won't make any difference. If MP management is unnecessary, VIT becomes a solo stat. If PLD or WAR have their defense/HP buff up, +30 STR is going to have little to no effect on overall damage.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#45 Aug 03 2013 at 7:00 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,735 posts
Quote:
If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.


Are we completely sure that only whole percentage points count? I realize that's a tough one to test without a lot of data, but if we aren't sure, then it's an assumption we shouldn't make.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#46 Aug 03 2013 at 7:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:

I'd much rather have a guaranteed 9 or 11 HP regen than what could turn out to be 0% damage mitigation. If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.

Let's say one character has a regen of 9 HP per tic higher than someone else. Every 3 seconds, that person gains a measly 9 HP extra. Over 30 seconds, that becomes 90 HP. After 300 seconds, all of a sudden there's a 900 HP difference. So not only do you start out with an extra 450 HP, but over a five minute time period, you pick up an additional 900 HP. For trash mobs, that means absolutely nothing. For things that actually matter, that could potentially make quite a bit of difference.

In the end, it all comes down to what type of healer you have. If your healer is capable of keeping you at 100% HP regardless of curing efficiency, increasing VIT won't help you a single bit. If your healer is more concerned about managing MP, regen will be valuable. In all likelihood, the stats won't make any difference. If MP management is unnecessary, VIT becomes a solo stat. If PLD or WAR have their defense/HP buff up, +30 STR is going to have little to no effect on overall damage.


So basically the argument you're against is that all the str boosting is not going to improve the parry/block rating high enough to warrant the points spent. The damage done is also in question because of the abilities that reduce attack. VIT can be useless as well if you have a good enough healer negating the regen. I suppose if I'm a tank, I'd rather go with VIT if only avoiding a potential one shot.
#47 Aug 03 2013 at 7:31 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.

Are we completely sure that only whole percentage points count? I realize that's a tough one to test without a lot of data, but if we aren't sure, then it's an assumption we shouldn't make.

I don't think we can be sure about anything. We're all working on what amounts to be assumptions. In about three months, pretty much nothing said in this discussion is going to mean much. In my case, I'm mostly debating out of boredom.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:

I'd much rather have a guaranteed 9 or 11 HP regen than what could turn out to be 0% damage mitigation. If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.

Let's say one character has a regen of 9 HP per tic higher than someone else. Every 3 seconds, that person gains a measly 9 HP extra. Over 30 seconds, that becomes 90 HP. After 300 seconds, all of a sudden there's a 900 HP difference. So not only do you start out with an extra 450 HP, but over a five minute time period, you pick up an additional 900 HP. For trash mobs, that means absolutely nothing. For things that actually matter, that could potentially make quite a bit of difference.

In the end, it all comes down to what type of healer you have. If your healer is capable of keeping you at 100% HP regardless of curing efficiency, increasing VIT won't help you a single bit. If your healer is more concerned about managing MP, regen will be valuable. In all likelihood, the stats won't make any difference. If MP management is unnecessary, VIT becomes a solo stat. If PLD or WAR have their defense/HP buff up, +30 STR is going to have little to no effect on overall damage.


So basically the argument you're against is that all the str boosting is not going to improve the parry/block rating high enough to warrant the points spent. The damage done is also in question because of the abilities that reduce attack. VIT can be useless as well if you have a good enough healer negating the regen. I suppose if I'm a tank, I'd rather go with VIT if only avoiding a potential one shot.

Pretty much. Hopefully, a reset will be available so you can change builds depending on the situation. I just find VIT to be a bit more convenient. You really can't go wrong either way.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#48 Aug 03 2013 at 9:43 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
If that 30 STR fails to get you to the next tier, it's completely worthless in that respect.


Are we completely sure that only whole percentage points count? I realize that's a tough one to test without a lot of data, but if we aren't sure, then it's an assumption we shouldn't make.


I haven't found much actual hard compiled stat data at all. I guess it would have been a waste to do it during beta while things are still in flux.

I'm sure people will be testing and posting and linking and sharing all their Stat findings here soon.

I've got to admit, its so refreshing to see people passing time up to the release date talking about how they think the stats work instead of "Don't give me it's just a beta, this is what release will be... blah, blah," like last time!


#49 Aug 03 2013 at 10:47 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,735 posts
Quote:
I've got to admit, its so refreshing to see people passing time up to the release date talking about how they think the stats work instead of "Don't give me it's just a beta, this is what release will be... blah, blah," like last time!


I suppose the difference here is that, unlike 1.0, this one doesn't suck.

Quote:
Pretty much. Hopefully, a reset will be available so you can change builds depending on the situation. I just find VIT to be a bit more convenient. You really can't go wrong either way.


If they really want to continue with this stat allocation system, they have to add a way to reset them. It's just a beginner's trap otherwise, and with no way to fix it other than re-rolling... it's a harsh trap indeed.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 39 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (39)