Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

DC area shooting.Follow

#1 Jun 14 2017 at 6:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,212 posts
House Rep majority whip was shot.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#2 Jun 14 2017 at 7:08 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
article wrote:
Senator Mike Lee, a Utah Republican, texted Fox News to say that Mr Scalise had been shot in the hip and would survive.

He said someone had used a belt as a tourniquet on him.
So either the writer made a mistake, Mike doesn't know what a tourniquet actually does but wanted it to sound impressive, or they cut off all blood circulation to Scalise's entire lower body because they really hate him. I'm going to go ahead and assume door number one.

Story is pretty unbelievable all the way around. Indiana Jones taught us years ago that whips beats guns all the time.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jun 14 2017 at 7:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Something something it's all about mental health something something

News coverage
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4 Jun 14 2017 at 8:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
If he was a real Republican he would have been carrying a gun and defended himself. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#5 Jun 14 2017 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
**
551 posts
Something something Otherized Flyover Country-JesusLand politico something something deserved it something something untermench Mormon racist teabagger.

Because Sarah Palin and her ****** kid. Gabby Giffordz!
#6 Jun 14 2017 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Something something DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#7 Jun 14 2017 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,392 posts
Yay here's another one!
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#8 Jun 14 2017 at 12:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Trappin wrote:
Something something Otherized Flyover Country-JesusLand politico something something deserved it something something untermench Mormon racist teabagger.

Because Sarah Palin and her ****** kid. Gabby Giffordz!

Do you have a newsletter?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#9 Jun 14 2017 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
Is he a Bernie supporter too? Because that would make today even more fun.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#10 Jun 14 2017 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Supposedly he volunteered on the Sanders campaign.

Told ya those guys were no good.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#11 Jun 14 2017 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,212 posts
Someone missed out on a great title.

"Whip hip tip clipped by dip."
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#12 Jun 14 2017 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,305 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Someone missed out on a great title.

"Whip hip tip clipped by dip."


Was it on the strip?

Edited, Jun 14th 2017 3:37pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#13 Jun 15 2017 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Kind of a trip.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Jun 15 2017 at 9:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
ipswitch
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#15 Jun 15 2017 at 8:48 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
article wrote:
Senator Mike Lee, a Utah Republican, texted Fox News to say that Mr Scalise had been shot in the hip and would survive.

He said someone had used a belt as a tourniquet on him.
So either the writer made a mistake, Mike doesn't know what a tourniquet actually does but wanted it to sound impressive, or they cut off all blood circulation to Scalise's entire lower body because they really hate him. I'm going to go ahead and assume door number one.


Yeah. There was a lobbyist who was shot in the leg and they applied a tourniquet. No way to know if the statement from the Senator was incorrect, or a reporter conflated statements made about two different people into one. Not really that important either way though.

One of the bits that I noticed was MSNBC interviewing some guy from the Y across the street who was "absolutely certain" that the weapon used was an AK47. I immediately assumed this was complete BS, since it seems like every weapon used in a shooting is described as one of a couple popularly known automatic fire capable military weapons (despite no mass shooting or attempted mass shooting I can think of ever actually using either of them, but let's not let facts get in the way of scary rhetoric). I did expect that the weapon would at least look like an AK47, perhaps a semi-auto variant, but that wasn't the case either. The weapon used was an SKS 7.62, which looks pretty much nothing like an AK47. It looks a lot more like a normal hunting rifle in fact.

This has not prevented many media outlets from describing it as an AK47 variant and calling it an "assault weapon/rifle", presumably because as far as the media is concerned any rifle with semi-auto capability can be called that. What's really funny is that this rifle was not even included in the 1994 "assault weapons" ban. It's not a "military style" weapon. Has no fancy stock, pistol grips, large hanging magazines, or any of the other purely cosmetic features that got weapons put on that list. It seriously looks like your grandfather's hunting rifle (and could very well have been used that way, given it's a really really old and cheap design).

Never let a shooting go to waste though. We've got an anti-gun agenda to pursue!!!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#16 Jun 15 2017 at 9:48 PM Rating: Excellent
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2011/03/27/115981_01_russian_sks_7_62_39_640.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/01/16/858751_02_norinco_sks_7_62x39_come_with__640.jpg
?

Edited, Jun 15th 2017 10:50pm by Xsarus
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#17 Jun 15 2017 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,511 posts
The 30 round mag is what makes it an AK.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#18 Jun 15 2017 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
I wasn't sure if I should go with gbaji turning the thread into a gun debate by complaining about how liberals will turn the issue into a gun debate or poke at how he tacitly admitted to getting his news from somewhere, but hen I realized I could do both by framing it as a a lame joke about being unable to decide between the two before finally covering my tracks with a lampshade.
#19 Jun 15 2017 at 10:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I had a nice post with links illustrating how there's many SKS 7.62 rifles that don't look like "Aw shucks, Grandpa's old possum huntin' rifle" but the forum ate it and now I don't give a shit.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Jun 15 2017 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Quote:
and now I don't give a ****.

As evidenced by your telling us about it.
#21 Jun 15 2017 at 11:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Well, yeah. If I gave a shit, I would have looked the image links back up and recomposed it at considerably more effort than telling about it (or even this reply). Try and keep up Smiley: schooled
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#22 Jun 15 2017 at 11:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Smiley: monkey

Edited, Jun 16th 2017 12:14am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Jun 16 2017 at 2:15 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,348 posts
You could have just absorbed Xsarus' post like you've done to all the other admins.


Tilt is nothing more than a cover up.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#24 Jun 16 2017 at 8:24 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Allegory wrote:
poke at how he tacitly admitted to getting his news from somewhere
Fine, I'll take the bait.
gbaji wrote:
This has not prevented many media outlets from describing it as an AK47 variant
The same media outlets you don't watch or read but extrapolate their reactions from the pattern of posts from the mostly liberal posters on this board?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Jun 16 2017 at 8:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
To be fair, Gbaji likely just reads the Mediate or similar right-wing blog complaining about how unfair the media is.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#26 Jun 16 2017 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Not that I was paying particularly close attention, but of the three news stations that play around my office the only people that were really hysterical over the DC shooting yesterday* the other day was Newt Gingrich, and even Fox News pretty much mocked him for it.

* My time machine experiments worked, as I seem to have lost a day.

Edited, Jun 16th 2017 11:16am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#27 Jun 20 2017 at 8:30 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
Debalic wrote:
The 30 round mag is what makes it an AK.


Uh. And the pistol grip. Completely different stock. And well, just about everything that people normally talk about when differentiating an "assault weapon" from a regular old rifle.

And Joph? I'd be really cautious about posting a link of image files. As I'm sure you're aware, as someone who's used the internet for more than like 10 minutes, images are tagged incorrectly all the time. If you do a google image search for sks 7.62, you'll get a number that look scarily like an AK47. The problem is that they are actually images of AK47s. The ones that look like a normal rifle, with a normal stock and normal grip, and a much much shorter magazine? Those are the images of SKS rifles.

My point was that they managed to find a guy who was "absolutely positive" it was an AK47, when the reality is that anyone who could legitimately be "absolutely positive" about what kind of weapon they were looking at could never, under any circumstances, have confused the two weapons. Heck. The second I saw the first phone video where you could hear the gun shots it was obvious to me it wasn't an AK47 of any sort. First off, it certainly wasn't automatic (not that I expected that to be the case, but I was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was mistaking a semi-auto knock off for the real thing), but it also sounded completely wrong.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#29 Jun 20 2017 at 8:36 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
This has not prevented many media outlets from describing it as an AK47 variant
The same media outlets you don't watch or read but extrapolate their reactions from the pattern of posts from the mostly liberal posters on this board?


Sigh... You manage to take deliberate ignorance to a whole new level.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Jun 21 2017 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,227 posts
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
This has not prevented many media outlets from describing it as an AK47 variant
The same media outlets you don't watch or read but extrapolate their reactions from the pattern of posts from the mostly liberal posters on this board?


Sigh... You manage to take deliberate ignorance to a whole new level.
With deliberate obfuscation like this I'm amazed Trump hasn't called you to his Cabinet yet.Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#31 Jun 21 2017 at 7:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
And Joph? I'd be really cautious about posting a link of image files. As I'm sure you're aware, as someone who's used the internet for more than like 10 minutes, images are tagged incorrectly all the time. If you do a google image search for sks 7.62, you'll get a number that look scarily like an AK47. The problem is that they are actually images of AK47s. The ones that look like a normal rifle, with a normal stock and normal grip, and a much much shorter magazine? Those are the images of SKS rifles.

Yeah, little tech tip for you. From the Google Image Search, there's a button you can press to actually go to the website and read about what's being shown. Like, say, this top line hit where I'm going to assume that the good people at First Stop Gun know what sort of gun they were selling. Or this one from Dark Wolf Defense that looks just like Pappy's Ole Varmint Rifle, let me tell ya. But thanks for taking the time to warn me away from looking at things for myself and instead putting full faith in the "long rifles means any rifle, all my friends down at the gun range told me so!" guy.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#32 Jun 21 2017 at 7:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'll use this double post to make the clarification that I'm not saying that the SKS looks exactly like an AK47, I'm laughing at the "It seriously looks like your grandfather's hunting rifle" description. While there are some SKS rifles that look quaintly traditional, many do not.

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 8:31am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#34 Jun 21 2017 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
gbaji wrote:
You manage to take deliberate ignorance to a whole new level.
I guess it's a little amusing that you're trying to distract from your media contradiction by contradicting your stance on personal attacks. You know you wouldn't have these problems if you could just keep your stories straight.
Jophiel wrote:
But thanks for taking the time to warn me away from looking at things for myself and instead putting full faith in the "long rifles means any rifle, all my friends down at the gun range told me so!" guy.
He saw parts of Rambo once on SpikeTV so he's an expert on all firearms.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#35 Jun 21 2017 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,305 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Like, say, this top line hit where I'm going to assume that the good people at First Stop Gun know what sort of gun they were selling.


Screenshot

Man, you can't even get a gun under President-for-Life Trump

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 6:50am by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#36 Jun 21 2017 at 8:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Scroll down. Much like an expire eBay listing, the info is still there. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#37 Jun 21 2017 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,305 posts
Yeah, but that would ruin my joke!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#38 Jun 21 2017 at 9:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Debating how much or how little an SKS looks like an AK47 is no time for jokes! Dis iz srs bizness
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#39 Jun 21 2017 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
It's always serious business when a liberal on these boards has to bring up the types of weapons just to complain about the types of weapons used during a shooting.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#40 Jun 21 2017 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,896 posts
Why do liberals always have to make these shootings about gun bans? Can't you just make some stupid rhyming jokes instead?
#41 Jun 21 2017 at 5:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Something something no gun bans,
Something something rusty vans,
Something something big red cap,
Something something...
time for nap.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#42 Jun 21 2017 at 8:44 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'll use this double post to make the clarification that I'm not saying that the SKS looks exactly like an AK47, I'm laughing at the "It seriously looks like your grandfather's hunting rifle" description. While there are some SKS rifles that look quaintly traditional, many do not.


Any weapon can be modified cosmetically. Same deal here. But unless he spent the time and trouble to obtain one with such modifications (larger magazine is not as difficult, but pistol grip and folding stock are not likely to be sitting on the shelf at the local gun store), it's about 99% likely that the one he was using looked like the one in your first link and not your second. Again, I suppose if it had a larger magazine it's possible someone might maybe have confused it for the AK-47 (since they fire the same size round, and thus the modified magazine for the SKS would certainly have the same dimensions and shape as the one for an AK-47).

I can certainly find tons of images of Acuras with huge spoilers, low ground effects, led lighting, **** cans on the back, and a ton of other mods. But when someone says "he was driving an Acura", I tend to assume it's a normal stock Acura, and not one that's been modified, unless informed differently. So when I'm told by the officials that he used an SKS, and that he purchased it legally from a gun store in the area (which he'd only been in for a couple months), unless otherwise informed, I'm going to assume it was a stock SKS off the shelf, and not one of the ones you're pointing to.

Um... But that still misses the point I'm making. Most reasonable people, when asked, and when not actually positive what kind of weapon was used, would say that they don't know. The media who reported on this (MSNBC in this case) almost certainly had to go from person to person asking the question until they found the one useful idiot who would tell them he was "absolutely positive" it was an AK-47. Then they ran that clip on their news show (rather than probably 50 others who all either correctly identified the weapon, or properly stated that they did not know).

I mean, I get it. They want to report the news in the most dramatic fashion possible, so as to drum up business or something. But at the point where the pattern is so consistently that they get these details wrong, and they seem to deliberately seek out those wrong details so they can report them, and when those wrong details so consistently seem to align with their own not-so-secret anti-gun agenda, then yeah, it becomes beyond just bad reporting and intentionally misleading their audience.

The sad fact is that the wrong information that is reported in the first few hours of an event like this will be remembered for years, while the retractions and corrections will not. And frankly, the folks who do this know this is the case. They don't actually care about getting the facts right. They care about forming a perception that matches their agenda. And this is an easy way to do this. You and I both know that when the next inevitable round of proposed gun control regulations come along, said argument will use this shooting (among others) as support for getting "assault weapons" off the streets, and "let's reinstate the ban that was passed that the evil conservatives allowed to lapse". Even though you and I both know that the weapon certainly wasn't an "assault rifle", and that the term "assault weapon" is meaningless, and even though this weapon doesn't even meet the made up definition of "assault weapon", and was not included in the ban, it wont matter. Most of the people supporting the new proposal wont know this. They'll only remember all the incorrect labeling of this weapon as an "assault weapon", or an "AK47 variant", know that that makes it an assault weapon/rifle/whatever, and thus proclaim their outrage that such things are allowed on the street.

Worse, they'll use the fact that it was Republicans who were shot at as an argument for why conservatives should support such a ban. Cause "He shot your own guys! Don't you care about your own representatives? You should totally be supporting this ban, since it would have prevented that shooting." Yeah. Totally predictable. And sadly inevitable.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#43 Jun 21 2017 at 8:45 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
You manage to take deliberate ignorance to a whole new level.

I guess it's a little amusing that you're trying to distract from your media contradiction by contradicting your stance on personal attacks. You know you wouldn't have these problems if you could just keep your stories straight.


First off: There is no media contradiction, only an interpretation of something I said years ago, one time, taken out of context. I have never once said I do not watch/read/listen to "media", or even to "news media". Ever. What I did say, and have clarified many times was "I don't get my news from anywhere", which was in the specific context of a conversation where Joph repeatedly called "opinion" "news". I made the mistake of using his term back at him. Since then, you and several others have for years now, quoted that statement completely out of context, to suggest that I was making the absurd claim that I've never watched nor ever will watch any news program of any kind. What I clearly meant was that I don't form my opinions by merely watching news programs and blindly accepting their opinions/spin/whatever as "fact". In the discussion in question, I was presenting my opinion along with an argument in support of it, and Joph kept saying "where are you getting your news from that you think that?". Which is what led to my statement in response. I was trying to say that I was not parroting something I'd heard on a news/opinion show, which was pretty clear in the context of the conversation itself.

When the interpretation of a statement is absurd, your first assumption should be that the interpretation is wrong and to seek clarification. But in this case, and despite me clarifying that statement many many times over the years, you keep going back to it. Like a dog that just can't let go of a bone. Geez man. Drop it.

Secondly: That's not a violation of my principle of avoiding personal attacks. I'm not labeling *you*. I'm talking about an action you are performing. In this case, you are engaged in "deliberate ignorance". I did not say you were ignorant. I did not say you were stupid. I did not, in fact, call you any names at all. I correctly labeled your behavior as "deliberate ignorance", because in this case, I know that I have directly informed you as to what I meant when I made that statement years ago, and have corrected you on multiple occasions when you've made this exact sort of dismissive claim that I somehow must be lying anytime I mention something I saw on the news because that contradicts the whole "I don't get my news from anywhere" statement.

You're pretending to not know something that you do actually know. Which is deliberate ignorance (or, I suppose feigning ignorance, but whatever). This is a behavior. It's a behavior you have engaged in many times. It's not a personal attack to observe that behavior and call you out on it.

Anything else you care to be wrong about? You're batting a thousand at this point.

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 8:07pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#44 Jun 21 2017 at 9:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
ITT: Gbaji randomly guesses at what a gun might have looked like then throws a hissy fit that some media outlet didn't make the same random guess.

I especially like the "It's unlikely he bought one like that" when all of my links were to gun dealers (whoops, two dealers, one private seller) selling exactly that. Yeah, real unicorn that pistol group is.

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 10:35pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#45 Jun 21 2017 at 10:09 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
Jophiel wrote:
ITT: Gbaji randomly guesses at what a gun might have looked like then throws a hissy fit that some media outlet didn't make the same random guess.

I especially like the "It's unlikely he bought one like that" when all of my links were to gun dealers (whoops, two dealers, one private seller) selling exactly that. Yeah, real unicorn that pistol group is.


Have you ever even been inside a gun store? I'm honestly curious. Pictures on the internet are not an accurate representation of reality. Just saying. I'm not at all saying that he could not have obtained an SKS with a pistol grip, folding stock, extended magazine, and some kind of fancy scope, but if he just walked into a gun store and purchased a few weapons in a relatively short amount of time (which is what it appears that he did, since every story I've read that mentions it says he purchased it at a local gun store and he was only in the area for a couple months), it's extremely unlikely that he purchased a rifle like that, and that the rifle would have been an SKS and not a number of other weapons which far more commonly possess those features.

Don't get me wrong. It's possible you could just walk into a gun store and they have an SKS modified with such things, that they happened to obtain in a private sale recently, and they don't yet have a buyer lined up, and you got lucky. Kinda like walking onto a car lot and happening to see a classic car with custom cams, glass pack, CAI, blower, and custom exhaust. It's possible. But not likely. Now, if you're looking for that kind of thing, you buy any of a number of more modern weapons that come with them. You don't buy an SKS.

That he purchased an SKS rather than something newer is almost certainly because he wanted a weapon with a larger round with more stopping power than the usual crop of cool looking weapons (with things like pistol grips and folding stocks), but pretty small and weak rounds. Let's not forget that he was buying this weapon intending to go out and shoot some people, right? Again, I suppose he might randomly have run into one with those cosmetic modifications, but it's unlikely.

Unless we see a photo somewhere of the actual weapon he used, there's no way to be sure. Again though, my primary point was about the media rushing to put the one guy who was "absolutely positive" that it was an AK-47 (a weapon it almost certainly was not), on their news broadcast. And, predictably, he was absolutely wrong. Whether it's possible to buy a variant of the weapon that was used that has some of the same features found on other weapons is really not the point. It's the point that anyone who is legitimately knowledgeable enough about firearms to actually be "absolutely positive" about the weapon used, would not, under any circumstances have made that statement about that weapon.

But the journalist in question obviously wasn't going to bother to determine if the person saying that had any actual knowledge of firearms to make such a determination. He just put the person on the broadcast because he was saying something the journalist wanted the public to believe was true. Which is really really terrible journalism.


Oh. And honestly, one of the things that has been bothering me. Your use of the words "some" and "many" from a few posts back is completely backwards. "Most" SKS rifles are going to look like the classic wood stock version. "Some" will have other features more commonly connected with a military style look. Again though, the relative appearance of such things in images on the internet are not an accurate indication of their relative commonality in the real world. I keep going back to car references, but it's a pretty accurate analogy. You don't put the picture of the economy car on your website. You put the sports car on there, right? But which car do you think the dealership sells the most of, and makes most of their money on?

Gun stores work the same way.

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 9:18pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#46 Jun 21 2017 at 10:09 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,808 posts
Double your pleasure, double your fun...

Edited, Jun 21st 2017 9:13pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#47 Jun 22 2017 at 5:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
ITT: Gbaji randomly guesses at what a gun might have looked like then throws a hissy fit that some media outlet didn't make the same random guess.

I especially like the "It's unlikely he bought one like that" when all of my links were to gun dealers (whoops, two dealers, one private seller) selling exactly that. Yeah, real unicorn that pistol group is.
Have you ever even been inside a gun store? I'm honestly curious. Pictures on the internet are not an accurate representation of reality. Just saying.

ITT: Gbaji rapidly flails from "They all called it an AK47 style weapon but it looks nothing like that!!!" to "Uh, But pictures on the internet are probably REALLY of AK47s" to "Those pictures of guns for sale by gun dealers are nothing like the guns that gun dealers sell!". To answer your question though, yes.
Quote:
Unless we see a photo somewhere of the actual weapon he used, there's no way to be sure.

Hilariously, the only one flipping out, losing their shit and writing multiple ten paragraph rants about it because they're just certain what the gun looked like (Pappy's Possum Plinker!) is you.

Smiley: laugh Sorry your conservative rage-blogs steered you wrong, man.

I admit that I only skimmed your conversation with Lolgaxe but I see you're whining about "News from anywhere" being taken out of context again. It's not, and you know it but here's the thread yet again for anyone interested. You were making real factual errors about the negotiations, not differences of opinion. I asked you where you were getting your news from that you kept getting basic factual things wrong and you famously responded.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2017 8:10am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Jun 22 2017 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
******
49,477 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Hilariously, the only one flipping out, losing their shit and writing multiple ten paragraph rants about it because they're just certain what the gun looked like (Pappy's Possum Plinker!) is you.
BUT ALL THE LIBERALS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL TIME AND SPACE ARE PANICKING ABOUT IT! Can't you tell by all the posts on zam.com about it?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#49 Jun 22 2017 at 9:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,305 posts
Dear Gbaji

"I'm looking at what you are saying, finding it to be lacking in sense"

Thanks

Professor Stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#50 Jun 22 2017 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,282 posts
Jophiel wrote:
here's the thread yet again for anyone interested. You were making real factual errors about the negotiations, not differences of opinion.
That thread is fun. I like how 6 years ago we were already well accustomed to talking about people's old tricks and going on about good 'ol days and such. Smiley: lol

Edited, Jun 22nd 2017 9:36am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#51 Jun 22 2017 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,054 posts
Can I hold an AK 47 "gangster style"? Asking for a friend.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 54 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (54)