Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This Forum is Read Only

Jump??Follow

#1 Jun 11 2009 at 2:29 AM Rating: Decent
**
370 posts
I have been reading through a lot of forums and seeing that many people want to SE to add a jump button. I haven't played many MMOs but I don't see how that would fit into a game like this. What would be the point of it? Do you want a jump rope mini-game? Do you want to be fighting a dragon and have to jump over it's tale when he swings it at you? Do you want it to be a way to dodge attacks?
I do like how in some rpgs when you get to a certain spot your character jumps automatically but I definately don't want a jump button that people can use to jump around all over the place.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#2 Jun 11 2009 at 2:34 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
Although I know there will be an angry mob in here soon I totally agree with what you're saying.

The last game SE implented a jump like feature was X-2, and that made the game feel kinda lame, like a less than half-assed lara croft game.

Not being able to climb over a 1" gap can be annoying however, as long as they cut out the tiny little paths that look like shortcuts, there really is no need for jump.
____________________________
Meowth!
#3 Jun 11 2009 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
70 posts
I agree. Allowing jump would likely be detrimental to the atmosphere/immersion, one of the most positive things about FF games.
#4 Jun 11 2009 at 3:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
279 posts
I want to jump. Yes, I play WoW, but I played FFXI too. Being stuck on the ground feel so restricting. And the tiny gaps and slight inclines are very annoiying to have to walk around.
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#5 Jun 11 2009 at 3:10 AM Rating: Good
*
132 posts
Better walking around instead of seeing people jumping for no reason in Jeuno and just bouncing around hour after hour.
#6 Jun 11 2009 at 3:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
What does exactly bother you guys about seeing people jumping for no reason? Does it bother you that people can have fun prancing around?

In any case, in a 3D game where collision detection is so important, jumping is the easiest way to bypass obstacles that weren't meant to be. Don't you remember what is like to climb the steps in places like Ordelle's Caves, or certain spots in the Crawlers' Nest?

But if this was not reason enough, yes, i want jumping because it's silly fun, and i want animated emotes, and dancing, and voice emotes and...
____________________________
-Luminariel
#7 Jun 11 2009 at 3:35 AM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
I also don't see the point of it, but hey, if people want to jump let them jump.

#9 Jun 11 2009 at 4:09 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
There are several ways to implement the jump feature without making it a spammable offense. Give it a half to one-second charge time. You hold the space bar while you're not on the chat plane, and your character sort of bends his knees/takes a step back, then leaps forward. Don't make it a straight up/down motion. That way, when people want to jump over something or attempt to explore an obstacle, they point their character at it, and hold space for a second. You won't see that many jumper monkeys in main cities, and you're still able to jump in an immersive way.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#10 Jun 11 2009 at 4:11 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
There's nothing detrimental to jumping. It's not an amazing feature, but it adds to immersion in the sense that your a "living being" that can move in all directions...so why shouldn't you be able to jump? Given the hints to the possibility of less than real-time combat system than WoW and other MMO's, though, it's quite possible that it won't make it in.

I remember playing FFXI and running/moving over a steep decline would result in what looks like your playing "warping" to the ground without any fluidity. This is the type of animation that would come with a jumping animation/feature. A more fluid movement "feel" in the world around you. It's aesthetic, and can in some ways play into dungeons and encounters if the dev's feel it worthy (ie. jumping from one platform to another to avoid a ground AoE), but we'll have to wait and see what they have in mind.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#11 Jun 11 2009 at 4:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Usually, a jump button does nothing in combat. If we were to use World of Warcraft as an example, when you jump, as far as the game mechanics are concerned, you are standing in one place for a second, and then teleporting to the spot where the jump landed. In fact, jumping can even be a bad thing in combat, if people assume your physical position is moving while midair... jumping out of a patch of fire, instead of running out, will cause you to take damage the entire time you are midair.

So, for the most part, the jump is visual only.

However

The key usage of a jump, is to get yourself "unstuck" and generally make the enviroment less restricting.

Instead of being stopped by a ledge that's one foot high, and having to walk around... Or by a small log... Or whatever cute enviroment detail that looks nice, but you can't walk over and generally acts annoying...

With a well programmed jump mechanic, you become capable of traversing these enviromental features that were added for flavor.

jotabe wrote:
What does exactly bother you guys about seeing people jumping for no reason? Does it bother you that people can have fun prancing around?

But if this was not reason enough, yes, i want jumping because it's silly fun, and i want animated emotes, and dancing, and voice emotes and...

I agree with this. Seriously? Is everyone such a tightass in real life?

I see a set of stairs in real life? I jump down them. Is it so weird that my MMO avatar would be capable of doing the same thing?

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 8:36am by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#12 Jun 11 2009 at 5:10 AM Rating: Default
13 posts
As jump is also used as a way to traverse objects. Jumping around and "accidentally" landing mid way up a wall, to then be able to scale them and such would be a little.. Game breaking? Sure, SE will probably implement the "zone" feature again, thats almost a given as nothing has been mentioned about 100% free roaming, and the stress that would put on most connections, it's probably not a viable option anyway.

But yeah, basically.. Being able to scale buildings/walls is a big no-no for me.
____________________________
Commander MojoVIII wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong per ce, I'm just saying I'm right.


mmhmmm
˙·٠●•Enjoi
#13 Jun 11 2009 at 5:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
Zyogi wrote:
As jump is also used as a way to traverse objects. Jumping around and "accidentally" landing mid way up a wall, to then be able to scale them and such would be a little.. Game breaking? Sure, SE will probably implement the "zone" feature again, thats almost a given as nothing has been mentioned about 100% free roaming, and the stress that would put on most connections, it's probably not a viable option anyway.

But yeah, basically.. Being able to scale buildings/walls is a big no-no for me.

Scaling Walls and Buildings is fixible by the simple "Invisible Wall" that has been used in videogames for almost a decade. That should be a non-issue, unless Square is as dumb as Blizzard.

Blizzard: "Durr, well, we could dedicate 3 programmers for a day to put invisible walls around all the places you aren't supposed to be able to get to in Azeroth, but people aren't supposed to be able to get up there anyway, so if they are up there, they are being bad, and should be banned anyway, so why bother?"

I mean yeah, if you spend an hour jiggling and inching your way up a mountainside, only to fall of the backside of the mountain and plummet off the server into a glitchy black abyss... yeah, you KNEW you were doing something wrong, and a GM should ban you for a day or two as punishment, instead of simply restoring your character back to a city.

That doesn't mean that the developer shouldn't have put a simple invisible wall there.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#14 Jun 11 2009 at 5:22 AM Rating: Decent
*
237 posts
I'd hate to see a full jump option in FFXIV, I hate bunny hoppers in games. Leave bunny hopping to FPS please. And as for jumpking getting you unstuck, in my expereince i get stuck in the environment because i was jumping to get somewhere in the first place. That leads to exploitable terrain, more dev time fixing the area in question, last but not least more player frustration.

For the explorers out there, what about context sensetive areas? pull yourself up a small ledge, or hop past a hole, jump to a platform ect. But have it only activate if a certin context is met?
____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#15 Jun 11 2009 at 5:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
777 posts
SevenLittleChipmunks wrote:
For the explorers out there, what about context sensetive areas? pull yourself up a small ledge, or hop past a hole, jump to a platform ect. But have it only activate if a certin context is met?

Generally inefficant and more restrictive than not having any context commands at all.

For an example using Square games... compare Context Commands in Final Fantasy 9, vs Free Jumping in Kingdom Hearts.

Context Commands eventually become nothing more than an exercise in wiggling yourself up to the right area, or even randomly in areas, in hopes of finding a context command there, and possibly missing it entirely because you didn't get in exactly the right posistion. Sitting in front of a place where you know there is a context command, and jiggling yourself around for 30-60 seconds because you cannot seem to hit the right soft-spot to use the context command, is quite possibly significantly more annoying than having no context commands at all.

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 9:26am by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#16 Jun 11 2009 at 5:28 AM Rating: Good
**
659 posts
Let us jump in FFXIV. I don't want to have to run around a little edge in the ground when jumping over it would be faster.

If you have issues with seeing other people jumping then you probably need to see a doctor.
____________________________
Aggieland -> "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside out, you can't explain it."

Final Fantasy XIV: Neithan Turambar, Cactuar Server
Guild Wars 2: Level 80 Guardian Neithan Turambar Jade Quarry Server
WoW: Lvl 85 Shaman Friewyn Black Dragonflight Server (retired)
FFXI: Lvl 75 Dark Knight Neithan (retired many years ago)
LotRO: Lvl 30 Maethros (retired)
#17 Jun 11 2009 at 5:32 AM Rating: Decent
jotabe wrote:
What does exactly bother you guys about seeing people jumping for no reason? Does it bother you that people can have fun prancing around?


Yes, it would bother the **** out of me.
____________________________
Vawn (Rank 10 San d'Oria Bastok Windurst)
All jobs 75
Amanomurakumo

My 5-Box FFXI Setup (Pictures)
SoullessSoliders Adventures
#18 Jun 11 2009 at 5:34 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Thankyou for the Invisible wall explanation, I honestly forgot all about that, since I pretty much have FFXI as MMO of choice, it's the only one I really play. I just remember things like Perfect dark zero, where you were able to scale mountains, to end up on an entirely different map, for however long you pleased until everyone left your lobby because you're the jackass that can't be found.

On another note, I for one haven't missed not being able to Jump, even when coming from WoW way back when, it's not implemented in most FFs, and why start now? Can't miss what you never had.
____________________________
Commander MojoVIII wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong per ce, I'm just saying I'm right.


mmhmmm
˙·٠●•Enjoi
#19 Jun 11 2009 at 5:40 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Zyogi wrote:
Thankyou for the Invisible wall explanation, I honestly forgot all about that, since I pretty much have FFXI as MMO of choice, it's the only one I really play. I just remember things like Perfect dark zero, where you were able to scale mountains, to end up on an entirely different map, for however long you pleased until everyone left your lobby because you're the jackass that can't be found.

On another note, I for one haven't missed not being able to Jump, even when coming from WoW way back when, it's not implemented in most FFs, and why start now? Can't miss what you never had.

Invisible walls are very commonly previlent in well programmed single player games. Few things suck like a game that failed to program in invisible walls, which leads you to fall off the world and have to reset the game...

Invisible walls are notoriously common in games with a flying function.

This is actually one of the things that's really confusing about World of Warcraft... on the Outlands servers, they actually have invisible walls programmed in, since you could fly off the end of the world forever into outer space if there weren't invisible walls. So the game's engine is obviously capable of it. Why they don't impliment it in Azeroth, truly baffles me.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#20 Jun 11 2009 at 5:56 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Orc hunter, sitting on the balcony of Stormwind's AH, after climbling the wall. Best WoW killing spree evah. Lol.

Yeah, honestly, I was confused as to why they didn't add it aswell. But then, that was a long time ago. Maybe they have now.
____________________________
Commander MojoVIII wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong per ce, I'm just saying I'm right.


mmhmmm
˙·٠●•Enjoi
#21 Jun 11 2009 at 6:01 AM Rating: Good
3 posts
From what I've seen, so far, this probably isn't the most popular opinion to have, but I like to be able to jump around when I'm bored.

Back when I played FFXI, I played a DRG, and I can't say that at the time we were the most desired job to be because others could do even more damage. So I spent alot of time staring at the AH or sitting in my Mog House praying I wouldn't find another group wanting me to tank as DRG/WAR and doing nothing but wait because I couldn't do anything else on the PC.

Once my friends left to go play WoW, I followed them, but eventually came back to FFXI again after seeing it for $20 and my one friend wanting to try the 360 version. Things had changed, and I thought they were neat, but being unable to jump drove me nuts. What made it even worse was coming back and trying to jump in places that would be jumpable in WoW, like the bridge angle changes in Windurst.

Outside of waiting for raids to start though, I can't say I've ever seen a ton of people jumping around in one place at a time unless it was planned or slowly built up, just a few bored people here and there.
#22 Jun 11 2009 at 6:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Zyogi wrote:
Orc hunter, sitting on the balcony of Stormwind's AH, after climbling the wall. Best WoW killing spree evah. Lol.

Funnest way ever to get yourself permabanned... glitch yourself under the city and attack people through the floor. Since in World of Warcraft, none of the cities were physically part of the enviroment, they were all objects sitting in the game world, sorta like really big chairs... Yeah... Lazy programming FtW?

Bonus points if you did it at Karazhan while people were trying to get ready for a raid.

Yes it's horrible. Yet, sometimes being horrible can feel so right :(

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 10:07am by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#23 Jun 11 2009 at 6:36 AM Rating: Default
6 posts
Why on earth should the collective that are against jumping "see a doctor"?

Perhaps we've played enough games to realize the majority doesn’t want a jump function for freeing their character from an awkward clipping path or even immersion. They intend to hop around like a rabbit on speed and find unfair terrain in order to grief.

Standing still is perfectly acceptable solution to keep impatient people from hitting the only button they can 24/7 in a need to always be active.

I have always enjoyed Square Enix approach towards role-playing games. When I see they began making the best Final Fantasy they could, then made it a massive multiplayer game, I feel at ease.

I would safely predict no jumping.
#24 Jun 11 2009 at 6:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Arkyst wrote:
They intend to hop around like a rabbit on speed and find unfair terrain in order to grief.

No global PvP = No griefing = Good thing. Besides, you can grief with unfair terrain even without jumping. Using World of Warcraft as an example yet again, there are plenty of locations (bannable at that), which a person can wiggle their way into without needing to jump.

Exploitable terrain is exploitable, regardless of whether there is a jump button.

Besides, no global PvP means it's irrelivent anyway, after all, how would you grief someone otherwise?

...

In games that do have jumping, people rarely stand in one place and jump frequently, unless they are standing around bored waiting on a fight to start or something.

Gross over-generalization.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#25 Jun 11 2009 at 6:51 AM Rating: Decent
*
237 posts
I change my mind. I hope they add: /emote jump motion

bwahaha!
____________________________
FFXIV has it's first official RMT'r: Zyuu
#26 Jun 11 2009 at 7:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
SevenLittleChipmunks wrote:
I change my mind. I hope they add: /emote jump motion

bwahaha!

I could just see a little Taru hopping about happily.

Then a Galka coming by, jumping in massive earth shaking bounds... and accidently crushing the happy Taru.

D:
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#27 Jun 11 2009 at 7:03 AM Rating: Default
**
423 posts
I think adding a jump is fine, but if it isn't added i do not care.

I personally just hated getting stuck on a super tiny ledge in FFXI and knowing i "should" be able to just climb over it or hop on it... or even slide around it, instead you get stuck and with their movement system if you weren't paying attention it got very, very annoying.

Really i think jumped just solves pathing issues, but if it that can solve all the pathing issues now it shouldn't be a problem. If they cannot solve the problems jump will help conceal these problems but really i would prefer it not come to that. I doubt they will have pathing issues since most games don't anymore but who knows.

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 9:04am by boriss
#28 Jun 11 2009 at 7:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Arkyst wrote:
Why on earth should the collective that are against jumping "see a doctor"?


If you caught me at the right time, I'd say the same thing...it's a bit of hyperbole to illustrate a point.

Quote:
Perhaps we've played enough games to realize the majority doesn’t want a jump function for freeing their character from an awkward clipping path or even immersion. They intend to hop around like a rabbit on speed and find unfair terrain in order to grief.


It's already been said, but no world PvP means no need to concern oneself with griefing.

Quote:
Standing still is perfectly acceptable solution to keep impatient people from hitting the only button they can 24/7 in a need to always be active.


Or they just run in tight little circles.

Quote:
I have always enjoyed Square Enix approach towards role-playing games. When I see they began making the best Final Fantasy they could, then made it a massive multiplayer game, I feel at ease.

I would safely predict no jumping.


I can't say whether jumping will be implemented or not. I can say that it always struck me as just a wee bit ludicrous that I could have a character capable of killing all manner of horrible, powerful beasties only to be bested by a shin height terrain obstacle. "Ya, I fight gods in Sky, but damned if I can't figure out a way to get up these steps in Ordelles without having to crisscross and find the little ramps."

I think out of all the features in a game that would be of significant concern, having the ability to jump is fairly trivial. Yes, it makes sense. Yes, there would be a highly practical application for it. Yes, people would spam their jump key when they got bored. No, it's not that big of a deal.
#29 Jun 11 2009 at 7:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
361 posts
I'm glad to finally see some other people that think jumping is totally unnecessary... At least if they did something to make jumping useful and not just to satisfy people with short attention spans while they move from one place to another, I'd totally be cool with it. People that just jump-spam across areas bother me. It looks stupid. On a side note though, I would be cool with jumping if they added something like a jump fatigue that meant you could only jump once every 5 seconds or so, or like made jumping hurt your running speed, or added a stamina bar that gets drained faster while you're jumping. Then you could get over small rocks etc. on the ground and you don't have to look at people jumping around constantly like lunatics...

SevenLittleChipmunks wrote:
I change my mind. I hope they add: /emote jump motion


**On second thought, it would be hilarious if they just added a jump emote...
____________________________
>meow<
#30 Jun 11 2009 at 7:20 AM Rating: Default
**
432 posts
I don't like WoW's jumping thing. But a dodge button I think I would like more, but I'm thinking way too much of monster hunter these days.

---
kyunalesca
lakshmi
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#31 Jun 11 2009 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
If they wanted to add environmental interactivity, jumping would not be it. A map skill system similar to Romancing SaGa (PS2)? Now that would be interesting.

And if anyone is going to be doing any Jumping, that should be limited to Dragoons.

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 11:52am by TraumaFox
#32 Jun 11 2009 at 7:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
997 posts
Quote:
Does it bother you that people can have fun prancing around?


There's a word for people who do that: Hippie. It usually involves listening to trees, expanding the mind, becoming one with the universe, and a crap ton of hallucinogenic substances.
____________________________
Shhh! My common sense is tingling. ~ Deadpool

FFXI Server: Valefor Char: Lowkey


#33 Jun 11 2009 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Ootsonati wrote:
There's a word for people who do that: Hippie. It usually involves listening to trees, expanding the mind, becoming one with the universe, and a crap ton of hallucinogenic substances.

I take offense to that. I do not listen to trees; they never have anything interesting to say.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#34 Jun 11 2009 at 7:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
I think that more often than not, you won't allow jumping if you don't want to be bothered with the extra animation and invisible walls. Being able to jump (or become airborne) can open up many different possiblities like unique methods of accessing an area. The same goes for allowing the PC to swim. I expect SE to stay with a Zone and Click method so I don't expect to be able to jump, but it would be nice to have the option.

Quote:
Or they just run around you in tight little circles.

Personally, I find that more annoying than watching someone jump off in a corner.
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#35 Jun 11 2009 at 7:55 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
sixgauge wrote:
Quote:
Or they just run around you in tight little circles.

Personally, I find that more annoying than watching someone jump off in a corner.

AHAH!

Blackmail!

Give me a jump button, or I will continue to run around you in tight little circles!
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#36 Jun 11 2009 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
*
207 posts
I am a LONG time FFXI player and intend on buying FFXIV the day it comes out and hopefully catching a run on the betas..... all that being said there would be nothing wrong with the ability to jump and quite honestly id be a bit upset if we couldnt... I tried wow for a brief period and yes the bunny hoppers were annoying and most of the time they were also young in a mmo you will encounter all age groups what i tend to do is ignore idiots the same way i ignore the idiots that spamm wg with shouts like /sh "mah balz iz harey" yes this dumb crap happens.
In the brief time I did play wow only 4 things really stood out to me and they were.

1.How much I HATED WoWs combat system and the constant clicking of icons that took up most of the screen to spamm abilities. just felt like a complete mess.

2.How much I LOVED the openness of the world and not zoning every 3 minutes and knowing if i could see an area i could probably get there.

3.How much jumping really Helped me get over annoying obstacles.

4.How much I enjoyed being able to submerge myself in water and being able to swim..

____________________________
SCH75 RDM75 BLU75 DRK75 PLD75 BLM70



#37 Jun 11 2009 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
**
852 posts
I don't think a jump button is necessary, but I would like the ability to automatically clamber up a low ledge or step over a rock in my path. It's always annoyed me a little in FFXI that there are many places with little tiny steps that look like you should be able to climb up, but can't. It just means the zone developers will have to create higher ledges to keep players out of places like Dragon's Aery or Gemini Falls.
General rule of thumb: anything up to shoulder-height should be climbable. Taru may need a boost. ^.^

For those who want a /jump emote... I can't speak for other races, but Taru already has one: /joy motion
____________________________
[ffxisig]49934[/ffxisig]

SMN 90 | BLM 90 | WHM 83
twitter.com/nupinu
It rubs the fewell on its skin or else it gets the thwack again.

Thydonon wrote:
SMN is just epic in it's scope. You gain fame in all cities to have their avatars. When others finish ToAU, they get toys; you get gods.
#38 Jun 11 2009 at 8:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Quote:
I'd hate to see a full jump option in FFXIV, I hate bunny hoppers in games. Leave bunny hopping to FPS please
Getting rid of bunny hopping in FPS would be fine with me too. Whens the last time you saw a soldier hoping to make himself harder to hit/move faster? Carrying soo much equipment you'd just collapse of exhaustion.
Quote:
In any case, in a 3D game where collision detection is so important, jumping is the easiest way to bypass obstacles that weren't meant to be. Don't you remember what is like to climb the steps in places like Ordelle's Caves, or certain spots in the Crawlers' Nest?
The better "answer" to this problem is just to do better terrain modeling so players don't get stuck on 2ft ledges in the first place.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#39 Jun 11 2009 at 8:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
shintasama wrote:
The better "answer" to this problem is just to do better terrain modeling so players don't get stuck on 2ft ledges in the first place.

Won't happen though. The reason they block it to begin with is due to animation issues. Do you honestly expect an MMO creater to program all terrain animations for the characters?

Well, they totally could... just considering the current MMO marketplace, they won't.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#40 Jun 11 2009 at 8:27 AM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
If you guys like having to go around obstacles that only come up to your ankles by all means we wont stop you but the rest of us will jump over it since I doubt SE will leave out that function.
#41 Jun 11 2009 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
**
432 posts
they could do it as with uncharted where if your char is in the middle of a ledge he has one foot up top and one down.

Moving FF to the consoles could mean that they upgrade things like waking animations. Uncharted is a perfect example of not having to jump sometimes to get through terrain ( uncharted does feature jump )

---
kyunalesca
lakshmi
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#42 Jun 11 2009 at 10:50 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
I don't know anyone in this entire world who randomly jumps around, about 4 foot from the ground and occasionally does a roll too.

One thing that seperates FFXI from WoW is the fact it isn't childish. It is a uniform and classy game.
Seeing people jump around for no reason ruins this atmosphere and makes it seem like its full of hyper active trigger happy kids.

If you want a REAL reason though, for a feature that will be mostly obsolete, it is a complete waste of time and resources, doing extra QA checks making sure people don't get stuck etc.
____________________________
Meowth!
#43 Jun 11 2009 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
204 posts
personally I don't like the jump option just because it looks silly to see someone spamming it, for all the immersion it would provide, seeing someone hopping for hours on end would kill all that immersion, personally I prefer FF games for their lack of anything routinely silly (a few comical scenes aside), that was one of my favorite aspects of FFVII and VIII

however, as someone mentioned above, I would love to see swimming added... It does kill the ambiance when your character is blocked off by a knee deep pool of water, and anything deeper than a small creek requires a bridge, I think swimming would be less exploitable.... or rather more easily controllable... and give more immersion to the game than jumping can

____________________________
-----------------

Quote:
4. For treasure hunter to work, a THF must hit the mob, dance on one leg, sing the hokey pokey, sacrifice a moogle, unequip all their armor, and be left handed.
#44 Jun 11 2009 at 10:57 AM Rating: Decent
IMO, FFXI is a serious MMO. Less cartoonish, and more purpose orientated. Jumping seems too cartoonish to me. I have played other MMo's where you can jump, and it gets pretty lame. You'll see countless noobs jump attacking mobs, and you will just want to shoot yourself after a while.
#45 Jun 11 2009 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
230 posts
I agree. FFXI always maintained that level of immersion by preventing people from doing inane, dumb things. I also agree with the above poster(s); swimming, at least to some basic extent, needs to be added. Underwater environments add a whole new level of beauty to the world. Having to find a bridge to cross anything even knee deep is pretty stupid. There's plenty of reasons to add water-based features to the game.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#46 Jun 11 2009 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Kharmageddon wrote:
I agree. FFXI always maintained that level of immersion by preventing people from doing inane, dumb things. I also agree with the above poster(s); swimming, at least to some basic extent, needs to be added. Underwater environments add a whole new level of beauty to the world. Having to find a bridge to cross anything even knee deep is pretty stupid. There's plenty of reasons to add water-based features to the game.

We could say the same thing of having to walk way around a small one foot wide gap in the ground, or too large of stairs, or a log, or a foot tall cliff.

I think the thing we can all agree on, is the game needs to have some way to traverse small enviromental features, in a way that feels as natural as walking.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#47 Jun 11 2009 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
279 posts
'bunny hopping' is not THAT big of a problem! You make it sound liek everyone goes around doing it all the time. Either way it's still preferable to getting stuck on all the ledges, logs, etc. Also lets them add more of those things without worrying about everyone getting stuck or having go around every little thing.
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#48 Jun 11 2009 at 11:14 AM Rating: Decent
*
230 posts
I'm going to stick to what I said before and say that they should add a "jump forward" feature. You hit the jump key and your character stops moving, charges up (either takes a step back, bends at the knees -- whatever they decide that race/character model should do), and jumps up and forward. This lets you clear small obstacles without making it a spammable offense.

And yes, bunny hopping (at least in WoW) *IS* that big of a problem, immersion-wise.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#49 Jun 11 2009 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
***
2,890 posts
Its logic like this that has people jumping around in realistic first person shooters with super detailed and realistic environments..

Rather than just making it so I can climb up a ledge or simple vault up anything I need to get over I am graced with leaping and taking flight into the air at will then quickly proning so I turn into a human flying super hard to hit extra accurate dart.

The argument?
"Real people can jump too so its more realistic.." >.>

Its because Quake and duke nukem had it. Mario had it too. In fact if MARIO DIDN'T HAVE IT WE MIGHT NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION. And now the trend continues.. all MMOGs to come after WoW have the jump option to contend with..

Shall we also add bashing brick blocks with our heads to get coins into the final fantasy universe? How will we explain to all the dire hardcore dragoons that their most praised ability is being given to everyone because BLIZZARD SAID SO!!

lol

However we should all discuss the most prevalent feature that jumping provides. Jump puzzles where if you fall you DIE!!! YES!!!! YESS!!! OUT OF THE PRIMORDIAL SOUP OF GAME DESIGN COMES THIS **** AGAIN!!!!

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 4:50pm by thorazinekizzez
#50 Jun 11 2009 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
I'm actually more than a little surprised at the hostility toward jumping. Back when I played FFXI (way back) I always thought most people either wanted jumping or were agnostic about the idea.

To me it's very simple: Jumping is a natural movement ability shared by nearly every land based animal or insect on the planet. It doesn't break immersion, it adds to the 3D feeling of the world. Same opinion on swimming.

As far as exploits go, someone above mentioned that people exploit terrain regardless of whether jumping is allowed or not. I don't worry too much about terrain exploits in a non-pvp game.

Is bunny-hopping that annoying? I actually think a galka whm bouncing around would be slightly off, but a taru drk bouncing around would be incredibly cute. Annoyance is in the mind of the annoyed...or something like that.

My vote is that FFXIV should include a basic jumping ability similiar to WoW, but perhaps with a less over the top, cartoony animation. I'd even accept some silly stuff like a flipping jump if it was restricted to mithras, or a ridiculously high jump if it was restricted to dragoons. Games should be fun, crazy concept I know.



#51 Jun 11 2009 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
So many people arguing for less... I never will understand why people do this.

Only thing I can think of is people are afraid of any change from FFXI and and trying to whine out a better graphics version of the same game. No thanks on that.

Jump, as mentioned, adds a 3D element to the game, creates a lot less linear world to traverse, generally can make travel less boring, adds creativeness to the environment with having to approach areas in a manner that consist of more then just holding W, and makes things alot more natural and less aggrivating when you have to walk around a 3 inch root or rock.

Only challenge I've seen is you don't want to see people bunny hopping to much.
____________________________
Current:
LVL 38 Dragon Realms Warrior Mage - "Brookie Dragonlin"
LVL 31 Mithra Warrior - "Onegai" - Titan Server



Previous -
LVL 65 EQ SZ Server Necro - "Brookie Dragonlin"
LVL 45 EQ TZ Server Druid- Sazuka Twilight'Assasin
Lvl 52 Vah Shir Bard - Aiysha Clan'Clan
LVL 60 Final Fantasy - Garuda Server - Samurai Mithra "Brookie"

‚{ŖĂ݂
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)