Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Dragon Age III: InquisitionFollow

#502 Dec 28 2014 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
I was originally trying to romance Bull, so I ended up killing a LOT of Venatori with him, hoping he'd talk to me more. But it didn't happen until I took him dragon killing. And by then I was irritated by how few the conversation options were, so I went with Dorian.

But then Dorian had very little after that, too. Smiley: glare

I got everyone's personal quests, I think. At least, poking around the wiki doesn't show me personal quests I missed. I just don't think there was all that much to actually get.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#503 Dec 28 2014 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I thought the end was sort of abrupt and would have expected Skyhold and my growing legions to play into it all more. Even something like DA:O where you see groups of soldiers fighting Darkspawn and that sort of thing. DA:O made a point of showing that the battle at Denerim was more than four people having a dungeon run and DA:I didn't really express that which is strange since DA:I is all about raising up an army and DA:O is more of a scrappy band of companions style story. I don't know if they ran out of time, money or just didn't think of it that way.

However, I wasn't seriously disappointed and obviously feel the game is worth a second run through so, legitimate ending criticisms aside, I'm still having fun. But then Idiggory has previously tried defending DA2 to me and that game was complete ass so I suppose not every lid fits every pot.

Edited, Dec 28th 2014 11:10am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#504 Dec 28 2014 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
I appreciate DA2's issues. They're bad enough I never managed to finish a replay of the game. I like the cast of characters, and I like how well they actually fleshed out those characters. And the fact that they bothered to actually weave them into the story line and quests, so you'd get character development from most of the non-MMO-style quests.

That said, the repetitive environments, abrasive colors, poor main story, uninteresting combat, lack of isometric camera, and meh score really weighed on me too much for repeat play-throughs.

But, realistically speaking, I couldn't help but feel like the DAI environments were just as repetitive. Yeah, they were huge and you weren't necessarily in the same place over and over. But the elements were so reused that it felt that way. Seeing a Dread Wolf statue the first time? Was cool - made me wonder about ancient elves and whether or not I might see Dalish in the zone.

Seeing it the 47th time? Literal thought - "Ugh, not another wolf statue..."

Really, I'd say DAI has all the same issues, just manages to do it while being prettier and having slightly better combat (at the expense of WAY WORSE of a tactical camera), and a better central story (which I think would have been good if it was better written/executed).

But it also does way worse in the character department.

And one personal grudge - Dorian is clearly, 100%, written for a straight audience. He's the *** friend in a sitcom, who has that one episode with the really painful, tragic backstory, and is otherwise completely undeveloped and exists solely for sexual comments and banter. The kind of character that makes straight people feel bad for a few minutes, for some sympathyporn effect, but is otherwise around for comic relief. The one where you pair them against the parents-who-did-wrong-and-feel-bad and then show how everything is just so much better with forgiveness, lalala.

It's ********* and I'm actually ****** at David Gaider right now for that. It was so unnecesary - of ALL the things they could have made Dorian's personal arc about, all they could have done with the Tevinter aspect, they choose to make his character arc about his sexuality. And not just his sexuality, but about how straight people feel about his sexuality.

Ordinarily, when media pulls this stuff, I don't care so much. That's normal. But Gaider should know better, and the young, *** fanbase for the DA series is big, and that's so ******* disempowering and I'm angry with him right now.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#505 Dec 28 2014 at 4:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I love Blackwall, Dorian and the Iron Bull all standing around watching as the dwarf woman works the giant wheel to open the dam (or set the catapults, etc).
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#506 Dec 29 2014 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
***
3,940 posts
I feel the same way about Dorian as Idiggory. However not to the extent. He is a comic relief character much like Varric and Isabel in 2. However I do not feel he is watered down excluding the scene with his father. That seen with his father couldn't of been more cliche and token if it tried. It felt like the developers want to acknowledge the struggles of the *** community but it plays out like how a rich kid would try to do a show calling interest to the poor. It showed a very limited understanding of the nuances and just glazed over the whole thing. However I felt the rest of the scenes and chatter Dorian has still make him solid.

I feel like the open world thing is just not a good fit for a dragon age game. I think a lot of the points of the story would of had more impact if they weren't stretch to far apart across you just exploring and being properly leveled. So much distraction in the game you loose focus. I feel like they tried to hard to exonerate the failings of two the completely forgot the good bits.

While characters being strong already been brought up I wouldn't necessarily call the story in 2 bad. Just on a much smaller scale then Origins and the Inquisition. However I think the characters had more impact because of the smaller scale.. The fact the main character was just a friend instead of a prophet.. It almost felt like a lot of the character stayed quiet during major decisions because, hey, we can't go against Andreste's chosen now can we. Having one character say "Hey I disagree with this" is fine but the fact that all the characters despite having clear objections to some of your decisions all politely and out of character say to you hey I don't like that in every situation just feels off.. Feels like a cult.

Also while the areas were repetitive the quests themselves all were fine tuned in terms of dialogue and purpose.. Added a little something to main story or the people around or at the very least to just the place your in. The quests in this game feel like a grab bag.. Ranging from I lost my animals to I can't get to my wife's grave... The grave one sticks out in my mind hte most.. What a missed opportunity. All it really said was the situation was crappy and people were afraid to leave safe spots. A point driven home about 10 times before you can ever reach him in the hinterlands. What new layer did that quests add to the conflict of the war between the mages and templars making the commoners' life hard? Nothing. It was a basic delivery quests with barely any dialogue worth mentioning. Some of the minor or quest only characters in 2 could eclispe some of the playable characters in inquisition.. And that's says more about both games then anything else.
____________________________
If cookies were milk and milk was cookies. Would Oreo's still be america's favorite brand of milk?
#507 Dec 29 2014 at 6:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Laxedrane wrote:
Feels like a cult.

You mean the deference of members of a religious-military organization being run outside the ruling political framework of Fereldan & Orelais towards its (theoretically) divinely chosen leader who has taken the authority to pass judgment (and capital punishment) upon people they disagree with feels like a cult?

I can't imagine why that is Smiley: wink2

In other news, I thought the limitations of the Keep kept Leliana from acknowledging both my Warden's relationship with her and marriage to Anora but last night Mlle Nightingale gave me a "He married Queen Anora but he loved me..." so I guess I was wrong there.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#508 Dec 29 2014 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
***
3,973 posts
I was a little weirded the first time someone called me "Your Worship".

I liked old Lel better than new vampire Lel. When I did the mages side on my second run it was right after the patch that turned some face textures to 300 years old. The part of that with Lel was really disturbing. She looked like the crypt keeper the entire quest.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#509 Dec 29 2014 at 6:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Hopefully, if there's a DA4 they'll retire the Origins cast. Maybe mention them in the dialogue or something like the War Table "cameo" with Zevran but I think their personal stories can be wrapped up. Except Shale. They should make Shale my diplomatic adviser.

"Perhaps if it can not sign this trade agreement, I will be forced to crush it into a red paste..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#510 Dec 29 2014 at 7:49 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
Still holding out for Alistair to be a same *** romance option...

What?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#511 Dec 30 2014 at 5:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,940 posts
idiggory wrote:
Still holding out for Alistair to be a same *** romance option...

What?



It's ok we all want to **** Alistair.

We need a support group for this crap.

Incidentally this is the first time you can kill him though... As far as I am aware. Might see less of him now.
____________________________
If cookies were milk and milk was cookies. Would Oreo's still be america's favorite brand of milk?
#512 Dec 30 2014 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
It isn't - two of the origins endings involve that.

There are three options if you make Anora the sole monarch - Alistair becomes a drunk, Alistair stays with the Wardens, Alistair is executed.

He won't stay with the Wardens if you recruit Loghain. I'm pretty sure he's executed if you hardened him, because he refuses to back down, and becomes a drunk otherwise, because he'll give up all rights to the throne instead.

And if he stays a Warden, you can sacrifice him to the Archdemon.


I had wondered what Adamant would be like if I made Alistair the Warden (which I never did, because gotta get that King D).

I just realized one of the things that really irked me about the game - no big decisions. It was basically just Templars vs. Mages. Everything else was pretty small, which really increased the issue of how short and disappointing the epilogue sequence is. Not only do you get nothing about companions, but there aren't really world choice decisions to follow up on, either.

Those "red arrow" choices were so, so rare. And when you got them, it was usually just about companions... so big pity they didn't get epilogues.

My GUESS is that they're trying to avoid the Leliana thing where they want to retcon events later. But how hard is it to give an "interim" sort of epilogue ending? Cool, Dorian's going back to Tevinter... eventually. But does he change anything? Does he come back? C'mon now.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#513 Dec 30 2014 at 2:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,973 posts
NO BIG DECISIONS?! You are kidding me right? How about that one time when the big spider came back. And instead of living and dying as a team that regularly takes on high dragons and just killed the demon lord of a realm of the fade you must now... Run like cowards and send one of your team to die arbitrarily. YOU MUST CHOOSE.

Jokes aside. Choosing who rules Orlais was probably pretty important to them. Orlias I mean, not me.

Edited, Dec 30th 2014 12:18pm by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#514 Dec 30 2014 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
The problem with that decision is that the game doesn't even bother giving you background about the options until the ball, and then it doesn't even give you much.

I wish they had actually given you mission content to establish the sides (their background and their benefits) before you ever went to that ball.

I ended up supporting Celene, because I couldn't see how ******* off Nevarra and Ferelden AND having a regime shift would help the Inquisition.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#515 Dec 30 2014 at 5:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Likewise for big choices ...I saved the Grey Warden in the Fade because I figured the Wardens needed to rebuilt and would need experienced men to help make that happen. I can't think of an equally compelling reason to save Hawke.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#516 Dec 30 2014 at 5:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,264 posts
Is it a good place to whine about PS3 version ( got it as present ) sucking as much as a black ho(l)e?

Edited, Dec 30th 2014 6:34pm by angrymnk
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
#517 Dec 30 2014 at 5:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
If you want PC people to point at you and laugh, sure.

I heard that the PS3/Xbox360 versions are pretty stripped down compared to the PC and PS4/X1 versions.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#518 Dec 30 2014 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
Can't say I'm surprised. The game was pressuring my PC on high settings. Mostly in load times, but still.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#519 Dec 30 2014 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Jinkies!

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#520 Dec 30 2014 at 7:12 PM Rating: Good
***
3,973 posts
angrymnk wrote:
Is it a good place to whine about PS3 version ( got it as present ) sucking as much as a black ho(l)e?

Edited, Dec 30th 2014 6:34pm by angrymnk


Wait wait is this the part where we play "Is it racist?"

Also wow at that video.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#521 Dec 30 2014 at 9:42 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,560 posts
No, this is clearly one of those times that calls for the sexism card.
#522 Dec 31 2014 at 5:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,940 posts
idiggory wrote:

There are three options if you make Anora the sole monarch - Alistair becomes a drunk, Alistair stays with the Wardens, Alistair is executed.

He won't stay with the Wardens if you recruit Loghain. I'm pretty sure he's executed if you hardened him, because he refuses to back down, and becomes a drunk otherwise, because he'll give up all rights to the throne instead.

And if he stays a Warden, you can sacrifice him to the Archdemon.


I completely Blanked on he can sac himself to the dragon hahaha. I should of remember that. My excuse for execution is I never recruited lohgain due to the fact I could not stand to play 1 again. Not because of the story but the glitches in the 360 and the foreign controls to me on pc.(I don't keyboard and mouse well)

That ball really ****** me off.. It wasn't until after I already made the decisions I made that night did I realize the weight and effects of picking who I picked. I ended up saving Selene solely on the fact she seen the least douchy and that's what coryphious was trying to do!
____________________________
If cookies were milk and milk was cookies. Would Oreo's still be america's favorite brand of milk?
#523 Dec 31 2014 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,264 posts
Jophiel wrote:
If you want PC people to point at you and laugh, sure.

I heard that the PS3/Xbox360 versions are pretty stripped down compared to the PC and PS4/X1 versions.


Ahh, master pc race meme..still going strong I see. Apart from the obvious, while good chunk of the issues are cross-platform, I was referring specifically to ps3 version, but thanks for reading closely. As always, it is your attention to details that impresses me most.

I could go on a rant here, but typing on fone is a minor *****.
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
#524 Dec 31 2014 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
After you brush the sand out of your ladyparts, you'll notice that I specifically addressed the PS3 version (even posting a comparison video). It's the attention to details that matters most Smiley: wink2
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#525 Dec 31 2014 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,264 posts
Jophiel wrote:
If you want PC people to point at you and laugh, sure.

I heard that the PS3/Xbox360 versions are pretty stripped down compared to the PC and PS4/X1 versions.


Jophiel wrote:
After you brush the sand out of your ladyparts, you'll notice that I specifically addressed the PS3 version (even posting a comparison video). It's the attention to details that matters most Smiley: wink2

Quote:

If you want PC people to point at you and laugh, sure.

I heard that the PS3/Xbox360 versions are pretty stripped down compared to the PC and PS4/X1 versions.


Yes, you posted video after talking about various platforms, I am glad we can agree that posts are constructs that can follow one another in an ordered fashion. Should I throw you a banquet as a celebration of that?

I am simply not sure why the moment someone complains about a game for <platform A>, useful idiots with a fervor of a paladin to the death will defend the honor of <company C>. ****, they will point out that <platform A> sucks and <person of questionable sexuality> should invest in <platform Z> which is clearly superior as evidenced by the game not sucking (as much) on <platform Z>.

My questions is not why <company C> issued a game that:

a) is in beta
b) works with bugs and/or critical flaws on 3 out of 5 platforms
b) does not work well and has bugs,and/or critical flaws on 2 out of 5 platforms

Because we all know why: money. The question is, as always, what to do when companies don't deliver. I already swore off ea, activision, and ubisoft. Bioware has its moments, but it is getting harder and harder to play mainstream games and not feel like a pud.
____________________________
Your soul was made of fists.

Jar the Sam
#526 Dec 31 2014 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I think maybe you're just a surly little monkey about your game and taking things a little too seriously. Sorry someone hurt your feelings in your time of need Smiley: flowers
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)