Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Time to give Trump Presidency it's own Thread.Follow

#152 Jun 23 2017 at 5:35 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Sekulow's comments (and 's tweet) were examples of reductio ad absurdum,
It requires everyone from the top of the administration to the random online cheerleaders repeating Kellyanne Conway talking points to be functionally retarded, but I guess it's possible since, well, there seems little evidence to contradict the theory that they are, in fact, functionally retarded.


No. It only requires that the listener have a basic understanding of sarcasm.

It also requires the listener, when faced with statements like this to not just leap to the quick gotcha of "OMG! He just contradicted himself", but rather examine the statements and noodle out why the other person might have made them. However, as we discussed in the other thread, it's obvious that when you are faced with such a scenario, you relish leaping to the absurd conclusion that the other person is engaging in direct contradiction rather than any far more likely and reasonable conclusion.

You get five seconds of satisfaction pretending that the other person is an idiot who can't keep his own position straight, but every sane person thinks you're the idiot because you're insisting on assuming the most absurd explanation instead of something else that makes more sense. Unless you're actively looking for contradiction in Trump's statements so you can point at it and declare it to be a contradiction, it was pretty obvious what he meant. He was pointing out that if the WaPO leak was true, then it would mean something completely ridiculous. Ergo, the leak is probably not true.

Everyone outside of the liberal bubble got this immediately. So yeah, you might want to check who is making themselves look increasingly stupid here.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#153 Jun 23 2017 at 9:49 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
You get that investigation is also to discover crimes right? If I were to die right now and my body was discovered, the police would conduct a small investigation to see if I had died of natural causes. They don't know that a crime was committed; they are investigating to see if a crime was committed.

What we know right now is that Russia attempted to influence the election in Trumps favor, and that they successfully hacked the DNC, stole files, modified them with false content, and distributed them as propaganda. We also know that they attempted to directly access voting systems, but as of yet have no evidence any votes were changed.

Those facts alone are highly disconcerting, and--in their zeal to defend and insulate Trump--supporters are glossing over a foreign and not entirely friendly nation's efforts to disrupt our democratic process. You say it is a fishing expedition. Yes. That's exactly what an investigation is. There is strong reason to suspect collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, and so our intelligence agencies are attempting to gather evidence to determine to what extent that may be true, along with everything else. You don't conduct an investigation after you already convict someone as guilty; you conduct an investigation to gather the evidence to convict them of guilt.

A witch hunt is when an opposition lead committee finds you innocent of any wrongdoing, but still decides to run you through the wringer 6 more times, just to be extra sure. I wonder what your thoughts on that would be eh?

Edited, Jun 23rd 2017 10:55pm by Allegory
#154 Jun 23 2017 at 10:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The order that Mueller is operating under states:
Quote:
(b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

(c) If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters....

Investigating obstruction or fiscal illegalities or other matters is not a "witch hunt" or "fishing", it's an explicit part of Mueller's scope. Whining about Mueller investigating Kusher's financial ties to Russia for example is just petty tantrum throwing -- Mueller is empowered, and indeed directed, to do just that. But people like Gbaji would rather see crimes committed by Republicans go unprosecuted than to let the system work if it means they might lose even a sliver of power.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#155 Jun 24 2017 at 7:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,212 posts
Allegory wrote:
You get that investigation is also to discover crimes right? If I were to die right now and my body was discovered, the police would conduct a small investigation to see if I had died of natural causes. They don't know that a crime was committed; they are investigating to see if a crime was committed.

What we know right now is that Russia attempted to influence the election in Trumps favor, and that they successfully hacked the DNC, stole files, modified them with false content, and distributed them as propaganda. We also know that they attempted to directly access voting systems, but as of yet have no evidence any votes were changed.

Those facts alone are highly disconcerting, and--in their zeal to defend and insulate Trump--supporters are glossing over a foreign and not entirely friendly nation's efforts to disrupt our democratic process. You say it is a fishing expedition. Yes. That's exactly what an investigation is. There is strong reason to suspect collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, and so our intelligence agencies are attempting to gather evidence to determine to what extent that may be true, along with everything else. You don't conduct an investigation after you already convict someone as guilty; you conduct an investigation to gather the evidence to convict them of guilt.

A witch hunt is when an opposition lead committee finds you innocent of any wrongdoing, but still decides to run you through the wringer 6 more times, just to be extra sure. I wonder what your thoughts on that would be eh?

Edited, Jun 23rd 2017 10:55pm by Allegory


But what about Benghazi?
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#156 Jun 26 2017 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,477 posts
This post was fun.
gbaji wrote:
It only requires that the listener have a basic understanding of sarcasm.
Don't worry, I doubt that week you spent insisting how a joke about pyramids couldn't possibly be a joke because it wasn't historically accurate won't diminish your claim of just how great you are at detecting sarcasm.
gbaji wrote:
You get five seconds of satisfaction pretending that the other person is an idiot who can't keep his own position straight, but every sane person thinks you're the idiot.
Look, it's very possible that there are more voices in your head than posters on this board, but that doesn't actually make you the group consensus.
gbaji wrote:
Everyone outside of the liberal bubble got this immediately.
When you're as biased as you are you're going to immediately accept any absurd explanation that's given you. Yeah yeah, it's just a coincidence Conway dropped the sarcasm excuse the day before you started in on it.
gbaji wrote:
So yeah, you might want to check who is making themselves look increasingly stupid here.
Observable data, input from various sources going back years and calculating inverse probability matrices shows it's still you.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#157 Jun 26 2017 at 8:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Gbaji is a guy who really can't read an audience.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#158 Jun 27 2017 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,054 posts
You people keep forgetting about the silent majority who always PM him to keep up the good fight.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#159 Jun 27 2017 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
[*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************** guy gives wonderful quotes...[/link]

Edit: Well that link went over well... Smiley: lol

realclearpolitics.com look for the "CNN Producer Caught on Tape Calling Russia Story BS" article for the 27th if you want to see the video and read more.

Quote:
"I haven’t seen any good enough evidence to show that the President committed a crime," he said. "I just feel like they don’t really have it but they want to keep digging. And so I think the President is probably right to say, like, look you are witch hunting me. You have no smoking gun, you have no real proof."

He also said: "It’s a business, people are like the media has an ethical phssssss…All the nice cutesy little ethics that used to get talked about in journalism school you’re just like, that’s adorable. That’s adorable. This is a business."


I mean 24-hour news networks are already thought highly of, so I'm sure this will help. Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jun 27th 2017 11:30am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#160 Jun 27 2017 at 12:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,305 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
You people keep forgetting about the silent majority who always PM him to keep up the good fight.


Silent Majority is my alt account. I also have an alt account named Simple Majority. There's a whole S&M theme
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#161 Jun 27 2017 at 1:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I like how the "CNN producer" stories all gloss over that Bonifield is supervising producer of CNN Health and isn't part of its major news or political news divisions.

Aside from that, O'Keefe was ultimately full of shit about ACORN and Planned Parenthood so call me when he releases the full videos.

Edited, Jun 27th 2017 2:47pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#162 Jun 27 2017 at 2:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I like how the "CNN producer" stories all gloss over that Bonifield is supervising producer of CNN Health
Well "was" will likely be more accurate at the rate he's going, as he seems to be a natural with the whole PR thing. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#163 Jun 27 2017 at 2:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Sure. Point being that the story is like the Ford VP of Marketing saying "The Ford Tallywacker is kind of shitty" and reporting it as "Ford Vice President says Tallywacker is Shitty!!!". Technically true but the fact that they're not really being honest says a lot in what sort of story there actually is. Of course, this is O'Keefe whose every story has been based on deception and clever editing of the facts to make it sensational so, yeah. Sort of surprised that people keep falling for this guy.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#164 Jun 27 2017 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Sure. Point being that the story is like the Ford VP of Marketing saying "The Ford Tallywacker is kind of shitty" and reporting it as "Ford Vice President says Tallywacker is Shitty!!!".
"After the public already knows it's a shitty car." You forgot that part. Smiley: wink

Seriously though, what 24-hour news network doesn't do shitty sensationalism to keep ratings up? Don't see how this is at all surprising.

Edited, Jun 27th 2017 2:11pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#165 Jun 27 2017 at 4:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'm surprised they weren't covering a plane crash for day 1,691
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#166 Jun 28 2017 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
They'll find 14C's luggage any day now.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#167 Jul 10 2017 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Well, we've evolved from "There's no evidence of any collusion!" to "Well, so what if there was?" and the Donald J Trump Jr defense of "Sure, I met with a Kremlin-linked lawyer who promised me damaging material related to the Clinton campaign but actually that information was junk so it doesn't really count..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#169 Jul 10 2017 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,477 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Well, we've evolved from "There's no evidence of any collusion!" to "Well, so what if there was?" and the Donald J Trump Jr defense of "Sure, I met with a Kremlin-linked lawyer who promised me damaging material related to the Clinton campaign but actually that information was junk so it doesn't really count..."
I knew having this prepared was going to pay off sooner than later.
George Carlin wrote:
But the politicians, god bless them or something like that, they are at their most entertaining when they are in trouble. When they are in trouble, their explanations usually began simply with words like miscommunication. What did you wrong Senator? Well, it was a miscommunication or I was quoted out of context, better yet and more ironic, they twisted my words. Such a nice touch, a person who routinely spends his days torturing the language complains, they twisted my words.

Then, as the controversy continues to heat up, he moves to his next level of complaint, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. The whole, it’s always the whole thing, apparently, no one has never claimed that only a small portion of something was blown out of proportion. It has to be the whole thing, that’s because now he is feeling the heat. And so, as time passes and more evidence comes in, he suddenly changes directions and tells us, we are trying to get to the bottom of this, now he is on the side of law and orders, jujitsu, really.

We are trying to get to the bottom of this, so we can get the facts out to the American people that’s always a nice touch, American people. In fact, at this point, he might even say, I am willing to trust in the fairness of the American people. Clearly, he is preparing us for something.

And so, and finally all the facts comes out on our subject seems quite guilty, he employs that sublime use of the passive voice, mistakes were made. Mistakes were made, don’t look at me, probably someone in my office, things are moving faster now, mistakes were made is rapidly overtaken, but there is no evidence, no one has proven anything.

Eventually, I will be exonerated, I have faith in the American judicial system, and that certain sign that things are closing in, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty, whatever happened, well now, yeah, well he is about to find out. And we know this must be true, because the next thing we hear from him is, I just want to put this thing behind me, and get on with my life. I just want to put this behind me, that’s an expression we hear a lot these days in all walks of life.

From people in all walks of life, usually the person in question has committed some unspeakable act, yes, it’s true, I strangled my wife, shot the triplets, set fire to the house and sold my young son to an old man on the train, but now I just want to put this thing behind. That’s the problem in this country, too many people are getting on with their lives. I think what we really need more of is ritual suicide, you know never mind the press conferences, get the big knife out of the drawer.

Personally, what I want to do is to put this, I want to put this thing behind me and get on with my life, thing behind me, and get on with my life. I’ll repeat that for you, personally I want to put, I want to put this, I want to put this thing behind me, and get on with my life, thing behind me and get on with my life. And just to round out this section, let’s hope there is a special place in **** reserved for those who have recently decided to take responsibility for their actions, that’s the big thing now, taking responsibility for your actions, like it’s a recent discovery, you know.

He is taking responsibility for his actions, well, isn’t that wonderful? Ask him, if he is willing to take responsibility for my actions, along with my alimony and my car payments, and my gambling debts.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#170 Jul 10 2017 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,180 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Well, we've evolved from "There's no evidence of any collusion!" to "Well, so what if there was?" and the Donald J Trump Jr defense of "Sure, I met with a Kremlin-linked lawyer who promised me damaging material related to the Clinton campaign but actually that information was junk so it doesn't really count..."



That's what I took away from it as well. "Okay, I did meet with them, but what they were offering was worthless! So we talked about adoptions, which were curtailed because of sanctions. Hey, is that important?"

It's a short step now until someone says "Won't someone think of the ORPHANS?"
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#171 Jul 10 2017 at 2:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,212 posts
Hey, he met with Putin who promised not to meddle in US elections against Trump as long as he is in office. Case closed. Case. Closed.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#172 Jul 10 2017 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,180 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Hey, he met with Putin who promised not to meddle in US elections against Trump as long as he is in office. Case closed. Case. Closed.


And he even wanted to set up a cyber with Putin! He was so excited about it. Poor little Donnie Two-Scoops, no one lets him have any fun.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#173 Jul 10 2017 at 9:37 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Johpiel wrote:
Well, we've evolved from "There's no evidence of any collusion!" to "Well, so what if there was?" and the Donald J Trump Jr defense of "Sure, I met with a Kremlin-linked lawyer who promised me damaging material related to the Clinton campaign but actually that information was junk so it doesn't really count..."

This is honestly not all that bad for Trump, having it slowly trickle and escalate.

It's funny to mock, but at some point when it reaches "Sure Putin has a button that directly controls each individual American's life." you have to stop laughing.
#174 Jul 10 2017 at 11:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,212 posts
"You can collude all you want with a foreign government in an election. There’s no such statute."
"Collusion is not a crime"
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody"
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#175 Jul 11 2017 at 7:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Allegory wrote:
This is honestly not all that bad for Trump, having it slowly trickle and escalate.

That's certainly not the conventional wisdom. Even Trump and his people are frustrated at how they can't put the "Russian thing" behind them.

The constant drip erodes Trump's standing as they are caught time and again in lies. It cuts at his legitimacy -- not in a "He's not really president" strawman but it makes people care less that he's president since he has less and less of a mandate as more information comes out about how the election was won. This is a real concern for Trump which is why he constantly goes apeshit when someone points out popular vote totals and tries to reinforce his electoral win at every opportunity. It diminishes the United States' standing with the rest of the world when they suspect that our president owes something to Russia. It takes the air out of the room when trying to enact his agenda as legislators are asked to publicly ally with someone who may be under indictment in the future (or, if not him, his kids or other inner campaign staff). It means that Trump never has a good news day because something new is dripping out every day.

Worse, this won't be behind him any time soon. By the time Mueller is done and then you have the Congressional meetings and investigations in to Mueller's report, you're looking at 2018 at least, maybe even 2019.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#176 Jul 11 2017 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Jophiel wrote:
It means that Trump never has a good news day because something new is dripping out every day.
Erry day is a good news day as long as Fox News exist.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#177 Jul 11 2017 at 9:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Every day it gets a little worse. From today's NYT:
Quote:
The June 3, 2016, email sent to Donald Trump Jr. could hardly have been more explicit: One of his father’s former Russian business partners had been contacted by a senior Russian government official and was offering to provide the Trump campaign with dirt on Hillary Clinton.

The documents “would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father,” read the email, written by a trusted intermediary, who added, “This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.

If the future president’s elder son was surprised or disturbed by the provenance of the promised material — or the notion that it was part of an ongoing effort by the Russian government to aid his father’s campaign — he gave no indication.

He replied within minutes: “If it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer.”

No, no collusion there at all.

As someone else noted this morning (that I'm too lazy to look up and possibly attribute), if this is what the New York Times has, imagine what Bob Mueller knows. Which probably explains why he keeps staffing the investigation up. If this is "fishing", Mueller is probably going to pull a big ole sturgeon up onto the ice.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#178 Jul 11 2017 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Jophiel wrote:
NYT wrote:
The June 3, 2016, email sent to
Are emails relevant or not this week? They were the absolute most importantest thing in the world six months ago, but stories change so rapidly that even with three tvs it's tough to keep track.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#179 Jul 11 2017 at 2:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Loving it.

I'm actually hoping this all went exactly as Jr. and Ms Veselnitskaya said it did, because that would be hilarious. Gal uses a fake story about having dirt on Hillary to get the Trump campaign's attention so she can hype her pet charitable cause; Trump campaign tentatively bites and sets up a meeting. Junior walks in and realizes within 5 minutes that they were duped and this complete rubbish she's spouting was just a ploy to talk about adoptions. Despite that news of the meeting got around to enough people to trigger the increased attention from the people who care about these kinds of things. In the end, none of this was real to begin with, just someone lying to get the ear of a politician. Except now there's reason to suspect they intended to collude with a foreign government, and based on the intent they showed people could be in serious trouble. This "meeting" which barely was a blip on anyone's radar has now become the scandal that won't die. Smiley: laugh

Aww, American politics you are so **** entertaining at times. Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jul 11th 2017 2:23pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#180 Jul 11 2017 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,785 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Every day it gets a little worse. From today's NYT:
Quote:
The June 3, 2016, email sent to Donald Trump Jr. could hardly have been more explicit: One of his father’s former Russian business partners had been contacted by a senior Russian government official and was offering to provide the Trump campaign with dirt on Hillary Clinton.

The documents “would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father,” read the email, written by a trusted intermediary, who added, “This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.

If the future president’s elder son was surprised or disturbed by the provenance of the promised material — or the notion that it was part of an ongoing effort by the Russian government to aid his father’s campaign — he gave no indication.

He replied within minutes: “If it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer.”

No, no collusion there at all.

As someone else noted this morning (that I'm too lazy to look up and possibly attribute), if this is what the New York Times has, imagine what Bob Mueller knows. Which probably explains why he keeps staffing the investigation up. If this is "fishing", Mueller is probably going to pull a big ole sturgeon up onto the ice.


Strangely enough, NPR yesterday was offering defense (of a sort) likening it to the Clinton campaign receiving information from Ukraine on Trump campaign members dealing with Pro-Russian Ukrainian folk to be used to harm Trump during the elections.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#181 Jul 11 2017 at 4:01 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,785 posts
Edit:
What ever they are doing to try to fix these double posts, actually just made it worse cause I'm doing it now and never did before.

Edited, Jul 11th 2017 6:03pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#182 Jul 11 2017 at 6:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Yeah, I don't think "But Clinton... Smiley: cry " is going to make the difference here.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#183 Jul 11 2017 at 11:40 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Jophiel wrote:
That's certainly not the conventional wisdom.

I was referring to the gradual increase in pressure (as opposed to the depth being revealed all at once and maintaining that level of importance in public discourse).

Anecdotally, I have a sizeable circle of Trump supporting friends and family, and this may only reinforce their opinion of him, because to them he is ******* off all the right people. Trump won in part, by people underestimating his supporters, thinking surely they'd see through him. His approval rating has held nearly constant. They don't care. Any inconvenient truth is fake news. A slow trickle isn't better than no criticism at all, but it's better than a flood as it gives his team and supporters time to adjust the narrative and shape the facts as well as normalize the current criticism.

Maybe it's the bigotry of low expectations on my part.
#185 Jul 12 2017 at 7:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Allegory wrote:
His approval rating has held nearly constant.

Constantly around 40% Smiley: wink2

But I don't disagree about the supporters. Trump has a core of supporters who are True Believers no matter what and the GOP is largely beholden to them. It may only be 35% of Americans but that 35% probably makes up 70% of GOP primary voters so, if you want to stay in office, you just suck it up, put on a smile, and make excuses for Trump as the country falls apart.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#186 Jul 12 2017 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Strangely enough, NPR yesterday was offering defense (of a sort) likening it to the Clinton campaign receiving information from Ukraine on Trump campaign members dealing with Pro-Russian Ukrainian folk to be used to harm during the elections.
NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence and people insisted they were spreading propaganda and calling for a revolution.

Best July 4th ever.

Edited, Jul 12th 2017 9:28am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#187 Jul 12 2017 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I wonder if it was "NPR" as in one of its hosts or if it was a caller/guest. The Ukraine thing is hot on the GOP Talking Points Hit Parade right now as they scramble for any sort of defense.

The thing is though -- it doesn't matter. Not at all. You don't get to break the law and then say "But that guy...". There's very real differences between the DNC (not Clinton) and Ukraine and Trump-Russia but the whole reason for bringing it up is to move the story away from "Trump's campaign did XYZ" and to instead bog it down in a pointless debate on whose side is worse. Clinton is neither the issue nor a defense in discussing the Trump collusion investigation.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#188 Jul 12 2017 at 8:32 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,785 posts
The "defense" was brought up by the NPR host. Under a discussion with a guest who was against Trump, but discussing whether things like info from these groups that could hurt their opponents was actually illegal. The consensus of this anti-Trump guest and the NPR host was that it wasn't, likening it to Clinton and Ukraine, but that while it may not have legal ramifications they would see if there were political ramifications to be had.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#189 Jul 12 2017 at 9:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
This seems to be the NPR interview in question (it's the only transcript mentioning Ukraine & Clinton from the past couple weeks). It doesn't seem as though Shapiro was mentioning Ukraine as a defense personally but said that "White House allies" were bringing it up. Neither compared any legal ramification from it to Trump's situation.

Again, there's significant differences between the stories but it's ultimately irrelevant anyway because what Clinton (the DNC, actually) did or didn't do has no impact on any breaches committed by the Trump campaign.

Edited, Jul 12th 2017 10:38am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#190 Jul 12 2017 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
TirithRR wrote:
but that while it may not have legal ramifications they would see if there were political ramifications to be had.
If nothing else it's a great answer to the "why was the government wiretapping my home?" twitter rant of a couple months back.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#191 Jul 12 2017 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,785 posts
I'm pretty sure that the discussion I listened to was a female host on NPR. Not Shapiro.

Also I think it was on 7/10 that I listened to it. Prior to this linked one. But I only listen on my 15 minute drives to work and back home. So I only catch snippets of these interviews.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#192 Jul 12 2017 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
...

Edited, Jul 12th 2017 11:24am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#193 Jul 12 2017 at 10:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Dunno. There's no other similar transcripts in their archives. Guess there ain't much more to say about an interview no one heard but you and you only half remember Smiley: laugh

Edit: Searching for "Ukranian" instead of "Ukraine" has this transcript from the 10th which is Shapiro again and an NPR correspondent saying (paraphrased) "Trump supporters are using this defense..."

Edited, Jul 12th 2017 11:26am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#194 Jul 12 2017 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
.

Edited, Jul 12th 2017 6:22pm by Allegory
#195 Jul 12 2017 at 5:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Allegory wrote:
.

That's only for doubleposts, yo.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#196 Jul 12 2017 at 7:28 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Funny story. I hit post last night and went to the failed post page, slept, then hit f5 today when I got back home. So it's actually a very long double post.
#197 Jul 12 2017 at 7:28 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Funny story. I hit post last night and went to the failed post page, slept, then hit f5 today when I got back home. So it's actually a very long double post.
#198 Jul 12 2017 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Okay, I get it. Traffic slowed down so now every post is a double to make up for it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#199 Jul 13 2017 at 12:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
So Veselnitskaya was apparently a Hillary supporter that was working as a double agent to frame Trump Jr. and give the administration the ammunition it needed to get a FISA warrant so that Obama could spy on Trump and pass the information back to the DNC.

Not sure I have enough tinfoil to swallow that; but I may spend $1 to rent it from McDonalds if the movie got decent reviews. Would be better than watching Tangled for the 518th time at least.

Smiley: popcorn
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#200 Jul 13 2017 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I liked the "Look! Here's a photo of her at a Congressional meeting!" evidence. Because if you're smuggling in a Russian spy to trap people, what you naturally do is put them in Congressional meetings.

Of course, even if it defied all logic and was true, it still wouldn't matter. Trump Jr would have still read emails saying "Hey, this Kremlin-linked lawyer has information from the high ranks of the Russian government that they want to give you to beat Clinton" and answered "I love it" and set up a meeting. There's no way to spin that as someone else's fault that makes it okay.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#201 Jul 13 2017 at 2:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
If there's one thing I truly enjoy it's watching the far-right connect the dots.

We'll ignore the problem that half the dots aren't real, that just ruins the fun, but you listen to someone and he'll point out that Bob's Uncle has a condo in some town and goes golfing with Carl and Fred. Carl owns several pizza chains in Mexico that were used by a drug cartel to hide contraband. They got away with it for a decade because Bob's 2nd cousin is the police chief in a major city near there and Fred's sister was part of the border patrol where they got the stuff into the states. Also the sister's husband's brother was the state representative for the district where the border was, and everything only got exposed because his nephew was caught trying to buy liquor with a fake I.D. while in Mexico in high-school and his bail money was marked as an miscellaneous expense when his Uncle submitted his request for travel reimbursement from the state after being down south on official business. That all got covered up quickly though, because Carl's wife is a good lawyer, but the loss of the drug money is totally why the sister's husband's brother didn't win reelection that year. Smiley: tinfoilhat

With the left you just wind up in a conversation where someone is mildly irritated that the same few stores are in almost every mall, then you point out they're all owned by the same company and you're picking their jaw up off the floor. Smiley: oyvey

Edited, Jul 13th 2017 1:41pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 54 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (54)