Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

what should FFXIV take from WoWFollow

#1 Jun 02 2009 at 5:16 PM Rating: Sub-Default
*
112 posts
i would say almost everything
your thoughts?
#2 Jun 02 2009 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Are you just trolling for ratedowns now?
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#3 Jun 02 2009 at 5:18 PM Rating: Excellent
**
296 posts
Quote:
i would say almost everything
your thoughts?


Oh dear, even if this is a joke thread, I don't see it ending well...
#4 Jun 02 2009 at 5:21 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
I say...if people want WoW with pretty graphics, they should step back.
____________________________

#5 Jun 02 2009 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Silent But Deadly
*****
19,999 posts
I think "nothing".

I also think WoW should prepare to bend over and take it from FFXIV.
____________________________
SUPER BANNED FOR FAILING TO POST 20K IN A TIMELY MANNER
#6 Jun 02 2009 at 5:22 PM Rating: Default
*
112 posts
was a serious question... wow is really popular. ffxiv will need to compete
#7 Jun 02 2009 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
darkrainkujata wrote:
was a serious question... wow is really popular. ffxiv will need to compete


FFXIV can be it's own game and survive. FFXI didn't collapse into utter ruin like people predicted when WoW was released.
____________________________

#8 Jun 02 2009 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
312 posts
How about no? Just because WoW does good doesn't mean every other game needs to be a WoW clone to be good. FFXI has done fine for a long while now without being all WoWishy.
#9 Jun 02 2009 at 5:27 PM Rating: Default
*
112 posts
yeah but i bet a lot of ppl who play ffxi wont wanna start over. and i dont think many new people would want to start a FF game because.. well... most hated ffxi. so ffxiv has to be competitive. and wow knows what people like
#10 Jun 02 2009 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
WoW doesn't know what the people who still play FFXI like.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#11 Jun 02 2009 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
WoW is a boring, complaicent game. The only games FFXIV needs to take from are the others in the FF series, that's why people will play it. They won't play for yet another WoW clone.
#12darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 5:40 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) if wow is so boring why do so many more ppl play it? SE wants to profit. they will prob copy WoW in some things.
#13 Jun 02 2009 at 5:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
darkrainkujata wrote:
if wow is so boring why do so many more ppl play it? SE wants to profit. they will prob copy WoW in some things.


People like to forget WoW counts EVERY thing, from deleted/deactivated/canceled accounts and characters to active and trial characters. WoW is like every other MMO before it (except FFXI) and people play WoW because you're handed everything.
____________________________

#14darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 5:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) WoW is still making the most money though. do you see WoW commercials? yes. do you see ffxi commercials? no
#15 Jun 02 2009 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
If the MMO world has learned anything these past few years, it's that you aren't gonna beat WoW at being WoW. There are a ton of WoW clones out already, a few with strong IPs have survived, with about FFXI's user base. Most fail, and rather quickly.

FFXIV will succeed the way XI does: by appealing to the MMO gamer that can't stand WoW.
#16 Jun 02 2009 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
Exactly.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 5:56 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) i disagree. i knew TONS of people who were playing both ffxi and wow and switched to wow permanently
#18 Jun 02 2009 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
WoW is still making the most money though. do you see WoW commercials? yes. do you see ffxi commercials? no


You're an idiot.

WoW is so popular because its a joke.

You solo the entire way through by yourself. The grind is mindless, quick, and easy. This is popular, because people who don't normally play MMOs because of said grind will play WoW.

WoW isn't a good MMO, its an awful one. That's why its so popular - it attracts a huge crowd of players specifically because it doesn't play like an MMO.

Take the ability to Jump and nothing else.

#19 Jun 02 2009 at 6:01 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
Quote:
Take the ability to Jump and nothing else.


There you go. We'll take Jump. Happy now?
#20darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 6:03 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) not really. i think there should be more soloable stuff.
#21 Jun 02 2009 at 6:18 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
312 posts
More soloable stuff does not equal stuff from WoW...
#22 Jun 02 2009 at 6:20 PM Rating: Default
*
112 posts
k well there should also be a horde
#23 Jun 02 2009 at 6:22 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,262 posts
We'll say it until it sinks in. WoW is the king of MMOS like Budweiser is the king of beers. If you know anything about beer, you know that Bud is ********** And yet it's still the most popular beer in America because people don't know any better.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#24darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 6:24 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) sorry im from canada. we dont drink that junk here
#25 Jun 02 2009 at 6:28 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
892 posts
WoW is McDonald's. FFXI is fine dining. That a better analogy for you?

Can someone shoot this troll dead already?
____________________________
I did not bring teh gil.
#26 Jun 02 2009 at 6:29 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,262 posts
I don't drink that junk either :P Craft brew onry!
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#27 Jun 02 2009 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
darkrainkujata wrote:
sorry im from canada.


This explains a lot.
#28 Jun 02 2009 at 6:56 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
You know, there are a lot of people here who just plain think that WoW is beneath them, and bash it every chance they get. I'd wager quite a few of you have never even played it, and certainly not played even one character to 80 nor been involved in any hard core raids. Some of you, sure, but the majority of bashers... Probably not. WoW is not the antichrist of MMOs, and they are certainly not counting their deactivated accounts in their player tally, no matter how much you wish it was so.

Now having said that, it's true that SE won't learn much about how to make another successful Final Fantasy MMO from WoW, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have good *ideas* that SE could learn from.

You know that a lot of moves from jobs like Dancer seemed like they came right off of a class in WoW. Game developers borrow ideas from each other all the time, and there is nothing wrong with that. Dancer was pretty epic win overall, but it was by no means completely original.

Take it with a grain of salt, because I know its akin to forum suicide over here to even somewhat defend WoW, but I think a lot of you are unnecessarily harsh when it comes to that topic, and you don't give it a fair shake.
#29darkrainkujata, Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:23 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) thank you torrence!!
#30 Jun 02 2009 at 7:37 PM Rating: Good
******
21,262 posts
You're right, I never took a character to level 80 in WoW. I didn't get past level 10 because I was bored to tears and nobody ever talked to my little gnome self, all the friends I have in RL who play WoW were never ever on at all, and friends of mine who do play WoW as well as FFXI have said that the level 80 raids are more or less the same stuff we go through in Dynamis. My current room mate plays WoW, and after watching me play FFXI these last few weeks, she's agreed to take a break from it and give FFXI a try because all the things she hates about WoW - lack of a cutscene based storyline, inability to change classes at will, etc - aren't problems in FFXI.

That's not to say FFXI is perfect. God no. And it's not necessarily any better than WoW. It's just different. And for those of us who do play FFXI, we are hoping that XIV is an improvement on XI and not some sort of watered down WoWization of it. If we wanted to play WoW, we'd be playing WoW.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#31 Jun 02 2009 at 9:09 PM Rating: Good
I don't think WoW is the antichrist, I play it every now and then.

But FFF isn't going to beat it by trying to be it. I actually originally came to this thread with an idea or two but 'i would say almost everything'? Not a chance.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#32 Jun 02 2009 at 9:58 PM Rating: Good
***
2,987 posts
Gatero wrote:
WoW is McDonald's. FFXI is fine dining. That a better analogy for you?

Can someone shoot this troll dead already?


Word, let me translate to him in Canadian, ok?

WoW is Molson and FFXI is Trumer.

(Soracloud would be so proud of me now. ;_;)
____________________________
=10 is about My Little Pony.
Some people say I'm the DEVIL.
Aluus wrote:
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU EVIL EVIL *******!!!!!!!!

KaneIsthara wrote:
You are the devil. Now it's gonna happen.

Kaolian wrote:
Also Tofu. We totally ban over Tofu as well.

My Brute - Valiarius
#33 Jun 03 2009 at 9:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
383 posts
The ability to jump, faster gameplay, sockets, and USEFUL quests/raids throughout the lvling process.
I didn't mind that FFXI had slow lvling, I minded not making practically any gil while lvling, resulting in me playing more than what should've been necessary.
____________________________
creapercorsair wrote:
Sorry, I don't visit sites that don't host ****.


www.exposingchristianity.com
#34 Aug 19 2009 at 4:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,778 posts
Wow... just wow...
You guys probably made that troll fatter than Michael Moore.

Final Fantasy XIV should take nothing from World of Warcraft. Why? It's called "Final Fantasy" for a reason.

Also, sorry for the necro-bump.

Edited, Aug 19th 2009 12:10pm by Tatham
____________________________
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus -- William Ernest Henley
#35 Aug 19 2009 at 5:20 AM Rating: Decent
**
572 posts
Tatham wrote:
Wow... just wow...
You guys probably made that troll fatter than Michael Moore.

Final Fantasy XIV should take nothing from World of Warcraft. Why? It's called "Final Fantasy" for a reason.

Also, sorry for the necro-bump.

Edited, Aug 19th 2009 12:10pm by Tatham


Agreed 100% + Signed 100%.

The info released today confirmes that FFXIV is very far from WoW, rather very close to FFXI I would say.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)