Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Weather/ Seasons systemsFollow

#1 Jul 05 2009 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
237 posts
Hi everyone it’s been a long time since I’ve last been on this site or even played FFXI, but with the announcement of FFXIV, I came back to take a peak… and by the looks of it a lot of other people have done the same. Now like most people I’m super excited for the release date, it feels like a million years away. But the one thing that really caught my eye, I read somewhere that they were going to have season’s system in the game i.e. summer, fall, winter, and spring. Now this got my all pumped could you imagine if Qufim had say a spring and summer… what would it be like. It seems though that Square Enix is really trying to make a more believable environment unlike the run of the mill MMORPG. Where a winter area stays like that all the time. Always got me thinking, **** I thought my winters were long where I live. I guess what I was really wondering is what do you guys think of a more in-depth weather system and seasons system, for me it always made the game a little more meaningful.
#2 Jul 05 2009 at 5:42 PM Rating: Good
**
736 posts

I'd love it :)

Though, I don't suppose you remember where you heard that?

#3 Jul 05 2009 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
456 posts
An interview said they will have the 4 seasons in the game (summer, winter, spring, and fall), but it doesn't say what they will do, or go into any details.
#4 Jul 05 2009 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
HocusP wrote:
An interview said they will have the 4 seasons in the game (summer, winter, spring, and fall)


Wow, festivals will actually make sense now.
____________________________
#5 Jul 05 2009 at 9:15 PM Rating: Default
**
424 posts
I love that idea.

Please show us the interview. PLEASE!
____________________________
Administrator Kaolian:
"Quote it correctly or don't quote it. That's called "how people get banned"..."

Actually it's called "Libel"... and only if it is fabricated, but hey, you are the admin.

AureliusSir the Irrelevant:
"They're on a tangent, but they aren't off topic."
#6 Jul 05 2009 at 9:30 PM Rating: Default
**
879 posts
Oh, wouldn't that be great.
Imagine walking through an area, powning monsters, while a tree nearby has just shed its last leaf.
A couple months later, you're crafting, while the city is being bathed with ice and snow.
In the near future, the sun would come up, and you could actually watch the snow melt from the ground.
Then, it would be summer; more teenagers would be playing, so overpop is all I can say about that.
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#7 Jul 05 2009 at 9:44 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Shazaamemt wrote:
I love that idea.

Please show us the interview. PLEASE!


This is the only place I've seen mention of seasons. However, if you compare it to this post from Elmer, which is based off of the same sources, it makes no mention of seasons. If you can read japanese you can get it straight from the source though.
#8 Jul 06 2009 at 12:49 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
372 posts
Wow thats amazing. Can you imagine Gardening now? I mean, now you'll probabaly have to choose a seed or praduce that actually fits with the season.

I'm a budding gardener in FFXI but in FFXIV (assuming its included) having seasons is going to make it even more interesting. Lets not forget the combat and magic. The weather already effects those now...
#9 Jul 06 2009 at 8:46 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
The question is how much real time will go by for all 4 seasons to go by. I mean, I really liked the weather and moon phases in FFXI but those times when you had to wait hours for the right moon phase was pretty annoying. I usually missed the moon phase too since I usually didn't waste my time waiting and just did something else and forgot about the moon phase. The same goes for the days of the week.

Now, can you imagine waiting for a specific day, during a specific moon phase, during a specific season? That would be a nightmare. However, I love the idea of seasons...creates a depth other games don't have.
#10 Jul 06 2009 at 9:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
An interview said they will have the 4 seasons in the game (summer, winter, spring, and fall), but it doesn't say what they will do, or go into any details.


Pikko probably got excited at the gardening possibilities ;)
#11 Jul 06 2009 at 4:48 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
The first time I walked from the top (southern end) of Konschtat Highlands to Valkurm Dunes, I was thinking how amazing it'd be to see in different seasons. Finding out that the seasons were static was a pretty big letdown (especially with all the other weather/time/moon phase stuff that actually mattered in FFXI). While it's not really a game-breaking omission, adding in seasons, seasonal weather patterns, etc. would add a lot of depth to the world, and I'll be ecstatic if it's implemented in FFXIV. Even if it does mean hunting that **** Bendigeit Vran gets one step more frustrating...
#12 Jul 07 2009 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
I would like actual seasons, with leaves changing colors. God imagine what Jugner Forest would look like in the fall?

More so, i think there needs to be a consistent weather system. Developers just make a globe of the world, and put weather patterns on it. Heck, i'm sure there are weather behavior simulations that would do the trick with little cost to purchase the rights to. That way if it rains in la'thain, some parts of valkurn might be raining, and a patch of northern highlands. Likewise if it started to snow in Beauc[tab] there would be a chance to have some of that snow blow over into ranfuare.

Also, please put weather in the main cities/garden zones. You don't have to put elementals in these areas, but unless the city is under a dome or something they should get their fair share of wind/rain/snow. Always wondered what windurst would look like in a hailstorm [since its in a plains area] or what bastok would look like in a thunderstorm, with lightning striking the top of metalworks.

edit: all references to FFXI areas is purely for imagery.

Edited, Jul 7th 2009 4:30pm by Demonye
____________________________
My brother is an Emo-DRK, I am a kind PLD.
Go figure.

Monks do it with their hands.
Scholars do it in the classroom.
Puppetmasters do it with dolls.
Ninjas do it and then disappear.
Thieves do it then run away.
#13 Jul 07 2009 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
39 posts
A season system would be an incredible addition if implemented well. However, I imagine something like a season system would be very time consuming in development. As an example, take any zone in FFXI. Now, create 4 different looking zones for each season. Now, do this for every zone in FFXI where it would make sense for seasons to come into play. That's a lot of man hours and money for just one system of the game. Obviously some areas you could probably get away with not having multiple seasons (desert, jungle, etc.), but players would expect expect every other area to have seasons. I can only hope the dev team is that ambitious. I would love to see it, that's for **** sure.
____________________________
FFXI (Retired)
BRD75 RDM75 BLU75
#14 Jul 07 2009 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
Adding seasons is my wish for any "living world" game, be it GTA, Zelda, or an MMO. I feel it would just add so much.

One thing I really disliked in FFXI was that certain weather could only happen in certain areas, I'd like it to rain or snow in the cities some times.
#15 Jul 07 2009 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
HokieTre wrote:
A season system would be an incredible addition if implemented well. However, I imagine something like a season system would be very time consuming in development. As an example, take any zone in FFXI. Now, create 4 different looking zones for each season. Now, do this for every zone in FFXI where it would make sense for seasons to come into play. That's a lot of man hours and money for just one system of the game.


Keep in mind the game has been in development for ~5 years though, so it's not entirely out of the question.
____________________________
#16 Jul 08 2009 at 4:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
39 posts
akirussan wrote:
Keep in mind the game has been in development for ~5 years though, so it's not entirely out of the question.


Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for heh.
____________________________
FFXI (Retired)
BRD75 RDM75 BLU75
#17 Jul 08 2009 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
I doubt that a season system would correspond to the actual season outside of your window.

Typically in MMOS, an in game "day" takes much less than a day of real world time. Following a real world day/night cycle and calender means that most of your user based is playing when it's "night" in game, and the weather is terrible, which is not exactly a great way to make your game world fun, or allow your players to escape from reality.

So in terms of "festivals making sense" that's pretty unlikely. Either they will be tied to the in game calendar, in which case they will be short and not really correspond to any real world holiday, or they will tie into the real world calendar, and possibly not make much sense in game.

A more logical approach might be to have some events that correspond to real world holidays, but make them not "holidays" in game. Every New Year (IRL), the Great Comet appears in the sky overhead, signaling the start of a new era. Every 4th of July a trade caravan arrives from the far east, carrying exotic goods and fireworks, and so on.

Then, in game there would also be holidays, but they wouldn't be the full blown events that exist right now. Maybe they would just be the ideal time to craft certain items or complete certain quests. Maybe certain rare goods would only be available at those times, or certain items would only recharge then, etc.

Edited, Jul 8th 2009 1:30pm by KarlHungis
#18 Jul 08 2009 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
I don't want the seasons to be real time, and with holidays if they want they could simply make that season be permanent until the holiday was over or they could make the season last longer in the game's cycle. I guess you could look at as an extra that things in the game that normally only occur in that season would have a much greater chance in the holidays.

Realistically though, I think they'll probably just ignore changing anything for the holidays.
#19 Jul 08 2009 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
28 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
I doubt that a season system would correspond to the actual season outside of your window.


In a worldwide game this would be impossible anyway, since players in the southern hemisphere would be experiencing summer while it's winter in the northern hemisphere and vice versa.

Unless the game world ALSO had northern and southern hemispheres that behaved the way Earth's do. That'd be wild. Even more so if in game regions had weather that corresponded to weather in the world. Like, if it's raining in Tokyo, then it's also raining in Windurst. Actually, now that I think about it, this would be pretty awesome, but maybe impractical to implement.
#20 Jul 08 2009 at 12:56 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Other MMOs have done seasons that came out years ago. I really don't see why it couldn't be done in XIV.
#21 Jul 09 2009 at 2:29 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
372 posts
I think the only way they would impliment the whole seasons thing would be to give the game its own calender and of course each season would up the chances of certain weather effects. Soemthing a little like this.

X amount of game days for Winter - 80% Chance of Snow/Frost. 20% Chance of Gray Skies
X amount of game days for Spring - 40% Chance of Rain. 40% Chance Cloud. 20% Clear Skies
X amount of game days for Summer - 80% Hot Weather. 20% Clear Skies.
X amount of game days for Autum - 50% Chance Rain. 40% Grey Skies. 10% Snow/Frost

Very rough idea, but its how I imagine it being.
#22 Jul 09 2009 at 2:54 AM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
XI has seasons, some of us just don't realize it. Anybody who has camped noble mold seriously knows only to camp during the rainy reason though. :p
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#23 Jul 09 2009 at 4:21 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
akelah wrote:
I think the only way they would impliment the whole seasons thing would be to give the game its own calender and of course each season would up the chances of certain weather effects. Soemthing a little like this.

X amount of game days for Winter - 80% Chance of Snow/Frost. 20% Chance of Gray Skies
X amount of game days for Spring - 40% Chance of Rain. 40% Chance Cloud. 20% Clear Skies
X amount of game days for Summer - 80% Hot Weather. 20% Clear Skies.
X amount of game days for Autum - 50% Chance Rain. 40% Grey Skies. 10% Snow/Frost

Very rough idea, but its how I imagine it being.

I'd assume that the weather would be something more typical to various places in Japan.

Don't forget that Japan is a very long country, with a wide variety of seasonal differentiation from the north end to the south end.

If implimented, I'm sure different zones would have different rates of weather occurances. As well as variatiosn in weather.

Drizzle.
Light rain.
Medium rain.
Heavy rain.
OMG IT'S A HURRCANE rain.
DEAR GOD WHEN DID WE MOVE INTO THE AMAZON RAINFOREST rain.

Ditto for the other types of weather besides rain as well.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)