Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

So I was watching the gameplay footage...Follow

#1 Oct 25 2009 at 9:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,087 posts
As I'm sure you all know...can be found here: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/final-fantasy-xiv-online/11432

Likes

I picked up on a few things I liked. The running animations. To me personally I find them more realistic looking then most games. But that was just the three characters I saw. The stop animation is what really impressed me. I'm so used to the unrealistic dead stop out of a sprint from other games that I find the little stop shuffle they do incredibly refreshing. The targeting is another aspect I enjoyed. I liked the spinning wheel around your target, let me know right away what my focus was. I'm used to wow with a shaded circle on the floor under your target which can easily be covered by other objects/creatures...etc. I greatly enjoyed the view in the game, very lush detailed world that looks like it will take me a great deal of time to explore fully.

Dislikes

What I didn't like were things I found alarming, and are partially what annoyed me about FFXI. In one of the videos it shows the female Elvaan(or whatever they're called now) running at a small hill but not being able to drop down. Much like most of the terrain in FFXI. Maybe it was just a glitch, but I don't like a world that looks big but is actually small when you try to run to these new places you're foiled by a simple tree stump or small rocky lump. I also didn't see any jumping. Which only helps to hinder travel. I haven't heard any gameplay music either. That bothers me a lot about XI. Zones without music. Just the sound of the wind in the background. Square is responsible for some of the best music scores in videogames(IMO) and I would hate to see the talent wasted on musicless zones.

The mouse target was another thing that I didn't like. When the mouse was over a potential target. There was no semi-highlight to let you know that if you click now THIS is what you will target. It would be a simple feature to add and I hope they take the time to. The teleporting that was done by the Taru didn't look very nice. You see the character spawn then the world construct itself around him. A minor flaw, but still one I find annoying. And finally I found that the characters STILL run into each other for a brief second before being allowed to pass through. This was such an annoyance in XI for me attempting to tackle my way to the auction house. I hope this feature is removed in the future.
#2 Oct 25 2009 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
Those gameplay videos were done at Gamescom in Germany where SE was showcasing the Guild Leves system using an Alpha build of the game so there will be glitches and lack of finishing touches...such as music. Music is one of the last components added to a game.
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

[ffxisig]81208[/ffxisig]
#3 Oct 25 2009 at 11:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
555 posts
You really cannot make any assumptions on how FFXIV will play until maybe Beta begins. Even then there will be plenty of bugs that need fixing. The game is not complete. I say if you have any dislikes and you happen to be lucky enough to test the game..then report it. Or, if you have a friend that gets lucky and can test in an event that you cannot, then have them report it. If SE allows us to "jump" or "hop" down cliffs, then it would only be fair if the Mobs were allowed to do the same, as well. That would allow too easy of an opportunity for players to scurry away from Mobs, especially if the Mobs cannot follow your actions in a chase.

Edited, Oct 25th 2009 1:01pm by Skeptic
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#4 Oct 25 2009 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
***
2,155 posts
Enemies in XI could chase us up completely vertical terrain, so I don't think they'll have limited the mobs movement too much in XIV. It would be nice if they program the terrain a little better, though, so that tiny bumps in the road don't completely limit your movement anymore. That was really irritating in XI. The lack of jump I can get by with - sure, it would be nice, but as long as my character can step over a rock or automatically 'hop' up/down a small crack or terrain level difference then I'll be content on that issue.
____________________________
Chanchan - Mithra - Titan Phoenix
THF
#5 Oct 25 2009 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Yeah, would be nice to get those things fixed in time for retail. I'm not surprised that those problems still exist, though. Hopefully the devs can get rid of the issues once we get to beta.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#6 Oct 25 2009 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
As others have said, it was a very obvious alpha build. I'd wait until the beta comes around to start talking about it, since that's the typically the state in development when they're specifically looking for feedback from users.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#7 Oct 25 2009 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
**
555 posts
Is it only me, or am I the only one that is perfectly fine without having Jump? Just an extra button to hit to me..

::Shrug::

____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#8 Oct 25 2009 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,017 posts
[quote=Skeptic]Is it only me, or am I the only one that is perfectly fine without having Jump? Just an extra button to hit to me..

::Shrug::

************, you'd go from 2 buttons to press to 3! Is that so hard? Smiley: grin
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#9 Oct 25 2009 at 12:14 PM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
Skeptic wrote:
Is it only me, or am I the only one that is perfectly fine without having Jump? Just an extra button to hit to me..

::Shrug::



I'm fine without it, but I'd still love to have it. Jumping nonstop was a great way to pass time in WoW. Smiley: lol I had such an interesting way of jumping that it never got boring.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#10 Oct 25 2009 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
**
555 posts
[**********, you'd go from 2 buttons to press to 3! Is that so hard?[/quote]

FFXI was fine without Jump, so will FFXIV =D
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#11 Oct 25 2009 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
Skeptic wrote:
Is it only me, or am I the only one that is perfectly fine without having Jump? Just an extra button to hit to me..


I'm perfectly fine without jump. I think it would look terrible with this particular realistic style of modeling to see bunny-hopping everywhere.


However, Zelda-style jumping via action buttons would be fantastic.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#12 Oct 25 2009 at 1:11 PM Rating: Decent
**
555 posts
Quote:
I'm perfectly fine without jump. I think it would look terrible with this particular realistic style of modeling to see bunny-hopping everywhere.


However, Zelda-style jumping via action buttons would be fantastic.


Agreed.


Actually, FFXI DID have jump! But only DRGs could use it =/

Edited, Oct 25th 2009 3:12pm by Skeptic
____________________________
Retired 75PLD
Hades Server
Obsidian Linkshell

WoW Fails.


#13 Oct 25 2009 at 1:41 PM Rating: Excellent
ChanchanXI wrote:
Enemies in XI could chase us up completely vertical terrain


This wasn't always the case. They changed most of the original zones to be like this around December of 2003... possibly a little bit after that. I remember when I started playing FFXI, you used to be able to shoot sheep in La Theine from above while standing on a cliff, and you could slowly whittle an IT down as long as you had enough arrows. To my knowledge, the only zone that still uses the original rules that forced enemies to find a real path to their targets is Palborough Mines. If you hit a Quadav in with a ranged attack or a spell in the ramp rooms there, you'll see that they have to run all over the place to get to you.
#14 Oct 25 2009 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
***
2,155 posts
That's interesting. I started playing at PS2 launch but I didn't play a whole lot for the first six months, so I was never aware there was a change made to mob behavior. Still, seeing as how they quickly changed mob behavior in XI to allow that kind of action from an enemy, I wouldn't put it past them to program mob behavior in that fashion out the gate this time around.
____________________________
Chanchan - Mithra - Titan Phoenix
THF
#15 Oct 25 2009 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
*
145 posts
Quote:
Enemies in XI could chase us up completely vertical terrain


This was kind of irritating. It would be nice if they made the monster find a path rather than running up vertical walls. It takes the tactic out of positioning. I understand it could be abused, but you should be rewarded with a tactical advantage for chosing an advantagious position.




Edited, Oct 25th 2009 4:21pm by sirhenrywalton
#16 Oct 25 2009 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
977 posts
LadyOfHolyDarkness, Eater of Souls wrote:
ChanchanXI wrote:
Enemies in XI could chase us up completely vertical terrain


This wasn't always the case. They changed most of the original zones to be like this around December of 2003... possibly a little bit after that. I remember when I started playing FFXI, you used to be able to shoot sheep in La Theine from above while standing on a cliff, and you could slowly whittle an IT down as long as you had enough arrows. To my knowledge, the only zone that still uses the original rules that forced enemies to find a real path to their targets is Palborough Mines. If you hit a Quadav in with a ranged attack or a spell in the ramp rooms there, you'll see that they have to run all over the place to get to you.


Lol, only they wouldn't come alone, and instead bring the rest of their turtle friends with them. Those links were crazy.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#17 Oct 25 2009 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
Pluelf wrote:
Lol, only they wouldn't come alone, and instead bring the rest of their turtle friends with them. Those links were crazy.


Made for good farming though... at least before they nerfed drops from AoE trainkilling.
#18 Oct 26 2009 at 3:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
LadyOfHolyDarkness, Eater of Souls wrote:
ChanchanXI wrote:
Enemies in XI could chase us up completely vertical terrain


This wasn't always the case. They changed most of the original zones to be like this around December of 2003... possibly a little bit after that. I remember when I started playing FFXI, you used to be able to shoot sheep in La Theine from above while standing on a cliff, and you could slowly whittle an IT down as long as you had enough arrows. To my knowledge, the only zone that still uses the original rules that forced enemies to find a real path to their targets is Palborough Mines. If you hit a Quadav in with a ranged attack or a spell in the ramp rooms there, you'll see that they have to run all over the place to get to you.
If there is a way for monsters to get up to you via a regular path (ie something a player could use to get both up and down without having to hit a switch) they will go via that path. If there is absolutely no way for them to get to you without zoning/hitting some trigger they will simply defy logic and beeline towards you. I've made mobs run around in funny ways in far more places than Palborough mines. "Pre-emptive strike" Mamool ja assault comes to mind.
____________________________
drk = 80 sam = 76
pld = 79 thf= 80
nin = 80 drg = 75
mnk = 76 war = 52

Retired for now ^ ***** you Abyssea. FFXIV woo eh..
milich wrote:
buttfucking
#19 Oct 26 2009 at 3:50 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
The problem with monsters going up vertical terrain is latency issues.
On the server they probably actually do walk up a hill and go around that way, but when it reaches your PC it maps it so they come up to you the fastest way possible to catch up, which makes it appear like they're going up a wall.

That's probably another important thing. The character mapping wasn't all that great sometimes, and the lag between characters in regards to where they're stood and where they move was actually a good 3-4 seconds long no matter how fast your connection was.
____________________________
Meowth!
#20 Oct 26 2009 at 3:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
I thought jumping was a stupid feature to add, but it's kind of cool in Aion.
It just helps in making the world feel more real and explorable if you can jump around and on top of/over things. I never was a WoW fan so I'm not really familiar with the jumping 'issue' on that game, but if people are just standing around jumping all day the problem is clearly related to the community.
It's not like the jump has to be some unrealistic trampouline jump. It can just be a small realistic one. (I don't want to see jelly beans unrealistically bouncing around either)
____________________________
MUTED
#21 Oct 26 2009 at 6:53 AM Rating: Good
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
One thing that kind of bothers me about the gameplay footage is the appearance of the chat window displaying combat information. I hope to god they add some form of scrolling combat text, so that I can actually use my chat window for chat this time around. It used to get hard to keep up with LS chat while soloing on my BST because of all of the spam. And filtering would only get you so far. :/
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#22 Oct 26 2009 at 10:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I wouldn't like jumping for the sake of jumping but jumping for the sake of platforming i think may be cool. I wouldn't mind, like someone said, an action button to jump strictly when jumping is necessary (as in a ditch in the way, little hill you're trying to get over, etc.). I was also thinking it'd be pretty cool to have some platforming elements - simple one, not like Uncharted 2, such as climbing over a higher ledge, or jumping down from a higher ledge by hanging off the edge and releasing (so as to attain minimal damage from the distance jumping) etc. What do you guys think? Either way, jumping for the sake of "passing time" is what I would dislike, everyone will be jumping around for no reason at all.

P.S. TC, I wouldn't take much of what you saw at GamesCom as a good reflection of a final product. But i would like to say that FFXI had a LOT of music pieces, great ones too, and the areas that didn't have them were trying to set a certain atmosphere (such as Valkurm Dunes for example, its lack of music was telling you "you're in ****").
____________________________
MUTED
#23 Oct 26 2009 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Oct 26 2009 at 10:27 AM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#25 Oct 26 2009 at 10:31 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
That's what I said. Smiley: mad
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#26 Oct 26 2009 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
That's what I said. Smiley: mad
Learn to be more to the point. Smiley: mad
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#27 Oct 26 2009 at 10:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
727 posts
I don't need to jump, just being able to lift my leg six inches and step over a pebble will do.
____________________________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

#28 Oct 27 2009 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
Aside from constant bunny hopping killing the atmosphere?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#29 Oct 27 2009 at 9:28 AM Rating: Default
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
shintasama wrote:
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
Aside from constant bunny hopping killing the atmosphere?
Yeah, okay. Because that's not the most retarded thing I've ever heard or anything.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#30 Oct 27 2009 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Zackary wrote:
shintasama wrote:
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
Aside from constant bunny hopping killing the atmosphere?
Yeah, okay. Because that's not the most retarded thing I've ever heard or anything.
It's hard to take **** seriously with people jumping around in circles, it looks stupid. I don't know why you think that's retarded?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#31Zackary, Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 11:38 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You're really grasping at straws, aren't you?
#32StrijderVechter, Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 12:02 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) See, you're trying to combat the logic that jumping "kills" immersion in a video game and that bunny hopping makes it less realistic. They completely ignore the fact that NOT including jumping is what actually kills the ability to immerse yourself into your character and makes the game more realistic.
#33 Oct 27 2009 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Zackary wrote:
shintasama wrote:
Zackary wrote:
shintasama wrote:
Zackary wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The only legitimate reason for a Jump function is to keep from getting stuck on shoddily constructed environment, like tiny hills and stairs. There is no argument against that.
There are no real arguments against it, either. I can't even believe people make such a big deal over it.
Aside from constant bunny hopping killing the atmosphere?
Yeah, okay. Because that's not the most retarded thing I've ever heard or anything.
It's hard to take sh*t seriously with people jumping around in circles, it looks stupid. I don't know why you think that's retarded?
You're really grasping at straws, aren't you?
no?
Quote:
They completely ignore the fact that NOT including jumping is what actually kills the ability to immerse yourself into your character and makes the game more realistic.
When is the last time you bunny hopped over an object to bypass it IRL? or just jumped around while someone talked to you? "Climbing" or "step over" might make sense for certain situations, but jumping is pretty silly most of the time.


What they really should do is not shape the terrain in such a manner that you get stuck on 3 inch ledges and stairs.

Edited, Oct 27th 2009 2:21pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#34 Oct 27 2009 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts


That's alot harder than it sounds.

Besides, it's not the jump that annoys people, it's people that annoy people.
#35 Oct 27 2009 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
Quote:
When is the last time you bunny hopped over an object to bypass it IRL? or just jumped around while someone talked to you? "Climbing" or "step over" might make sense for certain situations, but jumping is pretty silly most of the time.
I may not JUMP, but I do a lot of other obnoxious things. Jumping, at least to me, was always something I've done absentntly while explaining a fight, talking in chat, etc. I really see it as the equivalent to twiddling your thumbs while listening to someone irl.


But that's just the only explanation I can come up with when I overthink it. I can't pretend I actually give a sh*t whether or not it's added, though. :/

Edit for typo.

Edited, Oct 27th 2009 3:24pm by Zackary
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#36 Oct 27 2009 at 4:25 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
92 posts
I just watched all the vids on the link site.

To me, XIV looks like a new XI. The races are clearly the same, the combat, the movement and even the zones.

For years people have been complaining about PS2 limitations, this seems like SE is saying "Fine! here's FFXI without PS2 limitations!"

I am incredibly underwhelmed at what I saw; ;

I will, no doubt, be playing it though^^

I just hope they have a uniform release date now that they have an installed audience outside of Japan. If the JP keep it to themselves until the first expansion on XIV like on XI, I might actually pass on it.

Edited, Oct 27th 2009 5:33pm by Dryr
____________________________
~75s(in order)~
75 WAR
75 BLM
75 WHM
75 MNK
75 BRD
75 RNG
75 NIN
Next: COR?
#37 Oct 27 2009 at 4:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Dryr, read on it and you'll see its not an upgraded FFXI apart from the art style and character models, it doesn't go past that. The videos in my opinion were slow and cannot possibly be an indication of the gameplay in the game. They want to make a faster paced game, so how in the world would it make sense for them to make it slower? I don't buy it, the GameCom vids aren't the ones we're anxiously awaiting FFXIV for as a result, we're going to see something cool soon enough thats probably more indicative of the final product. I hope I get a PS3 beta invite, i can't wait to give this game a go.
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Oct 27 2009 at 4:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
Dryr wrote:
I just watched all the vids on the link site.
To me, XIV looks like a new XI. The races are clearly the same, the combat, the movement and even the zones.


Might want to do a little more research there, chief.

There's some pretty significant differences that can be observed. Although we really won't know the extent of such differences until SE finally releases some good information or the beta comes.

Edited, Oct 27th 2009 3:48pm by Kirbster
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#39 Oct 28 2009 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
**
621 posts
Not jumping sucks
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#40 Oct 29 2009 at 12:35 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
129 posts
I honestly can't get over how the Lalafell has that little slow down motion thing. Crazy amount of realism in that motion.
#41 Oct 30 2009 at 9:37 AM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
Jumping is something that has never occured to me to do in any Final Fantasy. I think most PC users are just used to their spacebar doing something, not realizing that people play FFXI and will play FFXIV with controllers. X and O are for navigating menus and making selections in an RPG, not for jumping. In fact, I imagine most players and especially reviewers would complain about a controller button being wasted on a jump feature, especially when it serves no real purpose in the context of the game. I don't remember any clamor for jumping in FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, or FFXII. And I'm sure none of you will think, "Gee, FFXIII is great, but if only they added jumping it would have gotten a perfect 10." It's an RPG, not a platformer. If you want context-sensitive jumping/climbing/stepping, like was shown in one of the recent FFXIII videos, then I'm all for it, but there's simply no justifiable need for free physics-based jumping.

Unless you want the type of Dragon Ball Z hillarity that is Dissidia, realistic characters can't jump 10 feet in the air like they do in most MMOs (say what you will about fantasy planet X's gravity), especially if they're carrying a backpack full of weapons, armor, and other assorted heaviness. Don't even try to argue about Dragoons, because if you're going to accept that type of jumping is physically possible, everyone should be able to vault off the screen when they hit their spacebar just like that. And there wouldn't be stairs or elevators.

Quote:
I really see it as the equivalent to twiddling your thumbs while listening to someone irl.


It is twiddling your thumbs. Just your left thumb. Which happens to be on your spacebar.
#42 Nov 01 2009 at 6:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,087 posts
Quote:
especially if they're carrying a backpack full of weapons, armor, and other assorted heaviness.


Well then they shouldn't be able to run constantly as long as the run button is held either. Don't try to add a realistic aspect to these games. It would detract from the fun. Next our characters will have to sleep 8 hours a day and consume food at least twice a day in order to survive. not fun.

Quote:
Don't even try to argue about Dragoons, because if you're going to accept that type of jumping is physically possible, everyone should be able to vault off the screen when they hit their spacebar just like that. And there wouldn't be stairs or elevators.


Wow, really? You think that type of jumping is unrealistic? Well, then lets get rid of spell casting. Thats unrealistic too. Oh, and any other race then humans. Because, that as you know. Is unrealistic. Oh, and cross race armor. It shouldnt fit multiple races so lets get rid of it because it's unrealistic.

Okay, I'm done being sarcastic. Don't try to provide an argument against jumping. There is none. It's all about weather you like it or not. I personally like it because it opens up the world with the lack of running into invisible walls because there is a small crack on the ground.

On one final note a few of you keep telling me that this is the alpha build and not final. yes, I get that. Thanks for the update. But if I don't voice my opinions on what I would like CHANGED, then there is always a chance it wont be. And that alpha will become a beta and then a final build with those problems I mentioned still in it.
#43 Nov 01 2009 at 8:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
224 posts
Jumping.

Quote:
Don't try to provide an argument against jumping. There are none. It's all about weather you like it or not.


I don't like it.

Happy?

Well I'm not. I do have an arguement against jumping. If you add jumping you add quests about jumping. Like that one quest to jump to the top of that one tower. Which one you say? The tallest, most narrow, most difficult to climb one, that's which one. You get the same problems with free roam flying mounts.

Quote:
not fun.


Why is the treasure chest always on the tallest tower?
#44 Nov 01 2009 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
*
145 posts
Quote:
Well then they shouldn't be able to run constantly as long as the run button is held either. Don't try to add a realistic aspect to these games. It would detract from the fun. Next our characters will have to sleep 8 hours a day and consume food at least twice a day in order to survive. not fun.


I might have to disagree a bit, because to some degree this would be fun. ex: Tomagachi
#45 Nov 01 2009 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
134 posts
So, I play a taru in FFXI, and I guess I'm the only one that can't stand the lallafel (spelling). I won't be playing one in 14. The way they look with the pear shaped body to their animation, to the looks of their faces is a turn off for me. Very disappointed.

As for jumping, I think it should have been included. It's obviously not, and probably won't be... so the argument is kind of a waste of time, but I played eq2 for several years and they have a jump button. Only occasionally did players spam jump; it really didn't happen that much... usually only during down time.

What it does add is more gameplay elements. Hopping over a tree stump or up a ledge is one thing, and can be accomplished other ways besides implementing a jump button. But, being able to design maps that require some mario skills adds a new element of gameplay. For example, there is a map in eq2 that requires you to hop across several moving platforms to click a lever that opens a door.

You can jump off massive waterfalls and land in the pool below (which you can swim in and even fight marine life underwater). You take falling damage and will kill yourself if you jump from a huge cliff without landing in water. The scout classes get the safefall skill which as you skill up you take less and less falling damage. Some races like the cat race get safe fall no matter what class, some get feather fall like faries and elves.

Anyway, I think jumping could have added a lot to the gameplay. You can climb up cliff walls and ladders and such too in eq2 btw. Bring the game into the Z-axis. As far as realism or whatever... in many other RPGs, particularly table-top, you have to jump/levitate and do all sorts of acrobatics to win a scenario. Some even have an acrobatic skill which you roll to successfully complete a super backflip with 2 twists to land on a guys head from the shadows of a wooden beam in the ceiling.

Edited, Nov 1st 2009 1:49pm by xXMalevolenceXx
#46 Nov 01 2009 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
When is the last time you bunny hopped over an object to bypass it IRL? or just jumped around while someone talked to you? "Climbing" or "step over" might make sense for certain situations, but jumping is pretty silly most of the time.


It's called parkour and it's the most awesome thing ever. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#47 Nov 01 2009 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,017 posts
In WoW (I know) some instance bosses are actually designed so you have to jump to not get hurt by attacks or not get DoTs stacked on you. It adds a great aspect to fights.
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#48 Nov 01 2009 at 3:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
217 posts
Simple answer is simple. How do you keep the option of overcoming uneven terrain while staying in the tradition final fantasy canon list? The float spell of course. Since we can change jobs on the fly, let one of the staff type mages learn the float spell. Character goes up a height level equal to twice a Galka. Good enough to get over the annoyances in La thiene and some of attowah's mount doom, yet not enough to fly into the sky in outdoor areas or save you from the trap door in castle O. No more disruptive than casting invis on a chocobo rider. Adds strategy without becoming asinine. Tremors from a worm keeping you down? Float. Kirin's stonega XIX wiping the mages? Float them. Problem solved.

Edited, Nov 1st 2009 4:29pm by Randomscrub
____________________________
Randomscrub - An Odin tradition since 10/03

75BST/75BRD/56BLM/51DNC/37WHM/37NIN/33WAR/17SMN/20COR/15THF/12MNK/10RDM

Cooking 1-100, how I did it...
100.0 Cooking
#49 Nov 01 2009 at 8:39 PM Rating: Decent
Prettier Than You
*****
12,966 posts
The One and Only Deadgye wrote:
Quote:
When is the last time you bunny hopped over an object to bypass it IRL? or just jumped around while someone talked to you? "Climbing" or "step over" might make sense for certain situations, but jumping is pretty silly most of the time.


It's called parkour and it's the most awesome thing ever. Smiley: tongue
Probably the most amazing parkour team ever.
____________________________
Did you lose faith?
Yes, I lost faith in the powers that be.
But in doing so I came across the will to disagree.
And I gave up. Yes, I gave up, and then I gave in.
But I take responsibility for every single sin. ♪ ♫


Thank god I stopped playing MMOs.
#50 Nov 02 2009 at 10:56 PM Rating: Decent
if they has swimming in ffx, and jumping (climbing? it's been awhile) in ffx-2, why not implement them into ffxiv? it's a tad of programming, i understand, but it's worth it for the added realism/convinience

honestly, with the beautiful gameplay footage, which is only alpha, mind you, i can very much see jumping, climbing and swimming done easily.
#51 Nov 02 2009 at 11:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
435 posts
The problem with jumping is the vast differences in heights of the races. nobody can jump higher than their head, most not higher than their waist, so how would you account for terrain that a elvaan could jump over, but a tarutaru could not? Also nobody can jump as high wearing platemail as they can naked. This would "ruin the immersion" as you all like to claim so much.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)