Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Aion SchmaionFollow

#1 Jul 05 2009 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
162 posts
So many people are speculating over Aion's supposed greatness but let us not forget another potential competitor in the MMO world. Star Wars The Old Republic, anyone who played KOTOR 1 and/or 2 knows what I am talking about. These were some seriously deep games as far as story and character growth and based on info, gameplay screens and videos SWTOR looks amazing and it is going to impliment a similar light/dark side growth method but far deeper than previous titles. Every decision made, every main person/npc killed will alter your path of good and evil and the "factions" opinion of you being friend or foe. I'm a FF fanboy but also a SW fanboy and personally I am keeping close watch on the development of both MMO's to see what I join next.

Played FFXI on and off since 03, recently came back but it still feels a little stale and repetitive.

Played WoW for a little over a year and can level to 80 and do endgame in my sleep, definately a stale game.

Playing XIV or SWTOR in 2010 but which? Time will tell.
____________________________
Name: Aremethius (R.I.P.)
Race: Elvaan M
Server: Fenrir
LS: HeartsofIce (leader)
Trutle
Jobs:75THF 75SAM 75PLD
#2 Jul 05 2009 at 6:34 PM Rating: Default
*****
11,576 posts
I'm not sure why you would come to the FFXIV boards to talk about the Star Wars MMO, but whatever...

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a game built heavily around faction-based play (which you could reasonably consider the light/dark side thing to be faction based). I know that some people will be totally into it, and that's awesome. Just...ya...FFXIV boards and all...

:P
#3 Jul 05 2009 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
I'm leaning more heavily towards FFXIV just because KOTOR does not fit as an MMO at all, in my opinion
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#4 Jul 05 2009 at 8:34 PM Rating: Default
**
424 posts
I think we all have to admit that lightsabers are pretty **** cool tho.

I might try it out... you know, a freaking lightsaber.

If the storyline is good it might make me play past level 2...
____________________________
Administrator Kaolian:
"Quote it correctly or don't quote it. That's called "how people get banned"..."

Actually it's called "Libel"... and only if it is fabricated, but hey, you are the admin.

AureliusSir the Irrelevant:
"They're on a tangent, but they aren't off topic."
#5 Jul 06 2009 at 8:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
162 posts
Well Aurelius, I just saw the amount of Aion posts on here and just felt if upcomming mmo's were being mentioned to be "looked out for" SWTOR shouldnt be left out.
____________________________
Name: Aremethius (R.I.P.)
Race: Elvaan M
Server: Fenrir
LS: HeartsofIce (leader)
Trutle
Jobs:75THF 75SAM 75PLD
#6 Jul 06 2009 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
They advertise new & innovative features like a storyline, GROUNDBREAKING COMBAT, & companions. All of which have been done in MMORPGs before. Star Wars fans will probably love it, but it looks like another generic western MMO to me.

/Not interested in your Star Wars.
#7 Jul 06 2009 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
They advertise new & innovative features like a storyline, GROUNDBREAKING COMBAT, & companions.


Yay, let's overhype our game with promises we can't possibly keep!

And storyline is a new & innovative feature in MMO's... mmmmk.


Oh wait, companions? NPC's that fight alongside you? Gotta go tell my adventuring fellow about this innovative feature asap!



Edited, Jul 6th 2009 8:10pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#8 Jul 06 2009 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
**
852 posts
Jobangles wrote:
GROUNDBREAKING COMBAT

They have Geomancer?

/em ducks...
____________________________
[ffxisig]49934[/ffxisig]

SMN 90 | BLM 90 | WHM 83
twitter.com/nupinu
It rubs the fewell on its skin or else it gets the thwack again.

Thydonon wrote:
SMN is just epic in it's scope. You gain fame in all cities to have their avatars. When others finish ToAU, they get toys; you get gods.
#9 Jul 06 2009 at 1:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Pfft, you know what would be obscenely HUGE?

A Pokemon MMO.

You groan, but it would be insanely successful.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#10 Jul 06 2009 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
43 posts
I agree with you 100% Kachi! I've been saying that for years! It just doesn't make any sense to me as to why nothing like it has been tried.
#11 Jul 06 2009 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
I'd seriously play a pokemon MMO, catch some mudkips.
#12 Jul 06 2009 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
131 posts
AureliusSir wrote:
I'm not sure why you would come to the FFXIV boards to talk about the Star Wars MMO, but whatever...

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a game built heavily around faction-based play (which you could reasonably consider the light/dark side thing to be faction based). I know that some people will be totally into it, and that's awesome. Just...ya...FFXIV boards and all...

:P

Funny you saying that since you created a topic about WoW :P I kid I kid... but seriously O.o.

If Star Wars has a low monthly fee like $10 I will probably play both because I am a sucker for both Star Wars and Final Fantasy.
#13 Jul 06 2009 at 3:02 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Kachi wrote:
Pfft, you know what would be obscenely HUGE?

A Pokemon MMO.

You groan, but it would be insanely successful.


I always thought the pokemon idea was brilliant but wasted on being marketed solely to children. If they made an MMO directed more for a slightly older audience...and lost the name (as much as I like the idea I don't think I could live with myself if I played a MMO called Pokemon Online) I can see it going places.
#14 Jul 06 2009 at 3:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
65 posts
people hipe game up so much that the game themself fail.
and i can say the same for SWTOR and for FFXIV
but don't get me wrong i expect big things from both

one other thing that ****** me off is some of the new mmo say they are the 1st one to be story driven or some other jazz along those lines, when other game have done it before. and alot of people just eat it up like the word of god
#15 Jul 06 2009 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
162 posts
Pokemon MMO? just tell me where to foward my paychecks to cause ill be playing that.
____________________________
Name: Aremethius (R.I.P.)
Race: Elvaan M
Server: Fenrir
LS: HeartsofIce (leader)
Trutle
Jobs:75THF 75SAM 75PLD
#16 Jul 06 2009 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
lacesus wrote:
people hipe game up so much that the game themself fail.
and i can say the same for SWTOR and for FFXIV
but don't get me wrong i expect big things from both

one other thing that ****** me off is some of the new mmo say they are the 1st one to be story driven or some other jazz along those lines, when other game have done it before. and alot of people just eat it up like the word of god


If you read more into SWTOR you would understand why they say that. Each class will have a completely different storyline and every piece of dialogue will be voice acted. As such each class is basically a separate game. It may not be the first to accredit themselves as a story driven MMO but if it lives up to what they say they might do it better than any other MMO ever created.
#17 Jul 06 2009 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
Well I'm definitely going to XIV, but I might try out the Star Trek online game. It interests me.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#18 Jul 06 2009 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
Voice acting =/= doing it better.
#19 Jul 06 2009 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
162 posts
Doggy Style =/= doing it better
____________________________
Name: Aremethius (R.I.P.)
Race: Elvaan M
Server: Fenrir
LS: HeartsofIce (leader)
Trutle
Jobs:75THF 75SAM 75PLD
#20 Jul 06 2009 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Jobangles wrote:
Voice acting =/= doing it better.


Well, if it's a crappy story then yeah but if you had a choice between two equally good storylines, one was voice acted and the other you had to read you would most likely choose the one that is voice acted. I would. Plus I didn't just say voice acting, I said storyline for each class as well. But storyline is really just one component for me and even though I know more about SWTOR I have some high hopes for FFXIV.
#21 Jul 06 2009 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
I'm at a loss.
What's the point of this thread?
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#22 Jul 06 2009 at 8:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
391 posts
Obviously to bash Aion and hype up the new Star wars game.. On a FFXIV forum. Gotta love the gaming forum community eh?
#23 Jul 06 2009 at 8:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
Yeah, totally. They aren't in need of special care, now are they?
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#24 Jul 07 2009 at 12:48 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
If you read more into SWTOR you would understand why they say that. Each class will have a completely different storyline and every piece of dialogue will be voice acted. As such each class is basically a separate game. It may not be the first to accredit themselves as a story driven MMO but if it lives up to what they say they might do it better than any other MMO ever created.


Like... AF quests?

Sounds like they're just making the already invented systems bigger and better... innovashun indeed.

Although voice acting sounds cool. I hope XIV will have it too!

EDIT: What's funny is that these guys probably think that they're first to do these things, and actually thought it out themselves rather than look further than 2 feet away and see that zomg, this failure of an MMO FFXI (sarcasm detected) has these cool features! Maybe we can implement them in our MMO, too!

Edited, Jul 7th 2009 8:50am by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#25 Jul 07 2009 at 1:31 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
EDIT: What's funny is that these guys probably think that they're first to do these things

Almost certainly not.

I'm don't fully understand why, but people seem to react differently to MMORPG marketing than for most other products, even most other games. For some reason, people seem to forget they're being advertised to. For this reason MMORPGs seem to be incredibly territory for hyping customers up about a product. I've fallen prey to it before, but on my behalf I learned after one game, and no one I know who seriously plays MMORPGs hasn't fallen for it before. I remember Barkingturtle, who is a veteran and rather cynical poster, praising Vanguard before its release. It was quite clearly a terrible game. It's so easy to be taken in.

The dev blogs you're reading, the player journals posted on the official site, the beta previews, all of that is about advertising. The marketing team decided that the devs should write a blog, a dev writes a blog entry, and then it goes back to marketing to review it before publishing on the site. You're not reading entirely honest dev blog entries, player journals, or beta previews. They've been cherry picked, pruned, and polished for the show.
#26 Jul 07 2009 at 2:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
633 posts
I am going to come off as generalizing and even possible ethnocentric, but lets be honest, Aion is a Korean Based MMO rehash-grind-fest which is dipping heavily into traits from WoW, solely based on monetary interests in place of actual innovation.

The latest screenshots are nothing to Tweet about and to be honest it looks like WoW with a more Abstract approach in terms of it's art direction.

Nothing to see here as far as I am concerned.


I also heard that the game will now be based on Microtransactions. Wooohooo! Nothing better than spending 100 hours of work so that someone with $10USD can outdo it with the swipe of their mom's American Express Blue card. What a rush!
____________________________
"BSTito, ergo erat..." (I BST, therefore I was.) -Rennne Decarrtee, Mithran Philosopher
#27 Jul 07 2009 at 4:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
Quote:
Well, if it's a crappy story then yeah but if you had a choice between two equally good storylines, one was voice acted and the other you had to read you would most likely choose the one that is voice acted. I would. Plus I didn't just say voice acting, I said storyline for each class as well. But storyline is really just one component for me and even though I know more about SWTOR I have some high hopes for FFXIV.


I usually change the language or mute it in RPGs, the voice acting is almost always horrible. And like someone already said, a story for each class isn't new. It's a game for Star Wars fans, have fun with it if that's your thing.

Quote:
I also heard that the game will now be based on Microtransactions. Wooohooo! Nothing better than spending 100 hours of work so that someone with $10USD can outdo it with the swipe of their mom's American Express Blue card. What a rush!


It's not, just an average $15 a month MMO.
#28 Jul 07 2009 at 8:01 AM Rating: Decent
**
391 posts
Quote:
I also heard that the game will now be based on Microtransactions. Wooohooo! Nothing better than spending 100 hours of work so that someone with $10USD can outdo it with the swipe of their mom's American Express Blue card. What a rush!


And where did you hear that? The game has been out for over around 6-7 months in Korea, about 2 months in China, and there have been no news whatsoever about microtransactions. Why would the NA version come with it when microtransactions are more popular in the East than they are over here in the West?

People need to quit spewing crap out of their mouths. While I agree there's nothing new about Aion and it's a decent game at best. It's pathetic that people have to belittle something just to make something else sound better.

Quote:
Like... AF quests?


Don't forget the actual quests to obtain advance jobs in FFXI. Some of them had nice stories as well.
#29 Jul 07 2009 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Yogtheterrible wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Pfft, you know what would be obscenely HUGE?

A Pokemon MMO.

You groan, but it would be insanely successful.

I always thought the pokemon idea was brilliant but wasted on being marketed solely to children. If they made an MMO directed more for a slightly older audience...and lost the name (as much as I like the idea I don't think I could live with myself if I played a MMO called Pokemon Online) I can see it going places.

I sometimes wonder what Pokemon would have become if it wasn't for the children's Anime.

The entire game altered radically from it's original conception, where Team Rocket was literally a mafia,... perhaps even closer to terrorists. They take control of an entire city by military force, and monopolize the usage of weapons (in a world where technology apparently never invented guns). Not to mention Pokemon originally communicated in grunts and tweets like normal animals...

Now it's a bunch of 5 year olds running around screaming "Pika pika!" complete with incompitent villians.

...

What's really interesting is looking at the Pokemon Special manga, which can best be described as the Pokemon universe if taken to include death, murder, and the real harsh violence and danger of what was going on.

The strange part about that manga? The creator of Pokemon says that was closest to his original vision for the game.

...

I wonder if the creator of Pokemon feels an icky thing in the pit of his stomach, when he thinks about what the franchise has become? It's obvious they no longer put in the effort into the francise as they once did, in an outlit.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#30 Jul 07 2009 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I actually have some Pokemon manga that I pulled out of storage the other day (in the middle of moving) and as I recall they were quite different and quite good. I'm hanging on to them. I can imagine that Pokemon would have been great had it been more adult-themed. ****, I even watched the first season or so before every episode was exactly like the last. Actually I found like the first 30 VHS for Pokemon in storage as well. I'll be getting rid of those.

And uh... also have those Burger King Pokemon toys, the first release. All of them but Squirtle. And all of the second release (those lame plastic card things). I'll be getting rid of those as well.

And I have about 10,000 Pokemon cards. My entire family used to play them and I've been dragging around this giant storage tub of them for years now. I'll be getting rid of those as well.

This thread is now about people who want to buy all of my old Pokemon paraphernalia.

No, PM me for that. This thread is now about a Pokemon MMO.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#31 Jul 07 2009 at 1:02 PM Rating: Decent
*
151 posts
It's either ff14 or champions online for me. I mean massive customization and not just your appearance but where you powers shot from and what color you powers are, etc. Plus the travel powers look awesome, can't wait to make a spider man like character swinging around or maybe a flying shooting robot.
Still the story of ff14 will probably be what pulls me in.
#32 Jul 07 2009 at 8:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
349 posts
SW:TOR isn't coming soon. The release data we have on it is "within the decade" thats a pretty large margin I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on this title.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#33 Jul 07 2009 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
I've never been much of a Star Wars fan. One of my main interests in FFXIV is that its playable on a console, along with being part of the FF series.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)