Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

MountsFollow

#52 Sep 08 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
Eske, Star Breaker wrote:
I, on 2010-08-17 13:11:11 wrote:
If they decide to add permanent mounts into the game, I personally hope that they keep them relatively uniform (i.e. all chocobo's/horses, with different colorings).

Nothing looks sillier to me than a party riding out on a dragon, zebra, mastodon, tiger, and spider at the same time.

You forgot motorcycle.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#53 Sep 08 2010 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Ralrra wrote:
Eske, Star Breaker wrote:
I, on 2010-08-17 13:11:11 wrote:
If they decide to add permanent mounts into the game, I personally hope that they keep them relatively uniform (i.e. all chocobo's/horses, with different colorings).

Nothing looks sillier to me than a party riding out on a dragon, zebra, mastodon, tiger, and spider at the same time.

You forgot motorcycle.


This is what you get when you google "Epic Motorcycle."

Glorious.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#54 Sep 08 2010 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
229 posts
EbenezerSpooge wrote:
Chocobo whistle.

Already implemented in XI.


This^
____________________________

How I mine for fish!? O.o
Solace <<<Hades>>> RIP
Vivik <<<Cerberus>>>


#55 Sep 08 2010 at 1:15 PM Rating: Good
***
1,457 posts


Shut the **** up about world of warcraft already, please. It's not the only game with mounts. You people are so utterly closed-minded. Renting chocobos is old and needs to be done away with. What on earth do you have against people having their own mount to summon, even if it's just a different colored chocobo?
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#56 Sep 08 2010 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Wow, all this talk about a mount system we barely know anything about. Here is what we know for sure, this is all the confirmation I have seen on mounts in FFXIV:

Quote:
Of course, one of the most popular elements of the series are the chocobos. Will there be chocobos at launch? Chocobo racing? Will they be mounts?

Yes, chocobos will be there. It may be further introduced toward a later time, but there will be something. Of course, chocobos are something for you to ride on, but any more than that? Yes, we are planning to introduce that later. Chocobos as mounts will be there.


Source: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010-our-exclusive-interview-with-final-fantasy-xiv-executiv/

It's funny how people bash the motorcycle in WoW so hard for being a motorcycle(you should bash it because it looks like garbage) as a mount in a game. I recall a certain Final Fantasy 7 with a pretty awesome motorcycle riding scene and minigame...
#57 Sep 08 2010 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
*
158 posts
I hope they implement chocobo breeding sometime sooner than 4 years later this time around.
#58 Sep 08 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
I hope they implement chocobo breeding sometime sooner than 4 years later this time around.


+1
I hope they also make it take less time than one month.
#59 Sep 08 2010 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
I think peoples issues are more that it's a fantasy game and motorcycles have no place there. 7 was a sci fi setting, and motorcycles had there place.
#60 Sep 08 2010 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
Kirbster wrote:
Yogtheterrible wrote:
Kirbster wrote:
HAY COOL AND WE CAN ADD THIS PLACE CALLED THE UNDERCITY WHERE ALL THE UNDEAD LIVE AND MAYBE ZEPPLINS



I apologize for the sarcasm but this kind of crap is really getting on my nerves.



And likewise, it gets on my nerves when people totally overreact when someone mentions anything good about WoW and suggests a form of it gets into FFXIV. As far as I know, though, I don't act like an idiot about it when I see someone do it.


That's all well and good, but I HAVE agreed with some good things that FFXIV should adopt from WoW, if they're given a argument other than 'wow has this so FFXIV should have it too,' which, contrary to what some people may think, is not a very good argument.

If the OP had come up with something like a way to create a form of Chocobo breeding that could replace renting chocobos once and for all, and function in some way like mounts like WoW, I would have been all ears. So no, I'm not acting like an idiot, I'm acting like a person fed up with these kinds of crappy threads that basically state nothing useful. So get off your passive-aggressive high horse.


Ya, except they never mentioned a **** thing about WoW. Why aren't you wigging out on him for wanting mounts in XIV because LOTRO has them?

Oh, because YOU see something that's present in WoW and YOU assume that the only reason someone brought it up is because WoW has it.

Knock it off. **** gets old after a few weeks and you guys have been doing it for over a year now.
#61 Sep 08 2010 at 4:27 PM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
Kirbster

All you did was fly off the handle because the OP thought having a mount in the game would be cool.
Whats wrong with that? Nothing at all. YOU need to get off your high horse and stop trying to smack people down for desiring something from the game. A feautre that FFXI even had just in different form.

Just because his idea wasn't the way you envisioned it doesn't make it a bad idea.

Take a chill pill man. Have a discussion not a freaking war.



Edited, Sep 8th 2010 6:29pm by sparkytenks

Edited, Sep 8th 2010 6:30pm by sparkytenks
#62 Sep 08 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
I think peoples issues are more that it's a fantasy game and motorcycles have no place there. 7 was a sci fi setting, and motorcycles had there place.


The entire warcraft series is a blend of modern/futuristic type things and fantasy. Pretty much the same idea as Final Fantasy.
#63 Sep 08 2010 at 6:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
492 posts
lol why is there more WoW players in the beta than ffxi players?

Chocobo's and moogles are to FF as cookies are to milk,

we will have "mounts" ***** i hate that phrase almost as much as "toons") but transport wise we have a new system where you can teleport almost anywhere on the map, there seems to be a camp warp or an outskirts "Draft" not that far from your last location around the beta map, and if someone in your party already has a loction you dont, you can still warp there from their teleport and get it yourself. (sorta like ffxi Outpost warping)

seems to make a "mount" useless IMO,

FF series usually builds up on transport, you start off with something that usually looks like it would break the moment it hit a pothole or a stone, until you reach the "OMG /drool" ride, in ffxi it was considered that an airship pass was the big winner it went in the scale of

Boat Ride - Free but you had a chance of getting attacked by pirates or a NM
chocobo - level 20 quest, 5 hours waiting time and you where granted a licence. limited use depending on rank and level..(chocobo was limited where you could take them too or use em)
airship - the ultimate but drawbacks where missing it, and waiting on the travel time, ( if you missed it and caught the next it was roughly a 20min journey), but you could go afk while traveling from town

Then came TOAU with OMG warpz oh yeah! warp to camp warp to home town then outpost warp, which was alot faster to get to your destination but killed off the airship industry, airship was a last resort unless you where in no big rush.

erm... think i went a bit off topic there.. but yeah there will be a mount of some sort
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#64 Sep 08 2010 at 6:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
771 posts
Quote:
we will have "mounts" ***** i hate that phrase almost as much as "toons") but transport wise we have a new system where you can teleport almost anywhere on the map, there seems to be a camp warp or an outskirts "Draft" not that far from your last location around the beta map, and if someone in your party already has a loction you dont, you can still warp there from their teleport and get it yourself. (sorta like ffxi Outpost warping)

seems to make a "mount" useless IMO,

FF series usually builds up on transport, you start off with something that usually looks like it would break the moment it hit a pothole or a stone, until you reach the "OMG /drool" ride, in ffxi it was considered that an airship pass was the big winner it went in the scale of

Boat Ride - Free but you had a chance of getting attacked by pirates or a NM
chocobo - level 20 quest, 5 hours waiting time and you where granted a licence. limited use depending on rank and level..(chocobo was limited where you could take them too or use em)
airship - the ultimate but drawbacks where missing it, and waiting on the travel time, ( if you missed it and caught the next it was roughly a 20min journey), but you could go afk while traveling from town


I think the Aetherytes and Aetherial Gates will be further spread out in higher level areas, making mounts useful(maybe).

Also the chocobo quest in FFXI took 18 hours when I used to play =\ maybe they changed it IDK.
#65 Sep 08 2010 at 9:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,535 posts
RyderDecree wrote:
we will have "mounts" ***** i hate that phrase almost as much as "toons")


And what, precisely, is wrong with the word "mount"? It's a standard English word for a riding animal. It has been used that way for over 5 CENTURIES.

So what, pray tell, is wrong with it?
#66 Sep 08 2010 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
BastokFL wrote:
RyderDecree wrote:
we will have "mounts" ***** i hate that phrase almost as much as "toons")


And what, precisely, is wrong with the word "mount"? It's a standard English word for a riding animal. It has been used that way for over 5 CENTURIES.

So what, pray tell, is wrong with it?


I'd rate you up five times for that, but the green arrow disappeared after the first one. It can only get so apparent that people are going out of their way to be disagreeable and obtuse.
#67 Sep 09 2010 at 12:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
437 posts
I rated you both up for it =)
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#68 Sep 09 2010 at 3:01 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
492 posts
Quote:
And what, precisely, is wrong with the word "mount"? It's a standard English word for a riding animal. It has been used that way for over 5 CENTURIES.

So what, pray tell, is wrong with it?


Lol there's Absolutly nothing wrong with the word, its just where it now derives from in the MMO world, and to me what it show's where the player base is coming from, i'm not hitting out on any new players to the FF, i'm quite welcoming to the fact that FF is getting "Fresh blood" and people willing to taste the ambrosia that is Final Fantasy, the word mount and toon just makes me cringe relating to WOW, (yes i have played it, my bro still plays it, just was never my cup of tea) it was a personal statement, my own opinion, can't believe people went irate over my own thoughts, i did not nor did i intend to disrespect anyone with saying that lol.

A simple opinion now a days can set off a bomb. hence why it was in brackets, i was thinking aloud.

In the world of FF i have never heard anyone call a chocobo a mount, yes you mount them, but a chocobo has always been the only "mount" in the world of FF, so there was never any reason to name them otherwise.

____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#69 Sep 09 2010 at 3:14 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Would it be nice to have personal mounts in the game, yes. But are they necessary?

Personally I don't think so. FFXIV appears to have quite a few more oportunities when it comes to traveling around the world than FFXI had and to make things even easier characters appears to be much less dependant on other.

Between rented chocobos, airships, seaships, teles, warp 2 and death porting characters were able to get to most places in 30 minutes and to most areas in about 10.

To me this doesnt seem too bad and being able to teleport/return without the need to pay, ask other people for help then it only makes things easier.

Let SE spend their time updating, introducing things that are needed (maybe AH/Retainer mechanics) and leave superfulour things for expansion content like the chocobo whistle was on FFXI.

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 9:15am by Hugus
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#70 Sep 09 2010 at 3:27 AM Rating: Good
To keep up with FF tradition we'll probably see Chocobo travel (I hate using mounts in anything else than WoW, it feels too WoW-ish to use it outside of that game.) and as far as I can tell, they've already implemented that. However since this is only beta they've probably seen no reason to introduce it yet or may be working on that still. Once retail starts and people get strong enough to travel outside the starting realms we'll probably see Chocobo rentals. Hopefully however since there's a much longer way to travel they'll consider omitting the 30 minute riding restrictions found in FFXI. For normal travel it worked, but it became very problematic when you were trying to go from Windurst to San d'Oria or Bastok. Not to mention your ride would just ditch you in the middle of high-aggro surroundings and run away. Nothing like traveling far just to bite the dust thanks to a bird deciding it was tired of you.

As for airships, it could come to pass somewhere along the line. In Phase 3 I was wandering around the starting area from Limsa Lominsa when I found this really tall platform with stairs leading up to a few gates and places to sit. Nothing was out there at the time but I can assume it'll probably be used for air travel to areas much farther out. If I can find the picture again I'll throw it up here.

EDIT: As for breeding, we could see that at retail too or little while after it. Or, for all we know, we could be required to raise a Chocobo instead of just riding them. I think I recall the Chocobo stable NPC in Gridania mentioning how there's more adventurers than Chocobos around which was why they weren't renting them out. In other words, a Chocobo shortage.

And so those who aren't familiar with FFXI understand, raising a Chocobo means you'd be required to feed it, walk it, spend time with it, from egg, to chick, to full grown and ready for riding. That's how it worked in FFXI and I have no doubts that if SE does implement Chocobo raising we're going to see a system similar to this. In WoW and most other "mount" MMOs you were either given a summonable mount or just bought one to summon, don't expect this in FFXIV.

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 2:35am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#71 Sep 09 2010 at 4:49 AM Rating: Excellent
*
163 posts
Hugus wrote:
Would it be nice to have personal mounts in the game, yes. But are they necessary?

Personally I don't think so. FFXIV appears to have quite a few more oportunities when it comes to traveling around the world than FFXI had and to make things even easier characters appears to be much less dependant on other.

Between rented chocobos, airships, seaships, teles, warp 2 and death porting characters were able to get to most places in 30 minutes and to most areas in about 10.

To me this doesnt seem too bad and being able to teleport/return without the need to pay, ask other people for help then it only makes things easier.

Let SE spend their time updating, introducing things that are needed (maybe AH/Retainer mechanics) and leave superfulour things for expansion content like the chocobo whistle was on FFXI.

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 9:15am by Hugus


Don't forget the chocobo drawn floating stagecoach things! ( Ul'dah opening )

I think a lot of people who haven't experienced FFXI and are used to Blizzards way of doing things are going to be in for quite a culture shock when it comes to fanservice. With SE you get what they want when they want implemented how they want. If the community eventually does get what they ask for it won't work how they want it to anyway! Thats how SE roll, get used to it lol.
#72 Sep 09 2010 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
**
437 posts
Quote:
Lol there's Absolutly nothing wrong with the word, its just where it now derives from in the MMO world, and to me what it show's where the player base is coming from,


Quote:
To keep up with FF tradition we'll probably see Chocobo travel (I hate using mounts in anything else than WoW, it feels too WoW-ish to use it outside of that game.) and as far as I can tell, they've already implemented that.


Are you two really THAT ignorant?

Personalized mounts first came out in Everquest 1 in either the Shadows of Luclin or Planes of Power expansion pack. (I forgot which) before WoW came out with them. Guess what they were called in EQ? That's right MOUNTS! I hate WoW too, but you guys are just being ridiculous about it. Seriously, get over it.

Not using a mount in any game because it feels too WoW-ish... man, you really need to let go. WoW was not the fore runner most of it's content. A lot of it is copied INCLUDING it's newer siege stuff which was copied from DAoC/Warhammer.
____________________________
行く河の流れは絶えずしてしかも元の水にあらず。よどみに浮かぶ泡沫はかつ消えかつ結びて久しくとどまりたる例なし世の中にある人と住みかも全くのごとき。 -方丈記
#73 Sep 09 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol there's Absolutly nothing wrong with the word, its just where it now derives from in the MMO world, and to me what it show's where the player base is coming from,


Quote:

Quote:
To keep up with FF tradition we'll probably see Chocobo travel (I hate using mounts in anything else than WoW, it feels too WoW-ish to use it outside of that game.) and as far as I can tell, they've already implemented that.


Are you two really THAT ignorant?

Personalized mounts first came out in Everquest 1 in either the Shadows of Luclin or Planes of Power expansion pack. (I forgot which) before WoW came out with them. Guess what they were called in EQ? That's right MOUNTS! I hate WoW too, but you guys are just being ridiculous about it. Seriously, get over it.

Not using a mount in any game because it feels too WoW-ish... man, you really need to let go. WoW was not the fore runner most of it's content. A lot of it is copied INCLUDING it's newer siege stuff which was copied from DAoC/Warhammer.


You could have been a lot more polite in your point of view but as it is in your rage gaze you misundersttod the point there, the point was the use of the term Mount, not the actual use of them ingame.

As for which game had it first I have no idea but can understand that for most people their first experience with mounts will have been in WoW.

Edited, Sep 9th 2010 1:33pm by Hugus
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#74 Sep 09 2010 at 8:25 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
492 posts
Quote:
Lol there's Absolutly nothing wrong with the word, its just where it now derives from in the MMO world, and to me what it show's where the player base is coming from,


Quote:

To keep up with FF tradition we'll probably see Chocobo travel (I hate using mounts in anything else than WoW, it feels too WoW-ish to use it outside of that game.) and as far as I can tell, they've already implemented that.

Quote:
Are you two really THAT ignorant?

Personalized mounts first came out in Everquest 1 in either the Shadows of Luclin or Planes of Power expansion pack. (I forgot which) before WoW came out with them. Guess what they were called in EQ? That's right MOUNTS! I hate WoW too, but you guys are just being ridiculous about it. Seriously, get over it.

Not using a mount in any game because it feels too WoW-ish... man, you really need to let go. WoW was not the fore runner most of it's content. A lot of it is copied INCLUDING it's newer siege stuff which was copied from DAoC/Warhammer.

how is that ignorant? we're stating our own personal opinion, stop raging when people mention WoW he rightfully said it feels too WoW-ish for him,

So get over it yourself, go Mount something and ride of into the distance


Edited, Sep 9th 2010 10:28am by RyderDecree
____________________________
FFXI : Ryobi & Ryder Asura
FFXIV : Bracken Wood Gridania-Balmung

[ffxivsig]dd56e309af6849f1ae5797cc1681e494[/ffxivsig]
#75 Sep 09 2010 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
RyderDecree wrote:

Personalized mounts first came out in Everquest 1 in either the Shadows of Luclin or Planes of Power expansion pack. (I forgot which) before WoW came out with them. Guess what they were called in EQ? That's right MOUNTS! I hate WoW too, but you guys are just being ridiculous about it. Seriously, get over it.

Not using a mount in any game because it feels too WoW-ish... man, you really need to let go. WoW was not the fore runner most of it's content. A lot of it is copied INCLUDING it's newer siege stuff which was copied from DAoC/Warhammer.

how is that ignorant? we're stating our own personal opinion, stop raging when people mention WoW he rightfully said it feels too WoW-ish for him,

So get over it yourself, go Mount something and ride of into the distance
[/quote]

Feels too WoW-ish because of a word? WoW has swords. Does anyone get uptight when someone talks about a sword skill in XIV? Really? Blizzard didn't coin the term "mount". No MMO developer did. If you equate the word "mount' with WoW because that's the first place you ever heard the term used, I'm sorry. Now you know better. I was doing some reading earlier on and someone made use of the word "the" in a conversation. Immediately I recalled when people used the word "the" in WoW and lost interest in the conversation. It suddenly felt too "WoW-ish."

Ignorant people are ignorant and when their ignorance is the foundation for stupid comments, there's usually a backlash. Rather than getting butthurt and defensive over it, learn from it. Someone just added a functional new word to their vocabulary. Hurray.
#76 Sep 09 2010 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,150 posts
The One and Only Aurelius wrote:
BastokFL wrote:
RyderDecree wrote:
we will have "mounts" ***** i hate that phrase almost as much as "toons")


And what, precisely, is wrong with the word "mount"? It's a standard English word for a riding animal. It has been used that way for over 5 CENTURIES.

So what, pray tell, is wrong with it?


I'd rate you up five times for that, but the green arrow disappeared after the first one. It can only get so apparent that people are going out of their way to be disagreeable and obtuse.

Can I be acute instead?
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#77 Sep 09 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Decent
Ralrra wrote:

Can I be acute instead?


Only if you re-up your premium and put your galka avatar back.
#78 Sep 09 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
123 posts
I have a feeling all this rage is from childhood memories of their daddies mounting them.

Seriously though, WoW is so successful and popular because it has a development staff that interacts with the community, takes suggestions, and blatantly rips off every other good idea any MMO developer has had in the last 15 years. (to be fair i'm sure WoW has implemented some original ideas, but I wouldn't know, I don't play WoW).
____________________________
i5-750 @3.4ghz/4gb DDR-1600/HD5770

Hundah - EQ2:80sk(Befallen) *current
Hunda - FFXI:75pld(fairy->hades) *retired
Measure - EQ2:90trb,90def(Lucan D'Lere) *sold
#79 Sep 09 2010 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
77 posts
Theres nothing wrong with people suggesting things from a popular MMORPG and stating it would be good if FF implemented something similar if not the same. Arnt most people wanting an Auction House? And a proper mailing system, like a mail box in every town? (wow did it)

It all comes back to the South park episode of "Simpsons already did it", displaying something thats been tried, tested and true. Theres nothing wrong with taking something good and using it.

We are all free to display what we want and don't want. Telling someone you're an idiot for wanting something and then stating you don't want something is being a hypocrite.

Back to the topic thou, right now I'm playing the beta, I haven't had the need for a mount. The teleport feature cuts down traveling quite quickly. The only "traveling" you need to really do is walking from one node to the next.
And to be honest I don't even like that. I'ts too easy, too boring and just cheapens the adventure. A mount would be good, or some kind of shuttle to take you from node to node (zeppelin like). Or again like wow, using a hearth stone.

Love it or hate it, World of warcraft is the king of MMORPG's. It works, sure its gotten old and boring, but the system is sound. Nothing wrong with taking a few tips here and there from it to make/help FF14 to be just as good, if not better.
____________________________
Green Arrow if this helps :P
#80 Sep 09 2010 at 10:20 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
196 posts
Different colored chocobos.. that we can customize with clothing... Also breeding it properly also effects its running speed.. God that would be so epic.. GOGOGOGGOG
____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 31 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (31)