Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Why did you leave FFXI?Follow

#102 Dec 22 2009 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
**
261 posts
I really got into the game because of three elements:

1. Character development, so becoming stronger and more diverse and the feeling I was working on something

2. Playing with friends, meaning adventuring, missions, camping and even farming.

3. The joy of achieving something you really wanted to do or getting something you have been after for quite some time. Could be getting a certain drop or getting acces to a certain area or completing a storyline.

Now I just quit very recently because:

1. I had seven lvl 75 jobs; and 8th or a 9th would be just a matter of numbers.

2. Some friends quit, others were sucked up by endgame. LS events became almost impossible because at any given day more than half of the people have something scheduled already. Exit social element of the game.

Doing (3) without being able to enjoy it with your ingame-buddies is cold and feels like strictly business. I am there for fun, not for business.

That's basically it. I hope XIV will bring us a world where players can continue to make progress - gear wise as well - without being forced into typical endgame activities.

____________________________
BANNED
#103 Dec 22 2009 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
****
6,470 posts
I left because I realized that my time spent playing the game involved 95% farming in the marshes with my LFG flag up, and 5% actually partying for exp.

Even as a RNG (and a damned good one, if I do say so myself), parties were just too few and far between. If I played for 8 hours in a day with my LFG flag up, I'd get an invite on the 6th hour, we'd be ready to leave Jeuno at the 7.5 hour, and we'd level for the last half hour before something would happen and the group would fold. Pretty aggravating.

I just couldn't invest that kind of time anymore. I can only play for a few hours a day now, and it became impossible to accomplish anything in FFXI in that amount of time.

If that's been changed in FFXIV, it'll go a long way towards getting me back into it.

Edited, Dec 22nd 2009 3:49pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#104AlexFitz, Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 4:38 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The Monthly Fee.
#105 Dec 22 2009 at 5:44 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
College... had to keep focused

But... now I'm graduating just in time for XIV!! wooot!!
____________________________
Here are some pictures from the XI beta:
http://s1016.photobucket.com/albums/af289/Paranoidpuma/
Some cool pics of the Gigatoad and GM characters in there

Some old videos I made (Don't make fun of them, I was young at the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxdzD3gNtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3jUcsKt0E0

XI beta tester, played for 3 years, if you remember Superguy send me a PM
#106aesura, Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 6:55 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) why
#107 Dec 22 2009 at 7:06 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,080 posts

I left FF11 because I had done everything available up to that point except AV and PW. It didn't seem likely I'd ever do them. The new stuff they were adding (and since added) was too fiddly for me and I was bored with the same old events.

I really enjoyed playing FF11 for all the years I did. No regrets here. Just comes a point when all is done.

I'm really looking forward to FF14.
____________________________
Meara -> Meare
Ramuh -> Bahamut
#108 Dec 23 2009 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
*
105 posts
I started FFXI at the PS2 launch, it was my first and only MMORPG. I played it religiously, especially during 2004-2005. Around the end of 2005 I could feel that I was getting a little bored since I had seen everything and accomplished most of my goals. I think I canceled my content IDs in early 2006. A lot of people I knew were quitting around that time. I really don't have too many complaints about the game other than the character movement was too slow. Even riding on a Chocobo felt slow for me.
____________________________
Kentai: Hume male Gilgamesh server (retired 2006)
RNG75, NIN75, PLD67, WAR60, BRD60, RDM55, BLM50, DRK40, WHM38, THF37
#109 Dec 25 2009 at 12:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
285 posts
Ya'know I Actually liked leveling in FFXI. Don't ask me why, I'll constantly ***** about it taking to long, but I did enjoy it. Anywasy I quit because LFG got old. The fun classes(for me) kept me in lfg for 8 hours+, it was gosh darning stupid. I quit because the developers are retarded. They kept fscking up good thing after good thing. Got a good farm spot? Nerfed. Like your job? Too bad. Oh hey, here's a cool new system! Too bad it sucks! Yeah things like that. Remember when everyone was getting hyped about item enchants and they turned out to fsck your equipment up half the time?

I left because when I Finally could get on a roll and get good groups, after a couple levels back to farming for a month or two. Then if I could stomach it and get super phat +1 item of joy, lfg for another 8+ hours and logging. End game was just a mash of people, it was pretty boring. Retarded drop rates further sucked endgame into a sucky suck hole.

The MAIN reason I left, is because I found WoW. I was AMAZED to not be punished for actually playing the game. It was odd how I could log on and do something in an hour then go to work. Then come back home and do something else for an hour. Blizzard keeps adding in these new things (Heres to you LFG heroics made EZ), where as FFXI adds in some syth bull that takes a billion people.

I could go on but I wont. It's just to god damned frustating. The big prob was I LOVED that game, if it had've been done right it would have blown everything away. Then again so would SWG and the MAtrix Online. Why do developers suck 80% of the time?
____________________________
Shaani - Cait sith
75 Samurai
Other crap that isnt 75

Morente wrote:

PUP is like Albert Einstein. Everyone thinks it's retarded until someone shows it's true potential.
#110 Dec 25 2009 at 1:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
I sympathize with the (!)'ing but why don't you people just make a party? Jesus, I was a Monk and after an hour or so, I just said **** it, slapped one together and churned out 4 or 5 hours of solid XPing.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#111 Dec 25 2009 at 2:43 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
285 posts
TheShadowWalker wrote:
I sympathize with the (!)'ing but why don't you people just make a party? Jesus, I was a Monk and after an hour or so, I just said @#%^ it, slapped one together and churned out 4 or 5 hours of solid XPing.


Because a lot of the time tanks and healers weren't LFG.
____________________________
Shaani - Cait sith
75 Samurai
Other crap that isnt 75

Morente wrote:

PUP is like Albert Einstein. Everyone thinks it's retarded until someone shows it's true potential.
#112 Dec 25 2009 at 4:42 AM Rating: Decent
**
261 posts
TheShadowWalker wrote:
I sympathize with the (!)'ing but why don't you people just make a party? Jesus, I was a Monk and after an hour or so, I just said @#%^ it, slapped one together and churned out 4 or 5 hours of solid XPing.


Really, if it was so simple, you wouldn't even wait for an hour to start forming your own party.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to start your own party. No, cause there are times when you would be able to form two. However, there are also more than enough times when you're looking for players for more than two hours - to the point where it doesn't pay off to start anything anymore - and just fail.

Being an optimist isn't bad I guess, but please be a bit more realistic. Starting or returning players might start to think that all it takes is a little bit of effort and that people who mention a lack of party invitations are just lazy.

Not true.


Edited, Dec 25th 2009 5:48am by Maaia
____________________________
BANNED
#113 Dec 25 2009 at 7:43 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,754 posts
main reason.. i disliked having to wait hours to get a party together and finally get to where we were gonna level... so the time factor... mix this in with a trial invitation to WoW by my mates who had already swapped over and it wasnt long before i stopped playing.. sadly...
____________________________
The Accursed Being Sent By Heaven; Jenova: The Calamity From The Skies

WoW - EU - Al'Akir - Goblin Warlock
Taoquitok

FFXI - Bismarck
Jenovaomega
#114 Dec 25 2009 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
The incident that broke the camel's back, as it were. It was a microcosm of my frustrations with Final Fantasy XI:

I first quit FFXI when my CoP static fell apart at chapter 5. Several months later, when ToAU came out, I picked up the 360 version and decided to give the game a second go. I unlocked Blue Mage and leveled it up to 40 in about a month.

I had enough gil to buy one accuracy ring, and I decided I would put a group together to kill the Carmine Dobsonflies. I had gone with my CoP static to kill the Carmine Dobsonflies a few times as a Paladin, but because I didn't have a DD job leveled at the time I passed on all the drops. My linkshell wasn't interested, so I put together a pick-up group with a couple Summoners after posting to a bunch of FFXI forums.

It was absurd. The Summoners were too cheap to buy any level-cap gear for Riverne, so I was the only one in the group who had any gear. And the god damned wyverns refused to drop any scales. We knew an HNMLS was killing the flies, so we got there a few hours before they would arrive, and it took over two hours of killing wyverns to get the scales, which are not a rare drop, and we were killing them pretty quickly. By that time, the HNMLS had beaten us to them, and some of the naked Summoners got aggroed along the way, so only me and one Summoner made it to the flies. They were killing the flies, and it was bad etiquette for us to do so, but I was really ****** at this point already, and one of the members of the HNMLS was a former member of my social linkshell that I hated, so me and the Summoner decided we would use our two hours and steal as many of the flies off them as we could. We managed to kill 3 or 4 of the flies and one Jaeger Ring dropped. The Summoner lotted really low, like 30/1000, so I was confident the ring was mine. Then I lotted like 8/1000. And at that point after a few weeks of planning an event and nothing to show for it because of one instance of rotten luck after another, I decided it just wasn't worth it and quit the game for good.

Edited, Dec 25th 2009 10:34am by FilliamHMuffman
#115 Dec 25 2009 at 9:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
For me, it was just too hard to find people do actually do the storyline content of the game when you were just getting into it years after release. Occasionally you got lucky and found people on the same part as you, but in the end I don't want to play a game with such a high time investment required to team up. I like playing with other people but if I can't proceed when I can't find that exact party/alliance setup then something is flawed.

Nyzul was the epitome of ridiculousness, in that SE forced players to only play with ones on the same level. How did they ever think it was a good idea to divide players into 20 strata for that? (those on level 0, those on level 5, those on level 10, etc.) It was just horribly frustrating.
#116 Dec 25 2009 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:

Really, if it was so simple, you wouldn't even wait for an hour to start forming your own party.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to start your own party. No, cause there are times when you would be able to form two. However, there are also more than enough times when you're looking for players for more than two hours - to the point where it doesn't pay off to start anything anymore - and just fail.

Being an optimist isn't bad I guess, but please be a bit more realistic. Starting or returning players might start to think that all it takes is a little bit of effort and that people who mention a lack of party invitations are just lazy.

Not true.
Well, I was usually doing something else if I was looking for a group. It's not optimistic to think, "hey, I don't really need a whm. pld/war, rdm/whm, mnk/war, sam/thf, brd/whm, blm/whm will work fine" The best parties I had in ffxi were less a party and more a motley crew that got tired of waiting and was willing to try something new.

It's not like this always works but, honestly, most of the time it did. I have put together quite a few parties.

If you found it had been difficult, whatever, but I find the attitude like - don't get people's hopes up, it's really difficult - to be a bit off.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#117 Dec 25 2009 at 4:19 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Quote:
Well, I was usually doing something else if I was looking for a group. It's not optimistic to think, "hey, I don't really need a whm. pld/war, rdm/whm, mnk/war, sam/thf, brd/whm, blm/whm will work fine" The best parties I had in ffxi were less a party and more a motley crew that got tired of waiting and was willing to try something new.

It's not like this always works but, honestly, most of the time it did. I have put together quite a few parties.

If you found it had been difficult, whatever, but I find the attitude like - don't get people's hopes up, it's really difficult - to be a bit off.


Are you serious? You have a tank, a RDM and a BRD and you think that's a motley crew? "I don't really need a WHM" so you use a RDM instead? That is the same as saying you don't need a PLD, but you'll go and pick up a NIN no problem. You don't need a SAM, you'll get a WAR instead. Amazing discovery. Except people are saying that you can't find essentials like healers or tanks, meaning you don't have the luxury to simply pick the next best thing.

If it was a motley crew you'd be forced to get a WAR tank or BLU healer or something more bizarre because there is nothing else.
#118 Dec 25 2009 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
38 posts
Quote:
I sympathize with the (!)'ing but why don't you people just make a party? Jesus, I was a Monk and after an hour or so, I just said @#%^ it, slapped one together and churned out 4 or 5 hours of solid XPing.


My thoughts exactly. Building 95% of all exp parties I was in, I have never fathomed actually standing and waiting around for an invite - that truly would be a bore to me. I suppose it all depends on what kind of player/person you are. A pro-active player would rarely be bored.

If I knew I was getting ready to party soon, I would start /sea spamming while I crafted or what-not to see if anything prospective was out there. If I could find a tank and a few melee, game on. Sometimes not even that much, and I still went with it. Only on a few rare occasions did I have to disband because we couldn't find enough people.

I never understood why people would rather stand around and complain while everything they needed for a great party was LFG. I have actually built LS members' parties for them just to shut them up. Most of the time, however, they would just ***** that they didn't want to lead. Amazing.

Anyhow, I left XI for the 3rd and last time two weeks ago mainly because of school and family priorities. My last character I created back in August this year, which already had 75RDM/NIN, nicely equipped, and almost all jobs 21+. I didn't get that in such a short time by way of massive time devotions, dualboxing, or SMN burn or anything like that -- it's called going out there and getting what you want.
#119 Dec 26 2009 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
482 posts
The only reason I quit was because of the credit card verification thingy. I live in New Zealand, and I imported the US version for PC when it first got released. When the credit card verification thing started, my credit card was due to expire, and ever since then, it wouldn't work. I tried contacting SE, but since I don't have the original billing details when I first signed up, they can't help me.

So there you go, I didn't as much quit, as I was forced to thanks to SE's silly accounts system.
____________________________
Kuyo - Hume Male - Pandemonium server (Retired)
75 Monk, 75 Samurai
#120 Dec 26 2009 at 11:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
977 posts
I left because SE started adding a lot of stupid new **** into the game under the pretense of content. I don't like to support a game like this.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#121 Dec 27 2009 at 1:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I left because the gameplay was boring, and I'll add that for whatever reasons people offer for leaving, short of simply not having reasonable access to the game, good gameplay will stop anyone from leaving.

The game just became too simple. Not enough depth and complexity to keep my teeth sunk in. Customization (gameplay, not aesthetic) would go a long way, as would more cooperative interaction in parties, more action and strategy elements, and player versus player. FFXI just didn't test my skills as a player (though it surely tested my patience as a human), and likewise my character's progress reflected not my own skills and progress, but my patience.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#122 Dec 27 2009 at 2:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
899 posts
Quote:
So there you go, I didn't as much quit, as I was forced to thanks to SE's silly accounts system.


Same for me, Couldnt update my account info and my reg code was missing (have fun looking for anything inside my room..), I had a good LS (which disbanded 3-4months after I stopped playing... sadly). all other ppl excuses didnt bother me much as I could just ignoure it and always look into the bright side, Maybe coz I'm not the kind of guy who complain much about anything lol. but to each his own.

I'll be updating my payment info using my bro's xbox's account as it actually works and ignoure verified by visa thingy or so I've been told.
____________________________
Falasi of Bismarck.
THF75/WAR75/BLU75/RNG75/DRK75/MNK75/SAM66
ZM:done. PM:done. AM:done.
Assault: Captain
#123 Dec 27 2009 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
I don't play Final Fantasy XI anymore because the updates are so sparce that not enough content is being made to keep up with the rate that I'm completing it in.

They take a year to do three add-ons and my friends and I complete it in a couple of days. That's not enough content to justify waiting six months for a new update.

____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#124 Dec 27 2009 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Sadly I ended up quitting the game because I became so absolutely bored skilling up great axe, pole arm, great sword and scythe.. I actually nearly went crazy because of how long it was taking to get a +1.. It was taking longer to get my skills up to a respectable point than it would have to simply get to level 75 as war/bst or something....

I read that they fixed this in a later patch though. The experience was actually bad enough to push me away from the game though which was odd for me because I actually enjoyed meriting o.O and grinding mobs for xp....

edit: I just realized that back in June I said the same thing already.. /sigh

Edited, Dec 27th 2009 5:09pm by thorazinekizzez
#125 Dec 27 2009 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
My interest was beginning to wane in the months prior to WotG and when the "expansion" finally came, it succeeded in finishing it off completely. I retired before my good memories could be completely tainted by apathy and rancor. It was a good four years and I have no regrets. Looking forward to four more with XIV.
____________________________
<(`*m*`)> Retired from XI: 75 Rng, 75 Sam
#126 Dec 27 2009 at 6:09 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:


Are you serious? You have a tank, a RDM and a BRD and you think that's a motley crew? "I don't really need a WHM" so you use a RDM instead? That is the same as saying you don't need a PLD, but you'll go and pick up a NIN no problem. You don't need a SAM, you'll get a WAR instead. Amazing discovery. Except people are saying that you can't find essentials like healers or tanks, meaning you don't have the luxury to simply pick the next best thing.

If it was a motley crew you'd be forced to get a WAR tank or BLU healer or something more bizarre because there is nothing else.
Sorry, you're wrong. I don't know when you played. But several years ago it was rare for me to find a party with a PLD in it, because everyone had a NIN tank. Beyond that, you'd almost never see one without at least a WHM. And to see a PLD tank without a WHM healer was pretty unheard of. Also, it was quite likely that if you had a party of 5 people and were getting a PLD or RDM or what-have-you, someone in the party would leave because they refused to party without XXX job as healer or tank.

As long as you managed to find willing people, putting together a functional party wasn't that difficult. Most of the unwilling people were in demand jobs, anyway, so it really didn't matter.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#127 Dec 27 2009 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
737 posts
Time, my girlfriend, and FFXI became a chore.

When I met friends ingame it went from fun to a blast of a time. Cooking fest to skillup (see who could skill higher) with all of us in Windhurst packed in the cooking guild, chocobo races to Jueno, Rank 5 mission (airship pass). Those times were so **** thrilling and fun. There are tons of things like this. Really you feel like a family working together to advance. But having fun doing it was number one priority.

As soon as those you grew up with in game left or moved on from the shell it didn't feel like the same game. I remember BST-Inc on Pandemonium being a huge family of help. I remember the 75's doin Hakatu runs when I was a wee lil BST. And I so wanted to be able to help out. I never did. But ****. They were always down with helping, chatting, giving advice, and telling us to stick in there until we got "leave", it will turn your BST career to the positive. And we gave the same positive reinforcement to those wee lil BST below us.

Without the interaction and diverse mentalities of friendly players, FFXI is a chore... It's just not fun or the same.
____________________________
#128 Dec 27 2009 at 6:41 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong. I don't know when you played. But several years ago it was rare for me to find a party with a PLD in it, because everyone had a NIN tank. Beyond that, you'd almost never see one without at least a WHM. And to see a PLD tank without a WHM healer was pretty unheard of. Also, it was quite likely that if you had a party of 5 people and were getting a PLD or RDM or what-have-you, someone in the party would leave because they refused to party without XXX job as healer or tank.

As long as you managed to find willing people, putting together a functional party wasn't that difficult. Most of the unwilling people were in demand jobs, anyway, so it really didn't matter.



Why on earth are you talking about several years ago? When the playerbase might have been double or triple it is now, it was easier to form parties you say? The person you quoted said you shouldn't be so optimistic so that people think all you need is to not be lazy to get a party started nowadays. All you're doing is talking about in the past, I never said it was hard to make parties two or three years ago. Now it's different.

People only wanting NIN tanks instead of PLDs back then does not compare to today. Back then if there were no NINs you at least had the option to pick a PLD instead. It doesn't matter if NIN was more sought out for because at least you had a bloody tank you could invite. It's far harder to find tanks and healers now than it was before and it's not because people are being picky.

Heres a question for you, when did you stop playing FFXI? NIN used to be the most popular tank for leveling but it's PLD now easily, you stopped playing before that happened? If you did, why are you even talking? Everyone in this thread is talking about modern day FFXI and how it's hard to find essential party members like tanks and healers. If you quit years ago your opinion is outdated and useless.
#129 Dec 27 2009 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:


Heres a question for you, when did you stop playing FFXI? NIN used to be the most popular tank for leveling but it's PLD now easily, you stopped playing before that happened? If you did, why are you even talking? Everyone in this thread is talking about modern day FFXI and how it's hard to find essential party members like tanks and healers. If you quit years ago your opinion is outdated and useless.
Really? Really? what the @#%^ is the name of the thread? "Why did you leave FFXI?" Not "Why did you leave FFXI within the past 3 months?" @#%^ OFF


Considering FFXI has been going for a solid 7 years now, there's a much better chance someone quit playing 2-4 years ago, as opposed to within the last year. Why are you talking if your only purpose is to tell other people to be quiet?

Edited, Dec 27th 2009 9:42pm by TheShadowWalker
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#130 Dec 27 2009 at 10:14 PM Rating: Good
11 posts
Quote:
there's a much better chance someone quit playing 2-4 years ago


Look at that, we might be onto something. A lot of people have quit since you did. There's less players, meaning less people to form parties with. So why, exactly, should you be telling people that quitting because it's near impossible for them to find or form parties isn't a valid enough reason to do so? It's not a case of anyone simply needing to try and form parties. shaani quit recently because it took him/her too long to form a party and you gave them advice that would only apply if you gave them a time machine to go along with it. No amount of effort will make people appear out of nowhere so there's people to party with.

We all get your point. Sitting on your *** isn't going to get you a party quicker most of the time compared to making one yourself, if the required jobs are available. That's not the reason shaani quit and many other people have quit. They quit because there's no one to party with. It's a perfectly valid reason and has been for many years, so leave it at that.
#131 Dec 27 2009 at 10:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
899 posts
Quote:
Look at that, we might be onto something. A lot of people have quit since you did. There's less players, meaning less people to form parties with. So why, exactly, should you be telling people that quitting because it's near impossible for them to find or form parties isn't a valid enough reason to do so? It's not a case of anyone simply needing to try and form parties. shaani quit recently because it took him/her too long to form a party and you gave them advice that would only apply if you gave them a time machine to go along with it. No amount of effort will make people appear out of nowhere so there's people to party with.


This is not to attack anyone but honestly Its WAAAAY easier to make parties now then before , between level sync and TP burn setups (where you dont really need a tank), its just us being lazy to form our own parties (And I understand that coz myself included hate making parties).

just my 2cents
____________________________
Falasi of Bismarck.
THF75/WAR75/BLU75/RNG75/DRK75/MNK75/SAM66
ZM:done. PM:done. AM:done.
Assault: Captain
#132 Dec 27 2009 at 11:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
415 posts
I left because I really couldn't kill gods with my LS like a wanted to. I was always at work when they did gods.

Edited, Dec 28th 2009 12:33am by jakarai
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#133 Dec 28 2009 at 2:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
College was a big reason for me, too. I started in 2006 and stopped in 2008. Made considerable progress as far as levels are concerned; endgame and big money items, not so much. I quit the month before my freshman year. Funnily enough my laptop crashed as soon as I got to school, and I couldn't be bothered buying FFXI again since I lost the disc anyway.

More reasons:

1 - People thinking I was poor at my job upon inviting me just because I happened to only have "bandwagon" jobs at 75 (SAM and BRD). I had no idea about the bandwagon because I never really frequented Alla; I just really loved the jobs. Once they saw that I was great at my job, they treated me like a **** princess. I am female IRL, but I played as a male character, but despite pt members not knowing this they still acted like they were practically hitting on me, especially while I was on BRD. That just told me that most of the community who was inviting me wasn't to my tastes.

2 - Leveling SAM at certain levels, mostly before 55, and having to ask people who weren't seeking if they wanted to party. Granted when I got the idea to just suck it up and lead a party, by the time I asked three people, the other two had logged. 60% of the time it was either "no" or no response from the non-seekers. I hated the invisible pressure from the other three members to fill up the party, and yet nearly 100% of the time they were very understanding. Yeah...understanding while afk and playing Halo 3 and ignoring numerous <call>s.

3 - I never talked much in my EG shells (only had two). I was comfortable with the leader and sacks and the friends who suggested I submit an application, but that was generally it. My first LS was just to get my feet in the water, and I didn't stay for very long because I ended up getting fed up with everyone. My second one was great but I didn't feel like I fit in with people besides the leader and sacks, even when I did talk. It was just uncomfortable and eventually showing up to events five mins early while some regulars were fifteen to twenty minutes late got real old real fast.

4 - I always had a hard time making gil. I never really made it past the 950k mark. I think I just started playing at a bad time. The word 'inflation' would always make me grumble in annoyance. Whatever gil I did make would be gone in a matter of days, buying pots/oil, tools, food, CoP items, armor...so spending most of my money on consumables made me feel like I wasn't making any progress gil-wise. But that's also just me being hard on myself.

There are quite a few other reasons, but I'll save you the read and just end this here.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#134 Dec 28 2009 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
22 posts
Quote:
Quoted Text
Quote:
Quoted Text
I see player after player talking about a "Time Investment" on this thread and others...

It seems like people need to think of this as a game and not a job...

you don't "invest" time into a game because you are really not going to get anything out of it except enjoyment and complaining about "time investments" doesnt sound fun... you play it and have fun

Don't get me wrong, i understand where a lot of you are coming from... you just need a new frame of mind



You have no idea what you talking about

The reason PPl are using Time Investment is b/c this game is extreamly time consuming so no matter how you try to look at it is what it is but a Time Investment game. if you compare to WOW you dont need to make schedule to play the game you can just log in at what ever time and run what ever u want but in ffxi you cant just log in the game and say hey i am gona run Dynamis or limbus rigth now, you have to make a schedule and log in at that time and that is call investing time
#135 Dec 28 2009 at 3:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
73 posts
I left because I sucked too much at making gil, I felt that I was wearing inferior stuff compared to the rest of the guys in my party, and I hated that. But seriously, I felt I tried it all. Farming (huge @#%^ing fun with WHM as my highest job, yes?). I tried farming raw materials, like mining. I tried tried cooking, alchemy and blacksmithing, I never had the money to begin with to get high enough skill to make money off HQing stuff. I tried playing the AH, you know, buy low/sell high, buying off vendors and selling higher on AH, exploiting AH price differences between cities. Found out too many already did that to make it profitable. Fishing moat carp and AHing became my main source of income :/ This was playing for one year, starting PC US release, for whatever that matters. Is there like anything I could have done to have made it work?

There were other stuff that was irritating, like some stuff just took too long time to do, just sorting through bags, mog (bank) space, auctions, sh*t like that could take hours.

I wish I wouldn't have burned out on this stuff, because I never got too far in the game (mid-40's I think?), and I felt that there were so much good stuff I was missing out on.

Edited, Dec 28th 2009 4:47pm by Torpedoo
#136 Dec 28 2009 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
***
1,353 posts
Quote:
I left because I sucked too much at making gil, I felt that I was wearing inferior stuff compared to the rest of the guys in my party, and I hated that. But seriously, I felt I tried it all. Farming (huge @#%^ing fun with WHM as my highest job, yes?). I tried farming raw materials, like mining. I tried tried cooking, alchemy and blacksmithing, I never had the money to begin with to get high enough skill to make money off HQing stuff. I tried playing the AH, you know, buy low/sell high, buying off vendors and selling higher on AH, exploiting AH price differences between cities. Found out too many already did that to make it profitable. Fishing moat carp and AHing became my main source of income :/ This was playing for one year, starting PC US release, for whatever that matters. Is there like anything I could have done to have made it work?
Next time stick to one thing. All of those ideas work all right, but only if you get good at them. You don't get good at something by doing 4 other things. Just some advice.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#137 Jan 05 2010 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
I have played the game off and on again since NA launch, but the last time I quit was this past July '09. This was mainly because my endgame shell split up (shout out to any of the former members of oONemesisOo on Fairy), and those events (Dynamis, Limbus, etc.) were the only things I got on for by that time.

Looking back, I'd have to say the things that keep me from coming back again would be the randomness and low percentages of drop rates. Considering what you have to do to even get a shot at certain things, the drops should have a much higher chance of being attained, if not guaranteed.

I've been playing WoW since the beginning of November, but I'm getting bored with that as well. I'm interested in FFXIV, but only if they get rid of the ridiculous ratio or reward vs time spent, among other things.

____________________________
FFXIV - Neo Geo (formerly Droxy Durango)
FFXI - Brit *Manly man on the Fairy server*
{Retired for good in 2010 after the server transfer and forced name change)

#138 Jan 05 2010 at 9:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,793 posts
I left behind a 75 PLD, WAR, BST, RDM with capped merits; complete Zilart, CoP (pre-nerf), ToA missions, Bastok rank 10; full WAR and BST AF2; capped Dagger, Polearm, Great Axe, Axe, Sword, Two-Handed Sword, Hand-to-Hand skills; WSNMs complete for Dagger, Polearm, Great Axe, Axe, Sword, and Two-handed sword...for WoW the instant I demoed it, without a shred of hesitation.

Why? Because I could fvcking solo, and still achieve things, not be penalized, obtain gear, and still have--gasp--FUN! WoW is FUN. FFXI is WORK. There are periods of my FFXI life spent skilling up weapons and breaking WSNM weapons that are blotted out of my memory as psychological barriers against going absolutely batsh1t INSANE.

Edit: Oh, and I sat in Cadevara Mire FOR HOURS PLD/RDM capping Parry and Shield so I could be a more effective tank, SOLO. I'm not hardcore enough for FFXI; I should play WoW? FUCCCKKKK YOUUUUU

Edited, Jan 5th 2010 10:22am by Warne
____________________________
Come into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the faith in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight

Snooochie wrote, concerning BST forums:
Quote:
This forum used to be all about "How can we overcome this?" Now it seems to be all about "How can someone else fix this for me?"

#139 Jan 05 2010 at 11:35 PM Rating: Decent
*
95 posts
I left because of the grind to get gear at end-game. I didn't have the patience to wait around for 2 years to get thief afv2 hands, farm materials in sky relentlessly to not have byakko shorts drop when we fought him. Too many people qqing and drama. I also found that wow had, in my opinion, a better combat system. Honestly though i played ffxi for 4 years and wow for 6 months. I had all the end-game gear i needed just after 6 months in wow. That was not rewarding at all and boring thus i quit. I hope ffxiv can find in equal balance in there somewhere. ( I will admit though when you got what you wanted in ffxi, it was really special ).
____________________________
Sin(SWTOR): 50 Jedi Sentinel

Krystalin(FFXI) :(retired) 85BRD/85BLM/85WAR/85BLU/85SAM/85DRG/85PLD/85RDM/85THF/85DRK/75BST/75PUP/75COR/75MNK/75NIN/75RNG

Vikzul(WoW):(retired) 80 rogue

Clytie(WoW):(retired) 80 pld
#140 Jan 06 2010 at 3:22 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Pretty much all the reasons you listed and also I hated not being able to do things on my own (solo) like my own af battles or quests similar instead of always needing a **** army with you IF YOU COULD FIND ONE TO HELP. So not enough solo content period. I could go on for days about greedy ppl in LS's but let's not.
____________________________


#141 Jan 06 2010 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
I haven't left FFXI, but to keep on topic, I will list the reasons why I have taken breaks.

Time constraints. This was big in FFXI. I got into Sky and Dynamis pretty early on, and committed no less than 4-5 hours a night, 4-5 nights a week for a very long time. To the point were I just couldn't look at the game on nights off from events. When I finally got Sea access and this was added to another night, I quit endgame... which prevented me from obtaining a lot of the better gear in the game at the time.

Departure of friends. I have been lucky enough to meet people in game that I truly consider friends in real life. Many have quit the game, or are on so casually I see them once every couple of months. Luckily my core group of 4 other friends still play and we continue to play together as a small group. Without them, I would have quit the game years ago.

Gil and rare items. This will be a bit of a mix of things. I always found it hard to earn gil in this game. I would craft and be undercut, I would farm materials and be undercut, I would find something I could NPC and SE would lower the price. I didn't exploit anything (item dupes, fish botting, etc) and really started to believe that cheating was how everyone made gil (or buying it). I'm pretty sure if I sold all my gear right now I would be worth about 8mil... Not because I have bad gear, but now 90% of my gear is ra/ex (homam, abjuration gear, relic gear, etc). This also poses an issue because I can't mule any of it... so right now I am pretty much at capacity, even with all the new storage features. I only have 4 jobs at 75 (and usually 1-2 leveling) and constantly have to validate some of the gear I keep. I believe that this will be made easier in FFXIV though... I hardly think they will limit your storage so much... and I think they will have a lot less in the gear department.

I think FFXI has done a good job recently of breathing life back into the game though. My GF has effectively solo'd up to 62 on her MNK at this point. We have recently started to Duo (either FoV or pet camps), and it is still viable over exp parties. While we do try to form parties at times, usually it is a lot easier to quickly gain 5-7k exp in an hour and be done for the night. Also with Synergy and new gear, crafting has some new life to it. I still find it hard to make money... but I have pretty much given up now. I have been sitting on the 3 ares body pieces for about 5 months now and am at 6 mil out of the 14+ mil to buy the items required... and have been since the first month... I just can't find the time/energy to farm that much lol.

Hopefully FFXIV will follow suit and be a more enjoyable experience, without losing the challenge and sense of accomplishment that FFXI had. I am looking forward to see how SE does with this challenge.
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#142 Jan 09 2010 at 2:43 AM Rating: Decent
29 posts
I left mostly because I missed the joy and sharing the joy when it first came out! Took a long break after 4 years of playing and came back only to play part time then that dwindled down to sporadic visits and mostly it was just because people I used to play with either:

A: Don't play anymore
B: Disappeared off of the face of the planet
C: Changed a lot and some were not always for the best.
D: Mostly just got bored and noticed how the game would make me EMO.
#143 Jan 09 2010 at 8:40 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
531 posts
I first wanted to say I enjoyed my time on FFXI. It was my first and still only MMO that I have played and I am glad I did play it. However, the reasons I left were:

1. I was a big fan of group events that weren't endgame such as eco-warrior and garrison, but as people leveled up higher there wasn't enough people to do these with me and my few friends in game.

2. Certain things I wanted to do like assault were impossible because I could never find the correct number of people to do them. (I was just unlucky for this one)

3. It just started to feel the same and when I heard about FFXIV I was like I think I'll stop playing FFXI and wait for FFXIV to come out.

4. Lastly, too much drama occured in one of my favorite LS's and they disbanded.
____________________________






#144 Jan 09 2010 at 8:52 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,487 posts
My work schedule coupled with SE's poor business practices did it for me. I could have kept playing around my schedule if I really wanted to, but SE didn't do nearly enough to make me think they were putting in anything but a token effort to keep the game running.
#145 Jan 11 2010 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
**
546 posts
For me it was a combination of factors.
I really enjoyed the game very much, and never have played a MMO with such intense and beautiful gameplay. Surely I will give FFXIV a try too, but i hope they make it more suitable for less-hardcore.
What I've heard is that they did improve this, but I played from the first week it was out (English version) till

My reasons to quit:

1. "LFP" syndrome - At some point i started to work on my BST since it was the only class that i could play when i was "only" 3 hours online. Otherwise you just spend hours looking for a party....

2. too much hours spend on lvling: it took me 5 days of hunting to get from 68 to 69... partially this can be improved by making it less party-dependent though.

3. Campers - some players were so hardcore, they ruined the fun for the casual gamers. Especially caming NM and HNM was annoying... only hardcore or extremely lucky folks could get the really unique gear...

In my opinion, it should be a combination of factors: partying in groups should be more beneficial, but lvling solo should simply also be possible.
____________________________
FFXI: Windwalker - Retired male elvaan (main job: pld59/war30)
FFXIV: tbc

#146 Jan 12 2010 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
568 posts
It's hard to justify paying a monthly fee for a good game, even if it's to play with friends.

So I certainly couldn't do it for a bad game.

Here's hoping FFXIV is wondrous.
#147 Jan 12 2010 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
It was a combination of things. Difficulty making money, Forced grouping, XP loss and Legvel downs on death. Any one of those things i could handle alone but put it all together... I dont mind grinding and I prefer grouping to playing solo in an mmo. But sitting around for 3 hours waiting on a party invite and not being able to do much alone sucked. Making money was hard and then you could watch all your progress erased in a single death. a few deaths and you get the level down. Like I siad if it had been any one of those things I could have handled it but all of them together drove me nuts after awhile.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#148 Jan 17 2010 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
166 posts
Payment method issues. That is not either having a credit card, or a 3-D secure credit card.
____________________________
Pearlsea 75 BST WAR Fairy
Pearlglo - 80 Paladin Mannoroth
#149 Jan 17 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
I quit twice, once after a year or so and once, much later, after a few weeks.

I first started playing when the game was still very new, and not a lot of players had even made it to endgame. So finding a party was absolutely no issue (especially because I was a taru BLM) most of the time.

I honestly don't remember why I quit. I was pretty young (junior high) at the time, so I think I just got bored. I came back a few years later when a friend gave me a free month, but finding a party was just too hard.
#150 Jan 17 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
i left cuz i got banned then hacked. good thing that security token came 3 days too late! if anyone wants the base info to my hacked account to see if they can get it somehow pm meh.
#151 Jan 17 2010 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I've been on break for a couple of months now. My reasons are basically the same as everyone else. I took this "break" because I was bored and it took forever to do anything. Gil is hard to obtain for the things you really, really need/want. I blew over 2000 beastseals on no drop Peacock/K club runs. The main reason as far as FFXI is concerned, the game is too much of a time sink. If I logged on at all, it would be to do FoV or something, but that's not enough content to keep me entertained. My final reason for taking a break from FFXI is so I can regain my passion for MMO's again with FFXIV. If I go into FFXIV with a bad attitude, chances are I'll be just as upset playing FFXIV too.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 10 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (10)