Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Ability to wield 2 different kinds of weapons?Follow

#1 Jun 23 2009 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
As everybody in this forum, I also find myself unable to stop searching for daily news regarding FFXIV nor I can't stop trying to decipher clues about the future gameplay in the official logo. Luckily, I recently found this really big image to make this new hobby easier http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/logo_ffxiv.jpg Thanks to the great quality of the image, I was able to notice a little Taru in the middle of the artwork wielding two weapons. On the right hand, it is almost evident that the creature is holding an axe and possibly a magic stave with the left one. There is a great contrast between those kinds of weapons and was clearly impossible to wield both of them in FFXI.
I wonder if this new installment of the series will let magic-based jobs wield close-combat weapons such as swords and axes complemented with the classical/conventional magic stave or rod. Can you Imagine if it was possible to light up your sword with fire and burn your enemies with a strike? I Think that would be awesome. Hopefully, the devs thought about this idea and will let players fight with a broader choice of commands.
#2 Jun 23 2009 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
"ZOMG IT'S A RED MAGE THAT IS ACTUALLY A MELEE AND A MAGIC USER"

*cough*

That out of the way, interesting observation. But I'm pretty sure it's two axes, the one in his right hand is just turned funny so it resembles a staff. A result of the simplistic art style.

Quote:
Can you Imagine if it was possible to light up your sword with fire and burn your enemies with a strike?

That idea has been used several times in Final Fantasy history. Since I'm busy playing Tactics A2 right now, both the Paravar and the Spellblade class in that game use such a concept. I do distinctly remember magic sword users in other Final Fantasy games (I'm pretty sure there was one in FFV)

Edited, Jun 23rd 2009 4:51pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#3 Jun 23 2009 at 12:49 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
A lot of people have given up on translating what the Logo is all about because it's..just Artwork. I don't see how you could dual wield a 1H Axe and a 2H Pole, anyway.

Unless you have 3 arms, of course.

Oh, and that's two Axes.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2009 4:49pm by Skeptic
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#4 Jun 23 2009 at 12:57 PM Rating: Default
7 posts
Quote:
A lot of people have given up on translating what the Logo is all about because it's..just Artwork. I don't see how you could dual wield a 1H Axe and a 2H Pole, anyway.

Unless you have 3 arms, of course.


Gandalf the Gray perhaps? lol...
#5 Jun 23 2009 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
*
98 posts
One guy looks to be wielding a spear and claw, another looks to have his hands on a gun that looks pretty modern. I think it would be interesting if they allowed dual pistols that are semi automatic as well.

I don't see alot of casters in this picture so my guess would be weapon based combat for everyone including those who cast, just in different ways I suppose. All in all not typical to mainstream FF games where everything was predetermined as soon as you took up a certain role. I think alot more jobs can dual wield this time around and of course there is always the job trait monkey grip to get one of your weapons to be 2h? .. but I digress...

oh and please don't have dual wield like ffxi did it. :D
#6 Jun 23 2009 at 4:36 PM Rating: Default
Next thing I will hear is that races with tails can triple wield.
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#7 Jun 23 2009 at 4:38 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
121 posts
Quote:
A lot of people have given up on translating what the Logo is all about because it's..just Artwork. I don't see how you could dual wield a 1H Axe and a 2H Pole, anyway.

Unless you have 3 arms, of course.


I'm pretty sure you could use the force and make one of the weapons levitate while you hold the other one.

#8 Jun 23 2009 at 4:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
441 posts
triplealphareaction wrote:
Next thing I will hear is that races with tails can triple wield.


rofl, now this would be funny to see.
#9 Jun 23 2009 at 7:46 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:
another looks to have his hands on a gun that looks pretty modern


That was Lara Croft. She's PS3 exclusive.
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#10 Jun 23 2009 at 8:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,082 posts
Skeptic wrote:
A lot of people have given up on translating what the Logo is all about because it's..just Artwork. I don't see how you could dual wield a 1H Axe and a 2H Pole, anyway.

Unless you have 3 arms, of course.

Oh, and that's two Axes.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2009 4:49pm by Skeptic

http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/04292008/4/5/2/c/452c8699b494d0_full.jpg

The most awesome character in Soul Calibur IV. Sucks that Soul Calibur II is still significantly better.

Edited, Jun 24th 2009 12:40am by Seitekifu
____________________________
Pikko wrote:
I'm curious as to what would lead someone to think they're playing FFXI with Elton John?
#11 Jun 23 2009 at 8:54 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,053 posts
napolitano wrote:
As everybody in this forum, I also find myself unable to stop searching for daily news regarding FFXIV nor I can't stop trying to decipher clues about the future gameplay in the official logo. Luckily, I recently found this really big image to make this new hobby easier http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/logo_ffxiv.jpg Thanks to the great quality of the image, I was able to notice a little Taru in the middle of the artwork wielding two weapons. On the right hand, it is almost evident that the creature is holding an axe and possibly a magic stave with the left one. There is a great contrast between those kinds of weapons and was clearly impossible to wield both of them in FFXI.
I wonder if this new installment of the series will let magic-based jobs wield close-combat weapons such as swords and axes complemented with the classical/conventional magic stave or rod. Can you Imagine if it was possible to light up your sword with fire and burn your enemies with a strike? I Think that would be awesome. Hopefully, the devs thought about this idea and will let players fight with a broader choice of commands.


Weapon + Fire = Better
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#12 Jun 23 2009 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
Sure, why not, but only if I can wield a frying pan and waffle iron combo.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#13 Jun 23 2009 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
50 posts
Quote:
Can you Imagine if it was possible to light up your sword with fire and burn your enemies with a strike?

You mean like the spell Enfire which is currently in XI?
____________________________
"Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes
#14 Jun 24 2009 at 3:41 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Quote:
You mean like the spell Enfire which is currently in XI?


Yes, sort of, but better... way better than that and way better than a RDM would do it.
#15 Jun 24 2009 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
131 posts
I personally think it looks like he is holding an Ax and a pickax, but that is just me.
#16 Jun 24 2009 at 9:00 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
232 posts
Why is everbody applying FF11 Rules to FF14? For all we know you could be able to use a "1 Handed" weapon with a "2 Handed" weapons. And before you even Say that realisticly(terrible Spelling) Weilding a Bo staff with a Wakishizi(short katana. think Ninja Weapons) is overcomplicated, I can tell you With 15 years of weapons training that its not very complicated once you get used to it. I actually use the combo to wow judges in Tournaments. Point is That we know very little about FF14 but lets try not to apply FF11 Logic on FF14
____________________________
My Power is my Pleasure and my Pain

85 drg 85 blu 85 nin 75 pld
Rank 10
Fenrir
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)