Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

More 3-D-ism!Follow

#1 Jul 11 2009 at 2:42 AM Rating: Default
**
340 posts
The one thing FFXIV should have is characters that can interact with mobs and the environment more and not be just stuck walking and running on a 2-d plane and occasionally falling.

The teaser movie looks promising but I want to be able to jump, glide, swim, dive, and roll :P And many other things humans can do whenever they want to.
#2 Jul 11 2009 at 4:43 AM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
jump, dive, glide, and whatever have nothing to do with 3-d-ism.

apart from that, jumping etc has been already discussed thorougly in other threads....

apart from that, i dont like the idea at all, because you will have happy retarded kids jumping on peoples heads or houses or anything for no reason, like in WoW.

____________________________
There is nothing either good or bad.
But thinking makes it so.
William Shakespeare
#3 Jul 11 2009 at 4:51 AM Rating: Default
**
340 posts
My thoughts are not kiddy like moves. I'd like to see super hero like moves, jumping 20 feet. or 10 feet high, over a mob to get behind it.

Even if it is just for some classes like monk and ninja, I think these jobs should be more super hero-ish and engrossing.

I think it would just add a flare to the game that would make you feel powerful without having to have the numbers of damage in the game from top of the line gear.

Edited, Jul 11th 2009 8:53am by Eanna
#4 Jul 11 2009 at 4:54 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
We at Square-Enix proudly present you the new Massive Multiplayer Online Action game...

Final Crash Fantasy Bandicoot 14.

Edited, Jul 11th 2009 12:54pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Jul 11 2009 at 5:07 AM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
Quote:
We at Square-Enix proudly present you the new Massive Multiplayer Online Action game...

Final Crash Fantasy Bandicoot 14.


haha Epic win.


And Eanna, your ideas are just plain impossible, espcially in MMORG's. Just adding the ability to jump does not give the output you are stating there. Also, i also would like to be able to jump for some reasons, but i know that kids will "miss-use" it as in wow. Thatswhy i hope they don't add it in this game.

and by the way, i think they have some really nice weaponskills in FFXI which really what kind of job you are. A ninja has these swift and fast attacks, but a warrior has a way different way of weapon skills. Maybe they can make a weapon skill which allows you to jump over a monster and stab it in the back, just for you, aenna :)
____________________________
There is nothing either good or bad.
But thinking makes it so.
William Shakespeare
#6 Jul 11 2009 at 7:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
469 posts
Why? What is this big necessity for jumping? Yeah, people can jump in real life, but who cares? There's no need for it in an MMO. Spells and attacks are not movement based. You select a target, and you cast a spell. Hitting it or not is not based on your positioning.

Now, if they were to implement a system where you needed to aim your own spells, I might say yes to the jumping. However, I don't think developers have advanced to the point where they would think that is acceptable. And plus, this is final fantasy. Complete auto-targeting is almost a given. So they don't need jumping.
#7 Jul 11 2009 at 8:05 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,813 posts
Akkio wrote:
jumping etc has been already discussed thorougly in other threads....

Think of how much fun we could have discussing it all over again!
AntiMe wrote:
Why? What is this big necessity for jumping? Yeah, people can jump in real life, but who cares? There's no need for it in an MMO.

I take it back; I take it back!
#8 Jul 11 2009 at 8:23 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Please...the jumping discussion is stupid enough just for one thread, don't create two.
#9 Jul 11 2009 at 8:30 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,684 posts
Eanna wrote:
My thoughts are not kiddy like moves. I'd like to see super hero like moves, jumping 20 feet. or 10 feet high, over a mob to get behind it.

I can see it now, a server of spaztastic bunny-jumping all over the place like a horde of herculean, human pogo sticks. No thanks.

Eanna wrote:
Even if it is just for some classes like monk and ninja, I think these jobs should be more super hero-ish and engrossing.

Giving such abilities to only certain classes would be unbelievably unfair

Eanna wrote:
I think it would just add a flare to the game that would make you feel powerful without having to have the numbers of damage in the game from top of the line gear.

NEEDS MOAR FLAIR



____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#10 Jul 11 2009 at 11:37 AM Rating: Good
**
340 posts
I like how all the ideas get shot down. Everyone seems to wants FFXIV to be just a rehash of FFXI.
#11 Jul 11 2009 at 11:40 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Or an RPG, not a platformer.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#12 Jul 11 2009 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
54 posts
Quote:
The teaser movie looks promising but I want to be able to jump, glide, swim, dive, and roll :P And many other things humans can do whenever they want to.


I would very much like to meet these humans you speak of who can glide whenever they want to. XD

Jokes aside, I understand what you are trying to communicate. Although I think it would be a very bad idea adding a jump "button", it would be pretty cool to see more variety in WS animations, as Akkio mentioned. Perhaps having an agile job jump over the mob before performing their WS from behind, or a Ninja-type job disappearing behind a cloud of smoke before attacking.

Variety in WS and Ability animations would be a welcome change, and would make combat more enjoyable.
____________________________
Xaral-Ifrit Server
#13 Jul 11 2009 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
469 posts
Quote:
Jokes aside, I understand what you are trying to communicate. Although I think it would be a very bad idea adding a jump "button", it would be pretty cool to see more variety in WS animations, as Akkio mentioned. Perhaps having an agile job jump over the mob before performing their WS from behind, or a Ninja-type job disappearing behind a cloud of smoke before attacking.

This is the type of idea I can get behind.
#14 Jul 11 2009 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Eanna wrote:
I like how all the ideas get shot down. Everyone seems to wants FFXIV to be just a rehash of FFXI.

They didn't get shot down, people pointed out flaws in the suggestion. Please don't take any of the comments personally, but honestly, can you yourself not see how being able to "Jump 20 feet in the air like a superhero" might be seen as a bit cheesy? Also, I wasn't aware that FFXI was defined by its lack of jumping and rolling around. Keeping this one aspect similar between the two would hardly make FFXIV a rehash of FFXI as it plays a minimal role in gameplay mechanics.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#15 Jul 11 2009 at 6:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Bardalicious wrote:
Eanna wrote:
I like how all the ideas get shot down. Everyone seems to wants FFXIV to be just a rehash of FFXI.

They didn't get shot down, people pointed out flaws in the suggestion. Please don't take any of the comments personally, but honestly, can you yourself not see how being able to "Jump 20 feet in the air like a superhero" might be seen as a bit cheesy? Also, I wasn't aware that FFXI was defined by its lack of jumping and rolling around. Keeping this one aspect similar between the two would hardly make FFXIV a rehash of FFXI as it plays a minimal role in gameplay mechanics.


Ya, 'cause there's no precedent in the FF universe for jumping to obscene heights *cough* dragoon *cough*.

Wait wut?

Edit (to elaborate instead of just being silly): I think it would be kind of fun if FFXIV had a DRG job/archetype with the Jump/High Jump/etc. abilities for your camera to actually follow the DRG through the entire jump instead of just a launch animation followed by nothing followed by a landing animation. I'd develop the skills just to goof around with the jump ;D

Edited, Jul 11th 2009 7:25pm by AureliusSir
#16 Jul 11 2009 at 6:09 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,733 posts
Best reason for a Jump Button: Not getting stuck on ******* STAIRS.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Jul 11 2009 at 7:02 PM Rating: Good
******
22,699 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Best reason for a Jump Button: Not getting stuck on @#%^ing STAIRS.


Huzzah! Time to bump the thread! Smiley: lol
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#18 Jul 12 2009 at 12:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
349 posts
I still don't get what the hatred for jumping is. I mean the whole argument agaisnt it is that it annoys some people.. well so what? "because it annoys me" isn't a valid reason to take out a feature thats pretty standard in most mmos nowadays, and one that can help hurdle enviromental obstacles.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#19 Jul 12 2009 at 12:29 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I still don't get what the hatred for jumping is. I mean the whole argument agaisnt it is that it annoys some people.. well so what? "because it annoys me" isn't a valid reason to take out a feature thats pretty standard in most mmos nowadays, and one that can help hurdle enviromental obstacles.


There's a multipage thread about it, might go want to read it (but don't bump it).
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#20 Jul 12 2009 at 12:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
349 posts
I read it and I said the same thing there when it was being argued there. The reasons agaisnt it boiled down to "its too much like wow" and "bunny hopping annoys me"

Edited, Jul 12th 2009 4:43am by mezlabor
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#21 Jul 12 2009 at 12:49 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Are you sure you want to ask the same thing here then? This thread will soon be 10 pages of the same sh*t...
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#22 Jul 12 2009 at 1:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
So because its standard in most MMORPGs (i think not...), SE should just do the same ?

but @#%^ it. i dont even know why im looking in this thread anymore. Im most certain SE will not add jumping in FFXIV.

Edited, Jul 12th 2009 5:18am by Akkio
____________________________
There is nothing either good or bad.
But thinking makes it so.
William Shakespeare
#23 Jul 12 2009 at 3:28 AM Rating: Good
**
517 posts
Uhg... WtF guys/gals... He/she? made a few points.
Quote:
jump, glide, swim, dive, and roll

You ignored everything except 'Jump', bashed it, then many posts about how you don't want to hear about it....
Well i'm hoping my post get's read and not just skipped though,

Jump - maybee if it had some kind of cool down time, cause yes you can jump in real life. But if you walk down the street you will not see people doing the bunny hop.

Glide - ... GTFO.

Swim - <yes please> Sure your armour might get wet and ruined, but we don't think about that...Same thing goes when your in the rain in FFXI, why complain about that now?

Dive - ... Into the water?

Roll - just won't work in FFXIV, same as jump, too many people doing it 'cause they can' But also unless you are able to run away and dodge attacks, there is no need for this.


So there, this wasn't a post about just jump. So let's all add to the other movements... we will forget 'glide' was ever mentioned.
____________________________
Name: Toorima
Main Job: THF
Server: Hades
Linkshell: NoIdea
Guild job: Alchemy
#24 Jul 12 2009 at 3:59 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,813 posts
mezlabor wrote:
The reasons against it boiled down to "its too much like wow" and "bunny hopping annoys me"

Yes, those were the only reasons, and they are both silly. Now can we end the discussion of jumping?
#25 Jul 12 2009 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
469 posts
Quote:
So there, this wasn't a post about just jump. So let's all add to the other movements... we will forget 'glide' was ever mentioned.

We only mention jump because it is the most fundamental, and there is the best argument for it. If you don't need jump, you don't need the rest, and you don't need to jump.
#26 Jul 12 2009 at 9:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
49 posts
Argh, here we go again. Anyways:


Jump - I won't miss it if it's not there but sure. No cool down either. No, I do not hop around in public IRL, but I don't sprint on foot 80 miles to the next nation either. Annoys you? Don't play...or....CRY SOME MORE (ala heavy weapons guy from TF2)

Glide - On what? Those rapture tech demo hot air balloons? Sure. On my own...no. There should be a reason to need those airships after all.

Swim - I'll take it. Yeah swimming in plate armor is more silly than the underwater fight scenes in the poem Beowulf but whatever. If I can't swim how about a boat? One that I can drive preferably.

Dive - Underwater? Bah. Keep it surface level. Those mechanics are just too much too bother with.

Roll - No. Just because it isn't gonna happen. I think we're all aware of that.

One thing that I enjoyed in FFXI that sometimes is over looked is the walk button. I liked to occasionally walk around the AH leisurely. I hope it returns too. Seems like a pointless feature, but meh why not. (Yes I understand it is an entire new set of animations)

Look I'm not ignorant of game design here. These kinda features have already been decided. The game world is designed around what is and is not in reach to the player. If they're in now, they're in to stay. If they aren't, then you'll never get them. I mean RIGHT NOW! The build they're running now is undergoing testing as we type! After testing and tweaking it's hitting the market. This means that most if not all in game areas are finished! That means these are either in or out! Look all the protest, petitions, kicking, screaming, holding of breath, slander, crying, dying, and egging of dev team members houses for or against these features won't change a thing. Stop the Q~Qing!


Edit: typos



Edited, Jul 13th 2009 8:06am by waveren
#27 Jul 12 2009 at 3:40 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I may get flamed for this, but isn't jumping typically a big part of many fancy combat moves in the FF series? Don't just put in jumping, but put it in so it's an integral part of certain combat abilities that requires a bit of timing. For example, maybe a warrior or especially a dragoon, might have skills that only work while in the air. So maybe they will need to manually leap into the air and come down on an enemy with their weapon. I think that would be very cool. Advent Children (Yes, I DID go there!) also comes to mind in terms of flashy aerial combat.

Also, I think having the ability to dive under water and actually have underwater battles is not too far out there either. A Geomancer could do fun things with that (granted I realize there won't be classes in the traditional sense, but assuming there might be an environment dependant ability in there somewhere). Take FF5 for example. In one instance, you go under water and have to find and..."defeat" (lol @ that fight) GoGo before the timer expires and you drown.

I suppose i'm trying to say that there are many appropriate ways to implement these features in an FF game :)
#28 Jul 12 2009 at 9:23 PM Rating: Default
**
264 posts
Jumping 20 feet high?...... I suppose you would like to have a power-up sequence where your hair glows golden and goes all super spikey as well? Or maybe some bright and flashy spandex with a real swell emblem in the chest? ***** it, lets just give everybody lightsabers and photon torpedos! And we can call it Marvel Dragon Wars Fantasy Trek!!!
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)