Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Hey! SE!? Grt. Katana's need to be a lite armor class. Follow

#1 Aug 27 2009 at 11:55 AM Rating: Default
*
140 posts
...fast with the hands. And lite on their feet. No more of the medieval japan hvy type armor like in ffx11. ^^ Look foward to playing your masterpiece.

Thank you.

Edited, Aug 27th 2009 4:19pm by Rustyshield
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#2 Aug 27 2009 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
10 posts
I think we have rare case here...

of a NIN living in denial!!!
#3 Aug 27 2009 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
So you want the weapon without the rest of the flavor to go with it?

While I could see reason behind haveing the "ninja" weapons give you a more nondiscript leather of cloth armor look I expect something dark, sneeky and asian themed.
Even if the don't go with the more traditional bushi look for the katana there is little chance the outfit will not be heavly leaning twards it.
#4 Aug 27 2009 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
It's not that SAM couldn't wear light armor like MNK and NIN in FFXI, we just chose not to in most cases. From a historical perspective, SAM wore heavy armor in FFT, FFVI(cyan), FFX(technically no armor, but auron has high hp/def/str, low speed/acc), FFXI, and FFV. "Parivir" (SAMish) in FFTA2 are the only ones that couldn't.



FFX-2 SAM is just weird.

Quote:
So you want the weapon without the rest of the flavor to go with it?
He wants less this and more that.

Being a huge Shinsengumi fan, I don't really blame him for wanting awesome kimono/hakama, but I'd rather have both.

Edited, Aug 27th 2009 4:32pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#5 Aug 27 2009 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
398 posts
First pic is not allowing me to see it, something about use without permission. But I do know the differant images of the Samuri from history, besides family conections to Japan I am a big L5R rpg fan (not so much the cardgame) and have watched more than my share for Kurasawa films and anime. ;P

What I would realy like to see for this game though is something slightly off from historical standard, unless they intend to stick with a heavy armor type then it should remain the traditional armor. But to me the little bit of twohanded weilder pics we've seen look more like meduim armor, some plate some cloth or leather. I think reivisioning the classic armor and blending it with styles from Eorzea might produce a "SAM" feel for this new world that could be both very cool looking and more imersive.
#6 Aug 27 2009 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
The thing is that Samurai, traditionally, didn't wear heavy armor like the category is. It was made of leather, bamboo, reads and cloth. Furthermore, it was engineered to be highly flexible.

This is, of course, talking about the normal samurai (uses swords, doesn't use guns, MAYBE uses bows a little). All three weapons were considered the norm at one point, but swords are the most stereotypical weapon. And swords come with the heavy leather gear.

However, it "is" much, much heavier than a normal leather tunic. And, since games typically have cloth, light/leather and heavy as an option, Samurai usually get put in the last category.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#7 Aug 27 2009 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
398 posts
If I was going to get that nitpicky I'ed push to wear a big box and only shoot bows from horseback ;P

The two main classic images, at least seen most places outside of japan, are the "gentalman Samurai" wearing Kimono/Hakama with swords tucked in the Obi and the "warrior Samurai" in heavy armor as seen durring the Edo period ;) acting like a history snod just just makes you look like a snob :P and to some degree ideals are regional
#8 Aug 27 2009 at 1:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
try: http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/culture/samurai.html

bottom pic

Quote:
The thing is that Samurai, traditionally, didn't wear heavy armor like the category is. It was made of leather, bamboo, reads and cloth. Furthermore, it was engineered to be highly flexible.
They used iron/metal too! (mostly for breastplates and helms)
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#9 Aug 27 2009 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
Samurai Fantasy XIV, you know SE's gonna do it one way or another...
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#10 Aug 27 2009 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
140 posts
Yah, I want to see that Kimono/Hakama look but with different styles. Like Jin in samurai champloo, "The Seven samurai", Ninja scrolls and samurai jack. Keeps us lite, quick and fast.
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#11 Aug 27 2009 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
****
5,550 posts
I think he wants less this more this.

Ah, soul calibur, is there any question you can't solve ?

IMHO though, Samurai should have the heavy armor. I was smitten with delight at my AF on samurai in xi, and I think sure we could start out in a robe and some sandals, but later on when sh*t gets real we are going to need the heavy Smiley: nod

Edited, Aug 27th 2009 4:52pm by Tarub
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are ****-tarts.
#12 Aug 27 2009 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Tarub the Hand wrote:
I think he wants less this more this.

Ah, soul calibur, is there any question you can't solve ?

IMHO though, Samurai should have the heavy armor. I was smitten with delight at my AF on samurai in xi, and I think sure we could start out in a robe and some sandals, but later on when sh*t gets real we are going to need the heavy Smiley: nod
Is it weird that every time I try to read one of your posts I get completely distracted by the photo and can't remember what the **** I was going to say?


...


yay fellow samurai!


...


or something like that


...


walking away now


...


 
(  >_>) 
                              (  >_>) 
                                                            (  >_>) 
                                                                                          (  >_>) 
                                                                                                                        (  >_>) 
                                                                                                                                                      :3 
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#13 Aug 27 2009 at 4:19 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
Great Katanas need to be light armor like Plate Helmets need to be two handed weapons.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Aug 27 2009 at 4:37 PM Rating: Excellent
**
375 posts
Before the Edo period, they would test samurai armor breast plates by shooting them with a musket. If it didn't go through it was considered "acceptable." So ya, heavy armor does fit.

But a variety of looks would add some depth to the game, so a more causal kenpogi/hakama look could work in some circumstances.
#15 Aug 27 2009 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
****
5,550 posts
shintasama wrote:
Tarub the Hand wrote:
I think he wants less this more this.

Ah, soul calibur, is there any question you can't solve ?

IMHO though, Samurai should have the heavy armor. I was smitten with delight at my AF on samurai in xi, and I think sure we could start out in a robe and some sandals, but later on when sh*t gets real we are going to need the heavy Smiley: nod
Is it weird that every time I try to read one of your posts I get completely distracted by the photo and can't remember what the **** I was going to say?


...


yay fellow samurai!


...


or something like that


...


walking away now


...


 
(  >_>) 
                              (  >_>) 
                                                            (  >_>) 
                                                                                          (  >_>) 
                                                                                                                        (  >_>) 
                                                                                                                                                      :3 


You should read into the story over in the OOT, basically, she beat up a homeless jobless fat kid, and is half of the OOT's avatar/hero.
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are ****-tarts.
#16 Aug 27 2009 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Samurai in Final Fantasy games have typically always been a heavier class.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#17 Aug 27 2009 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Kirbster wrote:
Samurai in Final Fantasy games have typically always been a heavier class.
Are you calling me fat?

Quote:
You should read into the story over in the OOT, basically, she beat up a homeless jobless fat kid, and is half of the OOT's avatar/hero.
:O sounds like a winner, linkage!
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#18 Aug 27 2009 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
****
5,550 posts
shintasama wrote:
Kirbster wrote:
Samurai in Final Fantasy games have typically always been a heavier class.
Are you calling me fat?

Quote:
You should read into the story over in the OOT, basically, she beat up a homeless jobless fat kid, and is half of the OOT's avatar/hero.
:O sounds like a winner, linkage!


here
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are ****-tarts.
#19 Aug 27 2009 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
Tarub the Hand wrote:
shintasama wrote:
Kirbster wrote:
Samurai in Final Fantasy games have typically always been a heavier class.
Are you calling me fat?

Quote:
You should read into the story over in the OOT, basically, she beat up a homeless jobless fat kid, and is half of the OOT's avatar/hero.
:O sounds like a winner, linkage!


here
Reporting in, Captain.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)