Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Yoshi-P's Thoughts on iLevel/Char Growth in FFXIVFollow

#1 Sep 22 2016 at 3:29 PM Rating: Excellent
A Reddit user translated this interview with Yoshi-P. This segment made me think of the ongoing conversation we have on this board:

Reddit thread is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/53vzbd/game_watch_interview_with_yoship_translation/?st=iteu7z9t&sh=8f88b611

Here, Yoshi further clarifies the progression decisions of his development team, as well as the nature of building a successful game for today's playerbase. I'm sure this will make certain people mad, but for others it's why we play.

*******

Q. There's something i was curious about asking, and you know how people on the internet occasionally say "There's nothing to do in FFXIV" and i think that's because FFXIV's end game has no character growth involved in it. I assume that's because those players into that sort of character growth may enjoy it, but new players will have a hard time catching up.

A. I consider "If there's some sort of character development, the players into that stuff will enjoy it" is a faulty expression. The current FFXIV allows you to reach the level cap at a comparatively fast pace and players who feel they are "released from the burden of leveling a job" won't be able to enjoy the game as much if there is some sort of element that requires you to spend time on building up your character before you do other content. FFXIV has a wide range of players who all have different tastes. It's not like everyone can keep their motivation to run towards a long term goal that is extremely far away to grow their character.

Q. So not having elements to "let your character grow" is intentional.

A. I feel like people who are saying there's nothing to do or they are bored, are people who prefer the "FFXI type" game where the game itself is like end content, where there are almost unlimitted amount of elements to grow your character and keep building up. I do understand their feelings, but as a game that needs to fight on the global scale and this era makes it very difficult for us to choose that railway as an option.

The same applies to how, having elements like ice and fire on your weapon and equipment is rather meaningless with our game design. If the game system has elements as a huge factor and let's say you face a boss who is weak against a certain element. Those who don't have the actions or weapons that are effective will need to start back from re-learning a certain move or go get that fire weapon that melts the boss. That being said, this is actually really fun if you get into it. You feel like you're getting stronger as you work hard for it and you feel more satisfaction after beating that boss with your new weapon. However, you need to put in a lot of time before you fight this single boss and if the next patch adds a boss with a different weakness, you have to start from scratch and learn another move and go get that weapon that the boss is weak against.

If this continues to go on, there will be a moment where you lose focus and at one point you collapse. That sort of game system is highly addictive with fear and uplift alongside each other with the merit where it's harder to get bored because it forces you to continue spending most of your time. But, people nowadays don't have that time anymore. If FFXIV had that old school type system, with how busy i am now, i wouldn't be able to play the game. I'm not saying it's outdated, and the coming era might prefer those types of games and they still have a potential to succeed by changing the business scheme, but like i said before, it just doesn't fit FFXIV.

That doesn't mean we aren't doing anything. Like the Zodiac weapons and anima weapons, we'd like to implement a "time to win" type route, but that will not be the pillar of the game, not in FFXIV at least. This is just an imagination, but 10 years into the future we might shift into a team consisted of members who all truly love FFXIV and we might take our risk to release an expansion with that kind of character development involved in it, but at the moment it's impossible.

Q. So you're saying, not all the current players want a strong character build element in the game.

A. Even if we did change our policy, starting with new players having a hard time getting into the game, a majority of the current players will also be like "I was only able to keep playing because of the current system!" and the problem is, those people don't raise their voices and log in normally or just fade out after getting bored of the game. We need to watch out for those players with no voices. With the feed back, data from the logs, the duration of subs for each player in mind, it's a part of my job to balance the demand of the player base. You can't run an MMO with just "esthesiography", so it's like studying everyday and i'm always being sandwiched by both sides. I personally have an interest in trying out various things, but that by itself will just be my ego.

Back when we released "A Realm Reborn", it was a one shot deal so i looked at the market and situation then designed the game to revive FFXIV, but even now, it's not like i can just make 100% of what i'd like to design in this world of FFXIV, so i'm looking at the balance in between.

Not having an endless element to build on your character is intentional and it's designed so you build up your item level instead. You don't obtain that by gaining experience points. You can clear content, take one step at a time to gradually get stronger, or skilled players can challenge harder content to run in front of everyone else. After reaching as far as you can go, it's true there might be nothing for you to do. In that case you can play a different job, craft or gather or play other games while you wait for the next patch which is no problem at all. We have kept that stance from the beginning and it's the core of FFXIV, so we have no intentions of changing that in the future. Of course, we do understand you will get bored of refreshing your item level at one point, but no matter what sort of game design you choose, you'll eventually get bored. I personally want to present a speech on this topic if i have the opportunity because it's such a deep subject, but today i'll finish it here.

For further development of the game, we are okay with adding totally new attractions such as using a huge area to explore or creating an area where you get one shotted unless you take the enemies out one by one, even if you have the best gear, but we aren't in the stages to place this in the center as the core of the game.

Q. During the 14 hour broadcast, you said you wanted to create an unexplored zone. Is that what you're referring to?

A. It's still just an initial idea, but we do talk about wanting to have something like that. FFXIV is designed where each job has a certain amount of capabilities to do mostly anything with 1 job, so an 8 man party is actually really strong, meaning that it's difficult creating monsters that trouble an 8 man party. So the base ends up being mechanically heavy. Placing a monster who hits like a truck and has a lot of HP is questionable for something that is fun.
At the moment we are slowly experimenting with the exploratory missions to observe how players move about and we are piling up experience on whether or not it fits the FFXIV system. We do have conversations about how we want to do something that is a compilation of all of what we experimented with.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#2 Sep 22 2016 at 3:42 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,678 posts
I'll admit it. I had to look up the word "esthesiography".
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#3 Sep 22 2016 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
This interview makes me appreciate Yoshi-P even more.

I love the part where he talks about the addictive nature of horizontal games and how he doesn't want that to crutch FFXIV.

Some players may disagree with his belief that folks who "run out of things to do" should just take a break and come back at the next patch, but I'd rather have a game that encourages taking breaks rather than a game that encourages an unhealthy lifestyle.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#4 Sep 22 2016 at 9:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
448 posts
The issue I have with this is that, as an extremely casual player (3 hrs max per week), when I played, the game was still boring, and has little to do with the design philosophy of ilevel. The fact that I'm forced to replay a bunch of content which is extremely bad design (linear dungeon design, memorization...you get the point of as it has been discussed to death) just to get a number up in ilevel so I can do story content. It's extremely boring.

"Take a break and come back later" is something he also said, and while I don't like MMOs that force you to stay online, building an entire patch cycle around this idea is frankly questionable, especially since the game has become extremely stale in its patches for now.

So, this is has really nothing to do with XI. Also, citing the Zodiac system isn't really a good idea, as the system is just an endless grind much like certain Trial of the Magians were in XI.

Edited, Sep 23rd 2016 5:28am by xizro
____________________________
Korede..Millia moshido wa...
PLD/WAR 75/37 - Asura
#5 Sep 22 2016 at 9:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,134 posts
Eh, I think he's being too quick to dismiss post-cap variation among characters. Basically, it's possible to customize/grow without modeling XI's current JP system or even pre-ToAU merits. I mean, I get not wanting to feel so far behind, but you also get that "Nothing to do!" feeling if you're not about raiding/dungeon spamming, as those effectively ceiling other activities like crafting lower on the totem pole. And then there's the housing system...

People certainly won't like reading that he's okay with people taking a break/quitting for a certain period of time. That's effectively old-school MMO addiction rearing its head alongside the cancerous prestige element of gaming. But that's just the usual pleasing a small minority despite the majority that goes on in these games.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#6 Sep 22 2016 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Being bored is mainly a routine issue. People burn out at different times and levels, and there is plenty for a casual member to burn themselves out on - casual or otherwise.

The cost of having dependable content is that dependable content quickly gets routine. But, frankly, everything seems generic when you generalize. I've learned long ago that once someone loses that 'magic', that suspension of disbelief, not just in the fiction, but in the development and style of a piece of content itself, there's no saving them. That's something they have to analyze themselves and find a way to find that spark they lost. IMO, that's not solely the developer's responsibility. There are simply too many playstyles and interests to play toward.

We as older players, many of which remember the days of hardcore MMOs with nostalgia, will always come into content with slanted expectations. There's no exception to this - to live life and to have experiences is to develop bias, no matter what claims to or aims for suppressing such an ordeal. Yoshida isn't appealing to the old base, the crack-addict level expectation to play the game until it is literally unhealthy for us to do so and still not accomplish what we set out to do. He's trying to adapt a healthy gamestyle where hey, MMOs are a hobby you do with your other hobbies/games/etc. More trying to carve a niche in our routine than dominate the entirety of our pastime.

Given the pacing of my life of late, that's actually appreciated on my end.

The only real problem for me is that Diadem fell flat and its reward structure was nerfed so that it could never compete. And my criticism of the game is not that the content is boring, but that the reward structure itself seemed to be severely hampering and restrictive. In order to get a weapon worthy of doing any difficult content with, I needed either eight people or seven weeks of straight grinding, mini-raiding, and storing currency. It was ludicrous.

That's what killed the content for me. Not the content itself - it was the poor reward system that made the content redundant and boring. Anything done ad-nausem is going to be boring.

PtoD and a revisiting of the storyline rekindled my passions again though - and I was able to see what I had lost sight of before. I found that there were some things that changed when I wasn't looking for the better, and I was able to solve some of my progression problems through that. Suddenly, the game wasn't boring - I was getting things done and bypassing the grind.

I feel that Yoshida has done as much as he can to quash the false expectations of this game being someone's sole hobby - which was the older MMO approach. While I think there need to be more ways to break up the routine (we'll see how successful Wondrous Tales and Squadron break that up for me.) there are going to be some people still stuck in that rutted mentality that combat content should be sufficient to keep someone completely occupied in their content for the entirety of their playtime - a stance that I don't agree with, and that Yoshida has flatly said multiple times now, does not identify with the game's aims.

This did everything to affirm what I have said about this game's approach - and it fits my playstyle nicely.
#7 Sep 23 2016 at 11:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
This did everything to affirm what I have said about this game's approach - and it fits my playstyle nicely.


Yep, mine too.

As stated above, I'm glad that Yoshi recognizes the inherently unhealthy nature of games that cultivate addiction. And I think he has done a great job of making a fun game that allows for progression without making players feel like they MUST keep playing.

The game still needs more content like PoTD. The good news, though, is that more of this content appears to be on the way. I'm very curious to see how Squadrons/Tales develops over time, and I'm also excited to see the next phase of PoTD. I'm even looking forward to incremental changes with the Diadem. Although i235 gear isn't anything to get too worked up over, that's a great catch-up mechanic that will help at least one or two people in my weekly content static, which will help our group as a whole when we take on Sephirot and Nidhogg Ex. Heck, if we can catch up easy enough, maybe we can even try our hand with the first couple savage-level raid floors -- Yoshi said these are tuned to be easier than previous savage raid floors.

Bottom line, though, is that while it's OK for players to take breaks, there does need to be enough content in place so that people don't get completely bored and leave for months at a time. The ideal "break" would be short enough that people don't feel the need to unsubscribe. That's where I'm at right now. I look forward to clearing the bulk of a patch's content (which, to me, includes appropriately boosting the iLevel of my main job), and then I shift my attention toward other games (FFXI, Dragon Age Inquisition, Destiny) while logging into XIV for my weekly content static.

As a gamer, I'm very content with not always having to play just one game in order to keep my character adequately progressed. I can step on and off the treadmill whenever I want. That's a great feeling.

I also liked this comment:

Quote:
Even if we did change our policy, starting with new players having a hard time getting into the game, a majority of the current players will also be like "I was only able to keep playing because of the current system!" and the problem is, those people don't raise their voices and log in normally or just fade out after getting bored of the game.


I've always argued that hardcore raiders are the vocal minority, and that players like me tend to be the silent majority. According to Yoshi, I've been correct.

Edited, Sep 23rd 2016 10:49am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#8 Sep 25 2016 at 8:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Thayos wrote:
Heck, if we can catch up easy enough, maybe we can even try our hand with the first couple savage-level raid floors -- Yoshi said these are tuned to be easier than previous savage raid floors.


The Savage (and coil floors for that matter) have always been tuned to be really accessible on the first 2. Like any FFXIV content, once you know what mechanics do and what they are, in the case of Savage, you realize the reason they have the highest clear rates is because they're not THAT different from each other. Gordias 1 and 2 Savage are the same, the mechanic changes are minimal and obvious, as in in Gordias 1, you seen that each oppressor spawns 2 adds - Logically you'd think it's because in the original version (savage) there will be 4 bombs dropping. The puddles they drops change is that they actually linger instead of immediately disappear. Aside having a tank buster, which every Alexander final floor has on normal, it's the same encounter for 99% of it. Gordias 2 is the same trash waves, the spawn groups vary slightly and bombs being mishandled CAN actually wipe you instead of normal.

Fyi, as you don't raid you probably don't remember this but he stated Final Coil and Midas will be "easier" and he again said the same set of words for creator. So while in his words it should take "2 months for people who casual raid (i.e groups like mine)" it certainly won't last that long for the world first runners, meaning if what he says is correct, it'll be the same difficulty level as any of the raids, the main factor is if the 3rd and 4th floor/turn are properly balanced, since not even SE properly tests the content without use of god mode.

Midas 1 and 2 are largely the same as well, the mechanical differences while not as obvious as Gordias 1 and 2 aren't so big that their clear rates are low, compared to Midas 4 where Brute Justice actually has a final form you don't see in normal. Thordan Ex was designed to be slightly tougher than Gordias 1 savage since the weapon drops were to help people through A3S, so clearing Thordan Ex means Gordias 1 and 2 Savage wouldn't be hard to get through, since this game doesn't have varying difficulty, it's either easy or takes effort.

Quote:
I've always argued that hardcore raiders are the vocal minority,


The only instance of Yoshida ever referring to "Raiders" is when he stated the crafted ilvl250 gear will help them get into and through Creator Savage. He's never mentioned any playergroup in any of these interviews, not in the original Japanese at least. **** he even stated what every raider has stated that people love to deny, that Binding Coil has the highest clear rates of any end-game content they released. Even stated the raid finder also greatly helped in increasing Alexander Savage clear rates, especially the easy floors (1/2/5/6.)

The "vocal minority" are anyone who will actually speak up about problems in the game, rather than either just play silently or will just outright quit, something Yoshida also said in this interview. Not to mention, see how well it tends to go over whenever someone mentions they dislike something about the game or have complaints.



Edited, Sep 25th 2016 9:36am by Theonehio
____________________________

#9 Sep 26 2016 at 12:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Even if we did change our policy, starting with new players having a hard time getting into the game, a majority of the current players will also be like "I was only able to keep playing because of the current system!" and the problem is, those people don't raise their voices and log in normally or just fade out after getting bored of the game.


The majority he is referring to includes players like myself. We're the ones who are happier with the current system because we're not punished for being busy and not having consistent playtimes.

That makes the minority the progression-oriented players who want the game to be more time-intensive with more ways to advance their characters. And in FFXIV, that's the raid community.

So yes, the vocal minority are raiders, and the silent majority are the casuals/alienated midcore.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#10 Sep 26 2016 at 10:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Even if we did change our policy, starting with new players having a hard time getting into the game, a majority of the current players will also be like "I was only able to keep playing because of the current system!" and the problem is, those people don't raise their voices and log in normally or just fade out after getting bored of the game.


The majority he is referring to includes players like myself.


According to the ARR census data if you:

-Had a level 50 job, let alone two and you didn't come from 1.x

You were in the minority. The "majority" actually had/have no max level jobs let alone utilizes content regularly, even as recently as the HW census data, which shows the same as the ARR data, you're technically also in the minority.

It sounds more like you're twisting it a bit to fit your argument.

____________________________

#11 Sep 26 2016 at 11:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
It sounds more like you're twisting it a bit to fit your argument.


I have no need to twist anything. Just read Yoshi's passage in the OP.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#12 Sep 29 2016 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
6,630 posts
Interesting interview. I am surprised in the sense how frank of his assessment of the gamer audience from the perspective of a game developer. Normally you get a lot of hyping how he intends to please and excite; instead we get a statement that the average player has limited lime, and decision has to make to fit that accordingly. No Jobs/Bezos/Miyamoto sensation typical from a techie type manager and executive, but a simple and frank assessment of the business climate.

Also about getting bored about certain games, I think it is a general phenomena. I saw that in FFXI and many other games (even quick smart phone games). To be fair, I am bored with many games that I had played in the past (that includes FFXIV), but picking up the controller or keyboard playing them once a while do feel fun. I wouldn't able to stand play FFXIV or many other games daily, nor I will have the time to do so.
____________________________
Amanada (Cerberus-Retired) (aka MaiNoKen/Steven)
-- Thank you for the fun times in Vana'diel

Art for the sake of art itself is an idle sentence.
Art for the sake of truth, for the sake of what is
beautiful and good — that is the creed I seek.
- George Sand

A designer knows he has achieved perfection,
not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
#13 Sep 29 2016 at 11:47 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
It feels like much more these days than say back in the day and that's regardless if you're 'older with responsibilities' or not. Games these days just aren't designed like they used to be. Some are fun but some can easily suck the fun out of it due to poor design decisions, like many mobile games.

They're extremely fun but then it hits you with "energy" or tries to force you to pay if you want to keep playing. Not even to get an advantage, to just play normally lol.

For XIV, the clear rates shows they really need to redo this game's itemization. You can get through A12S without even the tome gear or sophia weapons, so the ilvl honestly is meaningless (mostly due to boring stats) so yeah, people (of all playstyles) get bored pretty quickly when nothing is really...different. As much as people in the community loved to rag on XI, I never felt bored even if I did the same thing a lot because I had more than enough options for entertainment that ALSO benefited progression. XIV is really 1 path, even when there's 3 paths in front of you, there's realistically only 1, that leads you to get bored pretty quickly in an MMO.
____________________________

#14 Sep 29 2016 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
6,630 posts
Theonehio wrote:
It feels like much more these days than say back in the day and that's regardless if you're 'older with responsibilities' or not. Games these days just aren't designed like they used to be. Some are fun but some can easily suck the fun out of it due to poor design decisions, like many mobile games.

They're extremely fun but then it hits you with "energy" or tries to force you to pay if you want to keep playing. Not even to get an advantage, to just play normally lol.

For XIV, the clear rates shows they really need to redo this game's itemization. You can get through A12S without even the tome gear or sophia weapons, so the ilvl honestly is meaningless (mostly due to boring stats) so yeah, people (of all playstyles) get bored pretty quickly when nothing is really...different. As much as people in the community loved to rag on XI, I never felt bored even if I did the same thing a lot because I had more than enough options for entertainment that ALSO benefited progression. XIV is really 1 path, even when there's 3 paths in front of you, there's realistically only 1, that leads you to get bored pretty quickly in an MMO.


That is why FFXIV is designed differently - for exactly the reasons of Yoshida said. Facts change, you have to your change mind; and the old days are long gone; I was 6-7 years old when I first played Pac Man, and I am 40 now!

Also there are badly designed games in the past. There are bad games now, and there were bad games in the past.

You can say itemisation does pose limitations, which I agree. However, with what system it can be replaced or can it be even be replaced, consider the stage of the game? It is easy to complain and point out mistakes. Workable solutions are far more practical, and also each solution will have its own drawbacks. There is no perfect solution. Whatever you do, there will be the flaws. The new solution may please some people, but will anger some too.
____________________________
Amanada (Cerberus-Retired) (aka MaiNoKen/Steven)
-- Thank you for the fun times in Vana'diel

Art for the sake of art itself is an idle sentence.
Art for the sake of truth, for the sake of what is
beautiful and good — that is the creed I seek.
- George Sand

A designer knows he has achieved perfection,
not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
#15 Sep 29 2016 at 2:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You can get through A12S without even the tome gear or sophia weapons, so the ilvl honestly is meaningless (mostly due to boring stats) so yeah, people (of all playstyles) get bored pretty quickly when nothing is really...different.


Good, so the stats on endgame drops now are just as meaningful as they were during the best years of FFXI.

I see no problem here.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#16 Sep 29 2016 at 2:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
That's why I liked the newer direction of XI, they just did it "too much too fast". For example Abyssea was based on a hierarchy spawn system, with accompanying rewards. So by time you're ready to spawn the "big boy" monsters, you've been gearing up through the easier spawns and one dropped items or seals to get better items. For example the empyrean gear went from +1 to +2. +1 version gave you new stats and were actually fine to use, +2 was your ultimate goal but required doing tougher enemies.

Just a reason to actually "spread out" would be so much better, since XIV is pretty cut and dry to the point. If you get full set of crafted 250 gear, you're actually set for 3.5 and 4.0 as 4.0 will come with more crafted gear and vendor gear selling no less than ilvl260 gear, meaning current ilvl255-275 gear serves no purpose as it was proven you can get through the toughest available content (Savage Creator) with minimal ilvl gear (higher helps but it's only the first 2 days so no one really has multiple Scripture pieces and few have sophia weapons.)

That's why Diadem was the perfect chance, since it comes in 3 tiers: Easy, Normal and Hard. Each tier could offer it's own set of rewards with the Hard mode, reserved for Free Company airships, offering the highest tier reward AND gives a reason for your FC airships to exist beyond bringing back mount token AND gives you content to do as a Free Company. Nothing is perfect, but they're so focused on making sure everything is balanced, any alternate paths tend to be developed around the highest path, for example Heavensward's relics were designed around the time and effort to get an Alexander Gordias/Midas weapon which it should have been designed as it's own thing.

____________________________

#17 Oct 05 2016 at 5:53 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
xizro wrote:
The issue I have with this is that, as an extremely casual player (3 hrs max per week), when I played, the game was still boring, and has little to do with the design philosophy of ilevel. The fact that I'm forced to replay a bunch of content which is extremely bad design (linear dungeon design, memorization...you get the point of as it has been discussed to death) just to get a number up in ilevel so I can do story content. It's extremely boring.

"Take a break and come back later" is something he also said, and while I don't like MMOs that force you to stay online, building an entire patch cycle around this idea is frankly questionable, especially since the game has become extremely stale in its patches for now.

So, this is has really nothing to do with XI. Also, citing the Zodiac system isn't really a good idea, as the system is just an endless grind much like certain Trial of the Magians were in XI.

Edited, Sep 23rd 2016 5:28am by xizro


I basically agree with this. I mean WoW basically has item levels/vertical progression system and quite frankly it is so much better in just about every way except graphics and the fact that it isn't FF. Even then it has become a worse game than it used to be in terms of how well designed dungeons are (exception somewhat being the new Kharazan) etc even if Legion was better than the last few expansions.

I have never actually disagreed with SEs decision to make FFXIV a generic WoW clone because quite frankly they could not really take the risk of flopping a second time with ARR. I think they did the right thing, but that does not make me happy about the state of the game. Especially considering they seem so extremely afraid of even developing the game years/expansions later and I am not even talking about horizontal progression because that has always been off the table since the day they decided to make XIV a vertical progression game. I think the biggest issue I have always had with the game is what I quoted above, it just isn't fun regardless of whether I have something to do or not because the content is just badly designed compared to the games they tried to copy. I think XIV with its patches are good at adding good amounts of content. I think they are extremely bad at designing content (this goes for mechanics of classes etc as well). Regardless of the idea that the game is made for people to not play it.

Also, I like that he alludes to/recognizes the fact that whilst it might have been the best choice for SE and the world it was in when ARR was developed he realizes it might not be the best anymore for new games and the future. Considering pretty much every single mmorpg that has any hype is just about as far away from XIV as it can be confirms just that. The mmorpg world is changing yet again and it is away from what XIV is. I remember Hyanmen always talking about how people who liked XI should go home because XIV and its style was the future. Well apparently the future didn't last very long lol. Anyway XIV is what it is and there are people who like that which is great, but I do think they have things to learn and though I do believe they should stay true to the people who enjoy what it is, they should still try to develop somewhat instead of being stuck like they have been since release.

One thing I would just add though is that I think what annoys me about what the genre has looked like for a long time is the idea that casual = no long term goals and easy content when for myself who is definitely a casual, casual just = short play sessions. A game can have many different approaches and for me as long as I can achieve things within short sessions I am good to go. A dungeon does not have to be 10 min of gameplay. It can actually be 5h of gameplay as long as I can quit in the middle of it and continue on the next time I play. It would be more fun for those who play a lot and would not necessarily need to scare away those who play less. I mean there are problems with every system, I just wish there was a broader view of what a being a casual likes and can do.

Edited, Oct 5th 2016 8:57am by Belcrono
#18 Oct 14 2016 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,995 posts
Thayos wrote:
This interview makes me appreciate Yoshi-P even more.

I love the part where he talks about the addictive nature of horizontal games and how he doesn't want that to crutch FFXIV.

Some players may disagree with his belief that folks who "run out of things to do" should just take a break and come back at the next patch, but I'd rather have a game that encourages taking breaks rather than a game that encourages an unhealthy lifestyle.



So stop playing game for 2 months but continuing paying for it? Makes sense, Or maybe that person wants to get their moneys worth.. i they dont feel that logging on everyday to spend 3 hours doing dailies then logging off is worth 15 bucks a month, if theyre gonna pay monthly for a game they want a REASON or CONTENT that would give hem a reason to play said game 24 hours a day everyday IF they had the time to do so (which no one would because they have to sleep and work but you get my point.... even if you factor in work and sleep that leave about 8 hours... I could spend 8 hours a day playing FFXI easily.. I cant think of ANYTHING in FFXIV that would keep me playing 8 hour straight after the initial grinding to the level cap part is over).
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 86 All times are in CDT
Lyrailis, squiress, Anonymous Guests (84)