Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Keeping your FFXI Name!!Follow

#1 Aug 31 2009 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
556 posts

Found this on Joystiq. Surnames sounds intresting. Too bad my account was deleted by SE,I think I'll still get my name tho.

Good news for Final Fantasy XI players looking to make the jump into Final Fantasy XIV in 2010 -- you may be able to keep your existing FFXI character names in the upcoming title. At least, you will if Square Enix Producer Hiromichi Tanaka has his way. Tanaka and FFXIV Producer Sage Sundi were interviewed by the PlayStation Blog's Chris Morell at GamesCom 2009, when they were asked if name transfers between the Final Fantasy MMOs will be possible.

Tanaka said, "It hasn't been confirmed yet, but we would like to give incentives to the players. First of all, FFXI has 32 worlds, and they may have the same name across different worlds [...]. However, when we have FFXIV, we still don't know how many worlds there's going to be yet, but players might have the same name if they all move to the same world, so there may be conflicts."

Square Enix's solution, if implemented, is to have a surname system where players can keep their original name but pair it with something else unique in a surname. While the ability to import character names into FFXIV isn't confirmed, it's still good news that Square Enix is considering offering this to their long-time fans in Final Fantasy XI.

[Via Joystiq]
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#2 Aug 31 2009 at 1:44 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
I want to split my full character name into the main and sur name it's supposed to be though! >___<
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#3 Aug 31 2009 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Then you should go ahead and make a character without the surname ;)
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#4 Aug 31 2009 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
As long as surnames aren't required...

I don't know. Wouldn't it result in a lot of first name clones?

Sephiroth I/II/III/IV/V/IV.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#5 Aug 31 2009 at 2:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Well even if it is required, you could just start a new character with your old name as long as it's available. If it's not available, then you were out of luck anyway.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#6 Aug 31 2009 at 3:00 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Kachi wrote:
Then you should go ahead and make a character without the surname ;)
What I should really do is pick a character name that isn't 15 letters long so people will stop ******** XD
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#7 Aug 31 2009 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
524 posts
Don't think that would work. Be a ton of Cloud and various other FF names.
____________________________
<3My Beautiful daughter<3 ~9/26/2007~
Ex Army Gal 68W & 92G hoah

jtftaru wrote:
The Internet is full of nasty, snide little turds who (often in little cliques) use the anonymity of the Internet to manifest their unpleasant personalities towards others.
#8 Aug 31 2009 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
Quote:
I don't know. Wouldn't it result in a lot of first name clones?

Sephiroth I/II/III/IV/V/IV.

I also fear having too many players with the same name. It would take a bit away from the game IMO. Different variations in spelling are more than acceptable, and this is more perfume on the pig than is really needed IMO. Let's keep it in mind and flush out the other problems that will delay the beta XD.

I do think the surnames will be somewhat limited. Let's say a list of 40 or so names that you can add as a surname if your name is already taken. It would also be nice if you had the option of changing (or removing) your surname later, if they were implemented in this way. Kind of makes me wonder how the /tell system would work
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#9 Aug 31 2009 at 4:19 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
209 posts
I remember that when I tried to play FFXI, the name I wanted was taken. I was pretty dang upset. And it wasn't something like "Cloud" or "Sephiroth" or anything FF related.

I kind of hope they don't let players transfer their names over, but that is just me being selfish because I want a specific name.

But it's a new game. A fresh beginning.

On a separate note, I also hope that surnames are not required. It's not something I would choose to have or like being forced to have.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#10 Aug 31 2009 at 4:43 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,824 posts
I'm so gonna try and get Cloud McSephirothXIV
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#11 Aug 31 2009 at 5:25 PM Rating: Excellent
*
96 posts
No I am not going to name myself Winther again, seems kind of boring. Might try to come up with some japanes name that means something not really sure yet. Definitely not going for any obscure FFVII name like claud of XSephirthX.
#12 Aug 31 2009 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
**
829 posts
Finaa wrote:
I kind of hope they don't let players transfer their names over, but that is just me being selfish because I want a specific name.

But it's a new game. A fresh beginning.

I wanted to start FFXIV with a new name but the problem is, the FFXI community on your server gets to know you. If you ever want anyone to recognize you from FFXI, you need to keep your name. This will be even more important if they keep the same server names (which I hope they do).
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#13 Aug 31 2009 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I can proudly say that according to FFXIAH.com, I am the only LouIsCool in existence across all servers.
____________________________


#14 Aug 31 2009 at 8:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
Sounds a bit crappy, it'll be impossible to distinguish between people and keep track of everyone. Although, maybe it's just me and my bad memory.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#15 Aug 31 2009 at 8:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
209 posts
To be honest, I kind of feel that if they let everyone keep their names most people would do just that.

I feel that a lot of people are going to recognize and know other people and they'll immediately have friends, especially since I think that a majority of FFXIV players are going to be current or recently retired FFXI players.

I worry that I would go in there and no one would know me at all.

I feel like it will be my first day after transferring to a new school.

Edited, Sep 1st 2009 12:29am by Finaa
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#16 Aug 31 2009 at 8:41 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
556 posts
It's funny because Rombus was my main FFXI character. When I went over to WoW the name was taken. Now I could have went to a different server but I had friends on the server. I decided to do Rombus backwards and Submor was born. It would be cool if we could have surnames. Imagine if real families play they could all have the same surname. Or friends who decide to play together may want to have the same surname. FFXI is the only game that I know of that actually does in game weddings for players, add surnames to the mix. I know I'll have two characters Submor and Rombus both with the same surname. I think it's cool.
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#17 Aug 31 2009 at 8:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I can proudly say that according to FFXIAH.com, I am the only LouIsCool in existence across all servers.


Bwahaha, you're in for a rude awakening, sir.

The truth is that I've made characters named LouIsCool on all other servers. I never use them, and I've never allowed them to use the auction house, to escape detection. Their only purpose is to ensure that no one with the name LouIsCool will be played on that server.

Your days are numbered.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#18 Aug 31 2009 at 8:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
556 posts
Finaa wrote:
To be honest, I kind of feel that if they let everyone keep their names most people would do just that.

I feel that a lot of people are going to recognize and know other people and they'll immediately have friends, especially since I think that a majority of FFXIV players are going to be current or recently retired FFXI players.

I worry that I would go in there and no one would know me at all.

I feel like it will be my first day after transferring to a new school.

Edited, Sep 1st 2009 12:29am by Finaa


It all depends if the said people go to the same servers. They may have different server names and people will be going to a whole new set of servers. If they have the servers with the same name as FFXI servers and we have an option of choosing servers than yes something like this may happen. At the same time most retired FFXI are already resurfacing and regrouping, **** I've been in contact with half my old LS. So either way to some extent this is going to happen, and again it can all depend on the method of server placement. Hopefully we can choose.

And you should have no worries regardless, your gonna be too busy immersed in the world of Eorzea. :)
____________________________
Jayy Submor-Hyperion-Slash Flex
#19 Aug 31 2009 at 10:57 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
Why don't they just call the game FFXI-2; if they're going to let people keep their names.

Isn't this supposed to be a new game?
#20 Sep 01 2009 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
BJordan wrote:
Why don't they just call the game FFXI-2; if they're going to let people keep their names.

Isn't this supposed to be a new game?



Did you just make up that criteria?
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#21 Sep 01 2009 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
Louiscool wrote:
I can proudly say that according to FFXIAH.com, I am the only LouIsCool in existence across all servers.

I appear to be the only Ralrra as well. If that changes, I have a couple surnames picked out, most of which have to do with other Wookiee names.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#22 Sep 01 2009 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Ralrra the Flatulent wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I can proudly say that according to FFXIAH.com, I am the only LouIsCool in existence across all servers.

I appear to be the only Ralrra as well. If that changes, I have a couple surnames picked out, most of which have to do with other Wookiee names.


I can see it now:

Madclaw Ralrra



(Did I just make the nerdiest reference possible?)
____________________________


#23 Sep 01 2009 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,416 posts
Quote:
I wanted to start FFXIV with a new name but the problem is, the FFXI community on your server gets to know you. If you ever want anyone to recognize you from FFXI, you need to keep your name. This will be even more important if they keep the same server names (which I hope they do).

This can be resolved fairly easily using the Linkshell Community (or SE Portal) to link your character names or by using the server forums.
____________________________
Abort, Retry, Fail?
TeamAFK!

/equip Head Knowledge
You gain the latent effect of Power.
#24 Sep 01 2009 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Louiscool wrote:
Ralrra the Flatulent wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I can proudly say that according to FFXIAH.com, I am the only LouIsCool in existence across all servers.

I appear to be the only Ralrra as well. If that changes, I have a couple surnames picked out, most of which have to do with other Wookiee names.


I can see it now:

Madclaw Ralrra



(Did I just make the nerdiest reference possible?)

You did. I hadn't considered that one.

On the other hand, I could just use the one name I remember the game randomly generating for me when I first started:

Mischevious Frog Smiley: laugh
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#25 Sep 01 2009 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,457 posts
Quote:
Sephiroth I/II/III/IV/V/IV


I think if surnames are implemented, people will have more freedom with originality. They'd be able to come up with something that sounds cool to them without looking like a fanboi. Then again I can't let myself be bothered if someone names their character something so lame, really I'm just embarrassed for them and it's kinda their problem.

My mithra's name is Zanarkand. Is that bad?
____________________________
Hunter Avril
Rogue Ultra
Paladin Awhellnah
Mage Shantotto
Shaman Lakshmi
Faith (Valefor)

#26BJordan, Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 4:52 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Have you ever played a new MMO that let you transfer/keep your character name from an older title? Why should previous FFXI players get an advantage to be able to keep their names over people who didn't play or have cancelled? It's unfair. They seem to bent out of shape about getting people to go from FFXI to FFXIV. I wonder why.
#27 Sep 01 2009 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
BJordan wrote:
Kirbster wrote:
Did you just make up that criteria?


Have you ever played a new MMO that let you transfer/keep your character name from an older title? Why should previous FFXI players get an advantage to be able to keep their names over people who didn't play or have cancelled? It's unfair. They seem to bent out of shape about getting people to go from FFXI to FFXIV. I wonder why.
A japanese player took the name I wanted before FFXI came out in NA and I didn't whine about it.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#28 Sep 02 2009 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
977 posts
shintasama wrote:
BJordan wrote:
Kirbster wrote:
Did you just make up that criteria?


Have you ever played a new MMO that let you transfer/keep your character name from an older title? Why should previous FFXI players get an advantage to be able to keep their names over people who didn't play or have cancelled? It's unfair. They seem to bent out of shape about getting people to go from FFXI to FFXIV. I wonder why.
A japanese player took the name I wanted before FFXI came out in NA and I didn't whine about it.


Obviously you were older than 12 lol
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#29 Sep 03 2009 at 6:38 AM Rating: Default
isnt zanarkand a place in ffx? if it is then yea it sucks.
#30 Sep 03 2009 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
49 posts
BJordan wrote:

Have you ever played a new MMO that let you transfer/keep your character name from an older title? Why should previous FFXI players get an advantage to be able to keep their names over people who didn't play or have cancelled? It's unfair. They seem to bent out of shape about getting people to go from FFXI to FFXIV. I wonder why.


No, of course not, but that does not mean that FFXI characters have an advantage at all. If surnames were added to character names I'm sure new comers will be allowed them as well. Now, supposing that there is some FFXI player that has the exact same combination of names, with the exact same spelling, they still have to join FFXIV before you do. That is no different than having a player already take your single name to begin with. So, I ask you, where is the advantage?

I think the surnames are a good idea. Yes, there will be (mark my words) quite a bit of Cloud and Sephiroth use, but those people would have just spelled those names differently or added a random word/string of numbers to that name anyways. So they they named their character after a character that they like. More power to them. Who am I (or you for that matter) to take their freedom away because repetition irks me?
#31 Sep 03 2009 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
23,925 posts
I am currently looking for a new name. Even have a spiffy OoT Poll to help me along!

Soracloud will die with FFXI, I was never a huge fan of my fanboy name. In FFXIV I will start anew.
____________________________
Rochefort Dean ~ FFXIV ARR ~ Ultros ~ DoH all @ 50
Soracloud ~ FFXI ~ RIP

Beer Advocate

Friar Tuck wrote:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER.

#32 Sep 03 2009 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
His Excellency Soracloud wrote:
I am currently looking for a new name. Even have a spiffy OoT Poll to help me along!

I voted Trappist because you can't go wrong with monks. If you go with Trappist, you have to start as a Pugilist in FFXIV. Smiley: nod
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#33 Sep 03 2009 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
659 posts
I hope they do a surname type deal. I can finally have a character named Neithan the Wronged.
____________________________
Aggieland -> "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside out, you can't explain it."

Final Fantasy XIV: Neithan Turambar, Cactuar Server
Guild Wars 2: Level 80 Guardian Neithan Turambar Jade Quarry Server
WoW: Lvl 85 Shaman Friewyn Black Dragonflight Server (retired)
FFXI: Lvl 75 Dark Knight Neithan (retired many years ago)
LotRO: Lvl 30 Maethros (retired)
#34 Sep 04 2009 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
If they make surnames, I'm naming myself Bubbley Bernie.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#35 Sep 05 2009 at 4:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
813 posts
Sepicloud Vaankefka Squalltotto would be the full name of my fat, short, greasy, but somehow cute Lalafell with fashion designer discipline.
#36 Sep 07 2009 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
277 posts
The one and only.
____________________________
Wutang aka Whystler aka Unji
75SAM 75WAR 75NIN 75PLD 75BRD 65THF
SaNdOriA 10
#37 Sep 08 2009 at 4:55 AM Rating: Default
**
779 posts
SE should just word filter out their old character names. Same as they do with swear words. Because honestly, seeing someone run around with the name "Cloud" is alot more offense to me than seeing someone named "F*ck".
____________________________
Dreakon of Bismark
Drk90 Pld90 Cor90
Pirate Tea Party
#38 Sep 08 2009 at 9:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
I agree. I hate seeing people uncreative enough to use a name from an old FF game, especially if they suck. Just makes it worse.
#39 Sep 08 2009 at 9:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
49 posts
I just want to say that I really hate it when people use swords. Any type of sword too. (great swords, long swords, katanas etc.) The fact is they are played out and frankly I'm tired of it. The way they are used in game is not realistic either. That totally destroys my immersion. If SE knows what they're doing they'll turn away all the sword fanboys outright. The sheer existence of fanboys compensating their lack of manhood with "OmgUberswords" offends my sense of sight. Removal. It's the only way this game will be any good.

Now...The above is not my actual opinion, but just an example of how ridiculous people sound when they advocate the removal of user freedom because they find it annoying. Hey, maybe it is uncreative and over used, but I would never say a person shouldn't be able to do it. There are all sorts of people on MMO's, and there are bound to be some doing things you do not agree with. If you are incapable of dealing with that then maybe society, as a whole, is not for you.

...and no I won't be using any prior character names as my own.

Edited, Sep 8th 2009 12:59pm by waveren
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)