Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Jump??Follow

#152 Jun 12 2009 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Yep, and I'm only assuming that XIV isn't suddenly lower in quality than XI.

God help us all if it is.

STOP JINXING IT!
#153 Jun 12 2009 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
***
1,446 posts
I don't really care one way or another.
____________________________
Kyansaroo - Kujata
Windurst Rank 10
Tarutaru
BLM 75 / WHM 75 / BST 75 / RDM 75 / BRD 75
Next to 75: COR 47 / SCH 58
RotZ: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: In-Progress
WoTG: In-Progress
#154 Jun 12 2009 at 11:55 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Hyanmen wrote:

Quote:
So you're going to put an 'action point' on every single thing that could be an obstacle?

There's not that many of those in general, honestly.


I don't know... Seems to me the entire La Theine Plateau would end up being an action point

:p
#155 Jun 12 2009 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
279 posts
I know. I only got to 45 but I can think of lots of places jumping would help with mobility.
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#156 Jun 12 2009 at 12:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
I love that there's a 4 page argument about something as basic as jumping. Makes me wonder how we're all supposed to get along when the game goes live. I guess I shouldn't be surprised forums are always filled with arguing before a game comes out. I just hope the actual games community isnt as fractured and divided as we are.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#157 Jun 12 2009 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
mezlabor wrote:
I love that there's a 4 page argument about something as basic as jumping. Makes me wonder how we're all supposed to get along when the game goes live. I guess I shouldn't be surprised forums are always filled with arguing before a game comes out. I just hope the actual games community isnt as fractured and divided as we are.


Once people have to start paying to experience the content they're whining about, they tend to disappear. I expect the community in FFXIV to start to shape up fairly early with the disgruntled fanbois of previous MMOs returning to their respective games and leaving the new stuff to the people who enjoy it. I don't think the negativity and absurd bickering that we see here will carry forward into FFXIV.
#158 Jun 12 2009 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
mezlabor wrote:
I love that there's a 4 page argument about something as basic as jumping. Makes me wonder how we're all supposed to get along when the game goes live. I guess I shouldn't be surprised forums are always filled with arguing before a game comes out. I just hope the actual games community isnt as fractured and divided as we are.

People are bored since we still have quite a long time before FFXIV comes out. It's normal to have huge fights over entirely speculative matters. It's also very easy since they're no official games or post to say anyone is flat out wrong about anything.
#159 Jun 12 2009 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
349 posts
I remember this from various other mmos I followed. But those didnt have the shadows of other games hanging over their heads (well STO sorta does)

And yea bickering is normal on an mmo forum but over something as basic as jumping? I mean sure bicker over pvp rules, over end game, over classes, skills but seriously... Jumping?

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 4:24pm by mezlabor
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#160 Jun 12 2009 at 12:31 PM Rating: Default
***
2,890 posts
AureliusSir wrote:
The issue at hand is whether or not the option to jump in FFXIV could improve aspects of the game, and the reasonable answer is that yes, it could.


This is an opinion based solely on the assumption that the game will be based around this concept. Adding something just for the sake of adding it is worthless to me. Adding it because it was a core design concept powering the game would be worth the trouble. And no adding jumping is not a small thing its a rather huge change to the game.

Also too on the topic of the "action points" some are a bit confused. The environment in its default state provides a programmatic solution. Treating the world as a sandbox of sorts and designers would only best be expected to specify locations where it can not be used rather than the other way around.

Assassins creed is an example of a game based perfectly around its movement mechanics. And frankly id take that over hitting space bar over and over again in a heart beat..

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 4:37pm by thorazinekizzez
#161 Jun 12 2009 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
thorazinekizzez wrote:
This is an opinion based solely on the assumption that the game will be based around this concept.

"Based around?" It doesn't need to be called Jumping Fantasy XIV. IF they decided to simply include jumping, players would benefit. That is the only assertion, which is based on evidence from preceding posts.
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Adding something just for the sake of adding it is worthless to me.

It is not "just for the sake of adding it." Jumping has several very specific purposes we've already told you about: reducing travel time, increased immersion, and simple fun. If you not going to pay attention then please don't respond.
thorazinekizzez wrote:
And no adding jumping is not a small thing its a rather huge change to the game.

It IS a small addition. Jumping could very easily be removed from WoW, Lotro, or WAR. It's not the foundation of the game. It's an auxiliary improvement.

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 3:45pm by Allegory
#162 Jun 12 2009 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
The only point Id disagree with you allegory is that I wouldnt call it an auxillary improvement as much as a standard feature nowadays.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#163 Jun 12 2009 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
mezlabor wrote:
The only point Id disagree with you allegory is that I wouldnt call it an auxillary improvement as much as a standard feature nowadays.

By auxiliary improvement I mean that it isn't necessary for the core game to function. Without jumping WoW, WAR, and Lotro would still be quite playable.
#164 Jun 12 2009 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
Ahh yes I stand corrected
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#165 Jun 12 2009 at 12:59 PM Rating: Default
***
2,890 posts
Allegory wrote:
thorazinekizzez wrote:
This is an opinion based solely on the assumption that the game will be based around this concept.

"Based around?" It doesn't need to be called Jumping Fantasy XIV. IF they decided to simply include jumping, players would benefit. That is the only assertion, which is based on evidence from preceding posts.
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Adding something just for the sake of adding it is worthless to me.

It is not "just for the sake of adding it." Jumping has several very specific purposes we've already told you about: reducing travel time, increased immersion, and simple fun. If you not going to pay attention then please don't respond.
thorazinekizzez wrote:
And no adding jumping is not a small thing its a rather huge change to the game.

It IS a small addition. Jumping could very easily be removed from WoW, Lotro, or WAR. It's not the foundation of the game. It's an auxiliary improvement.


Adding jumping can @#%^ an entire dev crew lol.. **** just changing the jump height is a pain in the ***... Whether or not you have jumping in the game is a huge deal on how sh*t gets built.

its not some free thing like you are thinking LOL... You do have to base the games design around it. And the world needs to be built with it in mind.

And I suppose that Gears of War 2 didn't do very well because it was lacking such an integral "auxiliary improvement".... Oh wait the guys who worked on that game did something cooler... Bonus points to anyone who thinks Assassins creed movement would be more worthwhile.

I just want a tight game balanced and refined without crap features that the game wasn't built around in the first place. Adding something only because everyone is doing it is such a stupid reason to do it man... So stupid.../sigh

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 5:00pm by thorazinekizzez
#166 Jun 12 2009 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
They need a z axis to add in jumping. Something I pray they put in anyways for flying chocobos and to see airships flying over your head during the game. Levels dont need to be designed around jumping tho. No zone in any of the aforementioned games REQUIRES you to jump to access them (tho I wouldnt mind it if they did that)
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#167 Jun 12 2009 at 1:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I don't think they really -need- jumping so long as they add action buttons or make the terrain more scalable; however, I don't have the great fear of jumping that many WOW'ers do.

The problem I think in WOW is that jumping is actually a reasonable means of transportation. It doesn't hurt you much to jump all over the place. In real life, jumping takes a lot more stamina to go X distance than just walking or running. They would only need to implement a system like that where you can't continually jump (at least without wearing yourself down), and where jumping doesn't cover as much distance per time than simply jogging.

And it looks like bouncing in WOW because that's the way the character's jump-- not very realistically. I would expect that with the sense of realism that FF uses compared to the toony style of WOW, that this would never be an issue in the first place.

____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#168 Jun 12 2009 at 1:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
49 posts
This is another bit of proof that people can find negativity in anything. Why complain about an extra feature, a small one at that, that is largely cosmetic and acutely functional. I'm annoyed when ppl spam /poke me but you don't see me QQing for the removal of /poke. If you don't want to jump...then don't. If you're one of those people who can't stand to see bunny-hoppers...cry. I wanna jump...AND swim!...In platemail!

You may explode into fury...now.

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 5:24pm by waveren
#169 Jun 12 2009 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
People argue this point because "simple as jumping" can have a great impact on the game over all even if it may seem like it wouldn't. basically the difference between a WoW without jumping, and WoW with it. This is the argument going on

I find these statements against jumping quite hilarious.

Let me also state that I like Final Fantasy a whole lot more then I like WoW before I get any farther and someone calls me a fan boy just defending a game.

my first point is against the people claiming small ledges, fences, and rocky outcroppings to be "collision problems" These were added into the game for immersion and for the simple fact that it makes the game look better and more complete. Arguing that these should just be smoothed out is ridiculous.
"guys, find another fence I can' jump over, so I'm gonna have to go 100 ft around it."
"Nah, it's just a collision problem, just take away the fence's collision and walk through it."
This is the worst arguing I have heard yet.

A guy also stated "Jumping is a band-aid solution to fixing these "collision problems"
I laugh at this so much. It is THE BEST solution. why make the stairs incredibly easy to traverse at the sacrifice of them looking really really good, when you can have both? Just because the answer is simple, does not mean it is a "Band-Aid" answer.

The argument of Jumping being to annoying to look at...... You have got to be kidding me.
I find it annoying to look at a 50 year old guy with his shirt off, and he has tons of chest and back hair that he looks like a gorilla.
It is called "looking away" fascinating I know. If you can't keep your eyes off it, then maybe you secretly do like it a lot, that or you have severe ADD..... OOO sumthin shiny!

We get to the point of it taking away from the game. How exactly does it take away from the game exactly? I would like a very solid answer that I can't tear apart.
"too cartoony"--- O plz, taru, and moogles, and rabbits being a threat at lvl 1
"Jump spammers"--- In ffxi you have emote spammers, you got over that
"It isn't realistic"---stfu u r playing a fantasy game with elves and galka
"bunny hopping"--- actually hopping is one of the best ways to travel apparently

---Direct your attention to exhibit A--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAC1qLiJSA8
lulz, that guy is rediculous

On to the fact of people wanting context sensitive options everywhere.
Look at the numbers, 432447417238941290348756901372891475187432894784725691 places to put this option, or adding the 1 option of "jump"?

Not having jump in a game, takes more away then having jump in that game. A guy brought up gears of war and the fact that it doesn't have jump. First off, it can get away with this because it isn't a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game
You can get away with context sensitive areas because You only have to cover them in a linear path, and in an MMO you go w/e you want to, u aren't restricted to one story arc leading you in a line.
Second of all, I would have loved jump in Gears of War "Jumping onto a guy and chainsawing his face off." I agree, totally bad *** awesome sauce.
Third, would jumping ruin Gears of War? I highly doubt it, they just didn't add it because They made a linear game and when people jump they start to stray off the chain. U can also look at this example of what they did have.

---direct your attention to exhibit B--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzVf6OpMXQ
Jump- to spring clear of the ground or other support by a sudden muscular effort

I don't know what else more I can say.

#170 Jun 12 2009 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
279 posts
iARRpirate, I agree with every single word you wrote!
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#171 Jun 12 2009 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Yeah, I really don't see why not to add jumping in the game. If it's just that unnecessary, fine, but for it to be unnecessary suggests that maybe the game terrains are a bit too plain.

It sounds to most people like a matter of aesthetics, but Square has never spared any effort on aesthetics. If SE does jumping, they'll do it relatively well.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#172 Jun 12 2009 at 1:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
Besides how can you have a dragoon without jump? And before you tear my head off yes I know its command in ffxi.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#173 Jun 12 2009 at 4:39 PM Rating: Default
***
2,890 posts
Nope Jumping isn't cosmetic. Its not ancillary to navigation.
And some of you don't even know how a programmatic solution works as far as an action key.
Fixing collision errors by adding jumping is in fact covering up an open wound. ( A band aid )

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 9:00pm by thorazinekizzez
#174 Jun 12 2009 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
96 posts
Quote:
Besides how can you have a dragoon without jump? And before you tear my head off yes I know its command in ffxi.


...ok, Dragoons can Jump...but NOBODY else! >.> j/k

Actually as long as the jumping graphically looks good, I dont mind if it is FFXIV. The problem with jumping in WOW is that it just looks ridiculous and annoying. However, there could be some cool gameplay elements if it were implemented with that in mind.
____________________________
Gae Assail - Obtained 1/28/08
4855/7000 - Stellar Fragment - X
DRG 75/RDM 75/DRK 75
#175 Jun 12 2009 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Let's see what happens when WoW2 is announced and a "What could WoW learn from FFXI?" thread pops.

Blizzard has said they don't ever want to make a WoW2. But if there was, and in an official press release from Blizzard they said "We have learned things from our own MMO, and other MMOs such as FFXI" then yes, I would expect a similar thread to pop up.

Square has already said that they learned things from other MMOs, such as WoW, and were planning to use what they learned for the benefit of the game. It is hardly a bad thing to speculate on what Square was thinking of when they said that.

...

Something I find interesting, is I was reading in a recent interview from Square, was a statement saying that they were talking with several foreign developers, including Activision-Blizzard, and were contemplating working with them. They also mentioned the idea of working together in development, instead of in opposition.

What I take away from that, is that Square is actually considering a merger or partnership with Activision-Blizzard. Which is quite mind boggling really.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#176 Jun 12 2009 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Raymund wrote:
So you're going to put an 'action point' on every single thing that could be an obstacle?

This is a good point.

To all the people who say an action button is a good idea, and that adding a jump button would be a waste of development time...

Realize it would take significantly more development time to identify every potentially annoying obstacle or ledge, and add an action point to them. And even more time to make the action point function in a way which doesn't feel stilted and break immersion.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#177 Jun 12 2009 at 6:30 PM Rating: Default
*
207 posts
Quote:
I really dont get the hostility towards jumping. I must say. This attitude "If its in wow it cant be in ffxiv" Is retarded. I'm gonna come out and say it. You FFXI players hate WoW players so much? You're being more obstinate, stubborn and difficult then any WoW player I've ever met. I mean common not wanting the ability to jump because its in wow (and yes behind all your fancy arguements it boils down to you not wanting it because its in wow) thats just infantile. Grow the @#%^ up already.



Just have to say this is complete hogwash I want swimming and thats in WoW. There is never anything wrong with a feature because its in another game and also most Ffxi People myself included have stated that jumping and swimming would be very welcome additions with some modifications.... just because its in wow does not mean it sucks.... WoW is not even a bad game its just not my cup of tea.
____________________________
SCH75 RDM75 BLU75 DRK75 PLD75 BLM70



#178 Jun 12 2009 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
I'd like to see it done the same way it is in Zelda. You run over to X thing & auto-jump/climb it.
#179 Jun 12 2009 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Karelyn wrote:
Blizzard has said they don't ever want to make a WoW2. But if there was, and in an official press release from Blizzard they said "We have learned things from our own MMO, and other MMOs such as FFXI" then yes, I would expect a similar thread to pop up.


Yes, we will just wait and see.

Again not to be inflammatory, but FFXI players do tend to overestimate their game's popularity. I'd expect a thread to pop up comparing WoW to Star Wars before one comparing it to FFXI.

In fact, just tonight I was commenting in my guild that WoW is about to have some serious competition shortly (meaning XIV) and EVERYONE thought I meant the new Star Wars. It took a few minutes to explain that I was talking about XIV and that XI has been around for 7 years.
#180 Jun 12 2009 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
349 posts
I think wow will have more competition from Aion in the east (and possibly among western pvpers) and Star wars in the west then xiv but I could be wrong. xiv will mostly draw pve fans but I dont profess to know what percentage of the population in wow are pve fans.

Best bet is to stop thinking about a wow killer because every game people have hyped up as the wow killer fell flat on its face (vanguard, aoc) or was met with a moderate level of success (war, lotro)

SE is doing the right thing by doing their thing catering to what they perceive their fan base to be(including the more casual ff gamers like myself) and trying to avoid direct comparisons to WoW

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 10:42pm by mezlabor

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 10:43pm by mezlabor
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#181thorazinekizzez, Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 6:43 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Minimum of 1 year work at least in X mod community with either a shipped product or a successful project is needed to continue talking about the action point functionality.
#182 Jun 12 2009 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
230 posts
You'd be surprised at the reception of The Old Republic. A lot of people wanted KOTOR III, and hate seeing the RPG being turned into an MMO. The graphics so far look good (but nothing like FFXIV). One of the real issues holding XIV back will be the fact that it'll take a good computer to run.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#183 Jun 12 2009 at 6:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
Nah. I doubt it most average computers today can demolish ps3 games that are cross platform. The machine I am running on isnt top of the line but it can easily handle Assasins Creed or UT3 at full settings 60+fps without a problem. FFXIV will still be made to spec for a ps3 if you can pick up machiens now at reasonable prices that can play cross platform ps3 games it wont be any different when ffixv releases.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#184 Jun 12 2009 at 6:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
107 posts
Folks. It's just jumping. I would like to think that we are all mature individuals that wouldn't let something like rising a few feet above the ground alter our decision as to whether or not this game might be considered "outdated" as some have said, or "clunky", or whatever. Personally, I don't care if jumping is implemented in this game. There are more important things to think and talk about, IMHO, and I think some of us are taking this a little too far.
____________________________
We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland
#185 Jun 12 2009 at 6:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Minimum of 1 year work at least in X mod community with either a shipped product or a successful project is needed to continue talking about the action point functionality.

Your melting kittens people..

I work in the video game industry. I may not be a programmer or developer, but even as a systems administrator, I become plenty aware of what is going on around me.

Attacking a person in real life works good doesn't it?

Edited, Jun 12th 2009 10:55pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#186 Jun 12 2009 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
49 posts
You have enlightened me oh grand maestros of non-jump. Remove all jumping from video games! Alex Mercer must walk at a moderate pace, EVERYWHERE! All that jumping HAD to be due to bad collision! Why else would Radical implement a jump button!

J/k

SE's Devs, I'm sure, are more than capable of implementing a jump feature that works just fine. Jump buttons have been around quite awhile in a 3d plane and these guys aren't rookies.

If you don't like the way it looks... I don't like the way subligars look. I got over it.

If you say it will cause problems... Probably, MMO's are prone to problems because they are MASSIVE. Bad programing is bad programing, and there's bound to be some in something this large, but problems can happen running too. Bugs will be bugs.

If you say it's lazy programming for collision errors... Please, plenty of games with very good collision have "jump". This is not exactly breaking new ground.

If you say it's unrealistic... I agree but so is sprinting 80 miles in desert in platemail.

If you say it annoys you...Might I suggest you stop playing MMO's. If something as small as this aggitates you, you have a long hard road ahead of you.

If you say it's a big deal and key to the environment... You are CORRECT. The jump decision has already been made. Dev's structure entire worlds around what is and is not accessible. If it's not in the build RIGHT NOW it never will be.

All the bickering in the world won't change if it's in or out. Let us DREAM!

Stop being jump-****'s!


Edited, Jun 13th 2009 9:04am by waveren

Edited, Jun 13th 2009 9:05am by waveren
#187 Jun 12 2009 at 7:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
Quote:
Nah. I doubt it most average computers today can demolish ps3 games that are cross platform. The machine I am running on isnt top of the line but it can easily handle Assasins Creed or UT3 at full settings 60+fps without a problem. FFXIV will still be made to spec for a ps3 if you can pick up machiens now at reasonable prices that can play cross platform ps3 games it wont be any different when ffixv releases.


Oni runs flawlessly on an integrated Radeon 7200, Metal Gear Solid 2 doesn't. Even console games make noticeable improvements over time. Running it will probably be easy enough on today's mid-high level PC's, but maxing without issues is another story.

I'm personally hoping for enough AA, resolution, draw distance, etc options to force my current 512MB card to run low settings.
#188thorazinekizzez, Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 9:22 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Look I personally don't care as long as its added for a real reason. I don't give a **** what other games are doing it. I just want a tight game with a tight experience.
#189 Jun 13 2009 at 12:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
If it looks good, and doesn't cause glitchy looking movements I'm happy with jumping. But, I have a hard time seeing it look good. WoW's jumping looks bad. As far as action buttons are concerned I'd be happy with one of those if it worked along the lines of Call of Duty 4's action button. Jumping vs. a very clean hoisting yourself up animation; I'd choose the clean animation every time.

Also, if jumping is implemented, make it slower than running. It just looks lame having everyone jumping everywhere simply because it doesn't restrict your movement. Why not jump when it's just as fast? It looks, for the lack of a better word, childish. You don't see guys running around in platemail jumping 4feet into the air as they run across the entire world. (Granted I've never seen anyone wearing platemail irl) It takes away from the epicness when you have people bunny hopping everywhere, but as I said with those restrictions mentioned before I'd be more than happy to be able to jump.
____________________________




#190 Jun 14 2009 at 8:11 PM Rating: Default
1 post
no jumping please
I'm sure it make the programers go nuts as well making sure people can't get stuck in objects, go places they should'nt. that sort of stuff. Most of the time the only reason for jumping is in a PvP setting since FFXIV is going to be PvE focused I see no need for a jump button.
just my 2 cents
#191 Jun 14 2009 at 8:29 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
279 posts
So we don't get stuck on logs, or 1 foot tall fences or cliffs.
____________________________
WoW - Quel'dorei <ON HOLD>

Main: Tancoo (80 Tauren Enhance Shaman)
Other: Saraah (63 BE Paladin)
Raymund (47 Troll Hunter)

FFXI - Carbuncle <RETIRED>
Raymund - 45 DRG, 42 PLD, 26 BLU, 30 RNG, 1 NIN <- I miss you Buster!
#192 Jun 15 2009 at 12:45 AM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
Give us a nice looking, decently thought out jump, that doesn't let us go anywhere we wouldn't be able to normally through walking. Smiley: lol Let there be small action commands for certain things that'd we'd need to click the jump button next to to automatically jump over, and finally give drg-type peoples a slightly better jump and have one to ten areas that have an action command jump option that only works for those drg-type players.

Yeah. :p

Quote:
They need a z axis to add in jumping. Something I pray they put in anyways for flying chocobos and to see airships flying over your head during the game. Levels dont need to be designed around jumping tho. No zone in any of the aforementioned games REQUIRES you to jump to access them (tho I wouldnt mind it if they did that)


Any game that has a 3D environment already has a Z axis. FFXI had a Z axis.

Edited, Jun 15th 2009 4:47am by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#193 Jun 15 2009 at 1:05 AM Rating: Default
*
132 posts
Give Drg more jump action like 5 or 6 but they have different effects. Still sorta in line with original thread title ^^

Edit: Elemental jumps, now that would be amazing.

Edited, Jun 15th 2009 9:33am by Feyted
#194 Jun 15 2009 at 3:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
181 posts
I hope they add a jump button, jumping is cool, I played WoW for a month and one of my favourite things from that game was the jumping function, it was not ground breaking, but was helpful to get around the world faster.

The only real problem that I see is if they have closed arenas like the ship on the trailer, would you be able to jump off the ship...? I guess they would have to add invisible blocking walls so people don't go overboard.

FFXIV needs freedom of movement.
____________________________
XIV
Bosco Firebrander, Gladiator of Thanalan.

XI
(Retired) 2004-2008 ( He lies in Uleguerand Range, under the cold white snow ).
#195 Jun 15 2009 at 4:25 AM Rating: Default
*
151 posts
I agree the first thing I did in wow was jump just to feel the freedom of movement. I know it seems so small but it will have a major impact on game play and make the game more enjoyable not less. Jumping is standard now a days like 3d graphics it's to be expected and imagine if they used 2d graphics, I'm sure they would be able to get much more done but it would bring down the quality of the game.
Though it would be kind of funny if they did go 2d lol.
#196 Jun 15 2009 at 6:32 AM Rating: Decent
*
242 posts
Quote:
Something I pray they put in anyways for flying chocobos and to see airships flying over your head during the game.


Flying, Black Chocobos. Yes, please!

As for my two cents, jumping could be useful. There were a number of times that I wished I could have been able to jump in FFXI. There are a number of other games that could've used jump but didn't have it i.e. Mass Effect (XBOX 360) and Evil Dead (PS2).

Who wouldn't want jumping Tarus everywhere? You people who wouldn't, lack a sense of humor lol.
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#197thorazinekizzez, Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 6:53 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Well if this thing about FFXI being skilled based rather than level based is true then for the cost of some other possibly vital abilities you will have the option for keeping your acrobatics skill just high enough to allow for jumping.
#198 Jun 15 2009 at 7:18 AM Rating: Default
*
70 posts
I keep seeing this argument that being able to jump means more immersion. That's only true when people jump when and where it's meant to be done. I can guarantee that for every 10 players there will be 2-3 abusing it and bunny hopping all over the place. And it doesn't take more than a few in view to kill the immersion. Yes I'm speaking from my WoW experience, but I am also speaking from my FFXI experience that you don't need jumping. Coming from another game with jumping it may feel restricted at first but you will get used to it in no time.

The only way I'd agree with having jump is if it comes with a 5+ second cooldown.
#199 Jun 15 2009 at 7:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
316 posts
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Well if this thing about FFXI being skilled based rather than level based is true then for the cost of some other possibly vital abilities you will have the option for keeping your acrobatics skill just high enough to allow for jumping.


Or they could follow the Elder Scrolls model, where jumping all the time raises your acrobatics skill faster.
#200 Jun 15 2009 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
SEforPrez wrote:
thorazinekizzez wrote:
Well if this thing about FFXI being skilled based rather than level based is true then for the cost of some other possibly vital abilities you will have the option for keeping your acrobatics skill just high enough to allow for jumping.


Or they could follow the Elder Scrolls model, where jumping all the time raises your acrobatics skill faster.


That model would be interesting to see in an MMO. Problem with that system was that you have to limit how many skill points total the player can get for a MMOG where as nobody cared if you maxed out everything in oblivion or morrowind. which leaves us at my original point. Unless the system allows people to max everything out you still have to decide how many points you can actually use at once.

However on that note jumping could be a default thing everyone has but its pretty much worthless unless you build your "acrobatic skill"... hmm

The job system throws this into even crazier potential that not all jobs will have the same skills..
#201 Jun 15 2009 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Don't need to add a full blown JUMP button...But i mean if there is a ledge and its not to far down. I think it'd be great for like an option to hop down to appear...and an option to climb up.. because it is EXTREMELY annoying.. in XI... when u like accidentally fall off that TINY lil ledge in Fanfir/Nidhoggs lair.. and u cant climb back up.. just dumb..
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)