Wow, a lot of really great NM suggestions in here, I like what I'm saying.
I think they should implement a wide range of NM types listed in here, as something for everything is good.
The thing I want to say is that I really loved the NM system in XI. I liked the randomness of it. As somebody else said, the thrill of the hunt. I remember helping someone in Valkurm as a BST, noticing on my radar that the Valkurm Emporer was spawned, but far away. Me, having never camped him before, or even knowing much about him, excited as ****, heart pumping, booked it over to him. I thought for sure someone else would get him. As I ran up to it spamming my charm macro heart about to explode, I claimed it, killed it, and got the hairpin. I couldn't believe it.
On another note, I was also about 0/10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent and his Monster Signa, an item that would be useful to me as I played both Bard and Beast Master. It was depressing, but I did not need that item.
In fact, there is never a need for any NM item. Sure that +3DEX +3AGI on leaping boots might be good at low levels, and even the best item available for some jobs at higher levels, but it's not needed. At lower levels, the benefit you will grow less and less as you level quick, and as you get higher reasonable alternatives will become available.
What I think they should keep:
- Lottery pop NM
- Sellable, rare, drops that are good.
What I think they should fix:
- More consistancy, a.k.a 1 hour spawn, not 1-2 hour spawn. The longer the spawn times, the better the chance the drop.
- Some mobs drop ex items, some don't.
- Maybe NM's could have a common drop that is rare/ex, and a "+1" version that's better and sellable. That way if you fight this mob, you can easily get a good drop, but if you want to commit to it, you could potentially get a great drop.
- I liked the idea of aggro spawn, and hidden spawns, except you should be aware that it's an NM after you attack.
- Maybe level specific drops for NMs. If you kill leaping lizzy at level 30, you won't ever get the boots. Make the NMs give you EXP too so that if you continue to camp them you'll eventually become out of their range? Just an idea.
Overall I'm just not a fan of replacing world NMs with BCNMs or instanced NMs. I loved seeing random NMs walking around, wondering if they were story related, or had good drops. Picking fights with ones and not knowing what to expect. The world would seem empty without these random suckers walking around.