Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV gameplay (was forum=10)Follow

#52 Sep 13 2009 at 5:59 PM Rating: Decent
on the plus side, no massive cooldowns maybe?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#53 Sep 13 2009 at 6:57 PM Rating: Default
*****
12,824 posts
moistturtle wrote:


The XI diehards are afraid of:

1) their friends migrating en masse to XIV, splitting the XI community in two
2) server mergers, which could affect a lot of the endgamers and some LS's, in a bad way
3) SE not supporting new expansions/updates for XI once XIV is released
Actually, the reason this post was moved is because =10 is for discussions of XI, where as =268 is for discussions of FFXIV. A fanboy didn't move this, an admin did. Paranoia much?

And, actually, I am beginning to think the lot of raving FFXIV are ******* nuts!
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Let the cynical diehards of FFXI continue to delude themselves. FFXIV is not only going kill off FFXI, but Aion and WoW too.
Kill WoW? Are you cracked? it has 5 MILLION+ SUBSCRIBERS! A Japanese-based RPG is not going to cripple the Blizzard giant. ****, FFXI is the single most successful JRPG MMO of all time and it has never surpassed the 500,000 mark!

Might it kill FFXI? Doubtful. EQII was supposed to cause EQ's servers to shut down. I'm sure Guild Wars II was supposed to do the same for Guild Wars. The fact is that the games die when the community moves on. If it does not find that new "drug" to replace the old, then the game continues to live on, even if in a zombified state...
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#54 Sep 13 2009 at 7:20 PM Rating: Decent
*
242 posts

Quote:
And, actually, I am beginning to think the lot of raving FFXIV are @#%^ing nuts!


Why?
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#55 Sep 13 2009 at 7:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
158 posts
ok, so i'm getting scared... battling seems even slllooowwweerrrr in this than xi... i thought the first few videos were simply like... people don't understand how to play or do normal attacks or w/e... but after the initial 2 from germany and now these 3 i'm starting to wonder if the worst part of ffxi ( for me ) is going to go to xiv as well...

i mean, the pace didn't ruin it for me, but after playing so many years the battle pace was a huuuuge factor in myself not playing anymore, its just become uninteresting and its hard to hold my attention...

i really hope things speed up for the final release, or at least the people playin these demos were just doin it wrong, either way i was really looking forward to xiv but its getting hazy now...
____________________________
Asurean Taru

75 WHM
75 BRD
51 SMN
43 DRK
38 SAM
37 BLM
29 WAR
#56 Sep 13 2009 at 8:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Bacomi wrote:
ok, so i'm getting scared...


Don't.

How many people so far have actually said "Personally, I like waiting 10-15 seconds between attacks." Zero.

Even if the devs actually intended the pace of battles to be this slow (which is a pretty big "if" considering we have only seen alphas at this point), there is no way FFXIV will make it through the focus groups and betas without things getting sped up significantly. The negative user response will simply be overwhelming.
____________________________
#57 Sep 13 2009 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
242 posts
Bocomi wrote:


i really hope things speed up for the final release, or at least the people playin these demos were just doin it wrong, either way i was really looking forward to xiv but its getting hazy now...


This.

I want a video of a mid to high level, with a competent player behind it, fighting something huge, like a Malboro. Crank the battle up with some speed. Dazzle me with special effects and pretty colors pouring out of the mages' hands. I don't want to see anymore videos of noobs fighting puks, rabbits, and dodos. What I would like to see is a group of developers playing this game, perhaps, fighting a dragon or behemoth. I have high expectations of SE, and hopefully, they won't fail to impress me at the TGS.
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#58 Sep 13 2009 at 8:36 PM Rating: Good
I agree, i think in the general frame of MMORPGS at this point, it would impossible for SE to release a game with combat this slow.

Also, can we dispense with the factionalism? For XIV people, it's not likely that XIV is going to touch WoW. It might drain XI a bit, but I bet it won't kill it. Don't blanket people with insults please.

Same goes for the anti XIV sentiment. Just because a certain person got a little dramatic doesn't mean we're somehow a collective cult or some weird thing.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#59 Sep 13 2009 at 9:32 PM Rating: Default
*
242 posts
CapnCrass wrote:
Lobivopis wrote:
No.

Try playing RNG sometime and you'll understand why having to manually select every action sucks.


If we're lucky, FFXIV's combat will have more in common (feel-wise, at least) with the warden class from LotRO. Wardens only have three very basic attacks, and it's how/when/in what order you use them that comprise the class' "skills". Sounds simple on paper, but there's a lot of player skill and knowledge involved in playing one well.



FFXI is the only MMO I've played, so auto-attack is all I am used to. I checked out the LotRO, Warden Class, to see what you were talking about. Not bad. Looks like it might be more engaging without auto attack.

Video 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/warden-trailer-lotr-online/43739

Video 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/warden-feature-lotr-online/41712

Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXsLkSd4dI

Edited, Sep 13th 2009 10:33pm by TheJollyjokers
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#60 Sep 13 2009 at 11:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Pawkeshup the Ludicrous wrote:
Kill WoW? Are you cracked? it has 5 MILLION+ SUBSCRIBERS! A Japanese-based RPG is not going to cripple the Blizzard giant. ****, FFXI is the single most successful JRPG MMO of all time and it has never surpassed the 500,000 mark!

Might it kill FFXI? Doubtful. EQII was supposed to cause EQ's servers to shut down. I'm sure Guild Wars II was supposed to do the same for Guild Wars. The fact is that the games die when the community moves on. If it does not find that new "drug" to replace the old, then the game continues to live on, even if in a zombified state...


I prefer to be realistic is all. FFXI will be 8 years old in 2010 and WoW will be 6 years old. Both games have archaic graphics and controls. Sure these games won't die per se, yet you can't discount a good portion of the player base won't move on to bigger and better things. FFXI is barely afloat in 2009 with minimal updates and RMT-ish inspired 'content' for in-game items. FFXi won't just simply shut down when FFXIV comes out, however the masses will flock to it and eventually FFXI and FFXIV players will have to choose a game to focus on. Considering the new game will get more support and regular updates, it's not going to be hard to see people get bored with FFXI's lack of NEW content and leave for good. Another poster mentioned awhile back that it appeared SE was looking to put FFXI in auto-mode. That way the game could provide endless gear like with the augment system. Don't get me started with the treasure coffers in FoV hoping for that ultra rare item to be in the chest.

As for WoW, I could care less what the rest of the world plays. All I'm saying is FFXIV stands a good chance to take the NA/EU market advantage away from WoW. I realize WoW has a ton of Asian countries that make up their millions of subscribers. The simple truth is SE is learning a lot from Blizzard by making casual play available to the masses beginning with FFXI's FoV and Campaign systems. The Guildeves looks to totally change the look of SE's outlook in creating MMO's. FFXIV will cater to both the casual(WoW crowd) and the FF hardcore players. IMO, the only thing holding back FFXIV at this time is SE's failure in customer service. Should they iron out those details, I'm confident FFXIV will challenge WoW directly attracting flocks of players away from WoW.

This is only my opinion and it's a toss up if it happens or not. All I know is FFXI feels old to me and I'm probably not the only one that feels bored. I primarily only log on for obligated events and catching up with friends now. My desire to play this game has died down ever so slowly and I bet most people feel the same way. If you don't like FFXIV, fine that's your loss.
#61 Sep 13 2009 at 11:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
484 posts
They are trying to make FFXIV more "actiony". It's just not that type of game. PSU is click by click action and that works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwhYnImT2Y
#62 Sep 13 2009 at 11:58 PM Rating: Decent
*
242 posts
TaiiKen wrote:
They are trying to make FFXIV more "actiony". It's just not that type of game. PSU is click by click action and that works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwhYnImT2Y


I never played PSU, but it looks pretty sweet. Nice video. I hope for FFXIV to be like that. That would have me pumped to play.
____________________________
Character name: Undecided
Race: Lalafell
Nation: Gridania
Armoury: Desciple of Magic/Land/Hand
PS3 user
PSN: TheJollyJokers
XBOX Live: TheJollyJokers
#63 Sep 14 2009 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
31 posts
Sorry but I don't see the problem here. The guy kills 4 exp mobs solo that are part of a quest that will give him skill ups or rewards in less than a minute. How long does it a traditional exp party in XI to kill 1 exp mob? How about watching someone solo at IT mob? Is that faster or more exciting?

Also remember that the developers said that players had the option to use their special attack when their action gauge was full, but could store their power gauge for more damage. So it seems the player here is choosing to use his special attack and notice he also uses a defensive stance. This would also be a choice he is making.

Honestly in ffxi I stayed away from jobs that just auto attacked and WS'd. So I'm all for making this game more command and action heavy.
#64 Sep 14 2009 at 4:28 AM Rating: Decent
TheJollyjokers wrote:
TaiiKen wrote:
They are trying to make FFXIV more "actiony". It's just not that type of game. PSU is click by click action and that works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwhYnImT2Y


I never played PSU, but it looks pretty sweet. Nice video. I hope for FFXIV to be like that. That would have me pumped to play.
The phantasy star online series has a nice cathartic gameplay feel that's great for vegging out for hours, but the class balance, enemy AI, level design, quests, story, and pretty much everything else in a MMO left something to be desired.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#65 Sep 14 2009 at 6:03 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,022 posts
AmanoJ wrote:

Edit: Neeevermind, found it mahself.

I wonder, though, if the pace in that video is just because it's either such an early build, missing abilities, or that person didn't know what they were doing. I can't imagine the whole game would put you through that pace in every battle.
But.... who the **** knows. Guess it's worth keeping an eye on.

And for the record, I have played rng for almost 6 years now, and I kinda like the additional control, myself. Auto-attack always sorta bugged me, it just felt so boring and lacked any real interaction. Turn it on and watch? Dunno.


Edited, Sep 12th 2009 8:17pm by AmanoJ


Same with black mage. I originally started the game as a warrior and it got boring pretty quick. Then I tried out black mage and loved having complete control over my character. At least for me, it was WAY more fun selecting the right spells for the moment than sitting there staring at my character until my TP goes up.
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#66 Sep 14 2009 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
**
611 posts
Quote:
ok, so i'm getting scared... battling seems even slllooowwweerrrr in this than xi... i thought the first few videos were simply like... people don't understand how to play or do normal attacks or w/e... but after the initial 2 from germany and now these 3 i'm starting to wonder if the worst part of ffxi ( for me ) is going to go to xiv as well...


I approve this message!


#67StrijderVechter, Posted: Sep 14 2009 at 1:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Hahahahahahahahaha
#68 Sep 14 2009 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
StrijderVechter wrote:


FFIV will not be anything grand because Square-Enix doesn't know a **** thing about what their customers truly want. They will put out THEIR own vision of the game, and their fanbase wishes be damned. If you haven't figured that out after the many years of being ignored in FFXI you're a utter fool.


Maybe so, however that same logic would apply to anyone and everyone that continues to play FFXI or is waiting to play FFXIV. So which category do you fall in? Either way by your faulty logic, everyone in this forum is a fool. Because if SE was as terrible as you claim, nobody would bother to play these games. Fanboys themselves don't keep a game afloat.

Edited, Sep 14th 2009 5:11pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#69 Sep 14 2009 at 2:28 PM Rating: Good
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Pawkeshup the Ludicrous wrote:
Kill WoW? Are you cracked? it has 5 MILLION+ SUBSCRIBERS! A Japanese-based RPG is not going to cripple the Blizzard giant. ****, FFXI is the single most successful JRPG MMO of all time and it has never surpassed the 500,000 mark!

Might it kill FFXI? Doubtful. EQII was supposed to cause EQ's servers to shut down. I'm sure Guild Wars II was supposed to do the same for Guild Wars. The fact is that the games die when the community moves on. If it does not find that new "drug" to replace the old, then the game continues to live on, even if in a zombified state...


I prefer to be realistic is all. FFXI will be 8 years old in 2010 and WoW will be 6 years old. Both games have archaic graphics and controls. Sure these games won't die per se, yet you can't discount a good portion of the player base won't move on to bigger and better things.


I'm a die hard Final Fantasy fan, but FFXIV had better blow the socks off of a lot of people to draw any significant numbers of gamers from World of Warcraft. In my opinion, there is only one upcoming MMO that has the potential to lure hordes of players away from every other MMO, while inviting new gamers that have never experienced an MMO before, and that's Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic.
The original games sold nearly three million copies, to date. KOTOR sold over 1.5 million and KOTOR II: The Sith Lords, sold 1.4 million. I admit, most Star Wars games suck, but the franchise can't be in better hands. Bioware knows how to tell a story, while at the same time, giving all of the power to the player by personalizing it with moral choices. The characters were complimented by amazing voice actors, who made it very easy to sympathize with. I remember feeling guilty after I decided to kill the followers who wouldn't stray down the dark path with me. I also remember ROFL from my assassin droid's (HK-47) dark humor, begging for the chance to kill "Meatsacks." Bioware is blessed with talented writers who wove a tale almost as good as the Star Wars movies, IV,V,VI.
The gameplay in The Old Republic looks pretty sweet, so far.
I plan on trying out FFXIV, but it had better be a blockbuster hit to keep me from wandering off to a galaxy far, far away.

20 minute gameplay footage: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-star-wars/55339

Edited, Sep 14th 2009 6:29pm by InterceptorFFVI
#70 Sep 14 2009 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
StrijderVechter wrote:
FFIV will not be anything grand because Square-Enix doesn't know a **** thing about what their customers truly want. They will put out THEIR own vision of the game, and their fanbase wishes be damned. If you haven't figured that out after the many years of being ignored in FFXI you're a utter fool.
Maybe so, however that same logic would apply to anyone and everyone that continues to play FFXI or is waiting to play FFXIV. So which category do you fall in? Either way by your faulty logic, everyone in this forum is a fool. Because if SE was as terrible as you claim, nobody would bother to play these games. Fanboys themselves don't keep a game afloat.
1) there are a -lot- of ff fanboys
2) logic fail, just because we realize that the dev team doesn't care about our wishes doesn't mean that we should quit if we enjoy the people we play with and/or are a bit masochistic.

Quote:
The original games sold nearly three million copies, to date. KOTOR sold over 1.5 million and KOTOR II: The Sith Lords, sold 1.4 million. I admit, most Star Wars games suck, but the franchise can't be in better hands.
I love how you cite those numbers like they're actaully impressive:

Diddy kong racing sold 4.434 million copies
Link's crappy Crossbow Training sold 3.76 million copies
Rereleased Super Mario 64 on DS sold 7.5 million copies
crappy Doom RPG for cell phones sold over 1 million copies

Final Fantasy as a series: 85 million copies

Edited, Sep 14th 2009 6:41pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#71 Sep 14 2009 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
InterceptorFFVI wrote:
I plan on trying out FFXIV, but it had better be a blockbuster hit to keep me from wandering off to a galaxy far, far away.

20 minute gameplay footage: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-star-wars/55339


That's pretty much my sentiments. From what I see coming out from SE, FFXIV could be a great game or a very very bad one...I see no middle ground. SWTOR, however, can either be a mediocre game or a blockbuster hit and, personally, from what I see I'm betting it's going to be great. Chances are I'll be playing SWTOR but FFVII being my favorite RPG (and also the first one I played by myself), my second favorite game (Zelda: Ocarina of time beats it out slightly) and FFXI being my first MMO with many fond memories, I'm willing to give FFXIV a chance and first priority. If, however, I'm not thoroughly impressed I'll most likely head on over to SWTOR with my guild.

Of course there's always the chance that they'll both suck and Star Trek Online will blow them out of the water because it also looks pretty interesting.
#72 Sep 14 2009 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
They will put out THEIR own vision of the game, and their fanbase wishes be damned.


Giving into fanbase demands isn't always a good thing, and usually ends up in a slippery slope of gimmegimme that damages the game design. (Not that several of the demands in XI weren't reasonable.) I'd rather have a rigid vision of a game than a user-created one.


Shadowedge: XIV won't do much to pry people away from WoW. (But that's a good thing.)
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#73 Sep 14 2009 at 11:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Kirbster wrote:


Shadowedge: XIV won't do much to pry people away from WoW. (But that's a good thing.)


I think I understand where your going with this. So allow me to better illustrate my vision.

It's no secret most people believe that WoW players are typically 15year old kids with no self control. Those aren't the people that I believe will be jumping over to FFXIV by the masses, at least not for very long. The people I hope FFXIV attracts are people similar to myself. People with jobs, kids of their own, and very little time to plunk down on a MMO.

Your average causal player can reach max level in WoW in less than 2 weeks solo. Compare that to FFXI's causal system and you're looking at 6 months at least. What most of us adult Final Fantasy players want most is the causal experience of WoW mixed with hardcore challenges and a mature community to play in. Maybe some of my figures are off, but I truly believe a lot of players are hoping for the same result. We don't want an Easy mode FF MMO game, however we a game that is accessible to us and our limitations. Besides, even Sage Sundi admitted that most gil buyers are the players that have the least time to play.

So of course I hope FFXIV takes a solid approach off the positive ideas of WoW and expands on them. Level sync and FoV were a solid start. So was the NPC fellows and Campaign. Now the ball is in SE's court. I'm sick of the negative comments by people that hate SE so much, yet they won't quit the **** game and leave us alone. I'm giving SE a new chance with FFXIV and regardless of their past actions, I'm moving forward purely on faith. History will prove who was right. So far the FFXIV news just keeps on getting better and better. English voice overs, worldwide launch, causal play, teleports from the new Mog house, more WS's, much improved crafting system, isn't a PS3 port, and so many other things I can't name them all. People just love to complain.
#74 Sep 15 2009 at 2:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
Like so many have said, this video was made to show off guildleve not the battle system and with poor players fighting as at low levels I don't think I've seen very many games that look fun tbh. We will just have to wait and see, and honestly I doubt they are anywhere near being done with the battlesystem.

Not having auto attack is great imo, just hope they make it a little bit more fast paced than what we have seen so far. There are so many games out there(non-mmo) that makes gameplay so much more engaging and fun than any mmo-. Now, with lag and whatnot it might not be possible to get it to that level of gameplay yet, but I think SE is on the right track. Hopefully since the pace will be at least a little slower than other games, SE can find a way to implement strategy/teamwork to make up for it.

When it comes to making it a bit problematic to type at the same time as playing.. I mean, are you serious? Do you really want to dumb down and make gameplay less engaging/fun just so you can type in pt chat? If anything why not hope SE puts good gameplay as a first priority and maybe they will start using integrated voicechat? Personally I really hope they add integrated voicechat from the beginning to make it sort of the norm of FFXIV. So many use Vent etc in LSs already, and with integrated vc from the beginning odds are we could have both engaging gameplay and fun chats in party at the same time. If you are in a party where people don't speak english, just use auto translate function like you do in FFXI to make sure everyone knows what is going on and then move out. Not like you chat much using auto translate in FFXI anyway, so no difference there.

FFXIV being a WoW killer... hardly. Like someone mentioned if anyone has the ability to compete with WoW its Star Wars the Old Republic, and odds are even they will be in trouble when Blizzard announces their new mmo-. Personally I will probably be hopping back and forth between FFXIV and SWtOR simply because I get bored easily and I think FFXIV will be fun even if they do decide to go back to what should have become and archaic way of gameplay long ago, with autoattack.
#75 Sep 15 2009 at 2:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Like someone mentioned if anyone has the ability to compete with WoW its Star Wars the Old Republic


Just throwing this tidbit out there; I have no interest in playing prophet. Final Fantasy slightly edges out Star Wars in a google battle. And I think it's safe to say that the correlation between Final Fantasy and gaming is significantly higher than the correlation between Star Wars and gaming. Take it for what it's worth.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#76 Sep 15 2009 at 3:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I wanted to remind everyone that FFXIV is supposed to more tactical, unlike the timing mechanics we have in FFXI. I'll give an example that everyone should know. Say your fighting a mob that has nasty TP moves. So your blm's have a stun order to prevent them from going off. Stunning TP moves is a timing mechanic which won't be in FFXIV according to the Devs. So in that regard, typing would be easier. Of course, nothing beats voice chat, but that's not the issue.

Career mages and RNG/COR's don't use auto-attack most of the time now and we manage just fine. I think some people need to stop imagining FFXIV will play identical to FFXI.
#77 Sep 15 2009 at 6:03 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
Of course Kachi, you are right noone can know for sure and speculating doesn't really acomplish anything, but when you say FFXIV has more of a gaming market compared to SW I think that is the main thing that gives SW the edge. SW can get people outside the regular gamingmarket and tap that resource as well, which is something I think WoW has done extremely well. They have sort of maid it mainstream even amongst people who don't normally play games. That is a large reason to why they are so big compared to other mmo games imo, and that is why I said I think SW has a bigger shot at competing with WoW than FFXIV.
#78 Sep 15 2009 at 6:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Well actually, my point was that if Final Fantasy rivals the popularity of Star Wars, you have to consider that nearly 100% of Final Fantasy fans play video games because that's how you become a fan, so probably most of them are at least open to a Final Fantasy MMO. But what portion of the Star Wars fan base can be counted on for the same? Now don't get me wrong; I'm sure there's a fairly solid, if not a majority base of fans who whether by virtue of sheer general geekiness or desire to be immersed in the Star Wars world are totally open to a Star Wars MMO. But I'm sure there are plenty of others who enjoyed the movies and that's about it.

Operating solely on that logic (and discounting potential confounding factors like fan group overlap) it's difficult to imagine a Star Wars MMO beating a Final Fantasy MMO. But I cannot emphasize enough how little I really care.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#79 Sep 15 2009 at 7:20 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
188 posts
FFXI left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths. Unfortunately, 7/8 of my friends who played FFXI responded, "I don't know dude, FFXI kinda sucked." when I brought up how awesome I thought FFXIV was gonna be.
#80 Sep 15 2009 at 7:20 AM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
I've said it before, so i will be brief here...

The system reminds me of AoC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5eikU4ZD4k ) only it looks like the simplified it some. The combat in AoC was interesting at first, but overtime it became tedium in large doses. The Con to it was just as some others have said - talking or doing anything but attacking is rather impossible while maintaining a good flow in damage. The plus to it was that it was engaging and dynamic, and personally i liked the option of plugging in a xbox controller into my computer and playing the game with that rather than a keyboard.

But yeah, it looks to me like they simplified that combat system, replacing combos with abilities.

The balance issue that will arise, which i should point out atm (which is to say until we see the magic system in action) is that if magic is based on a generic "click to cast" system, caster classes tend to be much more streamlined in effectiveness.

That is to say, they require alot less effort, management and tedium to perform ideally compared to their melee components. Imagine the difficulty difference in having to manually attack mobs near constantly compared to "click, cast, click, cast". This of course is just speculation on my part, if the magic system has something similar, or cast times which are relatively short then this is not a huge issue (threat levels aside of course).

Anyway, I am kinda in the same boat that another poster is in. When i heard about XIV i was excited - i am an avid ff fan and admitted Squaresoft b**ch (though i refuse to by a psp to play a ff game). But the more information that is revealed the more i get disapointed. I don't want an updated XI with new wrapping paper, i want a new XIV.

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 11:32am by KacesofCaitsith
____________________________


#81 Sep 15 2009 at 7:24 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
188 posts
That youtube link isn't working for me.
#82 Sep 15 2009 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
That youtube link isn't working for me.


Fixed, sorry bout that.
____________________________


#83 Sep 15 2009 at 7:41 AM Rating: Decent
41 posts
Is everyone 100% sure that there isn’t an auto attack function in FFXIV?
I think ya’ll are being way to hard on how it might play out when we don’t know all the details. To me besides all the unique attacks, the video looks very similar to FFXI game play.

I was an end game Thief in FFXI so I had to use Sneak Attack and Trick Attack every 30 seconds, but I also always had to constantly position myself, so there was never really a moment when I wasn’t hands on interacting with the game play.
Paladins also have to Cure after every attack, and Ninja has to toggle between the 2 utsusemis as well as other Ninjitsu spells every couple seconds.

I really don’t see what the big deal is. It will still be more strategic and more challenging then all the current mind numbing, low grade MMOs out there.

Edited, Sep 16th 2009 9:47pm by Pious
____________________________
Carpe Noctem!! :)
#84 Sep 15 2009 at 9:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
To me besides all the unique attacks, the video looks very similar to FFXI game play.


That is the problem.

Quote:
I was an end game Thief in FFXI so I had to use Sneak Attack and Trick Attack every 30 seconds, but I also always had to constantly position myself, so there was never really a moment when I wasn’t hands on interacting with the game play.


Technically, by your definition you only had to interact with the game every 30 seconds to SA and TA. The rest of the time if your tank was not moving around you could stand there and auto attack.

Quote:

I really don’t see what the big deal is. It will still be more strategic and more challenging then every single mind numbing, low grade MMO out there (except for FFXI of course).


...

Quote:
we don’t know all the details
____________________________


#85 Sep 15 2009 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
Kachi wrote:
Well actually, my point was that if Final Fantasy rivals the popularity of Star Wars, you have to consider that nearly 100% of Final Fantasy fans play video games because that's how you become a fan, so probably most of them are at least open to a Final Fantasy MMO. But what portion of the Star Wars fan base can be counted on for the same? Now don't get me wrong; I'm sure there's a fairly solid, if not a majority base of fans who whether by virtue of sheer general geekiness or desire to be immersed in the Star Wars world are totally open to a Star Wars MMO. But I'm sure there are plenty of others who enjoyed the movies and that's about it.

Operating solely on that logic (and discounting potential confounding factors like fan group overlap) it's difficult to imagine a Star Wars MMO beating a Final Fantasy MMO. But I cannot emphasize enough how little I really care.


It doesn't matter who has the larger fanbase but who can gain more people out of their fanbase. FFXI has loyal players so I can see a good .5-1 million players even if the game isn't all that good but I don't really see it getting much more than that if it is good unless SE can get the public excited about the game and get rid of some of the misconceptions it has from those who don't like the grinding in FFXI which is it most known for.

SWTOR has good publicity, people like bioware, most everyone loves star wars ip even they don't consider themselves fans (which can't be said about FF)...the game has everything going for it so I really don't see it being outperformed by FFXIV unless it isn't that good.
#86 Sep 15 2009 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Anyway, I am kinda in the same boat that another poster is in. When i heard about XIV i was excited - i am an avid ff fan and admitted Squaresoft b**ch (though i refuse to by a psp to play a ff game). But the more information that is revealed the more i get disapointed. I don't want an updated XI with new wrapping paper, i want a new XIV.

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 11:32am by KacesofCaitsith


What do you mean exactly? Besides the visual similarities of the races, I don't see anything that would lead anyone to believe FFXIV is XI with new wrapping paper. Please elaborate thanks.
#87Pious, Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 2:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Is it? What makes you an authority on the matter?
#88 Sep 15 2009 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Anyway, I am kinda in the same boat that another poster is in. When i heard about XIV i was excited - i am an avid ff fan and admitted Squaresoft b**ch (though i refuse to by a psp to play a ff game). But the more information that is revealed the more i get disapointed. I don't want an updated XI with new wrapping paper, i want a new XIV.

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 11:32am by KacesofCaitsith


What do you mean exactly? Besides the visual similarities of the races, I don't see anything that would lead anyone to believe FFXIV is XI with new wrapping paper. Please elaborate thanks.


Some people just need an excuse to complain.
#89 Sep 15 2009 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
What do you mean exactly? Besides the visual similarities of the races, I don't see anything that would lead anyone to believe FFXIV is XI with new wrapping paper. Please elaborate thanks.


Race similiarities. No jumping. Combat seemingly a copy of ranger combat. SE stance on many things.

Quote:
Coibris mobs in AU are mostly melee burns where the mob is constantly changing direction, so I never had the luxury of just standing there using auto attack, not to mention that I also pulled and had to have the next mob waiting and ready as soon as the current one was finished off, so no…


A mob rotating its postion does not require you to move, likewise i would not put movement as engaging on any real level considering you can lock your target and auto run to it.

Quote:
You also conveniently glazed right over my mentioning of how involved Paladin and Ninja are.


And you cherry picked a single mob to justify engaging combat against a general observation.

Quote:
Is it? What makes you an authority on the matter?


Aside from your neglection that this is a forum and people are entitled to opinions, nothing. But it is reasonable for any non-zealot to see that carbon copying a game will not yield a much higher playerbase than the original and infact will split your playerbase between the two.

Then there is the personal belief i have that if ffxiv is a ffxi copy, people will not stick around for that game since they will be abandoning characters in ffxi that they have had for years on end - especially with new content not stopping for said game.

Quote:
I mean after all... from your previous posts I see that you actually played AOC, so I’ll also assume that you also bought that game (if you wanna call it a game), and paid a monthly fee to play it… this is of course Age of Conan we’re talking about.
You know… probably the biggest epic fail in MMO history, developed by a total hack developer named Funcom.


Yeah, me and my wife played AoC for a couple of months during launch. Left shortly after due to bugs and such. I use AoC as an example that a good launch can make or break a game - because that is exactly what happened to AoC.

Quote:
Sorry, but I think I’ll pass on taking the opinion of someone who actually shelled out money for that silly trash seriously.


u mad?

I personally find the ffxi zealots hilarious - very much paralleling religious zealots in some ways. Oh sky cake, why do you taste so delicious?

Quote:
Some people just need an excuse to complain.


Not really. I dislike what i see. I don't make threads complaining about it and spam the forums on sock puppets like some people. I do join in on some threads occasionally to voice my opinion - afterall that is what a forum is for right :P

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 7:21pm by KacesofCaitsith
____________________________


#90 Sep 15 2009 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Why are people expecting FFXIV to not be similar in some ways to XI?

I mean, seriously.


This completely ******* boggles the mind.


____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#91 Sep 15 2009 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,159 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:

Quote:
Some people just need an excuse to complain.


Not really. I dislike what i see. I don't make threads complaining about it and spam the forums on sock puppets like some people. I do join in on some threads occasionally to voice my opinion - afterall that is what a forum is for right :P


I'm sorry if I offended you but the only similarity between the two games so far is the races. As far as my mind can see that only leaves me with the conclusion that you are upset about something (possibly because you don't understand the combat system, which in this very thread I have already explained) but can't find anything really substantial to talk about.
#92 Sep 15 2009 at 3:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
Why are people expecting FFXIV to not be similar in some ways to XI?

I mean, seriously.


This completely @#%^ing boggles the mind.


Aside from the fact that every final fantasy game is unique? Aside from the fact that it is not FFXI-2? Aside from the fact that the game genre itself has changed and evolve since FFXI came out?

Yeah, who would have thought to expect innovation from SE anyway. I mean, they made something similar to EQ with FFXI, why shouldnt they follow suit with EQ2 and just make FFXIV in a alternate universe eh?
____________________________


#93 Sep 15 2009 at 3:36 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
Aside from the fact that every final fantasy game is unique?


Are you kidding me?

Almost every single final fantasy uses the same basic formula for battle mechanics, same core themes in storylines, and very similar play mechanics in general. There are considerable differences in XIV that are already apparent, even with the limited information we have on it, but it's idiotic to think that there wouldn't be similarities from their sole experience in the MMO genre.


Don't be stupid.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#94 Sep 15 2009 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:


Race similiarities. No jumping. Combat seemingly a copy of ranger combat. SE stance on many things.


The lack of a Jump button isn't for certain yet. The game play videos we saw wasn't controlled by the most skilled players, that's for sure. SE's stance on things? That could mean anything including Customer service. I think it's far too early to tell and your reasons are just superficial for now. When the Beta comes out, I'll be more objective to these things, but for now, the best thing to do is hold a wait and see approach. Nobody knows what SE has up their sleeves so far. The videos so far might seem to look an awful a lot like FFXI, but then again, SE is known for keeping secrets. Showing footage of FFXI inspired game play isn't letting anything out of the bag if you catch my meaning.

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 6:41pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#95 Sep 15 2009 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
I'm sorry if I offended you but the only similarity between the two games so far is the races. As far as my mind can see that only leaves me with the conclusion that you are upset about something (possibly because you don't understand the combat system, which in this very thread I have already explained) but can't find anything really substantial to talk about.


No worries, i was not offended - i think my typing style just tends to be alittle.. rough?

I am not really upset, just as i said disappointed. I played ffxi for a good while (i think 2 years? - nothing compared to some people i know. I played during the original NA release and then again recently) and was generally excited when ffxiv was announced.

However, after my most recent time playing ffxi i realize that i cannot play this game anymore. Job, wife, house, etc. too much time required. The prospect of ffxiv being casual was very intriguing to me.

But the similarities are there, and while that is not a deal breaker for me, i am disapointed to not see something genuinely unique. I will play that game, because like i said, i am a squaresoft b**ch. I am just not a zealot who thinks SE can do no wrong and they are the end all be all of video game developers.

If the game is not for me, it is not for me and i will not play. It never hurts to try (and that went for AoC as well).
____________________________


#96 Sep 15 2009 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
KacesofCaitsith wrote:


Race similiarities. No jumping. Combat seemingly a copy of ranger combat. SE stance on many things.


The lack of a Jump button isn't for certain yet. The game play videos we saw wasn't controlled by the most skilled players, that's for sure. SE's stance on things? That could mean anything including Customer service. I think it's far too early to tell and your reasons are just superficial for now. When the Beta comes out, I'll be more objective to these things, but for now, the game isn't ready enough to be classified so easy.



There is no jump button. (Thank god.)

Devs said they were interested in implementing a Zelda-like Action button system for jumping and climbing in an interview.

Edited, Sep 15th 2009 4:39pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#97 Sep 15 2009 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
***
1,159 posts
KacesofCaitsith wrote:
Quote:
Why are people expecting FFXIV to not be similar in some ways to XI?

I mean, seriously.


This completely @#%^ing boggles the mind.


Aside from the fact that every final fantasy game is unique? Aside from the fact that it is not FFXI-2? Aside from the fact that the game genre itself has changed and evolve since FFXI came out?

Yeah, who would have thought to expect innovation from SE anyway. I mean, they made something similar to EQ with FFXI, why shouldnt they follow suit with EQ2 and just make FFXIV in a alternate universe eh?


Umm...every FF may be unique but they have so many similarities...probably more similiarities with each other than FFXI has with FFXIV with the information we have.

For instance:

Every One has human main characters, most after a certain point (don't know which one) have moogles, most deal with an evil empire that is taking over the world, most are turn based, chocobos, flying ships, classes, crystals, Cid...the list goes on. If you are upset about the races being the same and not being able to jump...well, I'm sorry but you chose the wrong franchise because there are likely to be a lot more similarities than those.
#98 Sep 15 2009 at 3:42 PM Rating: Default
**
305 posts
Quote:
Almost every single final fantasy uses the same basic formula for battle mechanics, same core themes in storylines, and very similar play mechanics in general.


Aside from the generalistic combat setting, there were differences. The generalistic combat setting is typical of the genre. It is similiar to expecting an action bar of sorts in an mmo.

Aside from that, the characters were different. The stories were different. The magic system, gemming system, character growth, etc were all different.

Quote:
There are considerable differences in XIV that are already apparent, even with the limited information we have on it, but it's idiotic to think that there wouldn't be similarities from their sole experience in the MMO genre.


Yes, who would think that it would be smart to evolve and grow with the industry right? I mean, if it has worked before, it will always work right!?

Quote:
Don't be stupid.


Stop nerd raging.

____________________________


#99 Sep 15 2009 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Quote:

Aside from that, the characters were different. The stories were different. The magic system, gemming system, character growth, etc were all different.


Protip: in case you haven't been reading interviews, all of these are different in XIV.

Quote:
Stop nerd raging.


Stop being obtuse.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#100 Sep 15 2009 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
305 posts
Quote:
The lack of a Jump button isn't for certain yet. The game play videos we saw wasn't controlled by the most skilled players, that's for sure. SE's stance on things? That could mean anything including Customer service. I think it's far too early to tell and your reasons are just superficial for now. When the Beta comes out, I'll be more objective to these things, but for now, the best thing to do is hold a wait and see approach. Nobody knows what SE has up their sleeves so far. The videos so far might seem to look an awful a lot like FFXI, but then again, SE is known for keeping secrets. Showing footage of FFXI inspired game play isn't letting anything out of the bag if you catch my meaning.


Customer service, voice of customer, balancing and communication are the big issues for me.

I would love to see how anyone can say that SE excels at customer service and communication. Balance, well i seem to have a different opinion on that than these boards so leave that as just my opinion.

Quote:
Every One has human main characters, most after a certain point (don't know which one) have moogles, most deal with an evil empire that is taking over the world, most are turn based, chocobos, flying ships, classes, crystals, Cid...the list goes on. If you are upset about the races being the same and not being able to jump...well, I'm sorry but you chose the wrong franchise because there are likely to be a lot more similarities than those.


Liscense vs Materia. ATB vs Turnbased. Class based vs classless vs job system.

There are fluff simiarities which define FF - crystals, moogles, chocobos, CID, etc. These are expected and would not be a FF without them. There is a difference between fluff and core mechanics / design.

Seeing CID in a new outfit is one thing. Seeing for example Tidus renamed and given a new outfit as our main character is another.

I guess because i am killing time is the reason i am taking so much participation in this thread. It is hard for me to argue points when really my feeling is disapointment (as stated before) and not anger, rage or dislike.

Only so much you can argue when your opinion is only slightly below nuetral :P
____________________________


#101 Sep 15 2009 at 3:51 PM Rating: Default
**
305 posts
Quote:
Protip: in case you haven't been reading interviews, all of these are different in XIV.


I view classes as being replaced by weapons. Basically, replace LFG - DRK with LFG - Scythe.

Quote:
Stop being obtuse.


You're the one who resorts to insults in a discussion, which does make it hard to take you seriously.

It's like i said, the zealots are so entertaining sometimes.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)