Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Mac UsersFollow

#1 Sep 03 2009 at 7:49 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Will FFXIV run on the Mac?

I'm sorry if this was posted before, I didn't see any mention.
#2 Sep 03 2009 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
*
242 posts
Nope. No Mac. Sorry.
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#3 Sep 03 2009 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
283 posts
This is the third time question has been asked on a thread.

Same answer. No. But don't despair.. Bootcamp <Do you have it>
or Parallels.
____________________________


#4 Sep 03 2009 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I'm new to Mac, what is Bootcamp?
#5 Sep 03 2009 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
DudeManGildas wrote:
I'm new to Mac, what is Bootcamp?
Fake windows

EDIT: More specifically, Bootcamp is a program that allows people that want to be able to run all the programs and services that the rest of the world uses to do so, while still letting them get charged an arm and three legs for a pretty case.

Edited, Sep 4th 2009 3:22am by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#6 Sep 03 2009 at 10:53 PM Rating: Decent
27 posts
bootcamp is the only way to make a mac do something decent
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI: Ragnarok server - Spikie - WAR75|DNC75|NIN37|SAM32|BRD24||ZM14|CoP4.2|ToAU22|Rank 10|WoTG 2-3
Final Fantasy XIV: Coming Soon...
#7 Sep 03 2009 at 11:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
OP:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?game=268;mid=1250904442270741840#m1250904637167752111
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#8 Sep 04 2009 at 3:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
737 posts
Boot Camp allows you to install windows on an intel mac machine. It is not fake windows. You can boot natively from a windows OS or run windows and OS X at the same time. It is better to boot natively into windows instead of running 2 OS's. Less system resource strain.

Professor shintasama wrote:
EDIT: More specifically, Bootcamp is a program that allows people that want to be able to run all the programs and services that the rest of the world uses to do so, while still letting them get charged an arm and three legs for a pretty case.


It's just not about a pretty case. Mac is about the architecture of the hardware and OS. OS X is far superior of an OS compared to any Windows. Simply because it was made to talk to the hardware and be optimized for it.

Mac & PC's have their strengths and weakness. A PC far excels at gaming & customizing and the mac will always be behind. Mac's excel at graphic design, video, 3d, and sound engineering. Sure you can do those on a PC but the bugs you come across will slow you extremely down, and get annoying. Office work on a PC wins.

With the advent of the apple store. An added 3 year warranty means free face to face tech support and repairs. Walk in the store and you know you won't pay a dime. The best thing is if your machine becomes not fixable you get a free replacement which is the newest model available. So 2 years later your machine takes a dump. Take it in and get the newest model free. They transfer everything over to it. For the PC illiterate it's a win win situation.



____________________________
#9 Sep 04 2009 at 6:13 AM Rating: Decent
Displace wrote:
Boot Camp allows you to install windows on an intel mac machine. It is not fake windows. You can boot natively from a windows OS or run windows and OS X at the same time. It is better to boot natively into windows instead of running 2 OS's. Less system resource strain.

Professor shintasama wrote:
EDIT: More specifically, Bootcamp is a program that allows people that want to be able to run all the programs and services that the rest of the world uses to do so, while still letting them get charged an arm and three legs for a pretty case.


It's just not about a pretty case. Mac is about the architecture of the hardware and OS. OS X is far superior of an OS compared to any Windows. Simply because it was made to talk to the hardware and be optimized for it.

Mac & PC's have their strengths and weakness. A PC far excels at gaming & customizing and the mac will always be behind. Mac's excel at graphic design, video, 3d, and sound engineering. Sure you can do those on a PC but the bugs you come across will slow you extremely down, and get annoying. Office work on a PC wins.

With the advent of the apple store. An added 3 year warranty means free face to face tech support and repairs. Walk in the store and you know you won't pay a dime. The best thing is if your machine becomes not fixable you get a free replacement which is the newest model available. So 2 years later your machine takes a dump. Take it in and get the newest model free. They transfer everything over to it. For the PC illiterate it's a win win situation.





You don't have to be PC illiterate either. Sometimes you just get ******* fed up with your PC's taking dumps on you and don't want to fix it. I've got a Mac and a PC. Love them both for different reasons, but other than the initial huge investment I made in a Mac, its been less hassle to deal with.

I don't think I'd run the new ff on it though. That's probably going to be installed on my pc :P
____________________________
Bst 75, Rdm 75
#10 Sep 04 2009 at 8:03 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Mac can play games? I mean, I knew they had flying toaster sprite technology but wow, talk about a surprise.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#11 Sep 04 2009 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
Quote:
Mac's excel at graphic design, video, 3d, and sound engineering.
It's great at everything I don't care about! Alright!


Maybe I'm just obscenely lucky, but my current homemade PC hasn't "taken a dump" on me in the 6yrs I've had it, as opposed to my friend's macs which seem to crash every time I go over there (which I always get a kick out of since a couple of them are fanatical mac supporters). I've also never had the desire to run a mac OS on my computer (although I've considered linux, but it's too much work), while everyone I know with a mac uses bootcamp on a regular basis. I could get a warranty/service plan if I wanted I guess (there are plenty of computer repair places around), but I purposefully got a case that was easy to work on, which has the added benefit of being easy to upgrade so if I want to be top of the line every 2 years I undo 2 screws, switch out components and have a "new" computer for <200$ (as opposed to ridiculous amounts for a top of the line mac). But most importantly, everything I've ever wanted to run is available and just runs with no hassle.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#12 Sep 04 2009 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
14 posts
Quote:
It's great at everything I don't care about! Alright!


I guess the whole world revolves around you then?

You know for someone who is pointing the finger at 'fanatical mac supporters' you seem to fit right into the opposite side. Mac...PC... they are both computers. Get over yourself. They both have pros and cons just like almost every thing else in life.

Stop being an idiot.
____________________________
Fyfe
BRD / RNG / WHM
Shiva
#13 Sep 04 2009 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Mac & PC's have their strengths and weakness. A PC far excels at gaming & customizing and the mac will always be behind. Mac's excel at graphic design, video, 3d, and sound engineering. Sure you can do those on a PC but the bugs you come across will slow you extremely down, and get annoying. Office work on a PC wins.


Not anymore, buddy.

PCs have pretty much been closing that gap for years. And Macs are rarely used for 3D applications in favor of PCs. Mac crashes are pretty much just as common as PC crashes, (and with XP at the absolute peak of stability lately, I haven't had it crash in years, even when using Aftereffects/Zbrush/Maya/Photoshop.) With what I've experienced with 64-bit W7, I'm honestly never going back to a mac for working with media again.

The only real pro I can think of with Macs is that they share the console appeal. You don't have to worry about the inner workings so much.

Edited, Sep 4th 2009 2:57pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#14 Sep 04 2009 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
Displace wrote:

Professor shintasama wrote:
EDIT: More specifically, Bootcamp is a program that allows people that want to be able to run all the programs and services that the rest of the world uses to do so, while still letting them get charged an arm and three legs for a pretty case.


It's just not about a pretty case. Mac is about the architecture of the hardware and OS. OS X is far superior of an OS compared to any Windows. Simply because it was made to talk to the hardware and be optimized for it.


You do realize that since the introduction of the Intel models, Macs run on the exact same hardware as windows computers?

The only real difference is that Apple has ditched BIOS for EFI.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#15 Sep 04 2009 at 4:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
737 posts
Those that work with Macs (at work) most likely use vendors/printshops/ad agencies that use macs also. In the creative field it's been the norm since the beginning. I haven't touched 3d in 10 years (I shouldn't of commented). Still yeah they cost an arm and a leg. But the fact still remains apple is the only company providing custom hardware, software, OS built for each other. If you do routine maintanance on a mac or PC they will run to their pontential and be up almost the same time. However a mac has an edge do to the limited hardware being tested with the OS more often. More time to fix bugs and get ahead. Most don't do jack when it comes to maintenance. Especially mac users are clueless but that's the way apple wants them to be. Especially from the commercials.

The majority of the population don't custom build PC's yet alone want to fix it. That is the point I was trying to make why people choose macs these days. There really is no PC support. Being able to walk into a place that is the company that built your pc and trusting them is priceless. I trust computer techs like I trust mechanics... I don't. This is a game forum so of course most of the people here can keep their machine running and custom build. And in the younger demographic. Just because you can doesn't mean it's the majority.

Kirbster I've heard great things about W7. I plan on building a custom PC next year. I'll never buy a Mac Tower again that's for sure. When I can custom build a sweet PC Gaming/Work Station and get a mac laptop for the same price. I can't ditch mac simply because of everyone I work with. It's just easier and I don't do processor intensive things. Just alot of vector design with some bitmap.

Pickens wrote:
You do realize that since the introduction of the Intel models, Macs run on the exact same hardware as windows computers?


Graphics Cards have to be apple firmware/bios flashed. Ones that already flashed cost an arm and a leg. Upgrading the CPU? What's the point when you can't safely overclock it. And over clocking a mac makes it unreliable and buggy. If it was truly the exact same hardware I would be able to put PC parts in my mac... not going to happen (besides Ram, Hard drive, optical drive)... I wish. I'm really surprised apple hasn't started hard wiring components. To keep tinkerers out. IT is apple after all. And it seems the older they get the tighter their clinch becomes. Which really grinds my gears.

Mac's are simple but cost alot and have few expensive upgrade paths.
PC's a little more complicated (tinker friendly) but cost less and have a plethora of paths for upgrades.

I still run the last PPC G5 Mac model. Talk about ancient. And it will run OS9! I miss classic OS and all the 17 megs of memory it took to make it run...

I guess that's why these days I am more interested in PC's. Since I love to tinker with stuff and learn. But the majority want it easy and simple.

I would never ever run a game on mac. Even the bootcamp windows version will be better then the OS X.
And I am so ****** that I miss out on awesome games and MMO's! My PC is not worth the upgrade (ancient socket type).

I really thought my original post came off as an informative post that was objective instead of subjective.

____________________________
#16 Sep 04 2009 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
633 posts
Professor shintasama wrote:
DudeManGildas wrote:
I'm new to Mac, what is Bootcamp?
Fake windows

EDIT: More specifically, Bootcamp is a program that allows people that want to be able to run all the programs and services that the rest of the world uses to do so, while still letting them get charged an arm and three legs for a pretty case.

Edited, Sep 4th 2009 3:22am by shintasama


Yes you can run FFXIV from your Mac.

The above is just more disinformation spread from the Microsoft camp.

Bootcamp simply allows you to make a separate Partition and boot up Windows XP/Vista, Linux, etc etc NATIVELY on your Mac, no emulation etc. (Often much faster than most of the plastic POS Desktops and Laptops at the same pricepoint mind you). Bootcamp is also FREE, you can download it from apple.com.

My $900 (ZOMG! Ima millionarze!) Macbook Unibody screams with most Windows Based Games, it also has no problem pushing FFXI on to my Panny 42" Plasma over Ethernet of all things. My "Useless pricey shiny laptop" has HDMI out as well, but streaming video over Ethernet is just too easy to pass up for me personally.

If you have a copy of Windows, just download Bootcamp and install it. It will repartition your machine without you having to format your whole machine over again like other OSs require. Then you just boot up and go through the normal 1 hour XP/Vista install, Driver fixing, Service pack installations, Critical Windows Updates, tinkering with your network settings, ******** around with video drivers and 1-2 hours spent installing anti-virus and disabling potentially harmful services. Since your new OS will be booted natively (Just hold down the Option key when booting) there is absolutely nothing different about your mac than other PCs. Just prepare to **** off the plastic Dell users because your well built machine can use their stuff and is not a $1000 laptop/desktop with $200 of Chinese parts inside it.

My Unibody has a Geforce 9400 (512MB) in it, we have yet to see a detailed recommended system spec sheet for FFXIV, so its all up in the air right now, but I am guessing I will be able to run FFXIV on Medium settings which is just fine for me while I am half way around the world using my "Pretty case" to make presentations.

Oops forgot to add this:
*Fingers in ears and tongue out* lol =)

Edited, Sep 4th 2009 8:31pm by patient
____________________________
"BSTito, ergo erat..." (I BST, therefore I was.) -Rennne Decarrtee, Mithran Philosopher
#17 Sep 04 2009 at 6:44 PM Rating: Decent
I can't decide to be more sad that you're proud that your mac runs a 7 year old game, or that you bought and installed two OS when you could just be using windows?

"$900 (ZOMG! Ima millionarze!)"- you can get cheapish macs, but you can get better performance/$ from PC (popping stats from unibody into newegg produced several better PCs under 700$, plus you're paying for another copy of windows on top of that $900 right?)




side note: I totally agree that Dells are pieces of crap though, but that's a problem with the manufacturer not the OS lol
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#18 Sep 04 2009 at 9:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Patient wrote:
My $900 (ZOMG! Ima millionarze!)


I guess $400.00 makes all the difference in the world:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs wrote:
We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk.
____________________________
#19 Sep 05 2009 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
******
48,703 posts
patient wrote:
My $900 (ZOMG! Ima millionarze!) Macbook Unibody screams with most Windows Based Games, it also has no problem pushing FFXI on to my Panny 42" Plasma over Ethernet of all things
You're boasting that your $900 Mac runs a program that a $300 used eMachines could run with no problem?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#20 Sep 05 2009 at 5:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
I can't decide to be more sad that you're proud that your mac runs a 7 year old game, or that you bought and installed two OS when you could just be using windows?


Well given one of the OS is so much more fun to work with, especially for presentations, I'd easily have 2 OS on a single machine if it meant I only had to use Windows for gaming.

And not all purchases are about performance only. There comes a sense of well-being from owning a device that concentrates on the end user experience. Apple keyboards have the best tactile responses I've ever had in a keyboard. The trackpads have great intuitive motions. The screens are beautiful. The appearance and weight are far more appealing than most clunky PC laptops.

It's not always about what's under the hood. I could get many American built cars with more power under the hood than my BMW, but I wouldn't want to drive any of them over my BMW.

Form and function can go together and be pleasing.

All that aside, I wold assume FFXIV will need to be run in Boot Camp or Parallels, which will require getting the Windows OS and installing it on your mac. As a Mac and 360 owner, I'm kinda left out in the cold by SE unfortunately. Deciding on whether to buy a $200 OS or a $300 console will be the decision I'll likely have to make.

Here's a question: If you only run bootcamp windows for FFXIV and never do anything else while in that OS, would you need to install Antivirus software? I don't see how viruses and trojans coming from the Mac side could get to the PC side, but I'm not that sophisticated a computer guy.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#21 Sep 05 2009 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Here's a question: If you only run bootcamp windows for FFXIV and never do anything else while in that OS, would you need to install Antivirus software? I don't see how viruses and trojans coming from the Mac side could get to the PC side, but I'm not that sophisticated a computer guy.


No. Just install noscript and adblock on firefox and you're good to go.

****, I haven't installed anti-virus software on my personal machines for years now. They're bloated pieces of crap.

Quote:
Apple keyboards have the best tactile responses I've ever had in a keyboard.


Haha, no. Clearly you're not familiar with the spectacular Model M. Amazingly durable, wonderful to work with, the best response you'll find in any keyboard. Greatest keyboard model ever built. All of the keyboards built today feel so horribly cheap. Apple keyboards included.

I've been using a Model M built in the late 80s. It has seen intense everyday usage for at least a good 15 years, and the keys haven't even faded.


Also, as to your predicament, if you're not a computer person, go with the PS3.

Edited, Sep 5th 2009 1:48pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#22 Sep 05 2009 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,046 posts
Some of the people in this thread are ridiculous.

To go back to the OP: No. FFXIV is not coming to Mac at this time.

I like Mac; I use a Mac. I'd like to have XIV for Mac. PCs are cool. I don't prefer PCs, but that's chill. In the mean time, I'd really like XIV for Mac. And no, it hasn't been announced (yet?).

Done.

Furthermore:

Quote:
I've been using a Model M from the late 80s.

Having seen this type of keyboard in my boss's office: It shows.

#23 Sep 05 2009 at 12:51 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
The style, or the infinitely superior craftsmanship?
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#24 Sep 05 2009 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,046 posts
Kirbster wrote:
The style, or the infinitely superior craftsmanship?


The former.
#25 Sep 05 2009 at 12:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
Well, I suppose I'd rather have something that works and feels the best than looks nice.

As a professional digital and traditional artist, buying something that's style over substance is akin to buying brushes built with expensive wood instead of good bristles.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#26 Sep 05 2009 at 1:02 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,046 posts
Kirbster wrote:
Well, I suppose I'd rather have something that works and feels the best than looks nice.

As a professional digital and traditional artist, buying something that's style over substance is akin to buying brushes built with expensive wood instead of good bristles.


I'd beg to differ.

If my environment looks drab, my productivity plummets. A clunker of a keyboard that turns a dusty-orange as the years go by? With hard curves and protruding keys that get right up in your face? That'd bother me. I need something smooth and elegant to slip gently into the background so that it won't interfere with my work—not something that begs to catch my attention.

Furthermore: As an artist myself, that's a terrible example. You can't exactly paint—with a tablet or brush—by looking at your brush in its entirety. You cast your eyes to where the bristles meet the canvas. The brush or stylus become an extension of your hand and you really, after the first two minutes, begin to not even notice it.
#27 Sep 05 2009 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:

Furthermore: As an artist myself, that's a terrible example. You can't exactly paint—with a tablet or brush—by looking at your brush in its entirety. You cast your eyes to where the bristles meet the canvas. The brush or stylus become an extension of your hand and you really, after the first two minutes, begin to not even notice it.


I fail to see how this is relevant at all in relation to my analogy, but okay.

My point was that the wood, however expensive or pretty, is a largely non-functional portion of the brush. Since, as you say, it becomes an extension of the hand, all that matters is how it feels, not how it looks.


And about the keyboard, personal tastes, I guess. I find it wonderfully industrial chic.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#28 Sep 05 2009 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
209 posts
As far as Macs being superior for 3D design, I just want to mention that the #1 3D design and animation software for video games (Maya is used more for movies), Autodesk 3ds Max, can't even run on a Mac (without emulating Windows)

It's for Windows only.

Myth: Macs never get viruses.
Truth: Macs can get viruses...there are just not as many viruses that affect Macs as there are that affect Windows.

Myth: Macs never crash.
Truth: Macs DO crash. We have over 100 Macs where I work, but several hundred PCs. Part of my job is to fix problems any computer is having. Macs do freeze and they do crash.

For me, Windows is far more intuitive. When I first began my job I hadn't used a Mac in years, and there are so many simple things that I couldn't figure out how to do.

For example: renaming a file.

I had no idea how the heck to do this at first.

I can see some reasons to use a Mac, sure. For some, they are more aesthetically pleasing. Not for me. I would rather have a PC that I can customize, dismantle, easily remove and replace parts, add neat things like LEDs, bay devices, CCFLs, etc.

I've never seen, or heard of, a custom Mac chassis (but I guess that doesn't mean they don't exist).

I like to play around with my computer, and as far as I know, a Mac can't really offer that.

I guess if you want a Mac for aesthetics and better security, and you don't mind spending extra money, then go for it.

But remember that a lot of software and games aren't going to run on a Mac OS and you'll have to run a Windows OS anyway.

And if you want a computer that looks like a Mac but isn't one, heck, you can just customize your PC chassis! (Or make something that looks a million times better)
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#29 Sep 05 2009 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
And if you want a computer that looks like a Mac but isn't one, heck, you can just customize your PC chassis! (Or make something that looks a million times better)


A buddy of mine actually took a G5 case and made it into a PC for kicks. It was awesome.


And people, let's not be downrating perfectly civil posts. I mean, really now.

Edited, Sep 5th 2009 2:24pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#30 Sep 05 2009 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Finaa wrote:
sed alot...


Well Macs are not for people who like to mess around with hardware and do soldering work or build a homemade watercooling system or overclock the computer so it runs at 120 deg. C or mess around in the registry to get programmes to work.

Macs are for people who wants a computer that works with an intuitive and easy to use ("next-gen") OS.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#31 Sep 05 2009 at 4:53 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
209 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
Finaa wrote:
sed alot...


Well Macs are not for people who like to mess around with hardware and do soldering work or build a homemade watercooling system or overclock the computer so it runs at 120 deg. C or mess around in the registry to get programmes to work.

Macs are for people who wants a computer that works with an intuitive and easy to use ("next-gen") OS.


I can't imagine a computer running at 120 degrees Celsius to begin with.
Most computers will automatically shut off at about 70-80 Celsius to avoid damage...

Messing around with the registry to get programs to work? I've have never, once, had to do that to get a legitimate program to run on my computer.
Maybe if the program was obtained illegally, or poorly made, then I can imagine someone trying to mess around with something that should not be messed around with. (This is usually why a lot of Windows OS machines 'randomly' crash. Someone touches something they shouldn't have and didn't know what they were doing.)

As far as Macs being intuitive, I have to disagree. Perhaps it is because I have been using Windows for most of my life...but as I mentioned in a previous post, I work as a pc tech and customer service rep at a medical college. I have to handle both Windows and Mac computers around the campus.
But it's also a customer service job. If anyone (a student, a faculty member, a staff member, a doctor, a resident, a member of the general public) has a computer problem they come to, or call, me or one of my co-workers.

Since maybe 1/6 or 1/5 of the computers that we manage are Macs, a lot of people have questions on how to use them. In fact, the number of questions we get for Macs is about the same as the number for Windows, yet we have a lot more Windows machines. People also tend not to use Macs unless we only have a program installed in a room that only has Macs in it and they must use one.

It's always simple things like:
How do I rename a file?
How do I find a program?
How do I get to the internet?
How do I put in a CD? (Get this one a lot)
and so on...

I find Windows very easy to use and very intuitive.
Most of the people that go to the school I work at do too.
Most have a lot of trouble using a Mac.

If the Mac OS is so intuitive and easy to use, then why isn't it as popular and widely used as Windows?

Edited, Sep 5th 2009 8:55pm by Finaa
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#32 Sep 05 2009 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
******
48,703 posts
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#33 Sep 05 2009 at 7:12 PM Rating: Good
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
lol
Screenshot





Also, I've never had any trouble with any of the Dell computers in the office. Generally you'll find that it isn't the operating system, it's the idiot sitting in the chair.

"ZACK Y I KANT HEER SOUND?" "Because you uninstalled the sound card drivers, you dunce."
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#34 Sep 05 2009 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
209 posts
Zackary wrote:

Also, I've never had any trouble with any of the Dell computers in the office. Generally you'll find that it isn't the operating system, it's the idiot sitting in the chair.

"ZACK Y I KANT HEER SOUND?" "Because you uninstalled the sound card drivers, you dunce."


QFT.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#35 Sep 05 2009 at 7:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,046 posts
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
lol
Screenshot





Also, I've never had any trouble with any of the Dell computers in the office. Generally you'll find that it isn't the operating system, it's the idiot sitting in the chair.

"ZACK Y I KANT HEER SOUND?" "Because you uninstalled the sound card drivers, you dunce."


I didn't realize being *** was "bad news."
#36 Sep 05 2009 at 7:48 PM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I didn't realize being *** was "bad news."


It is if you're straight!

lolparadox
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#37 Sep 05 2009 at 9:53 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Thank you for all the help.
#38 Sep 05 2009 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
152 posts
Let's see I've had a super duper old macbook that my dad used to work on, then gave to me. Over the years I didn't really treat it nice, it has dents and the cd/dvd drive broke because I smashed my fist on it a couple times. It fell a couple of feet multiple times. But that doesn't even compare to the sh*t I did on it. ****/whatever. For 5 years it ran just dandy, until my mom broke it by brute force.

Now lets look at my cousins, who bought two PCs from bestbuy. I am not using hyperbole, both of those laptops broke down multiple times, and each have gotten replaced four times.


What you peeps don't realize is that fact that the majority of pc/mac users don't know anything about computers. While you people might clean out you hardrives on a regular basis, the average person wouldn't even know how. This is where macs > pcs. Anyways, with bootcamp macs can run anything (probably not at crysis max setting, but how many of you can do that anyway?)

Edited, Sep 6th 2009 3:03am by kikyuras
#39 Sep 05 2009 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
kikyuras wrote:
What you peeps don't realize is that fact that the majority of pc/mac users don't know anything about computers. While you people might clean out you hardrives on a regular basis, the average person wouldn't even know how. This is where macs > pcs.
I don't get that logic, though. You have to try to **** up a computer, whether or not it's a Mac or PC makes no difference. If you're a stupid ****, your computer is doomed no matter what.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#40insanekangaroo, Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 12:35 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) It. You're an indoctrinated windows fanboy.
#41 Sep 06 2009 at 1:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
633 posts
Professor shintasama wrote:
I can't decide to be more sad that you're proud that your mac runs a 7 year old game, or that you bought and installed two OS when you could just be using windows?

"$900 (ZOMG! Ima millionarze!)"- you can get cheapish macs, but you can get better performance/$ from PC (popping stats from unibody into newegg produced several better PCs under 700$, plus you're paying for another copy of windows on top of that $900 right?)




side note: I totally agree that Dells are pieces of crap though, but that's a problem with the manufacturer not the OS lol


You are right on actually.

I have a custom built rig I hand picked from Newegg back in 2005. It was "upper-middle" in terms of what was hot at the time in 2005. Watercooled, SLI, overclocked AMD with a mean Asus MB and a **** Lian-Li black case etc etc. It is still my "gaming rig" so to speak. I obviously have a lot more options when picking what to play with that, then with my Macbook.

I think my contention is more with people that walk into Bestbuy and grab a dell for $900 and thinking that running Crysis on Low settings with Shadows off makes them somehow superior to everyone else (Mac users). You nailed it though. If you have the means and knowledge to hand build a custom rig, a Mac is laughable in that respect, I totally agree.

However, Macs are just Intels now, but when looking over specs and price when considering a laptop it just could NOT be beat. I own an Art Gallery so of course count me as one of those "poo poo arty" types that Mac so desperately trys to market to, but it was not even 6 years ago when Mac users were sh*t out of luck when gaming was concerned. Gaming was absolutely an afterthought when regarding my new purchase I must admit, it came as a sudden surprise when I realized "Oh sh*t... its an Intel, I can actually play games with this!?".

Are they overpriced? Maybe yeah. Well designed, Absolutely. However, I have yet to find a PC that run OS X which means I cannot process 3500 1200DPI photoshop images into PDFs without having to let it sit for 2 weeks. I get the best of both worlds, so an "Extra $400" is worth the investment in terms of being able to use both platforms. Its just basic logic in my view. 1 thing is basically identical, a little more expensive yes, but can run two OSs, both of which I need. If I didnt have to travel so much I'd just use my gaming rig of course, a concept impossible to produce with Apple as many have stated above, but seems to work just fine with my mobile expensive shiny latop quite well.

Edited, Sep 6th 2009 4:29am by patient
____________________________
"BSTito, ergo erat..." (I BST, therefore I was.) -Rennne Decarrtee, Mithran Philosopher
#42 Sep 06 2009 at 3:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
It. You're an indoctrinated windows fanboy.

I have used both Mac and PC computers all my life, and currently use a PC. PCs do have their advantages being more customizable and better for games.

But saying that windows is more intuitive is wrong. Windows is build upon layers and layers of crap. Like hidden files, dll files which can get lost, the registry, completely bull sh*t popups, command promps, shared files and recently insanely bad security features, etc.
My favorite is when programs request dll files that older systems don't have, then people freak the **** out because they think they're computer is "broken" in some way and bring it in to the shop to have it fixed. (I work for Geek Squad.)

Nothing like getting paid to run through a process that takes like 5 minutes, and would only require a google search for any normal person to fix. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#43 Sep 06 2009 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
209 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:

But saying that windows is more intuitive is wrong. Windows is build upon layers and layers of crap. Like hidden files, dll files which can get lost, the registry, completely bull sh*t popups, command promps, shared files and recently insanely bad security features, etc.


I have to disagree with you here.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'layers and layers' of crap.

Hidden files are usually hidden for a reason.
They usually aren't meant to be moved, edited, or deleted unless you know what you're doing.
Hence, they are hidden. They are there if you need them, but you shouldn't unless you did something you weren't supposed to.

.dll files shouldn't be getting lost unless, again, you're doing something that you shouldn't be doing.

Like this

What's wrong with the registry exactly? As far as any normal user is concerned it should just be sitting there minding it's own business. Most users probably don't even know what it is, yet alone seen it or messed with it.

If by pop-ups you mean 'internet' pop-ups I don't see how this is related to Windows. If by Windows you mean, Internet Explorer, then I think it's fair to say that Firefox and other browsers get pop-ups as well.

The command prompt is a very useful tool. I can't imagine a case where running a cmd prompt could actually be a problem unless you're typing it something that you read on some random website to make your pc do something 'cool'.

What is wrong with shared files exactly? Sorry, I never use them because only myself and one other person use my computer...and they just use my login.

People know that Windows has security problems because most people use Windows. Therefore, people go out of their way to search for exploits so they can do things like steal credit card numbers and so forth.

If all major department stores, banks, and other large organizations that handle sensitive data began using Macs I can guarantee that people would begin looking (and finding) for exploits in the Mac OS.

One can argue that Windows has more 'problems' because it allows access to files that shouldn't be messed with. It's isn't Windows' fault that people go ahead and mess with them.

Most problems that occur on a Windows machine are PEBKAC or ID-10-T errors.

A gun store sells guns, but isn't responsible for what people do with them. They can use them for hunting, self defense, or murder.


Furthermore, I don't see how I am a Windows 'fanboy' just because "I have been using Windows most of my life".
That's like calling someone a breakfast fanboy because they eat breakfast almost every morning.

"But almost everyone eats breakfast every morning!"

And almost everyone uses Windows too.

I guess most computer users are Windows fanboys too then.
Let's just start calling everyone a fanboy.

I may as well add that I am also a bacon 'fanboy' and a mint chocolate chip ice cream 'fanboy'.

So if by intuitive you mean this, then that's fine too.
____________________________
Toasting makes me uncomfortable. But toast I love. Never start the day without a good piece of toast. In fact, let's toast to toast.
#44 Sep 07 2009 at 1:59 AM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
Finaa wrote:
Wall of text.
Whoa, nerd. Calm down. It's going to be okay.

Edited, Sep 7th 2009 6:00am by Zackary
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#45 Sep 08 2009 at 4:48 AM Rating: Good
**
779 posts
I just hope I can run it on Linux using Wine. That's how I play XI. I really hope SE is more willing to support other means of enjoying their games. I use Linux because I like Linux. Other people prefer other OS's or playing on consoles. I don't see why SE wont just let everyone play on what they prefer. They are going to make money regardless. Why not think of the customer? Oh wait, this is SE we are talking about...
____________________________
Dreakon of Bismark
Drk90 Pld90 Cor90
Pirate Tea Party
#46 Sep 09 2009 at 6:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
777 posts
Finaa wrote:
Since maybe 1/6 or 1/5 of the computers that we manage are Macs, a lot of people have questions on how to use them. In fact, the number of questions we get for Macs is about the same as the number for Windows, yet we have a lot more Windows machines. People also tend not to use Macs unless we only have a program installed in a room that only has Macs in it and they must use one.

It's always simple things like:
How do I rename a file?
How do I find a program?
How do I get to the internet?
How do I put in a CD? (Get this one a lot)
and so on...

How terrible with computers do you have to be to have problems with that on a MacOS? It's essentially identical to how you do those same tasks on Windows.

Click on the filename and type the new name... Same as in Windows
Use the ******* search box... Same as in Windows
Open the web browser you moron. There are other web browsers besides ******* Internet Explorer.

I'm pretty sure the people asking those questions fall in the category of "Help, I can't find the Any Key!"

PEBKAC

insanekangaroo wrote:

But saying that windows is more intuitive is wrong. Windows is build upon layers and layers of crap. Like hidden files, dll files which can get lost, the registry, completely bull sh*t popups, command promps, shared files and recently insanely bad security features, etc.

You do know that MacOS has tons and tons and TONS of hidden files too? They are just hidden a lot more heavily than Window's hidden files. The only way you can see them is if you execute a terminal (MacOS equivalent to Command Prompt) command that will let you see them. Mostly because there is absolutely no reason under any normal circumstance for a User to need to access hidden files.

As an administrator, I have a shell script that I run in order to turn hidden files on or off if I need to access them.

Likewise, there is also a registry in MacOS. But like hidden files, and the command prompt, they are all hidden because most Users if they decided to play around with them, are just going to wind up breaking their computer.

Also, the MacOS has inferior security to Windows, and Windows has vastly inferior security to Linux. MacOS is just lucky because the number of viruses that are programmed to be harmful to MacOS can be counted on one hand.

Edited, Sep 9th 2009 10:40am by Karelyn
____________________________
KUMQUATS
#47 Sep 09 2009 at 11:44 AM Rating: Decent
*
90 posts
If PC could figure out a way to run Snow Leopard OS, then I might go back to PC. Until then...Mac owns all.
____________________________
Scientists have discovered that saliva actually causes cancer. But only when swallowing small amounts over a long period of time
#48 Sep 10 2009 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
Quote:
It's not always about what's under the hood. I could get many American built cars with more power under the hood than my BMW, but I wouldn't want to drive any of them over my BMW.

Form and function can go together and be pleasing.


BMW's are for old men who want to look like they've got money. Their performance is generally crap compared to cheaper cars like you pointed out. A $10,000 Camaro will probably smoke your $50,000 BMW.

I'd personally take a Nissan or Subaru over either.

Quote:
If PC could figure out a way to run Snow Leopard OS, then I might go back to PC. Until then...Mac owns all.


Yet your Mac needs windows to play games.
#49 Sep 11 2009 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
349 posts
I will never understand why people want to pay an arm and a leg for a Unix shell when they can go and get Ubuntu for free.
____________________________
That was no hemroid doctor. That was an alien hoobajoob
#50BJordan, Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 10:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The Mac vs PC arguments get old really fast.
#51 Sep 11 2009 at 10:21 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Most people who dislike Macs are the people who can't afford them.


You had a nice post going until this.

You can't complain about the argument getting old while throwing tinder on the fire at the same time.

Edited, Sep 11th 2009 11:25pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)