Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

How has it been going?Follow

#102 Aug 09 2016 at 2:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Yeah that's not Free to play, that's actually "Freemium". F2P is rarely locking things behind a paywall beyond "cheating" the system. For example you can run 10 dungeons a day but can pay $4 to recharge your "stamina" to do the dungeons again and so on. (Rare example since most F2P games have no limits like that these days.)

____________________________

#103 Aug 09 2016 at 7:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Avoid F2P MMOs like the plague. The only one I return to a few times a year is SWTOR, just cause I have an attachment to it and KOTOR in general. It's model and what the devs pay attention to these days is pure trash though.
#104 Aug 09 2016 at 3:48 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Not all F2P games are the devil. There are many models that don't funnel you toward a toll or some way to extract money. I also think that devs are realizing that you can give players most of your game for free and enough people will appreciate that to support it with funding.

I honestly feel like you'd do just as well or better giving away your game and asking for donations to develop future content than you would just selling each expansion. Since SE (in their own words) don't have to rely on investors and answer to shareholders, it would have made sense to me if XIV were F2P. Especially now considering you have to pay for things like retainers, mounts and minions, ect.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#105 Aug 09 2016 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Belcrono wrote:
It is funny how these threads always turn into the exact same discussion every single time. Pretty sure we all "know" each others opinions well enough that we could write each others posts instead of our own at this point lol.


We should make it a forum game - provided all of us can stay in good enough humor to do so I'd think it'd be rather fun.

I'm inching my way back into a stable enough RL to be playing FFXIV more, and enjoying the catch-up mechanics. Balancing this with Destiny again helps keep me from burning out at any one particular thing. And as I've no desire to be 'current' rather than be 'passable' at any one of these, the weight of the hamster wheel on any one of these is much lifted.


Also, the definition of Endgame seems to be highly subjective among people. Some people in FFXI believe endgame to only be ilvl145+ content, where as many, including myself, believe it to be the wider span of events that can or cannot lead to the highest tier of difficulty.

FFXIV feels much the same sometimes in that respect. To me, the entirety of the ilvl grind past the character leveling point is endgame. It's what happens after the story ends.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more interested in Raiding if they mixed something like Deep Dungeon with the difficulty level and boss encounters of Alexander Story or just a tad harder. I feel like they both have what the other is missing in terms of things I desire. But I've got no motivation to try to do the Savage Raids. It just doesn't do it for me, the choreography is too drawn out. The fights are obscenely punishing, because they're obscenely predictable, and vice versa. I'd like a more forgivable, more randomized fight. As well as more actual exploration being done.

Also like the progression system in Deep Dungeon more. It somehow makes sense to me and fits with the 'raid gear is for raiding' argument I hear a lot. Well, if it's for raid gear, why not keep it there? And when you're done you get to take out the nice shiny glamour. The idea of independent progression really rubs me the right way.
#106 Aug 09 2016 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I'd like a more forgivable, more randomized fight.


Yes, and this approach also lends itself much better to more diverse itemization. Because there's no such thing as +10 to dodging.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#107 Aug 09 2016 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Hyrist wrote:
Well, if it's for raid gear, why not keep it there? And when you're done you get to take out the nice shiny glamour. The idea of independent progression really rubs me the right way.


Largely because with Deep Dungeon for example, stats has no purpose in there and ilvl235 isn't really much in the grand scheme of things at this point in time raid wise. (that extra little boost in stats over a lore weapon will do nothing unless your lore weapon was trash lol.) But since it came at a time when a lot of people had nothing left to do since they staggered deep dungeon, it's definitely a good system for that purpose since it helps people level in the mean time.

Quote:
Also, the definition of Endgame seems to be highly subjective among people.


It's kind of subjective and kind of not, it depends on your personal interpretation. Per game design, end-game (especially in both FF MMOs) is content that happens at max level that's progression based. Every 50/60 trial/primal (HM/Extreme)/coil/savage is end-game content since at one point in time they were part of your progression and they were 1 step to the next before they absolutely destroyed that setup (Tomestone/CT/Primals worked together with gearing you for Coil and Coil was the ultimate goal for gear rather than everything being weird alternates of each other.)

So it really depends, since end-game in terms of MMOs have always been a set definition of content you do beyond the basics once you're at max level and tend to be event related. These days where MMOs are less structured and honestly not really caring about the game design much (let's be honest) the definition is blurred. Your example of XIs ilvl145+ content is true, because that's the only end-game for players who've been playing awhile. Someone ilvl119 with full JP and Superior 2 gear will not be spamming Sky or Sea for example in 2016's FFXI, though you COULD argue doing the high tier versions of Ark Angels, Avatars, Escha Sky, Vagary and the Dragons as some of it is still used heavily for catching up, but most of XI's 75 era end-game content is dust in the wind, you only really do it for nostalgia sake or if working on an RME.

So as I've always said, XIV's biggest weakness, is they don't care much about current players and rather focusing on potential players or players who cycle in and out which leads to the weird content imbalance we do got, which is fine but I don't think they'd get a 2x success following the same pattern as 2.x > 3.x like he hopes for 4.x (his whole "we won't change the formula" at E3.) This is why they need to go back to Coil being the standard, Savage being the alternate and Alliance based content/primals not being absolutely "optional" content since they tend to come at a time in 3.x where everyone's had ample time to get Eso gear (all you need if you're not doing savage) and Lore gear (you'll get this regardless.) That's why everyone liked Thordan/Sephirot/Nidhogg for progression because it was a halfstep that actually benefited everyone that actually bothered to learn it/spam it.

Honestly, that's why I said when they announced the "Story Mode/Savage Mode" I said it would be a waste, since the "Savage" mode is the version that comes first then they create the Story Mode around it. Instead, they should just go back to Coil difficulty and have it work as both Story and "difficult" content. I know most people here only have played on NA servers so they have the "must have static" ingrained into their minds, but honestly, you've heard very little if at all any complaints about being rewarded gear and story for their hard work (in a Final Fantasy game at that...) compared to the people who complained about wanting to experience the story without going through the content basically.

That's why everyone was cheering on Midas (Savage) being far better design, aside A6S, it was a lot closer to coil but still fairly ridiculous.


____________________________

#108 Aug 09 2016 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
Largely because with Deep Dungeon for example, stats has no purpose in there and ilvl235 isn't really much in the grand scheme of things at this point in time raid wise. (that extra little boost in stats over a lore weapon will do nothing unless your lore weapon was trash lol.)


Well it's also a lot easier to get than a Lore weapon. It doesn't really have to be better. It's nice if it is, but it's not necessary for the reward to be worthwhile.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#109 Aug 16 2016 at 1:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Well we are done with ESO we just hate it and the costly FTP system. One of the thing that also frustrates up with FFXIV is the hybrid system. Anything in the store should be available in the game. Anyhow we are cancelling all out retainers and my account, We are keep Tesee main account in case we want to comeback and she does not loose her house. We plan on coming back every few months since most patches can be done in a couple days..


I picked up a lap top for Tesee for FFXI.

We wanted to get rid of the PS4's and use laptop for FFXIV and FFXI but the update locks up on FFXIV all the time and I cant get FFXIV installed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, removed the update directories.

____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#110 Aug 16 2016 at 2:04 PM Rating: Excellent
The i235 is highly valuable for my content static. A couple of members didn't yet have i230+ weapons, so this made an easier path for them to upgrade.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#111 Aug 17 2016 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Tried to install FFXIV update on the laptop again last night, got about 75 percent and failed again.

Edited, Aug 17th 2016 9:52am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#112 Aug 17 2016 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Nashred wrote:
Tried to install FFXIV update on the laptop again last night, got about 75 percent and failed again.

Edited, Aug 17th 2016 9:52am by Nashred


Are you getting some kind of error message? Or is your laptop just kind of getting bored halfway through the install?

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting garbage like running the launcher in administrator mode and disabling any anti-virus you may have running?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#113 Aug 17 2016 at 12:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Tried to install FFXIV update on the laptop again last night, got about 75 percent and failed again.

Edited, Aug 17th 2016 9:52am by Nashred


Are you getting some kind of error message? Or is your laptop just kind of getting bored halfway through the install?

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting garbage like running the launcher in administrator mode and disabling any anti-virus you may have running?


I am getting a error. I can not remember the error, it's something like Unable to download patch files. Then when I hit ok it completely exists the game.


I have deleted and reinstalled. I removed the two directories for updates. I turned off all sleep items like monitor hard drive.
I disabled antivirus and firewall. It is so random, last night it almost made it. Works fine on my other laptop... I have tried wired and wireless.




Edited, Aug 17th 2016 2:51pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#114 Aug 17 2016 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Small note. From my phone so bear with me.

The concept of value in ilvl gear is an illusion. The player base is andhas always been treading water with stats and enemy power creep. Making the concept of progression pretty much moot.

You could have a passive performance boost to all content of same and older patch be applied asa reward and achieve nearly the exact same end. So I don't really see how independent progression can be in any way harmful.
#115 Aug 17 2016 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
I am getting a error. I can not remember the error, it's something like Unable to download patch files. Then when I hit ok it completely exists the game.


I have deleted and reinstalled. I removed the two directories for updates. I turned off all sleep items like monitor hard drive.
I disabled antivirus and firewall. It is so random, last night it almost made it. Works fine on my other laptop... I have tried wired and wireless.


Sounds like your connection is dropping mid-download, even if only for a moment (it doesn't take much to send the FFXIV client into panic mode).

I wonder if there's a more forgiving way you could download the client data (something that doesn't just kill itself when it encounters the slightest inconvenience). Maybe a torrent?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#116 Aug 19 2016 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
I am getting a error. I can not remember the error, it's something like Unable to download patch files. Then when I hit ok it completely exists the game.


I have deleted and reinstalled. I removed the two directories for updates. I turned off all sleep items like monitor hard drive.
I disabled antivirus and firewall. It is so random, last night it almost made it. Works fine on my other laptop... I have tried wired and wireless.


Sounds like your connection is dropping mid-download, even if only for a moment (it doesn't take much to send the FFXIV client into panic mode).

I wonder if there's a more forgiving way you could download the client data (something that doesn't just kill itself when it encounters the slightest inconvenience). Maybe a torrent?


Client is installed, It is on the updates.

I am going to try at work... What is weird is the other laptop is fine never had a issue d/l updates.

Edited, Aug 19th 2016 1:49pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#117 Aug 25 2016 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Well been playing FFXI for a couple weeks now and we have no invite to a LS yet again..
The server is absolutely dead.
We are going to transfer to Asura it looks like.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#118 Jan 10 2017 at 11:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Hey guys and gals how has it been going? Been a while since I have been here.
Tesee and I actually have not played FFXI or FFXIV in a long time. It has been a very long time since FFXIV.
Tesee and I just bought a house in real life so that has been taking us away from gaming. the last moth or so.
Almost moved in and should be by the end of January so back to gaming some..
Our original plan was to quit FFXIV and go back to FFXI to finish up what we have not, not to interested in new content yet for FFXI and maybe by then FFXIV would actually have some new content that was actually new content, not just rehashed dungeons and raids... We would come back every 3 or 4 months to stay caught up in FFXIV just in-case we ever wanted to come back, Most patches take a few days to do, so subbing in for month here and there should keep us caught up. Got together with a old friend that we played FFXI with for a very long time and came over to FFXIV with us during beta. He told us till nothing new really for FFXIV.. I thought I would eventually miss FFXIV more but really only miss the crafting.

Actually at the point where I forgot where I left off in FFXIV. Going to be hard to figure out where that is now.

FFXI I am actually excited to get back too but nothing like in the old days. The game has changed too much from what it used to be. Really sometimes I am sad playing it.
I wish they would do something to reguvinate the old areas like campaign. Make it useful for the new levels. Just so sad to see the areas I had so much fun in dead.

Sad to see Zam so dead on both FFXI and FFXIV forums. Most of the people I knew are gone.

Anyone know if Catwho is still playing?

Edited, Jan 10th 2017 12:15pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#119 Jan 10 2017 at 12:36 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
So you're unhappy with FFXIV because they stick to their forumla. And you're unhappy with FFXI because they didn't stick to their formula.

I'm so confused. Is it possible that MMOs are simply not the kind of game you're looking for? There are a huge number of quality offline rpgs and other types of games. Just as a smattering of suggestions may I recommend:

- I Am Setsuna
- Stardew Valley
- Axiom Verge
- XCOM 2
- Rebel Galaxy

That should be a nice mix of genres to take a look at. There's bound to be something that appeals to you in there somewhere.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#120 Jan 10 2017 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Anyone know if Catwho is still playing?


She still plays! I see her posting in the OFs.

I'm also trying to finish FFXI. I'm in a populated LS on the Lakshmi server (fortunately, one of my old friends and long-ago ZAMers still plays), but yeah, my server is pretty much dead as well. I think all of them are, except for Asura -- and I don't care enough about XI's progression to justify paying for a move and attempting to build my reputation in an entirely new community.

I'm just chipping away at the story missions. Once I finish SoA, then I'll knock out the rest of Rhapsodies and that will be that. It sucks, because FFXI's use of "wait until the next game day" walls always nullifies my erratic chunks of lengthy playtime.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#121 Jan 10 2017 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
It sucks, because FFXI's use of "wait until the next game day" walls always nullifies my erratic chunks of lengthy playtime.


Used to be "wait until JP midnight." This is better than that as the next game day is max 1 hour away. I guess they couldn't just do away with the trigger entirely. Might be a limitation on their quest system, don't know.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#122 Jan 10 2017 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
The time gating wouldn't be so bad if I cared about grinding... I could just repeated Ambuscade or whatever it is people do nowadays while waiting for the timer. I just don't see the need to grind if the storyline is already finished. So now, when I do get to play XI, I'll just play until I hit a time gate and then switch to FFXIV.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#123 Jan 11 2017 at 12:26 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
SoA being gated to coalition progress felt way worse than JP midnight. Yeah, the supply runs are easy to do, but it basically translates to needing like a week or more of mission refreshes to unlock the next story tiers per break. Really something they should've included in the RoV KIs since it also affects one's ability to make GEO or RUN mythic. :(

Anyway, yeah, the most bare bones definition of endgame should be what one does once they hit level cap. Most MMOs inevitably break this down into tiers, with stuff like dungeons or solo friendly content being the pre-tier to raiding, which then goes on to demand people need months of T1 raid loot to access T2 (when released), repeat for T3 with T2, and so on. This is where catch up mechanisms become important, or eventually you hit the point where a level cap increase is the wiser move to just completely reset everything.

My usual gripe for the endgame is too often it "ends" for people in that solo-friendly/pre-tier phase, and when catch up items are implemented, you're still relatively weaker and the issues that keeps one out of raids still go unaddressed without the alternative content.

Right now, I'd argue XI is in a pretty bad gear tier phase where that mix of dead servers and lacking party making tools is making it impossible for newcomers/returnees to really get anywhere at an acceptable pace because most everyone else is at/near the top-end and has no purpose to backtrack. Delve is no longer done, and that should've technically led into Skirmish, which is kinda sorta cheesed with Yorcia if you have gil to burn, but then that should've enabled Zi'tah, and then Ru'aun, and finally Reisenjima stuff. Ambuscade gear falls somewhere between Yorcia and Ru'aun most of the time, but you've got the catch 22 of PUG runs only really wanting people in Reisen tier stuff for the spam you need to complete the +1 sets in some form of timely manner. Upgrading AF/Relic/Empy stuff is costly, and to minimal benefit compared to Skirmish stuff. Omen is probably relatively out of reach for the fresher players, too, even if it still "limited" to AF upgrades for the moment.

In most other MMOs, XI would be at the point where a cap increase would probably be a good idea, but that's simply not going to happen because maintenance mode or people getting uppity about older gear getting outclasses with potentially easier acquisition paths. Stuff like the Abyssea sets from the 75-80 increase stand out as an example of that behavior.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#124 Jan 11 2017 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know if Catwho is still playing?


She still plays! I see her posting in the OFs.

I'm also trying to finish FFXI. I'm in a populated LS on the Lakshmi server (fortunately, one of my old friends and long-ago ZAMers still plays), but yeah, my server is pretty much dead as well. I think all of them are, except for Asura -- and I don't care enough about XI's progression to justify paying for a move and attempting to build my reputation in an entirely new community.

I'm just chipping away at the story missions. Once I finish SoA, then I'll knock out the rest of Rhapsodies and that will be that. It sucks, because FFXI's use of "wait until the next game day" walls always nullifies my erratic chunks of lengthy playtime.


FFXI:
Yea we never completed Adoulin and we need the last fight for Rhapsodies, Got some A Moogle Kupo d'Etat to finsish, I think a few Treasures of Aht Urhgan for the last few summons.. Little suff like that I never finished.

I think we are going to change to Asura where there are more people. My server is too dead, there were a few people left I knew but now I never see them anymore ( I think they split when the consoles got dropped). Most left on our server seem to be mules and Japanese players. Allot of people I knew left when our server merged too.
I still talk to most of my old friends from FFXI and allot went too FFXIV for a bit but most do not play either game now. Weird how you make lasting friends in FFXI.

It is just hard to not see anyone. I like allot of the new content like riding different mounts, monster raising, Collecting trust but it really does not fill allot of time. Playing the game just to upgrade armor well than I should just play FFXIV. I think Tesee and I are still borderline hard core even though less hardcore than when we played FFXI back in the day. Neither game fills our time completely. We find we watch more TV and that is not us. Maybe we need to change servers for FFXIV too so there are a few people we know at least from Zam forums and just not take the game seriously and just play both till we finish completely FFXI and once we do just play FFXIV. FFXIV just was not fulfilling enough. FFXIV just feels like the old no brainier hack and slash games. Just needs something more than the same rotation and dodging. There just needs to be more to combat. I do not know maybe the MMO field has changed to much and it aint for us anymore. Just after so many years of filling our spare time with FFXI or FFXIV it feels strange.

Callinon wrote:
So you're unhappy with FFXIV because they stick to their forumla. And you're unhappy with FFXI because they didn't stick to their formula.
.


You know exactly what I mean. I love mmos and played FFXI for a very long time and anyone who still plays FFXI knows the game has changed the last year or so.



Edited, Jan 11th 2017 12:33pm by Nashred

Edited, Jan 11th 2017 12:35pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#125 Jan 11 2017 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
You know exactly what I mean. I love mmos and played FFXI for a very long time and anyone who still plays FFXI knows the game has changed the last year or so.


Honestly man, I've been trying to figure out what you mean when you say things for years now. That's why I keep pressing you on it, because I don't understand what you want. You want FFXIV to do "something new" but have no earthly idea of what that means, or at least nothing you're willing to put into words. At the same time you want FFXI to stop doing new things and focus on years-old content. I don't think my confusion is unreasonable here.

I know FFXI has changed. I played it back in caveman times too; I've also played it recently, the difference is astonishing. But what you seem to be asking for is for SE to do new things right up until they hit on something you like and then to keep doing that afterwards and stop doing new things. Is that about right?
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#126 Jan 11 2017 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
****
5,722 posts
Seriha wrote:
In most other MMOs, XI would be at the point where a cap increase would probably be a good idea, but that's simply not going to happen because maintenance mode or people getting uppity about older gear getting outclasses with potentially easier acquisition paths.

I understand the reluctance to change in FFXI. Gear took so long to get and the 75 cap lasted so many years that it's hard to even think about having to replace [item-that-took-2-years-to-get]. The very concept of having years of work instantly obsoleted is terrifying. It has to be done occasionally, but that doesn't make it any less scary.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#127 Jan 11 2017 at 12:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Callinon wrote:
Quote:
You know exactly what I mean. I love mmos and played FFXI for a very long time and anyone who still plays FFXI knows the game has changed the last year or so.


Honestly man, I've been trying to figure out what you mean when you say things for years now. That's why I keep pressing you on it, because I don't understand what you want. You want FFXIV to do "something new" but have no earthly idea of what that means, or at least nothing you're willing to put into words. At the same time you want FFXI to stop doing new things and focus on years-old content. I don't think my confusion is unreasonable here.

I know FFXI has changed. I played it back in caveman times too; I've also played it recently, the difference is astonishing. But what you seem to be asking for is for SE to do new things right up until they hit on something you like and then to keep doing that afterwards and stop doing new things. Is that about right?


I have said many times what I mean and what i am looking for..
You just have selective reading.

____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#128 Jan 11 2017 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
I have said many times what I mean and what i am looking for..
You just have selective reading.


Every time I asked you to elaborate your response was "something new"
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#129 Jan 11 2017 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Karlina wrote:
Seriha wrote:
In most other MMOs, XI would be at the point where a cap increase would probably be a good idea, but that's simply not going to happen because maintenance mode or people getting uppity about older gear getting outclasses with potentially easier acquisition paths.

I understand the reluctance to change in FFXI. Gear took so long to get and the 75 cap lasted so many years that it's hard to even think about having to replace [item-that-took-2-years-to-get]. The very concept of having years of work instantly obsoleted is terrifying. It has to be done occasionally, but that doesn't make it any less scary.



Even though I know it will not happen anymore but a cap increase would be good for the game.
Personally new i-level works about the same without actually leveling but I do not like i-level.

In FfXIV when they made the relic obsolete it felt horrible, all that work.
I like in FFXI where there is a upgrade path for most things to keep them relevant.

Something were stupid hard in FFXI but things do not need to be as stupid easy either. Why cant they be right in the middle. Balance is so lost in modern day MMO's

FFXI was for people who played mainly one game and actually had a decent amount of free time.
It is hard for a game to actually provide that much content that takes up that much time.
Just no more mmo's like that. You put in the time and things feel like a accomplishment, things are handed to you it does not feel as good.

Edited, Jan 11th 2017 1:53pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#130 Jan 11 2017 at 12:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Callinon wrote:
Quote:
I have said many times what I mean and what i am looking for..
You just have selective reading.


Every time I asked you to elaborate your response was "something new"


No I just do not answer you because I have said what I am looking for enough times.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#131 Jan 11 2017 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
No I just do not answer you because I have said what I am looking for enough times.


Something new?

Then help me out here please. Can you direct me to the post where you actually gave a straight answer? It's possible I just missed it or didn't recognize it for what it was.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#132 Jan 11 2017 at 2:10 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,722 posts
Nashred wrote:
Something were stupid hard in FFXI but things do not need to be as stupid easy either. Why cant they be right in the middle.

"Hard" is subjective. What's hard for one person may be easy for another. For people with bad gear, killing a high level mob is hard. For people with limited play time, anything that takes a long time is hard. For people without friends or a good FC, anything that requires a lot of people is hard, etc. There is no magical balance point that pleases everyone.

Nashred wrote:
Balance is so lost in modern day MMO's

What are you talking about? Most modern MMOs are more balanced now then ever. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced of course, but look at old school FFXI and modern day WoW/FFXIV/whatever and tell me what's more balanced.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#133 Jan 11 2017 at 4:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
If anything things are too balanced and homogenized in most new games now. The crazy imbalances in old school RPGs were fun.
#134 Jan 12 2017 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Karlina wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Something were stupid hard in FFXI but things do not need to be as stupid easy either. Why cant they be right in the middle.

"Hard" is subjective. What's hard for one person may be easy for another. For people with bad gear, killing a high level mob is hard. For people with limited play time, anything that takes a long time is hard. For people without friends or a good FC, anything that requires a lot of people is hard, etc. There is no magical balance point that pleases everyone.

Nashred wrote:
Balance is so lost in modern day MMO's

What are you talking about? Most modern MMOs are more balanced now then ever. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced of course, but look at old school FFXI and modern day WoW/FFXIV/whatever and tell me what's more balanced.



You know what I mean! FFXI was considered hard and FFXIV is considered easy, not individual person ability.. Matter of fact if you talk to people who do not play FFXIV allot consider FFXIV to be for people who prefer glamor to actual gameplay/combat. You would not believe some of the stuff people say about FFXIV. To me since I played it a while it is a little offensive plus i have not decided if I will never comeback.

By balance I am not talking job balance and I knew it would lead to this and should have made it clearer. What I mean is a game that is for all types of players: hardcore or non hardcore or those who prefer to solo mostly. That is hard to do in a game.

Edit
I myself prefer something just a little less changeling than FFXI was, I do not have as much time as I did then. FFXIV doesn't really have much of any and usually gets nerfed in no time. FFXI was hard on the newbie where FFXIV it is easy to pick up and catch up. When FFXIV launched I was looking for something a little closer to FFXI than FFXIV is. I wasn't looking for the same game ( I left FFXI for a reason) But something a little closer on challenge.


Also I did not start this thread to be another debate thread. I started it to see what people were up to and keep in touch. See if anything new is happening in the game.

If someone doesn't enjoy a game there is nothing anyone can say to change someones mind.



Edited, Jan 12th 2017 12:46pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#135 Jan 12 2017 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
You know what I mean! FFXI was considered hard and FFXIV is considered easy, not individual person ability..


The fact you keep having to tell people they know what you mean should tell you that perhaps you're not communicating your intentions clearly. That aside, "hard" and "easy" can mean a bazillion different things when it comes to games in general and MMOs in particular. I think that's what Karlina was trying to say up there. What's hard for someone may be easy for another. For instance in caveman-times-FFXI, leveling was "hard" because it took a long time; you had to devote hours at a sitting to making any meaningful progress on that front, and it could legitimately take over a year to reach level 75. By contrast FFXIV's leveling is "easy" because it's a guided process that takes a few weeks at most. But what kind of gameplay is that?

So FFXI's hard leveling has more to do with time commitment than anything else. If you can put enough time into it, you'll get there eventually because the actual gameplay is quite simple... stand around and auto attack something until it's time to push a button which only happens every couple of minutes or so. FFXIV's leveling a great deal more involved even though the time commitment aspect is significantly less, the gameplay involved is a lot more complex. So is FFXIV's leveling "hard" because you have to deal with fight mechanics and an ever-growing kit of abilities that eventually turn your combat into a kind of keyboard dance? It's subjective. It's all subjective.

Quote:
By balance I am not talking job balance and I knew it would lead to this and should have made it clearer. What I mean is a game that is for all types of players: hardcore or non hardcore or those who prefer to solo mostly. That is hard to do in a game.


God, that's nearly impossible to do in a game. Hardcore players consume content at a lightning pace, whereas casual players can take much much longer to consume their content. At the same time casual players can consume their content quickly and then just do it over and over again casually and be happy (or not). Making a game for all types of players is something developers have been trying to do forever and they've basically never done it. If that's the kind of balance you're looking for, good luck.. let us know if you find it because it's probably a unicorn in disguise.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#136 Jan 12 2017 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm just chipping away at the story missions. Once I finish SoA, then I'll knock out the rest of Rhapsodies and that will be that. It sucks, because FFXI's use of "wait until the next game day" walls always nullifies my erratic chunks of lengthy playtime.


Well definitely can tell you don't raid in this game, since XIV has much, much longer waits that breaks up the action. Just saying.

Callinon wrote:
Quote:
I have said many times what I mean and what i am looking for..
You just have selective reading.


Every time I asked you to elaborate your response was "something new"


Think a big part of this is, no matter what you say, unless it's in support for XIV, you'll get told off or told you're wrong/MMOs not for you/insert any other "gtfo the genre" response.

So while difficulty is indeed subjective especially when it comes to XIV where people consider dodging AoEs to be insanely difficult, some things aren't because when a designer specifically states they designed x to be easy, if you still find it hard, that means it's not a matter of content and more player skill. For the style of MMO XI was, there was "hard" and "easy content", but there were also multiple ways to tackle harder content, some even down to using very niche setups (unless you were crazy rich or in a crazy good HNMLS, one option was available to so few.)

Quote:
Most modern MMOs are more balanced now then ever. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced of course, but look at old school FFXI and modern day WoW/FFXIV/whatever and tell me what's more balanced.


Oldschool FFXI because joe blow Samurai won't be a powerhouse, nor will joe blow Paladin be an amazing tank. XI wasn't the pinnacle of balance, but you HAVE to work to get "overpowered", especially in the old school design, it's not like XIV where everyone can scrape by doing even less than the bare minimum in 90% of the content. If anything, Modern WoW and XIV for example are the worst examples of balance, because it's "balanced" in a way that nothing matters.

Like, realistically, XIV is designed that there's no goals that matter because the game is "Balanced" in that way. It's nice to have x, but it doesn't matter in the long run, which is why people want the raid setup to be changed, which Yoshida thankfully listened to and 4.x MAY actually be worthwhile in terms of reward structure.

Callinon wrote:
God, that's nearly impossible to do in a game. Hardcore players consume content at a lightning pace, whereas casual players can take much much longer to consume their content


Then comes the: "Who is a hardcore player and who is a casual player" since what seems to define "casual" is subjective based on argument. I'm a casual player as my playtime is extremely limited, but then I get told I'm not a casual player because I do the savage raids and ex primals in this game.

It's like..having the ability to clear content that requires knowing how to play makes you "hardcore." It takes less than an hour to learn an ex primal, especially if you're quick on the uptake. If you're not quick on learning content, it'll take you longer, doesn't make you any less or more casual either way. When talking about XIV specifically, the content gets consumed quickly because..there's not much content there.

Realize there's only 4-8 bosses at best in a year in terms of actual "hardcore content", whereas there's plenty of "casual" content scattered through the year - which even the most casual gamers complain about going through quickly unless there's...surprise, a time gate of some kind. XI's setup had a "content rotation" due to being horizontal, so even if you farmed x content to death, chances are you were already working on a different set of content as well. Unless you do Savage Raids and ex primals in XIV, your content base is actually fairly limited in the grand scheme of things because they obsolete content faster than they bring it out.

You can argue that if you join now you have tons of content...but how much of that content is relevant even to a causal player? So in terms of content consumption, it really falls down to:

Those who do content.
Those who choose not to do content.

None of the content in this game is really that difficult and even when they make 'hard content' it's hard because of the wrong reasons, which most raiders didn't even care for (Gordias) which is why you generally had only world first runners caring for it. Midas fixed that situation and Creator went towards the extreme opposite and being a bit too easy, as in you were able to skip phases at the start of the cycle, which is usually a bad thing for any content design, you're normally supposed to slowly get stronger and start bypassing phases later in the cycle like most vertical progression MMOs.

So I guess it comes down to, who are the causal players? Because as far as any "official" definition, SE's definition of casual are the players who aren't even max level during any phase of XIV (ARR/HW.)



Edited, Jan 12th 2017 8:21am by Theonehio
____________________________

#137 Jan 12 2017 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
Think a big part of this is, no matter what you say, unless it's in support for XIV, you'll get told off or told you're wrong/MMOs not for you/insert any other "gtfo the genre" response.


I don't do that and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. I've been critical of FFXIV myself in the past and I'm willing to listen to and have conversations about reasonable complaints about the game. My problem tends to come along when someone wants it to be a completely different kind of game than it is. If you want to talk about making the game better, cool. If you want to talk about turning it into a first-person shooter or something, we're going to have an issue

Quote:
it's not like XIV where everyone can scrape by doing even less than the bare minimum in 90% of the content.
.

Do you know what "minimum" means? Your disdain for casual players is well-known and is on full display here.

Quote:
Then comes the: "Who is a hardcore player and who is a casual player" since what seems to define "casual" is subjective based on argument.


It is, that's true. You always have to recontextualize what someone means when they use those terms so that you're having the same conversation as the person you're talking to. I don't like the terms personally because they tend to be vague and have wildly conflicting definitions. But those terms are the norm when it comes to discussing games, so those are the terms I used.

Quote:
Unless you do Savage Raids and ex primals in XIV, your content base is actually fairly limited in the grand scheme of things because they obsolete content faster than they bring it out.


That's...impossible. If you want to claim that older content is obsoleted by newer content ok.. in some cases it is. But content can't be obsolete before there's something to replace it. That's just not how that word works.

Quote:
You can argue that if you join now you have tons of content...but how much of that content is relevant even to a causal player?


All of it for a while, then such a player will settle into those things they want to spend their time on. Maybe they want to build an anima weapon, so they spend their time FATE grinding for crystals and then do a bunch of roulettes each day for lore. Maybe they want to learn EX primals and so they do that, maybe they want to stand around and have beauty contests or put on plays (btw did you see that? that was cool as ****).

Quote:
So I guess it comes down to, who are the causal players? Because as far as any "official" definition, SE's definition of casual are the players who aren't even max level during any phase of XIV (ARR/HW.)


I don't know that SE has ever defined what a casual player is. My metric for casual/hardcore has to do with how seriously someone takes their play time. You, for instance, have limited playtime but you focus on the hardest content in the game. I'd consider you a hardcore player because you've spent your time mastering the game and learning both how to play at the highest levels and how to handle the hardest content. I don't focus on savage raids and EX primals but I do focus on improving my character and my play. I consider myself a midcore-hardcore player because no matter what I'm doing, I want to do it the best I possibly can and I care about playing whatever I'm playing to the best of my abilities. I have a few friends who I'd describe as casual players. They enjoy doing content, but aren't super concerned about doing their rotations perfectly or necessarily getting every mechanic right as long as the fight is won eventually (may take a couple tries). They spend their time in-game enjoying themselves in different ways than I do and that has to be ok.

____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#138 Jan 12 2017 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Well definitely can tell you don't raid in this game, since XIV has much, much longer waits that breaks up the action. Just saying.


Ha, the vast majority of FFXIV players don't raid.

Quote:
I don't know that SE has ever defined what a casual player is. My metric for casual/hardcore has to do with how seriously someone takes their play time. You, for instance, have limited playtime but you focus on the hardest content in the game. I'd consider you a hardcore player because you've spent your time mastering the game and learning both how to play at the highest levels and how to handle the hardest content. I don't focus on savage raids and EX primals but I do focus on improving my character and my play. I consider myself a midcore-hardcore player because no matter what I'm doing, I want to do it the best I possibly can and I care about playing whatever I'm playing to the best of my abilities. I have a few friends who I'd describe as casual players. They enjoy doing content, but aren't super concerned about doing their rotations perfectly or necessarily getting every mechanic right as long as the fight is won eventually (may take a couple tries). They spend their time in-game enjoying themselves in different ways than I do and that has to be ok.


Nailed it. I'm solidly midcore. I mostly use my limited playtime to get things done and advance my character, whether by leveling another job or (once per week) doing Primal Extremes with my static.

I'm not hardcore enough to put up with the rigors of savage-level raiding or max out all of my jobs/crafts/etc. And I'm definitely more than casual, as I do try to be the best I can be at whichever job I play.

Edited, Jan 12th 2017 10:15am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#139 Jan 13 2017 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
It's pretty much a given that on whatever MMO board you speak up, especially an official one, about some other MMO, it's going to be called trash, a failure, or whatever. In reality, these games are often more similar than some are willing to admit, with the most dramatic differences lying between aesthetic. I can't even put story in there out of good faith, because the actual act of caring about lore means **** in the grand scheme of these mathematically stilted endgames. In terms of combat, rotations are more common a theme than they should be (and I'd even point back to the olden Refresh/Haste cycle for RDM in XI as an example of this there), with the occasional slight variations here and there like blocking in Tera or dodge rolling in GW2. Barest of bones, kill things and get stuff has been the root of progression, be it EXP, gold, items, etc..

And Hio forgot the third type of player: Those who try, but can't get the content done. And if anything, a perpetual history of that eventually turns someone into a player who never tries.

Nonetheless, we've done this song and dance about what a casual player is before. Time affords more flexibility, and that includes past experiences and connections. Someone who only plays 5 hours a week but has a guaranteed group of quality friends/help is far more likely to get things done than someone who throws 20 hours at the game and is constantly relying on PUGs or playing the crumbling static game. The former is not inherently a smarter player because of this, just more often lucky to have those resources available to make the gaming experience easier. Otherwise, more time provides more opportunities, and in games where content is more freely accessible, time can lend to the illusion of a more hardcore player even if what they do actually isn't difficult, just grindy.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#140 Jan 14 2017 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Quote:
Someone who only plays 5 hours a week but has a guaranteed group of quality friends/help is far more likely to get things done than someone who throws 20 hours at the game and is constantly relying on PUGs or playing the crumbling static game.


That's one of the biggest things I noticed when working on my alts to play with friends on Balmung and Sarga. So said "third type of player" wasn't forgotten, it just seems your mileage will vary based on what game and server you play it seems since I've had plenty of success with PUGs with my main on Chocobo, but on Balmung....

So it really is mostly people who do content and people who choose not to do content. The "try but fail" seems to be the rarest group, especially if you use any community forums as a metric because they're too busy complaining easy content is hard and waiting for it to get nerfed into the ground before even touching it or claiming the content type is "obsolete and shouldn't be in the game."

Since in 5 hours in this game specifically that's capped tomes for the week, weekly item in alliance based content (unless you're constantly wiping), complete run through of 4 floors of Alexander (normal) if you get lucky and get your items on first try. So that's quite a bit of content you can go through in a limited amount of time, not even counting Savage since people will forever believe the "MUST HAVE STATIC" train of thought and not counting smaller stuff that doesn't necessarily count as 'content.'

Quote:
It's pretty much a given that on whatever MMO board you speak up, especially an official one, about some other MMO, it's going to be called trash, a failure, or whatever


Yep, especially XIV boards because when you really look at other MMOs, they still seemed to have done some basic features so much better..request those features for XIV: "This ain't (MMO)/Go play (MMO)/All hail YoshiP/etc" even though it would only serve to make the game better.

Now that Yoshida finally admitted nothing is holding this game back besides their own desires, it's a matter of if/when they'll choose to evolve this game. The whole 'Rotation' based system is what kills anything interesting in this game because unless the battle system changes from what it is now, everyone so hyped for RDM will end up heavily disappointed, especially if they remember the Hype around MCH.

While MCH is an anomaly, a lot of features and gameplay ended up getting cut simply because it would be "too complex" for players..yet it was set to play on a similar system to PUP from XI..which everyone who's played XI/PUP knows it wasn't exactly that complex..you simply had to know what parts did what and how to maximize it. As of now we only know they'll prune/combine/alter skills players don't use (due to not touching the content where many come into play) and not much else besides possibly dropping Accuracy and Parry stats altogether.

At this point they may as well just combine everything into one overall stat like other MMOs have been doing lately.

____________________________

#141 Jan 14 2017 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
especially if you use any community forums as a metric


And you really shouldn't because people who participate in forums tend to be the most dedicated fans of a game. The overwhelming majority of players of any game don't participate in forum discussions and will usually not even be aware the forums exist unless they have a technical problem or something (and then customer service websites direct you to the forums).

Quote:
because they're too busy complaining easy content is hard and waiting for it to get nerfed into the ground before even touching it or claiming the content type is "obsolete and shouldn't be in the game."


Hyperbole aside, what's easy for you may be hard for someone else. I feel like we've talked about this already.

Quote:
Since in 5 hours in this game specifically that's capped tomes for the week, weekly item in alliance based content (unless you're constantly wiping), complete run through of 4 floors of Alexander (normal) if you get lucky and get your items on first try.


That takes me days, not hours. Most people don't play their games like wind sprints. You do, that's fine, but please don't assume you're in a majority there.



Edited, Jan 15th 2017 9:01am by Szabo
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#142 Jan 14 2017 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Quote:
and not counting smaller stuff that doesn't necessarily count as 'content.'


Which content is not content? I'm curious.

Quote:
ep, especially XIV boards because when you really look at other MMOs, they still seemed to have done some basic features so much better..request those features for XIV: "This ain't (MMO)/Go play (MMO)/All hail YoshiP/etc" even though it would only serve to make the game better.


I don't see this, but then I also don't go out looking for it to reinforce my confirmation bias.

Quote:
The whole 'Rotation' based system is what kills anything interesting in this game because unless the battle system changes from what it is now, everyone so hyped for RDM will end up heavily disappointed, especially if they remember the Hype around MCH.


New classes generate hype in MMOs. This has been true since time immemorial. The fact most people don't end up sticking with the new hotness has nothing to do with rotations existing. It has to do with people trying the new thing because it's the new thing, and then deciding later they liked their old thing better. A good recent example of this is WoW's Demon Hunter class that was just introduced. There were approximately 6 hojillion double jumping elves running around when those were introduced, but the number of people that actually stuck with the class is very small. Lots of hype, mediocre retention. The numbers will even out eventually, but that's just how this kind of thing works. It always has and it always will and it has nothing to do with rotations being a thing.


Callinon wrote:
<span style="opacity:.5">Message has high abuse count and will not be displayed.</span>


O...k?

Zam forum software... stellar as always.

Edited, Jan 15th 2017 9:02am by Szabo
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#143 Jan 14 2017 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
Well, now I'm curious what you said.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#144 Jan 15 2017 at 8:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Darqflame's Peon
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
****
6,008 posts
Its some new antispam feature for the EQ database site thats very buggy, cutting a portion of his post seems to fix whatever triggering it.

I went ahead and broke his post into two.
#145 Jan 15 2017 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
Szabo wrote:
Its some new antispam feature for the EQ database site thats very buggy, cutting a portion of his post seems to fix whatever triggering it.

I went ahead and broke his post into two.


Maybe it was all the in-line quotes... It makes me wonder what kind of toxic nonsense is going on with the EQ comment sections though.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#146 Jan 16 2017 at 9:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Callinon wrote:
Quote:
especially if you use any community forums as a metric


And you really shouldn't because people who participate in forums tend to be the most dedicated fans of a game. The overwhelming majority of players of any game don't participate in forum discussions and will usually not even be aware the forums exist unless they have a technical problem or something (and then customer service websites direct you to the forums).


Main reason I say that is because people want to shrug off Database parsing, even though it gives an accurate number outside of A4/A8/A12s clear numbers due to the special nature of those achievements. So unless SE gives us their numbers, which as proven by the 2016 census they won't, we'll never know the 100% state of the game, only what we can parse ourselves. That's a big part of why as much as people want to brush off unofficial parsing, it counts said "don't participate in forums" players.

Quote:
Hyperbole aside, what's easy for you may be hard for someone else. I feel like we've talked about this already.


Sadly, it's not Hyperbole, as certain people on these forums have even said they won't touch content until it gets nerfed. Also, what's easy for one may not be for others, which is true, but if you can realistically say dodging AoEs (that gives you plenty of time to do so) is hard for some people..well, we can no longer state content is hard and it comes down to player skill. We did indeed talk about it before and I was told I was wrong to "blame the players." There's really no "hard" content in this game, since the only detrimental situations in most accessible content comes down to people just not caring, so it largely comes down to me assuming players would know the basics of the game because outside of Savage Raids, they don't introduce "new" mechanics, usually a variation of a mechanic you've already seen. For example you should not be running away from "GATHER TO SOAK THIS DAMAGE" mechanic you've seen before.

If you can honestly say grasping that concept is "hard for some people" despite how easy of a mechanic is, then you're misunderstanding what I'm talking about. Especially since the only content that utilize that mechanic requires you to clear content before it that has used it before. I'm sure you've seen plenty of people run away with the stack indicator especially in Ravana and Weeping City, especially since there's very few content even during 2.x days, let alone 3.x, that has an indicator that says to "get away from me", it's usually gather or gather with a partner with similar indicator.

Quote:
That takes me days, not hours. Most people don't play their games like wind sprints. You do, that's fine, but please don't assume you're in a majority there.


Incorrect - Considering the nature of this game, if your playtime is limited to 5 hours or less a day, you can do A LOT in that time frame unless you're just ******* around basically, it's hard to deny that unless, yet again, it comes down to CHOOSING not to do content. PoTD caps out your tomes extremely quickly IF your goal is to get tomes because playing on your level 60 job nets you Scripture tomes at a fairly high rate clearing the floors, which will not take you long at all unless you unfortunately get terrible parties. Clearing 4 floors of Alexander doesn't take that long either, which is why I said IF you get your drops on first try each time. Current alliance content (Weeping City) takes 20-30 minutes at current ilvl, you'll obviously get that run that takes the full time, but as people on these forums love to say "that's an exception."

We already know the "majority" of players aren't even max level.or even stick around beyond 2.x's main storyline, because Yoshida even said that base on their research before deciding on introducing Jump potions which is why the main users of it will most likely be people running alts (character/jobs.)



Callinon wrote:

Quote:
ep, especially XIV boards because when you really look at other MMOs, they still seemed to have done some basic features so much better..request those features for XIV: "This ain't (MMO)/Go play (MMO)/All hail YoshiP/etc" even though it would only serve to make the game better.


I don't see this, but then I also don't go out looking for it to reinforce my confirmation bias.


You don't have to "seek it out", you simply have to look at any community, including this one, and you'll see it fairly often, you simply have to mention another MMO, especially one by the same Developers.

Quote:
New classes generate hype in MMOs. This has been true since time immemorial. The fact most people don't end up sticking with the new hotness has nothing to do with rotations existing.


It does, actually, even more so in this game, because they wanted the new jobs to be something different than what they already have been playing. People dropped MCH pretty quickly when it didn't turn out to be what was advertised, and I'm talking about the general playerbase, which even proven by SE's census data for the last year was in the minority.

Quote:
It has to do with people trying the new thing because it's the new thing, and then deciding later they liked their old thing better.


Since we're not allowed to bring up raiding or "OMG IT'S ONLY 0.0000000000000000001% OF THE PLAYERBASE!", a lot of people dropped MCH early on because it couldn't keep up and it was essentially the same thing as BRD..yet BRD did BRD better. This is the biggest reason for MCH dying off. However post adjustments, it's become the top DPS in game when the moons align for you. For WoW it definitely makes sense, especially considering the setup of that game in comparison to this one. XIV is homogonized, WoW actually has wiggle room even if it'd be ineffcient. For example you can deviate from "set" strategies in WoW all you want, if you do so in XIV, bad things happen because jobs and the game is not designed to do as such.

My point is more, people thinking RDM will be 'unique' or 'different' as per current battle system, will be disappointed because it'll fall into the MCH hype train of how it was supposed to be "unique" and "complex" and "your turret will be customizable/a key part of the job."

Edited, Jan 16th 2017 7:17am by Theonehio
____________________________

#147 Jan 16 2017 at 9:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Hardcore Hio strikes again!

Quick-hit responses:

Quote:
Sadly, it's not Hyperbole


Yes, your views on this subject are totally hyperbole.

Quote:
There's really no "hard" content in this game


There is lots of hard content in this game; it's just difficult to varying degrees, and it becomes easy once scripts are memorized.

Quote:
if your playtime is limited to 5 hours or less a day, you can do A LOT in that time frame unless you're just ******* around basically, it's hard to deny that unless, yet again, it comes down to CHOOSING not to do content.


You can't expect everyone to play from a hardcore mindset. Your "******* around" is someone else's "helping FC mates with dungeons, decorating my house or gathering scrips, etc."

Quote:
You don't have to "seek it out", you simply have to look at any community, including this one


Again, silly hyperbole. Perhaps we'll call it Hiobole.

Quote:
It does, actually, even more so in this game,


I'm so flabbergasted by how wrong you were about everything else that I can't even remember what you're wrong about here. But you are wrong.

Quote:
My point is more, people thinking RDM will be 'unique' or 'different' as per current battle system, will be disappointed


People often don't stick with secondary jobs because they've already forged an identity to their first jobs. However, when jobs get stigmatized as being behind, that also affects casual and midcore players -- even if maximizing DPS is only really necessary for hardcore raiders. This is FFXIV, and most players don't expect the jobs to be substantially different. The game is clearly designed without support/hybrid roles, and that is not changing.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#148 Jan 16 2017 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
******
49,567 posts
Callinon wrote:
Maybe it was all the in-line quotes...
It was a combination of character count and overuse of naughty words like poop and assassin. Situation should be corrected for now.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#149 Jan 17 2017 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,726 posts
Thayos wrote:
Hardcore Hio strikes again!

Quote:
There's really no "hard" content in this game


There is lots of hard content in this game; it's just difficult to varying degrees, and it becomes easy once scripts are memorized.



I agree there is no hard content in this game.. It is sad when you can watch a video and learn more than playing the game. All there is in any fight in this game is dodging and either you can or you cannot. Make a fight harder by adding more dodging and all that does is make the whm job harder because they can heal while moving. You get lazy dps who do not want to move which makes it even harder on the whm. Whm and tank are the only job with any challenge at all... All dps jobs are is rotation which also can be learned from a video. You have a dps check in some fights wooo and again if you know rotation should be nothing. Hey if you can not doge in a month or two they will nerf the content.

Lag in the game is about the only real challenge to over come for some or trying to get a party together where someone actually wants to learn the content without being carried and keeping them together. Thayos your right no one
Thayos wrote:
Ha, the vast majority of FFXIV players don't raid.
Well at least hardcore mode.

You said scripted yourself and that really is it. A fight needs to change and be different and it needs to create situations where you need to react different. The game does not even require to understand any skills it is amazing as long as you know rotation and again even if you do not understand it. There are never any surprises in this game ever.

A friend of mine, he is the one who got me into FFXI, He also played FFXIV the first version and hated it and this version. We were chatting the other night on the ps4 and talking about this thread and he said FFXIV is not for the casual gamer it is for the lazy gamer, the game who wants it all and it is just handed to them. Then again he is the one who talked me into play ESO which was terrible.

I think in a way he has something though. I think the real draw to the game is it is easy. With not much work you can get pretty much anything in this game and if you cannot get it then wait a month or two till they nerf the content and if you still stink someone can carry you at this point.

I think what made me realise this was the Relic. OMG it took allot of time which is cool with me but then as soon as I finished a section they Nerfed it and made it easy.
Then they took it way instead of expending on it. I think that is what broke my back and said why try to be on top anymore if they are going to just hand stuff to people.


I wanna comeback for the story, We loved the story. Tesee loved her house but what good is a house in this game anyway. You do not need it not even for storage. Housing could be so expanded upon and be awsum but they are in such a rush to bring in more content because the game is so easy people fly through content which does not allow the developers to do anything else in the game. FFXIV has so much potential but all it will ever get is cookie cutter scripted dungeons and fights. I think that is why I keep coming back is I see potential in this game. I do not want a game as hardcore as FFXI used to be either.






Edited, Jan 17th 2017 1:06pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#150 Jan 17 2017 at 12:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You said scripted yourself and that really is it. A fight needs to change and be different and it needs to create situations where you need to react different. The game does not even require to understand any skills it is amazing as long as you know rotation and again even if you do not understand it. There are never any surprises in this game ever.


Totally agree with the gist of this, but there is still difficulty involved -- otherwise, you'd be able to just watch a video and then one-shot the fights, which never happens. Most people need several hours of repetition with the same group in order to win these fights.

It's not real difficulty in the sense that you have to adapt to unpredictable situations, but to say these fights are "easy" or "very easy" is total hyperbole.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#151 Jan 17 2017 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
***
3,702 posts
MMO fights cannot be unpredictable. Actually I don't know of any video game fight that can be unpredictable. A boss has a certain set of abilities that have been programmed into it and it will use those abilities when its programming tells it to. That's it.

With enough repetition you can learn what to do in any given circumstance. A well-crafted guide video makes this process easier because you're not seeing something you've literally never seen before. But that's literally all video games, so I'm not really sure what the complaint is this time. Is the complaint that a truly random fight can never happen? Ok, but then would you be ok with a fight that is randomly unwinnable? I suspect you would not be ok with that (be honest). At that point your chances of success have nothing to do with your skill as a player and everything to do with what hand you got dealt. At the reverse end of that too you have a fight that randomly just hands its loot to you because you won the dice roll. That'd make those world first groups feel great.

If all the content in FFXIV were easy because youtube exists then you'd have a lot more people sitting on full savage clears because it'd just be a matter of spending 10 minutes on youtube and pushing a couple buttons, then all the gear gets mailed to you? Right? Is that the argument here? But that's not the case because even if you technically "know" how a fight works, you still have to execute that while also doing your job and dealing with any mistakes your group makes that complicate the situation.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 124 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (124)