I'd been thinking about this myself, after a few people seemed to like the idea of gear mannequins in the moghouse in my inventory thread I started to think what else could be done to improve the bland architecture of the moghouse. I reckon it's a good idea, personally I'd like to see the player's moghouse become larger, featuring multiple rooms and the ability to expand it.
The main question some people would ask is simply, Why? What is the significance of it? Well, my answer would be that it would create a far more impressive sense of belonging in the game world, your character is no longer a random roaming avatar with no real home, the more they put into the moghouse the more he becomes an adventurer with a base of operations. FFXI touched on this with the moghouse, which for the time was an excellent idea, I liked the addition of furniture and crafts/skills being linked to how you fung shui the place. But it could be so much more improved in FFXIV.
I especially like the idea of a group hall - it would be excellent to have your own customizeable area exclusive to your linkshell members. Here's my ideas anyway -
- Moghouse still exists as an instance when you enter residential area like in FFXI, however is much larger, initially featuring say, 3 rooms (living room, bedroom, kitchen - the essentials, er, assuming we don't need to go to the bathroom any time soon lol).
- Moghouse is expandable, through either quests, gil or some other combination of achievements - as you do different things so you qualify for extensions for the moghouse - eg levelling your cooking craft higher would expand the size of your kitchen area, gaining ranks or fame would increase the size of your living rooms. I like ToorimaHades' idea of craft-oriented rooms, or even just a workshop. maybe they could provide a boost to skill while working in them on that particular craft, much like craft support did in FFXI
- Layout control. Meaning you can adjust the layout of rooms, nothing too complex, just maybe a grid system over a couple of floors where you can say which rooms attach to others. That would make every moghouse truly individual.
- Themes/Wallpapers. In addition to furniture have the option to change the theme of a room's walls ceiling and floor from a selection of colour schemes.
- Keep the furniture idea of course, but make loads available and have a decent selection of low level stuff so newbies can make the place feel like home straight away.
- Of course, the ability to invite friends into your house so they can check out your pad, where they can have a nice drink and discuss the conversation piece that is your epeen lol. Well, admittedly that's the main reason but it'd certainly add a nice level of immersion into the game and roleplaying aspects.
- Moving onto the group house (I'm not saying guild because some muppet will scream wow-clone and the whole topic will degenerate into idiocy. Yes I mean you, don't even think about it :P), I'd say have a big banquet hall you can all get together in, but make it available only to linkshells who get together and pay for it, not only that, make it reasonably expensive so that only shells who are serious about it buy one. Have a similar system for available upgrades (larger hall, balcony, bar (you know you want one), that kind of thing. Any other furniture could be based on donations by characters and their placement could be managed by admins assigned by the linkshell leader. you could also have something like a trophy area where the guild's overall achievements could be viewed in a physical form.
So yeah er, lots of ideas there. Anyone like any of this or should I have suppressed my imagination and spent the last half hour actually doing the work I'm payed for?