Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV looms, FFXI dwindles.. Anyone else disheartened?Follow

#1 Jun 11 2009 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Okay, so I know FFXIV is still like, a year away.. But, being one of the people that have recently found themselves preparing for endgame.. I have suddenly lost the drive for it that I had. I feel now, whatever I do is pointless anywho. I know, like I said.. Still a year or more to go, so I should just suck it up and get on with it, cause I really want "teh shinyz" but I still feel a little gutted.

Really, just wanted to see if there was anyone else at this point (Getting ready for endgame, to have it cut short.) I also understand that FFXI isn't going to die when FFXIV is released, simply people shall leave, servers will merge. People say you wont notice.. But realisticly, every server has a community, that everyone knows. Be it the smart ***, that shouts snidy comments in WG all day, or the uptight ---- that wont merit 'cause you only have 1 BRD. I'm going to miss the people that leave, and I wonder if that will be enough, for myself to leave FFXI altogether.

Anyone else have any feelings like this, feel free to put them up. I wanted this is be a semi-lighthearted thread, so no flame wars please. Just post how you think things will happen, and what you think might happen to FFXI, and it's community once FFXIV comes blistering in.



Cheers all. ~Zyogi|Explosivesheep

Edited again, because I'm a ***** <3

Edited, Jun 11th 2009 5:13pm by Zyogi
____________________________
Commander MojoVIII wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong per ce, I'm just saying I'm right.


mmhmmm
˙·٠●•Enjoi
#2 Jun 11 2009 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Sounds like you should read this thread right here! :P

But in all seriousness, I feel you. It's tough to put in the hours when you know that things are coming to an end, community-wise. What I'm doing is playing at a very casual pace and waiting for more FFXIV info. I'm definitely doing whatever I can to get into that beta, and I'm absolutely getting FFXIV on release. Being disheartened is easily offset by the fact that a brand new world is coming our way soon enough.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#3 Jun 11 2009 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Lol, my bad for missing that. Haven't had a chance to go through all the topics on here yet. They pop rather fast lol. Playing at a casual pace sounds like a plan though, and the though of XIV is a good one indeed. Just hope, if I go, some friends come too. XD

Thanks for replaying. ^^;
____________________________
Commander MojoVIII wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong per ce, I'm just saying I'm right.


mmhmmm
˙·٠●•Enjoi
#4 Jun 11 2009 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,159 posts
I think the question you need to ask yourself is why do you play FFXI? If you play it because it's fun than no matter what happens later it is not pointless because it is serving it's purpose. If, however, you play because you feel an obligation to finish what you have started because you don't want all of the time you spent getting to where you are wasted, there is no point in playing.
#5 Jun 11 2009 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
Someone invent FFXI Viagra already.
#6 Jun 12 2009 at 4:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
253 posts
I said my sad good bye to FFXI a few years ago. I've yet to find a game that came close the the FF flare and style, but I sure don't miss all the faults with the game. For now I've been kicking around RoM since I see how they borrowed some of their design and mobs from FFXI. They even have a Chocobo type mount option. Of course I would drop the game and purge it if FFXIV comes out next week.
____________________________
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
We are the BLU. Lower your shields and power down your weapons. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile
#7 Jun 12 2009 at 5:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
not at all, "business as usual" in XI for me although I'm very much looking forward to XIV
____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
#8 Jun 12 2009 at 5:59 AM Rating: Excellent
**
852 posts
Pikko wrote:
Someone invent FFXI Viagra already.


(06/12/2009) FFXI Version Update

In the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XI version update, the following new NPCs will be added to the starter cities to address player malaise regarding the planned release of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Viagra - Windurst Waters North (G-8)
Levitra - Port Bastok (K-Y)
Cialis - Northern San D'Oria (6-9)


Talking to any of these NPCs will reward the player with an "uplifting" message about the future of FFXI, such as the following examples:
- "There's still at least a year of content left!"
- "How about that Shantotto expension, eh?"
- "Now might be a good time to start a relic weapon!"
- "I bet a serving of Galkan Sausage would perk you right up!"

Be sure to watch for future updates, including the new Game Transfer System. For more details, trade all your gil and items to the NPC Moarqq at Ru'Lude Gardens (G-9).
____________________________
[ffxisig]49934[/ffxisig]

SMN 90 | BLM 90 | WHM 83
twitter.com/nupinu
It rubs the fewell on its skin or else it gets the thwack again.

Thydonon wrote:
SMN is just epic in it's scope. You gain fame in all cities to have their avatars. When others finish ToAU, they get toys; you get gods.
#9 Jun 12 2009 at 6:21 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
I think all good things come to an end and people move on.

It's natural to be connected to a community and feel some sadness when it starts to close down, but I liken it to the end of High School or College. Everyone had a lot of years together, they laughed, they cried, they stayed up all night partying, they got some nice things and sometimes they were disappointed... And it was great, but at some point, all things must end and people move on to have new experiences in new places. This is no different.

There will be some people who can't let FFXI go and stay until the bitter end because their accomplishments are too much for them to bear being without, but I do predict that barring some unprecedented level of suck in the new game, everyone will be playing it almost exclusively. Ultimately, I do think that a large migration is going to happen. I mean let's face it, a whole lot of people have been complaining for years about things they hated in XI and this game looks very much like it's just what the doctor ordered.

The trick is to see it as an opportunity, something designed to give you something more, rather than take something (FFXI) away. New experiences can be scary, and it's sometimes hard to leave that comfort zone, but don't look at what you are leaving behind, look at what lies ahead.

And that is true of anything in life.
#10 Jun 16 2009 at 10:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
48 posts
Zyogi wrote:
I feel now, whatever I do is pointless anywho


They've said that they still plan on implementing at least a year's worth of content even after XIV's release (if I remember correctly).

A year is a long time, so I wouldn't think that what you do now is pointless or not worth your time. Especially when considering that there's plenty of time left!
#11 Jun 16 2009 at 11:22 PM Rating: Default
**
572 posts

I know this might sound awkward, but if I would be you I would stop playing FF11 and do some other things in my life in preparation for FF14.
Once FF14 starts there won’t be any time left for anything else ( at least not for me ) so you might better start doing those things ;D
#12 Jun 16 2009 at 11:47 PM Rating: Default
*
50 posts
I did have that pointless feeling...for like a second. then I realized that its not pointless because there is still a whole storyline I don't know about. and I have a year to figure it all out...maybe more if ffxiv doesnt completely suck me away.
____________________________
FFXI
Server-Ifrit
Name-Maddoxs
LS-Connectionlost2
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/imsohoodbitch/Taruagainstpunting.jpg
^Taru's against punting Protest -2006^
#13 Jun 17 2009 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
131 posts
I have never cared too much about endgame and still have plenty of goals to do before FFXIV releases; sure some of my goals have become pointless and would be a waste of time now like getting certain equipment or getting my crafting skill up to 100; but there are plenty to do until that time. There are a couple jobs I would still like to level and finish a couple story lines which I think I can finish within a years time. I expect less and less people to be playing as FFXIV launch gets closer but hey... as long as I am having fun what do I care.
#14 Jun 17 2009 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
I have become a bit disheartened with pursuing my main character further, considering that I am for sure switching to FFXIV when it comes out. (Been playing since NA PC release, did you know RDM used to suck? lol go figure) However, considering that I have about a year to play, I decided to start a new character and go through all the early stuff again. Trying to re-ignite that old flame I once had with my main character. Instead of monk, I'm going whm 37, SMN 75 as an in-game SMN friend offered to solo most of my avatars for me. I'm looking forward to it :) Don't have much time anymore to take part in LS events anyway. Anyone else just decided to kick around and take it slow?
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)