Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Time to give Trump Presidency it's own Thread.Follow

#527 Oct 01 2017 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,911 posts
TirithRR wrote:
But the media likes to play along for some reason.

When the President of the United States chooses to call out an issue, that is news in any sane time period.

I get why he wants this to be news rather than the repeal vote, or Russia running "Antifa" Twitter accounts to stoke right wing fears, or whatever else is currently a threat to his power.
#528 Oct 02 2017 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
******
49,730 posts
Turin wrote:
Honestly, I just don't give a **** about football in general.
Well you didn't try to compete with the NFL in the early '80s and got curb stomped so badly that it destroyed an entire budding league, did you?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#529 Oct 02 2017 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,355 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Samira wrote:
I dunno, Cochran tweeted that he was NOT in the hospital, but was at home. So maybe Trump meant "out sick", and maybe he should learn to be a little more specific.
Yet the article headlines read "Trumps Lies about Senator!". I never denied that Cochran tweeted he wasn't in the Hospital (I actually already confirmed his actual situation). That's not the point. The point is the exaggerated headlines that fuel the narrative.

Samira wrote:
The fake news narrative exists because 45 wants it to exist. He fears and hates the media, and his first instinct is to foment chaos and profit from the result. None of this is mysterious in the least.


And the media seems to do everything it can to give him examples to help him with his narrative. Maybe they want to sit back and secretly laugh at Trump and his Fake News claims, while feeding him to keep him doing it. But that's not exactly hurting Trump. Fake News isn't a negative for him or his voters. And everything that can be used to support it is a good thing for them. Whether it's him being criticized for calling out countries that "owe" on defense spending. Or for "ignoring" Puerto Rico. Or for Hospitalization vs Out Sick after some medical event.



Norgasm!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#530 Oct 02 2017 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Mic.com wrote:
In the aftermath of the mass shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas Sunday night, far-right media pushed a hoax story falsely identifying someone else as the suspected shooter.

The person who police have really identified as being the suspected shooter is Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old from nearby Mesquite, Nevada, who was found dead in his hotel room when police arrived.

Before police named Paddock as the suspected shooter, though, far-right trolls circulated the hoax that the person being sought by police was another man named Geary Danley. Those claims were eventually circulated by right-wing media, which spread quickly on Facebook and Twitter.
[...]
The attempt to frame Danley for the shooting is one of several hoaxes and fake news reports that have circulated in the aftermath of the shooting. Geary Danley in particular was framed as a suspected shooter sheds some light on the political motivations that drives the false media narrative from the far-right.

Far-right trolls and the Gateway Pundit both emphasized that Danley had on Facebook liked the liberal MSNBC show host Rachel Maddow and Democratic sites like MoveOn.org and Organizing for Action. Gateway Pundit wrote in the now-deleted post that Danley was part of an “anti-Trump army,” in reference to a Facebook group.

Once Paddock was named as the real suspect, new storylines began to emerge attempting to tie Paddock to the far left and to the militant anti-fascist group Antifa, according to BuzzFeed’s Ryan Broderick.

...Something, something "HuffPo reported on Trump falsely saying that a senator was in the hospital when at home resting is close enough!!!! FAKE NEWS!!!" something, something...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#531 Oct 02 2017 at 10:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,355 posts
Huh, I never saw anything about Danley, but I don't get my news from anywhere. Fake news, Joph.

Now imagine a million more words, and that's my Gbaji imitation.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#532 Oct 02 2017 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,293 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Huh, I never saw anything about Danley, but I don't get my news from anywhere. Fake news, Joph.

Now imagine a million more words, and that's my Gbaji imitation.
You forgot to say "Umm..." so, no Emmy for you!!
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#533 Oct 02 2017 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Huh, I never saw anything about Danley so your news about fake news was fake news!

Fixed 'n stuff.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#534 Oct 02 2017 at 11:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Huh, I never saw anything about Danley so your news about fake news was fake news!

Fixed 'n stuff.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#535 Oct 02 2017 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
******
49,730 posts
It's not fake news, they're alternative facts with absolutely no connection to reality that the Left doesn't want you to know about.

Geary Danley was a 3 Star Specialist defending our country during the Bowling Green Massacre.

Edited, Oct 2nd 2017 1:19pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#536 Oct 02 2017 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
White House wants you all to know that you shouldn't be talking about how to prevent 50+ people being shot to death following 50+ people being shot to death.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#537 Oct 02 2017 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,228 posts
They weren't killed by guns, they were killed by blood loss.

Can't argue with that, Liberals.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#538 Oct 02 2017 at 4:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,237 posts
You can't tell conservative pundits from The Onion on this topic.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#539 Oct 02 2017 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
One is actual BS sites intentionally creating false stories in the hopes that they get picked up on social media, go viral, etc, and thus influence people There's plenty of that on the internet, and it comes in all shapes, sizes, and political orientations.

The other form is legitimate news organizations using clever wordplay, selection bias, and sometimes just outright poor sourcing to write stories that create a false perception in the minds of their audience.

You realize that the "second type" (which isn't even the case in this instance) only exists because Trump told you it does, right?


You're kidding, right? I've been talking about how the media manipulates their language in order to create false impressions in their audience for. literally (and yes, I'm using this word correctly), 15+ years on this forum. I have repeatedly pointed out how this overwhelming is done in preference to liberal positions and causes and in opposition to conservatives ones. You know this. The only thing Trump did was apply the label "fake news" to it. The label doesn't change the fact that many conservatives have noticed this for decades now, have commented on it, been increasingly ****** off about it, etc.


Quote:
Because he was intentionally blurring the line and trying to delegitimize news sources that were critical of him? You know, like when they point out that Trump is making up a narrative about how the ACA repeal only failed because one senator was out sick?


Yeah. That's not it at all Joph. And the fact that you seem to think it is, shows just how utterly out of touch you are with this issue. Trump didn't make this issue up. He just put it front and center and applied a catchy label to it. Again, the fact that you think this resonates with conservatives because it's Trump saying it is an indication of how clueless you are. It resonates because it's something we've been aware of for some time.. Trump just happens to be the guy who came along and talked about it publicly.

If Bush had called this "fake news" you'd be making it about Bush. If Rubio had done it, it would be about Rubio. If Cruz had done it, once again, for you liberals it would be about Rubio. For us, it's not about the person saying it. It's about the thing itself. Which, I suppose, just show how differently conservative and liberals view the world around us. I look at the actions taken, not who takes them, or who is affected positively or negatively. I don't support something because it's Trump/Bush/Ruibio saying it. And I don't oppose things because of the same reasons. I look at the thing itself.

You liberals judge based on the person or group. Protest blocks streets illegally? Well, that's not only ok, since they were opposing white nationalists, but anyone who condemns their action is a white nationalist sympathizer! Players intentionally disrespect the anthem and flag? Let's see why they're doing it. Oh, They're supporting BLM, so it's ok for them to do something we'd otherwise condemn. Um... Say what? Oh, and just like above, if you criticize them, you must be a racist who wants black people to die.

Can't you see the pattern? How many cases do I have to point out where you judge things, not by the action itself, but by the person taking the action before you become self aware enough to see this? It's absurd. And yeah, this is just another example of the same thing. Media manipulation is fine in your opinion, as long as it helps your "side". Anyone condemning it is attacked, not for what they are saying, nor whether it's true, but because they're on the "other side". How does that logic even work in your head? So Trump say something that I've been talking about for well over a decade, and now I'm wrong because Trump says it and I must just be parroting what he's saying?


That's... insane.

Quote:
Have another biscuit. Good doggie. Keep it up so Trump can keep outright lying and you're too busy yapping at HuffPo to notice.


You really might want to take a look in the mirror there Joph.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#540 Oct 02 2017 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,293 posts
gbaji wrote:
He just put it front and center and applied a catchy label to it.
When Drumph applies a "catchy label" to something...he's lying. I am not at all surprised you can't suss that out, though.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#541 Oct 02 2017 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,293 posts
gbaji wrote:
You liberals judge based on the person or group.
Painting everyone in a group with a broad brush, just like he says he never does. That our gbaji!!




Why waste a double?Smiley: tongue


Edited, Oct 2nd 2017 6:58pm by Bijou
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#542 Oct 02 2017 at 9:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
It's adorable that Gbaji parrots Trump and then insists that it's only because he's such a free thinker Smiley: laugh
Quote:
Trump didn't make this issue up. He just put it front and center and applied a catchy label to it.

No, you guys already had a label for it as you cried about "liberal media bias" for years and years. What Trump did was intentionally conflate the separate issue of completely false news stories to convince a bunch of soft-minded people that "liberal media bias" was equivalent to making up stories from whole cloth. This was done with the express purpose of delegitimizing news sources that Trump was opposed to because they were running (truthful) negative stories and, if you can convince a bunch of sheep that the Washington Post is "fake news" then you don't need to bother rebutting the actual stories. You fell for it, Gbaji. You fell for it HARD. You're still falling for it as your tortured explanation for why this doesn't count shows.
Quote:
Again, the fact that you think this resonates with conservatives because it's Trump saying it is an indication of how clueless you are. It resonates because it's something we've been aware of for some time

That's a bizarre strawman. I never said it was specifically because it was Trump, I said that you're only eating it up today because Trump fed it to you. Absolutely the messenger didn't really matter (face it, this was really a Steve Bannon invention, not something Trump brainstormed). What mattered was having enough people dumb enough to fall for it. But, as the saying goes, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 12:57am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#543 Oct 02 2017 at 9:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
This post for rent

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 12:56am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#544 Oct 03 2017 at 7:10 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,730 posts
Alanis Morissette wrote:
You liberals judge based on the person or group.
gbaji wrote:
Protest blocks streets illegally?
It wasn't illegal.
gbaji wrote:
Players intentionally disrespect the anthem and flag?
A practice begun in 2009, said was now disrespectful by a guy who regularly defends a flag flown by traitors and deserters.
gbaji wrote:
Can't you see the pattern?
Most certainly, pretty parrot.
gbaji wrote:
So 45 say something that I've been talking about for well over a decade, and now I'm wrong because 45 says it and I must just be parroting what he's saying?
You have the order wrong. You were wrong for well over a decade, and 45 repeats it because he knows all he had to do to win your vote was to play to your fears, and now you're continuing to repeat it because you have a spokesperson.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 9:15am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#545 Oct 03 2017 at 7:42 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Jophiel wrote:
It's adorable that Gbaji parrots Trump and then insists that it's only because he's such a free thinker[/ Smiley: laugh
Quote:
Trump didn't make this issue up. He just put it front and center and applied a catchy label to it.

No, you guys already had a label for it as you cried about "liberal media bias" for years and years. What Trump did was intentionally conflate the separate issue of completely false news stories to convince a bunch of soft-minded people that "liberal media bias" was equivalent to making up stories from whole cloth. This was done with the express purpose of delegitimizing news sources that Trump was opposed to because they were running (truthful) negative stories and, if you can convince a bunch of sheep that the Washington Post is "fake news" then you don't need to bother rebutting the actual stories. You fell for it, Gbaji. You fell for it HARD. You're still falling for it as your tortured explanation for why this doesn't count shows.
Quote:
Again, the fact that you think this resonates with conservatives because it's Trump saying it is an indication of how clueless you are. It resonates because it's something we've been aware of for some time

That's a bizarre strawman. I never said it was specifically because it was Trump, I said that you're only eating it up today because Trump fed it to you. Absolutely the messenger didn't really matter (face it, this was really a Steve Bannon invention, not something Trump brainstormed). What mattered was having enough people dumb enough to fall for it. But, as the saying goes, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 12:57am by Jophiel
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#546 Oct 03 2017 at 7:43 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Jophiel wrote:
It's adorable that Gbaji parrots Trump and then insists that it's only because he's such a free thinker


You have a bizarre definition of "parrot" going on there.

Quote:
Quote:
Trump didn't make this issue up. He just put it front and center and applied a catchy label to it.

No, you guys already had a label for it as you cried about "liberal media bias" for years and years. What Trump did was intentionally conflate the separate issue of completely false news stories to convince a bunch of soft-minded people that "liberal media bias" was equivalent to making up stories from whole cloth.


Yeah. He's calling out the media by equating their bias to full out "fake news". Some of us, who apparently don't have "soft minds", got this on day one. It's the equivalent of calling a newspaper a "gossip rag" back in the olden days. You didn't get this?

Quote:
This was done with the express purpose of delegitimizing news sources that Trump was opposed to because they were running (truthful) negative stories and, if you can convince a bunch of sheep that the Washington Post is "fake news" then you don't need to bother rebutting the actual stories. You fell for it, Gbaji. You fell for it HARD. You're still falling for it as your tortured explanation for why this doesn't count shows.


Fell for what? I got what he was doing and saying right off the bat. I've treated the Washington Post with a massive grain of salt for a couple decades now, as have most conservatives, so I'm not sure what you think changed in my/our mindset here. We didn't decide that those news sources were illegitimate because of what Trump called them. Trump called them "fake news" because he realized how well this would resonate with a conservative base that already views them that way.

You've got the cause and effect completely backwards Joph. As I've pointed out many times, Trump is not a great conservative. What he does do well is identify what people already think and want and then tie into that. He adopted his language to what conservatives wanted and have been waiting for many years for their representatives to be bold enough to say. It doesn't go the other way around. Conservatives don't have a negative view of the mainstream media because of Trump. We had that well before he came on the scene. He just put that front and center.

Again. He adopted his language to conservative views, not the other way around. I'm honestly puzzled how you could think otherwise, given that myself and many conservatives have been bashing the media for so long for this very reason.

Quote:
That's a bizarre strawman. I never said it was specifically because it was Trump, I said that you're only eating it up today because Trump fed it to you.


That's a pretty narrow distinction though. So it's not "because it was Trump" but "because Trump fed it to you"? Um... What?

I'm not "eating it up today" for any reason other than I've been waiting for a Republican to be strong enough to come out and say this for years and years now. Surely you recall how many times we've had a discussion were I'll say something like "this is how conservative view this", and you'll respond by pointing to quotes from GOP members not saying those things, or using softer language, or whatever. I'll then respond by pointing out that they say things that way because they're trying to be politically correct, or are afraid of backlash, bad media coverage, etc. And you'll respond with some snarky comment about how weak the Republican politicians must be if they're afraid to say what they really think. We've had this same exchange at least a dozen times on this forum, on a variety of topics, from border security, to media bias, to school choice, to global warming, and most famously to the aborted investigation of Fannie and Freddie (where the GOP backed off investigation out of fear of being labeled anti-poor and anti-minority by investigating programs that were designed to help those folks become homeowners). You remember that, don't you?

So now, we've got a Republican politician attacking the tool normally used to bash Republicans who dare to step outside the normal PC boundaries, just like you've argued in the past they should do, if they had the courage to do so. And instead of recognizing this, you're running off on a tangent insisting said politician has somehow brainwashed us all or something. Its funny because you've many times bashed the GOP for being afraid to take on the media. Well, you just got your wish. How do you like it?

Quote:
Absolutely the messenger didn't really matter (face it, this was really a Steve Bannon invention, not something Trump brainstormed). What mattered was having enough people dumb enough to fall for it. But, as the saying goes, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.


What I find most interesting is that absence of any argument that the mainstream media *isn't* biased as we claim.

Isn't that the core point here? I'm not sure what you think we're "falling for" here. We're falling for someone saying the very things we've wanted GOP politicians to say for decades? If I have to "fall for" that, then sign me up. Wow. Someone finally is saying what I've wanted them to say. I must be a complete fool to fall for that one!

Seriously? Again, you've got the directionality backwards. Trump's saying the things that conservatives want to be said, not the other way around.

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 7:05pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#547 Oct 03 2017 at 7:44 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Wow. So not only did the forum somehow interpret some random keystroke as a command to post what I was writing (in the middle of a sentence), it double posted it too. Bonus!

Edited, Oct 3rd 2017 6:46pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#548 Oct 03 2017 at 8:22 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Protest blocks streets illegally?
It wasn't illegal.


The counter protesters who were blocking streets and were not inside the approved area absolutely were engaged in an illegal protest. Saying "it" wasn't illegal is a bait and switch. The actual approved protest was not illegal (the "it" in your sentence, presumably). But that's not what I was talking about, so congrats on making a truthful but irrelevant statement (kinda like the mainstream media).

Quote:
gbaji wrote:
Players intentionally disrespect the anthem and flag?
A practice begun in 2009, said was now disrespectful by a guy who regularly defends a flag flown by traitors and deserters.


You are misinformed. Not surprising since the internet is full of false and half true information on this. The change in 2009 was made to prime time games. The players have always been expected to be on the field and standing for the anthem. There was a period of time where, at the request of the networks, players would emerge on the field from the locker rooms *after* the anthem was played. This was for ratings, and nothing more, and was only for prime times game (Sunday Night, Monday Night, and Thursday Night games). They ended the practice in 2009 in order to make all games consistent with regard to the national anthem.

It's incredibly misleading to take that and conclude that players never stood at attention for the anthem until 2009. But then, you'd have to spend a tiny bit of time separating fact from fiction. Which I'm assuming you didn't bother to do.

Quote:
You have the order wrong. You were wrong for well over a decade, and 45 repeats it because he knows all he had to do to win your vote was to play to your fears, and now you're continuing to repeat it because you have a spokesperson.


You can't honestly believe that I wouldn't be talking about media bias right now if it weren't for Trump. I'm honestly curious what you think I should be doing here? I've been arguing this point for a decade or two, on this forum, but no that Trump comes along and makes the same point, I should abandon it?

That seems... odd. My position hasn't changed at all. Why should I change it if Trump joins in or not? Seriously, you guys make zero sense here. Doubly so since your entire argument seems based, not on the veracity of the claims about media bias, but that since Trump is now saying the same thing, it somehow makes it invalid.

But it's not about Trump. Gotcha! I mean, you're right to a point. As I said earlier, if Bush had come out like this against the mainstream media, you'd be saying it's about Bush. It's not about the specific person in this case, but that there is a person saying it. You'd be arguing we're all just parroting <insert politician here> no matter who the politician actually is. But that's kinda the point. You're making it entirely about a politician saying something somehow making it wrong.

If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think it's not really that you think we're parroting what they are saying, but that you're concerned about the fact that they have joined in saying it. And you're desperate to find anyway to delegitimize the thing being said. And when you do this, you reach into your bag of tired old attacks and "parroting what the GOP says" comes out.

It's like when someone on Fox News says something I've been saying all along, I'm somehow now "parroting" them. Same deal. Same tired attack. And again, all the while, you're avoiding actually discussing the core question of whether the claim itself is true. Is the media overwhelmingly biased in favor of liberal positions? Does that bias make their coverage equivalent to "fake news"? Even if it doesn't, is calling them that a legitimate way to call attention to that media bias? I happen to think so.

I think you don't like it because it's working and it's attacking a precious resource the left uses to manipulate public opinion. But that's just my own crazy theory.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#551 Oct 03 2017 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,293 posts
gbaji wrote:
I think you don't like it because it's working
I pointed out his tactic worked great just a couple weeks ago. Specifically, the tactic of telling enormous lies to gullible people.


gbaji wrote:
and it's attacking a precious resource
Namely, the integrity of our country and it's government.


Keep on bowing to Moloch, gbaji. I'm sure that statue will come to life aaaaany minute now.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 96 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (96)