Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Fable + Follow

#52 Jun 22 2009 at 10:47 AM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
NO! Fable+FFXI+FFXIII= a game so crappy that Atlus wouldn't even publish it.
Now that is bad.
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#53Skeptic, Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 10:50 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) ^^ FTW.
#54 Jun 22 2009 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
777 posts
Skeptic wrote:
but let the kids have fun.

I'm going to be polite about this.

"Gays are Icky" posts? One word posts? **** jokes?

I don't know how old you are, and frankly I could care less. But you are acting extremely childish, and it looks very silly for you to be calling people kids in such a derogatory manner.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#55 Jun 22 2009 at 11:03 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
Quote:

Honestly I'm more worried about the "Let's get wet" thread being in such close proximity to my Manthra/Girlka one. I'm afraid people might get the wrong idea.

rule 34? ._.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#56 Jun 22 2009 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Bardalicious wrote:
Quote:

Honestly I'm more worried about the "Let's get wet" thread being in such close proximity to my Manthra/Girlka one. I'm afraid people might get the wrong idea.

rule 34? ._.

I've seen rule 34 on Galkas. For some reason, artists seem to struggle with Galka anatomical correctness.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#57Skeptic, Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 11:04 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Are you serious? Lighten up. Never said Gays are icky. The **** line was a joke, get over it. One word posts, so?
#58 Jun 22 2009 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
*
192 posts
Quote:
rule 34? ._.


Sometimes I think it's a sounder law of the universe than, say, gravity itself. :o

____________________________
The Other Castle
#59 Jun 22 2009 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
successful derail is successful xD
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#60 Jun 22 2009 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,684 posts
Quote:
Are you serious? Lighten up. Never said Gays are icky.


you're right, by implying that children needed to be protected from the concept of gays, you were insinuating that gays truly are pockets full of sunshine.


We really do need to protect children from things like pockets full of sunshine. Have you ever tried to remove sunshine stains? it's IMPOSSIBLE.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#61 Jun 22 2009 at 11:11 AM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:

We really do need to protect children from things like pockets full of sunshine. Have you ever tried to remove sunshine stains? it's IMPOSSIBLE.



Wtf..?
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#62 Jun 22 2009 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Quote:
Wtf..?


i apologize, my brand of sarcasm can get a bit out of hand, allow me to reiterate. By stating that you "never said gays were icky" you contradicted the theme of your earlier post. By implying that children need to be shielded from the concept of *** people, you supply a negative viewpoint on the *** community (such as being "icky").

____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#63 Jun 22 2009 at 11:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
People should be more concerned about Taru being allowed to marry Galka. Talk about physical incompatability... =P
#64 Jun 22 2009 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Calispel wrote:
People should be more concerned about Taru being allowed to marry Galka. Talk about physical incompatability... =P

Or ****, people marrying Taru's in general. The very idea simply screams internet predator.

...

Also. *cough*GalkasHaveNoGenitalia*cough*

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 3:32pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#65 Jun 22 2009 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
Quote:

Also. *cough*GalkasHaveNoGenitalia*cough*


although their tails may not be as versatile as a mithra's, it gets the job done...?
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#66 Jun 22 2009 at 11:38 AM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
Quote:
moral choices in FFXIV? It's not going to happen.. It looks like what you want is Fable 2 DLC. I'm with the guy who's had it with all the Oblivion, Diablo, Fable, talk.. This isn't your UhMERican RPG. If anything, it's borrowing heavily from FFXI and will bear as little resemblance to those other games as possible.


No I think you're very wrong there, I only thought of Fable as an example of a game with multiple choices, there's many games out there that far better exemplify this, games like KOTOR and Mass Effect for example - games in which it can be argued such game mechanics undoubtedly worked.
The fact is that amongst FFXI's few vaunted points over other RPGs is that it has a plot that can immerse the player in their own experience, what better way to immerse the invidicual in their own adventure than to offer multiple choices?

As for stereotyping 'American' RPGs (although the Fable games were developed in England if we're going to be pedantic about it), I don't think that dig at my supposed tastes even warrants discussion.
#67 Jun 22 2009 at 11:52 AM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:
Or ****, people marrying Taru's in general. The very idea simply screams internet predator.

...



Why don't you have a seat right there..
You do know that Taru RDM was only level 13?
"She said she was an 18 with Subjob, she was on anon!"
.....Well, I'm Chris Hansen, and I'm doing a story on Predators in MMORPGS..you're free to log off POL at any time.

____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#68 Jun 22 2009 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Skeptic wrote:
I'm going to say this, and leave it here, and not comment on SSM anymore in a MMO. There are kids playing this game, man. Introducing them to SSM will not only give them a "WTF?" feeling, but it's just not right to introduce that to kids, especially through means of a GAME.

/end


/sigh

I believe the ToS for XI is the age of 13, and at that point children are already struggling with their own feelings of sexuality. That's just a fact. What's interesting, is that some of those kids will be struggling with feelings of homosexuality as well. Essentially sweeping the issue under the carpet because we are still holding onto some long-ago disproved notion that somehow it's a *catchable/learnable* condition only serves to further alienate those already confused youths.

Your argument would hold water if we were talking about *** (or otherwise) pornography, not unions. If you are so concerned about the effects of unpopular marriages on youths, we shouldn't even allow inter-species marriage, because a Galka marrying a Taru might give kids that "wtf" feeling, right?

I don't want to get into a huge debate over the rights and wrongs because the admins here will lock this thread up faster than you can say "But I'm a Cheerleader", but I will say that I was very, very disappointed when I read this comment.
#69Skeptic, Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 1:05 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) ^^
#70 Jun 22 2009 at 3:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
10,359 posts
Quote:
EGM listed all three games as a group as #8 in their to 10 Gameboy games of all time.


Then EGM is composed of @#%^ing morons?

Most magazines are.

***
Quote:

I'm going to say this, and leave it here, and not comment on SSM anymore in a MMO. There are kids playing this game, man. Introducing them to SSM will not only give them a "WTF?" feeling, but it's just not right to introduce that to kids, especially through means of a GAME.


Almost as much of a moron as you.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 7:54pm by Pensive
____________________________
Please use the multigame forum. We always need new posters

paulsol wrote:
I always picture Pensive as a gently pulsating disembodied brain floating in a tank of liquid nutrients.
#71Skeptic, Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 3:59 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Fail.
#72 Jun 22 2009 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*****
10,359 posts
Weren't you done responding or something? I'm pretty sure you were done responding or something.

The very notion that same *** marriage is something to shield children from is from a world so contradictory and backwards that I can scarcely imagine the logical epicycles that one has to use in order to make a conclusion like that. I'd quite honestly prefer a moralizing bigot that owns his own faults than someone that reduces **** to "i'm not sayin that them gays are icky man, but **** think of the CHILDREN!!" as some sickening appeal to misery riding on the backs of the emotional trauma of children.

Of course square will never allow it, but not for moral reasons; they are a business and they need to avoid controversy at all times in order to make money. It's sad, but hey, that's life until the socialists can bring about some utopic revolution.
____________________________
Please use the multigame forum. We always need new posters

paulsol wrote:
I always picture Pensive as a gently pulsating disembodied brain floating in a tank of liquid nutrients.
#73Skeptic, Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:20 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I was leading more towards this ^^
#74 Jun 22 2009 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Pensive wrote:
Quote:
SaGa

Then EGM is composed of @#%^ing morons?

I wonder what you have against the games? Was it the difficulty that upset you? I mean, let's be honest; most of the RPGs released in America are **** easy, and/or dumbed down and made easier for the American audience.

****, are we even talking about the same games? Those three Gameboy SaGa games were some of the best of that generation's games.

Even the first one was a clear upgrade in quality above Final Fantasy 2, the game Square produced prior to the first SaGa game.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 9:52pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#75 Jun 22 2009 at 5:40 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Quote:
I was leading more towards this ^^

But I didn't have time to sit here and pump my chest up and try to offend someone else on the Forum in the process. So yea, no *** Marriage in MMORPG cause of that. What he said. /end


lolwut. I don't recall you ever bringing up business practices anywhere in your argument. ****, you didn't even have an argument, you just had an unjustified, hateful opinion and you got called out on it. Now, instead of owning what you said you're trying to dismiss it completely. As mentioned earlier, at least holier-than-thou bigots have some sort of 'logic' behind their views and will own them.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#76 Jun 22 2009 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
10,359 posts
Quote:
Even the first one was a clear upgrade in quality above Final Fantasy 2, the game Square produced prior to the first SaGa game.


Quite true. They were still woefully inadequate compared to the first.

Quote:
I wonder what you have against the games? Was it the difficulty that upset you?


I don't have anything against difficulty, though that is a perfectly legitimate criticism of the legends. I was like seven anyway; so it was approximately the same difficulty of every other game. I would say though that difficulty is only a good design choice when it offers a reward.

They're the uncanny valley of rpgs. FF1 and dragonquest were typical and cliche'd enough representations of DnD to where they were just a nice way to kill some time in a fantasy setting with swords and magic. Final Fantasy 4 and above are epic enough in their own rights as legitimate stories and individual universes in which you could emotionally invest yourself. The legends are neither: they're composed of shoddy storytelling, some truly ridiculously convoluted mechanics, unclear motivations and objectives, and yes, needless difficulty.

I don't recall ever dying in that game... but I do recall stopping play simply because the story was non-existent. Maybe it was because of my age, but I didn't have any trouble comprehending final fantasy 6 around the same time.
____________________________
Please use the multigame forum. We always need new posters

paulsol wrote:
I always picture Pensive as a gently pulsating disembodied brain floating in a tank of liquid nutrients.
#77 Jun 22 2009 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Pensive wrote:
Quite true. They were still woefully inadequate compared to the first.

I don't have anything against difficulty, though that is a perfectly legitimate criticism of the legends. I was like seven anyway; so it was approximately the same difficulty of every other game. I would say though that difficulty is only a good design choice when it offers a reward.

They're the uncanny valley of rpgs. FF1 and dragonquest were typical and cliche'd enough representations of DnD to where they were just a nice way to kill some time in a fantasy setting with swords and magic. Final Fantasy 4 and above are epic enough in their own rights as legitimate stories and individual universes in which you could emotionally invest yourself. The legends are neither: they're composed of shoddy storytelling, some truly ridiculously convoluted mechanics, unclear motivations and objectives, and yes, needless difficulty.

I don't recall ever dying in that game... but I do recall stopping play simply because the story was non-existent. Maybe it was because of my age, but I didn't have any trouble comprehending final fantasy 6 around the same time.

I seem to recall the story and the gameplay in the SaGa series being significantly superior to Final Fantasy the first. I may have a jaded memory. Of course, both of them had an almost laughably non-existant story (SaGa 3 had a pretty decent story actually). SaGa holds a note as being the earliest videogame I know of where God was the most evil being in the universe. Gotta love a videogame that's willing to cast God as a being that created the universe and all the people in it, as a plaything to watch kill each other in an attempt to reach a Heaven.

The difficulty is what defined the SaGa games. They were deliberately designed by Square to appeal to the hardcore RPG gaming market (which is virtually nonexistant in America), and Final Fantasy was designed for the casual RPG gaming market. It wasn't about flashy graphics, or a in-depth story. It was about intensely difficult combat.

Sometimes, the difficult gameplay can be a justification for itself.

...

Personally, thinking back to the first SaGa game, some of the subworlds really give me chills to think about. A lot of the sub-worlds were designed to be representations of ****, in various incarnations. One of the sub-worlds was populated entirely by aborted babies, who were stabbed and burned to death, only to be born again, and be killed again over and over.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 10:27pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#78 Jun 22 2009 at 6:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
10,359 posts
Quote:
It was about intensely difficult combat.


I guess, but I don't think it was very well executed.

Lost Odyssey does it well (and the final secret dungeon boss is approximately as hard to kill as absolute virtue). Disgaea (in demon court worlds) does it well. FF4 (psx?, whichever was supposed to be the jp version) did it well. Baldur's Gate (well I'm kind of pushing it here, but you go in unprepared and you're dead) did it okay.

The nice thing about all of those games is that they all have very good, or at least approachable stories. The end of Disgaea almost made me @#%^ing cry, etc. etc.
Quote:

I seem to recall the story and the gameplay in the SaGa series being significantly superior to Final Fantasy the first.


It was. I didn't expect a story in the first though. I was purely engaging in cliche'd fantasy types and living vicariously through the characters.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 10:42pm by Pensive
____________________________
Please use the multigame forum. We always need new posters

paulsol wrote:
I always picture Pensive as a gently pulsating disembodied brain floating in a tank of liquid nutrients.
#79 Jun 22 2009 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Pensive wrote:
Quote:
It was about intensely difficult combat.


I guess, but I don't think it was very well executed.

Lost Odyssey does it well (and the final secret dungeon boss is approximately as hard to kill as absolute virtue). Disgaea (in demon court worlds) does it well. FF4 (psx?, whichever was supposed to be the jp version) did it well. Baldur's Gate (well I'm kind of pushing it here, but you go in unprepared and you're dead) did it okay.

I haven't played Lost Odyssey or Baldur's Gate. I have played Disgaea, and while I'm not sure I'd call it an RPG (More of a Strategy game really), it was a very fun game. But then again, you are comparing games that are several generations apart. Heck, even comparing FF4 to SaGa1 isn't fair; they came two years apart; SaGa1 was the first RPG ever attempted on the Gameboy; the SNES didn't even exist at the time SaGa1 was made, and the Gameboy and SNES capacities are miles apart.

I mean heck, I can go back to the original mario games, and complain about how squirrelly the controls are by today's standards (and they are VERY squirrelly). Back in the day though, they were praised for having absurdly tight controls, the likes of which had never been seen in videogames.

Times change. There was a day when RPGs could get by with little to no plot. There was a time when the gameplay in Final Fantasy was REVOLUTIONARY. There was a time when the plot in Final Fantasy 2 was hailed as the greatest story ever told in a videogame.

It's the evolution of games. *shrug*

Edited, Jun 22nd 2009 10:55pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#80 Jun 22 2009 at 7:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
10,359 posts
I couldn't think of any other rpgs from that time period that were actually hard.

Other genres could show this though. Take gradius and r type. Gradius is infinitely superior to r type in control and manages to get the right -sort- of difficulty, being hard, but rewarding as you tested your reflexes. R-type was just cheap; it was like a bullet **** game without a small hitbox.
____________________________
Please use the multigame forum. We always need new posters

paulsol wrote:
I always picture Pensive as a gently pulsating disembodied brain floating in a tank of liquid nutrients.
#81 Jun 23 2009 at 2:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Pensive wrote:
I couldn't think of any other rpgs from that time period that were actually hard.

Other genres could show this though. Take gradius and r type. Gradius is infinitely superior to r type in control and manages to get the right -sort- of difficulty, being hard, but rewarding as you tested your reflexes. R-type was just cheap; it was like a bullet **** game without a small hitbox.

And we differ again. I have always preferred R-Type to Gradius. *laughs*

Different strokes for different folks.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#82 Jun 24 2009 at 8:31 PM Rating: Default
**
424 posts
Quote:

Yes, because the marriage system in any MMO is so prevalent. Once you get married, your characters walk around town holding hands and making out at every turn. This will traumatize children, a generation that is growing up with "wholesome" games like Gears of War.


I think anybody, no matter what violent video games they may play, would be ultimately traumatized by being introduced to the realities of marriage via video game.

Ban SSM in videogames, not because of the same-*** part, but because of the marriage part.

Can't we all just cyber in private tells? The moment you add in the marriage option we are all screwed.

LMAO

pointless thread count +1
____________________________
Administrator Kaolian:
"Quote it correctly or don't quote it. That's called "how people get banned"..."

Actually it's called "Libel"... and only if it is fabricated, but hey, you are the admin.

AureliusSir the Irrelevant:
"They're on a tangent, but they aren't off topic."
#83 Jun 25 2009 at 2:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Shazaamemt wrote:
I think anybody, no matter what violent video games they may play, would be ultimately traumatized by being introduced to the realities of marriage via video game.

Ban SSM in videogames, not because of the same-*** part, but because of the marriage part.

Can't we all just cyber in private tells? The moment you add in the marriage option we are all screwed.

LMAO

pointless thread count +1

Some people are adults? In some cases married adults? Tis fun to marry your characters together, especially games that gave you small benefits like a spell to teleport to each other every 2 hours, or something of the like.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#84 Jun 25 2009 at 4:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
FF Spirits within was awesome. I dont know why it would be said to be the worst thing ever to wear a FF logo. Amazing film no the less.

Edited, Jun 25th 2009 8:18am by ffxivhaste
#85 Jun 25 2009 at 4:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
FFX-2 is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar thw worst thing to ever sport of FF logo.
#86 Jun 25 2009 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
Quote:
FF Spirits within was awesome. I dont know why it would be said to be the worst thing ever to wear a FF logo. Amazing film no the less.


from a business perspective it was. The film was a huge bomb, losing almost $100 million and delayed the merger between Square and Enix.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#87 Jun 25 2009 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Quote:
Some people are adults? In some cases married adults? Tis fun to marry your characters together, especially games that gave you small benefits like a spell to teleport to each other every 2 hours, or something of the like.


Ok, I'm going to try to keep this as clean and friendly as possible, because I'm not out to start a war. So if I say anything offensive right now, I apologize and it's definitely NOT intended to be hurtful to anyone.

While it may be fun to marry characters together, I don't think promoting it by offering bonuses like teleportation is a good idea. For example, if my friend and I both roll male characters, and then we realize that by getting 'married' in the game we have the ability to teleport to each other, we'd be like... "uh... dude. we're both dudes, bro." Even if we *did* marry them, that could/would be pretty uncomfortable. If I want my character to be a reflection of myself in this fantasy world, I don't want him to be a homosexual (no offense to homosexuals, I'm just not one). So now we're forced to 1) choose one of us to reroll a girl 2) enter into a virtual *** marriage or 3) not be entitled to the marriage bonus. *ALL* of those options suck. Even for guys who play female characters in general (one of my friends always rolls a lady), they don't do it to marry male characters, they do it because it's a choice of style.

In short, if you're going to put in marriage of any kind, don't promote it with bonuses. Let it be purely an option. Maybe the bonus could be the ceremony, but nothing game-changing. Sorry if I offended anyone.
____________________________
Future FFXIV Player
Anguish - 80 Death Knight (Retired)
Vor - 60 Warlock (pre-BC) (Retired)
#88 Jun 25 2009 at 10:45 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
Quote:
Even if we *did* marry them, that could/would be pretty uncomfortable.


lol, well i suppose that'd be your fault. I wonder what Freud would say.... probably something about being insecure in your masculinity or some other rot.

to be honest, when I played FFXI there was nobody I wanted to marry (of either gender). I don't know if there were any benefits from it, and I couldn't care less. That being said, I admired Fable simply because they allowed it as an option. Marriage in an MMO (or any game) is lighthearted at best, and anyone who takes it seriously needs to reconsider their real life.

Besides, i'm sure you would make a wonderful bromo couple.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#89 Jun 25 2009 at 10:58 AM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Even so, wasn't marriage in FFXI a bit pricey, anyway? Played for about 4 years and never even looked into it, haha.
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#90 Jun 25 2009 at 11:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
FFX-2 is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar thw worst thing to ever sport of FF logo.


Actually, you write FF12 as XII, not X-2. I know, Roman numerals are tricky sometimes. X-2 was actually a completely different game.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)