Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

How can SE compensate?Follow

#77 Aug 25 2013 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
TheOneFin wrote:
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
TheOneFin wrote:
Pawkeshup you loser. You rated down my post to be a j/o.


D'awwww did that lil red arrow hurt your wittle feelings? Do you need a hug, buddy?


No - but I envy your cyber-prowess. Have you ever touched a woman? Of age? I know your type. Lifelong griefer compensating for your real-life failures. Go ahead, flex your toughness behind the keyboard.

Oh, wow, really?

We're on the "internet tough guy" thing? Ha! You're awesome. You're the one upset that an imaginary value in an imaginary karma system was decremented by a single number on a pointless internet forum. I mean, you were so upset, you've made two more posts about it? And now are stooping to insults? Woooow, you're classy! Stay classy buddy!

Edit:

Daaa crap, can someone green Cactuar? I clicked back on the forum and it was right on the red arrow ffs!

Edit the 2nd:

Danka, I hate when I do that, I'd have green'd that bish...

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 1:50pm by Pawkeshup
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#78 Aug 25 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
41 posts
DuskCactuar wrote:
Turgis wrote:
DuskCactuar wrote:
Any time anyone without a law degree mentions lawsuits, God laughs until he starts coughing.


Are we talking about a good law degree, a law degree-holder with actual experience, an ambulance-chaser, etc... The world needs to know!

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 1:34pm by Turgis


Any accredited law program will require you to at least stop being an idiot for a while and work pretty hard, at least as far as I know. When I was in school I had a bunch of friends in law school (at a large state university, so not harvard or anything but not podunk community college either). It was pretty rigorous, demanding course work. By the time you're done, you should at least have a basic understanding of how tort and liability work. Heck, I do, and I only took a few undergrad legal studies classes to help bone up on my copyright/information security law stuff since that was what all the cool geek kids were doing.


A lot of degrees have you working hard though. A creative writing class with an insane teacher can do that. That doesn't mean you're a guru of knowledge. But I will consent that law is pretty complex, as are economics, business, accounting, finance, history, math, geology, biology, chemistry, programming, etc... (if you get the picture). Generally (GENERALLY) anyone with a degree or high level of technical expertise will understand the complexities of issues, or at least respect them if they don't fully understand them.

That doesn't people won't get mad or have a limit to which they'll then get mad. =)
#79TheOneFin, Posted: Aug 25 2013 at 11:45 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You began the negativity with your a-hole "go-home" comment after the OP. It's all good bro - but why be a j/o just to be a j/o?
#80 Aug 25 2013 at 11:48 AM Rating: Default
8 posts
I wouldn't ask for "compensation" for the many, many hindrances to accessing our product, but we'd better sure as heck have access to at least one free server transfer after the launch time frame has ended.
#81 Aug 25 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
TheOneFin wrote:
You began the negativity with your a-hole "go-home" comment after the OP. It's all good bro - but why be a j/o just to be a j/o?

Yes, because you posted your melodramatic post about how, after a day and a half, you still couldn't play a vidja game!

And technically I said "Now go away", as in, "Leave the forums", as in "Currently the forums are filling with this ****, this particular **** is worse because it's way more melodramatic so now I will leave a comment replying to the overblown concerns, then tell the user that perhaps it's time to shut off the internet and go into real life for a bit to gain a better perspective."
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#82 Aug 25 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Default
30 posts
Just give EA players an in game item, such as 1k gil each. Will prolly shut up the whine for a week.
Complicated issues can be resolved by a silly gift.
Worthless, but enough to keep the joy, maintain peace, and mae the world a better place
#83 Aug 25 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Legacy Status for ALL PS3ers!!!!


Catwho wrote:
Even though this is troll bait, I'll bite. It's a good question.

How about give everyone in EA an extra three days before they start billing?


Or this. This is fine too.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#84 Aug 25 2013 at 11:50 AM Rating: Default
*
83 posts
SE definitely will need to do something. You can't sell a preorder item for early access and then people are unable to play. They're going to have to build in some free play time or SOMETHING for people who preordered. They're already doing the community a disservice by constantly failing at the FF MMO titles.
#85 Aug 25 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
88 posts
Umm... is this the line to the restroom ? 8)
People need to relax a bit... I want to play like everyone else, but the negativity is just crazy
Games break they get fixed, It's not the end of the world
____________________________
Freaky Deaky Excalibur
#86 Aug 25 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Catwho wrote:
I'm not white knighting SE out of blind faith in the company, I'm defending the server team which has likely been running for the last 36 hours on red bull and no sleep trying to get this sh*t fixed. I feel sorry for them.


I wouldn't say 'feel sorry' but I empathize with the situation they're in. Both ends of the stick, players and company, are getting the short end on this gambit, but SE will suffer far worse in the long haul over the hiccups the past two days.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#87 Aug 25 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
Ivart wrote:
Yes it's a game. A game I CONTRACTED and paid for to play starting August 23. SE has not delivered. A class action lawsuit would compensate everyone who PAID specifically for EA (like me) at the very least. You file in federal court, get the class certified and off ya go. Chances are SE will settle out of court by offering a few free months. I'm completely serious.


I would absolutely love to see that complaint. And the judge. And the trash bin when the judge rips up that complaint and ******* you all out for wasting his and everyone else's time. And if we're all lucky, the contempt of court charge for bringing something so dumb to court.

Ivart wrote:
It's question of good legal writing, not necessarily having a supporting case right on point. In defending SE's certain motion to dismiss on waiver, you win the judge's sympathy by arguing that this very large class of nice, innocent and helpless customers had a modest and quite reasonable expectation, for the limited period of the EA, that SE would deliver $30 worth of goods. Buddy, I'd love that challenge, I know I could get close enough for SE to decide it was better PR and to save legal fees to compensate for the lost EA


You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I've seen this argument in bad TV drama and horrible civil court through people who watch bad TV dramas, but never effectively in court, and never has it come close to winning anything. Ever. I'd like to know which state you passed the BAR in, because I've got 5 minutes, and I could use a few more.
#88 Aug 25 2013 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Legacy Status for ALL PS3ers!!!!


Catwho wrote:
Even though this is troll bait, I'll bite. It's a good question.

How about give everyone in EA an extra three days before they start billing?


Or this. This is fine too.

My question: Why? I mean, just why? It's early access and **** happens. If this is what the entire first week is, then I can see them starting to offer up something. But even then, they don't have to. Everyone agreed to the fact that downtime can, does and will happen. Any compensation is just PR.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#89 Aug 25 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Turgis wrote:
A lot of degrees have you working hard though. A creative writing class with an insane teacher can do that. That doesn't mean you're a guru of knowledge. But I will consent that law is pretty complex, as are economics, business, accounting, finance, history, math, geology, biology, chemistry, programming, etc... (if you get the picture). Generally (GENERALLY) anyone with a degree or high level of technical expertise will understand the complexities of issues, or at least respect them if they don't fully understand them.

That doesn't people won't get mad or have a limit to which they'll then get mad. =)


I'd say a few lecture periods could easily give any reasonably intelligent person the basic gist of tort and liability, though. It's far from the most complex part of legal studies, one of the more uniform areas (in terms of across jurisdictions within the US, at least), and one of the more objective areas, largely because a LOT of case law exists and a lot of the potential hairy issues have been worked through dating back over a couple hundred years at this point. Those two facts alone make it a lot simpler than a large number of other legal concepts where many of the finer points have yet to be thoroughly ironed out by judges at various levels.

Most of the legal issues which are contentious today are so because there are rulings either being contended/considered at higher levels of the judicial system, or because they haven't even made it that far yet. That's how law really works: once legislation goes into effect, it often takes the judicial system years or even decades to figure out how it's going to work in practice. This stuff is nothing new, so when people spout off about "I'mma go sue blah for yadda yadda" without knowing what they're actually talking about, they just come off sounding silly, because the vast majority of the time a judge would just dismiss it in under 30 seconds.

____________________________
Dusk Sanatore (CNJ, FSH, GSM) @ Cactuar
Dusk D'norte (MRD) @ Kujata
#90 Aug 25 2013 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Legacy Status for ALL PS3ers!!!!


Catwho wrote:
Even though this is troll bait, I'll bite. It's a good question.

How about give everyone in EA an extra three days before they start billing?


Or this. This is fine too.

My question: Why? I mean, just why? It's early access and sh*t happens. If this is what the entire first week is, then I can see them starting to offer up something. But even then, they don't have to. Everyone agreed to the fact that downtime can, does and will happen. Any compensation is just PR.


To your point, Legacy Status and it's monthly discount is also PR. They didn't have to do that.

I'm fine not being compensated. I understand these things will continue to happen to most every MMO upon their releases. BUT, if I were being truly selfish about it, EA was an advertised incentive for SE to get my money months before they could even offer me the product. In that regard, I am indeed losing something I paid for. I'm ok with it like I said. Sometimes I want to bake cookies for my IT guy and just say "Thank You" with a shoulder rub. But there is a minor complaint here. Some people are just flipping out a little too much over it.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#91 Aug 25 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
826 posts
Magilicotti wrote:
Good. Bad. Buggy. Laggy. Hard. Easy. Up. Down. Left. Right. B. A. Start.

I don't care. I'll be here, cause the game is fun to me. Not bothered by the errors and maintenance's what so ever.


Thanks for the laugh Magili!
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#92 Aug 25 2013 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
Actually, it is considered a bonus feature. Bonuses are not actually a part of the purchase price, they are incentives for a pre-order. They can be removed with no compensation whatsoever, as you are not purchasing that item. Now if you ordered at a higher price and quite literally paid for an item, you'd have a point.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#93 Aug 25 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
617 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
As someone who understands the technical issues, there is a limit before patience is lost and requires compensation. Some might say that EA is free access to the game and that's just not true. Most people including myself only bothered to buy the CE version because of Early Access. The other goodies weren't worth the extra 30 bucks in my opinion. Now I should note that I'm not advocating compensation at this time. However, if this problem persists into the official launch, compensation of some sort should be provided.

Honestly this was a fair question by the OP, but it's the time table that divided people. The same people who find this thread objectionable today would probably agree if this thread was posted 2 weeks into the future. Everyone has their own limits before they expect compensation. I'm giving SE two weeks before I complain about it. I don't think these problems will last the first week of launch though. So basically we're all just blowing smoke about nothing unless you expected a perfect launch after the Beta 4 issues. I have faith in SE because this server issue is fixable, that's why they're limiting login at the moment. This is exactly how you fix an issue like this. So maybe we should just let the issue reside for now and give SE an opportunity to resolve this. Cat said it best when she pointed out that the network guys are literally working around the clock to fix this. So let's just chill for now guys.


OK, going a little off topic here, I just want to ask you something. Well, this question goes towards any 1.0 player who bought another copy of the game solely for Early Access. I guess my question is...why? You spent $30 (at minimum) just for getting into the game three days earlier. $30...that's two months worth of subscription fees. In my opinion, that's just bad business sense. I'm not knocking your decision at all, you're an adult and can make your own decisions...I just want to hear from you or another 1.0 player what's the reasoning behind the decision.

EDIT: On topic, as for compensation... I was already compensated quite nicely, considering I was one of the people who bought a faulty digital download of the CE from the PSN store. Right now, I'm sitting on a full refund, and a free downloaded CE version of ARR to boot. So...suck it? >_>

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 2:07pm by Arcari
#94 Aug 25 2013 at 12:06 PM Rating: Default
33 posts
Medieve, your zeal is admirable but your argument circular, anecdotal and ad hominem. How about some precedent where a contractual hold harmless agreement was enforced against a claim of reasonable commercial expectation? In my state the courts are sympathetic to screwed citizens and actually almost eager to ignore unfair contract provisions, especially where such a small amount of money is at stake. $30.00 would pay for two months' subscription, thank you very much.
#95 Aug 25 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
19 posts
i concur. these posts are egregiously ad homonimin.
#96 Aug 25 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
Ivart wrote:
Medieve, your zeal is admirable but your argument circular, anecdotal and ad hominem. How about some precedent where a contractual hold harmless agreement was enforced against a claim of reasonable commercial expectation? In my state the courts are sympathetic to screwed citizens and actually almost eager to ignore unfair contract provisions, especially where such a small amount of money is at stake. $30.00 would pay for two months' subscription, thank you very much.


Except that there's nothing unfair about such a contract provision (assuming you're referring to the one that Pawkeshup quoted). In fact, it could easily be shown to be very much the de facto standard across the industry/market in question. Further, when you say "screwed citizens" I assume you're referring to cases in which things like roof collapses due to shoddy workmanship occurred, or where someone paid for a physical item and it was not received in the condition in which they expected it, or something of that nature.

But hey, links to relevant entered judgments are always acceptable and I'd be happy to take a peek at such a link.
____________________________
Dusk Sanatore (CNJ, FSH, GSM) @ Cactuar
Dusk D'norte (MRD) @ Kujata
#97 Aug 25 2013 at 12:17 PM Rating: Decent
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
Ivart wrote:
Medieve, your zeal is admirable but your argument circular, anecdotal and ad hominem. How about some precedent where a contractual hold harmless agreement was enforced against a claim of reasonable commercial expectation? In my state the courts are sympathetic to screwed citizens and actually almost eager to ignore unfair contract provisions, especially where such a small amount of money is at stake. $30.00 would pay for two months' subscription, thank you very much.

Why are you still here! You should totally get on this. Start filing, Mr. Lawyer Man!
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#98 Aug 25 2013 at 12:20 PM Rating: Default
33 posts
The issue is narrow - ignore my (and others') colorful argumentative characterizations - here's the question presented: Whether a contractual hold harmless agreement can be enforced against a claim of reasonable commercial expectation. 30 minutes in Am Jur or WestLaw or your favorite research tool and you'd being writing your opposition to SE's Motion to Dismiss. And um yes I do know what I'm talking about lol. No charge.
#99 Aug 25 2013 at 12:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
405 posts
Although I'm being as patient as I can, I'm beginning to wonder how this really will affect the game going forward. Considering most of us can't play, and the extra salt rub in the wound that the JP servers appear up and working. It's just an overall negative impression, considering the fragile position they are in. They've got pretty much this week or so and the gaming community microscope is on them. Obviously they wouldn't have it this way on purpose, but fixes and stability need to come NOW.

Will people actually follow through? I mean cancelling orders and moving on? Or will it be like most things these days - complain, complain, complain, become apathetic and forget about it. I mean look at the world in general - people hate Walmart, they hate Google, they hate Microsoft, they hate Gamestop, they hate Verizon and they rage and rage on the Internet about it. Then they happily go load their cart at Walmart, pull out their Verizon Android phone and Google search for the nearest Gamestop where they pick up a few games for their XBOX 360. Then they go home, go online and rage some more.

I personally think once everything is stable, people won't even care and will happily play XIV.
#100 Aug 25 2013 at 12:22 PM Rating: Good
Ken Burton's Reject
*****
12,830 posts
DuskCactuar wrote:
Except that there's nothing unfair about such a contract provision (assuming you're referring to the one that Pawkeshup quoted). In fact, it could easily be shown to be very much the de facto standard across the industry/market in question. Further, when you say "screwed citizens" I assume you're referring to cases in which things like roof collapses due to shoddy workmanship occurred, or where someone paid for a physical item and it was not received in the condition in which they expected it, or something of that nature.

But hey, links to relevant entered judgments are always acceptable and I'd be happy to take a peek at such a link.



Here's Blizzard's

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

Warranty Disclaimer.


Blizzard warrants that the media containing the Game Client shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of your purchase of the Game. In the event that the media containing the Game proves to be defective during that time period, Blizzard will at its option (a) correct any defect, (b) provide you with a similar product of similar value, or (c) refund your money when you present Blizzard with proof of purchase of the defective media. THIS IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTY SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION. THE GAME AND THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND BLIZZARD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE GAME OR THE SERVICE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. BLIZZARD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. The entire risk arising out of the use or performance of the Game (including without limitation the Game Client and manual(s)) remains with you, the user. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties, so the above limitations may not apply to you.

It's the only mention of "Interrupted" on the page, I'm not interested more than that to see if there's a specific section for "No we don't owe you **** if the game goes down"
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#101 Aug 25 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
109 posts
Anyone saying anything related to legal matters has likely already signed their argument away in the ToS which I'm 100% sure wasn't read by anyone ever... Also, you've probably already spent $100 worth of your time complaining about the issue

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 2:26pm by GongJr
____________________________
---------------------------------------
PSN: GongJr
FFXIV: Gong Jr - Ultros - WHM
Free Company: The Kraken Club
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2253404/
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 48 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (48)