Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Will FFXIV get a Chinese or Korean release?Follow

#1 Aug 27 2009 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
189 posts
It's a significant chunk of the market to leave out, I've heard most WoW players are Chinese anyways. Seems like there's no plans for an Asian release though, but they are focused on Europe.

In China piracy is rampant so the only reliable way to make money is subscriptions. The PSP is a huge success though, so hardware sales are still happening. High income Chinese have a need for a good blueray player too (with all the bluerays being pirated heh).

So realistically I figure S-E will ignore the Asian market.

But do any of you think that's a bad idea? Or do you think Chinese would just mean rampant RMT
#2 Aug 27 2009 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
**
456 posts
Quote:
It's a significant chunk of the market to leave out, I've heard most WoW players are Chinese anyways. Seems like there's no plans for an Asian release though, but they are focused on Europe.

In China piracy is rampant so the only reliable way to make money is subscriptions. The PSP is a huge success though, so hardware sales are still happening. High income Chinese have a need for a good blueray player too (with all the bluerays being pirated heh).

So realistically I figure S-E will ignore the Asian market.

But do any of you think that's a bad idea? Or do you think Chinese would just mean rampant RMT


Thats how SE conduct their business, and I think thats why, when SE was asked was they striving for WoW numbers, they answered "No, those numbers are insane" (something similar to that on one of the early interviews) and they just wanted to make a successful game. WoW has roughly 11.5 million subscribers and 6.5- 7 million of them are from WoW Asia (meaning china/korea). So, 2/3rds (roughly) of WoW subcribers are in a market (asia) ffxi was not in. I'm not knocking WoW or anything, just going by the latest numbers that were released. SE do not sell their games (or at least mmos), to asia and they understand and know what hit they are taking. I think SE is more on making the game their way (which includes who can play), rather then just worrying all about the money.

Once again i'm not taking a shot at WoW or anything, I would sell my game to Asia because that is the prime market for mmos. But, SE obviously has something personal against them or just simply doesn't want to sell them their game and thats their choice to make. I mean if you take the 6.5-7 million out of 11.5 million and the 4.5 million or so subscribers that are left is still a high number but not the godly numbers that people think of when they usually mention WoW and money.

When people ask will this game compete with WoW, the answer is of course no. The game will not even be in the same market as WoW, to even compete with it. Asia is the prime market for mmos right now, and if you are not in that market then you will not compete with WoW. SE knows this and I think thats why they already said that they were not going for WoW like numbers with this game. If they were then they would do everything possible to earn the most money, and by skipping the prime market for mmo's, that shows they are not really trying to compete.

I just wanted to comment on the competing vs WoW talk, because I seen it a lot on the threads.

Edited, Aug 27th 2009 9:00pm by HocusP
#3 Aug 27 2009 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
189 posts
At its height, FFXI was 5 million subscribers, yeah?

seems like an odd choice to purposefully leave out the Asian market though, they are already huge consumers of Japanese pop culture (music, games, shows, everything), and have similar taste in games (both love Monster Hunter on PSP) Though the lingering grudge against Japan could lead to PRC shenanigans on any potential Asian release.

#4 Aug 27 2009 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,084 posts
Considering all of the horrible Final Fantasy knockoffs that violate international copyright law coming from China and Korea, both Japan and SE are understandably kind of ****** at that particular demographic.

Their violations of copyright law are typically the primary reason the market is rarely targeted.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#5 Aug 27 2009 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
*
111 posts
No there will not have a Chinese or Korean release.

It is very difficult to do business with Chinese and too many stupid rules.

Did you see the Wow Chinese version ? They do not even have Wrath of Lich King release yet, because of Skeleton and bones.

The blood color changed to black, the stock pile of bones modified into sandbags, the forsaken with full skin lol.

There are no Wow Japan release. Korean do not even bother FFXIV where they have lineage 2, Aion, Ragnarok Online.. etc. Korean does hate Japanese Product more than any other places in the world.

____________________________
(Blm75 / Pup75 / Blu75 / Sch75/ Brd74 / Dnc67)
#6 Aug 27 2009 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
***
1,049 posts
Quote:
At its height, FFXI was 5 million subscribers, yeah?

seems like an odd choice to purposefully leave out the Asian market though, they are already huge consumers of Japanese pop culture (music, games, shows, everything), and have similar taste in games (both love Monster Hunter on PSP) Though the lingering grudge against Japan could lead to PRC shenanigans on any potential Asian release.

Something more along the lines of approaching 1 million. Mind you, during the time it entered the market, EverQuest was the most prominent MMO with only 400k subscribers. It was huge by those standards, but now it seems as if EQ is a small, forgettable MMO under the shadow of WoW and Korean-based MMOs.

For SE, leaving out the 'Asian' market is leaving out China and Korea, among others. Japan has poor relations with them in general. I'm not too shocked thinking that SE, a Japanese company, is the same way. It does mean missing out on millions of subscribers (especially as the Korean market is more along the lines of an old FFXI 'grindfest' style), but what might seem like a simple monetary decision to a third party like us, is probably a far different issue for a company like them. It takes a lot for a company to not want to release a game that would assuredly get them hundreds of thousands more subscribers relatively easily...
#7 Aug 28 2009 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,020 posts
Businesses also have to contract their game to China, if I recall--they can't just do their own business there. Blizzard contracted their game to The9 Limited, who hosted the servers and managed the whole system (they also a pay-for-time system, unlike the Blizzard-run areas).

But, guess what? When their contract ran out, Blizzard tried to switch to a different company (NetEase.com). The9 didn't like that, and has refused to turn over their server data to NetEase.

I haven't followed the story, so I don't know if there has been any resolution to this. But, because Blizzard is an outside company (and China doesn't give a rats *** about them), they were having trouble managing to ensure that players wouldn't have to START OVER with the new company.

Their only hope was for China to rule in favor of NetEase, which is also Chinese based.

Oh, did I mention that The9 took the oppurtunity to unveil their own MMO that actually USED STUFF STRAIGHT FROM WoW? Like, literally, it was many stolen components of different MMOs. And they were (rumor-alert) gonna use server data from their WoW accounts to continue in this game. So, those players were probably just gonna stay with the counterfeit game.

That is just one massive headache. Until SE is willing to deal with it, they'll stay out of China.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#8 Aug 31 2009 at 8:44 AM Rating: Decent
*
237 posts
I had come across this when I happened to look up some info about SE and came to realize that SE does actually have a presence in China.

January 2005 - Square Enix founded Square Enix (China) Co., Ltd (China), expanding their interests in the People's Republic of China (The company also has a controlling interest in Community Network Software Engine of Beijing, China which focuses on network middle-ware for gaming)

Tho it seems they cater to niche markets like middle-ware as mentioned.
#9 Sep 01 2009 at 4:06 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
HocusP wrote:


In China piracy is rampant so the only reliable way to make money is subsc
Thats how SE conduct their business, and I think thats why, when SE was asked was they striving for WoW numbers, they answered "No, those numbers are insane" (something similar to that on one of the early interviews) and they just wanted to make a successful game. WoW has roughly 11.5 million subscribers and 6.5- 7 million of them are from WoW Asia (meaning china/korea). So, 2/3rds (roughly) of WoW subcribers are in a market (asia) ffxi was not in. I'm not knocking WoW or anything, just going by the latest numbers that were released. SE do not sell their games (or at least mmos), to asia and they understand and know what hit they are taking. I think SE is more on making the game their way (which includes who can play), rather then just worrying all about the money.


Where is your proof of this? SE clearly caters to the JP market. Last I checked, the JP are Asian which just nullifies your argument in itself. I don't think for a second that that the majority of WoW players are Asian if you exclude the RMT population. I don't care who you are, literally everyone in the North America has heard of WoW even if they never played it themselves. That kind of brand name recognition is why so many NA players flock to it. It's like going to MCD's for a hamburger.

Quote:

Once again i'm not taking a shot at WoW or anything, I would sell my game to Asia because that is the prime market for mmos. But, SE obviously has something personal against them or just simply doesn't want to sell them their game and thats their choice to make. I mean if you take the 6.5-7 million out of 11.5 million and the 4.5 million or so subscribers that are left is still a high number but not the godly numbers that people think of when they usually mention WoW and money.


I believe more NA/EU players play WoW than Asian players once again removing RMT's out of the picture.



Edited, Sep 1st 2009 7:07pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#10 Sep 02 2009 at 2:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Where is your proof of this? [...] I believe more NA/EU players play WoW than Asian players once again removing RMT's out of the picture.


Don't ask for proof and then provide a similar opposing statement with no hard facts to back it up. Right now on WoW Census, they're estimating around 6.4 million users in the entire US/EU market. This is nearly half the total population currently boasted by Blizzard, which suggests the other half is in alternate markets, including the China/Korean market.

Stating that RMT's encompasses a large amount of the China market is also pretty short sighted. There are no accurate census' around to suggest actual numbers, but if you think RMT is only rampant in China, you're probably sorely mistaken. Remember...the NA/EU market must be exploited in the same market in order to offer the services. There's no way to transfer funds from continental server to continental server. That fact alone makes your comment fairly void of logic.

Another reason that a lot of online gaming companies stray from operating is China is due to the political juggling required to operate. Most of it is done through 3rd party distribution & hosting companies, and there's a lot of obligation to comply with political standards in the country. Blizzard has had to modify what it offers in China to get around these issues (ie. Undead race doesn't look undead, Pandara race cannot exist, reduction of blood/gore content, etc.). It's like releasing an entirely new game, which some companies just aren't interested in putting that much additional development time into the games to allow access to a partial market...especially in the beginning.

The bottom line is, SE (and any other MMO developer for that matter) is smarter to start from a more solid population for release, and EN, EU, and JP markets are solid ground for SE where their not only established, but have the ability to distribute and control the game as they see fit. There's no other way to do it in the beginning, and trying to bank on an alternate/new/etc. market for launch success is like putting one foot in the grave. Even WoW isn't released in all countries yet, and China's release wasn't until over half a year after the US release in November of 2004.
____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#11 Sep 02 2009 at 7:15 AM Rating: Good
**
456 posts
Quote:
Where is your proof of this?


http://www.mmodata.net/

Click on WoW on the left hand side and you can see the graph for yourself.

Quote:
Last I checked, the JP are Asian which just nullifies your argument in itself.


No when it refers to markets, Japan is Japan. "WoW Asia" directly refers to china and korea. That is the prime market for mmos (korea/china aka asia) and thats a market SE is and will not be in, because of personal reasons.

Edited, Sep 2nd 2009 11:20am by HocusP
#12 Sep 02 2009 at 12:55 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Ryneguy wrote:

Don't ask for proof and then provide a similar opposing statement with no hard facts to back it up. Right now on WoW Census, they're estimating around 6.4 million users in the entire US/EU market. This is nearly half the total population currently boasted by Blizzard, which suggests the other half is in alternate markets, including the China/Korean market.


Fair enough I suppose. I don't play WoW myself or truly care to follow it. I thought I was responding to an opinion based belief, my bad.

Quote:

Another reason that a lot of online gaming companies stray from operating is China is due to the political juggling required to operate. Most of it is done through 3rd party distribution & hosting companies, and there's a lot of obligation to comply with political standards in the country. Blizzard has had to modify what it offers in China to get around these issues (ie. Undead race doesn't look undead, Pandara race cannot exist, reduction of blood/gore content, etc.). It's like releasing an entirely new game, which some companies just aren't interested in putting that much additional development time into the games to allow access to a partial market...especially in the beginning.


So here is stupid question then. You claim the Chinese can't have undead mobs in the game that look like undead mobs. So my question is how do Chinese players especially the RMT get around all the undead mobs in FFXI? I don't recall any special edition of a Chinese version so again, how would RMT's be able to play a game not censored? I especially look forward to your answer on this question.

Quote:

The bottom line is, SE (and any other MMO developer for that matter) is smarter to start from a more solid population for release, and EN, EU, and JP markets are solid ground for SE where their not only established, but have the ability to distribute and control the game as they see fit. There's no other way to do it in the beginning, and trying to bank on an alternate/new/etc. market for launch success is like putting one foot in the grave. Even WoW isn't released in all countries yet, and China's release wasn't until over half a year after the US release in November of 2004.


You do realize some countries like England and Germany ban a lot of the games we have available in NA due to violence/gore issues. Manhunt 2 comes to mind. Granted FFXI and FFXIV don't look to be too violent or filled with gore. If you knew the history of FF like I do, you know how often FF games on the Nintendo platform were censored. Holy crosses, semi nude npcs, changing text from Hades/Holy to Death/White. These changes along with many others were mostly cosmetic. I suppose you'll claim that MMO's are different because of the updates and expansions.

So again I have to ask, if China is so strict about certain things, how do RMT play a game that hasn't been altered to fit their beliefs? Why do you think that SE hasn't released an Asian version of FFXI yet? Because the JP don't like the China/Korea or just hard to reprogram for?

Quote:

No when it refers to markets, Japan is Japan. "WoW Asia" directly refers to china and korea. That is the prime market for mmos (korea/china aka asia) and thats a market SE is and will not be in, because of personal reasons.


What personal reasons might these be? The racists attitude most JP have for Chinese people? If China/Korea was considered the heart of the MMO market, you'd think SE would want that piece of the pie. Or is SE just ****** at China because of all the pirated software over the years.


Edited, Sep 2nd 2009 4:00pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#13 Sep 02 2009 at 1:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
65 posts
my gl is Chinese and i remember her saying something about Chinese hating on Japanese for something they did to the Chinese people (look up your history “ the rape of nanking 1937-1938)

but in short i do believe its just the way Chinese conduct there business that SE don't agree with
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)