Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

XIV Site UpdateFollow

#102 Oct 13 2009 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
442 posts
Borkachev wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, they said on the site that the antelope behave like a pack; I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in the OP but will go back to make sure. They're really going all-out on the enemy AI this time; they even mentioned in an earlier interview that enemies quickly adapt to combos used in battle and will begin to block and counter more often if one repeats a pattern too frequently.

Yeah, the bestiary hints at the behavior of the antelope and raptors, but I'm not sure if we should take it as an accurate description of gameplay elements or just as color. The antelope entry even says they communicate with the swaying of their tails -- could the AI really be that sophisticated?


It could be, especially since the systems are already designed to support not only male/female enemies, but positions they're being attacked and a type of 'learning' AI.
#103 Oct 14 2009 at 2:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I'm still confused as to why you seem to think realistic (as in grounded in reality, not high poly-count, detailed renders) creatures have absolutely NO place in any fantasy setting. You seem stuck in some mindset like, "Its fantasy dammit, flying, blue, eight legged puppies with tentacles for all!" I never said you CANNOT do fantasy that way. I never said you cannot do REALISTIC fantasy that way. I can definitely see why you would want to see a really nontraditional, unrealistic fantasy setting in an MMO. I think it would be very cool to have an ecology based entirely around fantasy monsters. I only said that you CAN make a fantasy setting with real world elements- and its STILL fantasy. Why is it you cannot make this concession?


Don't strawman me here-- I never said that realistic creatures have "absolutely NO place in fantasy" or even implied it. What I said is that I want realistic creatures, many of which don't draw heavily from real life animals, right down to the name.

There are plenty of mobs in Final Fantasy games that look like they -could- be animals, except that they aren't named after animals, and don't look enough like a particular animal to say, "Well that's clearly based on (specific animal."

Further, I never said that you can't have a fantasy setting with real world elements. The reason I haven't made that concession is because we never disagreed about it in the first place. Are there any other concessions you'd like me to make that you haven't addressed?

And you can easily make a realistic Yan with even an iota of imagination. And when people see it, they'll quickly notice that it's wooly like a sheep. But it won't be a sheep that looks a lot like a real sheep with a couple of giant tumors.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#104 Oct 18 2009 at 8:21 AM Rating: Excellent
*
73 posts
Kachi wrote:
For example, why use a @#%^ing "Sheep" that looks almost exactly like a sheep, when you can use a Yan from Final Fantasy 9?


Because they will blow us back to town and make us levitate. *shivers*

But I really do think that they should have used Yan's over sheeps. They have such a large pool of monsters from previous FF titles they really don't need to use any real life animals, though I don't have a problem with them in MMORPG's.
____________________________
Allysin-Fenrir Server
#105 Oct 18 2009 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
353 posts
The thought of giant Yan walking around in the place of sheep scares me deeply.

I think it's fair enough to have some similar animals to real life, I mean they could have jazzed sheep up and given them like, cool horns or something to make them not literally look like camel-sheep. But at the same time I think a sense of Realism is good because it can keep you feeling like you're in a real operating world. I do feel however (and I'm probably going to be slated for this) that they could take a TINY TEENY page from WoW, in that whilst they do have some fairly normal looking zones, the further you progress the more fantastical and unusual they become, at least in parts. For me this makes it feel like you're really getting into the deeper fantasy of the game whereas in FFXI a lot of areas tended to be large fields and forests, nothing changed particularly in a lot of the non-endgame areas from 1-75, including the mobs (though yes this is the same in wow and i dont like it there either, i promise I'm not saying wow's better here!).

TL;DR, I think it's fair enough that there should be things like sheep and all that kind of stuff around outside the cities and in the safer regions, but the more interesting and unique stuff should build up the deeper you get.
#106 Oct 18 2009 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,145 posts
I guess fantasy has failed for hundreds of years. I won't even begin to recall every fantasy story ever told that included plain ole creatures in the real world called by their real world names. What made the fantasy was the additional creatures or creations that don't or can't exist in the real world, ranging from fantasy races to fantasy monsters to fantasy airships. So, I really don't have a problem with FFXIV creature design and names, but I better not be fricking dying to a fricking bunny or bee or crab in FFXIV at any point or there's going to be **** to pay.
#107 Oct 21 2009 at 3:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Just FYI, Rarabs are actually based off of African Springhares, which aren't actually rabbits, but rodents (mice etc).

http://www.treasureranch.com/treasure/rzuinfofiles/jpg/sphr8wk.jpg

Isn't Final Fantasy the game where a recurring monster is a sentient, evil delicious dessert from Mexico? (Flan)

I'm pretty sure it's also the series where dancing cacti kill the **** out of people with acupuncture for NO REASON other than approaching it.

I also distinctly recall being murdalized more than once in Boyahda Tree by an over-ripe onion man.

Iiiiiiii think it's time for this conversation to end.
____________________________
                 \ │ /
                 / ̄\   / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
               ─( ゚ ∀ ゚ )< I'M THE **** SUN!
                 \_/   \_________
                / │ \
#108 Oct 21 2009 at 4:10 PM Rating: Decent
**
555 posts
I want one!
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#109 Oct 25 2009 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
Kajidoh wrote:
Isn't Final Fantasy the game where a recurring monster is a sentient, evil delicious dessert from Mexico? (Flan)


I don't understand why people don't just cast silence on these and then pull out a spoon and eat them...
#110 Oct 25 2009 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
*
145 posts

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't Final Fantasy the game where a recurring monster is a sentient, evil delicious dessert from Mexico? (Flan)

I don't understand why people don't just cast silence on these and then pull out a spoon and eat them...


because I only eat Jello endorsed by Bill Cosby.
#111 Oct 25 2009 at 4:50 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts
Quote:
because I only eat Jello endorsed by Bill Cosby.


Or pudddinnngggg popppppssssss
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#112 Oct 25 2009 at 5:09 PM Rating: Good
Skeptic wrote:
Quote:
because I only eat Jello endorsed by Bill Cosby.


Or pudddinnngggg popppppssssss


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_M8YsW14KY
#113 Oct 25 2009 at 6:16 PM Rating: Default
**
555 posts


FTW!
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#114 Oct 25 2009 at 6:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
BACON
BURGER
DO~G~
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)