Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

I dont think anyone can disagree with this article.Follow

#52 Aug 19 2016 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
Nope, you don't get to take me out of context or put words into my mouth. I've been extremely clear on what I mean, and I express my thoughts much better than you do. Quote me correctly or don't do it at all. Seriously, consider this your first warning. This tactic will not become acceptable..


You do it all the time to me (and anyone else with a different view than you) though. Even so far as to tell me what I supposedly mean.

Edited, Aug 19th 2016 4:28pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#53 Aug 19 2016 at 5:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You do it all the time to me (and anyone else with a different view than you) though. Even so far as to tell me what I supposedly mean.


Then call me out and tell me how I'm wrong.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#54 Aug 19 2016 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Thayos wrote:
No, the problem is people don't want to do heavily punishing raids. It's not fun for a lot of people. It's insane to expect people to want to do things they don't find fun.

It's just one of those things...

I don't feel that Hio's argument is weak because the concepts are not at all new and also not exclusive to XIV. This is par for the course. You have to play the game if you want to win the prize.

Thayos wrote:
Why do you consistently blame players for not wanting to play content they don't enjoy?

To borrow a page from your book... why do you play it if you don't enjoy it? You've asked others including myself this very question and the answer always boils down to player preference.

This is why it seems like the players are being blamed. We all knew(anyone with previous experience anyway) what to expect from a game based on the vertical progression model. You can't really point the finger at the developers of the game because they brought almost exactly what was expected.

Doctors and lawyers make boatloads of money. They go through school, pre-law/med, more school, residency, ect. ect. It's a grind. The reward for that grind is a hefty salary. The comparison isn't direct, but the concepts are parallel. Grind = gain. The longer and harder you work, the higher the ceiling is for your reward and it's not much different in vertical progression.

This is really nothing new and we all should have expected it before even putting the disc in the tray. It sucks that people who genuinely don't have time to raid that would enjoy it can't do so. I just don't have any sympathy for players who do have the means, but make a conscious decision not to exercise that freedom. The reason(s) doesn't matter.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#55 Aug 20 2016 at 12:04 AM Rating: Good
****
5,722 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Why do you consistently blame players for not wanting to play content they don't enjoy?

To borrow a page from your book... why do you play it if you don't enjoy it?

Most people don't. That's the whole point.

Often, people just don't do the content they don't enjoy. They would rather have something else they do like instead, or in addition.

Edited, Aug 20th 2016 3:41am by Karlina
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#56 Aug 20 2016 at 3:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
This article is comparing chalk with cheese, it's always been the case that they saw wow as the pinnacle of success to be copied and xi was not.

If XIV players think they are ever really going to copy anything from xi you're deluded, from the start the devs were told yoo look at wow as to how it's done. You are never going to get a prettier xi, you're never going to get anything other than what wow does because that is where the developers are looking for their inspiration.

Whether you agree or not, it is what it is. This is a game based on and that will never deviate from wow, the good thing is that it can try appeal to a bigger audience doing that. The bad thing is that when wow brings out a new expansion you're going to lose vast numbers more players than you already have. They played their cards, what's done is done.
#57 Aug 20 2016 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
To borrow a page from your book... why do you play it if you don't enjoy it?


I don't play content that I don't enjoy.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#58 Aug 20 2016 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
To borrow a page from your book... why do you play it if you don't enjoy it?


I don't play content that I don't enjoy.


Tons of people do this too every day in XIV, heck most still run content they don't enjoy because it rewards things.

Palace of the Dead (Rewards)
Certain Roulettes (I promise most people doing this aren't solo queuing the trials and dungeons you land in unless they absolutely have to.)
Alexander/Beast Tribe spamming for relic (I refuse to believe people spamming these enjoy spamming it for the 100th time for no reward other than an item towards your unidentified.)

And so on.

So that pretty much falls under: "The game nor anything else isn't preventing you from doing things, you simply choose not to."

Not sure why that's such a bad thing.

Edited, Aug 20th 2016 6:40pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#59 Aug 20 2016 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
Quote:
Doctors and lawyers make boatloads of money. They go through school, pre-law/med, more school, residency, ect. ect. It's a grind. The reward for that grind is a hefty salary. The comparison isn't direct, but the concepts are parallel. Grind = gain. The longer and harder you work, the higher the ceiling is for your reward and it's not much different in vertical progression.

Except in MMO-land, if you're not a doctor or lawyer, you're never allowed to use your money (no matter how you earned it) to buy things you want. That's generally my problem with the current MMO endgame "standard" as it essentially dictates you play a certain way or chunks of the game remain inaccessible.

I've said it before, though, to really raid, you can't just do it once and call it a day. Be it token systems or RNG drops, you've gotta do it repeatedly if you want to max out on it. The people that Thayos and myself often refer to are those who may indeed be capable of actually completing the content, but for one reason or another, can't conform to the needed time to do it all in earnest and often just avoid it altogether. And with "progression" being what it is, you don't want weak links littering your party when things like DPS checks or other punishing mechanics mathematically designed around certain gear levels are present.

And all of this is before you really step too deeply into the social aspect of it all, with some being hyper-competitive about stuff like world firsts, zero tolerance of certain classes/strategies, voice chat requirements, and so on. Given the numerous MMOs I've poked my head into over time, this grouping has a high tendency to believe they're the more important demographic simply because they're the alluded doctor or lawyer. When the reality is society is more than that, no matter how much we may wanna look down on the janitor or burger flipper as the hypothetical bottom rung of employment.

It's the in-betweeners that really want stuff that's more than just cosmetics or sidegrades. I've made it no secret I personally hate (fixed) dungeon spamming, as it all just becomes mundane routine people grind through out of obligation. So, aside from randomizing that, as Deep Dungeon is experimenting with, we still need worthwhile content outside the 4-man sphere you can do alone or even with a buddy or two. And this includes my old hat gripe that crafting needs to not play second fiddle to drops. The open world needs to matter, and part of that includes trash mobs being worth killing, to have random events people want to do, and to bluntly cut the shackles of daily/weekly limitations. The true essence of "role-playing" doesn't really exist in these games anymore, and I mean in being a character and not so much a slot in the trinity. And we're partly to blame this precisely because we fell into the raiding design trap, and for some it's to the point of sadomasochism.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#60 Aug 20 2016 at 7:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Seriha wrote:
I've said it before, though, to really raid, you can't just do it once and call it a day. Be it token systems or RNG drops, you've gotta do it repeatedly if you want to max out on it.


Indeed, which makes it no different than any other content, ESPECIALLY in this game. However, given that SE weekly locksout gear and PUNISHES you for going back to help others doesn't help things either.

Quote:
And all of this is before you really step too deeply into the social aspect of it all, with some being hyper-competitive about stuff like world firsts, zero tolerance of certain classes/strategies


The funny thing about zero tolerance as you put it:

The game itself has zero tolerance for anything but what is designed, so definitely don't lump that into social aspect. No one BUT a WAR/PLD/DRK can tank simply because no other classes not only can produce as much enmity, but doesn't come anywhere near the defense and mitigation requirements. Not even Titan/Topaz/Onyx Carby can end-game tank properly due to their special nature (it would be highly OP if they could.)

Otherwise, as long as you have melee/ranged/caster mix you're fine, because the game punishes you for stacking classes, something people complained to SE to make happen, because of saltiness of Manaburns back in FFXI prime days.

Quote:
Given the numerous MMOs I've poked my head into over time, this grouping has a high tendency to believe they're the more important demographic


In the more than 20+ MMOs I've played for any decent amount of time, "Raid content" tends to be the content that actually lasts the longest when you ignore artifical barriers because it is USUALLY designed to be a culmination of all you've done in order to tackle it and thus get rewarded for it.

Content like Weeping City for example would be done within a day if you were allowed to farm it for points to purchase gear without weekly restriction. Diadem proved that content in XIV has an EXTREMELY short life span if you can use it as an alternate to raid content. Diadem was fine as a concept because it works as an alternative, but it pretty much obsoleted any set of content you could think of at the time. So it's not that that group of people "think they're more important", they just realize what content tends to last the most.

SERIOUSLY think about the content FFXIV adds and which set of content tends to last even 2 weeks after a major patch goes live. Barring forcing us back into obsoleted content, it's usually the raid content, rarely the fluff content and before it gets taken out of context, as usual, it's not because of the difficulty either, because people were still doing Binding Coil well into the CT days because it offered more than just gear.

Quote:
It's the in-betweeners that really want stuff that's more than just cosmetics or sidegrades.


When it comes to XIV though...I really wonder who are the "in-betweeners", since I'm classified as a casual player, I'm just not going to pretend 1-3 hours a day sometimes every other 4 days isn't enough time to get through this game's content, especially once you learn it (since a full run of Midas Savage 1-4 is about 4 hours at the slowest pace possible given 4's mechanic orgy.) Yet when I see people mention casual players..it gets said they don't do "hardcore raids" or "ex primals"..so like..what IS casual? what IS midcore? Since 3.x actually did better at introducing "not just side grades"...for example you had Sephirot Ex, gave you 220 weapons, you have Lore weapons, which takes 7 weeks of Midas 4 Normal and 1k Lore tomes to get if you refuse to do Savage Midas for the token drop, then you had Nidhogg Ex and now you have Deep Dungeon when considering weapons alone (as they matter the most for any kind of progression.)

Quote:
The open world needs to matter, and part of that includes trash mobs being worth killing, to have random events people want to do, and to bluntly cut the shackles of daily/weekly limitations. The true essence of "role-playing" doesn't really exist in these games anymore, and I mean in being a character and not so much a slot in the trinity. And we're partly to blame this precisely because we fell into the raiding design trap, and for some it's to the point of sadomasochism.


While true, raiding isn't why this happen...far from it or it would have happened with XI as well because most of the sought after gear was ALWAYS from events like Dynamis, while Sky/Sea open world had it's share of drops as well, but open world systems like Campaign/Besieged/Voidwatch/etc also still existed. What DID happen, were people saying open world is "outdated"...really, look back on the 1.0 forum archive or the beta forums, **** even look back to pre 2.0 interviews where Yoshida said Open world won't be a focus outside of FATEs.

I'm not sure how Raiding has anything to do with open world being forgotten in this game, since as proven with Diadem, people would GLADLY move away from instance raiding if there's a decent open world "raid."

Sadly, this is all part of Yoshi's "the formula won't change because it works" he said during E3, because 4 Man has a particular balance, 8 man has a particular balance. 24 man is the only set of content that can change everything because if they tune 24 man to be a "hardcore raid", they can EASILY retune 4/8 man content to be anything from "easy" to "hard" content and save 24 man for the top tier drops since it literally solves the 3-4 bosses every 6 months they release in one raid lol.

Since idk, no matter what you say or suggest, just the mere mention of raiding is "wrong."

Coil had high participation levels and extremely higher clear rates overall? Wrong for this game!
Ex primals that take memorization and learning? WRONG!
Alexander Savage? Ain't that cute, BUT IT'S STILL WRONG!

So realistically, to some people, raiding is just "wrong" and they want to see it gone, yet would fight tooth and nail if you were to say "get rid of chocobo racing or the golden saucer" since even looking at ticket sales (the best way to gauge how many people actually bother with utilizing that content system), GS has THE lowest participation rate of any content in the game. Even on Balmung where people use it more for RP atmosphere than anything. Chocobo Racing was dead in the dirt, but you'd still have some people queuing for it every now and then. Lord of Verminion was dead in the dirt, people still do it every now and then. Triple Triad is dead in the water..people still participate every now and then..yet if you say get rid of that content, you'll become public enemy #1, but it's perfectly okay to say get rid of a progression component. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________

#61 Aug 20 2016 at 8:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
but it's perfectly okay to say get rid of a progression component.


That's actually not what I've been saying at all.

What I've been saying is that if SE can only focus resources on one type of progression content, it should be something other than raiding that appeals to more people and better utilizes the game's social infrastructure. That seems to be what others have been saying, too.

Your attempt to paraphrase up above seems to infer that folks like myself would cut off progression content with no corrective measures, which isn't true.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#62 Aug 20 2016 at 10:37 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Seriha wrote:
Except in MMO-land, if you're not a doctor or lawyer, you're never allowed to use your money (no matter how you earned it) to buy things you want.


I just meant that you have to put in the work to get the reward. What Thayos and others consistently complain about are things related to raiding, but not the actual raiding. The only thing I really see about raiding directly are in regards to how dangerous the mechanics can be. I don't really know of any other way for content to present a challenge unless you're forced to execute on a high level.

Theonehio wrote:
SE weekly locksout gear and PUNISHES you for going back to help others doesn't help things either.

Though I don't praise SE for bootlegging mechanics from other games, I feel like they'd be better served allowing players some sort of limited currency to spend on 'bonus loot rolls'.

Complete a weekly quest and earn a token that you can spend after defeating a boss for a shot at a piece of loot you might want. I don't see it drawing players to raiding, but I feel like it could keep them there and certainly foster keeping them involved and running the content more frequently if it suits them.

Thayos wrote:
What I've been saying is that if SE can only focus resources on one type of progression content, it should be something other than raiding that appeals to more people and better utilizes the game's social infrastructure.

Do you trade the punishing mechanics in for added time spent assembling your group? Do you accept the mechanics being even more punishing for the freedom of going in with smaller groups? It's coming out either way, it's just a matter of where. If they're going to maintain the grind/reward ratio then there isn't much wiggle room anywhere else.

I don't even know why the social aspect of the game is even being mentioned. People can't even be bothered to login to voice chat just to listen, much less to interact with other people... a large part of what makes these games unique in my opinion. Nearly everything I learned about FFXI was a result of talking to other players either in group chat, voice chat, in forums like this one or even in that one cafe across town.

As much as I think XI has it all over XIV in terms of core mechanics, I wouldn't give a **** about either of them without the interactions I had with other people and not the actual content.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#63 Aug 20 2016 at 10:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Do you trade the punishing mechanics in for added time spent assembling your group? Do you accept the mechanics being even more punishing for the freedom of going in with smaller groups?


FFXI's endgame battles often had punishing mechanics, but they didn't require the entire party or alliance to perfectly execute synchronized moves in order to succeed. There was flexibility so that more people made fights easier, but a handful of skilled people were still needed to handle mechanics or mitigate moves at the proper moments.

So, no, I don't see why quality progression content needs to lean so heavily on punishing group-wide mechanics.

You're right that "standing around" time can be significant while gathering, but that's something that also affects some raid groups. In FFXI, I was in linkshells that always started an hour late and others that always started right on time. That's on the community. Personally, yes, I'm fine with that kind of flexibility.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#64 Aug 21 2016 at 3:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Words, and ideas. I have them.

The feeling of progression raiding and reward for difficulty, I feel, can still be preserved while removing much of the haves/have-nots mentality and punishment that the playerbase experiences with a simple on/off pass/fail style endgame.

But to start off, here's the disclaimers.

No, I don't feel like the 'best rewards" should be reserved for the players that do the hardest difficulty. I believe that those who do the hardest difficulty should spend the least amount of time getting their rewards, so they can move on to other content or help others, or gear other classes/jobs/roles/etc.

I feel difficulty is being substituted for engagement in the current endgame - it can afford to more forgiving and more random in its mechanical elements, less random in it's drop rates, and more random in its stat distribution. In short Diadem's loot system was cool and could be used at the raid level - provided raids were not as difficult, and drop rates were not as suffocated. It's proven that this sort of system enhances replay-ability in other like games. Difficulty wise, I still think there is a way to obtain variant difficulties that still maintain a consistent level of satisfaction, while each difficulty providing variations within their own occurrences, as well as independently of each difficulty - but it would require the mechanics to become a bit more forgiving in terms of user error.

In addition, I feel as if there lacks a permanence in rewards. I feel that raids need a unique take-away for each successive progress. These rewards need not be best-in-use, but they should add more interesting dynamics to the game and jobs that get them.

There is a substantial loss of proactive teamwork within the game. There's very little cross job or cross role cooperation, especially in a means of feeling like they have a sizable impact on the game itself - and most that does exist feels simply like an independent component that adds to a team, rather than a team focused effort culminating in a large impact. (Everyone does their job, rather than help one another meet a goal.) The lack of this element, I feel, is one of the major factors why the limits of enemy mechanics feel more exposed.

I have ideas for all of these factors - in ways I feel the majority of the players, even some to many raiders, may wind up enjoying. But because of the specific environment here. I feel hesitant to share them.

The arguments here are more repetitive than the gear-grind and raiding is in FFXIV, and nobody and no one seems remotely interested in shifting. Even as I keep trying to find middle-of-the-road ideas.

Edited, Aug 21st 2016 5:56am by Hyrist
#65 Aug 21 2016 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
but it's perfectly okay to say get rid of a progression component.


That's actually not what I've been saying at all.

What I've been saying is that if SE can only focus resources on one type of progression content, it should be something other than raiding that appeals to more people and better utilizes the game's social infrastructure. That seems to be what others have been saying, too.

Your attempt to paraphrase up above seems to infer that folks like myself would cut off progression content with no corrective measures, which isn't true.


However the "corrective measure" seems to essentially fall into the "remove raiding" area of things, because no matter what gets suggested, unless it's faceroll easy in design and difficulty it's still "only for hardcore groups."

**** I've even said numerous times all they have to do is stop focusing so much on the branched content they started with 3.x and just go back to Coil era where every set of content worked on each other and if you wanted to get the best rewards, you simply just had to improve your play skill and gear in order to tackle it. When it comes to this game specifically, let's be real, even on the OF you have people complaining about how on the NA/EU duty finder people don't like pulling their weight and so on, it's not one person saying that, it's not the same person saying that for the past 2 years, it's quite a few people and quite a hot topic that if you search does indeed come up numerous times.

How do you appeal to a group of people who BARELY want to do even the easy content? Even you yourself no doubt have experience people auto leave dungeons or trials, especially in 3.x era when they land in Final Steps of Faith or Ravana/Bismarck for example or they land in Hullbreaker Hard or Anti-Tower.

That is why I "blame players" far more than I'll ever blame the content design, because everything is accessible to everyone, but when you have a playerbase who can barely be bothered with even small things such as that, how do you appeal to them without essentially handing the gear out?


Thayos wrote:
FFXI's endgame battles often had punishing mechanics, but they didn't require the entire party or alliance to perfectly execute synchronized moves in order to succeed. There was flexibility so that more people made fights easier, but a handful of skilled people were still needed to handle mechanics or mitigate moves at the proper moments.

So, no, I don't see why quality progression content needs to lean so heavily on punishing group-wide mechanics.


Simply because it's actually far easier to "work in sync" than it is to have people do their own thing. For quite a lot of the Savage Midas encounters for example you don't have to be "perfectly synchronized", much like in XI, there's actually QUITE a few ways to handle things, the thing is though, it's just FAR EASIER doing things a certain way, much like you didn't have to chainspell stun Dynamis Lord, but you sure as **** would if you didn't like eating the potential death and numerous aga spam, it's the same concept with XIV's raids. The thing is though, people tend to follow particular video strategies, usually by either Xeno, MTQ or MrHappy, that's usually where you see the "synchronization" come from since even Xeno (one of the top raiders on NA side) have said there's numerous ways to do each encounter, so there actually is wiggle room in how you tackle certain raid content, it's no more punishing than messing up mechanics on easy content that can end in a wipe.

Mess up atomos in Labyrinth, World of Darkness or Weeping City..far from a punishing fight but I promise you it ends in a wipe. The only way to "scale" these higher end raids is through ilvl, simply because this game is built around ilvl more than it is anything else. So while "gear don't make the player or equal skill", in XIV it sure as **** shows when everyone is highly geared, for example completely bypassing every Ozma mechanic post Blackhole because the entire alliance is ilvl240+ and since his Cube/Triangle form attacks are based on % (how long he's in it) if you're pushing through it fast you will only see the initial form mechanic (laser/orbs) but nothing else because you're pushing him beyond the % trigger extremely quickly.

I think this is why I'm not seeing the "hardcore only" or "perfectly in sync or it's over" because groups I've been in don't rely on videos and at best if we ever watch a strategy video it's usually MTQCapture because her videos are actually using alternate strategies than the "suggested." Very few content actually have you grouping together for mechanics AS the actual mechanic.
____________________________

#66 Aug 21 2016 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
****
5,722 posts
Theonehio wrote:
How do you appeal to a group of people who BARELY want to do even the easy content? Even you yourself no doubt have experience people auto leave dungeons or trials, especially in 3.x era when they land in Final Steps of Faith or Ravana/Bismarck for example or they land in Hullbreaker Hard or Anti-Tower.

Again, we seem to experience the game very differently. Aside from from Final Steps of Faith during those first first few days, I have never seen anyone auto-leave any of those things.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#67 Aug 21 2016 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Karlina wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
How do you appeal to a group of people who BARELY want to do even the easy content? Even you yourself no doubt have experience people auto leave dungeons or trials, especially in 3.x era when they land in Final Steps of Faith or Ravana/Bismarck for example or they land in Hullbreaker Hard or Anti-Tower.

Again, we seem to experience the game very differently. Aside from from Final Steps of Faith during those first first few days, I have never seen anyone auto-leave any of those things.


Which means in your experience you don't. However I can see pretty readily on reddit and OF people complain about and even asking SE to add incentives for successful clears aside the trial roulette bonus and heck even to the point of asking for MORE punishment for people who leave a roulette or queue and do nothing (especially mentors), so while your experience have been favorable, I can definitely see it happens quite a lot not just to myself.

Normally you see people leave these particular ones after the fact because they no longer need it or want to deal with the wipes that happen..and I sincerely hope you're not going to say people don't wipe in final steps.

Then again, maybe you're lucky enough to be on the Datacenter with players who rarely wipe to DF content and actually NEVER abandon something they dislike they end up in with their roulette selection, so maybe Aether is just it's own little world.



Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkjRTUyeJuc

I much prefer content like this, because while master trials in XI are largely for glamour in a sense (OMG!) it's still challenging and it still something you have to build up to. **** it even has story attached to it because good chances you have an attachment to the characters/enemies in some way or you get the "wow so it's basically xyz bosses you had to deal with in the storyline working together"..something cool like that.

Edited, Aug 21st 2016 9:26am by Theonehio
____________________________

#68 Aug 21 2016 at 11:22 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
"Barely even do the easy content" is a misnomer, and an outright lie when you look at last cycle's Story mode participation/clear numbers. Complaints on OF and other sites are a vocal minority, talking about a minority of their experiences. Basic psycology easily explains that the issue here is that when you flood a person with similar experiences over and over again, even if the vast majority of them are positive or neutral, the negatives are the ones that stick in the human mind the most. Compound that with the typical tropes of an English speaking gaming community (wont to tantrum at the drop of a hat) and you get your explanation. - in short, a few bad apples may stand out, but they don't ruin the bunch.

Metrics across the board from MMOs already indicate much higher participation and clear numbers across the board for lower to mid end raiding, and note that most of this is done without enticing the best gear available in the patch. The highest participation and clears is always for the raiding that allows for open groups to find their sources together. This opens up the pool of players to find positive experiences, for raiders, who are more like to find the negatives in the bunch (or more accurately see negative behavior blossom) due to continual strain and frustration -

Mayhap hardship does not bind people together as much as it did in the good-old days? I wonder.

Anyways, people should really stop treating like appealing to the midcore is some impossible task. The metrics and tools for doing so are already there, and in many cases are in use in various forms. They just need to be more universally applied.

Anyways, I feel like I stumbled upon and idea that would suitably provide raid progression without the over-reliance upon the gear power creep we currently have, and enhance the current gameplay mechanics to boot. It was kinda staring us in the face really - as a form of it already exists in the game. SE tends to create good pieces, and then doesn't have the sense of putting them together.

If PVP is a system that merits itself its own additional ability set - then why don't we have Raid skills? More particularly we could have a small number of raid skills particular to each raid, that could be leveled up, and, upon completion, some of these specific skills could then be taken outside the raids for general use (Albiet at a less efficient strength than say a raid skill used in its specific raid, some of them would/could be disabled in some raids to preserve balance.) Instead of hard locking these rewards behind the highest difficulty to start, make them by far more efficient to achieve and level by taking the highest route - FFXI's Ambuscade comes to mind. You can then supplement bragging-rights rewards in the form of glamours or furniture items as per normal, and leave gearing to a more universal approach.

More specifically, the use of these skills will likely need to be implemented at some point to keep raiding from becoming too familiar- as there are only so many enemy-to-player mechanics they can produce, they may as well make a progression mechanic out of them. It would be best if they were to implement them as a teamwork-based mechanics who's functions are based on roll (Less Skewer, more Thrown Weapon type abilities, that are shared between everyone of a particular role.)

Anyways, this could be expounded on, at a later date.

Edited, Aug 21st 2016 1:33pm by Hyrist
#69 Aug 21 2016 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
****
5,722 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Which means in your experience you don't. However I can see pretty readily on reddit and OF people complain about and even asking SE to add incentives for successful clears aside the trial roulette bonus and heck even to the point of asking for MORE punishment for people who leave a roulette or queue and do nothing (especially mentors), so while your experience have been favorable, I can definitely see it happens quite a lot not just to myself.

I'm not saying that it never happens. I am however wondering if the vocal minority isn't exaggerating the issue into something bigger than it really is.


Theonehio wrote:
Normally you see people leave these particular ones after the fact because they no longer need it or want to deal with the wipes that happen..and I sincerely hope you're not going to say people don't wipe in final steps.

No one is saying that either. Yes, groups wipe on Final Steps. Especially in the first week or two when it was new and many people were barely geared for it. Most people understand that though. In my experience it's rare for people to actually drop when they don't like something. Especially something as short as a trial.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#70 Aug 21 2016 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Karlina wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
Which means in your experience you don't. However I can see pretty readily on reddit and OF people complain about and even asking SE to add incentives for successful clears aside the trial roulette bonus and heck even to the point of asking for MORE punishment for people who leave a roulette or queue and do nothing (especially mentors), so while your experience have been favorable, I can definitely see it happens quite a lot not just to myself.

I'm not saying that it never happens. I am however wondering if the vocal minority isn't exaggerating the issue into something bigger than it really is.


Theonehio wrote:
Normally you see people leave these particular ones after the fact because they no longer need it or want to deal with the wipes that happen..and I sincerely hope you're not going to say people don't wipe in final steps.

No one is saying that either. Yes, groups wipe on Final Steps. Especially in the first week or two when it was new and many people were barely geared for it. Most people understand that though. In my experience it's rare for people to actually drop when they don't like something. Especially something as short as a trial.


Just this morning when a friend asked if I can do trial in progress as people bailed within the first few minutes, and ironically, I ended up in a DIFFERENT party that had people bail of them too. I even solo queued Final Steps of faith on tank just to see how often things go down hill.

http://i.imgur.com/Kxeb2oE.jpg

And here's solo queue, where the person chose to run away with the akh morn and rest of the party chased after and killed themselves.

http://i.imgur.com/3jXFMyM.jpg

So while it seems like an exaggeration, it really isn't. It IS pretty bad, so you're very lucky you don't run into it. That's why I always question the whole "casual/midcore" argument when it comes to the raid scene when I have so many videos, screenshots and parse logs of pickup groups on Sarga that were doing Coil, even back when we could only gather via shout/chilling in Wineport.



Edited, Aug 21st 2016 1:58pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#71 Aug 21 2016 at 5:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Hio, I've come to think that you play FFXIV in some kind of alternate universe where everyone loves raiding and casual/midcore players suck.

The stuff you complain about being so bad... I just don't see it. Most people I encounter are perfectly skilled and capable. Most duty finder parties I enter are totally fine. Very few trips through Final Steps end in people leaving.

Also, most people have no desire to do savage-level raiding, and they don't really care about rewards so much as whether they'd be productive and/or have fun.

Hyrist wrote:
If PVP is a system that merits itself its own additional ability set - then why don't we have Raid skills


I think you're on to something. I've actually thought about this very thing, and this could be an easy way to make rewards more interesting and make the game feel more "horizontal" for those who need that kind of thing.

____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#72 Aug 21 2016 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
Yeah, I still stand behind my belief that most players are actually pretty chill (presuming you treat them like actual people). While I won't deny coming across the occasional rage quitter or know-it-all-yet-do-nothing-well, they've largely been a tiny percentage of my gaming PUGing.

Either way, part of the "What do we do?" issue can be traced as far back as the character creation process. XIV and XI are in generally unique positions in that we don't lock a character to a single class. If XIV loosened the reigns a bit on cross-class abilities, you might open the door for some more interesting play styles, assuming they get over the growing ability bloat issue. Meanwhile, most other games try to make it so gearing one job/class per raid cycle takes you 2-3 months, in part due to lockouts. When I consider the effort beyond leveling yet another character, doing all the quests/stories, and potential endgame grinds (like merit points) on top, most of these other titles usually just have me sticking to one character even though I'd be curious to try others if they weren't so stringent on the time requirements. Are you going to have people who are like, "I'm a Paladin and will only play such!" and hypothetically grind out everything in a day/week/whatever? Yes. And that's their own **** fault for being impatient and inflexible. Meanwhile, there's so much potential being lost in not letting us really customize ourselves.

The philosophy of it being okay to occasionally let a character be OP seems to be lost to today's MMO market. One guy who wrecks the **** out of dragons won't be as good as someone who spent the time training to annihilate undead. Yeah, part of this is fairly presenting such scenarios where certain specialties shine like that, but this is also where I say borrowing from the ARPG book of content randomization comes in handy, as well as striving to make the open world more dynamic with things like mob populations shifting beyond day/night/weather mechanics. Technically, dragon guy could and should be able to become as good as undead guy, but when you vary the world enough and make situations where **** retentive planning can't be relied on, it gets harder for there to truly be such a thing as the perfect party/set-up. Instead, it winds up more about covering the basics and hoping fate isn't unkind.

Yet, there's a part of me that wonders if tech hasn't caught up to my idealism.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#73 Aug 22 2016 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
Hio, I've come to think that you play FFXIV in some kind of alternate universe where everyone loves raiding and casual/midcore players suck.

The stuff you complain about being so bad... I just don't see it. Most people I encounter are perfectly skilled and capable. Most duty finder parties I enter are totally fine. Very few trips through Final Steps end in people leaving.


Nah, but then again, the OF I apparently don't read has plenty of topics on it and plenty of people for the past few years complaining about it to the point SE created the roulette system as one incentive of actually staying and doing older content - to the point they adjusted the alliance content so all bosses has a chance to drop every set of armor so people didn't bail out after a boss didn't drop a specific item..but you know, I'm just making things up, I even photoshop my screenshots too apparently.

It's funny, even in a few topics you've agreed with me but likely because you don't know my username there as I tend to word things differently when I post there, much like you yourself:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/302312-Unofficial-Census-2016-for-FFXIV?p=3823213&viewfull=1#post3823213

Tend to, you even love to throw around the word "casual/midcore" at me and anyone who has a different opinion/stance than you, but on OF you say discussions would go a fair bit differently if you stop doing it, so I already knew it was no secret you just want to adamantly state I'm wrong about anything and everything, but I just thought the contrast between our interactions here and OF in some topics a bit funny, but after all, you're a lot more "free" here as it only takes 1 report to get you banned from the OF if someone feels slightly upset.

Also:

Quote:
Most people I encounter are perfectly skilled and capable


It's funny - I'm classified as said "casual" because my play time per day that isn't even every day is usually 1-3 hours at best and I'm perfectly skilled and capable..yet I get classified, by you, as a "hardcore player" because I do content beyond fluff content. This is why I get confused when you define "casual/midcore players" and what their desires are, when I have so many logs/screenshots/videos from 2013-now that shows it didn't matter if you were "casual" or "a raider" that people preferred the coil difficulty and the early 2.x setup of content.

The stuff "i complain about" many do, which is why SE made plenty of the changes they did..or are you under the belief that they did it out of the kindness of their hearts?

You were wrong also, by the way. Most people were progression raiders, until Alexander Gordias 3 proved Yoshi took things in a completely weird direction that no one asked for. Everyone did the HM primals that dropped weapons and were part of the relic grind that benefited EVERYONE, that's progression. Everyone the Ex versions of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda for not only their accessories, that was current ilvl and some BiS, but also the ilvl90 weapon quest, some BiS (brd bow for example) that's progression. Everyone did Ex Moogle, Leviathan, Ramuh and Shiva, that's progression as they dropped current ilvl/slightly behind gear and weapons, that's progression. And most people, casual or not, did Coil because I promise you "enrage" and "sacrifice your caster (Turn 8)" weren't world first running strategy or general raiding strategies, meaning it came about from the more casual playerbase. But apparently non-"hardcore" players running end game content is imaginary.

You say people don't enjoy running savage level raids, but there's quite a lot of people with the Savage Coil title..but therein lies the whole issue: No one cares for Alexander Savage largely because it's the ONLY option for top tier content, whereas Savage Coil was optional. The rewards from Savage Alexander also is the reason even progression raiders don't like it but doing it just to have it cleared, especially with SE tossing out better 230/240/Augmented Lore weapons like candy, almost literally no reason to touch Alexander Savage.
____________________________

#74 Aug 22 2016 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Nah, but then again, the OF I apparently don't read has plenty of topics on it and plenty of people for the past few years complaining about it to the point SE created the roulette system as one incentive of actually staying and doing older content


What? Let's not be revisionist here. The roulette had nothing to do with people "leaving" and everything to do with long queue times for DPS.

Quote:
to the point they adjusted the alliance content so all bosses has a chance to drop every set of armor so people didn't bail out after a boss didn't drop a specific item..but you know, I'm just making things up, I even photoshop my screenshots too apparently.


... Which actually isn't a terrible thing, and certainly isn't a "casual" player problem. It's usually not the casual players who are obsessed with maximizing efficiency.

Quote:
It's funny, even in a few topics you've agreed with me but likely because you don't know my username there as I tend to word things differently when I post there, much like you yourself:


Not clicking your link, because I don't want to cloud my judgement of you either here or there. But if you're really that much more pleasant on the OFs, then why aren't you equally pleasant here? Also, I'm not surprised that I've agreed with you on the OFs. I've agreed with you here, too, though you're typically too stubborn in your responses to acknowledge it.

Quote:
you even love to throw around the word "casual/midcore" at me and anyone who has a different opinion/stance than you


I often describe the differences of needs between hardcore and casual/midcore players both here and on the OFs. I'm consistent in my view that SE needs to create a more suitable endgame for the casual/midcore crowd, and I'm also consistent on how SE can do that.

Quote:
so I already knew it was no secret you just want to adamantly state I'm wrong about anything and everything


Again, what???

Quote:
but after all, you're a lot more "free" here as it only takes 1 report to get you banned from the OF if someone feels slightly upset.


That has GOT to be a myth. I've gone back and forth with people over many pages on the OFs and not once have I ever been banned. And perhaps that just means that most people on the OFs are reasonable and aren't personally offended by what I say.

As far as me not being worried about bans here, that's also a dumb argument, Hio, and you should know better. You get that same protection here. The only thing I've warned you about recently is putting words in other people's mouths. And that's not a "you" thing. That is a form of harassment that has been the catalyst for people being muted or banned in the past.

Quote:
It's funny - I'm classified as said "casual" because my play time per day that isn't even every day is usually 1-3 hours at best and I'm perfectly skilled and capable.


No, Hio, I classify you as hardcore not because of how often you play (which is still far more than I play, both in volume and consistency), but because of how you play. How many days after Deep Dungeons came out did it take you to have like five different weapons? You do not play this game casually. It's actually kind of funny that you think of yourself as casual.

Quote:
The stuff "i complain about" many do, which is why SE made plenty of the changes they did..or are you under the belief that they did it out of the kindness of their hearts?


Funny you say this, because this is what I was telling you on these forums not too long ago. SE doesn't only listen to the filthy casuals. They've actually made changes to benefit more "serious" players.

See, we agree again!

Quote:
You were wrong also,


Doubtful, but let's see what you have to say.

Quote:
Most people were progression raiders, until Alexander Gordias 3 proved Yoshi took things in a completely weird direction that no one asked for. Everyone did the HM primals that dropped weapons and were part of the relic grind that benefited EVERYONE, that's progression. Everyone the Ex versions of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda for not only their accessories, that was current ilvl and some BiS, but also the ilvl90 weapon quest, some BiS (brd bow for example) that's progression. Everyone did Ex Moogle, Leviathan, Ramuh and Shiva


No, most people were not progression raiders. Most people in 2.x tried coil, found it to be way too punishing and gave up. And most people did the same with extreme primals. In fact, during 2.x, the difficulty of Titan HM forced many players to quit (similar to how savage raiding caused many hardcore players to quit), which is why the relic quests were dumbed down and made into a huge grind.

Seriously, let's not be revisionists here.

Quote:
You say people don't enjoy running savage level raids, but there's quite a lot of people with the Savage Coil title..but therein lies the whole issue: No one cares for Alexander Savage largely because it's the ONLY option for top tier content, whereas Savage Coil was optional. The rewards from Savage Alexander also is the reason even progression raiders don't like it but doing it just to have it cleared, especially with SE tossing out better 230/240/Augmented Lore weapons like candy, almost literally no reason to touch Alexander Savage.


And I agree with this. There are people out there who enjoy savage raiding, and if SE is going to insist on dedicating so many of its resources to this subset of players, then at least it should do a good job.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#75 Aug 22 2016 at 11:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Quote:
How many days after Deep Dungeons came out did it take you to have like five different weapons? You do not play this game casually. It's actually kind of funny that you think of yourself as casual.


The biggest thing about this is - it's casual content. Content reliant on RNG, even before the changes to it. It's no different than running Shiva Ex for an hour or two and coming out with every accessory back when they released it because people wanted those ilvl120 accessories. So based on this response, it would mean casual/midcore = not obtaining goals you set out for? Even looking on balmung I seen most people who haven't even touched Coil, let alone Alexander have 2 weapons within the first week as well and I can guarantee balmung's population is as casual as it can get if going by the standard definitions.

That's why I again, get confused whenever people toss the terms casual/midcore/hardcore because this isn't a hardcore game. It is EASY to clear this game's content and obtain what you want, which means I was indeed correct in assuming casual = choosing not to do something or taking months-years to obtain EASY TO OBTAIN gear? I don't get it, I'm not casual because I chose to do content with friends and finish something extremely accessible? Not sure how it suddenly goes from "You're not casual" to :"well you could be casual but you're not THIS type of casual" essentially. By barebones definition I am indeed casual. I said it before and i'll say it again, it kind of seems like the "filthy casuals" in your words are such because they don't bother.

Also why do you think DPS had long queue times pre-roulette? because no one was and will do content they don't need or want to do. Roulettes offer bonuses FOR doing said content, if it was designed purely to help with DPS queues...wouldn't they not offer reward and people simply choose to do roulette to see where they land for shiggles?

Quote:
No, most people were not progression raiders. Most people in 2.x tried coil, found it to be way too punishing and gave up.


You did, not "most people." As per Yoshida's own words:
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/08/yoshida-talks-final-fantasy-xivs-alexander-fan-feedback-and-the-quest-for-an-easier-raid/

Quote:
The player feedback that we received with the Binding Coil of Bahamut series was they wanted more challenge, they wanted more difficult content,” Yoshida explained.


In your words, however, you state that it was "only raiders/hardcore players", so if that's true, then that means this whole time he's only listened to an "extremely tiny portion of the community" since 2013. That is very hard to believe, because if "most people gave up"..this means yoshida is lying.

Quote:
“However, we heard feedback from players that now the Savage Mode of Alexander is too difficult. For the next one we’re trying to make it easier because what we want to do is bring more people in to challenge this raid content.”


Considering most people did Coil (and cleared it) they did Alexander Savage Gordias (the first one), meaning when we all hit A3S wall, THAT is when people gave up on raiding, because in his own words:

Quote:
“However, we heard feedback from players that now the Savage Mode of Alexander is too difficult. For the next one we’re trying to make it easier because what we want to do is bring more people in to challenge this raid content.”


Coil was easy to get into, Coil was easy to progress. It may not have been for YOU, but people in the raid scene know full well that A3S is the very cause of the amount of people doing raids significantly dropping off. A1S and A2S were the same as their Normal encounter with a few changes, nothing big enough to suddenly go "well **** this ****, too hard." A3S however, even A3 NORMAL people had trouble with (and still does today.)

When midas rolled around 6 months later, no one was really up for it but the dedicated world first groups and the usual people looking for something to do, it wasn't like Coil where, despite your belief, people were itching to get in and get the new gear. Unless your server community was really prone to giving up, that definitely wasn't the case on Chocobo nor Sargantanas.
____________________________

#76 Aug 22 2016 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Again I must disagree, Thayos. As there is an underlying hypocrisy in the hardcore stance yet to be addressed here.
One of the major justifications for a lot of heated rhetoric against casual content or anything that is not high endgame is that raiding is supposed to be 'core content'. To the point of arguing against the development time used in such ventures.

Pair this with the continued evidence depicting hardcore raids being at best a niche affair and you have pretty much a logical blockade. You either defend raiding as niche and attempt to preserve the playstyle, at the sacrifice of development attention towards other activities better geared for the wider audience, or you forfeit the rigid stance on difficulty and accessibility to have it truly fit the definition of core content, which would be measured by its appeal and participation (which it is fundamentally lacking).

On that point there really is no middle ground. The rhetoric forces a black and white decision.

Personally the later appeals to me more for a multitude of reasons I can't really get into over the phone.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2016 1:31pm by Hyrist
#77 Aug 22 2016 at 11:39 AM Rating: Excellent
I think we are on the same page, Hyrist. I'm just saying of Yoshida is going to cling to raiding, then he might as well do it right.

And Hio, Yoshida clearly isn't speaking for all players in those posts you made. He is referencing the raid community, which the data shows is quite small.

Also, Hio, your argument that you can't be hardcore because the game isn't hardcore is completely flawed -- and you MUST know this. To better show why your argument is flawed, let's turn this around on make it applicable to me.

I'm a pretty avid runner. For a 37-year-old, I'd say I'm hardcore. I don't just run around my neighborhood, I'll actually drive one to two hours to go running on long, mountain trails. I'll do things that are a bit risky, such as try to run from my place to downtown Portland (20 miles away). I'm actually just about to head out and by some stability shoes to help me run through a small flareup of tendonitis, ha. Doing a long-distance relay later this week and hopefully a full marathon in early October. I watch what I eat and often plan my sleep/diet around running. So, yeah... hardcore.

A few weeks ago, I did a little 5k fun run in downtown Oregon City (took eighth overall, my first-ever top-10 finish). It was definitely NOT a hardcore run. The field was far from elite, and the course was quite difficult (lots of steps and uphill, not what you'd expect from a well-known 5k where people go to set PRs).

Does the fact that I ran in a 5k fun run make me any less of a hardcore runner? **** no. I still prepared for it as I would any other race, I ran just as hard, and my training/recovery regimen didn't change one bit. I prepared/ran just as I would for anything else, because I'm a hardcore runner, and that's what I do.

You're a hardcore gamer. It's crystal clear. Just because you're playing a game that wasn't designed for a hardcore audience doesn't diminish the fact that you're hardcore.

And that's not a criticism -- it just doesn't fit with your arguments here, so you deny it.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2016 10:52am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#78 Aug 22 2016 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
I think the question that remains, and therefore still the subject of debate is " right by who?" You and I may side with appealing to the majority. However, we have standing evidence right here on how quickly the majority is belittled and misrepresented - regardless of any baring in the realm of fact or reality.
#79 Aug 22 2016 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
That's really where SE or any other MMO dev holds all the cards. We can correlate our experiences all we like, but the moment anyone has a different one, there's conflict. Instead, they're capable of comparing people who've had active accounts after a certain piece of content's release and find out just how many cleared it. This is certainly important in gauging whether or not something needs nerfs or the reward system improved for the sake of expediency (often in part due to gear antiquity).

Now, you're far more likely to see midcore/hardcore people posting on forums like this or the OF. If time to play is limited, it's not much of a stretch that wasting time to Forum PvP is off the table for many. Meanwhile, you've got others who wanna be right even if being right is an entirely subjective matter. I won't profess immunity to this, instead reminding that I favor enabling content for more players than just focusing on a few. Especially so when said few only want whatever for negative reasons. There's a frequently made assertion that casual players are less knowledgeable about the game they play (as if "this is not fun" is non-viable feedback to some--remember, game, not job/work/chore/etc.). This goes on to the rhetoric about being lazy, wanting handouts, never listen, blah blah blah. Hio can dig up all sorts of complaint posts and be like, "THIS IS HOW IT REALLY IS!" when you've gotta stop and think those are just a small handful of people in a community of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of players. And you simply can not forget the fact some do it solely to be antagonistic.

I white knight for the casual, in part, because I do fall into that demographic from time to time, but also because a large number of friends I've made over time would qualify, too. It also "needs to happen" because silence has a bad habit of correlating to assent in this genre, and I don't believe "Quit if you don't like it!" is enough to send a message. So, the sooner these games are less about affirming caste systems, that there's only one right way to play, the better. Everyone understands that tough mobs who need lots of people to down can be fun. The rub is that some don't want to accept people want more than that, even going so far as to claim it would hurt their experience. Carrot, stick, etc.. And a little less worrying about people we'll never interact with are doing.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#80 Aug 23 2016 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,627 posts
Quote:
Quote:
but after all, you're a lot more "free" here as it only takes 1 report to get you banned from the OF if someone feels slightly upset.



That has GOT to be a myth. I've gone back and forth with people over many pages on the OFs and not once have I ever been banned. And perhaps that just means that most people on the OFs are reasonable and aren't personally offended by what I say.


It isn't a myth. I'm permabanned off the XI forums solely because I posted something unpopular, not even offensive or rule-breaking, and I'm far from the only one that has suffered this same fate. I don't know if the XIV forums are modded by the same people but I have heard similar sorts of reports.

Generally if they nuke a thread due to it getting too heated or something, they'll just ban the people in it that were either the most frequent contributors, or the most reported ones. I don't feel like they even actually look at the content of the posts, they just look at the reports/outcry.
#81 Aug 23 2016 at 8:13 AM Rating: Excellent
That is so weird. I guess I am incredibly fortunate! I don't post there often, but when I do, I definitely hold my ground if wrongfully challenged.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#82 Aug 23 2016 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Hyrist wrote:
is belittled and misrepresented


Oh that's just precious, clearly the "majority" are the ones being told should be kicked to the curb and "don't understand how the rest of the players play." **** you can't even admit to being a casual player without, well, you can see what happens. In your words of "reality", people ridicule and misrepresent raiders the most, especially the XIV community. I mean, really look at the subject at hand. Normally people knew the difference between "elitist" and other players, which is why I've always said you normally get a certain attitude from elitist, which people lump everyone into. But clearly not "all casuals" are the same since apparently I'm not casual despite fitting all definitions besides the fact I actually do content in this game. What's the difference between my 1-3 hours a day (not even every day) and someone else's 1-3 hours a day? The fact I choose to do every content in this game rather than shake my head and refuse to do things? o.O

Thayos wrote:
That is so weird. I guess I am incredibly fortunate! I don't post there often, but when I do, I definitely hold my ground if wrongfully challenged.


It's literally in their rules you can be banned if you do what I did in a few responses ago and posted a picture that simply showed someone's player name. The biggest issue with OF is they're inconsistent. You can load up plenty of topics and see people go at it hard, but if you say anything against XIV even if it's as simple as "this game is boring" you'll not only get attacked by the typical white knights, but you'll also likely get reported and thus trigger a ban, which isn't moderated, it's part of the software based on how many reports you get.

They THEN review it which is when people get permabanned or not. I know because the modified software SE uses the company I work for currently uses.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2016 10:50am by Theonehio
____________________________

#83 Aug 23 2016 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You can load up plenty of topics and see people go at it hard, but if you say anything against XIV even if it's as simple as "this game is boring" you'll not only get attacked by the typical white knights, but you'll also likely get reported and thus trigger a ban, which isn't moderated, it's part of the software based on how many reports you get.


Like I said, either I'm fortunate or I haven't been banned because I don't word my posts as attacks on other posters.

I've criticized the game plenty on the OFs though, just as I have here. I've especially criticized endgame, Diadem, "early pullers," the lack of FC content and SE's inability to retain new players. I've also called out people who distort the facts for the (alleged) purpose of trolling. Even then, though, I don't resort to namecalling or other juvenile tactics -- rather, I just take aim at what they've actually said and point out how it's wrong.

(Note: Nor have I ever reported anyone on the OFs, even when they resort to namecalling and what not. In fact, I've only ever reported one player for harassment in-game, and that was a guy in a DF party who started using racial slurs toward another player because of his name.)

Just like here, though, I don't shy away from controversial subjects on the OFs, and nobody has complained. Lucky and/or fortunate. I'll take either one.

And Hio, you're not a casual. Heck, I wouldn't even call myself a casual, and you're certainly more hardcore than I am. As I said up above, just because you're playing a game not designed as a hardcore haven doesn't make you less of a hardcore player. It just means you're out of your element, which is a probably a big reason why you don't like so many elements of the game -- which is what I've been saying for months, really. I think you'd be happier in a more hardcore game. But if you have friends who insist on playing XIV, and if you're just tagging along with them, then I understand your frustration.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2016 12:08pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#84 Aug 24 2016 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
And Hio, you're not a casual. Heck, I wouldn't even call myself a casual, and you're certainly more hardcore than I am. As I said up above, just because you're playing a game not designed as a hardcore haven doesn't make you less of a hardcore player. It just means you're out of your element, which is a probably a big reason why you don't like so many elements of the game -- which is what I've been saying for months, really. I think you'd be happier in a more hardcore game. But if you have friends who insist on playing XIV, and if you're just tagging along with them, then I understand your frustration.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2016 12:08pm by Thayos


No, but one of the "requirements" of being casual is having limited playtime. I don't play any longer than most casual players I know or read about that get classified as casual. That's why I asked what makes my 1-3 hours a day different from someone else's 1-3 hours besides the fact I actually choose to do other content than sit around and say it's too hard or inaccessible. I don't think the fact I can clear easy and scripted content makes me hardcore, especially when you can't consider someone hardcore for clearing Hard Mode dungeons because they're tagged "Hard Mode." My "Frustration" comes with the fact they had a perfectly fine raid design that just needed the difficulty to be upped (Coil), because it not only had a better story (which Yoshida admitted at Gamescom), but the raid design was far better.

Otherwise, this game doesn't really have hard content. A game designed around ilvl strictly is going to always be in a weird spot because once you're at a particular ilvl, everything is like encountering a slime in Dragon Quest, however prior to that, everything will seem like walking outside of a starting town and bahamut suddenly laying waste to everyone - you stand no chance.

The reason I don't like many elements of this game is because: They're poorly done. No matter how much someone may want to defend this game, they were not hiding the fact they were building it after WoW and heavily inspired by WoW.

yet WoW did the systems better. It's not even because the game was designed on the PS3 because FFXI has better systems and it was designed in the late 90s. When you look at the game as not just a player, you really sit and think:

"Do they come up with these great ideas then decide how they can ruin it?"

A lot of systems literally are so good in concept and initial implementation until you hit the "Okay what the ****" part of the system, for example weekly lockouts or REMOVING loot because you SO MUCH AS DARED to help someone else clear after you've cleared it. That's just the proof that the system isn't really designed for concurrent players which is why I always said, and get ridiculed for, that if they seriously think keeping the same formula will work a 2nd time for them with 4.0, they're in for a big surprise. There's plenty of people who perfectly love XIV, but 3.0 woke a lot of people up to the way this game really is. So while difficulty and whatnot may change for 4.x, if they keep the same format just with swimming added and it serves NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER to content despite being one of the focused elements, then I don't know what to so say.

Even XI incorporated elements of the game into the dungeons but then again, XI's dungeons weren't literally hallways people complained about with FFX/X-2/XIII. ****, if XI had flight you can guarantee some of the dungeons would have been designed with it in mind, I sit and look at HW and see not one dungeon where you have to fly through it or realistically use the flight mechanic for anything other than faster travel, which is fine, but I do remember yoshida saying something about a grand aerial battle, probably against Shinryu, but somehow I'm doubting that since unless there's a sudden "NOPE DRAGONSONG WAR AIN'T OVER YET!" I don't see us having an encounter with any more dragons...

I mean, Weeping City could have been perfect for flight (since it's the last alliance based content of 3.x unless they going to "delay" the expansion again) as there's CLEARLY numerous paths designed in the ..well, city, but we're stuck in one hallway. Which I've said before and I'll always say because of the sheer hilarity of it, but people used "Long hallways" as a reason to hate the XIII games but praises XIV's content design which is literally one long hallway with vendors on the side to enter instanced content. I don't know though, I get ridiculed for it but it's very easy to see that Yoshi and SE knows they don't have to do much to keep people happy. I'm not a person who complains about a cash shop as I actually play and have played many MMOs, but the sheer fact they could have introduced a lot of the Mog Station elements as content rewards, actual content, proves it.

Same with the primal birds/ponies. What prevented them from using the Golden Saucer to introduce battles where you can win them instead of forcing us into 99% obsolete content? The Golden Saucer from VII had a battle arena where you obtained rewards based on points gained, so you'd assume that would have been a feature. Like I said, my "hate" for this game's elements is they really don't seem to be trying with a lot of it as so many other games, their own 2 other MMOs included, does things better that this game should do FAR SUPERIOR in every way.



____________________________

#85 Aug 24 2016 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
No, but one of the "requirements" of being casual is having limited playtime.


Totally not true.

I had friends who pretty much LIVED in FFXI, and they were some of the most casual players I knew. You see, it goes both ways. People who play more often are more likely to be hardcore, while people who play less often are more likely to be casual -- I believe these things are often true.

HOW you play matters more than how often you play. It matters even more in FFXIV, which is a game that literally wasn't designed to be played for long periods of time.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#86 Aug 25 2016 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
******
49,570 posts
Simmer down, you're all filthy casuals.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#87 Aug 25 2016 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Thayos wrote:
HOW you play matters more than how often you play. It matters even more in FFXIV, which is a game that literally wasn't designed to be played for long periods of time.


Which means in the end I was correct. "Casuals" are the ones complaining every content is too hard because they choose to not "git gud" as Yoshida himself said? Since there's really only 2 styles of gameplay in XIV:

Those that actually choose to learn how to play the game
Those that just choose to get carried or learn nothing beyond how to hit 123 and sit around and say every content is inaccessible because as a 60 dps with lore gear they still pull 100 dps under level 50 numbers. (Not even being snarky here, at ilvl 220+ you should not be dpsing under 700 when it's proven and designed for every content for dps to pull around 1200+ minimum given the overall party dps numbers needed to clear certain ex primals and savage.)

There's no in-between, and if you read the latest famitsu interview (http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/26114162.html ), even Yoshida said it's heavily black & white when it comes to player gap (as a tl;dr on that section) especially compared to the level 50 days because jobs changes quite a bit once you hit 60.

Quote:
It matters even more in FFXIV, which is a game that literally wasn't designed to be played for long periods of time.


Indeed, which is why every piece of content is exactly the same and seriously won't continue to work because sooner or later your playerbase will get fed up, we've all seen it in the extended time between between 3.0 > 3.1, so regardless if the game is meant to be played or not for long periods of times matters not when you run out of things to do. There are some people who don't go through all of the story in the same patch cycle, but if you play for any period of time, especially longer than an hour, unless you purposefully avoid doing it, you can get through this game's story, especially on a new patch, extremely quickly, without skipping text.

Take for example 3.2 and 3.3, that had the fewest actual MSQ addition, people still aren't done with it simply means they're CHOOSING not to do it, and if CHOOSING not to do something = Casual, then indeed I am not casual, but the fact I took the time and effort to learn how to play the 3 main jobs I do and more than capable of clearing content, simply makes me competent, not hardcore, because if this game was XI where you can go off and solo ADL prior to ilvl on jobs that aren't PUP and BST, that makes you hardcore, but in a game where content gives you so many hints, telegraphs and handholding for 99% of its content? Can you really consider anyone hardcore outside of people who run for world first every even 6-7 months?

Also:

Quote:
Totally not true.


Every time the argument crops up on any forum, people almost always state "Don't have time"...so...

____________________________

#88 Aug 25 2016 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Which means in the end I was correct. "Casuals" are the ones complaining every content is too hard because they choose to not "git gud" as Yoshida himself said? Since there's really only 2 styles of gameplay in XIV:


This is called moving the goal posts. It has nothing to do with the fact that you can be hardcore and only play up to a few hours per day.

Quote:
Can you really consider anyone hardcore outside of people who run for world first every even 6-7 months?


Yes, for reasons I've already explained enough.

Edited, Aug 25th 2016 11:28am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#89 Aug 26 2016 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Simmer down, you're all filthy casuals.

I'll have you know I took a nice, long shower this morning!

As for the "time" debate, it also boils down to how efficiently the time you have can be utilized. For those who don't have to wait for queues due to readily available friends, you can get a lot done in 1-3 hours. For others, simply waiting to play can be the brunt of your play time, itself. I'd nitpick that if you're playing every day, especially for at least 3 hours, you're probably not actually casual.

"Can I do XYZ whenever I'm in the mood to?" is another aspect of it. Someone who plays at a server's peak time will have a different experience than one who doesn't, for example. And that's one of my bigger issues replaying XI at the moment. If I miss the 8pm-11pm EST window, I may as well be looking for stuff I can solo since the JPs won't want my gaijin *** later in the evening.

Edited, Aug 26th 2016 7:46pm by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#90 Aug 26 2016 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Seriha wrote:
I'd nitpick that if you're playing every day, especially for at least 3 hours, you're probably not actually casual.


Yeah, which is why I always say it gets confusing when people say "limited time" is part of being casual, then all of a sudden if you happen to fit that category "no no, wait that's not casual at all!" As if the "casual" argument is just more of a convenience thing rather than actual reason as to why they can't do content ("I don't want to or not skilled enough" is perfectly ok to admit.)

Considering the alt I play most that's on NA datacenter is on Balmung and I noticed quite a lot of people play far more than 'hardcore' players yet they don't actually do content most of the time. **** they play more than I do which depending on my current progression is usually 1-3 hours a day every other 2-3 days since it takes almost no time at all to get 450 lore (it really doesn't) and considering 99% of this game's content base is casual and honestly hands you the gear if you actually take the time to learn it, really hard to consider anyone but world first runners as hardcore players since most raiders that came in from 2.x did Coil, which wasn't "hardcore" in any shape or form, since Coil had the higher PUG rate and even strategies that the "casual gamers" thought up because no progression raider would ever support an enrage method of clearing content when you can clear the same encounter 2-3 times in the time it takes to do 1. That's why A4S was so controversial because one method is literally to kill yourself, that's terrible design.

Quote:
"Can I do XYZ whenever I'm in the mood to?" is another aspect of it.


Which is why even Yoshida says in terms of the JP populace it's not really a matter of "Casual/Hardcore", because with XIV IN PARTICULAR, it literally comes down to your personal choice, not because you define yourself as "casual" or "raider" because all of a sudden people want ilvl235 weapons but didn't want to do Nidhogg Ex and now people want ilvl240 weapons and still somehow can't pull more DPS than tanks. It's depressing all around honestly.

____________________________

#91 Aug 27 2016 at 10:08 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Which is why even Yoshida says in terms of the JP populace it's not really a matter of "Casual/Hardcore", because with XIV IN PARTICULAR, it literally comes down to your personal choice, not because you define yourself as "casual" or "raider" because all of a sudden people want ilvl235 weapons but didn't want to do Nidhogg Ex and now people want ilvl240 weapons and still somehow can't pull more DPS than tanks. It's depressing all around honestly.


Nail on head.

I mean, I guess we could pick an arbitrary number of hours spent participating in 'endgame' events, but people have different goals and differing amounts of time to spend grinding toward them. For perspective, I have as much time now in a week to play as I used to spend daily back then.

I wouldn't consider myself 'hardcore' by general measure but based on how much of my free time I do commit and how much more focused it is on making progress, I'd say I'm more hardcore now than I ever was. That and the discrepancy between what grind used to mean and what it means today...

I think that the underlying issue in assembling groups that players don't like is more a cause of a shift in mentality rather than poor development. Players these days have far more tools to take advantage of the social aspect of the game, but they choose not to. I guess that's why I'm not really sympathetic.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#92 Aug 28 2016 at 1:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
It's mainly why I've been so big on the "type" of endgame that's available. Because when you get down to it, if the PUG scene dictates harder content maybe sees a 1 in 3 clear rate (or worse), you're not going to be wild about participating in that content the Nth time when it's supposed to last 3 months or more. Reasons for failure will include first-timers simply not knowing what's up, people who DO know what's up not bothering to instruct, people who quit or play half-assedly when the group isn't vets, and people who just generally think others will pick up their slack regardless of their personal skill and gear level. On the other end, you'll have some who think they do know what's up, but give bad instructions or not know how to adapt (if DPS is lacking, for example). The ragers suck, and make it difficult to really want to reward their behavior by trying to tough it out, too. And yes, sometimes people are simply derp.

This is the dark side of forced social interaction. It's why some have thrown their hands up and want nothing to do with it if they can help it. Being all, "Oh, just suck it up!" does nothing to solve the problems of why they happen or the general inevitability of content repetition. It's not really a choice at this point, but more a predicament of strong-armed coercion because certain things, usually the best, have no alternative source.

Overall, it's why I pine for multiple paths. Don't like X? Do Y. Don't like Y either? Do Z. Like X and Y? Do them. Like Y and Z? Do those. Like all 3? Have at it. Accessibility should be a thing so someone can at least try each once to see if they like it, but end of the day, if someone only does Z, that should be cool. Right now, MMOs are more about being only X and it seems devs are too timid to branch out.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#93 Aug 28 2016 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
To be fair, it seems like Deep Dungeon does have a hardcore path past floor 100, by what they are advertising.

However they're doing with that what they should be doing with raiding: Making the hardcore aspect challenge/bragging rights only. They're so afraid of offending 1% of their base that they're too fearful to do what they did do back when the game was in its neo-honeymoon period.
#94 Aug 28 2016 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,540 posts
Seriha wrote:
people who DO know what's up not bothering to instruct, people who quit or play half-assedly when the group isn't vets


I've got a bit of a problem with this bit right here. Unless it's right after a patch and no one really knows the mechanics of a new fight, there is no excuse whatsoever for not know a fight before going in. It takes next to no effort to read a wiki or watch a video. Pure laziness is the only reason not to know mechanics ahead of time.
#95 Aug 28 2016 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
Turin wrote:
Seriha wrote:
people who DO know what's up not bothering to instruct, people who quit or play half-assedly when the group isn't vets


I've got a bit of a problem with this bit right here. Unless it's right after a patch and no one really knows the mechanics of a new fight, there is no excuse whatsoever for not know a fight before going in. It takes next to no effort to read a wiki or watch a video. Pure laziness is the only reason not to know mechanics ahead of time.


People like going in blind, which I fault no one for as I don't mind if I go in blind but...

yeah...if you're going into 1month - 3 year old content and you keep wiping us, it's honestly not our job to teach you when it takes a few minutes (if that) to get a quick overview so you know what could happen. You learn better as you do, but getting caught off guard by everything including raid wiping mechanics (like running from nidhogg's akh morn even in normal mode will force him to target people at random after you die) is just....

That's exactly why people bail out instantly on certain trials/dungeons because there's mechanics you can't always carry people through.


____________________________

#96 Aug 28 2016 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
I agree with Hio.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#97 Aug 28 2016 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
Turin wrote:
Seriha wrote:
people who DO know what's up not bothering to instruct, people who quit or play half-assedly when the group isn't vets


I've got a bit of a problem with this bit right here. Unless it's right after a patch and no one really knows the mechanics of a new fight, there is no excuse whatsoever for not know a fight before going in. It takes next to no effort to read a wiki or watch a video. Pure laziness is the only reason not to know mechanics ahead of time.


As some noted, there are people who do like to go in blind, not dissimilar to those who hate spoilers, and it's the very nature of forced repetition that introduces the conflict between those who do and those who just want to get it over with because it's no loner new/fun to them. In general, I'm a big proponent of any game not needing outside resources to truly understand what's up, and if you've got some insta-fail mechanics tossed into your combat, then it needs to be obvious without being punishing (let's say less than a 3s reaction time).

Videos or attempts at guides also aren't always going to properly convey what's going on. If you're a healer, something filmed from the perspective of a DPS probably isn't going to be as informative. Just as someone who mains a healer may not understand how to employ a particular job's rotation to maximum effect while trying to react to stuff. "Every little bit helps!" is certainly a comforting sentiment to cling to, but again, just as some don't bother to haunt forums, what makes it obvious they're really going to know a particularly difficult boss is ahead and spend another 10-15m trying to wrap their head around potentially incomplete information?

You can't just segregate newbies into newbie-only parties, if attempting a solution. Eventually you'll run out of newbies and the queues will just get longer. Assert laziness, sure, but I could equally assert a lack of patience for those who just want everything perfectly lined up for them. In the end, it reeks eerily of not really enjoying the so-called challenge as much as the carrot at the end of the stick. And when a game is making one legitimately unhappy when playing it, then something's up. And it's not automatically the fault of one's peers.

Either way, you really can't just assume everyone learns the same way. It's a problem RL teachers face daily. And just as a student sometimes doesn't immediately "get" something, sometimes it's better to hear it from their peers in the moment. If one isn't even willing to get to that point, then yeah, such players are part of the social problem whether they like it or not.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#98 Aug 28 2016 at 7:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,804 posts
I have all the patience in the world, but I also know with MMOs and RPGs in general, people tend to look up resources because I can assure you Skyrim for example of an offline title doesn't lay out all of the knowledge and what to do/get/where in-game and people usually consult external resources especially if they want to see if a quest is opened up or completed based on certain requirements and what they are. MMOs usually have forum communities with sections dedicated to guides for a reason.

Rotations for example you can't just spout off in the heat of things or before you go into a Level 60 trial or alliance content. By time you hit the level and ilvl, you should know how to play your job. You have access to sooooooo many training dummies from certain camps, to personal houses to a whole content dedicated to it by talking to an NPC outside of the level 60 hub.

I don't mind teaching people, but people have to teach themselves, which is a large reason why there's a "rift" between players to begin with because it becomes very obvious when it's just laziness rather than "avoid spoilers." This isn't FFXI where there's story content tied to the battle so looking up a very small overview of the fight you queued into isn't going to spoil anything.

"Akh Morn? OMG!"
"SUPER JUMP? OMG!"

I like doing things blindly but by time content is so old that you expect people to at least research....do some research. It's new to you but there's a good chance 6/8 people landed there in a roulette and do not want to spend that time wiping endlessly when all they wanted to do was their roulette for the day and go to work/school/sleep lol.
____________________________

#99 Aug 28 2016 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Seriha wrote:
As some noted, there are people who do like to go in blind, not dissimilar to those who hate spoilers, and it's the very nature of forced repetition that introduces the conflict between those who do and those who just want to get it over with because it's no loner new/fun to them. In general, I'm a big proponent of any game not needing outside resources to truly understand what's up, and if you've got some insta-fail mechanics tossed into your combat, then it needs to be obvious without being punishing (let's say less than a 3s reaction time).


3s reaction time is excessive. My background is mostly fighting games where reactions are measured in 60ths of a second, but even in my old age 3 seconds feels like forever.

For the sake of perspective, the GCD for WoW is 1.5 seconds(prior to reduction from haste). I would hope that if anyone realized that they pressed the wrong button the instant it was pressed, could correct that by the time the GCD was up. If they couldn't then I wouldn't say that I don't want to play with them, but I have no expectations for them ever being able to clear 'difficult' content.

I feel like you undermine yourself in almost encouraging poor play style if you reward players gear that allows access to difficult content simply because they were able to overcome something trivial by most standards. Not a good look for the players, the game or even the genre as a whole in my opinion.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#100 Aug 28 2016 at 11:45 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,143 posts
The time window includes what you do after. Since this isn't a fighting game, you can't block/jump/dodge/cancel or whatever. If you've gotta run to a certain spot to avoid the splat, it's probably safe to assume most will need at least a second to acknowledge something is about to happen, and that's not including latency issues. Ranged classes often have it easier in this regard, but melee not so much.

And I'm not really undermining ****. I poke at the hornet's nest of the hardcores because they're a ridiculously sensitive bunch terrified of the casual boogeyman traipsing onto their turf. My argument of self-containment would actually benefit in them in the long run, as well. Training dummies, as Hio brought up, don't teach you how to play well. They just sit there and accept damage. If players are supposed to be learning specific rotations we come to consider standard, then the game needs to be teaching that itself. And if you can't pass a specific task relative to that knowledge, then certain content should remain locked.

On the other hand, we gotta be mindful that enough is enough. 15+ step rotations aren't cool, and I've played too many of these games to see it's more common than it should be. Basically, everyone's going to have different levels of tolerance for high-demand input scenarios. If you're looking at a 10 minute boss fight with a 1.5 GCD and you're riding that hard, that's 400 potential inputs over that span before factoring in movement and oGCDs. I understand frustrations when things go south, truly, but some of these issues could be avoided if fair choice did exist.

Most of us here are probably old enough to recall that little pattern memorization game called Simon, right? I'd like to think I was pretty good at it, myself, and recall taking advantage of that at a semi-local pizza joint that offered rewards for various scores. Sometimes I'd watch my sisters play. Sometimes I'd watch strangers play. Some did well, some not so much. For those where memorization came easily, Simon was a game for them. Those same people that didn't do so well might totally hand me my **** at a game of pool or whatever else. MMOs aren't any different here, but I'm just emphasizing that a decade of playing Simon isn't cutting it for everyone, and getting dismissive because they want their pool-playing fairly recognized is just plain petty.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#101 Aug 29 2016 at 3:34 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,169 posts
Seriha wrote:
The time window includes what you do after. Since this isn't a fighting game, you can't block/jump/dodge/cancel or whatever. If you've gotta run to a certain spot to avoid the splat, it's probably safe to assume most will need at least a second to acknowledge something is about to happen, and that's not including latency issues. Ranged classes often have it easier in this regard, but melee not so much.

Average Joe's brain doesn't need that much time to process information, especially considering that if he's in an organized raid, he already knows what to expect. If you sat 1000 random people down at a keyboard and told them to press the spacebar when a certain letter flashed on their screen, they're all generally going to fall between that quarter to half a second response time.

They've already said that they can't increase frequency of player positional checks by the server due to stress, but we also know these encounters are designed with that consideration. Zero point three seconds. Whether you measure it in milliseconds or frames, the point at which Joe experiences deteriorated gameplay isn't approaching an entire second.

Quote:
And I'm not really undermining ****. I poke at the hornet's nest of the hardcores because they're a ridiculously sensitive bunch terrified of the casual boogeyman traipsing onto their turf.

As for the undermining, I was speaking about the developers. It goes against the idea of progression if devs use trivial content as a springboard to being ready to raid.

There is a reason why players in WoW are asked to prove they've cleared achievement(s) in order to receive an invite to a raid. It could just be me, but I feel it's at least a testament to a players ability to pay attention or at least be able to follow direction well enough that it's not wasting other people's time.

It's not so much that hardcore players want better rewards as much as it is them wanting the reward to be consistent with the challenge. Imagine winning a 10 dollar gift card for scoring 20 on Simon Says at your local pizza joint. Do you fault someone for balling up their face when they get a 15 dollar gift card for scoring 100?


Edited, Aug 29th 2016 5:48am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 128 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (128)