Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Other MMO's have it, do we need it also?Follow

#1 Jul 16 2009 at 8:54 AM Rating: Good
43 posts
Ok before I begin I want to make it 100% cystal clear that this is not a thread to promote other MMO's or anything negative like that.... and I am asking nicely that if you post in this thread that you DO NOT make it a WOW is amazing, or a lets make FFXIV a WOW clone post.

My question to you all is pretty simple, considering FFXI is pretty old now and the tech and creativity/innovation has moved on quite a way since FFXI's release, is there anything you have seen implemented in other MMO's that you really want to see in FFXIV that FFXI didn't have or have an equivilent of?

Secondly do you have any ideas or expectations of things that could/should be added to this new FF online game that are not included in any other MMO's that would improve FFXIV, if you having troubles thinking of things use FFXI as a base of what FFXIV will be like and go from there :)

I look forward to hearing all your ideas

#2 Jul 16 2009 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
777 posts
Ability to be Minimized.

*glare at FFXI*

Edited, Jul 16th 2009 1:15pm by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#3 Jul 16 2009 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts
I know it might seem silly, but I liked the minigame stints the final fantasy series had going for a while. Golden Saucer, Chocobo Racing, Triple Triad, Chocobo hot and Cold, Blitzball, Sphere Break and of course, Tetra Master.

There's just something about a world having a means to entertain themselves that really makes it seem like a living and breathing society. Pretty much anything that perpetuates this illusion is a good idea in my book.

If they were to implement something like this, I think it would be better served to keep it segregated from gameplay, but not separated from gameplay. There was nothing more frustrating in Kingdom Hearts than the struggle and strive to reach a treasure chest only to be "rewarded" with a gummi ship part. While this never got so bad as to be a hinderance, it was an awful tease, because SE integrated the minigame too closely with the coregame. In contrast, the relationship between XI and Tetra Master suffered for it's separation. Tetra Master could have been implemented in such a way that helped to alleviate the much maligned jeuno thumb twiddling. But because the game was optional, inaccessible, and lacking even a moderate reward this golden opportunity was missed.

It needs to implemented in such a way that it's easily accessible and moderately rewarding, but not in a way that interferes with midgame/endgame. Like say, winning a card game against a Vendor NPC allows you to buy their wares for cheaper that day (ala' Bioshock's Vending Machine Hacking). Or a flying casino has a host of gil-related games of chance for you to play (Golden Saucer + FFVI). Or perhaps you could race your chocobos to win expendable items such as Hi-Potions (FFVII). I'm just throwing things out there, there's a million ways you structure this fun fluff.



Edited, Jul 16th 2009 2:09pm by Zemzelette
#4 Jul 16 2009 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
I know it might seem silly, but I liked the minigame stints the final fantasy series had going for a while. Golden Saucer, Chocobo Racing, Triple Triad, Chocobo hot and Cold, Blitzball, Sphere Break and of course, Tetra Master.

There's just something about a world having a means to entertain themselves that really makes it seem like a living and breathing society. Pretty much anything that perpetuates this illusion is a good idea in my book.

If they were to implement something like this, I think it would be better served to keep it segregated from gameplay, but not separated from gameplay. There was nothing more frustrating in Kingdom Hearts than the struggle and strive to reach a treasure chest only to be "rewarded" with a gummi ship part. While this never got so bad as to be a hinderance, it was an awful tease, because SE integrated the minigame too closely with the coregame. In contrast, the relationship between XI and Tetra Master suffered for it's separation. Tetra Master could have been implemented in such a way that helped to alleviate the much maligned jeuno thumb twiddling. But because the game was optional, inaccessible, and lacking even a moderate reward this golden opportunity was missed.

It needs to implemented in such a way that it's easily accessible and moderately rewarding, but not in a way that interferes with midgame/endgame. Like say, winning a card game against a Vendor NPC allows you to buy their wares for cheaper that day (ala' Bioshock's Vending Machine Hacking). Or a flying casino has a host of gil-related games of chance for you to play (Golden Saucer + FFVI). Or perhaps you could race your chocobos to win expendable items such as Hi-Potions (FFVII). I'm just throwing things out there, there's a million ways you structure this fun fluff.


Not to mention that a minigame, if implemented correctly, could provide an excellent gilsink to siphon excess money out of the system.

-edit-
oh dear, that quote business was a bit off.


Edited, Jul 16th 2009 2:43pm by Bardalicious
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#5 Jul 16 2009 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
*
169 posts
There are a ton of things I'd like to see implemented in FFXIV from other sources:

- Continuous world (no zone lines in open-world areas)
- True global LS/Party chat*
- Better storage options (no mules)
- Movable/scalable UI elements
- Multiple chat boxes/tabs
- Offline macro editor (assuming we have FFXI-style macros)
- Regional servers**

*- What I mean is no missing messages when changing areas. Relatedly, I'd be perfectly happy with just "members only" global chat channels. Save on some of the "Barrens chat" bull**** that way.
**- Probably a pipe dream, but I think the inability to effectively communicate with your teammates (the translator is not effective) is one of FFXI's biggest problems. Introducing regional or language-based servers would help a lot.

===

There are a lot of things I'd like to see be carried over from FFXI, though. FFXI does a ton of things right, and I'd hate to see them change just to fit the current trend: Complex weather/time of day mechanics, aggro mechanics, stat interaction, uncluttered/clean UI... I could probably go on for quite a while. I guess I want the depth and complexity of FFXI with the ease-of-use of a modern MMO.
#6 Jul 16 2009 at 11:38 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
209 posts
Expand on Linkshells as a guild.

When I was playing FFXI many many years ago, the Linkshell was pretty much just a group of people who joined together to chat and party. Sometimes not even. I knew people who jumped from LS to LS frequently and I never was in, or knew someone who was in, an LS that actually did things together on a regular basis.

I would like to see in game events where you have to do them with someone from your Linkshell.

For example, the MMORPG Perfect World has Territory Wars. Now I know that PvP in FFXIV is unlikely, and probably not going to happen at launch, but in Territory Wars your guild had to work together to fight off monsters in a territory on the map (or another guild if that guild owns the territory). It was great because guilds were much more than just social.
When you own a territory your guild gets a total of 10 million gold a week (for a Tier 3 Territory), you can attack nearby territories, and whenever someone enters your territory it will display on their screen that your guild owns it.

Also, some suggest (although I haven't seen a difference) that when you kill enemies on your territory you can a 10% experience boost!

I loved this because it deeply integrated being in a guild into gameplay. You HAD to cooperate with your guild mates and go into battle together.

I would LOVE to see FFXIV integrate Linkshells more into the mechanics of the game. Make being in a guild more interesting.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#7 Jul 17 2009 at 5:26 AM Rating: Excellent
2 posts
Quote:
I know it might seem silly, but I liked the minigame stints the final fantasy series had going for a while. Golden Saucer, Chocobo Racing, Triple Triad, Chocobo hot and Cold, Blitzball, Sphere Break and of course, Tetra Master.


This is actually a great idea. It almost seems like an obvious idea but I hadn't thought of it. I actually still fire up FFX occasionally just to play Blitzball. I quit FFXI a couple of years ago so I haven't really seen their equivalent to Chocobo Racing, but I can see something like that really taking off. Blitzball and racing would be a blast to play with friends.. not to mention keeping casuals busy and adding a little bit of lasting appeal.
#8 Jul 17 2009 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
***
1,064 posts
I kind of always wished tetra master was a part of FFXI. I loved that card game, and there are so many things they could do with it.
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#9 Jul 17 2009 at 9:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Two things I'd like to see:

-Racial traits

-more than one job with native dual wield, or the ability to learn it
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#10 Jul 17 2009 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
**
296 posts
[quote=CapnCrass]
- Regional servers**


**- Probably a pipe dream, but I think the inability to effectively communicate with your teammates (the translator is not effective) is one of FFXI's biggest problems. Introducing regional or language-based servers would help a lot.

They've already confirmed the servers will not be regional, though I understand the frustration.
#11 Jul 17 2009 at 1:09 PM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
Turn-taking online battling, instead of live action like FFXI had :-D.
It would be something that ****** make FFXIV different than other MMORPG's, right?
____________________________
Spiderpalm, level 32 Undead Warlock of the server Lightbringer.
#12 Jul 17 2009 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
Quote:
Ability to be Minimized.

*glare at FFXI*

This.
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#13 Jul 17 2009 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
**
773 posts
Mail boxes, in front auction house and residences. No arbitrary limit about how much can be mailed or having to wait for recipients to pick up items.
____________________________
"We apologize for the inconvenience"
- SE Cruciatus Curse




#14 Jul 17 2009 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
*
59 posts
Basically I'd like to see more community and LS options.

LS/Guild Levels

In Atalantica you can combine 2-8 LS/Guilds to form a nation, that would be a nice addition. (Makes it easier to find help with quests anyways.)

Global Chat would be nice to.

PS: I hope they fix PK before release also so it's not like it was in CN where everyone had to zone or die because someone would zone 20 Crawlers and they would all crawl back and own everyone in site. Ahhh... those were the days.
____________________________
Character:Lunchboks 75 RDM Galka (Retired)
Server:Carbuncle
Linkshell:Yooooo
(Courage)(Do you need it?)(Danger)(Can I have it?)(Adventure)(Yes Please.)
#15 Jul 17 2009 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
224 posts
lunchboks wrote:
PS: I hope they fix PK before release also so it's not like it was in CN where everyone had to zone or die because someone would zone 20 Crawlers and they would all crawl back and own everyone in site. Ahhh... those were the days.


hahaha, as much as I hated it at the time, looking back on those days, I have very fond memories of those situations, and the excitement of trying to survive it lol. Though I don't really think I would want it in FFXIV either.
____________________________
75 blm, 75 nin, 75 brd, 64 bst, 57 pld, 53 rdm
NPC 65
RotZ= Complete
CoP= 8.1
Retired from FFXI.
Retired from LOTRO
Retired from Rift
#16 Jul 17 2009 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
5 posts
Things I would like to see:
Public Quests from WAR - This would fit in completely with the Final Fantasy atmosphere of teamwork. These were also very fun a rewarding. Ex. Defend a city from an invading beastman army and the player who wins a roll based on contribution gets the leader's staff.

A Complex Economy similar to EVE - EVE is really the only game where a character can really define their selves by trading and investing. The complex economy with many different markets helped create a very dynamic and ever changing economy.

An Interesting Combat System similar to AoC - I'm not saying exactly like AoC, it was far to twitch based, and a bit overinvolved. I would like to see a system where your actions could combine to make greater effects. Similar to the skillchain system but expanded. Example: BLM casts a blizzard spell and then a melee character does a powerful move that shatters the frozen creature causing extra damage.

#17 Jul 17 2009 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
**
437 posts
Quote:
Ability to be Minimized.

*glare at FFXI*


This and I think they should bring back the days of the monster returning back to their place once someone has zoned. It made you stay on your feet and gave the game another element of danger.

Edited, Jul 17th 2009 8:23pm by Ruam
#18 Jul 20 2009 at 11:49 AM Rating: Default
**
498 posts
Ruam wrote:
This and I think they should bring back the days of the monster returning back to their place once someone has zoned. It made you stay on your feet and gave the game another element of danger.


I have to say I'd agree.... annoying, but i had a lot of fun albeit challenging moments brought on by trains.

Call me crazy, but I would like to see race-specifc/sized equipment. For example, when a crafter made a lizard jerkin, the crafter would choose not only which race to make it for, but which size (s,m,l). A small taru could wear a large taru jerkin, but it would appear baggy and akward on him/her. A Large galka could wear a small galka's outfit, but it would in-turn appear tight. This would add a fun, sort of comical aspect to equiping your character. It would also add several economic venues to work in. Instead of "the hauby business" being only one venue, it now splits into 15 different sub-sets that can be individually targeted.
____________________________
FFXI:(retired)
Forgottenn: Elvaan, Server: Leviathan 75pld, 62war and many others....

WoW: (retired)
Envii: Blood elf 80 Priest, Server: Coilfang
#19 Jul 20 2009 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
ForgottenOne wrote:

Call me crazy, but I would like to see race-specifc/sized equipment. For example, when a crafter made a lizard jerkin, the crafter would choose not only which race to make it for, but which size (s,m,l). A small taru could wear a large taru jerkin, but it would appear baggy and akward on him/her. A Large galka could wear a small galka's outfit, but it would in-turn appear tight. This would add a fun, sort of comical aspect to equiping your character. It would also add several economic venues to work in. Instead of "the hauby business" being only one venue, it now splits into 15 different sub-sets that can be individually targeted.

If you want comical, go play ToonTown. The last thing SE needs to do is try to cheese up the game with lulz.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#20 Jul 20 2009 at 2:52 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
I always thought it would have been awesome to have tetra master integrated in XI. It would add something to do while waiting for party members to get to you or just the in between times that happen a lot when getting groups of people together.
Also if they made it robust and deep enough when someone gets burnt out they might have to option to play tetra master as like a sport type thing that could take place in the game.
#21 Jul 20 2009 at 10:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
165 posts
I am against the idea of regional servers.

As such, I would very much appreciate a Japanese IME available on ALL consoles.

Please and thank you.
____________________________
DRK59|BST56|SAM41
#22 Jul 21 2009 at 3:19 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,188 posts
Ludis wrote:
Things I would like to see:
Public Quests from WAR - This would fit in completely with the Final Fantasy atmosphere of teamwork. These were also very fun a rewarding. Ex. Defend a city from an invading beastman army and the player who wins a roll based on contribution gets the leader's staff.

A Complex Economy similar to EVE - EVE is really the only game where a character can really define their selves by trading and investing. The complex economy with many different markets helped create a very dynamic and ever changing economy.


Public Quests - Couldn't agree more! To be honest, the moment I saw how they worked in WAR, I had a feeling they were going to be a staple of MMOs. It was an amazing idea, and I see no reason NOT to do it.

As far as an EVE level economy goes, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, a player run economy can be really great. On the other hand, the hands off approach that was needed to allow such an economy to thrive also allowed some of the greatest stories of in game fraud I've heard of (seriously, just google EVE scams if you don't know what I'm talking about). So, while I like the idea of a fully player run economy, I also like the security of player run scams being accountable to an actual in game authority. To be honest, I truly doubt SE would allow such a level of economic freedom, though, since they won't allow such things as casinos in FFXI due to the spam and risk of fraud such things are associated with. Besides, EVE was built with such a style in mind. I have trouble envisioning a fantasy MMO with the same freedoms, simply because everyone needs the high end items. In EVE, "end game" gear (so to speak...) is more associated with economic status, while in a fantasy MMO, EVERYONE needs all there spells and atleast a decent set of gear.
____________________________
Behold the power of procrasti
#23 Jul 22 2009 at 1:18 AM Rating: Good
7 posts
Wowarmory.com, Aionarmory.com, Conanarmory.com.....
I'd like to see a FINAL FANTASY ARMORY!

Oh wait there is one.
http://www.finalfantasyarmory.com/
#24 Jul 22 2009 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Deim wrote:
Wowarmory.com, Aionarmory.com, Conanarmory.com.....
I'd like to see a FINAL FANTASY ARMORY!

Oh wait there is one.
http://www.finalfantasyarmory.com/

Shameless self-promotion GO! Smiley: dubious
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#25 Jul 22 2009 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Tetra master would be a pretty awesome addition. I hope that they flesh out the non-combat side of the role playing experience as much as the combat side.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#26 Jul 22 2009 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,017 posts
a new chocobo racing... similar to mario kart!!! We control the chocobos, there will be items we can collect on the track to boost our speed or to mess up someone else. I would play that all day.
____________________________
-Character Name: Djinnrb (old)
-Server: CaitSith
-Jobs:BLU75 BRD75 THF67 PLD 44 DRG 44 DNC39 NIN37
----------------------------------
-Character Name: Lightpalm
-Asura
-Jobs: WAR54 WHM53 RNG35 SAM70 RUN70
----------------------------------


http://ffxiv.zam.com/wiki/FFXIV_Leveling_Guide

Mithsavvy wrote:
Everything Square Enix does puts out a vibe that says, "I was programmed by someone who read C++ for Dummies after obtaining my degree in MIS"
#27 Jul 22 2009 at 2:25 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Quote:
Shameless self-promotion GO! Smiley: dubious


Mua ha ha ha!
#28 Jul 22 2009 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
keymapping

easily identified quest givers

speedier travel

better character customization
#29 Jul 23 2009 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
1. Jumping, swimming, climbing, interacting with set pieces. Even being able to sit down at a bench or table with a group of friends adds a little flavor to just running around and killing things.
2. No level capped missions, instances, dungeons etc. (If the purists and elitists want a level cap on such things, then let there be a hard mode option with better loot for the added trouble.
3. Something not really from any mmo out there (that I know of) but I've always thought would be cool to see in an mmo are the battle flairs in Super Mario Rpg where you hit a button at a certain point during your attacks, boosting the damage done, adding extra hits, etc. Would add a little more interactivity to fights but I don't know how something like that could be implemented efficiently.
____________________________
<(`*m*`)> Retired from XI: 75 Rng, 75 Sam
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)