I really got into the game because of three elements:
1. Character development, so becoming stronger and more diverse and the feeling I was working on something
2. Playing with friends, meaning adventuring, missions, camping and even farming.
3. The joy of achieving something you really wanted to do or getting something you have been after for quite some time. Could be getting a certain drop or getting acces to a certain area or completing a storyline.
Now I just quit very recently because:
1. I had seven lvl 75 jobs; and 8th or a 9th would be just a matter of numbers.
2. Some friends quit, others were sucked up by endgame. LS events became almost impossible because at any given day more than half of the people have something scheduled already. Exit social element of the game.
Doing (3) without being able to enjoy it with your ingame-buddies is cold and feels like strictly business. I am there for fun, not for business.
That's basically it. I hope XIV will bring us a world where players can continue to make progress - gear wise as well - without being forced into typical endgame activities.