Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Skillchains - Visuals & DamageFollow

#1 Aug 10 2009 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
82 posts
What are some of the changes you are hoping to see regarding special effects and/or additional damage modifiers? Personally, I think seeing much more dynamic visuals varying on the amount of damage dealt would be incredible. Or even better, visual effects that are dependant on the environment/enemy. For example, a lighting spell/weapon that had an improved visual effect if your were fighting a water based MOB along with the increased damage. It would be much more intersting than a number quickly flashing on the screen.

Secondly, I hope skillchains continue and develop even further in the new game. It was always fun being in a party that continually chained kills. Likely this will change with the rumors regarding smaller parties, but it's still a good option for teamwork. Share your thoughts!
#2 Aug 10 2009 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
209 posts
Kennedus wrote:
I hope skillchains continue and develop even further in the new game. It was always fun being in a party that continually chained kills. Likely this will change with the rumors regarding smaller parties, but it's still a good option for teamwork. Share your thoughts!


I thought that skillchains were one of the most interesting parts of FFXI. I enjoyed learning what to use and when and carefully planning the execution of a spell.

I made battles a lot less "point and click and wait till enemy dies". While some were defnitely like that, being in a party that chained skills really made it a lot better.

I hope we see skill chains make a comeback and improve.

I would definitely like to see better visuals like Kennedus described, especially environment/enemy.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#3 Aug 10 2009 at 6:19 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
When you break it down, skillchains are just timed group attacks. There are certainly a lot of possibilities for this type of game element that have yet to be explored. Abilities could be combined, there could be special unison attacks... there are really too many possibilities to list, but that allows for a lot of potentially cool things.

Skillchaining in FFXI was a nice feature that was unfortunately left for dead by SE. I'm hopeful that they'll take things to the next level in XIV, but you know, never all that optimistic.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#4 Aug 10 2009 at 8:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
82 posts
Personally I enjoyed the challenge of skills chains. Quite often if opened up a dialogue with others players and helped to develop an understanding of your class. Leveling a DRK in the early days was rewarding, and many players had no idea who/what to chain together. It was challenging, but seemed to pull together the party more often than not. I'm definately hoping it plays a larger factor in XIV.
#5 Aug 10 2009 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
Thinking back it seems to me that skill chains were actually implemented very well. What I mean is that they were useful but they weren't completely overpowered to were that was what everyone did in parties and if you couldn't do it you had no chance of success. You had the option, sure it was definitely a plus but it wasn't need 100% of the time.
#6 Aug 10 2009 at 9:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
Quote:
Personally I enjoyed the challenge of skills chains. Quite often if opened up a dialogue with others players and helped to develop an understanding of your class. Leveling a DRK in the early days was rewarding, and many players had no idea who/what to chain together. It was challenging, but seemed to pull together the party more often than not. I'm definately hoping it plays a larger factor in XIV.


That is why I loved FFXI so much, and it seemed the last year or two that has disappeared.
____________________________
FFXI~RDM75-Blu60-Blm37~Retired
#7 Aug 10 2009 at 9:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Thinking back it seems to me that skill chains were actually implemented very well. What I mean is that they were useful but they weren't completely overpowered to were that was what everyone did in parties and if you couldn't do it you had no chance of success. You had the option, sure it was definitely a plus but it wasn't need 100% of the time.


Nowadays they're very limited in even being useful, and really they haven't been very useful in a lot of situations that people traditionally used them in either. They always needed to be a little stronger, but these days they need to be much stronger. Magic bursting is a bit more balanced, but just skillchaining has always been too weak.

And the only excuse for not being able to do it is simply not having a good one to choose from. There's nothing challenging about it. If you can count to three, you can skillchain.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#8 Aug 10 2009 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
I don't really care much about the graphic for skill chains, but if a similar system is implemented in FFXIV--and I hope it is--then I would like the system itself to be more dynamic. The problem I had with skill chains is that there wasn't much thought required outside of of designing the chain for your session. A group might spend 5 minutes talking about the skill chain and 5 hours repeating it over and over.

I don't think Lotro got it exactly right, but I do like the way that game approached the issue. In Lotro, parties could initiate an event similar to a skill chain. Party members would choose an option--damage, dot, hp, or mana--and based on the order and combination could execute a variety of effects.

Whatever might be implemented, I also believe it needs to be intuitive. I shouldn't need a printed chart sitting next to my computer.
#9 Aug 10 2009 at 9:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Amen to that. I never want to see another skillchain chart or facsimile there of for as long as I live.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#10 Aug 11 2009 at 4:38 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Well we dont know if skillchains are even going in FF14 im sure some things will feel the same but i dont think sqaure are going to make a carbon copy of the game. That would be alittle pointless, that makes it FF11 with better grapics.

To be fair Id rather see something new over skillchains and anything else thats put into FF11. I love the game but I dont see the point of making a new MMO if there going to just copy the same thing.

I understand people like the systems in FF11 but alot of it is either to complex or is such a round about way of doing it. I hope they scrape linkpearls and linkshells and have another system, same with aurgmenting and crafting and so on.

But visual wise I hope sqaure go ott and make the attacks awesome.
#11 Aug 11 2009 at 7:03 AM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Allegory wrote:
I don't think Lotro got it exactly right, but I do like the way that game approached the issue.


The main issue I had with Fellowship Maneuvers was everyone being "frozen" once they made their selection. If the FM contribution would have been a single attack animation, after which your character could continue to do their job, it'd have worked much better.
#12 Aug 11 2009 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
82 posts
All very good points. I agree that as of late Skillchains are underpowered. I would hope the goal in XIV is to better reward players that utilize the team much better. If a well balanced group is working together, than a MOB should drop quickly.
#13 Aug 11 2009 at 5:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
I always saw skillchains as borrowing combo attacks in the SaGa series (Frontier and up). Of course, the whole weapon skill system is a nod to SaGa anyway. There's so much appeal to having a library of flashy weapon techniques that go beyond "Attack", and using a timing system so multiple players can string them together is that much cooler.

While it's hard to say if we'll get the same system (just with different moves), I'm sure we'll see something similar: a list of different techniques, each which has a different effect, exclusive to each weapon category, with more added on as your skills increase. Not sure if a "spark" system like SaGa has would work so well, but that would be a bonus IMO. Expanding it to allow combos with magic, instead of just magic bursts, would be even better. I'd think with the greater emphasis on weapons in FFXIV, we'd see more emphasis on weapon skills too.
#14 Aug 11 2009 at 6:29 PM Rating: Decent
**
817 posts
not like i'm against all this, but thinking how SE said we'll have to fight "multiples" enemies...

if melees don't have the same target it would be pointless, i can't see the interest of pt vs x mobs if only one is fought at time(and i can't see sleepga because that too would defeat the point of multiple foes)

it would work on boss of course, but i'm not sure that would be important enough to make sc a big part of the gameplay
#15 Aug 11 2009 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
98 posts
Easy to counter, the system will be different so supporting a multi target fight will be easier. Easier to attack multiple enemies and switch targets quickly to change the fight in your favor.
#16 Aug 12 2009 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
209 posts
DarkBiBi wrote:
not like i'm against all this, but thinking how SE said we'll have to fight "multiples" enemies...

if melees don't have the same target it would be pointless, i can't see the interest of pt vs x mobs if only one is fought at time(and i can't see sleepga because that too would defeat the point of multiple foes)

it would work on boss of course, but i'm not sure that would be important enough to make sc a big part of the gameplay


AoE skill chains?

If we're having multiple enemies swarm at us, like in the trailer, it looks like keeping them at bay is a group effort.

I wouldn't be surprised if more of our skills are AoE instead of the majority of them being single target.

More AoE skills would make sense if we're being swarmed by enemies from all sides.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#17 Aug 12 2009 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
82 posts
Area of Effect skillschains is a great idea. I would love to see that make it in game!
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)