Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

South PawFollow

#1 Jun 28 2009 at 4:14 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
I'm probably in the minority here (literally), but I'd like to have the ability to choose which hand my character mains a weapon in. As far as I know, no MMO has done this yet. I guess something about reversing the animations is too daunting a task.

Still, I think it would be pretty cool. Always bothered me that my character was right handed (except when wielding a polearm for some reason).

Anyone else a south paw?
#2 Jun 28 2009 at 6:13 AM Rating: Decent
Isn't there some kind of bad social stigma attached to being left handed in Japanese culture?
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#3 Jun 28 2009 at 6:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
49 posts
I always notice things like this in games, movies ,etc especially from old school platformers. Why is megaman's buster on his other arm now! ARGH inconsistency! I can understand why it is this way though. Doing this would mean doing a flipped version of all the model animations...well most anyways. I don't think you're gonna get this one, although I think it'd be kinda interesting if they did. They're sticking with righties cause it's most common, that's all.
#4 Jun 28 2009 at 6:50 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
372 posts
I think there more important things to come first - but yeah I think adding this option would make it more... real? Not sure what it would make it LOL! To me its not that important but hey, what ever floats your boat :)
#5 Jun 28 2009 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
As realistic as this would make animations, I don't consider it necessary.

Let's focus on getting the game right before we start looking into random stuff like this.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#6 Jun 28 2009 at 7:55 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
Being a lefty, it doesn't bother me much. I think it might add a little extra flavor to the game to see both left and right handed characters, but it would be anything more than a trivial improvement for me.

What was a little annoying is when Nintendo made Link right handed for the Wii because they felt it would make sword swinging less awkward for right handers. Thanks Nintendo, thanks.
#7 Jun 28 2009 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Allegory wrote:
What was a little annoying is when Nintendo made Link right handed for the Wii because they felt it would make sword swinging less awkward for right handers. Thanks Nintendo, thanks.

I see where you're coming from, but my father is also a leftie, and he's played my Wii right-handed before. It doesn't bother him in the slightest.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#8 Jun 28 2009 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
551 posts
Allegory wrote:
What was a little annoying is when Nintendo made Link right handed for the Wii because they felt it would make sword swinging less awkward for right handers. Thanks Nintendo, thanks.

Couldn't you just hold the remote in your left hand and the nunchuck in your right if it were that big of a deal to you?
____________________________
Terragon
Elvaan PUP|SCH|RDM
Siren Server
#9 Jun 28 2009 at 9:18 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,808 posts
Ralrra the Flatulent wrote:
I see where you're coming from, but my father is also a leftie, and he's played my Wii right-handed before. It doesn't bother him in the slightest.

It doesn't hurt my playing at all. It's just annoying that Nintendo decided to change a fundamental aspect of one of their signature characters with the belief that it'd make the game better for right handers while they were perfectly willing to force any sacrifice that might exist onto left handed players.
order wrote:
Couldn't you just hold the remote in your left hand and the nunchuck in your right if it were that big of a deal to you?

That's not my complaint, as I could play the game just fine, but even if that was me problem your solution wouldn't fix anything. With your solution I'd be holding the wiimote in my left hand while the character was wielding his weapon in his right hand. That's exactly the situation Nintendo wanted to avoid; it's the exact reason they made Link right handed in TP.

Edited, Jun 28th 2009 12:23pm by Allegory
#10 Jun 28 2009 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,684 posts
As a left handed person, I have more pressing things to worry about such as developing a way to write without smearing ink/lead on my hand and figuring out how to use scissors >.<

____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#11 Jun 28 2009 at 12:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Bardalicious wrote:
As a left handed person, I have more pressing things to worry about such as developing a way to write without smearing ink/lead on my hand and figuring out how to use scissors >.<



Smiley: lol

Right handed people will never grasp how annoying that is.
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#13 Jun 28 2009 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
Likibiki the Brilliant wrote:
Let's focus on getting the game right before we start looking into random stuff like this.

You say that like it would be hard to implement.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#14 Jun 28 2009 at 5:32 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:
You say that like it would be hard to implement.


I think what was meant was that SE has more important things to worry about than what hand you will be holding your Weapon in.
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#15 Jun 28 2009 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
Monks in FFXI are all southpaws!
____________________________
Can you see what it is yet?
#16 Jun 28 2009 at 8:16 PM Rating: Default
*
89 posts
omg....

care.com ?



<--- lefthand
____________________________
There is nothing either good or bad.
But thinking makes it so.
William Shakespeare
#18 Jun 29 2009 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Skeptic wrote:
Quote:
You say that like it would be hard to implement.


I think what was meant was that SE has more important things to worry about than what hand you will be holding your Weapon in.


Correct Smiley: grin
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#19 Jun 29 2009 at 10:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Mistress of Gardening
Avatar
*****
14,661 posts
You know, I've heard this term a lot while watching UFC, but never knew what it was until this thread. LOL! I thought it was some BJJ term, "sao paw".
#20 Jun 29 2009 at 10:43 AM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:
You know, I've heard this term a lot while watching UFC, but never knew what it was until this thread. LOL! I thought it was some BJJ term, "sao paw".
'

ROFL! There are two styles of combat stance, once is orthodox (Right handed) and South Paw (Left handed).

Sao Paw! Huaaaaa!
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#21 Jun 29 2009 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
209 posts
Left handedness should be an option at character creation. I don't believe it would be hard to code into the game. I hope the community team takes notice of this topic! It may be unimportant right now, but it definitely would be cool to see.
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#22 Jun 29 2009 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Pikko wrote:
You know, I've heard this term a lot while watching UFC, but never knew what it was until this thread. LOL! I thought it was some BJJ term, "sao paw".


Smiley: lolSmiley: lolSmiley: lolSmiley: lol

Women + Sports = Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Likibiki ~ 75 WHM ~ 75 SAM ~ 75 THF ~ 75 SMN ~ 74 NIN
Pandemonium Server, FFXI. Retired. Gone but not forgotten.
Cailey ~ 90 DNC ~ 90 RDM ~ 90 BLM
Asura Server, FFXI. Adventurer Extraordinaire.
#23 Jun 29 2009 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
*
133 posts
You haven't seen Rocky????
#24 Jun 29 2009 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
I'd actually like that, just because.
#25 Jun 29 2009 at 1:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
mithrandrk wrote:
Left handedness should be an option at character creation. I don't believe it would be hard to code into the game. I hope the community team takes notice of this topic! It may be unimportant right now, but it definitely would be cool to see.


It wouldn't even need to be a part of character creation. Just allow people to equip their weapon in the appropriate inventory slot. For example, equipping a sword in the secondary slot instead of the main slot would reverse the animations and cause your character to swing left handed.
#26 Jun 29 2009 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Likibiki the Brilliant wrote:
Women + Sports = Smiley: disappointed


I take exception to this comment! What an unfair generalization! :P

Anyway, although the term was adopted by fighting sports it actually originated in baseball. Fields were built with home plate facing east so that in the afternoon the batters wouldn't be blinded by the sun. Pitchers would face west, and if he was lefthanded, his throwing arm would be south.

And I agree that SE has to get a lot of things right in this game before looking at little stuff like this, but let's remember that they have been working on Rapture for the better part of 5 years now. I think we can dare to dream :p



#27 Jun 29 2009 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
997 posts
Quote:
As a left handed person, I have more pressing things to worry about such as developing a way to write without smearing ink/lead on my hand and figuring out how to use scissors >.<


I've found it helpful to totally ignore the advice right handed people like to give. Advice like "just use your right hand instead," or to write by twisting your whole ******* arm around into awkward, unnatural positions, so that you can pull the pen along, instead of pushing it.

Hey at least they don't beat, scald, freeze, shock, and exorcize us to get rid of the devils causing us to write left handed any longer. That was just in the late 19th and early 20th centuries too, and not way back when people were really nasty and ignorant.
____________________________
Shhh! My common sense is tingling. ~ Deadpool

FFXI Server: Valefor Char: Lowkey


#28 Jun 30 2009 at 3:45 AM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
Quote:
Isn't there some kind of bad social stigma attached to being left handed in Japanese culture?


I'd have thought not, I know there is in Christian culture, but **** write from right to left so that would favour the left handed.

I'm left handed anyway and would love to see it. I know it seems silly and insignificant but it's one of those little touches that really makes characters individual.
#29 Jun 30 2009 at 6:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Allegory wrote:
That's exactly the situation Nintendo wanted to avoid; it's the exact reason they made Link right handed in TP.

As you previously stated, only in the Wii version. Link is still left-handed in the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. In fact, the entire game is reversed.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#30 Jun 30 2009 at 6:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Ralrra the Flatulent wrote:
As you previously stated, only in the Wii version. Link is still left-handed in the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. In fact, the entire game is reversed.

I still hold that the GameCube version is the true version.

My argument mostly comes down to that the map's layout is similar to the Ocarina of Time map on the GameCube Twilight Princess (rotated about 30 degrees), but backwards on Wii. Forest southeast, Death Mountain northeast, Lake Hyrule southwest, Hyrule Castle middle, Desert west.

Twilight Princess is thus a Gamecube game that was ported to the Wii. That's my argument, and I'm sticking with it.

Edited, Jun 30th 2009 10:57am by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#31 Jun 30 2009 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
*
50 posts
Quote:
I still hold that the GameCube version is the true version.


I'd agree, but mainly cos I have the GC version and it's worth a bomb now.
#32 Jun 30 2009 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Anther thought is that they went ahead and made animations for dual wielding. They had to implement that for all characters, so it really wouldn't be a huge leap to pull that animation out and make it stand alone. I mean, I get where some of you are coming from but we aren't talking about a fledgling company in its infancy, we are talking about a company with decades of game-making experience at this point. Let's raise the bar a bit, shall we?

And I don't know about Link, as it was kind of a feud between my sister and I - she was a huge Zelda fan and I stayed with FF - but if a Nintendo game had a lefty main character without the universe collapsing upon itself, I expect that a company like SE could pull it off.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)