Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Jump function?Follow

#1 Aug 12 2009 at 12:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
I hope we will be able to jump in FFXIV, seems that alot of MMO's has that to day. I think it gives more life to the character, insted off just be pinned down to the ground. There is so many places in FFXI I wish I could jump :D

So would you like that to, or don't you care?
#2 Aug 12 2009 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
I agree, but I would wager gratuitous amounts of money that there will be no jump in FFXIV.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#3 Aug 12 2009 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
**
432 posts
I would like a jump feature but something like monster hunter. Where it serves a purpose, dodging attacks but drains your stamina. Over do it and it will actually hinder your travel instead of making it faster.

Characters with full plate armor should have a really really really hard time trying to jump upward. Moreso if they are trying to jump several times.

Stamina bar goes to zero and the guy is immobilized for about 3-5 seconds.

I think I've been playing too much monster hunter. :P

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 4:58pm by ashikenshin
____________________________
Kyunalesca
Lakshmi

"should you punch a six-year old girl in the face -- or should you punch her in the stomach? Hmm, that's a toughie."

Battlecat:
"I've always felt the best way to respond to someone calmly presenting their point of view is to fly off the handle and insult everyone who doesn't think like exactly like myself as well."
#4 Aug 12 2009 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
I'd take better area design over jumping any day of the week. *glares at Ordelle's Caves*
#5 Aug 12 2009 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
Not being able to do something simple as even jump is going to frustrate and turn off a lot of players who aren't used to the slow, dull mechanics of FFXI.

Have the people complaining about bunny hopping characters only played one particular MMO? The worry just seems bizarre.

Though, there is something amusing about being prevented from further exploration by a foot high ledge...

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 5:05pm by Dizmo
#6 Aug 12 2009 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
If it can be implemented into platforming in dungeons, I'd definitely want one.

But for ***** sake I'm tired of MMOs where people just jump all over the ******* place for no reason because they feel they travel faster >.>
____________________________

#7 Aug 12 2009 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
...because they feel they travel faster


Jumping in LotRO actually did make you swim faster. Really added to the atmosphere of the game world when an entire division of armor-clad warriors started bunny-hopping across the Hoardale river all at once...
#8 Aug 12 2009 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Deja'vu for your entertainment
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#9 Aug 12 2009 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
**
571 posts


Awe...that woulda been so much funnier if you linked a video of "an entire division of armor-clad warriors bunny-hopping across the Hoardale river all at once".
#10 Aug 12 2009 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
401 posts
Quote:
Deja'vu for your entertainment


I think that thread has covered the topic of jumping in FFXVI until we know one way or another if it will be there or not, no need to start that war over again :S.

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 4:38pm by Ipwnrice
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#11 Aug 12 2009 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Ipwnrice wrote:
Quote:
Deja'vu for your entertainment


I think that thread has covered the topic of jumping in FFXVI until we know one way or another if it will be there or not, no need to start that war over again :S.

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 4:38pm by Ipwnrice

Meh, let them have their fun with the subject like we had our fun.

I can sum up the end result though...

- A large number of people are irrationally enraged by the idea of a person jumping when not needed.
- A large number of people want a jump who find it to be useful, not annoying.
- There is NOT A SNOWFLAKE'S CHANCE IN **** of getting one side to agree with the other about whether jumping is annoying or not.
- Even if the entire playerbase agreed that they wanted jumping, the chances of Square actually implementing jumping is slim to none.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#12 Aug 12 2009 at 3:08 PM Rating: Excellent
*
96 posts
Quote:
Deja'vu for your entertainment


So there has already been a long diskussion about it I see :)

If it follows other FF games we properly won't be able to.

It would be cool if we could swim, just can't imaging a Lalafell swim :D
#13 Aug 12 2009 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
169 posts
XxHigetsuxX wrote:
Awe...that woulda been so much funnier if you linked a video of "an entire division of armor-clad warriors bunny-hopping across the Hoardale river all at once".


I tried to find you one, but the best I could come up with was this (at 2:15 or so). Monster side, and only a handful of jumpers. Really ****ty quality, too. Could have found a dozen videos if I'd been *****ing about static raid-on-raid dry-humping, though...
#14 Aug 12 2009 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
I hope to god there's no jumping, and can almost bet there will be none. Just look at WoW, where ever you go, where ever there's people. Some one will be running through and just randomly start jumping. It's so stupid looking that it's actually hilarious. People will just stand around and jump for no reason.

No, sorry, against the jump feature.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#15 Aug 12 2009 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
I hope to god there's no jumping, and can almost bet there will be none. Just look at WoW, where ever you go, where ever there's people. Some one will be running through and just randomly start jumping. It's so stupid looking that it's actually hilarious. People will just stand around and jump for no reason.


You know, I really just do not understand this statement. I've played WoW for well over 3 years now and I have never seen this behavior. Granted I play a RP realm but it is a very heavily populated one.

After being thwarted by Ordelle's Caves ***** you Morbolger!) in my previous MMO life, I can say it's terribly frustrating not being able to get over small obstacles as a hulking Galka. And in my most humble opinion adding Jumping, Swimming Physics, Flight etc.. adds some weight and substance to a game world.
____________________________
Roan Ragestorm
Charr|Warrior|Stormbluff Isle


MoonlitStorm
Night Elf|Druid|Cenarion Circle ~retired~


GryphonStalker
Galka|Monk|Bastok|Midgardsormr ~retired~
#16 Aug 12 2009 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
GryphonStalker, Guardian of the Glade wrote:
Quote:
I hope to god there's no jumping, and can almost bet there will be none. Just look at WoW, where ever you go, where ever there's people. Some one will be running through and just randomly start jumping. It's so stupid looking that it's actually hilarious. People will just stand around and jump for no reason.


You know, I really just do not understand this statement. I've played WoW for well over 3 years now and I have never seen this behavior. Granted I play a RP realm but it is a very heavily populated one.
I played for 2-3 months and I understand his sentiment exactly XD
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#17 Aug 12 2009 at 4:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I really don't see a problem with jumping as long as the animation is realistic and it's not an effective means of travel from A to B. Give it a startup lag so that it's completely inefficient if you don't actually need to jump.

But I'm also ok with automatic action at ledges, like a lot of games use. i.e., you automatically climb over and jump down from ledges. It's not something you can do when you want to. I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with that.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#18 Aug 12 2009 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
40 posts
I playing Aion CN and well the jump feature in that game does get annoying b/c people are constantly running and jumping around in one place till they know where they are going. I don't know my feelings about it but i could do with or without but looking at it, XIV doesn't look like it will have it. but could be wrong.
#19 Aug 12 2009 at 6:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
I've personally never noticed the "jumping problem" in any game I've played.

But honestly? If that is the biggest thing you can think to complain about, and it irritates you that much... You REALLY need to grow a thicker skin.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#20Darksyndicate, Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 6:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That runs dangerously close to this mentality: "I don't like it, therefore I'll hate anyone that does, and anyone that disagrees with me."
#21 Aug 12 2009 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
Darksyndicate wrote:

That runs dangerously close to this mentality: "I don't like it, therefore I'll hate anyone that does, and anyone that disagrees with me."

This is the cause of every major conflict. Ever. Racism, Politics, Religion, etc. They've all used this excuse. Let it be, everyone will be better off.


So, we're not allowed to want Male Miqo'Te so we can actually play the race we want, as the correct gender, that's bad and there are reasons as to why we can't have that, and arguments against it...

...Yet, wanting a realism element where people aren't JUMPING around like a bunch of retards everywhere they go is bad? If they add it I'm still going to play, I'm not even going to hate it, I'm just expressing my opinion on the matter.

Bringing up such extreme's as Racism and Religion makes you a god **** ******. This is a video game, and saying I think it's silly for people to jump around everywhere they go gets annoying, does not compare to important real life issues like you brought up.

Stop putting words in my mouth.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#22 Aug 12 2009 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
Quote:
If it can be implemented into platforming in dungeons, I'd definitely want one.

But for @#%^s sake I'm tired of MMOs where people just jump all over the @#%^ing place for no reason because they feel they travel faster >.>

The main reason people spam the keyboard button and bunny hop is because it passes the time while traveling through zones.
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#23Darksyndicate, Posted: Aug 12 2009 at 8:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Those are your words, you put them there.
#24 Aug 12 2009 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Put a timer/speed reduction on jumping.

problem solved.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#25 Aug 12 2009 at 8:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
Quote:

- A large number of people are irrationally enraged by the idea of a person jumping when not needed.


My apologies to Karelyn, I am not singling you out, but merely found this quote first and wanted to address the concept as a whole. A lot of people seem to be implying that there is no good argument to be made against jumping in an MMO; or rather, to be specific, bunny hoping.

I will admit that the knee jerk response to most people against bunny hoping is "well it's annoying" and yes, this is a down right terrible argument. But here is something a little more grounded perhaps. For those who put emphasis on immersion (although this is a bing-word I try to avoid myself) bunny hoping is like taking a deVinci painting and replacing most of the colours with rainbow brush. Something just isn't right about a bunch of iron clad warriors and ariodite sages jumping around like preschoolers playing hop-scotch.

Personally, I think the ideal solution would be to make the environments interactive, i.e. if you come up to a ledge, give us to option to hoist ourselves up onto it. This would give SE a chance to flex their graphical muscle and solve most of the arguments for jumping. Of course, the counter-argument is that this method would be far too work intensive for a feature easily replaced with a jump button. But I ask you, which is harder? Hard coding in the ability to jump over ledges and obstacles of a certain height or less? Or nit picking every inch of every environment to make sure that if a player jumps from point A he/she can't access someplace he/she shouldn't be? I'm not asking which is better, but rather which is harder for the developers.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 12:33am by Hulan
#26 Aug 12 2009 at 8:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
Darksyndicate wrote:
What?


Lurk Moar.

Quote:
If they add it, you're still going to play. Therefore you could've just left it alone since it doesn't matter one way or the other, right? Oh, and fun FACT, At least one person will always do something you hate. Every day. Until the end of time. You either cope or you end up hurting someone.


Guess what cool guy. This is a forum, where people discuss their opinions, which often differ. It doesn't mean we hate eachother, or even each others ideas, we simply discuss how we feel and think about issues. The OP actually asked what we thought about it, and we are giving the OP our opinions.

Please learn to brain.

EndlessJourney wrote:
Bringing up such extreme's as Racism and Religion makes you a god **** ******.

Darksyndicate wrote:
That runs dangerously close to this mentality: "I don't like it, therefore I'll hate anyone that does, and anyone that disagrees with me."

Quote:
anyone that disagrees with me


I not once said "Anyone that disagrees with me". Reread my posts. Not once in this thread did I say that. Again, stop putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
It's pretty sad that you think I'm saying that not liking people jumping in a video game is as bad as the issues I mentioned.


It wasn't worthy of being brought up in the first place, that was my point, and you are still retarded for doing so.

Quote:
I really don't care how you feel about it. But can you HONESTLY say that the thought process isn't the least bit similar?


No, it's not. This is a video game, I'm not even throwing a fit over it. I just think it's a stupid feature. If they end up adding it, I will giggle a bit and end up jumping myself probably.

EndlessJourney wrote:
Stop putting words in my mouth.


Quote:
Those are your words, you put them there.


The words that you say I said when people can scroll up and see I didn't say them are not my words.

Alla is turning into /b/ I swear to God, it's too much to handle some times...

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 9:33pm by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#27 Aug 12 2009 at 8:30 PM Rating: Excellent
**
676 posts
2:42 is relevant to this discussion.

If you don't like videos:
Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot
____________________________
MUTED
#28 Aug 12 2009 at 8:40 PM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
Hulan wrote:
Quote:

- A large number of people are irrationally enraged by the idea of a person jumping when not needed.


My apologies to Karelyn, I am not singling you out, but merely found this quote first and wanted to address the concept as a whole. A lot of people seem to be implying that there is no good argument to be made against jumping in an MMO; or rather, to be specific, bunny hoping.

I will admit that the knee jerk response to most people against bunny hoping is "well it's annoying" and yes, this is a down right terrible argument. But here is something a little more grounded perhaps. For those who put emphasis on immersion (although this is a bing-word I try to avoid myself) bunny hoping is like taking a deVinci painting and replacing most of the colours with rainbow brush. Something just isn't right about a bunch of iron clad warriors and ariodite sages jumping around like preschoolers playing hop-scotch.

Personally, I think the ideal solution would be to make the environments interactive, i.e. if you come up to a ledge, give us to option to hoist ourselves up onto it. This would give SE a chance to flex their graphical muscle and solve most of the arguments for jumping. Of course, the counter-argument is that this method would be far too work intensive for a feature easily replaced with a jump button. But I ask you, which is harder? Hard coding in the ability to jump over ledges and obstacles of a certain height or less? Or nit picking every inch of every environment to make sure that if a player jumps from point A he/she can't access someplace he/she shouldn't be? I'm not asking which is better, but rather which is harder for the developers.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 12:33am by Hulan


Yeah, this is what I think, for the most part. Although the argument that bunny hopping around everywhere is annoying is completely valid, I'm glad you went into more detail.

As you said, having a very mystical, mature, fantasy looking game, with very intense and realistic graphics, where people are hopping around everywhere, would honestly ruin the flow of the game.

Now, having certain area's, or quests, or times where you can swim/jump/climb would be great in my opinion. Just not anywhere, at any time.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#29 Aug 12 2009 at 9:04 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
EndlessJourney wrote:
Lurk Moar.

Because i don't understand how you managed to bring up Male Miqo'Te into a thread discussing jumping, i'm lurking? Here, Let me quote you again.

EndlessJourney wrote:
So, we're not allowed to want Male Miqo'Te so we can actually play the race we want, as the correct gender, that's bad and there are reasons as to why we can't have that, and arguments against it...


Why would i care if they get added or not? I don't. For that matter, when i said I'm in favor of jumping, It won't bother me much if it doesn't get added. What DOES bother me is that biggest argument against it is something silly.

EndlessJourney wrote:
The words that you say I said when people can scroll up and see I didn't say them are not my words.


Maybe you should scroll up and do the same. Anything that I quoted from you specifically, you've typed. Anything else in my post is my perspective. When i put the other quotation in there, it was a general mentality of some people. It wasn't something you said or I'd have marked it as such.

You may not hate anyone here, but you sure as **** seem hostile for opinions you don't like.

This argument isn't constructive at all, so instead of dragging it further, allow me to apologize if I offended you, because it was not my intent. Let's be adults here.

Did you at least find that image I linked funny? Because it took me forever to find it.

Let's change the subject. This thread is now about socks.

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 10:05pm by Darksyndicate
____________________________
Did anyone else see the Hyur group called Highlanders and think "There can be only one?"
http://avalon808.mybrute.com
#30 Aug 12 2009 at 9:22 PM Rating: Good
***
1,822 posts
Darksyndicate wrote:
EndlessJourney wrote:
Lurk Moar.

Because i don't understand how you managed to bring up Male Miqo'Te into a thread discussing jumping, i'm lurking? Here, Let me quote you again.


/sigh

You don't seem to understand what lurking means. Nevermind.

EndlessJourney wrote:
So, we're not allowed to want Male Miqo'Te so we can actually play the race we want, as the correct gender, that's bad and there are reasons as to why we can't have that, and arguments against it...


Quote:
Why would i care if they get added or not? I don't.


Did you read my next sentence after all that? It began with "yet". Meaning I wasn't actually bringing that up as a subject, but rather using it as a reference.

Quote:
For that matter, when i said I'm in favor of jumping, It won't bother me much if it doesn't get added. What DOES bother me is that biggest argument against it is something silly.


You're in the beautiful world of Eorzea. A high tech, very visually stunning, mature looking, traditional "final fantasy" type game. You are decked out in some awesome looking knights armor, going through a mystical area on a quest, and everyone you pass is bunny hopping. Can you not see how it would ruin the feel a little? Some MMORPG's like WoW it works a "little" better in, because they have a different feel to them. FFXIV we already know will have that traditional, deep, final fantasy feeling to it.

I just don't think Randomly jumping everywhere would be a good element to add. Now, as some have said, if there were restrictions on it, or certain places you could do it, I can see it working.

Quote:
Maybe you should scroll up and do the same. Anything that I quoted from you specifically, you've typed.


You quoted me as having said "Anyone that disagree's with me" which I did not say once.

Quote:
You may not hate anyone here, but you sure as **** seem hostile for opinions you don't like.


I'm very strongly opinionated some times, but I'm not hostile. The only time I do become hostile is if I am attacked, and for stupid reasons.

Quote:
This argument isn't constructive at all, so instead of dragging it further, allow me to apologize if I offended you, because it was not my intent. Let's be adults here.


Apology accepted. But you have to see why it would invoke a argument. Think carefully about what you say before you say it to people, it will make them hostile if they feel they are being attacked directly.

Quote:
Did you at least find that image I linked funny? Because it took me forever to find it.


Yes, it was plenty delightful.

Quote:
Let's change the subject. This thread is now about socks.


I think the thread should still be about jumping, without so much arguing and attacking. If people feel one way or another, explain why and discuss the issue.

Edited, Aug 12th 2009 10:22pm by EndlessJourney
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#31 Aug 12 2009 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
This'll be my last post on this, just to clear something up.

EndlessJourney wrote:
You quoted me as having said "Anyone that disagree's with me" which I did not say once.


Except it wasn't quoting you, i was quoting something i wrote (which was a generalized statement expressed by certain people), but whatever.
____________________________
Did anyone else see the Hyur group called Highlanders and think "There can be only one?"
http://avalon808.mybrute.com
#32 Aug 13 2009 at 2:34 AM Rating: Excellent
*
96 posts
I do see the point of people not wanting it, but I have not had bad experience with it.
I only played WOW for 2 month, so I don't really know how bad it is there. I am currently playing in Aion beta, and I haven't seen the jump thing being over used much, might be that you have the ability to fly also.



Thanks for the Sub-Default.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 12:37pm by CWinther
#33 Aug 13 2009 at 3:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Yeah, I don't know why you were given the sub-d. I usually could give two ***** about karma but whatever, I'll rate you up.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#34 Aug 13 2009 at 4:25 AM Rating: Excellent
*
96 posts
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why you were given the sub-d. I usually could give two sh*ts about karma but whatever, I'll rate you up.


Thanks I usually don't get ****** about that either, I just didn't get why.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 3:24pm by CWinther
#35 Aug 13 2009 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
CWinther wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why you were given the sub-d. I usually could give two sh*ts about karma but whatever, I'll rate you up.

Thanks I usually don't get ****** about that either, I just didn't get why.

It was an overreaction to a thread that's over a month and a half old.

Especially considering you are literate.
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#36 Aug 13 2009 at 5:12 AM Rating: Good
**
821 posts
@darksyndicate: Did you actually notice that you behave just the way you adressed how racism, religions etc get that way? You don't accept other people opinions, no matter what, as long as they don't agree with you ;)

Just wanted to say that regarding your "topic".

Now to the actual topic^^

I played FFXI, I played WoW and I played Aion Beta...I don't really like the jump feature, because as long as the environment doesn't neccessarily need a jump feature, it gives me a better feelling when I run around that fantasy world and don't see people jumping for no reason.(imagine a Zelda MMO where everyone is doing the "roll" feature because even now most people think you travel faster by "rolling", THAT would ruin the feeling of the game massively xD)
Jumping is not that "annoying" as the roll thing, but if its not needed I prefer not jumping. I did it in WoW, just because I got used to it, but only if I was standing around doing nothing or waiting for a pull or w/e. When I was walking around the world, I only jumped when I needed to get to a higher platform or w/e.

In case of FFXIV, I would prefer better environments than FFXI and no jump feature, rather than jumping.
But knowing Square Enix and already seeing some pictures I would assume there will be no jump feature 90% certain.
Take the picture of the "Galka" and "Mithra" on the ship with that jelly fishs attacking...its a boat, now imagine the Mithra jumping over the ledge and running away O.o That just wouldn't fit well into the world.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)