Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Things we'd be talking about if the forum wasn't deadFollow

#3252 Sep 22 2016 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Gbaji wrote:
And that's not the case with non-profit schools as well?
Claiming ignorance here, but I was under the impression that public schools receive public funds and public resources. While that doesn't prevent them from selling degrees, there is much less incentive to do so.


I think that's because you're still making a distinction that's circular. The term "selling" suggests a for-profit motivation, but the real issue isn't whether the degree is "for sale", but whether the result is people getting degrees that maybe don't reflect their own actual capabilities and knowledge, or that are in areas of study that aren't terribly useful with regard to the job market. State schools absolutely have a motivation to pad the education stats. Not a profit motivation, but from a "look how successful our education policy is" point of view? Absolutely have a motivation. And that motivation is going to result in pressure to administrators to channel students into degree paths that maximize graduation rates. And that's before looking at issues of affirmative action policies (ie: using government influence over the education industry to push a social agenda unrelated to education itself).

I think that people don't see this because they are *only* looking at forms of manipulation and pressure that result from the very for-profit motivation that they start out blaming. I'm arguing that if you expand the issue from just that set and look at any of a number of causes that can result in a negative bang for buck effect on education, then those causes can be from just about anything. And yeah, government can and often is one of the biggest offenders.

Quote:
I would also like to note that I'm differentiating prestige private schools from the "ITT" type of schools that I'm referring to. The target audience for these types of schools allow the schools to behave in this manner.


I think both of those types of school suffer from this, just in slightly different ways. For every ITT, there's a dozen other trade and adult education schools out there that are worth spending the time and money for. Let's not forget that it was Joph who brought up ITT specifically, not me. I only spoke of the broader case of trade schools and adult education (specifically as an alternative to the "four year university or bust" mentality that has taken over our education industry. Most careers do not require a four year degree. Most careers don't even require a 2 year degree. Most people would be most benefited by a school that perhaps had a single year of training tailored to a specific area. You can do tech work in a lab with just a few courses worth of training and be competent at it (and probably take in 30-40k a year starting out). Similar cases apply to most of what we might call modern artisan jobs (but don't because that term has fallen out of favor). Computer programming? You literally need to take like maybe 4 or 5 programming classes to learn this (and the rest of your life mastering it). Same can be said for a whole lot of career path jobs out there.

Those kinds of education/training could be available for much less than it costs for secondary education today, and would actually be a better path forward for a large percentage of those entering the workforce. It certainly would set a lower bottom rung for future upward mobility. Which I think would be a very good thing.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3253 Sep 22 2016 at 6:19 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
No it doesn't and no it isn't. People don't choose one hospital over another, if you're going to the hospital you're going to the closest hospital you can get to, or in your case the one your insurance company will pay. Hospitals here don't compete, they share resources. MRI machine too busy? Call the next hospital down the road and send the patient down the road.


Because we do not today and have not for many decades had a competitive private health care system. 99% of your health care needs are things that are *not* emergencies, and thus you could choose whichever hospital, clinic, doctor's office (remember when they had those?) you want. And yeah, "the one your insurance will pay for" is part of my argument. I didn't used to be that way, and the fact that it is that way now is what prevents competition.

Quote:
Hospitals also don't "bring down the cost of an MRI", anywhere.


I know. Because they have zero vested interest in doing so. The cost for the MRI is passed on to the insurance industry as a whole and they never see it.

Quote:
Companies that make MRI machines do that so they can sell more MRI machines.


Right. And they have no incentive to lower costs because there's no competition between those using them. At all. When your customer doesn't care how much it costs to buy your product, because he's just going to pass that cost on to his customer, and that customer doesn't care because he's going to pass it on to his customer, etc, etc, the resulting demand for lower costs goods and services more or less disappears. It's why, despite both home computers and MRI scanners being electronic devices, and entering the mass market at about the same time, home computers today are a thousand times faster and 1/10th the price, MRIs cost pretty much the same in adjusted dollars, and have undergone very little improvement in design or function relatively speaking.

Quote:
Funding is based on the number of patients served with a book value for each procedure just like automotive repair. That book value is determined by the medical board based on time and resources required for a given procedure. You'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian that knows what any procedure they've ever had done cost. There are exceptions to this, cosmetic procedures, dental work, essentially most things that are a choice rather than an actual health issue are not covered and rates are set by the doctor and facility, as a result these things tend to be handled by private offices outside of the hospital. I had to pay for circumcision for my sons because it's not medically necessary.


Uh hun. Just another data point though. How much has the cost of laser eye surgery gone down (and quality gone up) over the last 20 years? Why haven't other medical procedures undergone a similar price point change? Think about it. The elective stuff that people by and large have to pay for out of pocket have improved. The stuff "covered" by either insurance or socialized funding, have not. Has it occurred to you that this is precisely because the costs are controlled and regulated that there's no reason to improve anything?

Quote:
Nobody dies here because they can't get treatment, nobody's family is put into crippling debt because of an accident or sickness, and we pay 10% of what you do for health care. You're doing it wrong. Stop trying to make money off of people's misfortune.


You don't pay 10%. The costs are just hidden from you. Also, nobody dies in the US because they can't get treatment either (well, to the same degree anyway). I'll also point out though, that you're comparing a mostly socialized system to a slightly less socialized system. The US insurance industry more or less acts to cause many of the same effects that public funding does in Canada. That it's "for profit" is really irrelevant.

If we had a health care system in the US that actually operated on a free market system, it would be much much better. We don't have that system though. We haven't had that system since the mid 70s when the HMO act was passed. So it's a totally false comparison.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3254 Sep 22 2016 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Except when the government gets involved and makes it possible to make the most profit in some other manner. Just as in this case.

Excellent point. Getting rid of government interference by eliminating intellectual property protections would bring down a lot of medication pricing right quick. Unless you're going to suggest that having a monopoly on a product doesn't allow for price inflation. Which would be pretty interesting considering that we actually have laws prohibiting companies from gaining monopolies in other areas because -- surprise! -- they don't respond to locking the market by offering the best product for the lowest price as you think happens in your Pollyanna world.


By the by, I'm not personally suggesting that patent law be eliminated, just an acknowledgement that it does allow for price inflation since it minimizes competition with the government's protection

Edited, Sep 22nd 2016 10:20pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3255 Sep 22 2016 at 10:17 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,246 posts
gbaji wrote:
Also, nobody dies in the US because they can't get treatment either (well, to the same degree anyway).
"People don't die, except when they do"?

Or are you saying people don't die is the US for lack of medical care to the same degree as they do in Canada because the situation of so many more deaths in the US for that reason?

Edited, Sep 23rd 2016 3:49am by Bijou
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#3256 Sep 22 2016 at 10:36 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,246 posts
gbaji wrote:
If we had a health care system in the US that actually operated on a free market system, it would be much much better.
Did you have to drop Martin Shkreli's dick to free your hands up to type that lie?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#3257 Sep 23 2016 at 7:28 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,563 posts
gbaji wrote:
See how this is actually a proof of my point?
Was your point that you don't know what you're talking about?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3258 Sep 23 2016 at 9:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,548 posts
Uh...no.

Medical equipment and efficiency have improved dramatically over the last couple of decades in just about every area. MRIs have similar costs yes, but they are massively improved over older devices with exponentially higher resolutions and reliability.

You see, a company would have tried to make it cheaper so they could make higher margins, our health care system tries to make it better because cost shouldn't be the deciding factor in saving lives.

The competition isn't between the hospitals. It's between the equipment manufacturers, they compete for government purchase orders.

Government paid work has very specific requirements for their purchases, they have very well designed procurement processes. I know, I've done work for them, it's infinitely easier to provide services to private industry because their standards are way lower.

And really....laser eye surgery? That's your example? Laser eye surgery is cheaper because physicists learned how to make better lasers after discovering certain properties of light that we were previously unaware of. That was publicly funded research into light manipulation done at universities. Competition doesn't make things, it can drive down costs but it also drives down quality because things that last don't make you money.
#3259 Sep 23 2016 at 10:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Gbaji has been trying to peddle that MRI/Laser eye surgery comparison for years. Literally.

It's as though he read it in a Heritage Foundation blog posting once and it never went any further than that for him.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3260 Sep 23 2016 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,146 posts
These for profit schools ( If I'm understanding the terminology) look at numbers. They have near 100% acceptance rates and their tuition conveniently matches what the government will pay.
#3261 Sep 23 2016 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
This review pretty much sums up everything I've been reading about ITT:

Quote:
For the love of everything, do not attend this school. They sucker you in by promising a career and a usable diploma. But wait, its not a diploma, its a certificate that is a useless, $65k piece of paper. Luckily, I escaped this death trap after sinking in 12k for two quarters. My first quarter consisted of two completely useless classes that are "prerequisites" for your actual major. One class is basically how not to suck at school, and the other is "hey this is a computer, did you know that?" Then comes second quarter, where it can be seen the teachers do not care at all. Class time is in two phases: lecture and then lab. The lectures are truly brilliant. The "professors" read off of a corporate generated Powerpoint, where about half way through each one they begin quickly flipping through slides saying its not important. Then why is it there?? After the astonishing presentation, they show you a few YouTube videos on what you're learning which was the final straw for me. I am not paying a corporation (key word corporation) $6k per quarter to watch YouTube videos that I can find on my own. My final project in one of my classes was creating my own website which I achieved, but only because I watched a one hour HTML and CSS tutorial that taught me more than my classes did the entire quarter. ITT Tech is a scam, all they want is your money, and they do not care. I am lucky to have come to my senses before paying a full $65k for a certificate that doesn't hold the same worth as an A.A. Save yourself time, and save your own money by simply attending your local community college and get an education that is a hundred times better in quality, for a TINY FRACTION of what this "school" will cost you. At least that degree will be useable and you have the option of even continuing your education elsewhere.


It's pretty scary considering I'll be going back to school soon somewhere and everywhere I look sounds just as bad as this.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#3262 Sep 23 2016 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
The hotel I'm staying at doesn't seem to air condition the hallways. So it's 72 in my room, but if I open the door and go out in the hall it's like... 90 with no air circulation. It's pretty shocking every morning when I get up to go to work. Hot, humid air, always seems hard to breath. Like getting punched in the face when I open the door.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3263 Sep 24 2016 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,516 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Holy shit, BBC is doing a television program based on Dirk Gentley starting Oct 22nd. It may very well be terrible but I'll be there to find out.

Again?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#3264 Sep 24 2016 at 8:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Debalic wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Holy shit, BBC is doing a television program based on Dirk Gentley starting Oct 22nd. It may very well be terrible but I'll be there to find out.

Again?

Apparently. I'll have to look up the 2012 attempt which seems to have had positive reviews and was killed, ironically, by a bureaucratic decision that BBC 4 should show more purchased imported programming.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3265 Sep 24 2016 at 9:50 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,540 posts
So, apparently the new popular thing for kids with nothing better do is to dress up like a creepy clown and go around trying to scare people. There was a clown sighting a few towns over from where I work, so it's all I've been hearing about lately. I'm waiting for one of them to take it too far and get a bullet for their troubles.
#3266 Sep 24 2016 at 9:57 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
Turin wrote:
So, apparently the new popular thing for kids with nothing better do is to dress up like a creepy clown and go around trying to scare people. There was a clown sighting a few towns over from where I work, so it's all I've been hearing about lately. I'm waiting for one of them to take it too far and get a bullet for their troubles.


Old news. A few weeks back there was already reports of neighbor watch types firing randomly into the woods behind their apartments because they heard something and thought it was the evil clown trying to steal their kids with candy and stuff.

I blame Stephen King.

Edited, Sep 24th 2016 11:57pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3267 Sep 25 2016 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,320 posts
Arrests have been made, as well.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3268 Sep 26 2016 at 5:06 AM Rating: Good
***
1,061 posts
THAT HAS TO BE ROCK BOTTOM IN ANYONE'S LIFE

ROCK

BOTTOM
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#3269 Sep 26 2016 at 7:15 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Yeah, they should have at least waited until after the It remake.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3271 Sep 26 2016 at 8:25 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,516 posts
Nah, it's a vital marketing campaign.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#3272 Oct 21 2016 at 10:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The search function stops in mid-May 2016 now.

Or else maybe no one has posted since May 2016 and I'm just hallucinating.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3273 Oct 21 2016 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Hallucinations would be the more likely explanation.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3274 Oct 21 2016 at 11:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,150 posts
<removes +1 shroud of lurking>

Oh cool. This place is still around.
#3275 Oct 21 2016 at 3:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,320 posts
Nah, Hallucinations, obviously, didn't you get the Memo?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3276 Oct 21 2016 at 7:32 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
Inappropriate article titles trending on social media:

Quote:
Grandmother beats off rapist as he attacked her.


____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3277 Oct 22 2016 at 8:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Jophiel wrote:
Holy shit, BBC is doing a television program based on Dirk Gentley starting Oct 22nd. It may very well be terrible but I'll be there to find out.

Watched the first episode. Definitely need to watch the second to decide whether I'll stay with it or not since so much of the first was introducing a dozen characters and general weirdness. It's very much just "inspired by" the novels -- aside from a few Easter Egg style remarks, there's precious little connecting it to the books. In a sense, that's fine with me since it's almost better than feeling like "Well, THAT'S all wrong... and that ain't right". Adams' stuff doesn't seem to translate well into film in my opinion so not even trying for a direct conversion is probably the right choice.

My wife is into the BBC Sherlock & Dr Who stuff and watched it with me with largely the same reaction; not instantly hooked but willing to give it another episode and see if it'll be something we follow.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3278 Oct 24 2016 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
I like the idea of a holistic assassin.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3279 Oct 24 2016 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Yeah, she was good. I think there's some good ideas in there, I just need to feel as though they're going someplace as opposed to week after week of randomness.

Also, the first episode felt like The Todd Show with Gentley as a guest star although I'd assume that'll change a little as the two characters' stories become more integrated.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3280 Nov 01 2016 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Thursday afternoon travel day and check in, Friday classroom work, Saturday range time, Sunday afternoon travel day. I get to miss Doctor Strange because I have to be "certified" and "proficient" with a bunch of long range weapons, but not to worry because "they'll have me back in plenty of time to vote." Smiley: mad

I'll just keep my bought ticket and watch a cam on the bus ride. Still irrationally angry.

Edited, Nov 1st 2016 11:54am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3281 Nov 01 2016 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
You have to be proficient with long range weapons to watch Dr. Strange? Shit. Wish I knew that before I bought a ticket.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3282 Nov 01 2016 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
You'll never be able to hit Kaecilius with popcorn from the cheapseats if you don't have the necessary training.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3283 Nov 02 2016 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
***
3,043 posts
I guess everyone is watching Game 7, like me. Right now I'm happy as the Cubs are ahead 4 to 1. I want to see them win. I may have only lived in Chicago for 14 months, but I was born there and that is were my family is from.

Like me, My parents were both born in Chicago, but raised in different towns in Ill and Ind. Still we always spent at least one day visiting family in Chicago, as that is were my mom's relatives lived. Dad's Parents lived in Sandwich Ill and mom's parents lived in Michigan City, Ind.

Game now is 5 to 1, Cubs!
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
#3284 Nov 02 2016 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
I met a female registered *** offender. A first for me. She got in trouble for (attempted) sexual misconduct involving a minor. And apparently a female. Something about video taping something between her and a teen girl.

The first thing I could think of...


But joking aside... seems females are rare on this list. I'm pretty sure she's the only one out of the the dozens in the area. (Lots of sexual misconduct involving minors around here...)

Edited, Nov 2nd 2016 9:59pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3285 Nov 02 2016 at 10:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUBBIES!!!!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3286 Nov 02 2016 at 10:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUBBIES!!!!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3287 Nov 03 2016 at 2:43 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,246 posts
Wow. Regular ol' Cubs fan club in here.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#3288 Nov 03 2016 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Congratulations and I hope you and the rest of the Cubs fans get irritating papercuts between your fingers.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3289 Nov 03 2016 at 7:52 AM Rating: Excellent
What a game!
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#3290 Nov 03 2016 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,336 posts
It's only been 3 days and I'm sick of Halloween candy already. Smiley: glare
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3291 Nov 03 2016 at 7:07 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
A coworker of mine gambled at work and lost big time (no, not on the World Series).

He stumbled upon (somehow) access to some of our HR resources. Either through our corporate record system or through ADP's Portal, I'm not sure exactly what or how. In it, he found the pay of many of the people working in the offices. Including the various engineers. Both Contracted and Company Employed.

We have engineers working for us (like myself) and also contracted "temporary" engineers. These contracted employees are self employed. They have no benefits through the company, no vacation, etc. This guy saw the pay of the two classifications. As expected, the contracted employees were paid quite a bit more than the company employees. To compensate for lack of benefits and the whole self employed and all the extra taxes that come with that.

So he goes to HR about it, and HR explains the deal with contracted employees. He wasn't happy with the answer. So he goes to the COO. Same thing. Still not happy with the answer, he goes around to every employee and starts telling them the pay difference and trying to get them to join him in a "revolt" of sorts to get pay equalized with contracted employees. They suspend him indefinitely. Then 3 days later they fire him. Not sure what their exact reasons were, but I'd guess it officially would be the way he accessed the HR resources originally, that he wasn't supposed to be doing.

All this happened as another guy tried to play some games with the company. He took 2 weeks vacation, and while on the vacation, he planned on going to test another job to see if they would hire him, and if he liked it. Then if it worked out, he'd quit. If not, he'd come back to work after his "vacation". Sounded good on paper, but he told his friends (coworkers) and word spread. Then on the day before his vacation they fired him. And then he didn't get the job that he planned on going to. So he was left without a job. And he was pis[u][/u]sed...
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3292 Nov 04 2016 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,336 posts
Huh, first guy sounds like a trouble maker. If he's snooping around people's HR information yeah get rid of him quick. No good is going to come from someone who's trying to create a scene like that. Second guy sounds kind of cold-blooded though. What you do on your vacation time shouldn't matter, including interviewing for other jobs. Guess it's a good lesson in keeping your mouth shut though.

No good comes ever from talking to people. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3293 Nov 04 2016 at 6:31 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,823 posts
Second guy does seem like a dick move. But it is company policy that if you tell them you are quitting, they will ask you where it is you plan on going to for another job. If you choose not to tell them, they will let you go right then. If you tell them, they will decide based on who the company is whether they will allow you to continue working until you decide to go, or whether they will let you go right then.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3294 Nov 07 2016 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
You know what happens to a vulture hit with a weapon that can knock an engine block out of a truck at 400 yards? You have to guess what type of bird it was and hope no one calls your bluff when identifying it.
TirithRR wrote:
Second guy does seem like a dick move.
Second guy should have kept his trap shut.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3295 Nov 07 2016 at 8:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
TirithRR wrote:
Second guy does seem like a dick move. But it is company policy that if you tell them you are quitting, they will ask you where it is you plan on going to for another job. If you choose not to tell them, they will let you go right then. If you tell them, they will decide based on who the company is whether they will allow you to continue working until you decide to go, or whether they will let you go right then.

Sounds fairly reasonable. If you're leaving XYZ Accounting to go to ACME Accounting then there's no reason to let you hang around a week and potentially take something useful with you. If you're leaving to pursue your dream of becoming a union pipe-fitter then it's less of a concern.

Anyway, the first guy was a moron start to finish (looking at HR records, admitting to it, not understanding it and then trying to start a revolt). The second guy was dumb for blabbing about it.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3296 Nov 07 2016 at 11:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,336 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
You know what happens to a vulture hit with a weapon that can knock an engine block out of a truck at 400 yards? You have to guess what type of bird it was and hope no one calls your bluff when identifying it.
Man it was a pigeon. It's always a pigeon. Unless you want Greenpeace hanging around your base entrance and being mildly irritating for the next decade.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3297 Nov 07 2016 at 9:17 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
You know what happens to a vulture hit with a weapon that can knock an engine block out of a truck at 400 yards?


My old Tank driving buddy would say that if you can still recognize that it was a truck, you weren't firing the right ammunition.

Quote:
You have to guess what type of bird it was and hope no one calls your bluff when identifying it.


It was endangered, right? I'm sure of it!

Quote:
TirithRR wrote:
Second guy does seem like a dick move.
Second guy should have kept his trap shut.


This x1000. With a sprinkling of "maybe pick better friends" as well.

As to the first guy, wtf? One of the first rules of a workplace is you don't talk about salary. That's private information between employee and employer, and for very good reason. There are a zillion different reasons why pay may vary from one employee to another, and making a big deal about it is never going to end well. Trying to force pay raises by revealing you have somehow obtained payroll information is employment darwinism in action. He's frankly lucky he only got fired. HR information about employees is considered confidential, and depending on how he obtained it and what legitimate access he had, he could potentially have been violating the law by revealing said information to anyone else (or by obtaining it without permission in the first place). Wow. That's just... dumb.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3298 Nov 08 2016 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,336 posts
gbaji wrote:
He's frankly lucky he only got fired.
Was a little surprised by that too. Imagined some kind of "We're firing you. Leave without a fight or we'll press legal action against you for accessing the records." ultimatum happening behind closed doors.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3299 Nov 08 2016 at 8:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,320 posts
In the "Zam is Dying" file, we find the following:

Email from Zam
wrote:
Hi,
As you may know, Zam Premium is a subscription service that provides an ad-free experience for our community members throughout our network at a reasonable price point.
We just decided to take this experience to the next level by expanding it to more sites within our network including LolKing as well as reducing the overall cost!

$1.00 monthly (previously $4.99/month)
$5.00 bi-annually (new tier)
$9.00 annually (previously $29.99/month)
As an existing ZAM Premium subscriber, your membership has been retroactively adjusted based on the new prices.
Your new expiration date will be extended from Monday, June 19, 2017 to Wednesday, May 29, 2019. (Bolding is mine)
Your membership will renew at the new lower rate of $9.00 / year.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? We’re listening! Try our FAQ page first: http://www.zam.com/premium_faq.html
But, if that doesn’t answer your questions then feel free to reach out to us via accounts@zam.com
Lastly, we wish to thank you for being a ZAM Premium member and for every bit of support you’ve given us throughout the years.
Loyal users like you are what keep the lights on for our websites and it means the world to have your support!


I'm the reason you can all post here, so...You're welcome, I guess?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3300 Nov 08 2016 at 8:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,336 posts
I appreciate your commitment. Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3301 Nov 11 2016 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,320 posts
So, last night we lost Leonard Cohen, and today, I find out we lost Robert Vaughn. R.I.P. gentleman.



____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 71 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (71)