Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

FishingFollow

#1 Aug 08 2013 at 9:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
Seems some people on the beta forums are upset about the new state of Fishing... The rants start here.

What do you guys think about the changes? Picking bait/lure depending on the water, and just casting the rod and waiting for a fish to bite.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#2 Aug 08 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Sounds like fishing to me Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Aug 08 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
Yep. I think the 1.x Fishers are upset because they actually enjoyed the mini-game involved. The people who are angry think that Fishing needs to be more about relaxing and gaining achievements. Yoshi's claims about this class not affecting the economy are curious as well. Won't it affect Culinarian, which of course affects the economy? Or will fish just not be available for sale on the Market Wards? Strange.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#4 Aug 08 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Yep. I think the 1.x Fishers are upset because they actually enjoyed the mini-game involved. The people who are angry think that Fishing needs to be more about relaxing and gaining achievements. Yoshi's claims about this class not affecting the economy are curious as well. Won't it affect Culinarian, which of course affects the economy? Or will fish just not be available for sale on the Market Wards? Strange.

It willl affect the economy, but no more than mining or harvesting.
____________________________
BANNED
#5 Aug 08 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
It's perfectly fine with me. Trying to make myself go fishing in 1.0 was like pulling healthy teeth out with a plastic wrench made by playskool. It was the lowest of all of my classes. Now that it wont have any effect whatsoever, I'm perfectly fine with completely ignoring it. It simply was not my cup of tea.
____________________________
#6 Aug 08 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
210 posts
I'm very curious about the statement that fishing will not affect the economy. I don't see how that statement can be entirely accurate without precluding the use of caught fish in crafting; otherwise, they would be ingredients in sellable products. I assumed that I would need some fishing levels to support my alchemy so I am very eager to see how this plays out.
#7 Aug 08 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
Culinarians need fish for their recipes and I assume that even if fish have a market value they can be sold through retainers for that same price or slightly lower. Fishing costs bait, so unless bait is outrageously expensive, the returns on the fish is pretty much all profit.

I like the cast, wait, and pull in approach. I thought that they got the cast, bite, and reel system in FFXI down just perfect.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#8 Aug 08 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
schneiderw wrote:
I'm very curious about the statement that fishing will not affect the economy. I don't see how that statement can be entirely accurate without precluding the use of caught fish in crafting; otherwise, they would be ingredients in sellable products. I assumed that I would need some fishing levels to support my alchemy so I am very eager to see how this plays out.

You need it for culinarian, I couldnt level it much due to the fact of lack of fish
____________________________
BANNED
#9 Aug 08 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
655 posts
the fish needed for cooking are sold on venders. If any fish caught would be used for cooking it wouldent make sense to what yoshi was aying about not having any market value. So fish from fishing are not for cooking.
#10 Aug 08 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
silverhope wrote:
the fish needed for cooking are sold on venders. If any fish caught would be used for cooking it wouldent make sense to what yoshi was aying about not having any market value. So fish from fishing are not for cooking.

No they werent actually. In phase 2-3 there was very low level fish but not what you would need for recipes lvl 10 or higher
____________________________
BANNED
#11 Aug 08 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
silverhope wrote:
the fish needed for cooking are sold on venders. If any fish caught would be used for cooking it wouldent make sense to what yoshi was aying about not having any market value. So fish from fishing are not for cooking.

No they werent actually. In phase 2-3 there was very low level fish but not what you would need for recipes lvl 10 or higher


I found most of them.. maybe they will be in venders we cant reach yet? but im 100% sure the fish we catch wont be used for cooking
#12 Aug 08 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
silverhope wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:
silverhope wrote:
the fish needed for cooking are sold on venders. If any fish caught would be used for cooking it wouldent make sense to what yoshi was aying about not having any market value. So fish from fishing are not for cooking.

No they werent actually. In phase 2-3 there was very low level fish but not what you would need for recipes lvl 10 or higher


I found most of them.. maybe they will be in venders we cant reach yet? but im 100% sure the fish we catch wont be used for cooking

Makes no sense to have fishing be so worthless. I think it will be used in cul and alc
____________________________
BANNED
#13 Aug 08 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
silverhope wrote:
im 100% sure the fish we catch wont be used for cooking


That's a bold statement. If the fish will not be used for cooking, then what will they be used for? And why make a game that needs fish for cooking, and you can't catch those kinds of fish, but somehow the NPC vendors can? That doesn't make any logical sense. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#14 Aug 08 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Ehllfire wrote:

Makes no sense to have fishing be so worthless. I think it will be used in cul and alc


thats the point yoshi has said that it is a job for relaxing and will not affect the market so RMT cant bot it to **** and back. It will track biggest catches and have hunt logs and at some point treasure maps. I agree it sucks.. i always loved fishing in games and im gonna be a cook so I wish you were right but its jsut not ment to be.
#15 Aug 08 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#16 Aug 08 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
yoshi P
Quote:
We’re going to make sure that the stuff you get from fishing is not stuff that is going to be lucrative for RMT. The system needs to be relaxing.

What we want is for fishing to be more about what you’ve done. So maybe achievements for catching certain sizes of fish? Or having a log that keeps track of your own collection of what you’ve caught before, or how big a fish you’ve caught before, or whether you have fished in all fishing spots? Having things that are connected to you.

This is not to say we’re not thinking of other things. For example, maybe you fish up a treasure map, and that map leads to a new quest- we are planning things like that.


so maybe one day they will switch it.. i hope
#17 Aug 08 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
silverhope wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:

Makes no sense to have fishing be so worthless. I think it will be used in cul and alc


thats the point yoshi has said that it is a job for relaxing and will not affect the market so RMT cant bot it to **** and back. It will track biggest catches and have hunt logs and at some point treasure maps. I agree it sucks.. i always loved fishing in games and im gonna be a cook so I wish you were right but its jsut not ment to be.


At least hunt logs will get you experience. **** RMTs.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#18 Aug 08 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#19 Aug 08 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
Im excited to fish, ill need those corals for jewerly!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#20 Aug 08 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree


That actually sounds amazing to me, I hate Wal-Mart people. lol. You can't possibly tell that there is no water anywhere close to where you live though. That seems statistically impossible?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#21 Aug 08 2013 at 10:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree


That actually sounds amazing to me, I hate Wal-Mart people. lol. You can't possibly tell that there is no water anywhere close to where you live though. That seems statistically impossible?


East Wyoming. All the ponds at the parks do not allow fishing.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:22am by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#22 Aug 08 2013 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree


That actually sounds amazing to me, I hate Wal-Mart people. lol. You can't possibly tell that there is no water anywhere close to where you live though. That seems statistically impossible?


East Wyoming. All the ponds at the parks do not allow fishing.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:22am by Valkayree


Where is the nearest lake in Wyoming? (never been)

Edit: I'll just go ahead and say I'm not buying that you have no access to fishing after seeing this. http://www.wyomingtourism.org/thingstodo/overview/Fishing/1517


Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:27pm by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#23 Aug 08 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
45 posts
schneiderw wrote:
I'm very curious about the statement that fishing will not affect the economy. I don't see how that statement can be entirely accurate without precluding the use of caught fish in crafting; otherwise, they would be ingredients in sellable products. I assumed that I would need some fishing levels to support my alchemy so I am very eager to see how this plays out.


The big driver for fish in 1.0 was fish->alchemy->crystals. That seems to have been removed.

In the leaked/redacted recipe data, I didn't see much use for fish in Alchemy. There's shark and fish oil which crafters will need, but alchemy seems to rely mostly on botany and monster drops.

All the old fish->food recipes are still there (and I didn't see much change with the leak), and with the 3% exp bonus, I expect food will be in higher demand earlier in the game, instead of just saving the food for end content.

I am curious if fishing will reward crystals. Crystal gathering will be as important as material gathering now.
____________________________
<img src="http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/7914/xivpads.png">
#24 Aug 08 2013 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree


That actually sounds amazing to me, I hate Wal-Mart people. lol. You can't possibly tell that there is no water anywhere close to where you live though. That seems statistically impossible?


East Wyoming. All the ponds at the parks do not allow fishing.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:22am by Valkayree


Where is the nearest lake in Wyoming? (never been)

Edit: I'll just go ahead and say I'm not buying that you have no access to fishing after seeing this. http://www.wyomingtourism.org/thingstodo/overview/Fishing/1517


Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:27pm by supermegazeke



Ok that is Western Wyoming. Jackson Hole is like an 8 hour drive from here. Are you crazy? I didn't say that all of Wyoming is dry, but I live near the Nebraska border. It is all rolling plains. No trees, no water. And plus, even if I did want to drive two hours to the nearest possible tiny reservior, I really only prefer ocean fishing (for the variety).


Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:21pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#25 Aug 08 2013 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
silverhope wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:

Makes no sense to have fishing be so worthless. I think it will be used in cul and alc


thats the point yoshi has said that it is a job for relaxing and will not affect the market so RMT cant bot it to **** and back. It will track biggest catches and have hunt logs and at some point treasure maps. I agree it sucks.. i always loved fishing in games and im gonna be a cook so I wish you were right but its jsut not ment to be.


You very well could be right about this, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee in the slightest. I think it's quite possible that all the fish are just bound to you and certain ones can be used in crafting, while others can be consumed for food benefits. It would seem incredibly odd to have cooking and alchemy require fish that a fisherman can't catch but NPCs somehow do. Like I said, maybe you're right, I just don't think it's a guarantee like you seem to. I mean, talk about an immersion killer...
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#26 Aug 08 2013 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
BartelX wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:

Makes no sense to have fishing be so worthless. I think it will be used in cul and alc


thats the point yoshi has said that it is a job for relaxing and will not affect the market so RMT cant bot it to **** and back. It will track biggest catches and have hunt logs and at some point treasure maps. I agree it sucks.. i always loved fishing in games and im gonna be a cook so I wish you were right but its jsut not ment to be.


You very well could be right about this, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee in the slightest. I think it's quite possible that all the fish are just bound to you and certain ones can be used in crafting, while others can be consumed for food benefits. It would seem incredibly odd to have cooking and alchemy require fish that a fisherman can't catch but NPCs somehow do. Like I said, maybe you're right, I just don't think it's a guarantee like you seem to. I mean, talk about an immersion killer...


The NPCs who never leave their shops have magic fishing nets that poof to all of the special locations that players can't reach where they magically dip into the water and sing a special tune that craft fish adore. Then they poof back to the shop into the NPCs awaiting fish tanks. It could happen. It is Final Fantasy and we do have cloud fishing Smiley: tongue

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:21pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#27 Aug 08 2013 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
I didn't play 1.0, but the fishing looked awful. It looks fine now, I don't what people expect. Go fishing in real life if it bothers you that much. I think people are forgetting this is a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME WORLD. Smiley: lol


Then pick up your plastic sword and go hit people in Walmart, or even better, sit in a tree at the end of a street and pretend to cast fireballs. Smiley: nod Some of us live in the continental US around no bodies of water and enjoy the economy aspect of fishing in an MMO.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:03am by Valkayree


That actually sounds amazing to me, I hate Wal-Mart people. lol. You can't possibly tell that there is no water anywhere close to where you live though. That seems statistically impossible?


East Wyoming. All the ponds at the parks do not allow fishing.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:22am by Valkayree


Where is the nearest lake in Wyoming? (never been)

Edit: I'll just go ahead and say I'm not buying that you have no access to fishing after seeing this. http://www.wyomingtourism.org/thingstodo/overview/Fishing/1517


Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:27pm by supermegazeke



Ok that is Western Wyoming. Jackson Hole is like an 8 hour drive from here. Are you crazy? I didn't say that all of Wyoming is dry, but I live near the Nebraska border. It is all rolling plains. No trees, no water. And plus, even if I did want to drive two hours to the nearest possible tiny reservior, I really only prefer ocean fishing (for the variety).


Edited, Aug 8th 2013 12:21pm by Valkayree


Sounds terrible, why don't you move away? Smiley: grin

Back on topic I think the fishing will be fine. It's probably similar to the other gathering classes, which don't seem to be all that complicated as well. The only problem I would have is that if the fish you are catching are worthless. We will soon see, but I would really like to sell some fish on the AH.
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#28 Aug 08 2013 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
supermegazeke wrote:


Sounds terrible, why don't you move away? Smiley: grin

Back on topic I think the fishing will be fine. It's probably similar to the other gathering classes, which don't seem to be all that complicated as well. The only problem I would have is that if the fish you are catching are worthless. We will soon see, but I would really like to sell some fish on the AH.


Great job, good money, good schools for the kid, I like snow > sweat, dry climate = no allergies, less people around to bother me. I can deal with a lack of fishing. I will probably fish in ARR anyway, despite the lack of returns.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#29 Aug 08 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
210 posts
I doubt that fishing will yield crystals directly (no telling what maps will yield) because botany and mining have boosts to increase crystal yield while gathering, and between those two disciplines, all crystal types are covered. I think that if fishing were to directly yield crystals, the gathering bonuses would be split between all 3 gathering professions instead of just 2.
#30 Aug 12 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
45 posts
Saw this on devtracker:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62415-Yoshi-p-says-Button-pressing-is-stressful.-....?p=1014104#post1014104

Quote:
Hey all,

As Yoshida brought up in previous Letter from the Producer LIVE, fishing is designed to be a casual concept that can be enjoyed between battle content or while waiting for Duty Finder matching or for your friends to log in.

While fishing, your catches will go into your inventory, and you are able to both sell it back to the market, use it as an ingredient in your food recipes, or use it immediately for bait to lure in different fish. You can also fish up coral to be used in various accessories and even more surprising items.
____________________________
<img src="http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/7914/xivpads.png">
#31 Aug 12 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
^ Definitely not seeing how Fishing "won't affect the economy."
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#32 Aug 12 2013 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
753 posts
I wonder if something was lost in translation and the phrase "will not affect the economy" more accurately meant, "you can't NPC fish for gils like you could in XI."
#33 Aug 12 2013 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
Atkascha wrote:
Yep. I think the 1.x Fishers are upset because they actually enjoyed the mini-game involved. The people who are angry think that Fishing needs to be more about relaxing and gaining achievements. Yoshi's claims about this class not affecting the economy are curious as well. Won't it affect Culinarian, which of course affects the economy? Or will fish just not be available for sale on the Market Wards? Strange.


My thought is that it will be easy to level, so you will be able to fish for yourself. Instead of FFXI where it would take many hours / days / weeks (depending on how long you play) to level fishing to 100. Therefore, fishing was highly profitable because people did not want to spend so much time on it.
#34 Aug 12 2013 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
24 posts
AragalAyreth wrote:
Saw this on devtracker:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62415-Yoshi-p-says-Button-pressing-is-stressful.-....?p=1014104#post1014104

Quote:
Hey all,

As Yoshida brought up in previous Letter from the Producer LIVE, fishing is designed to be a casual concept that can be enjoyed between battle content or while waiting for Duty Finder matching or for your friends to log in.

While fishing, your catches will go into your inventory, and you are able to both sell it back to the market, use it as an ingredient in your food recipes, or use it immediately for bait to lure in different fish. You can also fish up coral to be used in various accessories and even more surprising items.



Ok this is much more promising. I enjoy fishing in games but didn't want it to be completely worthless. I like having something that can be a little 'boring' sometimes, but is still useful.
#35 Aug 12 2013 at 6:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Aug 12 2013 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
*
153 posts
Beta Forums Member wrote:
I don't understand how he's missed this topic (or he just doesn't care), but we've made it very clear that we DON'T want fishing to be something done for us. We DON'T want it to be mindless. We don't fish to wait for friends or for achievements. Most of us fish for money, or because we found the old mechanic genuinely fun.

What the **** is he thinking turning it in to this? This new mechanic actually has less interaction than the fishing game in animal crossing, and that only takes two button presses. Two!

He's succeeded in destroying an entire class, one a lot of people put a lot of work into, for what? So we can chat? So we can get dem cheevos? Who gives a **** about those things. I want to be able to fish. I want actual interaction. A single key press for the entire interactive part of fishing is mind boggling in how backwards it is. Yoshi, I don't know how you don't understand this, but this is a role playing game. Let me repeat that.

THIS IS A ROLE-PLAYING GAME.

You obviously only care about combat. We can all tell. But in an RPG, we get to choose what role we want to play. If I wanted to play a pure combat game I'd play Mortal Kombat. In MMOs, I like to fish. Stop forcing us to play the role you think we should play and give us gatherers (including the botanists and miners) actual content and interactive game mechanics. Go back to 1.0 for all I care. The 1.0 mechanic was world's better than what you're giving us now, and it wasn't even that good.

This is all so beyond me now I don't even understand it. I can't wrap my head around what Yoshi is thinking. "Conversation with nature"? If I wanted a conversation with nature I'd go outside. Instead I'm playing a video game, and because it's a videogame I expect some interaction. Just a little bit. Two button/key presses-worth of interaction is required. And yet somehow you seem to be giving us less than that. I'm surprised it wasn't just automated to the point where we do nothing.

I'm furious that this is what it's come to, and that we had to wait to phase 4 (which will be all of three days) to get to it, and that you were so clammed up about the whole thing, the entire time knowing that we knew exactly what you were going to do, and knowing that we didn't even like the idea of it. And yet knowing all that, you went ahead with it anyway. If this is what we can expect from the development team for everything not concerning combat, then I feel sorry for all the people like me who were hoping to continue our adventures in a world where combat was not strictly required. A living, breathing world where we could play the way we wanted to play.


The above was posted from a member on the beta forums. This pretty much sums up my view as well.

While I love the direction Yoshi is taking the combat related elements of the game, I think this action (and others related to the economy) totally lets the bots determine what can and what cannot be done in a supposed immersive MMO. It literally allows the minority to ruin a great thing for the majority. I personally loved fishing and it's pretty darn irritating that one of my favorite classes is being destroyed. To further aggravate the situation, people on here are saying they are glad this happened because "I didn't like fishing anyway!" That is an absolutely childish stance on any issue. If you don't like something fine, but don't wish ill on others especially when it doesn't affect you. I don't like the Bard class, but I would never want it to be taken away because I know many people do rather enjoy it...

I just feel like the game is totally combat centric, and some of the other elements which make MMOs kick-*** are being slowly dwindled to mere remnants of what they used to be, for example the economy and various crafting jobs...

I suppose at the end of the day this is all the prerogative of the producer... and the game will rise or fall based on the choices he makes. I still feel like this game will be immensely popular, however not without seriously isolating a select niche of players (which is totally avoidable in this case.) It may seem like a small thing to most of you, but to those of you who love fishing, I believe you understand what I mean.
#37 Aug 13 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,142 posts
ClydesShadow wrote:

While I love the direction Yoshi is taking the combat related elements of the game, I think this action (and others related to the economy) totally lets the bots determine what can and what cannot be done in a supposed immersive MMO. It literally allows the minority to ruin a great thing for the majority. I personally loved fishing and it's pretty darn irritating that one of my favorite classes is being destroyed. To further aggravate the situation, people on here are saying they are glad this happened because "I didn't like fishing anyway!" That is an absolutely childish stance on any issue. If you don't like something fine, but don't wish ill on others especially when it doesn't affect you. I don't like the Bard class, but I would never want it to be taken away because I know many people do rather enjoy it...


I like the game Dark Cloud 2. It was one of my favorites, due the fact that I could take a break from combat and fish. I liked the fishing in FFXI a lot. The change of pace was sometimes what I needed. I also like the blue mage job, a lot. Probably more than 95% of you folks on this forum. I, sadly, have no blue mage in FFXIV. I will still play FFXIV. I can hope and wish that things will go my way eventually, but I will just roll with the punches until then. I am actually looking quite forward now to being a miner / armorer, but I still will fish, and with those fish I will cook. I want to know what coral does. I'm thinking more and more now that the design is to make it where you are incentivized to actually use the fish as opposed to selling them. I guess that is ok.

Also, it seemed like the convoluted and seemingly randomized fishing system from 1.0 was definitely enough to keep RMTs from making an easy profit. I'm not sure why they would beat a dead horse Smiley: deadhorse

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 10:21am by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#38 Aug 13 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
I am missing some video or something where the fishing system is explained fully?

Seems a bit premature to be ranting.

I think what is really going on is the people who love to rant just have very few targets available.
#39 Aug 13 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Wint wrote:
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.



This, this I would like to have actually!! I am usually bored to fish for cooking at least I was in WoW anyway but it was awesome to try and catch a rare fish for an achievement!!

And people should drop the whole real life/MMO fishing thing cause it is really meaningless, I mean I live in an area that almost any direction you choose you will end up at the sea Smiley: lol
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#40 Aug 13 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
139 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Wint wrote:
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.



This, this I would like to have actually!! I am usually bored to fish for cooking at least I was in WoW anyway but it was awesome to try and catch a rare fish for an achievement!!

And people should drop the whole real life/MMO fishing thing cause it is really meaningless, I mean I live in an area that almost any direction you choose you will end up at the sea Smiley: lol


Aye I live in Michigan. There has to be a dozen lakes within 20 minutes of my house. Unfortunately I can't just up and go if I have a spare hour. You have to get all you gear drive there, setup before you even start. Its even a much longer process if I take the boat instead of fishing off a dock. Not to mention the time to clean the fish afterword. I only go if I have a good 6+ hours to dedicate. Where it may be a lot of fun, its a **** of a lot easier to just log in and fish even if you only have 20 minutes to play.
#41 Aug 13 2013 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,173 posts
For immersion they can add a fish-cleaning minigame. Or a minigame where you untangle your fishing line. And a minigame where your real gets a huge snag and you have to spend an hour re-stringing it. And also they should make it so sometimes the fish just won't bite at all for hours on end. And also sometimes you should hook a log and lose your lure. And sometime the fish should swallow the whole lure and you need a special set of pliers to get the hook out without ruining the fish.

Oh wait, maybe it's better if the game is not TOO realistic. Unless they add a cooler of beer. That would be ok.
#42 Aug 13 2013 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
Maybe we should just should wait a few days and see for ourselves. I like the treasure map concept, looking forward to learning more.
____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#43 Aug 13 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Ulman wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Wint wrote:
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.



This, this I would like to have actually!! I am usually bored to fish for cooking at least I was in WoW anyway but it was awesome to try and catch a rare fish for an achievement!!

And people should drop the whole real life/MMO fishing thing cause it is really meaningless, I mean I live in an area that almost any direction you choose you will end up at the sea Smiley: lol


Aye I live in Michigan. There has to be a dozen lakes within 20 minutes of my house. Unfortunately I can't just up and go if I have a spare hour. You have to get all you gear drive there, setup before you even start. Its even a much longer process if I take the boat instead of fishing off a dock. Not to mention the time to clean the fish afterword. I only go if I have a good 6+ hours to dedicate. Where it may be a lot of fun, its a **** of a lot easier to just log in and fish even if you only have 20 minutes to play.


We usually fish at night either in a boat or at the beach. I go with a couple of friends around 22:00 + it's the best time to go fish in the sea. But yea you need to have time to do fishing properly else don't even bother.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#44 Aug 13 2013 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,622 posts
Wint wrote:
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.


I half hate myself for saying that, but I hope for something similar to Lu Shang. It was long and annoying, but man did it feel good to finally get that fishing rod. Anothing thing about fishing that I enjoyed was the social aspect. There was always someone in La Theine around that pond near Valkurm. You get to chat a little, save the occasional newbie from an elemental or goblin aggro. Good times.

____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#45 Aug 13 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
142 posts
Gnu wrote:
For immersion they can add a fish-cleaning minigame. Or a minigame where you untangle your fishing line. And a minigame where your real gets a huge snag and you have to spend an hour re-stringing it. And also they should make it so sometimes the fish just won't bite at all for hours on end. And also sometimes you should hook a log and lose your lure. And sometime the fish should swallow the whole lure and you need a special set of pliers to get the hook out without ruining the fish.

Oh wait, maybe it's better if the game is not TOO realistic. Unless they add a cooler of beer. That would be ok.


Couldn't help but laugh when i saw this. Grew up fishing in the bayous and rivers of AR. I've done all of these things. Has to be like 6 or 7 logs out there with **** good lures still hooked to them.../sigh.
#46 Aug 13 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
Wint wrote:
The money was always nice, but I enjoyed fishing for the achievements, like getting my Lu Shang's and Ebisu, winning the fishing competitions, etc. Not to mention exploring and seeing what I could catch in different places.


I half hate myself for saying that, but I hope for something similar to Lu Shang. It was long and annoying, but man did it feel good to finally get that fishing rod. Anothing thing about fishing that I enjoyed was the social aspect. There was always someone in La Theine around that pond near Valkurm. You get to chat a little, save the occasional newbie from an elemental or goblin aggro. Good times.



I agree, I know some would argue it's not a challenge so much as a test of insanity, but I still remember how it felt when I finally got it. True fishermen (not bots) have a certain camaraderie too that I thought was pretty awesome.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#47 Aug 13 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Gnu wrote:
For immersion they can add a fish-cleaning minigame. Or a minigame where you untangle your fishing line. And a minigame where your real gets a huge snag and you have to spend an hour re-stringing it. And also they should make it so sometimes the fish just won't bite at all for hours on end. And also sometimes you should hook a log and lose your lure. And sometime the fish should swallow the whole lure and you need a special set of pliers to get the hook out without ruining the fish.

Oh wait, maybe it's better if the game is not TOO realistic. Unless they add a cooler of beer. That would be ok.


Smiley: lol Let's not forget randomly casting your line into a tree... or your Dad sitting behind you. Those never happened, I swear.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#48 Aug 13 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,173 posts
You're right Wint. The true fishermen in FFXI knew each other just because you would end up in the same places.

Like 55-65~ we would fish on the ferry for the sharks (it was silver shark there i think?). The bots couldn't handle the ferry, so only real people on the ferry, not to mention the occasional Kraken!

Then there was the Oasis town which started off as a great place but soon became a silent bot infested mess. /sadface

Do you remember ice fishing in, uh, was that Xarcrabard, uh, Xar(tab)(enter)? Also something that had to be done with a mobile group. Those elementals would aggro and you would need someone to watch your back! We went in groups so that one guy was farming tiger tusks and would run interference on the elementals.

Is fishing in FFXIV going to be this memorable? Can't wait to find out.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 1:57pm by Gnu
#49 Aug 13 2013 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,173 posts
BartelX wrote:
Smiley: lol Let's not forget randomly casting your line into a tree... or your Dad sitting behind you. Those never happened, I swear.


That's the only way to catch the elusive tree-fish!
#50 Aug 13 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Gnu wrote:
You're right Wint. The true fishermen in FFXI knew each other just because you would end up in the same places.

Like 55-65~ we would fish on the ferry for the sharks (it was silver shark there i think?). The bots couldn't handle the ferry, so only real people on the ferry, not to mention the occasional Kraken!

Then there was the Oasis town which started off as a great place but soon became a silent bot infested mess. /sadface

Do you remember ice fishing in, uh, was that Xarcrabard, uh, Xar(tab)(enter)? Also something that had to be done with a mobile group. Those elementals would aggro and you would need someone to watch your back! We went in groups so that one guy was farming tiger tusks and would run interference on the elementals.

Is fishing in FFXIV going to be this memorable? Can't wait to find out.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 1:57pm by Gnu


Beaucedine? By the time my fishing was high enough for there the level cap was raised and no more aggro. Lots of bots too Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#51 Aug 13 2013 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
***
3,173 posts
Yes! Beau(tab)(enter). That's the one. :D

Sounds as if the lack of aggroing mobs leads to botting, hmmm. Maybe we are on to something there.

I enjoyed fishing in early FFXI which was just sit and wait, no minigame at all. The minigame actually seemed to add an element of losing fish because you sometimes did the wrong thing. I guess I really did enjoy the little timing ring in 1.0, although it seemed the progression through Fisherman levels was a bit slow for my 2010+ patience.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 2:07pm by Gnu
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 119 All times are in CST
Megstrom, Anonymous Guests (118)