Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

How has it been going?Follow

#1 Jul 26 2016 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Well Tesee and I have been playing Elder scrolls online with a few friends from FFXIV and FFXI.
I do not really care for the game and Tesee flat out hates it.
We have not de-subed form FFXIV yet.
But boy once you play other games you do feel some of the things FFXIV does Right.
Controls for one, FFXIV controls so well.. ESO just feels old and clunky. ESO graphics aint the greatest and just feel dark and dirty.
Menus work so good on FFXIV. ESO it is so hard to even do a emote.
ESO is not for us right now that is for sure. Part of it is playing SE Games is in our blood.
We have played a little FFXIV again but end game is so repetitive I am not sure we are coming back.. Basically finished patch 3.3 except for the last dungeon. Seems we are having a hard time unlocking it.. The quest is not there but I think we have to go back some to get this quest to unlock. We must have missed something prior.

I think if we could find Tesee a really cheap computer to run FFXI we would go back and just finish old content we have not finished in the game. After we finsih the old content come back and test see where FFXIV is at that point. I do not think it would even take 6 months to Finish what we have left in FFXI. How is FFXI after the loss of the xbox and PS?

Is it worth gong back too FFXI? Is there a better server than others? Any servers anyone playing on so we can join you.? We stopped the day they dropped the Xbox since that is what Tesee plays on.

What is everyone doing?
I do not see some of the regulars posting here anymore.





Edited, Jul 26th 2016 3:43pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#2 Jul 26 2016 at 10:14 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
I'm still playing XI and have been for quite some time. Despite announcing the suspension of service for consoles, this development team accelerated the update schedule. It also seems as they're splitting time between adding/adjusting content as well as making the game more PC conscious.

I know they've said that they were done with expansions, but the amount of juice this game can squeeze from shifting to PC almost makes it seem like they're shifting to XI Remastered. I know that it's been said that they would not be continuing to make expansions, but we all know how SE has been when it comes to their track record. Level uncapping, mount system, tons more storage space... ect.

I just play the game I enjoy the most at this point. Since my time is a bit more limited these days it feels like doing one thing takes away from the other. XIV feels more like it takes away from what I could be doing in XI than the other way around. If I had more time then I'd probably play both games(among others). XI would probably still get more time since there's so much more of the game I want to experience.

Copper coins.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#3 Jul 27 2016 at 6:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
Nashred wrote:
Well Tesee and I have been playing Elder scrolls online with a few friends from FFXIV and FFXI.
I do not really care for the game and Tesee flat out hates it.
We have not de-subed form FFXIV yet.
But boy once you play other games you do feel some of the things FFXIV does Right.
Controls for one, FFXIV controls so well.. ESO just feels old and clunky. ESO graphics aint the greatest and just feel dark and dirty.
Menus work so good on FFXIV. ESO it is so hard to even do a emote.
ESO is not for us right now that is for sure. Part of it is playing SE Games is in our blood.
We have played a little FFXIV again but end game is so repetitive I am not sure we are coming back.. Basically finished patch 3.3 except for the last dungeon. Seems we are having a hard time unlocking it.. The quest is not there but I think we have to go back some to get this quest to unlock. We must have missed something prior.

I think if we could find Tesee a really cheap computer to run FFXI we would go back and just finish old content we have not finished in the game. After we finsih the old content come back and test see where FFXIV is at that point. I do not think it would even take 6 months to Finish what we have left in FFXI. How is FFXI after the loss of the xbox and PS?

Is it worth gong back too FFXI? Is there a better server than others? Any servers anyone playing on so we can join you.? We stopped the day they dropped the Xbox since that is what Tesee plays on.

What is everyone doing?
I do not see some of the regulars posting here anymore.





Edited, Jul 26th 2016 3:43pm by Nashred

I am still playing ESO. I like it because I can equip other weapons or armor despite choosing a class. The game can be very solo centric but some of the group content is super fun. One thing I don't like is the way taunts are handled.

The controls on PC controller handle just like the console version, a lazy port. The worst thing about controller for me is the wonky interact/jump button.

The emotes are just like FFXIV, open a menu and choose emote or type it.

ESO can look and play bad on weaker systems but when you got a 4k PC and tweak the graphics removing fog and such it is amazing. Only game I would even compare to it is Black Desert in visual splendor.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wbwmKKPPnvM/VHXxskzs3GI/AAAAAAAAAH4/vStEXGXsh7c/s1600/Marbruk.jpg

The base game is rather clunky. It's one of those games that requires add-on to get a better experience and conveniences. Skyshards, lorebooks, quest tracker, graphic enhancers, etc.

What doesn't Tess like about it or you besides what you just mentioned?
#4 Jul 27 2016 at 7:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
sandpark wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Well Tesee and I have been playing Elder scrolls online with a few friends from FFXIV and FFXI.
I do not really care for the game and Tesee flat out hates it.
We have not de-subed form FFXIV yet.
But boy once you play other games you do feel some of the things FFXIV does Right.
Controls for one, FFXIV controls so well.. ESO just feels old and clunky. ESO graphics aint the greatest and just feel dark and dirty.
Menus work so good on FFXIV. ESO it is so hard to even do a emote.
ESO is not for us right now that is for sure. Part of it is playing SE Games is in our blood.
We have played a little FFXIV again but end game is so repetitive I am not sure we are coming back.. Basically finished patch 3.3 except for the last dungeon. Seems we are having a hard time unlocking it.. The quest is not there but I think we have to go back some to get this quest to unlock. We must have missed something prior.

I think if we could find Tesee a really cheap computer to run FFXI we would go back and just finish old content we have not finished in the game. After we finsih the old content come back and test see where FFXIV is at that point. I do not think it would even take 6 months to Finish what we have left in FFXI. How is FFXI after the loss of the xbox and PS?

Is it worth gong back too FFXI? Is there a better server than others? Any servers anyone playing on so we can join you.? We stopped the day they dropped the Xbox since that is what Tesee plays on.

What is everyone doing?
I do not see some of the regulars posting here anymore.





Edited, Jul 26th 2016 3:43pm by Nashred

I am still playing ESO. I like it because I can equip other weapons or armor despite choosing a class. The game can be very solo centric but some of the group content is super fun. One thing I don't like is the way taunts are handled.

The controls on PC controller handle just like the console version, a lazy port. The worst thing about controller for me is the wonky interact/jump button.

The emotes are just like FFXIV, open a menu and choose emote or type it.

ESO can look and play bad on weaker systems but when you got a 4k PC and tweak the graphics removing fog and such it is amazing. Only game I would even compare to it is Black Desert in visual splendor.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wbwmKKPPnvM/VHXxskzs3GI/AAAAAAAAAH4/vStEXGXsh7c/s1600/Marbruk.jpg

The base game is rather clunky. It's one of those games that requires add-on to get a better experience and conveniences. Skyshards, lorebooks, quest tracker, graphic enhancers, etc.

What doesn't Tess like about it or you besides what you just mentioned?


She really does not like anything about it. She played the last Elder Scrolls game and only played it for a few days. I liked Oblivion the best and this game feels more like the least ES game which neither of us cared for. Even the main mission just feels hollow.

I think if you could click on a player to send emotes or tells it would be nice.

I think a big part of it is trying to learn a new system when you are so used to FFXI or FFXIV. FFXIV was so easy to transition too. The whole 3rd person view just feels strange.

I do not know but it really is hard to put your finger on it. Maybe if we gave it more time, I do not know, There are games I hated off the bat and fell in love with later.

I probably would give it a little more time but I am not sure she does. The hard part is we got several friends to play it with us. I used to play FFXI with them and missed them but sometimes a game just is not for you. I thought this would be a way for us all to get back together and play a mmo like we used to.. But this game almost feels like a solo game. One of my friends has been playing for a very long time on the Xbox one.
By the way we play on the PS4 so maybe the computer is different.



Edited, Jul 27th 2016 9:56am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#5 Jul 27 2016 at 8:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I'm still playing XI and have been for quite some time. Despite announcing the suspension of service for consoles, this development team accelerated the update schedule. It also seems as they're splitting time between adding/adjusting content as well as making the game more PC conscious.

I know they've said that they were done with expansions, but the amount of juice this game can squeeze from shifting to PC almost makes it seem like they're shifting to XI Remastered. I know that it's been said that they would not be continuing to make expansions, but we all know how SE has been when it comes to their track record. Level uncapping, mount system, tons more storage space... ect.

I just play the game I enjoy the most at this point. Since my time is a bit more limited these days it feels like doing one thing takes away from the other. XIV feels more like it takes away from what I could be doing in XI than the other way around. If I had more time then I'd probably play both games(among others). XI would probably still get more time since there's so much more of the game I want to experience.

Copper coins.


How is the populations after they dropped the consoles?

what do you mean level uncapping?

We came back to FFXI for about 3 months before they dropped the console.

We have been keeping up reading the updates since they dropped the consoles.
It has surprised me how much they keep adding. Even added some Adoulin missions.
We saw they added the new mount system which is something Tesee would like. She really likes collecting things.

She likes FFXIV way more than I did. She like it because it was easier and didn't suck up our lives like FFXI did. She liked collecting minions and doing things like the site seeing logs etc. That said she still does not shy away from challenge, she is farther along in extreme primals than me. But she hates the whole armor upgrade just like me, It is ridiculous. She like really likes FFXIV crafting and so did I. She never did any crafting in FFXI and she played for a long time.

For FFXI though I do not think at this point it would suck up all our time anymore because there really is no rush. I know more content is coming out than anyone expected and it seems like quality content but it aint so much you feel like you have to be on everyday to stay caught up.

I will tell you going back to FFXI you feel how old it is sometimes. They could update the auction house, crafting, menu and controls. If crafting were better in FFXI I think it would be a no brainier. Crafting for the most part now seems worthless.

I also hate the I level system, it makes it feel like stats no longer matter like in FFXIV. Still the game feels more fun than FFXIV.

I think I would feel better if they dropped the price some. I also hate having to buy another PC when we bought two PS4 for FFXIV.
Tesee does not want to drop FFXIV completely because if we ever go back she does not want to loose her house. So paying for 2 games stinks.

Sometimes we feel we should just stick with FFXIV even though we do not care much for end game and the progression system. Sometimes we feel like buying a pc to go back to FFXI because there is allot we want to finish. I know the 3 months we went back to FFXI we had more fun playing than the whole end game of FFXIV.

Tesee loves the monster raising and if there was a reason to she could do that all day..

I want to get my lu shang's fishing rod. This is the kind of stuff they need to add to ffxiv.

No gill sellers when we went back either.

Sometimes it is just the feeling of nostalgia pulling us to FFXI too. When you actually play it you realize it aint the same old FFXI and it has changed for the better and for the worse. Almost all our friends are gone too and i think that is the hardest part. Allot of the stuff we liked to do is dead and allot of the areas we liked.

We thought maybe I should go back for a month and find us a good LS and just see what it is like. That was the odd thing we went back for 3 months and not one LS invite. Seems everyone is pretty happy with what they have. I ran into a old friend and he was going to get us into his ls but he disappeared. Odd since he played FFXI that long and almost every day and was buying a pc to play on once the console dropped. I am guessing something happened in real life. I thought it would be the opposite when going back, people would have less to do so they would be looking to help people out. We did not try to hard to find a LS either because we were only there to finish the last set of missions till console dropped.

Seems most people were just standing around not doing much. Almost felt like these people have been playing the game so long that they know nothing else so they log on everyday even if they do nothing, maybe just to talk to friends. Sometimes it feels like they are afraid to move on.

I know the feeling of play that game so long and to me sometimes it does feel like a hole was left when leaving it. FFXIV should have filled it but it did not.
We hate tv and stay up pretty late so after 7 or 8 we do not have much to do so it is video games for us. When we are not playing it is pretty boring especially in the winter when there is not much to do..

I know this post is all over the place but it is random feelings about both games. it helps me decide if I should stay with FFXIV or buy a new PC for Tesee to play FFXI. not a easy decision for us.


Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?







Edited, Jul 27th 2016 11:06am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 27th 2016 11:10am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 27th 2016 11:16am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 27th 2016 1:22pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#6 Jul 27 2016 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
******
49,198 posts
Nashred wrote:
Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?
Probably anything you could find at a pawn shop. Most computers are too powerful to run it at this point without additional software and setting tweaking.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Jul 27 2016 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?


I could probably run it on my phone if I wanted to.

Seriously any PC with a halfway decent video card should have no issues running FFXI. The more powerful the PC is, the more you can squeeze out of the game with registry tweaks. I'm running it at 60 fps (which does interesting things to some animations actually...) with a nice drawdistance that's about 10x what the game maxes out at. For a 14-year old game it actually looks pretty decent.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#8 Jul 27 2016 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?
Probably anything you could find at a pawn shop. Most computers are too powerful to run it at this point without additional software and setting tweaking.


We really do not have pawn shops here. Odd I know but I just wanted to get rid of some high end stereo equipment and there was non. I did not want to deal with Craig's list.

Anyway most cheap PC's can run FFXI but they come with newer versions of windows which stinks and can barely run windows. Almost prefer a laptop too.

I run it on a Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook PC - i7- 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8730M, 17.3" Display, Windows 8 64-bit.
It does not feel that great on this laptop which at the time was not slouch. With windows 10 it feel slooooooooooooow.

When I walk through areas with lots of people it takes along time for them to pop in sometimes.







Edited, Jul 27th 2016 12:04pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#9 Jul 27 2016 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
Nashred wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I'm still playing XI and have been for quite some time. Despite announcing the suspension of service for consoles, this development team accelerated the update schedule. It also seems as they're splitting time between adding/adjusting content as well as making the game more PC conscious.

I know they've said that they were done with expansions, but the amount of juice this game can squeeze from shifting to PC almost makes it seem like they're shifting to XI Remastered. I know that it's been said that they would not be continuing to make expansions, but we all know how SE has been when it comes to their track record. Level uncapping, mount system, tons more storage space... ect.

I just play the game I enjoy the most at this point. Since my time is a bit more limited these days it feels like doing one thing takes away from the other. XIV feels more like it takes away from what I could be doing in XI than the other way around. If I had more time then I'd probably play both games(among others). XI would probably still get more time since there's so much more of the game I want to experience.

Copper coins.


How is the populations after they dropped the consoles?

what do you mean level uncapping?

We came back to FFXI for about 3 months before they dropped the console.

We have been keeping up reading the updates since they dropped the consoles.
It has surprised me how much they keep adding. Even added some Adoulin missions.
We saw they added the new mount system which is something Tesee would like. She really likes collecting things.

She likes FFXIV way more than I did. She like it because it was easier and didn't suck up our lives like FFXI did. She liked collecting minions and doing things like the site seeing logs etc. That said she still does not shy away from challenge, she is farther along in extreme primals than me. But she hates the whole armor upgrade just like me, It is ridiculous. She like really likes FFXIV crafting and so did I. She never did any crafting in FFXI and she played for a long time.

For FFXI though I do not think at this point it would suck up all our time anymore because there really is no rush. I know more content is coming out than anyone expected and it seems like quality content but it aint so much you feel like you have to be on everyday to stay caught up.

I will tell you going back to FFXI you feel how old it is sometimes. They could update the auction house, crafting, menu and controls. If crafting were better in FFXI I think it would be a no brainier. Crafting for the most part now seems worthless.

I also hate the I level system, it makes it feel like stats no longer matter like in FFXIV. Still the game feels more fun than FFXIV.

I think I would feel better if they dropped the price some. I also hate having to buy another PC when we bought two PS4 for FFXIV.
Tesee does not want to drop FFXIV completely because if we ever go back she does not want to loose her house. So paying for 2 games stinks.

Sometimes we feel we should just stick with FFXIV even though we do not care much for end game and the progression system. Sometimes we feel like buying a pc to go back to FFXI because there is allot we want to finish. I know the 3 months we went back to FFXI we had more fun playing than the whole end game of FFXIV.

Tesee loves the monster raising and if there was a reason to she could do that all day..

I want to get my lu shang's fishing rod. This is the kind of stuff they need to add to ffxiv.

No gill sellers when we went back either.

Sometimes it is just the feeling of nostalgia pulling us to FFXI too. When you actually play it you realize it aint the same old FFXI and it has changed for the better and for the worse. Almost all our friends are gone too and i think that is the hardest part. Allot of the stuff we liked to do is dead and allot of the areas we liked.

We thought maybe I should go back for a month and find us a good LS and just see what it is like. That was the odd thing we went back for 3 months and not one LS invite. Seems everyone is pretty happy with what they have. I ran into a old friend and he was going to get us into his ls but he disappeared. Odd since he played FFXI that long and almost every day and was buying a pc to play on once the console dropped. I am guessing something happened in real life. I thought it would be the opposite when going back, people would have less to do so they would be looking to help people out. We did not try to hard to find a LS either because we were only there to finish the last set of missions till console dropped.

Seems most people were just standing around not doing much. Almost felt like these people have been playing the game so long that they know nothing else so they log on everyday even if they do nothing, maybe just to talk to friends. Sometimes it feels like they are afraid to move on.

I know the feeling of play that game so long and to me sometimes it does feel like a hole was left when leaving it. FFXIV should have filled it but it did not.
We hate tv and stay up pretty late so after 7 or 8 we do not have much to do so it is video games for us. When we are not playing it is pretty boring especially in the winter when there is not much to do..

I know this post is all over the place but it is random feelings about both games. it helps me decide if I should stay with FFXIV or buy a new PC for Tesee to play FFXI. not a easy decision for us.


Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?

Sounds like you are where I was 8 or so years after playing XI. Will always be the best mmo I ever played but I had to make some concessions.

Do I want to continue playing even though the prime is behind and gone. And it will never look as good as more recent games because they won't update things.

Or do I want to search for another game updated with modern settings even if it might not ever match my enjoyment from XI pound for pound?

I must have tried 20-30 mmos searching for this answer. For now, ESO is filling that gap enough, but Pantheon will probably be my baby if things pan out.

I suggest playing where both of you have the most fun. You will both be happier from it. If that is one mmo like XI that is great. It doesn't have to be one mmo anymore though.

You could probably play XI on any low spec PC now costing as much or cheaper than a console.
#10 Jul 27 2016 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
sandpark wrote:
Nashred wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I'm still playing XI and have been for quite some time. Despite announcing the suspension of service for consoles, this development team accelerated the update schedule. It also seems as they're splitting time between adding/adjusting content as well as making the game more PC conscious.

I know they've said that they were done with expansions, but the amount of juice this game can squeeze from shifting to PC almost makes it seem like they're shifting to XI Remastered. I know that it's been said that they would not be continuing to make expansions, but we all know how SE has been when it comes to their track record. Level uncapping, mount system, tons more storage space... ect.

I just play the game I enjoy the most at this point. Since my time is a bit more limited these days it feels like doing one thing takes away from the other. XIV feels more like it takes away from what I could be doing in XI than the other way around. If I had more time then I'd probably play both games(among others). XI would probably still get more time since there's so much more of the game I want to experience.

Copper coins.


How is the populations after they dropped the consoles?

what do you mean level uncapping?

We came back to FFXI for about 3 months before they dropped the console.

We have been keeping up reading the updates since they dropped the consoles.
It has surprised me how much they keep adding. Even added some Adoulin missions.
We saw they added the new mount system which is something Tesee would like. She really likes collecting things.

She likes FFXIV way more than I did. She like it because it was easier and didn't suck up our lives like FFXI did. She liked collecting minions and doing things like the site seeing logs etc. That said she still does not shy away from challenge, she is farther along in extreme primals than me. But she hates the whole armor upgrade just like me, It is ridiculous. She like really likes FFXIV crafting and so did I. She never did any crafting in FFXI and she played for a long time.

For FFXI though I do not think at this point it would suck up all our time anymore because there really is no rush. I know more content is coming out than anyone expected and it seems like quality content but it aint so much you feel like you have to be on everyday to stay caught up.

I will tell you going back to FFXI you feel how old it is sometimes. They could update the auction house, crafting, menu and controls. If crafting were better in FFXI I think it would be a no brainier. Crafting for the most part now seems worthless.

I also hate the I level system, it makes it feel like stats no longer matter like in FFXIV. Still the game feels more fun than FFXIV.

I think I would feel better if they dropped the price some. I also hate having to buy another PC when we bought two PS4 for FFXIV.
Tesee does not want to drop FFXIV completely because if we ever go back she does not want to loose her house. So paying for 2 games stinks.

Sometimes we feel we should just stick with FFXIV even though we do not care much for end game and the progression system. Sometimes we feel like buying a pc to go back to FFXI because there is allot we want to finish. I know the 3 months we went back to FFXI we had more fun playing than the whole end game of FFXIV.

Tesee loves the monster raising and if there was a reason to she could do that all day..

I want to get my lu shang's fishing rod. This is the kind of stuff they need to add to ffxiv.

No gill sellers when we went back either.

Sometimes it is just the feeling of nostalgia pulling us to FFXI too. When you actually play it you realize it aint the same old FFXI and it has changed for the better and for the worse. Almost all our friends are gone too and i think that is the hardest part. Allot of the stuff we liked to do is dead and allot of the areas we liked.

We thought maybe I should go back for a month and find us a good LS and just see what it is like. That was the odd thing we went back for 3 months and not one LS invite. Seems everyone is pretty happy with what they have. I ran into a old friend and he was going to get us into his ls but he disappeared. Odd since he played FFXI that long and almost every day and was buying a pc to play on once the console dropped. I am guessing something happened in real life. I thought it would be the opposite when going back, people would have less to do so they would be looking to help people out. We did not try to hard to find a LS either because we were only there to finish the last set of missions till console dropped.

Seems most people were just standing around not doing much. Almost felt like these people have been playing the game so long that they know nothing else so they log on everyday even if they do nothing, maybe just to talk to friends. Sometimes it feels like they are afraid to move on.

I know the feeling of play that game so long and to me sometimes it does feel like a hole was left when leaving it. FFXIV should have filled it but it did not.
We hate tv and stay up pretty late so after 7 or 8 we do not have much to do so it is video games for us. When we are not playing it is pretty boring especially in the winter when there is not much to do..

I know this post is all over the place but it is random feelings about both games. it helps me decide if I should stay with FFXIV or buy a new PC for Tesee to play FFXI. not a easy decision for us.


Anyone know of a decent low priced pc that can easily handle FFXI?

Sounds like you are where I was 8 or so years after playing XI. Will always be the best mmo I ever played but I had to make some concessions.

Do I want to continue playing even though the prime is behind and gone. And it will never look as good as more recent games because they won't update things.

Or do I want to search for another game updated with modern settings even if it might not ever match my enjoyment from XI pound for pound?

I must have tried 20-30 mmos searching for this answer. For now, ESO is filling that gap enough, but Pantheon will probably be my baby if things pan out.

I suggest playing where both of you have the most fun. You will both be happier from it. If that is one mmo like XI that is great. It doesn't have to be one mmo anymore though.

You could probably play XI on any low spec PC now costing as much or cheaper than a console.


Yea pretty much...

You know on thing about ESO even if the the story is hollow the missions actually require you to do some cool things. You do not feel like a errand boy all the times like in FFXIV. You sometimes have to figure stuff out (puzzle like) which is cool. The story is what SE does best and cut scenes.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#11 Jul 27 2016 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Nashred wrote:
How is the populations after they dropped the consoles?

what do you mean level uncapping?

The population has seemed steady over the past few years to me. I only base that on how many players I've played with consistently over the past few years. Only 2 people I know have left(1 disappeared and the other had a kid) and we've added a handful of players who returned.

As far as level uncapping, SE said for ages that the level cap would remain at 75. I was just saying that they've gone back on things they said would never happen. I would imagine that if players started transitioning to a PC only version of XI, they might consider adding to it in the future.

hat's why I never understood the point of making a second MMO. By nature, these types of games are improved on and added to over time. Just didn't make sense to me to split the workforce to bring customers two similar products. In a market where most consumers make a single choice, it makes no sense to compete against yourself. Instead of creating the option of another game to play, they should have focused on more options of how to play a single game.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Jul 27 2016 at 4:23 PM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
hat's why I never understood the point of making a second MMO. By nature, these types of games are improved on and added to over time. Just didn't make sense to me to split the workforce to bring customers two similar products.


If they were similar products you'd have a point there. FFXI and FFXIV are very different games.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#13 Jul 27 2016 at 5:09 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
[quote]If they were similar products you'd have a point there. FFXI and FFXIV are very different games.


There are a lot of differences between the two games when you look at specifics (one battle system vs the other, ect.), but essentially you are doing the same thing. Leveling up, experiencing story content and overcoming various challenges to improve your character while having fun.

A Benz is not an Accord, but they both act as a mode of transportation. Yes there are things that don't work the same way in each game, but the underlying point of each is the same. Bringing players an experience that entertains them enough that they subscribe and continue to enjoy them.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#14 Jul 27 2016 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
There are a lot of differences between the two games when you look at specifics (one battle system vs the other, ect.), but essentially you are doing the same thing. Leveling up, experiencing story content and overcoming various challenges to improve your character while having fun.


You have just described every rpg, and even a few things that only act like rpgs.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#15 Jul 27 2016 at 10:50 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
You have just described every rpg, and even a few things that only act like rpgs.

The bottom line is that both games compete with each other for your time(and possibly money). In my case specifically, I simply don't have enough time to spend playing that justifies two subscriptions. There was a point where all I could afford was a single subscription. These days, I can't afford the time to play more than one.

Do you really disagree that these games are in competition with each other?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#16 Jul 28 2016 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
I don't disagree that they compete with each other just because they're both MMOs. I do disagree that the overlap between the two audiences is big enough to matter.

They're just so different from each other. They're going to attract very different audiences, and while there will certainly be SOME overlap of people that would play both games if they reasonably could, I don't think this group is large enough that it would've been smarter to just not make FFXIV at all.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#17 Jul 28 2016 at 8:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Well that is where I am at, I do not want to pay for two games. Tesee does not want to loose her house in case we come come back to FFXIV, well technically we have not left. Plus have to buy a PC to play FFXI. We are trying to save for something so money is a little tight.

Plus if we keep giving SE money for FFXIV they will never change the game. The one thing that will never change is the armor upgrade system and it is something I will have to learn to live with if we decide to stay or play it in the future. I was pretty excited to read about deep dungeon but a friend said forget it. He said it is the same as everything else just not done in a dungeon and instead done on floors.

I really do not want to get into a thread that debates the two games. I was wondering how everyone else is doing and what they are playing and let people know I am still alive..

I was wondering if there is a reason to play FFXIV, FFXI or maybe something else. I know more people in this forum than others so I thought I could get some good advice on what to do at least for a while. Plus we are looking for people to play with if we go to FFXI. Maybe a ls or a server.

Tesee seems to prefer staying on FFXIV but then we get to FFXI she does not want to put the game down. When we play FFXIV she ready to get off after a while plus she sees how the game frustrates me and how little I really want to get on the game. . I just do not want her to not go to FFXI because she does not want to spend the money on a PC. It is one of those situations if you are bored you end up going out more which is more expensive.

I think Tesee is like me with FFXI she loves the game but now there are just some flaws she can not get over. With FFXIV I see the potential but it has some huge flaws I just can not get over. One thing she hates about FFXI and loves about FFXIV is the fact it easy to find your away around especially for missions. FFXI every mission you need a wiki to figure 1/2 the stuff out.

I will say this playing ESO and FFXI again for a while does make me appreciate some of the stuff in FFXIV more than I did. But nothing can change the fact that when I play FFXIV I feel like all I am doing is the same thing over and over again.

You know they try to take stuff from FFXI like deep dungeon which I am guessing is like Nyzul isle but don not make any changes to game play.


Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#18 Jul 28 2016 at 8:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
hat's why I never understood the point of making a second MMO. By nature, these types of games are improved on and added to over time. Just didn't make sense to me to split the workforce to bring customers two similar products.


If they were similar products you'd have a point there. FFXI and FFXIV are very different games.


Remember: The sole reason XIV was even created was because they (Wada) thought it was a wiser idea to turn an "overhaul" into a new game. They were initially going to revamp XI around Wings of the Goddess but made the decision to make a new MMO instead.

So while it's a wise decision, Wada didn't give the team time they needed.

Nashred wrote:
You know they try to take stuff from FFXI like deep dungeon which I am guessing is like Nyzul isle but don not make any changes to game play.


Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred


This is the biggest headscratcher though. Yoshi is pretty clear he doesn't want XIV to be like XI in any way, but clearly takes some concepts...then what I can only assume is purposefully butcher it. Like with Deep Dungeon, the only logical reason to not allow us to choose floors is because people would spam 41-50 and oversaturate the Tier V materia market. I mean, I ended up with well over 30 sherds in my runs to get my weapons, thats 30 extra Tier V from 1 person. Throw in the fact there's many others like me who blew through the content and if you put it all on the MB, the market is bottomed out. It's not a big deal usually, but Yoshi has been put on record numerous times saying some decisions are made purely because of the economy.

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 7:57am by Theonehio
____________________________

#19 Jul 28 2016 at 9:03 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,995 posts
I coulda told you ESO was bad... thats why it couldnt retain a subscription anytime a game has to go from pay to play to b2p or f2p theres a reason and that reason usually isnt good (go ahead someone name games that would prove my statement wrong). ESO story sucked, it did PVP right and it had ALL te ingredienst to make a good mmo.... an open world that matterd (unlike xiv where 99% of the stuff worth doing ins instanced.. why even have n open world?), non instnaced dungeons... reaon to explore, aggro that coul kill you etc etc... the just forgot to make it FUN. It was like FFXI with ESO skin but with ALL the fun removed.
#20 Jul 28 2016 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
Remember: The sole reason XIV was even created was because they (Wada) thought it was a wiser idea to turn an "overhaul" into a new game. They were initially going to revamp XI around Wings of the Goddess but made the decision to make a new MMO instead.

So while it's a wise decision, Wada didn't give the team time they needed.


Which is why 1.0 ended up the way it did. But even FFXIV 1.0 was pretty different from FFXI. Since 2.0, they are radically different games.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#21 Jul 28 2016 at 10:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
Nashred wrote:
Well that is where I am at, I do not want to pay for two games. Tesee does not want to loose her house in case we come come back to FFXIV, well technically we have not left. Plus have to buy a PC to play FFXI. We are trying to save for something so money is a little tight.

Plus if we keep giving SE money for FFXIV they will never change the game. The one thing that will never change is the armor upgrade system and it is something I will have to learn to live with if we decide to stay or play it in the future. I was pretty excited to read about deep dungeon but a friend said forget it. He said it is the same as everything else just not done in a dungeon and instead done on floors.

I really do not want to get into a thread that debates the two games. I was wondering how everyone else is doing and what they are playing and let people know I am still alive..

I was wondering if there is a reason to play FFXIV, FFXI or maybe something else. I know more people in this forum than others so I thought I could get some good advice on what to do at least for a while. Plus we are looking for people to play with if we go to FFXI. Maybe a ls or a server.

Tesee seems to prefer staying on FFXIV but then we get to FFXI she does not want to put the game down. When we play FFXIV she ready to get off after a while plus she sees how the game frustrates me and how little I really want to get on the game. . I just do not want her to not go to FFXI because she does not want to spend the money on a PC. It is one of those situations if you are bored you end up going out more which is more expensive.

I think Tesee is like me with FFXI she loves the game but now there are just some flaws she can not get over. With FFXIV I see the potential but it has some huge flaws I just can not get over. One thing she hates about FFXI and loves about FFXIV is the fact it easy to find your away around especially for missions. FFXI every mission you need a wiki to figure 1/2 the stuff out.

I will say this playing ESO and FFXI again for a while does make me appreciate some of the stuff in FFXIV more than I did. But nothing can change the fact that when I play FFXIV I feel like all I am doing is the same thing over and over again.

You know they try to take stuff from FFXI like deep dungeon which I am guessing is like Nyzul isle but don not make any changes to game play.


Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

I am not making a judgement just an assumption.

I think Tessee seems to like modern conveniences associated with modern mmos and likes customization. These types of games are the majority now, they do trade depth for those conveniences. Less depth equals less reason to play for long durations hence why she gets tired after short play sessions.

I think you seems to like conveniences, but long for depth which has you feeling a discontent when playing a game that doesn't offer that.

I think the bigger picture is she most likely will have fun regardless of which game you play. As long as you are fully content and are having fun. Emotions are contagious. She might still have her own negative views of certain features in a game. But I don't think a woman's stance is as black or white as a man's, more shades of grey.

Is it really only her that can't put down FFXI? Or do you feel that in yourself as well. Your joy brings her joy and her joy brings you joy, contagious.

#22 Jul 28 2016 at 11:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
sandpark wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Well that is where I am at, I do not want to pay for two games. Tesee does not want to loose her house in case we come come back to FFXIV, well technically we have not left. Plus have to buy a PC to play FFXI. We are trying to save for something so money is a little tight.

Plus if we keep giving SE money for FFXIV they will never change the game. The one thing that will never change is the armor upgrade system and it is something I will have to learn to live with if we decide to stay or play it in the future. I was pretty excited to read about deep dungeon but a friend said forget it. He said it is the same as everything else just not done in a dungeon and instead done on floors.

I really do not want to get into a thread that debates the two games. I was wondering how everyone else is doing and what they are playing and let people know I am still alive..

I was wondering if there is a reason to play FFXIV, FFXI or maybe something else. I know more people in this forum than others so I thought I could get some good advice on what to do at least for a while. Plus we are looking for people to play with if we go to FFXI. Maybe a ls or a server.

Tesee seems to prefer staying on FFXIV but then we get to FFXI she does not want to put the game down. When we play FFXIV she ready to get off after a while plus she sees how the game frustrates me and how little I really want to get on the game. . I just do not want her to not go to FFXI because she does not want to spend the money on a PC. It is one of those situations if you are bored you end up going out more which is more expensive.

I think Tesee is like me with FFXI she loves the game but now there are just some flaws she can not get over. With FFXIV I see the potential but it has some huge flaws I just can not get over. One thing she hates about FFXI and loves about FFXIV is the fact it easy to find your away around especially for missions. FFXI every mission you need a wiki to figure 1/2 the stuff out.

I will say this playing ESO and FFXI again for a while does make me appreciate some of the stuff in FFXIV more than I did. But nothing can change the fact that when I play FFXIV I feel like all I am doing is the same thing over and over again.

You know they try to take stuff from FFXI like deep dungeon which I am guessing is like Nyzul isle but don not make any changes to game play.


Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 10:20am by Nashred

I am not making a judgement just an assumption.

I think Tessee seems to like modern conveniences associated with modern mmos and likes customization. These types of games are the majority now, they do trade depth for those conveniences. Less depth equals less reason to play for long durations hence why she gets tired after short play sessions.

I think you seems to like conveniences, but long for depth which has you feeling a discontent when playing a game that doesn't offer that.

I think the bigger picture is she most likely will have fun regardless of which game you play. As long as you are fully content and are having fun. Emotions are contagious. She might still have her own negative views of certain features in a game. But I don't think a woman's stance is as black or white as a man's, more shades of grey.

Is it really only her that can't put down FFXI? Or do you feel that in yourself as well. Your joy brings her joy and her joy brings you joy, contagious.




Na it is cool and you probably are right.

She is the one that is hard to get off the game or games.. She plays allot more than me and she is far better geared than me in both games.


With FFXI is hard to get her off of it because like she says in FFXI there is always that last thing you need to do. Yo know turn this in or turn that in.
She micro manages in FFXI. She is always looking at the AH for that piece of gear that gives that one better stat. looking to sell stuff and if it sells more to a npc etc. Spends hours on macros.
She loves that monster raising too.. She is always checking on her stuff.


With FFXIV she likes how nice things you wear look, she really enjoys crafting but hates it in FFXI.

The thing she hates is missions in FFXI, she hates following people and she has too because someone always has to have the wiki open to figure out what to do next or where to go.. Missions in FFXI never make any sense. It is kind of like how on the earth did anyone figure out to go here from what the NPC said. I think if they added a system that told you where you needed to go like in FFXIV her whole outlook on the game would change.

The thing is she hates the same things from FFXIV I do but she could just have fun crafting and gathering and playing with her house or collecting minions.

It is weird because I think she like how easy it is to keep up in FFXIV but misses things like the black-belt and complains nothing feels like a accomplishment in FFXIV. She was MNK in FFXI and was geared to the hilt when we left, She had faith torque and black belt.


For her it comes down to this paragraph:
She loves the combat, strategy, the feeling of accomplishment and gearing and that there are multiple ways to gear and always a upgrade path for all types of gear far better in FFXI but:
She just hates using the wiki for everything in FFXI and how everything needs to be looked up. Every mission, everything you want to craft etc and she just hates computers. If FFXI had a mission thing like stated above, crafting books for recipes etc. there would be no contest, FFXI would win... This makes it easier to play FFXIV by herself and get stuff done when I am gone. she can craft all our gear for spirtbinding while I am gone, she can collect materials so we are ready to craft when I get home.

I think you are right she will be happy no matter what, she just wants us to pick a game.






Edited, Jul 28th 2016 2:47pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#23 Jul 28 2016 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Theonehio wrote:

Remember: The sole reason XIV was even created was because they (Wada) thought it was a wiser idea to turn an "overhaul" into a new game. They were initially going to revamp XI around Wings of the Goddess but made the decision to make a new MMO instead.


Wait what, I never knew this??? :( :( :( :( :(
#24 Jul 28 2016 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Belcrono wrote:
Theonehio wrote:

Remember: The sole reason XIV was even created was because they (Wada) thought it was a wiser idea to turn an "overhaul" into a new game. They were initially going to revamp XI around Wings of the Goddess but made the decision to make a new MMO instead.


Wait what, I never knew this??? :( :( :( :( :(


Tanaka and Wada talked about it when announced the Abyssea content (in the "What's happening with XI while FFXIV is being launched), I don't remember if they ever mentioned it in the FFXIV "making" video that came with 1.0 but it was in a few interviews when people asked about a FFXI offline as well, they said the amount of work doesn't justify the end so a new project was born out of the idea of revamping XI, the only remnant of that project is the UI of it they were working on for a few years that never left the test server and I think the last we seen of it was just before ARR launched.. So once 2.x launched there for sure was no need to ever do a "FFXI HD"..until Nexon picked it up that is.

____________________________

#25 Jul 28 2016 at 7:24 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
They're just so different from each other. They're going to attract very different audiences, and while there will certainly be SOME overlap of people that would play both games if they reasonably could, I don't think this group is large enough that it would've been smarter to just not make FFXIV at all.


You have to put my statement into the context of what was happening almost a decade ago. XI was well on it's way to becoming the highest grossing FF title to date when it was announced that they were going to start development on XIV. Nobody in the gaming industry or any other for that matter will tell you that was a sound decision.

XIV was announced as a completely different game than what it's become since it's 'reboot'. That game had players excited that it might be a sequel. You'll also remember that it was a time where SE didn't talk to the player base. All you got was a crudely translated message that was already cryptic with a "please look forward to it" on top.

The only excuse that makes any sense at all to me would be PS2 limitations. That didn't come about until just recently when SE dropped support for consoles and it's evolving as we see how XI is updated from this point. I only say this because console players were a slight majority during XI's better days.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Jul 28 2016 at 7:52 PM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
You have to put my statement into the context of what was happening almost a decade ago.


Ok... they were still pretty different. With the exception of the races being identical because laziness, they were VERY different games even back in the caveman times of 2006.

And then a whole lot of ignoring their players later, 2.0 comes out and is even more different.

Even if FFXIV wasn't necessarily a good idea at the time (I don't concede that), it's certainly a good idea NOW with major FFXI development stopped. If anything it shows they took a bad idea and turned it into an advantage.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#27 Jul 28 2016 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
You have to put my statement into the context of what was happening almost a decade ago.


Ok... they were still pretty different. With the exception of the races being identical because laziness, they were VERY different games even back in the caveman times of 2006.

And then a whole lot of ignoring their players later, 2.0 comes out and is even more different.

Even if FFXIV wasn't necessarily a good idea at the time (I don't concede that), it's certainly a good idea NOW with major FFXI development stopped. If anything it shows they took a bad idea and turned it into an advantage.


Just a few things...

As stated, XIV was originally intended to be the next gen FFXI that PS2 couldn't support. The reason I note 'PS2 limitations' as a valid excuse.

Also, the fact that XIV borrowed so heavily from games already on the market kinda ***** on the argument that it was a good idea in it's current state. The one thing that most players could agree on was that we wanted something different. We didn't want another XI, we didn't want an FF flavored WoW... we wanted XIV to be different.

The unfortunate irony is that XIV turned out different because it's so much trying to be everything else...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#28 Jul 28 2016 at 8:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
As stated, XIV was originally intended to be the next gen FFXI that PS2 couldn't support.


That may have been the intention but it wasn't what happened. At no point would anyone playing XIV 1.0 have reasonably said "yeah, this is pretty much FFXI but more up to date." That would have been a ridiculous statement.

Quote:
Also, the fact that XIV borrowed so heavily from games already on the market kinda ***** on the argument that it was a good idea in it's current state.


Which XIV are you talking about here? 1.0 or 2.0? 1.0 borrowed only from Tanaka's fevered brain. Part of the reason it was such a colossal failure at launch was because it seemed to go out of its way to not follow any market standards because it wanted to be arbitrarily different in random and meaningless ways that contributed nothing positive to the game.

Quote:
We didn't want another XI, we didn't want an FF flavored WoW...


Speak for yourself. That was exactly what I wanted. Actually I remember having that conversation with a friend of mine at the time, that what we really wanted XIV to be was WoW but in FF form. We were both big fans of FFXI (and had been playing it for years) but we'd found WoW to just be more fun to play. An FF-styled WoW was exactly what we wanted.

Quote:
The unfortunate irony is that XIV turned out different because it's so much trying to be everything else...


I'm not sure what this means.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#29 Jul 28 2016 at 10:17 PM Rating: Good
****
4,169 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
We didn't want another XI, we didn't want an FF flavored WoW...


Speak for yourself. That was exactly what I wanted. Actually I remember having that conversation with a friend of mine at the time, that what we really wanted XIV to be was WoW but in FF form.

You were likely in the minority. When XIV was announced the knee jerk reaction was 'am I gonna be able to migrate all my data from XI into XIV'. As someone who worked his *** off for a slice of that relic pie, you can imagine that I wasn't at all excited about trying to start over just for the sake of more inventory space and shiny spell effects.

Nothing does WoW as well as WoW does, much less better than they do it. There's a reason why there isn't a WoW 2. It mainly has to do with already dominating the market. A caveat is that expanding and improving was never an issue because there was no console locking you into place.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
The unfortunate irony is that XIV turned out different because it's so much trying to be everything else...
I'm not sure what this means.

XIV set out to be the same(or at least very similar) as XI and ended up being different mostly because it was the same as everything that set XI apart from those games. Many of those things were reasons why XI was a preferred game for some players.

Also, it was more than just a preference. It was almost taboo to utter those 3 letters in an XI or XIV forum(see signature). This was at a point where I was lobbying for more of the basic systems that made WoW and other games more user friendly(UI, auto sorting, better options for gear swaps, more inventory... ect.).

It's a questionable decision to make the same game with better graphics and ask players to subscribe to both games. It's flat out nutty to put out a mediocre copy of other games that are already out and expect a better result. Just my opinion.




____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#30 Jul 28 2016 at 10:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Phone double post!

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 9:55pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#31 Jul 28 2016 at 10:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
When XIV was announced the knee jerk reaction was 'am I gonna be able to migrate all my data from XI into XIV'.


And I think you were in the minority there.

I still have fun with XI, and it still offers a very different experience than XIV, but that's both good and bad. Take Ambuscade, for example. It's not really new and exciting content. And dear lord are the fights long and boring. But it's cool to have goals to grind for, and XI will always occupy that special place in my gaming heart, no matter how dated it gets.

Oddly, FFXI has more meaningful content still for solo players and groups of different sizes, while XIV is still stuck on eight-man content that highly favors statics. That is really holding XIV back.

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 9:57pm by Thayos

Edited, Jul 28th 2016 9:58pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#32 Jul 29 2016 at 4:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,134 posts
To this day, I still feel some people grossly underestimate just what an XI 2.0 would've meant in terms of cost and effort. I can ultimately see the decision to go for a different game entirely being based on the fact having a bunch of people already max level/pimped out wouldn't have made the most inviting experience for newcomers, as well as essentially making early content meaningless despite all that would've had to go into converting. Thus, the high end would've gotten bored more quickly while the fresh meat would just feel alienated and maybe not quite grasp the developed culture.

On the graphics end, the simplest tweak XI could hope for nowadays would be higher resolution textures. However, that would come at the cost of increased HD space and XI is already a pretty meaty install. Doing any more than that would require additional polygons being added to models, and with that all the mesh linking needed to make things run smooth. This would pretty much mean writing all cut-scenes from scratch, as you'd have data bits present the game wouldn't know what to do with then. New lighting/shadow engines also carry their own challenges, with environment design needing further (re)testing to make sure people can't fall through areas or get to places they aren't meant to, especially if jumping's involved.

So, to me, a new game seems like a no-brainer. I think the really head scratcher, however, is that SE basically decided to compete against themselves with another MMO while offering no real synergy between the products like a (permanent) joint monthly fee or even the reduction of XI's cost despite its present minimalist development. I'll be forever inclined to say both games have issues despite my sustained belief that no MMO justifies a monthly fee anymore, but that doesn't mean either is unplayable or automatically better than the other. XI's ilvl system doesn't confuse me at all, as an example, and I'd certainly take the game's current incarnation over 75 cap CoP era, or what the private scene seems to infer to as XI's golden age despite the sheer impossibility of replicating that experience with populations 90% or more smaller at peak times than that of the time.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#33 Jul 29 2016 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
39 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
As stated, XIV was originally intended to be the next gen FFXI that PS2 couldn't support.


That may have been the intention but it wasn't what happened. At no point would anyone playing XIV 1.0 have reasonably said "yeah, this is pretty much FFXI but more up to date." That would have been a ridiculous statement.

Quote:
Also, the fact that XIV borrowed so heavily from games already on the market kinda ***** on the argument that it was a good idea in it's current state.


Which XIV are you talking about here? 1.0 or 2.0? 1.0 borrowed only from Tanaka's fevered brain. Part of the reason it was such a colossal failure at launch was because it seemed to go out of its way to not follow any market standards because it wanted to be arbitrarily different in random and meaningless ways that contributed nothing positive to the game.

Quote:
We didn't want another XI, we didn't want an FF flavored WoW...


Speak for yourself. That was exactly what I wanted. Actually I remember having that conversation with a friend of mine at the time, that what we really wanted XIV to be was WoW but in FF form. We were both big fans of FFXI (and had been playing it for years) but we'd found WoW to just be more fun to play. An FF-styled WoW was exactly what we wanted.

Quote:
The unfortunate irony is that XIV turned out different because it's so much trying to be everything else...


I'm not sure what this means.


I don't know if it was simply because I didn't play the at-launch 1.0 (I picked it up on the final build, the 1.23 under Yoshi about 4 months before Dalamud fell), but by then it really actually DID feel very much like a sequel to XI to me. Sure there were some differences like using partial TP for weapon skills and the like but the vibe and the combat felt a great deal like it was set out to be like XI but updated. Just my view of it though.
#34 Jul 29 2016 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Thayos wrote:
That is really holding XIV back.

I still think it's players holding themselves back. If SE suddenly dropped more difficult raids to 5 players instead of 8 you'd still have people showing up late, calling in sick or getting frustrated and quitting.

You also have to consider that there are only so many tanks in the world of Eorzea to go around. If you lower the group requirement numbers, you artificially inflate demand for tanks. All I played in XIV was a tank and I'll still tell you that's a bad thing. You already start at a tank deficit so this would make it worse.

I dunno. Perhaps the population of XIV has dwindled down to a point where lower requirements are necessary. I'm not making a judgement here because I really can't say, but that would be about the only reason for it. That's the reason why XI is so 'lowman friendly' anyway.

Seriha wrote:
To this day, I still feel some people grossly underestimate just what an XI 2.0 would've meant in terms of cost and effort. I can ultimately see the decision to go for a different game entirely being based on the fact having a bunch of people already max level/pimped out wouldn't have made the most inviting experience for newcomers


I don't think it would have cost that much more to be honest. I'd say it would definitely cost less in hindsight considering they had to develop XIV 3 times before it took.

As far as being daunting for new players, probably not any more daunting than ARR. They just gave new players the choice to roll on a new or old servers. Wouldn't have been much different for XI. Actually, considering the damage that the great inflation had already done, it probably woulnd't have mattered much at all from an economic standpoint.

As ro aesthetic, I think XI uses higher resolution textures that are scaled down(similar to the changes between 1.0 and ARR graphics). If they unlocked high resolution textures, unlocked frame rate and even spent just a few years tweaking and adding background and ambience, they could easily bring the game's looks up to at least 2010 standard. You'd still be able to run the game well on a cheap PC too.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#35 Jul 29 2016 at 10:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I still think it's players holding themselves back. If SE suddenly dropped more difficult raids to 5 players instead of 8 you'd still have people showing up late, calling in sick or getting frustrated and quitting.


No, it's not about that at all.

I logged into XI the other night, and two of my old friends who still play were running Ambuscade. I immediately jumped in with them and we pumped out several runs. It didn't matter that their gear was much better (essentially making them higher level) or that I hadn't played in awhile, or that a third person was going to join their two-person endeavor. The content in XI is flexible enough for players to randomly jump in without needing to know a song-and-dance routine in order for the group to succeed. People who don't play often can easily jump in with people who play all the time.

This is what XIV needs more of. It needs less rigid content that allows players to just play the **** game without having to memorize all kinds of dance routines.

Quote:
(The dwindling population is) the reason why XI is so 'lowman friendly' anyway.


This is half true. The game became much more lowman friendly with the launch of Abyssea, back when the population was quite healthy. And even in XI's heyday, there were various events people could participate in (both large and small groups) without any need for statics.

The Trust system took lowmanning content to entirely new levels. However, XIV has a large enough playerbase that no trust system would be needed. SE just needs to create content that people can do with greater flexibility.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#36 Jul 30 2016 at 1:44 AM Rating: Good
****
4,169 posts
Thayos wrote:
[quote]The content in XI is flexible enough for players to randomly jump in without needing to know a song-and-dance routine in order for the group to succeed. People who don't play often can easily jump in with people who play all the time.


Is the population in XIV not high enough? The reason why there are more lowman friendly events is because the population of XI is smaller. It doesn't have anything to do with our busy schedules or our unwillingness to find a static group.

I'm not arguing encounter mechanics because it doesn't have place here. That's a matter of personal preference. It's not actually a problem unless the players who are willing to participate in it are unable to for reasons out of their control. I hate to say it Thayos, but we knew that's what we were going to get. It's fair to say that you are disappointed by the lack of alternate content(I was too which is why I don't play anymore), but again we knew what kind of team Yoshi is working with.

Thayos wrote:
This is half true. The game became much more lowman friendly with the launch of Abyssea, back when the population was quite healthy. And even in XI's heyday, there were various events people could participate in (both large and small groups) without any need for statics.

Aside from a few times I've gone back for random things to gearswap, the vast majority of my time in Abyssea was spent in an alliance, sometimes one of several. Abyssea eventually became lowman content, but it didn't start out that way at all.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. The draw of MMOs for me since the beginning was the social aspect. Meeting new people and teaming up for large scale battles. Anything from running through Ordelles with a bunch of lowbies, kiting droves of orcs around the outpost in garrisons, mashing skulls in events like Dynamis, Besieged and Einherjar...

It's almost as if players want a single player experience in an online game. They don't want to voice chat. They don't want large scale encounters. I mean... the trust system is great and all, but I'm beyond the need to level so I rarely use it. Most of the time there are folks in LS who are more than happy to team up because, well it used to be the point.

Edited, Jul 30th 2016 3:48am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#37 Jul 30 2016 at 8:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I still think it's players holding themselves back. If SE suddenly dropped more difficult raids to 5 players instead of 8 you'd still have people showing up late, calling in sick or getting frustrated and quitting.


No, it's not about that at all.

I logged into XI the other night, and two of my old friends who still play were running Ambuscade. I immediately jumped in with them and we pumped out several runs. It didn't matter that their gear was much better (essentially making them higher level)


Actually, this does matter for Ambuscade. You mentioned some fights are "long and boring" and that's likely because your gear isn't as good as it could be or you're missing a lot of JP including the ability to equip Superior 1 & 2 gear. I get what you were saying in context but in current XI, this actually does matter most, but since you're with friend(s) they're not strict about it lol.

In actuality, it is the players holding this game back that Yoshi listens to more than anything. It's not a "good or bad thing", it's just, clearly when the dude outright says he won't change the formula and caused quite a lot of people to quit over the statement, I promise you someone will say:

"Well the game isn't for them"

or

"They were end-game/hardcore players"

Meaning people will easily blame the players when they don't like something about XIV and complain or quit, but not when the game stagnates because they may like the way it is and find things peachy.

Quote:
This is half true. The game became much more lowman friendly with the launch of Abyssea, back when the population was quite healthy. And even in XI's heyday, there were various events people could participate in (both large and small groups) without any need for statics.


While true, in XI's prime even during Abyssea/Voidwatch days, you more than likely had/were in/tried to join a linkshell dedicated specifically to events. There were pick ups for content (which is true with JP servers now on XIV) but they also usually had higher standards, ala "VW PIL looking for XYZ123 MUST HAVE RME90+" etc. So XIV does need "less rigid content" but it also needs more relevant progression content that isn't just "here you go" difficulty for groups.

In all honesty, I think the biggest problem is the extreme different cultures between JP and NA/EU, because on one side, you have people thinking you only need statics and the DF is designed to act like a mindless idiot in and on the other side, Statics are optional and the DF is only used when you actually know what you're doing so you don't waste people's time. (I mean do you know how the Japanese society is? They have even "less" time which is why their prime time is extremely late but is also why they tend to play the most efficiently.)

It wouldn't be so bad if yoshi didn't say "We won't change XIV's formula because it would be too big of a risk."

Didn't stop them from dropping content in patches, splitting up content because it would "overwhelm us" and quite frankly not care about the design because they know they'll have more than enough people happy to shell out money for nothing. I mean, the moogle mount on Mog station is $30.

People couldn't toss money at them any faster.

I think my biggest gripe is because they moved XIV to an "instanced base progression system" and not utilize it. It takes so little work to make instanced content in comparison to an MMO like XI where they have to take into consideration zone memory to do anything.



Edited, Jul 30th 2016 7:21am by Theonehio
____________________________

#38 Jul 30 2016 at 9:28 AM Rating: Excellent
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Is the population in XIV not high enough? The reason why there are more lowman friendly events is because the population of XI is smaller. It doesn't have anything to do with our busy schedules or our unwillingness to find a static group.


The population is fine, but also irrelevant.

FFXI had lowman-friendly content even before Abyssea. It has always been in the game. You could farm sky pops with six to 12 people. You could grab a few friends and do BCNM fights (even if those friends had never set foot in those fights). You could find a random group for assaults, again without fear of a first-timer dooming the entire effort. Or, you could be part of a larger linkshell and just come and go as you're able to.

Have an endgame linkshell that starts farming sky an hour before you get off work? Doesn't mean you get shut out of that content; just means you show up late. There's almost guaranteed to be room in one of the alliance parties, and it doesn't matter whether 12 or 24 people are there (or more, if you form a second alliance). And yes, even Abyssea had lowman groups at the very beginning -- it just became more popular later on.

FFXI has always had content that's friendly for both lowman groups and larger groups of variable sizes. That content gave us actual reasons to form groups.

FFXIV doesn't have that, and it's holding the game back. We have a robust FC system that encourages people to join groups of large and small sizes -- but then very little for those groups to actually do. And that's despite the fact that the new XIV was clearly redesigned more for casual players than hardcore players. It's a huge disconnect that I've questioned since the launch of ARR.

Hio wrote:
Actually, this does matter for Ambuscade. You mentioned some fights are "long and boring" and that's likely because your gear isn't as good as it could be or you're missing a lot of JP including the ability to equip Superior 1 & 2 gear. I get what you were saying in context but in current XI, this actually does matter most, but since you're with friend(s) they're not strict about it lol.


That's my point though. FFXI still beats XIV by having content that friends can jump into together with variably sized groups and still make real progress while also being challenged (if you want the greater risk/reward). FFXIV still doesn't have anything like that. It's what the game is missing more than anything.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#39 Jul 30 2016 at 10:08 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Indeed, that's why I enjoyed duoing content and NMs (even during Abyssea's prime) with my girlfriend because you normally had at least a group of 6 or an alliance normally taking it out. Yeah it takes awhile and due to lack of jobs (in Abyssea/VW) the drops may not always be worth it, but the fact you can actually do it is what I loved most about XI's setup.
____________________________

#40 Jul 30 2016 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,097 posts
The Japanese attitude towards the game sounds awesome and much more in line with how I play these days. I'd transfer but I don't feel like communicating with emotes 99% of the time.
#41 Jul 30 2016 at 12:04 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
The Japanese attitude towards the game sounds awesome and much more in line with how I play these days. I'd transfer but I don't feel like communicating with emotes 99% of the time.


It's a lot more structured in my experience lol. Kind of like you tend to have tanks on NA side no move because no one wants to MT or because you have 2 WAR and a DRK and of course the 2 WARs dont want to tank so you end up having a healer or DPS pull the boss to get things going and the tanks still don't get off their **** etc.

So while it's not perfect on the JP servers, when you play on both...you REALLY notice the difference.
____________________________

#42 Jul 30 2016 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,134 posts
Quote:
It's almost as if players want a single player experience in an online game.

Here's my take. I don't mind partying up for stuff. What I do mind is when the inability to find a party (that works) translates to not being able to get anything done. When this happens enough over enough play sessions, the appeal to play begins to drop in favor of other games where entertainment is better guaranteed. And I know I'm not alone in this philosophy.

MMOs really need to take a second look at the party scene. If people are preferring solo play, they need to ask why. Accessibility? Pacing? Not getting yelled at by elitist ********* There's more to the equation, sure, but the whole model of just putting better loot at the other end of the stick is only proving to build frustration and resentment. The moment partying makes things harder instead of easier, and I'm not just talking about bulkier targets, something's going terribly wrong.
Quote:
They don't want to voice chat.

I don't. And the reasons why have been spoken on by myself numerous times here in the past. And it's not just an anti-social thing.
Quote:
They don't want large scale encounters

What you're seeing more of is people not wanting the hassle of setting up for said encounters. Zone Events in Rift pretty much taught me that dozens of people can come together for a singular cause without ever actually having to party up. The only requirement to participate was that you had to literally be online and in the zone to play. No, none of these encounters were the scripted song and dance you'd see of raids, but they didn't need to be for people to enjoy themselves. Was there room for making things more difficult? Absolutely, but it also needs to be done intelligently.
Quote:
I mean... the trust system is great and all, but I'm beyond the need to level so I rarely use it. Most of the time there are folks in LS who are more than happy to team up because, well it used to be the point.

We'll just kinda revisit my 3 rules of doing content:
1) Do it for personal progress.
2) Do it for the progress of friends.
3) Do it to kill time.

Again, they're not mutually exclusive, but everyone's going to have a varying point of disinterest per piece of content. Your shellmates helping you out doesn't exactly mean the game then/now was better. They could've simply been striving to escape boredom. Trusts have uses beyond leveling, as well. In fact, I'd argue they save dragging people into some of the more mundane objectives people might've had to slog through in XI where rewards were minimal, if not non-existent.

Really, it just goes back to partying having issues some aren't willing to acknowledge.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#43 Jul 30 2016 at 7:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
The problem is players, not partying. Even in what you described:

Quote:
What you're seeing more of is people not wanting the hassle of setting up for said encounters


^ Nothing to do with Partying.

Quote:
Zone Events in Rift pretty much taught me that dozens of people can come together for a singular cause without ever actually having to party up.


As per programming, you are partied up, which is why everyone gets rewarded. You may not get the pretty UI element of xyz being in your party but you're essentially in a zone wide party or else that style of content wouldn't function properly. Then comes the other side of the chipped coin, where you have "zone events/overworld encounters" where the loot and any exp and so on will go towards whoever lands the killshot, thus also leading to MPKing and so on.

Quote:
I'd argue they save dragging people into some of the more mundane objectives people might've had to slog through in XI where rewards were minimal, if not non-existent.


It actually helps when there's no one available to help you. However due to their pathing being coordinate based like monsters, they're not going to be all too useful for certain encounters where the monster may power up based on people hit or an aura that will literally disable them from doing anything compared to an actual player knowing how to maneuver or recover from that kind of situation.

So yeah trusts do indeed have the issue, but it has nothing to do with the 'state of partying.'
____________________________

#44 Jul 30 2016 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
***
3,617 posts
Quote:
The problem is players, not partying.


I would suggest that the players can never be the problem when it comes to how they're interacting with content. A game's players will do what they do. It's up to the devs to react to that. People not liking a particular kind of content? Why? You don't blame the players for playing the game just because they're not playing the game the way you think they should.

If the data show players don't want to participate in a particular kind of content, it's incumbent on the devs or the community team to figure out why that is. Maybe the rewards aren't good enough for the time or effort involved... maybe putting together a party of a particular size or managing that party is too difficult or frustrating for some reason... maybe your players really just want to erp all over your favorite towns and don't really care about the content at all. No matter what it is, it isn't the players' fault for playing the game.

Quote:
Then comes the other side of the chipped coin, where you have "zone events/overworld encounters" where the loot and any exp and so on will go towards whoever lands the killshot, thus also leading to MPKing and so on.


Are you still talking about Rift here? Because I don't remember Rift's zone events working like that. You racked up contribution similar to the way XIV handles FATEs (albeit not quite as obviously) and were rewarded at the end of the rift/invasion/zone event based on that contribution. I could easily be remembering wrong here, it's been a long time since I played Rift, but I have no memory of killing blows being a thing or MPKing being a popular pastime.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#45 Jul 30 2016 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
****
4,169 posts
Thayos wrote:
FFXI has always had content that's friendly for both lowman groups and larger groups of variable sizes. That content gave us actual reasons to form groups.

XI had those many of those things because it was designed knowing that people couldn't race to 75. Abyssea wasn't really a playground until later in the life cycle of the content. If you were killing things while they were still new then you weren't doing it lowman. Sure people were farming the lesser NMs, but people weren't doing that for higher tier NMs out of the box.

Seriha wrote:
Quote:
They don't want to voice chat.
I don't. And the reasons why have been spoken on by myself numerous times here in the past. And it's not just an anti-social thing.

It's more an ease of use thing than an anti-social thing. Honestly it doesn't really matter why you or anyone else prefers not to use it. It's your choice, just realize that this choice removes a lot of what facilitates raiding. Being prepared, making sure everyone is on the same page and being able to quickly communicate if something doesn't go according to plan. Because there are many players who do use it, encounters are developed with it in mind.

I never considered logging into voice chat or posting a RSVP on a group's website to be a hassle. In all but 1 of the endgame groups I've been in, voice chat was a requirement. What bothers me the most about not using it is that you're likely not the leader of your group... why not just login and listen? Though it was mandatory to login for all but 1 of my endgame groups across various MMOs, it was never a requirement to speak unless you were raid lead.

I think what XIV can't capture that XI had going for it was community. It was much easier for me to find players like myself who were trying to create a group. I think we'd probably both be surprised by the number of players who have no idea where the entrance to an instance was in XIV simply because they'd never done anything outside of queue up. It really wasn't any different in WoW until players started using map mods.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#46 Jul 31 2016 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,134 posts
Stuff like not knowing where entrances are is more the consequence of open world trivialization. Why go to some corner of a map if a quest marker never takes you there? We can't have long spawn HNMs for obvious reasons, but at the same time, basic mobs are pretty much guaranteed to never drop anything special. Really, some of the trends that have developed over time need to be let go. I know they may play parts in the grand scheme of how one may perceive what an MMO is or isn't, but some doors have simply been opened that can never be closed again.

If we're at the point where a game can only be deemed good if like 1 out of 10 people actually like it, and the reason the other 9 don't is because of some disparaging jargon, I'd say that speaks more of the 1 than the 9. Overall, gaming is a more acceptable hobby nowadays, which brings with it the reality the age range is far wider than the likely (college) student base of a decade ago. Yes, you still have some people who will play a given title 18+ hours a day. You're also gonna have some who can only play 1-2 hours a week. The former might not care so much about long queue times or the occasional failure, but the latter is more likely to be pickier in their own way, especially with a monthly fee involved. And it's not really a secret that I don't want these games to treat everyone who's not in the former category as second class citizens with lesser goals to chase and an overall smaller content pool. The expected repetition of MMOs is exactly what makes this a **** sandwich for a lot of players. Forget beating something once and being proud. You've gotta beat it dozens of times, if not more, before you can even dream of thinking you're done with "important" content. And it's exactly that kind of repetition and monotony that has bred so many bad behaviors over time that devs had to react to. Some successfully, some not so much.

But in the end, the 9 aren't intrinsically asking for games the 1 can't enjoy, themselves. Odds are its the prejudices of those 1s that are leaving them disgruntled. There's more than one way to play together, after all. Devs just haven't quite embraced that philosophy in earnest yet. Or maybe they've forgotten how to. It's hard to say.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#47 Jul 31 2016 at 10:37 AM Rating: Excellent
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Abyssea wasn't really a playground until later in the life cycle of the content. If you were killing things while they were still new then you weren't doing it lowman. Sure people were farming the lesser NMs, but people weren't doing that for higher tier NMs out of the box.


And this is exactly the kind of content FFXIV needs more of. We need more inclusive content that both small and large groups can enjoy, where people don't need to worry about finding statics for hours upon hours of practice just to get to the point of having a shot at an RNG drop.

Just as important as lowman content is the need for large-scale content where the same principles hold true to groups of larger sizes. Sky, sea, dynamis and einherjar are all examples of XI content where first-timers could jump right in and contribute, and groups didn't have to be ultra-specific sizes.

The lack of this kind of content in XI is holding the game back.

Seriha wrote:
If we're at the point where a game can only be deemed good if like 1 out of 10 people actually like it, and the reason the other 9 don't is because of some disparaging jargon, I'd say that speaks more of the 1 than the 9. Overall, gaming is a more acceptable hobby nowadays, which brings with it the reality the age range is far wider than the likely (college) student base of a decade ago. Yes, you still have some people who will play a given title 18+ hours a day. You're also gonna have some who can only play 1-2 hours a week.


Yes, great point about gaming being more of an acceptable hobby nowadays. And the implications from aging are obvious. Back in 2004, the average MMORPG gamer was approximately 26 years old, according to studies at the time -- but that has likely changed significantly since then.

This year, a report by the Entertainment Software Association revealed this: "The average age of someone who plays games (not specifying MMOs, but I'm sure the correlation is close) is 31 years old. In fact, more gamers are over the age of 36 than between the ages of 18 to 35 or under the age of 18. They are also mostly men, but by a slimming margin. Men make up 52 percent. From 2012 to 2013, the number of women gamers over the age of 50 grew by 32 percent."

This is exactly why the lack of more inclusive content is holding FFXIV back.

Life after 30 is just tremendously different than life before 30. And while some 30+ adults haven't changed their priorities (which is totally fine), adults whose priorities do change over time can't (and shouldn't) be blamed. For many, playing video games just isn't as important as getting enough sleep, taking more time to cook healthy meals, going on runs, hitting the gym, doing contract work, hanging out with friends, making time for family, cleaning the house, working in the yard, etc. Even an adult who doesn't have barrels of other obligations may simply realize that spending so much time in a virtual world isn't exactly healthy.

And beyond the age of 35, there are more adults like me than there are adults who want to live in their games.

Don't blame game developers for designing games with those adults in mind. FFXIV was mostly designed exactly for that crowd. In the leadup to ARR, Yoshi-P talked extensively about how the game was redesigned for busier gamers who could enjoy the game in their pockets of free time. For the most part, he accomplished that goal -- right up until endgame, and then he fell a bit short.



Edited, Jul 31st 2016 9:59am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#48 Aug 01 2016 at 3:42 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
It is funny how these threads always turn into the exact same discussion every single time. Pretty sure we all "know" each others opinions well enough that we could write each others posts instead of our own at this point lol.

Anyway, I am curious Thayos what do you consider endgame in XIV? You say Yoshi managed to make a game for people who don't play a lot up until endgame, but personally I am not sure what you mean when you say endgame. Is it all the things you do at max level, or is it specific things at max level or something else?
#49 Aug 01 2016 at 6:54 AM Rating: Excellent
I consider end game to be progression oriented content that requires a measure of work and cooperation. I don't consider quick grind dungeons or face roll raids to be endgame.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#50 Aug 01 2016 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,134 posts
I'd simplify more to progression you undertake once EXP no longer matters. Merit systems a slight exception, depending on grind factor. Though I've always felt "endgame" is a misnomer in MMOs.

Edited, Aug 1st 2016 10:00am by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#51 Aug 01 2016 at 8:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,097 posts
60 dungeons/raids pretty much

You're right about it being a misnomer in MMOs, and in XIV especially. Endgame implies the very highest, or the very final thing you could do, which would be Savage. But I see that more like.. Bonus endgame in this case. Kinda like the Dark Aeons or Ruby WEAPON.
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 78 All times are in CDT
Lyrailis, squiress, Anonymous Guests (76)