Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Gunfight at the O.K. CorralFollow

#27 Jul 08 2016 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
gbaji wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Not the normal standoff resolution, that's for sure. Probably isn't going to do much to help calm the situation either. Blowing up a black guy and all; that'll be good for race relations.


I've admittedly not been spending a ton of time checking the broad public reaction, but I'm reasonably certain that the BLM folks aren't going to adopt this guy as any sort of poster child for their movement. Well, most of them anyway. Cause that would be the fastest way to self destruct themselves as an organization.
Naw can't see that happening either. I'll just say inb4 "wouldn't have blown up a white guy" becomes a thing and see if my hunch is correct. If I'm understanding it correctly this is the first instance of a police robot being used to kill in the US? Someone with a bit of tinfoil will find it interesting that this line crossed with a black guy as the target at a BLM march of all places.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#28 Jul 08 2016 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,429 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
I'm wondering about the details of the robot bomb now-- and how much of an explosion was it to outright kill the guy?

Doesn't really take much to kill a person, right? I know video games and TV make it seem like you can take shots and bombs and just go hide somewhere for a few moments and you'll be alright. Real world humans are pretty easy to kill.


I figured it was the opposite-- where TV and movies depict being poked with a knife causes you to fall over dead as you would be having been drowned a month prior. That and there are about a bajillion stories out there about guys who lay on top of grenades to save their buddies or stepping on land mines then live to tell about it.

Edited, Jul 9th 2016 1:49am by Kuwoobie

I am so tired.

Edited, Jul 9th 2016 1:51am by Kuwoobie
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#29 Jul 08 2016 at 8:06 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,933 posts
Don't forget bullets that cause cars to explode!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Jul 08 2016 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,373 posts
Jophiel wrote:
In real life, you need at least a med pack.

Or some duct tape. Duct tape fixes everything.
#31 Jul 09 2016 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Wired has an article about the robot, titled "Why A Killer Robot Was Likely The Only Option For Dallas Police". It postulates that the robot may have used a water charge (the Dallas Police haven't elaborated). Other stuff I read said that it likely wasn't a C4 charge simply because of the damage potential to the building. All the articles make the point that dead is dead and, had the police had a clear line of sight, he would have been just as killed from a SWAT member's rifle as he was by the robot bomb.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#32 Jul 09 2016 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,911 posts
Shooter denies being affiliated with any movements or groups.
#33 Jul 09 2016 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,373 posts
#34 Jul 10 2016 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,911 posts
Could have also be internalizing gun advocates' message as he apparently had quite the ******* in his mother's home.
#35 Jul 11 2016 at 8:01 AM Rating: Good
******
49,744 posts
Jophiel wrote:
It postulates that the robot may have used a water charge (the Dallas Police haven't elaborated).
Huh, I didn't (still don't, really) think those were so readily available. They're kind of neat to watch, like supercharged Super Soakers.

Apparently a search of Johnson's home found tons of bomb making materials and a "personal journal of combat tactics" Because the best way to stop police violence is to make them more nervous, I guess.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#36 Jul 11 2016 at 9:56 AM Rating: Default
1 post
You people are delusional. This wasn't some lone crazy gunman. This was a planned attack carried out by at least 5 black men closely associated with BLM. Keep your heads in the sand and see how far that gets you in just about every black neighborhood. Their black president is about to be gone and the hood rats are getting restless. But hey let's blame guns or whitey....seems to work for you people.

Edited, Jul 11th 2016 11:58am by twitdownup
#37 Jul 11 2016 at 10:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The Dallas police are liars! You heard it here first.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#38 Jul 11 2016 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,429 posts
Conspiracy! Conspiracy! The sky is falling! The president... is black! Everyone is black! They're out to get me! Help!
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#39 Jul 11 2016 at 11:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
Jophiel wrote:
You heard it here first.
Well darn I'm marking this day on the calendar then. Haven't said that about this site in a good 5-6 years.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#40 Jul 11 2016 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
******
49,744 posts
Rabble rabble rabble rabble.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#41 Jul 11 2016 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,550 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Probably not the spaghetti sauce, though. I'd imagine we'd have heard a lot more about it if that were the case.


Hard to talk with a mouth full of delicious, still warm, spaghetti sauce.
#42 Jul 11 2016 at 5:20 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,933 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
The reaction to this on social media now is, of course, calls for re-segregation, deportation of x race (whether or not they're actually US citizens), etc.
Pretty sure that is social media's reaction to everything from terrorist attacks to a store running out of your favorite ice cream.
Pretty much, though they sometimes use different words. "Segregation" is now often called "PoC-Only Safe Spaces", for instance.


What's ironic about this is that I was watching an interview with a BLM member and he was basically arguing that what the black community needed was its own separate economy, with black owned stores, restaurants, businesses, etc, that black people would go to in order to keep the money within the community, and thus enable them to succeed. I don't think he had the historical knowledge to realize that's *exactly* what started segregation. What was annoying is that the journalist interviewing him apparently didn't either.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#43 Jul 11 2016 at 8:00 PM Rating: Default
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
gbaji wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
The reaction to this on social media now is, of course, calls for re-segregation, deportation of x race (whether or not they're actually US citizens), etc.
Pretty sure that is social media's reaction to everything from terrorist attacks to a store running out of your favorite ice cream.
Pretty much, though they sometimes use different words. "Segregation" is now often called "PoC-Only Safe Spaces", for instance.


What's ironic about this is that I was watching an interview with a BLM member and he was basically arguing that what the black community needed was its own separate economy, with black owned stores, restaurants, businesses, etc, that black people would go to in order to keep the money within the community, and thus enable them to succeed. I don't think he had the historical knowledge to realize that's *exactly* what started segregation. What was annoying is that the journalist interviewing him apparently didn't either.


Err. Actually no. Segregation was implemented to keep blacks down, not provide them their own economy. If "Separate But Equal" were actually equal, we would still be segregated. Blacks fought to end segregation, not to hold hands with their oppressors, but to gain economic support.
#44 Jul 11 2016 at 8:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Welp, this is going to turn into one of those threads where Gbaji starts giving his weird revisionist history cobbled together from Heritage Foundation columns and blogs from the American Enterprise Institute, isn't it?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#45 Jul 11 2016 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,358 posts
Don't they all?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#46 Jul 11 2016 at 10:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,373 posts
Jophiel wrote:
The Dallas police are liars! You heard it here first.

To be fair, reports initially did cite as many as 4 potential gunmen, so the "lone gunman" thing does feel a bit like a narrative shift. Isn't to say that the 1 post wonder isn't crazy, obviously.
#47 Jul 11 2016 at 10:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Holding "initial reports" of an incident like this as anything accurate is usually foolish. Initial reports are almost always wrong.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Jul 11 2016 at 11:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,228 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Welp, this is going to turn into one of those threads where Gbaji starts giving his weird revisionist history cobbled together from Heritage Foundation columns and blogs from the American Enterprise Institute, isn't it?


Yeah... that explanation was... special...
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#49 Jul 12 2016 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,297 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Blacks fought to end segregation, not to hold hands with their oppressors, but to gain economic support equity.
FTFY
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#50 Jul 12 2016 at 5:39 AM Rating: Default
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
Blacks fought to end segregation, not to hold hands with their oppressors, but to gain economic support equity.
FTFY
"Economic support" is bad wording, but I'm not sure if I fully agree with the word of equity. Of course to be treated equally under the law and practices, but I would argue that the tensions of the time caused people to prefer independence over equality.
#51 Jul 12 2016 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
******
49,744 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Welp, this is going to turn into one of those threads where Gbaji starts giving his weird revisionist history cobbled together from Heritage Foundation columns and blogs from the American Enterprise Institute, isn't it?
It's reliable, though. The blogger saw a black person on TV once.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 64 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (64)