Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Tanks Trolling the DFFollow

#1 Sep 16 2013 at 6:23 AM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Several times this weekend I was in DF, me as healer and 2 DD ready to go. The DF pops and someone withdraws right away (Tank). It pops again and withdraws right away. It pops again and withdraws right away ad nasuem. Each time it was the tank slot. One time it pops, we get inside, and the tank drops. Was this an isolated incidence this weekend or did others come across this? Maybe YOU where one of the Tanks in question!
#2 Sep 16 2013 at 6:42 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
59 posts
Remember this happening to me but it was a connection issue, and the only PTs have ever joined the tanks usually quit a few minutes in or after wiping on first mini boss. So I think you're just not lucky with them quitting right at the beginning.
____________________________
FFXIV
Zero Hellsing (PLD)

FC The Kraken Club

FFXI - BST75 DRK75 (retired)
#3 Sep 16 2013 at 7:28 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,743 posts
I think that duty finder has a long way to go. Even when you have a party of 4 it queues you up for a 20 minute wait. Took me 2 hours to get in to Amdapoor Keep last night (even checked join party already in progess), then got in after apparantly two folks left the dd and healer, got a great tank, talked the new dragoon through soulflayer and demon wall, only to run out of time on the bone dragon. Bleh.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Ul'Dah; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#4 Sep 16 2013 at 7:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
337 posts
They think it's funny that DPS need to wait 40 minutes while they get instant queues. They need to check their tank privilege.
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn
Lucas Nox on Midgardsormr
#5 Sep 16 2013 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
What makes you think this is trolling? Sounds like connection issues.
#6 Sep 16 2013 at 7:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
786 posts
It's the impersonal nature of Duty Finder. To me it seems like players are simply not in front of their PC/Console to accept the Duty Finder popup. I've seen Duty Finder fail 4 times in a row for Prat run because someone fails to accept the popup alert. What you're experiencing with Duty Finder is completely different from the face-to-face encounter with players within an instance. Some might take one look at everyone's gear and decide to take the 15-min hit then risk a failed run. The second part might be mitigated once they deploy patch 2.1. I for one wish they put out a stacking deserter's penalty for ditching an instance. First offense is the standard 15 minutes and then keep doubling the penalty for each future offense.
#7 Sep 16 2013 at 7:59 AM Rating: Decent
******
41,272 posts
moonfroh wrote:
What makes you think this is trolling?
Trolling is the defacto internet reaction slash passive-aggressive insult to things people don't agree to, regardless of the situation. It's up there in it's uselessness as "elitism" and "American."

Edited, Sep 16th 2013 10:00am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Sep 16 2013 at 8:00 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
nonameoflevi wrote:
Several times this weekend I was in DF, me as healer and 2 DD ready to go. The DF pops and someone withdraws right away (Tank). It pops again and withdraws right away. It pops again and withdraws right away ad nasuem. Each time it was the tank slot. One time it pops, we get inside, and the tank drops. Was this an isolated incidence this weekend or did others come across this? Maybe YOU where one of the Tanks in question!


Are you sure they were withdrawing or time ran out and it withdrew them? DF works automatically so if you sign up for a DF from like a hour ago, it can pop up and you can be afk missing the party. I can't tell you how many afk DD's do this. People are quick to whine that DD's shouldn't be doing this, but when you wait for a hour or longer sometimes, there is a good reason for falling asleep. I think you just had a bad weekend. While tanks typically get party invites a lot faster, I don't think it's any form of elitism. It's simply they're tired, busy, or any other of RL issues that prevent party play. Maybe they forgot to turn off DF, I've done that before on accident. My general point is to not be paranoid and judge each situation separately.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#9 Sep 16 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
64 posts
Most of them don't even know how to tank, they need to have their tank privileges revoked. As a healer and my wife as DPS though we get right in almost always but then again we are only level 30 at the moment.
____________________________
Shiener Grallen - Siren Server - Heal Extraordinaire
#10 Sep 16 2013 at 8:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
11,181 posts
sh*tty tanks aside it's because they do this:

[x]Castrum Meri.
[x]Praetorium
[x]Bowl of Embers (Hard)
[x]The Naval (Hard)
[x]The Howling Eye (Hard)

And what the tank gets is usually the one they don't want to do thus they keep withdrawing and requeuing until they get into the one that want, why they choose not to just click one instead of a set? We'll never know, they usually give up and just take what queues up eventually. Also, you can tell immediately when someone withdraws or time runs out. You get 50 seconds, if they withdraw with anything less than 10 seconds left, it was them manually cancelling it.
#11 Sep 16 2013 at 8:45 AM Rating: Default
**
562 posts
Theonehio wrote:
sh*tty tanks aside it's because they do this:

[x]Castrum Meri.
[x]Praetorium
[x]Bowl of Embers (Hard)
[x]The Naval (Hard)
[x]The Howling Eye (Hard)

And what the tank gets is usually the one they don't want to do thus they keep withdrawing and requeuing until they get into the one that want, why they choose not to just click one instead of a set? We'll never know, they usually give up and just take what queues up eventually. Also, you can tell immediately when someone withdraws or time runs out. You get 50 seconds, if they withdraw with anything less than 10 seconds left, it was them manually cancelling it.


The Bolded part is what I'm talking about. The INSTANCE the DF pops with a full party (after waiting a few and seeing that we only need a tank) someone withdraws. Not 40 seconds, not 30 seconds not even 10 seconds but IMMEEJUTLY! And then it finds someone and again IMMEEJUTLY the person withdraws.

#12 Sep 16 2013 at 8:47 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Trolling is the defacto internet reaction slash passive-aggressive insult to things people don't agree to, regardless of the situation. It's up there in it's uselessness as "elitism" and "American."


Elitist Americans are the biggest trolls, in my experience.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#13 Sep 16 2013 at 8:51 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
431 posts
Oh the DF is still there?
Or even better there are tanks?
It felt like there isn't one the last 3 days for me.
I always gave up after 2hrs+ with my WHM (now lvl 35)....

I think they really need to improve the situation.
Either on the server side or from the player side (make tanking more appealing to people for example)
____________________________
AlexisLucia wrote:
It's ok, my native language is Typo, so I probably would have understood.

#14 Sep 16 2013 at 8:51 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
Theonehio wrote:
sh*tty tanks aside it's because they do this:

[x]Castrum Meri.
[x]Praetorium
[x]Bowl of Embers (Hard)
[x]The Naval (Hard)
[x]The Howling Eye (Hard)

And what the tank gets is usually the one they don't want to do thus they keep withdrawing and requeuing until they get into the one that want, why they choose not to just click one instead of a set? We'll never know, they usually give up and just take what queues up eventually. Also, you can tell immediately when someone withdraws or time runs out. You get 50 seconds, if they withdraw with anything less than 10 seconds left, it was them manually cancelling it.


Frankly, what a tank does with their DF is their own damn business. I don't see the reason to hate on people because they're not living up to other people's expectations. My retort isn't directed at you, but all people who think they're entitled to tanks that must adhere to their every whim. The real problem with the system isn't the tanks, but the sheer number of people on DPS classes. I'm playing a DPS class first myself, but I fully expect to wait long times. I don't cry about it because after I wait a hour the tank withdrawals on me. That kind of mentality reeks of the me, me, me entitlement.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#15 Sep 16 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
786 posts
I personally found better results with joining a friendly outgoing FreeCompany. I have a core group of friends that I can run the usual dungeon crawls with. In the evenings we try to put together several 8-man runs to help everyone get their Tomestones or work towards their relic quests. I only use the Duty Finer during slow hours when most of our crew are offline.
#16 Sep 16 2013 at 9:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
150 posts
I really wish they made tanking and healing in these games more...entertaining. There has got to be a way to do it.

Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min. Sigh..

My guess is that tank was most likely looking for his favorite composition for the run...which is strange because he could just start a goup in chat and just wait the 15-30min it takes to reserve a spot on the duty server rather than rolling the dice.

Wait....

If you are the first to leave a dungeon you get a 15min lock out...

So on second thought...how the hell was he leaving then joining over and over?
#17 Sep 16 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
Strangerous wrote:
I really wish they made tanking and healing in these games more...entertaining. There has got to be a way to do it.

Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min. Sigh..


I don't think it has anything to do about tanking/healer roles not being entertaining enough. Sure maybe in the early dungeons, but after that, I disagree. The real problem has to do with us. Our western egos are all about parsing and e-peen, not a group effort. A tank's role is to make others' look good,same with healers. It's not attractive to the type of player that only cares about their own performance. That's the real problem here, it has nothing to do with the job mechanics. The good tanks I've had the opportunity to play with have validated me on that. Sadly, this is culture issue, not a mechanic one.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#18 Sep 16 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,398 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Strangerous wrote:
I really wish they made tanking and healing in these games more...entertaining. There has got to be a way to do it.

Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min. Sigh..


I don't think it has anything to do about tanking/healer roles not being entertaining enough. Sure maybe in the early dungeons, but after that, I disagree. The real problem has to do with us. Our western egos are all about parsing and e-peen, not a group effort. A tank's role is to make others' look good,same with healers. It's not attractive to the type of player that only cares about their own performance. That's the real problem here, it has nothing to do with the job mechanics. The good tanks I've had the opportunity to play with have validated me on that. Sadly, this is culture issue, not a mechanic one.


Not entirely, but that is part of it. It's just as much the fact that tank/heals is more "work" and more responsibility. Also more accountability when things go wrong. I play DPS and tank; I love my PLD and I love tanking, but when I'm tired or burnt out, I will run dungeons on DRG because its honestly less effort.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#19 Sep 16 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
431 posts
Strangerous wrote:
I really wish they made tanking and healing in these games more...entertaining. There has got to be a way to do it.

Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min. Sigh..


I love healing and I'm even thinking about getting WHM and SCH to 50.
But instant queues? I want to be in your DF group.
Like I said already I am waiting 2hrs+ as a healer the last days.

I guess its time to join a FC and build groups that way. May be it helps a little.
____________________________
AlexisLucia wrote:
It's ok, my native language is Typo, so I probably would have understood.

#20 Sep 16 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
95 posts
Strangerous wrote:
I really wish they made tanking and healing in these games more...entertaining. There has got to be a way to do it.

Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min.


First of all you're part of the problem. Tanking and healing aren't boring in the slightest. It's your attitude and the attitudes of others that causes the deficit of healers and tanks. People cry that there are too many dps....but yet insist on being dps! Hilarious.
#21 Sep 16 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Quote:
First of all you're part of the problem. Tanking and healing aren't boring in the slightest. It's your attitude and the attitudes of others that causes the deficit of healers and tanks. People cry that there are too many dps....but yet insist on being dps! Hilarious.


Yep.

Personally I love healing. But I've been doing it for years now and I wanted a change of pace.

I also fully accept that playing dps means that my queue times are going to blow. It's part of the package.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#22 Sep 16 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
Llester wrote:


Not entirely, but that is part of it. It's just as much the fact that tank/heals is more "work" and more responsibility. Also more accountability when things go wrong. I play DPS and tank; I love my PLD and I love tanking, but when I'm tired or burnt out, I will run dungeons on DRG because its honestly less effort.


I don't agree that tanking/healing is more work in this game. If DD's are taking damage because they're not constantly moving out of AoE crossfire or not delivering enough damage soon enough, wipes happen. I'll cite an early example so everyone will understand. Take the Ifrit fight where the DD need to kill the pillar thingy before he uses Hellfire. If Hellfire is going off, it's the DD's fault. There are many other examples to list, but let's not dwell on it. As for healers, their primary focus is the tank. Tanks need to hold hate and stay alive. Marking IMO doesn't have to be a tanking thing. Anyone can mark so I'm not adding that to a tank's role. DD's often find themselves dying if they take any damage because the healer is so focused on the tank. This mean many of the deaths are a direct result of the DD being stupid.

No offense, but I wouldn't want your DRG in my party. If you think it's easier to play a DD, you're doing it wrong.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#23 Sep 16 2013 at 10:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,398 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Llester wrote:


Not entirely, but that is part of it. It's just as much the fact that tank/heals is more "work" and more responsibility. Also more accountability when things go wrong. I play DPS and tank; I love my PLD and I love tanking, but when I'm tired or burnt out, I will run dungeons on DRG because its honestly less effort.


I don't agree that tanking/healing is more work in this game. If DD's are taking damage because they're not constantly moving out of AoE crossfire or not delivering enough damage soon enough, wipes happen. I'll cite an early example so everyone will understand. Take the Ifrit fight where the DD need to kill the pillar thingy before he uses Hellfire. If Hellfire is going off, it's the DD's fault. There are many other examples to list, but let's not dwell on it. As for healers, their primary focus is the tank. Tanks need to hold hate and stay alive. Marking IMO doesn't have to be a tanking thing. Anyone can mark so I'm not adding that to a tank's role. DD's often find themselves dying if they take any damage because the healer is so focused on the tank. This mean many of the deaths are a direct result of the DD being stupid.

No offense, but I wouldn't want your DRG in my party. If you think it's easier to play a DD, you're doing it wrong.


no offense taken, i don't really respect where you're coming from on most things anyway from what i've seen /shrug.


also, it's easier to play a DPS. avoid and do a rotation. its not rocket science.

edit: not that tanking is all that "hard" either. it's still more responsibility and hence more effort, at least for me. as a tank you basically have to be the "leader" in most scenarios. Sometimes i want to do that, sometimes i just want to kill things. either way, you're being needlessly and obnoxiously judgemental so grats on that.

Edited, Sep 16th 2013 12:32pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#24 Sep 16 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,491 posts
There was a saying in XI...

- When you're a great red mage or white mage, you are invisible. All credit and glory go to the DDs after taking down a successful boss or hitting a long chain or high exp/hour. You do you job right and nobody even knows you're there.

- When you are a bad red mage or white mage, you are the spotlight of the party and everyone hates you. Because they're dead.

Healing in an MMO, and all support jobs really, is an act of selflessness. You're playing the job because you enjoy helping others perform to the best of their ability. (Or you're like me and you freak out when you can't cure yourself, let alone anyone else.)

I think tanking is a lot more work than healing, and that's why the healers are now in the same boat as some of the DPS in terms of wait times. People decided to level a healer to shortcut the dungeon wait times, because it takes a specific mind set to be a good tank and fewer people have that mind set.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#25 Sep 16 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
Llester wrote:


also, it's easier to play a DPS. avoid and do a rotation. its not rocket science.


I can say the exact same thing about tanking. Now if you choose to do more than other people, that's why you might not agree. Spamming abilities and attempting to migrate hate is no more difficult than avoiding AoE and killing targets including adds. It's not rocket science for any job in this game. We sure don't need people to scare off potential tanks either.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#26 Sep 16 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,398 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Llester wrote:


also, it's easier to play a DPS. avoid and do a rotation. its not rocket science.


I can say the exact same thing about tanking. Now if you choose to do more than other people, that's why you might not agree. Spamming abilities and attempting to migrate hate is no more difficult than avoiding AoE and killing targets including adds. It's not rocket science for any job in this game. We sure don't need people to scare off potential tanks either.


stop being purposefully obtuse.

i'm already turned off by this discussion, so i'll be brief. its not the buttons you push. its the role you play. as a tank you are the focus of everything that is happening. it is more "pressure" so to speak. if you don't understand this, and i suspect that you don't or don't want to, then there's nothing else to be said.

and scaring off potential tanks? that's ridiculous.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#27 Sep 16 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Just to add in a tidbit. This weekend when I DID have a good tank and I went back in the DF I got matched up with the same tank 3 times in a row and another tank 2 times in a row. Thats just how small the pool is I'm guessing. Also, I have started to do runs with a Pally friend from my FC. After we both get our relics, I'm switching to Pally and he is doing whatever class.
#28 Sep 16 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,407 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
No offense, but I wouldn't want your DRG in my party. If you think it's easier to play a DD, you're doing it wrong.


The area that separates good and bad for tanks or healers has less room for play than it does for DD. I wouldn't necessarily say it's easier to play, but it's definitely harder to be bad at than tank or healer. While it isn't anything nerve wracking, it does require more attention to details like positioning and being more aware of your group than just yourself as DD tends to be.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#29 Sep 16 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
I did Stone Vigil last night with the DF, and funny thing was the other 3 members were from the same LS on another server. Tank, Healer and Blackmage. They said they had tried the run a few times but kept failing cause the DD kept targeting the wrong enemies and not avoiding any of the aoe spells from the final boss. After running with them, and only dying once to a d/c, it amazed me how a DD can have just as bad of an impact as the tank and healer.

Is DD easier overall, yes, but if you're a tool, things can go downhill in a hurry regardless of what the tank and healer are doing. I've said it before, I'll say it again, ANY party that attempts to communicate from the get go is usually damn good. Any party that stays silent the entire time, even after you've said something is one to be weary of. Or one with a lancer named Donkey Face...should of known by his name alone things weren't going to go well.
____________________________

#30 Sep 16 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
786 posts
Strangerous wrote:
Tanks and healers get instant queues while I sit and wait for 55min. Sigh..


The only time that I ever observe instant queues as a healer is with Titan Hard Mode. All the rest of the Duty Finder usually takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes while registered with the L.50 runs. But I do see the frustrations with the DD crowd as which that's what I usually run in other games.
#31 Sep 16 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
nonameoflevi wrote:
Just to add in a tidbit. This weekend when I DID have a good tank and I went back in the DF I got matched up with the same tank 3 times in a row and another tank 2 times in a row. Thats just how small the pool is I'm guessing. Also, I have started to do runs with a Pally friend from my FC. After we both get our relics, I'm switching to Pally and he is doing whatever class.


When I was doing my Garuda story fight this weekend, I got the same tank and second dps three times. Only the healer changed as the previous ones couldn't keep up with the incoming damage (and yes, we were doing the fight properly).
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#32 Sep 16 2013 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
330 posts
Auftragskiller wrote:
Oh the DF is still there?
Or even better there are tanks?
It felt like there isn't one the last 3 days for me.
I always gave up after 2hrs+ with my WHM (now lvl 35)....

I think they really need to improve the situation.
Either on the server side or from the player side (make tanking more appealing to people for example)


Waited 2 + hrs on DF as a whm? Seriously???? My lvl 50 SCH never waited more then 30mins for any DF, majority of them were accepted within 10 mins max. Longest DF i had to wait for was the first 8 man fight against a judge in the main story line.
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Hyperion Server
#33 Sep 16 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,011 posts
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to Subscriptions going live just to clear out some of the nonsense.
#34 Sep 16 2013 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,407 posts
RyanSquires wrote:
Auftragskiller wrote:
Oh the DF is still there?
Or even better there are tanks?
It felt like there isn't one the last 3 days for me.
I always gave up after 2hrs+ with my WHM (now lvl 35)....

I think they really need to improve the situation.
Either on the server side or from the player side (make tanking more appealing to people for example)


Waited 2 + hrs on DF as a whm? Seriously???? My lvl 50 SCH never waited more then 30mins for any DF, majority of them were accepted within 10 mins max. Longest DF i had to wait for was the first 8 man fight against a judge in the main story line.


Most people at that level are just grinding out FATEs. That's probably the reason why it's hard to find groups through DF. There are many more people at cap than there are in the lower and mid levels and most of those people don't bother with dungeons because it's kinda a waste of time.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#35 Sep 16 2013 at 1:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Quote:
Most people at that level are just grinding out FATEs. That's probably the reason why it's hard to find groups through DF. There are many more people at cap than there are in the lower and mid levels and most of those people don't bother with dungeons because it's kinda a waste of time.


Unless, like me, you hate grinding FATEs and will seek almost any alternative to it. Dungeons work well for that, but I recognize that MMO players will typically pick the most efficient path and FATEs are definitely more efficient.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#36 Sep 16 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,491 posts
With a rested bonus, I'd say some dungeons are on par with fates on an exp/hour basis, because you do get credit for all the trash mob kills.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#37 Sep 16 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
183 posts
Is it just me are does grinding fates seem stupid? Like what did you buy the game for? Obviously not the content. Then they get to 50 and are like "Omgz this game is the suxors! NO game content, will be F2P in a week, and then servers will shutdown!!11!!!1!111!11" or "Well just another crap MMO WoW rip off where i get to endgame and have to grind dungeons" Like WTF are playing this game for then, go play hello kitty island or something ffs. Or, I dunno, maybe try actually playing the game as a whole and having some fun with it.

I am by no means a "hardcore" MMO player, nor am I a SE fanboi, I did not play FF11 although I have played a majority of the other FF games. I did play WoW for 7 years, GW 1 and 2, and Rift. I have 2 kids and a full time job, I get about 2 hours to play in the afternoon while the kids take a nap, and then after about 9pm I play till I start to fall asleep, usually sometime around 2am. That being said, I am only lvl 34 on my BLM and I am loving this game, the quests, fates, dungeons, hunting log, leves, its all fun to me and I never feel like I don't have something to do. I mean sure, I can't wait to get to endgame, but I also can't wait to start leveling some other jobs. IMO if your bored in this game that's your own damn fault. I honestly feel like I havent had this much fun in an MMO since Vanilla WoW/Burning Crusade.

And as far as the duty finder, either make a tank/healer (I played a death knight tank in Wrath for this particular reason), or find one on your server and make them your best friends. One of my close friends is a tank, and I have literally had zero bad experiences in the duty finder, minus the random elitists that show up every now and again and try to tell everyone what to do and tell everyone they are stupid and will fail at endgame, which i just tend to brush those aholes off.

Sorry for the tangent, but it gets annoying listening to people bash this game when really its still in its infancy.


Gnu wrote:
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to Subscriptions going live just to clear out some of the nonsense.


This right here, I honestly hope this game stays sub based just to weed out the morons.
____________________________
Character Name: Jeskradha Duskmantle
Free Company - The Kraken Club <ZAM>
Server: Ultros
#38 Sep 16 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
316 posts
Haven't had this happen but did have a crazy run where the DF was trolling US. DF kept slapping me and another dps and a tank, usually the same people, in the dungeon but no healer XD. We end up giving up and leaving, and DF minutes later, tosses us back together for the same situation. Eventually we got a healer and completed the dungeon. That said, you can kind of tell if its a slow day through DF if it does that.

My only worry is fake DCing tanks and healers. So you kind of just wonder, when people drop at boss entrance or some other "point of importance".

Edited, Sep 16th 2013 4:55pm by TwilightSkye

Edited, Sep 16th 2013 4:56pm by TwilightSkye
____________________________
FFXI character: Elathia ::F Tarutaru::85SCH/75RDM/70WHM/54BLM::Bahamut::1/24/2004 - Present::
RDM Maat victory: March 28, 2008 (1/3)
#39 Sep 16 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,101 posts
Gnu wrote:
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to Subscriptions going live just to clear out some of the nonsense.

Many jerks & trolls have money too. Some of the players you'd like to keep around could also bail on the game.
#40 Sep 16 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
94 posts
I'm a tank and spent all day Sunday spamming Brayfox. I usually have a zero wait, although often the DF will time out waiting in a DD (which I kind of understand if the wait times are as long as people are saying).

I agree that people picking and choosing is a pain. I'd like to add that I just take what I'm given and haven't dropped out once.

On the tank vs dd thing, I guess it depends on the situation/dungeon but certainly in the tougher ones everyone has to pull their weight.

I also agree with the silent party comment. If nobody is responding to chat, its usually a bad sign.

I have nothing more to add except @Gnu - you're not Unix!
____________________________
Salt and corrosion... the infamous old enemies of the crime fighter!
#41 Sep 16 2013 at 4:01 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
239 posts
I got to admit, I ditched a run right into it as tank. I finally unlocked Qarn, and when I did DF I had Brayflox still checked and just couldn't make that kind of run. So I bailed, felt bad but just didn't want to run Brayflox again.
____________________________
Quote:
WAR has access to enough enmity gear and enough hate-inducing JA to aggro baby jesus.


Quote:
When I'm trying to decide what spell to cast I look at the mobs' weaknesses, check the day, check the weather and then calmly cast Thunder IV.
#42 Sep 16 2013 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Techsupport wrote:
I got to admit, I ditched a run right into it as tank. I finally unlocked Qarn, and when I did DF I had Brayflox still checked and just couldn't make that kind of run. So I bailed, felt bad but just didn't want to run Brayflox again.


____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#43 Sep 16 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,085 posts
I met the worst tank diva I've ever encountered last night, and I thought I'd seen it all.

This one was under the impression that as a healer, I should be able to use an exploit where if you use an AoE cure while the person is raised, it should cure Weakness.

Now, I've never heard of this before, but there is a more plain reason why you would do this. After someone is raised, you can't target them with a spell for a good 5 seconds or so. If you try, the spell just targets the caster instead. However, AoE spells still hit the raised person immediately, so it makes sense in the midst of a boss battle to use an AoE cure right away so they don't die by the first AoE blast that comes along while they have only a few hundred HP.

So I think this tank knew enough that using an AoE cure after a Raise was a good idea, but had the wrong idea that it was because it cured Weakness. He was so disappointed I couldn't get this "miraculous exploit" to work that he dropped the party right then and there mid-fight. Smiley: oyvey

Fortunately, I was there with my friend who is an awesome summoner and skillfully took over the tanking. Smiley: nod

Edited, Sep 16th 2013 6:47pm by Xoie
#44 Sep 17 2013 at 7:11 AM Rating: Default
**
562 posts
Techsupport wrote:
I got to admit, I ditched a run right into it as tank. I finally unlocked Qarn, and when I did DF I had Brayflox still checked and just couldn't make that kind of run. So I bailed, felt bad but just didn't want to run Brayflox again.


Case-in-point
#45 Sep 17 2013 at 7:47 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
53 posts
I played FFXI since 2003 (Shout out to Carbuncle server - yay!) and was a superb PLD up to lvl 61 when I transfered to DRG (and subsequently got to lvl 82 with that).

One of the WHMs in my parties told me I was the best PLD she ever played with. When she did Benediction, I managed to maintain the hate and save her from dying.

However, in FFXIV, being a tank scares me to death. Being a PLD in FFXI, you stood around while someone would pull the mob to you, which, in turn you would provoke and tank. One at a time, usually. Piece of cake. This game involves several mobs headed to you at once. I tend to stand like a deer in the headlights upon that approach.

I would love to be a PLD in this game, but I think I'll stay with my MNK.
____________________________
MONK - Balmung
#46 Sep 17 2013 at 7:58 AM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
chubbychokobo wrote:
I played FFXI since 2003 (Shout out to Carbuncle server - yay!) and was a superb PLD up to lvl 61 when I transfered to DRG (and subsequently got to lvl 82 with that).

One of the WHMs in my parties told me I was the best PLD she ever played with. When she did Benediction, I managed to maintain the hate and save her from dying.

However, in FFXIV, being a tank scares me to death. Being a PLD in FFXI, you stood around while someone would pull the mob to you, which, in turn you would provoke and tank. One at a time, usually. Piece of cake. This game involves several mobs headed to you at once. I tend to stand like a deer in the headlights upon that approach.

I would love to be a PLD in this game, but I think I'll stay with my MNK.


I completely understand what you mean. Tanking in this game is more like WoW and if you have not played that style of tanking it can be daunting. I also have hear tanks tell me, I'm waiting on the pull to get my mana back up. Then I got on my tank and saw that a skill UNDER level 15 GIVES you mana. Its a new game. I had to explain to my TANK last night during an AK run of all things how the threat meter works. Mind you he had been doing a good job since then but now he has the knowledge of the ingame tool to do even better. I try and teach when I can.
#47 Sep 17 2013 at 8:00 AM Rating: Decent
*****
12,561 posts
moonfroh wrote:
What makes you think this is trolling? Sounds like connection issues.

Want to know how to tell the difference?

If someone disconnects, their character is left in the party for a few minutes until the finder boots them. If they leave the party, that hole is left there immediately and you are prompted by the Finder (if you are party lead) to accept requests to fill that position.

I had EXACTLY this issue this weekend. It was a Pld and they dumped a party I was in twice.
____________________________
Blah
#48 Sep 17 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
220 posts
Sorry that was probably me, here's why:

I'm a 50 PLD, and I can admit to spamming the DF, I'm actually looking for "In Progress" parties, because back in Brayflox a lot of bad tanks couldn't handle the last boss and I found that a quick way to exp and get gear, plus you'd help a stuck party finish the dungeon.

The same thing with Amadpor Keep, I look for people stuck at the wall too, sometimes I don't have time for a full dungeon run anyways, so I'm just hitting find every now and then hoping for a In Progress instance. Sorry it drives some of you nuts, but people queueing for in progress parties also helps those who happen to be stuck.

I guess I could just join a brand new dungeon run if there are none in progress, but I guess we're a bit spoiled since we can get whatever we want as tanks. I can pretty much go a whole day getting in progress dungeons and get my tombstones much faster, sorry guys!



Edited, Sep 17th 2013 4:21pm by SyniteonReflux
#49 Sep 17 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
I personally had one time where I was clicking around and didn't even see the duty finder pop up (i'm not even sure it ever did pop up). Luckily the group was formed w/out using duty finder and we just re-queued. I could see how this might cause issues though if i'm busy clicking around my screen and cover the duty finder pop up with something else.

I think people choose not to tank or heal not because they want to ePeen the DPS charts but because it has the least amount of responsibility. If a group dies in a battle it is most likely the tank or healers fault, very rarely is the DD blamed for a sh*tty party. 70% of the time its a sh*tty tank, 30% of the time is a sh*tty healer.
#50 Sep 17 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
I personally had one time where I was clicking around and didn't even see the duty finder pop up (i'm not even sure it ever did pop up). Luckily the group was formed w/out using duty finder and we just re-queued. I could see how this might cause issues though if i'm busy clicking around my screen and cover the duty finder pop up with something else.

I think people choose not to tank or heal not because they want to ePeen the DPS charts but because it has the least amount of responsibility. If a group dies in a battle it is most likely the tank or healers fault, very rarely is the DD blamed for a sh*tty party. 70% of the time its a sh*tty tank, 30% of the time is a sh*tty healer.


At this point its a three way split. IF tank doens't hold hate bosses kill everyone. IF the healer doesn't heal the tank and everyone well the boss kills everyone. IF the DD doesn't kill adds fast enough THEY kill everyone.
#51 Sep 17 2013 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Quote:
very rarely is the DD blamed for a sh*tty party.


Never underestimate an asshat looking for someone to blame. No one is safe from their wrathful gaze.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 162 All times are in CDT