Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Anyone else afraid to start as a mage?Follow

#1 Aug 13 2009 at 3:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
31 posts
I realize we know very little so far, but as far as Square-Enix's track record goes, is anyone besides me afraid to start the game as a mage? Specifically a blackmage-type character?

I've always loved Black Mage type jobs and would love to be one in FFXIV since I assume the magic animations will be phenomenal. But seeing how Blackmages were almost forgotten in FFXI, I'm a little wary to commit to another one.

Even in games before FFXI, there were usually more efficient ways of killing enemies without wasting MP to do so. I usually saved black magic for boss fights where I knew they would have exploitable weaknesses. For regular mobs I would just attack it until it dies.

I'm hoping square enix has wizened up and made a spike damage caster a more viable job this time around that won't be forced to solo on puddings and pets...

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 7:03pm by esque
____________________________

#2 Aug 13 2009 at 3:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Am I the only one that still remembers when the only way you could get a Divine Might earring was to have 75 BLM? Not to mention the rest of sky, a good portion of sea, and almost every exp party?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#3 Aug 13 2009 at 3:05 PM Rating: Good
****
7,129 posts
Seems to me like it'll be less of an issue in FFXIV given that you can change jobs on the fly a la FFX-2 (at least, that's how I read it).
____________________________
•• Isiolia - Mithra - Pandemo... Asura FU SE ••
RDM BLM BST BRD NIN WAR PLD DNC BLU
#4 Aug 13 2009 at 3:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
161 posts
As I recall, BLM were quite popular before ToAU. Hopefully, the SC/MB mechanic will be making a comeback.
#5 Aug 13 2009 at 3:31 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,446 posts
I just came to say that I unfortunately started FFXI as a BLM and managed to get to 17 and get my WHM subjob. It's a wonder that I continued to play after that...

I will most likely start as a fighter in IVX.
____________________________
Kyansaroo - Kujata
Windurst Rank 10
Tarutaru
BLM 75 / WHM 75 / BST 75 / RDM 75 / BRD 75
Next to 75: COR 47 / SCH 58
RotZ: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: In-Progress
WoTG: In-Progress
#6 Aug 13 2009 at 3:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
blm was extremely popular and in demand before ToAU came out. Once that happened though, blm died for just about everything except a few endgame activities. If SE can bring back the SC/MB stuff for XIV and actually keep it useful throughout the entire game and perhaps expansions they add, blm probably won't die off like it did in XI
____________________________

#7 Aug 13 2009 at 3:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
516 posts
I'll be rolling Roegadyn this time around.





I'm prepared for when they state either the 400 mp differences or the 100 damage differences compared to lalafell.
____________________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/loltarupup

My channel with FFXI battle music and hard to find songs that were not even released on Original Soundtracks.

I also plan on uploading FFXIV music when the game is released.
#8 Aug 13 2009 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
**
370 posts
I started FFXI with the ps2 wave and one think I took away from from that is that if you want to get a party, be a mage. There were a ton of DD and only a few mages. I assume it will be the same way when FFXIV starts up.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#9 Aug 13 2009 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
I don't trust SE with DD mage jobs. None of the FF games have shown that they understand mages need to scale like melee.
Isiolia wrote:
Seems to me like it'll be less of an issue in FFXIV given that you can change jobs on the fly a la FFX-2 (at least, that's how I read it).

But then you wouldn't be a mage...

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 6:57pm by Allegory
#10 Aug 13 2009 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,614 posts
Mages had, what, four or five years of total domination over FFXI? There was a very long period of time where parties went WHM, BLM, RDM/BRD, PLD/NIN, and two more damage dealers as an afterthought (but never DRG, and preferably not MNK). When skillchains were popular, BLMs ruled the roost, and they were considered mandatory for any burning circle-type battle and all endgame activities. Those guys fought off invites for everything you can imagine.

I'm not saying that makes the current tough times for the job justified. I'm just saying that SE doesn't have some agenda against BLM just because they've neglected it over the last two years. The current situation came about because the game was so biased towards magic classes that they tried to fix it, and (arguably) overcompensated. It was a unique circumstance.

Of course there will be balance issues in FFXIV. Some jobs will be weaker and some will be overpowered. But there's absolutely no reason to think mages will be the ones to get the short end of the stick.
#11 Aug 13 2009 at 4:36 PM Rating: Default
****
7,899 posts
Big sword = main character = fanboi *************
Mage = support character = mascot = might as well be an NPC so everyone can play teh cloudz or sepheeerothz.
Quote:
Am I the only one that still remembers when the only way you could get a Divine Might earring was to have 75 BLM?

Maybe if you were a total noob and couldn't beat it normally. I killed it with like 2-3 BLMs back in 2004, and I know many people who also did. It was never hard unless you were braindead.

I bet you think the only way to win BV2 is by zerging, too, right?
Quote:
Mages had, what, four or five years of total domination over FFXI?

Four or five years? Try 2 years, at most. People were already melee burning in 2005.

Big-sword classes used to whine and cry and whine some more because they were left out of those awesome 6k/hour parties in sky and had to settle for the 5k/hour parties. Now those same whiny overcompensating melees like to pretend they were drastically oppressed for years and years. Let's not forget that pre-CoP mages did "all" the work (while melees were fully capable, if you left easymode comfort zone) so melees could lot their god gear.

Yup. Such an oppressed majority.
#12 Aug 13 2009 at 5:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
40 posts
Not at all. It should be easier in my opinion but Hopefully it will be done well.
#13 Aug 13 2009 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Quote:
Maybe if you were a total noob and couldn't beat it normally. I killed it with like 2-3 BLMs back in 2004, and I know many people who also did. It was never hard unless you were braindead.
I beat it w/o any BLMs, but I can't tell you how many alliances I got turned down from because I didn't have BLM leveled. Don't even pretend like it wasn't the norm.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#14 Aug 13 2009 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
I like playing support classes so I will probably play a mage. I've been kind of leaning toward being a tank this time though. I guess I'll make my choice when I see how the battle system works. I think SE probably learned their lesson from ToAU. At least I hope they did.
#15 Aug 13 2009 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Am I afraid? Somewhat but for a specific mage and a different reason.

RDM...first of all, I'm afraid we wont get one. Secondly, I'm afraid with this armoury system they'll no longer have the flexibility they have in FFXI what with each weapon and piece of armor possibly changing your job.
#16 Aug 13 2009 at 6:15 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,614 posts
Quote:
Big-sword classes used to whine and cry and whine some more because they were left out of those awesome 6k/hour parties in sky and had to settle for the 5k/hour parties. Now those same whiny overcompensating melees like to pretend they were drastically oppressed for years and years. Let's not forget that pre-CoP mages did "all" the work (while melees were fully capable, if you left easymode comfort zone) so melees could lot their god gear.

Yup. Such an oppressed majority.


Oh, @#%^ off. My entire point was that all of this self-pity has got to stop. One type of class had it tough back then and they moaned while people like you mocked and belittled them. Then the situation reversed and they're mocking and belittling the other guys while the new untouchables are lamenting that the developers have always hated them. It's ridiculous.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 9:17pm by Borkachev
#17 Aug 13 2009 at 6:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
Having been a former Dragoon I think I have some right (I never got to 75 but it was my highest job) to say get off your **** and find a way to deal with it.

Class balance will always be a bit off and someone will always get the short end of the stick till rebalancing gives that short stick to someone else. There have always been differant options for leveling, you don't have to join the most popular party type just to get exp.. might not be as fast but if it's still raiseing I'm sure you can get over it. Manaburns were probably the most amusing parties to watch when I played and while they didn't kill things at optimal speed they did work.

I'm quite sure that XIV will allow for "nonstandard" party settups.

Edit: not trying to insult anyone, just saying that alot of the dragoons I knew were happy to try wyvern burns and other non standard parties.

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 10:36pm by zurinadrg
#18 Aug 13 2009 at 6:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
To the OP, I would not worry about the BLM type at this point. If your sig is accurate, you havent reached endgame and they are still widely used for a number of events at that point. Before TOA came out, BLM was god and they were basically how 2-handed melee are thought of now, Bards were likely to be swept up by manaburns if they werent in KRT.

At any rate, the creativity and strategy alluded to in the new battle system is what gives me the most hope. If it is well thought out then I imagine any job type will be able to contribute to a party, LS, etc.
____________________________
Gae Assail - Obtained 1/28/08
4855/7000 - Stellar Fragment - X
DRG 75/RDM 75/DRK 75
#19 Aug 13 2009 at 6:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
739 posts
Actually no. I plan on being a mage right out of the gate and taking it as high as you can in the game.
#20 Aug 13 2009 at 7:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
121 posts
Quote:
Quote:

Mages had, what, four or five years of total domination over FFXI?


Four or five years? Try 2 years, at most. People were already melee burning in 2005.


FFXI was released in 2002 in Japan, 2005-2002 = 3.
#21 Aug 13 2009 at 7:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Like every other MMORPG out there, FF14 will have good classes and not so good classes. Thing is, SE is among the slowest to fix imbalances. (In part, this is due to not having PvP. When a game has PvP the classes NEED to be fairly close to each other. Without it, there's more leeway.)

If anything, Blm will be one of the more powerful classes in the game. With only a few exceptions in the FF series, Mages have been THE class to play.

The one set of classes I'll steer away from is going to be the melee DD classes. Chances are there will just be too many of them compared to healer, tank, and ranged DD classes. We saw this in FFXI, and I fully expect to see it again in FF14.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#22 Aug 13 2009 at 8:33 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,899 posts
Quote:
I beat it w/o any BLMs, but I can't tell you how many alliances I got turned down from because I didn't have BLM leveled. Don't even pretend like it wasn't the norm.

Divine Might was over a year old by the time I ever saw a manaburn group attempt it. Even if it became the "norm" after that, it wasn't stopping a group that didn't suck from beating it any number of ways. Of course if you respond to shouts, you're gonna get the easiest strategy, since most players have trouble following instructions more complicated than "thundaga at xx:xx".
Quote:
FFXI was released in 2002 in Japan, 2005-2002 = 3.

Japan release had a lvl 50 cap and got patched practically weekly, shifting the balance every time. Nothing counted for the first year. It was practically a beta test that cost money (well, even more of a beta test than usual).
#23 Aug 13 2009 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
121 posts
Quote:

Japan release had a lvl 50 cap and got patched practically weekly, shifting the balance every time. Nothing counted for the first year. It was practically a beta test that cost money (well, even more of a beta test than usual)


Doesnt stop the fact that BLMs we're still powerhouses, also,

Melee burns were happening in 2005 thats just pretty much when they 'started', mages still ruled over them, melee burns werent the dominant thing to do until ToAU came in 2006
#24 Aug 13 2009 at 8:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
209 posts
I'm actually afraid to start a White Mage or FFXIV healer equivalent.

My reason being that the Armory system described a character taking a short break from battle to heal himself with his own skills. This makes me think that anyone can learn white magic skills in combination with their fighter skills and they'll be able to freely switch from one to the other.

This makes it seem like a white mage isn't really going to be needed as much...if it at all (especially if people can switch disciplines in the middle of combat)

In FFXI I was always needed in a party as a white mage. Now, I'm not so sure.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to this "more soloing" thing, but I like working in a group.

I want to be able to focus on my healing skills and not have to use a sword or whatever.

I have a feeling that white mages are hardly going to be needed this time around.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#25 Aug 13 2009 at 9:50 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
I'm used to playing "gimp" classes anyways, so I won't really be bothered if BLM are underpowered. This is coming from a dude who played a warlock at release in WOW and a magus in Warhammer. Yeah, I'm used to being gimp.

THat said, yeah, melee DD as usual are gonna be overplayed. Something about big armor and big swords just attracts the masses.
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#26 Aug 13 2009 at 9:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
The thing i loved about ffxi was that One Character could be any type of class/job in the game. So I'm not worried about starting a mage (preferably a smn type class, but I'm not wanting to be a healer...), because if it does fail, i can level a melee and keep my same beloved character AND my abilities under the mage job.

Do I think S-E will mess up the mage classes?

Perhaps, but i think they will be more pro-active about fixing and balancing than they've been in ffxi. And the only reason why Mage jobs are not in high demand is because of downtime. Mages are extremely important in endgame events (no matter how good you are, running a dynamis, limbus, einherjar, sky, etc w/out a healer is suicide), and with the new solo-friendly mechanics, people won't be stuck levelling healers, waiting hours for parties like in ffxi.


I do hope that down time is not an issue. Super-Awesome-Refresh Gogo!

Edit for spelling.

Edited, Aug 14th 2009 1:52am by MerylStryfe
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#27 Aug 13 2009 at 10:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
424 posts
I ain't afraid of no mage-job. Unless they name it something stupid... Thaturmawhatever

I will be starting as a 'whatevermage'. And as an Elf or Galka.
____________________________
Administrator Kaolian:
"Quote it correctly or don't quote it. That's called "how people get banned"..."

Actually it's called "Libel"... and only if it is fabricated, but hey, you are the admin.

AureliusSir the Irrelevant:
"They're on a tangent, but they aren't off topic."
#28 Aug 13 2009 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
If you play almost any other MMO (you know, the ones you can turn on and off whenever you want and still enjoy the game) , just because it's possible to solo to level cap, does not negate the necessity for healers. Look at WoW for instance, main heals are required for end game activities, usually priests, while druids and shamans are used for back up heals (they may main heal in some situations). The cool thing about a game where you can play solo more often is that your white mage will probably be capable of putting out more damage than it's predecessor in FFXI. Final Fantasy's WHM was one of the weakest healer classes I've ever seen in the game, look forward to being able to handle yourself a bit better :D
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#29 Aug 13 2009 at 11:15 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts
That's a legitimate concern, Finaa

There's always the danger a classless MMO will become...well, classless.

The worst of it is the TankMages. This means playing a caster DPS wearing heavy armor to gain the advantage of both distance and damage reduction to undermine the need for healing (from yourself or otherwise). This is the result of the game being solo focused while allowing people enough freedom to make healing negligible. While companies still include all the bells and whistles to construct a build-your-own healing class, really it's just smoke and mirrors, ultimately Healers are relegated to the fate of Tank-Mage with a Holy theme.

A good sign is the fact FFXIV's questing system seems to make grouping more convenient than most solo-centric games. But really, the deciding factor will be how much freedom you have in accessing your abilities and whether or not there's some kind of potency restriction in effect.

Another scribble on the "big list of thing I need to see before deciding to play"



/edit: Difference being, Guardian, that Endgame constitutes the majority of WoW. The leveling process is kind of like the completely irrelevant tutorial for your class.

Though it would be nice to be able to stand on my own two feet a little more, that doesn't keep solo play from undermining what playing a support class is all about.

Edited, Aug 14th 2009 3:20am by Zemzelette
#30 Aug 13 2009 at 11:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Finaa wrote:
In FFXI I was always needed in a party as a white mage. Now, I'm not so sure.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to this "more soloing" thing, but I like working in a group.

I want to be able to focus on my healing skills and not have to use a sword or whatever.

I have a feeling that white mages are hardly going to be needed this time around.


In the E3 Interview SE said that "for party play, we took a serious look at how to define a solid role for every player," but they also said that it was important for players to have the option of solo play.

I can't see how they can have it both ways and still maintain "traditional" or highly specialized jobs like those in FFXI and earlier games. The fact that SE has eliminated the traditional job names seems like a pretty good indication that they really will be going with a new job system this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the highly specialized jobs in FFXI too (even if it did make party play pretty much mandatory), just liked I loved the job system in FFIV. When FFVI came out, I was bummed at first that SE did away with clearly defined classes, but eventually the storyline, music, etc drew me in and I ended up enjoying FFVI just as much as FFIV.

SE has a long history of making radical changes from one game to the next. If I like something about an earlier game in the series, I've found it's easier to go back and play that game than to try and force my preconceived ideas onto their latest release.

____________________________
#31 Aug 14 2009 at 12:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
Perhaps, but i think they will be more pro-active about fixing and balancing than they've been in ffxi. And the only reason why Mage jobs are not in high demand is because of downtime. Mages are extremely important in endgame events (no matter how good you are, running a dynamis, limbus, einherjar, sky, etc w/out a healer is suicide), and with the new solo-friendly mechanics, people won't be stuck levelling healers, waiting hours for parties like in ffxi.


I sincerly hope so, but I have serious serious doubts that SE will ever be proactive about this kind of thing. Their track record for fixing this kind of thing has just been horrid.

Now that isn't to say that things haven't gotten better, they have. But it has taken years when it really should have taken months.

SE does ideas really really well. But their implementation of said ideas is done poorly.

Look at skillchains/magic bursts. GREAT idea. But the fact of the matter is that they are not relevant because TP spam does more damage per mob which means more exp over a given time. When the players figured this out, skillchains became a thing of the past. SE had a golden opportunity to re-evaluate skillchains, but never did so. As a result, no one uses them any more.

Another thing that could be much improved is the job/subjob system. When 75% of the player base goes x/Nin, /Nin needs to be looked at closely. Granted SE has taken some steps to make other jobs more appealing, but the bottom line is that /Nin is still overpowered.

SE does a great job with games in general. They just need to start addressing issues as they come up instead of turning a blind eye to them. I HOPE they have learned that by now. Maybe it'll be different this time around. We'll see.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#32 Aug 14 2009 at 1:45 AM Rating: Good
*
100 posts
So glad someone else realizes how stupidly overpowered ninjas are and their utsesumi ********* I really hope we don't see that crap in FF14.
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#33 Aug 14 2009 at 6:44 AM Rating: Decent
esque wrote:
But seeing how Blackmages were almost forgotten in FFXI, I'm a little wary to commit to another one.


Black Mage is one of the most sought after jobs in all of FFXI (Dynamis, BCNMs, etc). Always has been. We just don't like them in our experience point parties.

imperialvulture wrote:
So glad someone else realizes how stupidly overpowered ninjas are and their utsesumi bullsh*t. I really hope we don't see that crap in FF14.


Spoken like someone who quit FFXI a while ago. The FFXI community changes its mind on what is the only way to go. There was a time when NIN and /NIN was the only acceptable melee combination. Before that, a MNK subbing NIN was considered stupid. Today, /NIN is still used often, but is not seen as the only choice as it was a couple years ago. Everyone rides this bandwagon and often history shows us the wagon was not really on the right path.

Point being NIN and /NIN and their "utsesumi ************** is not broken.

Edited, Aug 14th 2009 9:47am by VawnLakshmi
____________________________
Vawn (Rank 10 San d'Oria Bastok Windurst)
All jobs 75
Amanomurakumo

My 5-Box FFXI Setup (Pictures)
SoullessSoliders Adventures
#34 Aug 14 2009 at 6:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
777 posts
VawnLakshmi the Great wrote:
esque wrote:
But seeing how Blackmages were almost forgotten in FFXI, I'm a little wary to commit to another one.

Black Mage is one of the most sought after jobs in all of FFXI (Dynamis, BCNMs, etc). Always has been. We just don't like them in our experience point parties.

Which is irnoically, why they are one of the most sought after jobs at level cap...

<,<
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#35 Aug 14 2009 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
Quote:

Spoken like someone who quit FFXI a while ago. The FFXI community changes its mind on what is the only way to go. There was a time when NIN and /NIN was the only acceptable melee combination. Before that, a MNK subbing NIN was considered stupid. Today, /NIN is still used often, but is not seen as the only choice as it was a couple years ago. Everyone rides this bandwagon and often history shows us the wagon was not really on the right path.

Point being NIN and /NIN and their "utsesumi bullsh*t" is not broken.

Hah. According to the zam ffxi forums, subbing /NIN even if you're a caster is the way to go for solo'ing and even partying. Utsesumi, Dual Wield... all own face. **** I hear Paladins sub NIN now to be dps hybrid healers. Which sounds great on paper, but the problem I've always had with Utsesumi is that it basically lets you be GOD MODE while it's up, which is retarded. But whatever, most FFXI fans are in denial over the retarded mechanics of NIN because they're weeaboos
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#36 Aug 16 2009 at 7:35 PM Rating: Decent
*
84 posts
Yeah the ninja job was pretty overpowered and I never liked it and hated more when I had to level it.

I am somewhat afraid of starting a mage, because that is what I enjoy and I would rather quit than play something I don't like. My main concern is the armory system and it forcing me to level mellee jobs because I going to have to switch to them at some time or turning everyone into a druid and mages becoming not needed because people just gear switching for the mage needed parts; which I can see this happen jus from looking at how mages were treated in FFXI.


Edited, Aug 16th 2009 11:46pm by FaithseekerOishii
____________________________
FFXI Server: Valefor Characters: Oishii and Elviss
75 Paladin 75 Samurai 43 White Mage
WoW 74 Paladin Faithseeker
#37 Aug 16 2009 at 7:44 PM Rating: Default
**
456 posts
I was a blm from the very beginning and it has dominated ffxi for a very long time. I would get over a 100 tells a day on average from random people asking to do either bcnm, quest, or something. It is still heavily used in endgame (at least on my server anyway), and I don't see how it was "forgotten". Now I admit now that melee burns and stuff like that got popular, blm party finding skills has sunk. But, manaburns still exist and blm dominated ffxi and was nowhere near forgotten.
#38 Aug 16 2009 at 8:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
I would love to find a way to be a RDM or a BLU. when I first started FFXI I was a RDM and I loved it even though the only thing I was goo for was refresh lol but I had more mana burns than anything and it was just a blast. BLU got me away from my RDM when ToAU released, I wouldn't mind doing it all over again. it was just a pleasant experience for me and I don't think XIV will be harder than FFXI was on those jobs.

on a side note I wish I had played with COR more lol
____________________________
FFXI~RDM75-Blu60-Blm37~Retired
#39 Aug 17 2009 at 3:53 AM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
Mezzura wrote:
Quote:

Japan release had a lvl 50 cap and got patched practically weekly, shifting the balance every time. Nothing counted for the first year. It was practically a beta test that cost money (well, even more of a beta test than usual)


Doesnt stop the fact that BLMs we're still powerhouses, also,

Melee burns were happening in 2005 thats just pretty much when they 'started', mages still ruled over them, melee burns werent the dominant thing to do until ToAU came in 2006


Powerhouse and mages still ruling over them my ***. Manaburns were only marginally better than a good exp party and blm wasn't a "powerhouse" until zilart. 2 years, maximum.

Edited, Aug 17th 2009 8:08am by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#40 Aug 17 2009 at 5:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
I am not, blackmages were fun to use finishing up a magic burst. Whitemages were vital part of parties and redmages were useful all around becoming amazing late game and being required for almost every party(which is sad... really).

I will probably level every available job i can up in the beginning just so i don't have to be in the newb area for quite awhile. I am assuming that will be level 10 again(or equal to since levels don't exist...). If i can have backup jobs to drag out an enjoyable area more i will be happy as a mouse.
#41 Aug 17 2009 at 7:30 AM Rating: Default
**
456 posts
Quote:
Powerhouse and mages still ruling over them my ***. Manaburns were only marginally better than a good exp party and blm wasn't a "powerhouse" until zilart. 2 years, maximum.


At the beginning, the sc + mb party was very common, and it was a joy to level blm. Then manaburns and rng burns came along and blms still dominated. Rise of zilart came with the na release, so that is like since the beginning of time, blm was dominating for a lot of people. Then CoP came along, and blm once again dominated. Am I the only one that experienced 1,000+ exp chains in manaburn from sea before they made aerns stop summoning nonstop elements? This was very early in sea, and if you didn't get sea until later then you wouldn't know this. It was crazy and probally the most fun I had in a manaburn ever, before they changed it.

Then finally ToA came out in 2006 and thats when melee burns dominated. Blms wasn't totally forgotten, it just didn't dominate like it always has before. The way I say it, blm had a nice run at dominating and it was time to give the crown up, and I was a blm from the very beginning. For years I got over 100 tells a day from random people, asking me to do a number of things just because I was on blm. An mmo changes through time and players adept and make the game go in a certain way. Blms is still very powerful and is used very frequently on almost every type of endgame event. The only problem they have is finding a party to exp with, and their is many jobs that share that problem.

Edited, Aug 17th 2009 11:31am by HocusP
#42 Aug 17 2009 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
*
100 posts
I think the biggest downside to melee burn parties is how they turned the game into a spam fest. One of the most original and fun aspects of FFXI was doing magic bursts...
____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#43 Aug 17 2009 at 11:19 AM Rating: Default
****
7,899 posts
Quote:
Am I the only one that experienced 1,000+ exp chains in manaburn from sea before they made aerns stop summoning nonstop elements?

Yeah, because a T mob every 30 seconds is so much EXP /eyeroll.
Quote:
The way I say it, blm had a nice run at dominating and it was time to give the crown up

There shouldn't be a crown to give up. You don't end racism by reversing it, and you don't balance jobs by trading one extreme for the other.
#44 Aug 17 2009 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
26 posts
Hmm I will most likely not be afraid of becoming any mage job that will make its appearance. If 14 stays consistant with 11, then any mage job will add to the complication, stress, and fun. Can't wait. \^_^/
____________________________

~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are chrunchy and taste good with ketchup.~

~Exploring Vana'Diel Since Oct. 29th 2003~
#45 Aug 17 2009 at 1:08 PM Rating: Default
**
456 posts
Quote:
Yeah, because a T mob every 30 seconds is so much EXP /eyeroll


It was faster then every 30 secs, and they varied from vt to t based on the element. It was fun getting in the thousands of a exp chain and it required the most attention in an manaburn ever. If you nuked the wrong element then you would mess the chain up. This kept everybodys attention, as they was not trying to be the one that messed the chain up. My ls was one of the first in sea also, so it was always empty and I enjoyed doing this with my family/ ls mates. It was just a joy to be there and you never wanted to mess up the chain because you would get laughed at (friendly) in ls chat if you did. You use to be able to skill up on them things that follow you also, if you had a weapon that hit for 0, but they changed that as well.

It was the greatest exp you could get before ToA was released. As for the crown remark, their will always be jobs favored over others by the community. Sure it is caused some by balancing issues but its more caused by the community. They did not tweak any jobs (besides a few), and look how many jobs went from glory to normal or normal to glory. This is caused by the community, and I remember a time when war was lol at and it was just a subjob. Then I also remember a time when it was sought after and took glory. It was the same exact job, and the difference was the community found a way to use it differently. The game changes and the players control the game. As the players figure the game out and gear gets better, their will be a min/man, and that min/max will change many times through a mmos lifetime.

Edited, Aug 17th 2009 5:10pm by HocusP
#46 Aug 17 2009 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
Not too afraid. If I am to play a mage, I would go down the route of a healer, and from what I've seen from SE before, I generally like their healing classes.
____________________________
Thoughts From Eorzea. A FFXIV dedicated Blog.
#47 Aug 17 2009 at 4:38 PM Rating: Good
*
100 posts
Fellow mages and other disciples of arcane lore, rally behind me! We will not fall, we will stand united against those that place their faith in the realm of the corporeal! Our foes will fall from flames conjured by will alone! We will mend the flesh of our allies with but an incantation!

____________________________
WTB Pet class, preferably a magic based one.
#48 Aug 17 2009 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
esque wrote:
is anyone besides me afraid to start the game as a mage? Specifically a blackmage-type character?

-But seeing how Blackmages were almost forgotten in FFXI, I'm a little wary to commit to another one.

-I'm hoping square enix has wizened up and made a spike damage caster a more viable job this time around that won't be forced to solo on puddings and pets...

Edited, Aug 13th 2009 7:03pm by esque


So your time in Vana'diel was limited huh?


2003-2006 blm was a prince. 2003-2009 (and beyond) Blm remains the endgame king.

I've never had my endgame ls leaders cancel an event because we didn't have enough samurai's, warriors, dragoon, rangers, pups, dancers, scholars, blue mages, beastmasters, or ninjas.

But almost everytime I read:

/ls We can't go unless some of you switch to blm.
/ls We only have 6 Blms
/ls No dynamis today, not enough blms showed up
/ls We can go in but we'll need you rdms to nuke so we're all gonna die...


Blm is the only job that doesn't have a hard dmg cap based on level difference also. So no, no one should be worried, SE loves mages.

This topic should be "Anyone wary of starting up a ranged class after SE's history with Ranger?"
____________________________


#49 Aug 17 2009 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
imperialvulture wrote:
So glad someone else realizes how stupidly overpowered ninjas are and their utsesumi bullsh*t. I really hope we don't see that crap in FF14.


The FFXIV boards all seem like its full of people who quit ffxi in 2005 and then all touch each others naughty areas bad mouthing it and agreeing with each other.

Like Vawn says, /nin and definately nin is not broken. Also it's relatively well known by the better players that a full party of /nins is less efficient than dd's subbing dd subjobs.
____________________________


#50 Aug 17 2009 at 8:04 PM Rating: Default
Repressed Memories
******
20,804 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Like Vawn says, /nin and definately nin is not broken. Also it's relatively well known by the better players that a full party of /nins is less efficient than dd's subbing dd subjobs.

Yes it is broken. A defensive mechanic whereby players regularly mitigate all incoming damage is stupidly broken. Most MMORPGs, including FFXI, are not built to handle such a mechanic. It becomes impossible to scale encounters You need to scale mob damage to make encounters increasingly difficult for traditional tanks, but that has almost no effect on blink tanks. If you attempt to scale attack speed for blink tanks then you aren't increasing the difficulty so much as the risk.

Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered. It means something doesn't mesh well with the game mechanics.
#51 Aug 18 2009 at 6:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Allegory wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Like Vawn says, /nin and definately nin is not broken. Also it's relatively well known by the better players that a full party of /nins is less efficient than dd's subbing dd subjobs.

Yes it is broken. A defensive mechanic whereby players regularly mitigate all incoming damage is stupidly broken. Most MMORPGs, including FFXI, are not built to handle such a mechanic. It becomes impossible to scale encounters You need to scale mob damage to make encounters increasingly difficult for traditional tanks, but that has almost no effect on blink tanks. If you attempt to scale attack speed for blink tanks then you aren't increasing the difficulty so much as the risk.

Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered. It means something doesn't mesh well with the game mechanics.


I hear what your saying, but /nin doesn't help as much as you think thar.

Shadows are wiped with any AoE magic, and the recast on Utsusemi is enough to balance the mechanic. It's also pretty widely known that ninja tanks can't hold hate for jack. If all is what you say it is in FFXI, EVERYONE would sub ninja regardless of job and paladin tanks would be obsolete.

The ONLY situation with many /nins is a merit party, and even then its HIGHLY preferred to merit with a bunch of 2 handed weapon uses subbing /sam.

You guys are probably remembering FFXI from when dual wielders /nin were king, but after a large 2-hander buff a while ago that made 1.5 dex = 1 Acc and 1.5 Str = 1 Att, Sams Drgs and G.axe Wars are the merit party champs and only gain 3 shadows from /nin, but from /sam gain Hasso (Increased acc + 10% haste on 2 handed weapons), Seigan/Third Eye (1-5 Shadows) which unlike Utsusemi will block all hits of a multi-hit attack like Pecking Flurry from Colibri, and Meditate (when subbed instant 60 TP).

So really, You are thinking of FFXI in a very old mentality and while you'll still see people using /nin because they're lazy, in anything that matters you'll most likely see real sub jobs.

Also, even for soloing /nin is a dinosaur. Dancer is the new solo subjob. Sam/Dnc, Pld/Dnc, Nin/Dnc, etc use tp for curing themselves.

Sorry for the long as **** post, but if /nin was broken you wouldn't be allowed to go to events without it, and I never attend an event subbing ninja except on Ranger.
____________________________


« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)