Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

What are your fears or worries regrading FFXIV?Follow

#152 Feb 03 2010 at 1:09 AM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
make jobs well rounded so that the whole I can't ever beat X event to get Y piece cause i dont have Z job @ 75 nor have any interest in it but the elitest sever im on wont take me on the run cause i have LOLX job

true this doesnt apply to most of us but job favoritism kills the ppl who didnt lvl the popular jobs and no it shouldn't be a matter of "well then lvl it" it should be any job will do for events, no it wouldnt be redundant it would be more fun, and you can still have different outcomes of a fight with different jobs but with equally positive end results.
If i find on a thread a months after release how some piece like SH back in the day is superior to all others in short if you dont have this piece for "war" lets say then your lol and you fail etc i love the gear in ffxi im going to miss seeing the stats and the drops but the fact that all gear in ffxi is automatically scaled and judged - the whole fashion / elitest concept is fail and yes of course there should be harder unobtainable pieces - but within reason and situationally at best.

Also just to add fuel to the fire, smn broken how? you should be nerfed for the next 2 SE releases with your smn burns getting n00bs to 75 with no experience and ruining us pt makers when those same nubs ruin our day.
the only thing that needs to be fixed smn wise is the elvaan smn posing crap its distasteful to say the least.
and about that whole WoW Clone thing (since i'm too lazy to scroll and copy paste) my 2 Gil on wow i think we can all agree to a certain extent anyone who feels strongly for ffxi as there game as do I;
Its not even that wow fails from a serious gamers point of view or the millions of other things we can sharpshoot off of it all day, its the simple fact that we all want ff-watever to be as loved and popular as WoW, and WoW's success is not due to its quality as a game.It simply hit the marketing mark. I want ffxiv to be filled with peeps to enjoy adventuring with cause thats why I play a mmo in the first place or i would just play 1 player games on 360. its the social aspect that attracts me so all I would want from WoW are the numbers they have as far as a fanbase. That and i like the pvp horde/alliance thing kinda like a war going on at all times, ffxi sort of has conflicts during the time too but not between each other. everything else WoWish is complete crap to me.



Edited, Feb 3rd 2010 2:11am by goblinpimp
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#153 Feb 07 2010 at 6:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
I worry that they will NOT have a guard as you enter the city that says, "Welcome to Cornelia!"
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#154 Feb 07 2010 at 7:21 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
My greatest fear is that those lazy e-peen DD players still won't play any support/mage classes. So what ends up happening is a select group of people are always stuck playing the support classes with no flexibility. Because of this concern, I'm more likely to join an endgame LS this time around as a melee class.
#155 Feb 07 2010 at 7:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Maybe offer double points at events to people who're able to bring more then one role to the ls. Bet they will level a support job fast...
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#156 Feb 07 2010 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
*
191 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
My greatest fear is that those lazy e-peen DD players still won't play any support/mage classes. So what ends up happening is a select group of people are always stuck playing the support classes with no flexibility. Because of this concern, I'm more likely to join an endgame LS this time around as a melee class.


My biggest fear is those people who think everyone should play brd because it's "necessary". Some jobs just aren't suited for some people but certain meatheads don't seem to understand that.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#157 Feb 07 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,814 posts
Smelly wrote:
I disagree. I believe elitism and competition can go too far and ruin a game.

Then you'd be wrong. It that appears to be the case, then what you have is a badly designed game, not bad players.

Asking players not to optimizing in an MMORPG is like holding a race and asking people not to run very fast. Not only is it contrary to the explicit goal of the game, but what you determine to be "too fast" is completely arbitrary, baseless, and varies amongst everyone. You may think your hauby makes you an acceptably equipped player, and that the guy with the hauby +1 is optimizing and trying too hard, but there's a guy running around at level 75 in starting clothes who thinks your hauby is optimizing too far, and you're no more right about the +! guy than the starting clothes guy is about you.
#158 Feb 07 2010 at 9:00 AM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
flukedrk wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
My greatest fear is that those lazy e-peen DD players still won't play any support/mage classes. So what ends up happening is a select group of people are always stuck playing the support classes with no flexibility. Because of this concern, I'm more likely to join an endgame LS this time around as a melee class.


My biggest fear is those people who think everyone should play brd because it's "necessary". Some jobs just aren't suited for some people but certain meatheads don't seem to understand that.


It's not just the "BRD's" who get taken advantage of, it's basically every job that's NOT a melee, including the tanks. I'm sorry, but I have a pretty strong opinion on this because I had a rl friend who played "WAR" and would literally click attack, walk away and get a drink, weapon skill, walk away to go to the bathroom, come back and ***** for haste, walk away to put on some music, skillchain. A lot of players say that "a job is not for them" when in reality "doing work" is not for them. I'm not applying this to ALL melee players because I also have met some who take their jobs very seriously and lead events/strategies or what have you, but out of the majority of people I knew best, the mage's and tanks worked much harder than everyone else because there were less of them (no matter how diverse you make the melee class, it is still melee in my opinion) and unfortunately clicking "attack" does not automatically cast spells that save people's lives. I absolutely hate how it is possible for some jobs to simply walk away from their characters and let SE do all the work for them.

Oh, and then of course you had those DD players who didn't even bother to try and control hate or cast shadows because it was "easier to let the mages cure them and then pull hate and wipe."
#159 Feb 07 2010 at 4:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:

It's not just the "BRD's" who get taken advantage of, it's basically every job that's NOT a melee, including the tanks. I'm sorry, but I have a pretty strong opinion on this because I had a rl friend who played "WAR" and would literally click attack, walk away and get a drink, weapon skill, walk away to go to the bathroom, come back and ***** for haste, walk away to put on some music, skillchain. A lot of players say that "a job is not for them" when in reality "doing work" is not for them. I'm not applying this to ALL melee players because I also have met some who take their jobs very seriously and lead events/strategies or what have you, but out of the majority of people I knew best, the mage's and tanks worked much harder than everyone else because there were less of them (no matter how diverse you make the melee class, it is still melee in my opinion) and unfortunately clicking "attack" does not automatically cast spells that save people's lives. I absolutely hate how it is possible for some jobs to simply walk away from their characters and let SE do all the work for them.

Oh, and then of course you had those DD players who didn't even bother to try and control hate or cast shadows because it was "easier to let the mages cure them and then pull hate and wipe."


Amen brother, it's good to see someone else is using their head around here. To that that guy who thought my post was all about BRD's, it wasn't at all. All mage and support classes which includes BRD, COR, BLU, and DNC plus all the mage classes. Bluefirefly nailed my point perfectly. For some reason, SE horrible unbalanced the skill required for support classes to melee DD's. Ironically most career DD's pick BRD(if they are forced to level a support) because that's the easiest support class to play out of all support classes especially during endgame. I'm glad SE removed auto attack in FFXIV. It's a good start to balance the difficulty of the melee classes to their mage counterparts. Oh, RNG's and COR's had to manually shoot in FFXI already, just in case someone reading doesn't know.

The hate control issue is another pet peeve of mine. Because I'm a career mage, I saw this every day. Some melee have no concept of hate control. The ironic thing is that all jobs need to be aware of it. The tank, support, mages, and melee DD. Far too often I hear, X PLD sucks because Y melee stole hate because he left on Souleater or stacked abilities. Yet said Y DD never let X PLD establish hate before unloading his 1337 WS.
#160 Feb 07 2010 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
(bad english inc.)

-pets do not scale with gear.

no matter how powerful you can make pet job at lunch or how varied Pet's Growth system it has... the one thing that change and grow as the MMORPG life goes.. is gear! developers don't catch this until its too late, and it takes devs with balls to actually fix the ever issue with pet jobs "scaling with gear" (ex. blizzard devs).

having specific gear for master or for pet doesn't work, it takes more resources to make said gears, and pet job will have to farm and grind twice as much as non-pet jobs (if we assumed the devs actually care about providing good pet-job gears selection in the first place..), besides, gear slots are LIMITED having master or pet gear will not give the full benefit for pet jobs that has 50/50 effectiveness between the master and his/her pet!

splitting pet-jobs gear between master or pet could only work if:
- (+90/-10) pet/master ratio in overall effectiveness of the job (ex. SMN).
it didn't work so well in ffxi cuz the gear selections for SMN's avatars was very limited and it was out of the norm, meaning it wasn't available like magic and melee gear from the start..
- (-10/+90) pet/master ratio in overall effectiveness of the job (ex. DRG).
worked in FFXI becuz guess what! DRG masters are good as melee jobs with very good gear selection since they can use melee gear as non-pet jobs!
(and their pets weren't dimensioned that much because of the gear swap mechanic..)
- pet got their own gear slots!


If ff14 pet's doesn't scale with gear.. I see no future for pet's fighting style to ever last...






Edited, Feb 7th 2010 6:45pm by Bhujerba
____________________________
The time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women.
#161 Feb 07 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Amen brother, it's good to see someone else is using their head around here. To that that guy who thought my post was all about BRD's, it wasn't at all. All mage and support classes which includes BRD, COR, BLU, and DNC plus all the mage classes. Bluefirefly nailed my point perfectly. For some reason, SE horrible unbalanced the skill required for support classes to melee DD's. Ironically most career DD's pick BRD(if they are forced to level a support) because that's the easiest support class to play out of all support classes especially during endgame. I'm glad SE removed auto attack in FFXIV. It's a good start to balance the difficulty of the melee classes to their mage counterparts. Oh, RNG's and COR's had to manually shoot in FFXI already, just in case someone reading doesn't know.

The hate control issue is another pet peeve of mine. Because I'm a career mage, I saw this every day. Some melee have no concept of hate control. The ironic thing is that all jobs need to be aware of it. The tank, support, mages, and melee DD. Far too often I hear, X PLD sucks because Y melee stole hate because he left on Souleater or stacked abilities. Yet said Y DD never let X PLD establish hate before unloading his 1337 WS.


Sister* >.> You don't really know the pain of a support job until you actually play one for an extended period of time. To this day I still don't think I feel adequate sympathy for the people who had to play PLD. And this issue was the main reason I switched over to AoC for a little while. You actually have to choose everything you do from the spells you cast to the direction you swing your weapon or how you block with your shield. If that game didn't cater to every crybaby out there who lost a PvP match I'd probably have played a longer than one summer.
#162 Feb 07 2010 at 9:44 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
My biggest fear is not having diverse parties or not having parties at all. I also think they made FFXI a little backwards. These are my hopes for FFXIV:

1. Make fighting in the beginning easier and finish the game with it alot harder. FFXI was backwards here. I only played to 60 in ToAU, but by then everything died so easy the game had no challenge, no skillchaining, and no teamwork or thought. The forests around level 25-30 had all of these and were probably the funnest levels to me.

2. Don't cap mob exp. Let us fight high risk/high reward long fights. FFXI encourages players to fight the easiest mob in the easiest zones by making it about exp chains. I don't want to finish the game killing a million birds an hour. I want to take down a big brontosaurus with fangs that requires everyone to be awesome to even win. A dinosaur should have enough health that its beneficial to skillchain, as opposed to a half dead bird that wants to eat your pie.

3. Have "skillchain experience" and only allow skillchains with other jobs. If there are three gladiators in your party I'm sorry but you should suck. We're in America, and here we like to promote diversity. ***** you if you don't like it. Let us earn skillchain experience when partying with certain jobs to promote players to seek the rare jobs when forming parties so people can gain more skillchain experience. Encourage diverse skillchain experience somehow. Allow 3 or 4 person skillchains. Make skillchain damage larger.

4. Have some sort of skill in combat that rewards paying attention. Maybe have us enter Sabin-like codes across players for skillchains and reward quicker input with higher damage. This idea might be stupid.

5. No utsusemi. If it helps balance, don't have subjobs. SE outsmarted themselves with this, and it resulted in /NIN-fest. If a big scary monster is trying to kill you, it should have some chance of actually hitting you. If I were a mob in FFXI, I would cry because I suck at life.

6. Make it easier to form parties and get everyone transported to their camp faster. Someone said a queue-I would love that.
#163 Feb 07 2010 at 10:19 PM Rating: Good
I would say that

huram wrote:
3. Have "skillchain experience" and only allow skillchains with other jobs. If there are three gladiators in your party I'm sorry but you should suck. We're in America, and here we like to promote diversity. ***** you if you don't like it. Let us earn skillchain experience when partying with certain jobs to promote players to seek the rare jobs when forming parties so people can gain more skillchain experience.


and

Quote:
6. Make it easier to form parties and get everyone transported to their camp faster. Someone said a queue-I would love that.


are fairly contradictory, no?
#164 Feb 07 2010 at 10:24 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
Quote:
are fairly contradictory, no?


Correct indeed. I'd probably prefer #3, but most people on here hated waiting for parties.

Edited, Feb 7th 2010 11:26pm by huram
#165 Feb 08 2010 at 12:11 AM Rating: Good
huram wrote:
Quote:
are fairly contradictory, no?


Correct indeed. I'd probably prefer #3, but most people on here hated waiting for parties.


I don't necessarily disagree with your point of view as I understand it, I think that maybe I just agree for different reasons.

The last thing I want to see is a repeat of FFXI where certain jobs are considered useless by the community for any length of time. We don't need another DRG fiasco. The best way to avoid that is to be less restrictive about what constitutes a functional party, which means that if you need to be overly selective in who you group with in order to get "good" results, forming groups becomes that much more difficult. More difficult means more time consuming. More time consuming is the antithesis of what SE has said they want for FFXIV.
#166 Feb 08 2010 at 12:34 AM Rating: Default
*
223 posts
I need to start keeping track of my sources but I could have sworn I read somewhere that there is a much better balance between solo'ing and grouping in FFXIV so the waiting for party thing wouldn't be such a huge issue. I could be wrong though. Has anyone else read this? I would really like to see more success in smaller groups in this game. I have always been a fan of pairing up with one other person (like a tank-mage or DD-mage duo) and, although taking more time to do so, leveling and completing quests that way. Obviously I think that endgame should require large groups as it normally does, but I definitely don't want to have to be in a party with 5 other people to get good experience at all times. Sometimes it's just not worth putting up with everyone else who plays.
#167 Feb 08 2010 at 1:48 AM Rating: Decent
*
128 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:
I need to start keeping track of my sources but I could have sworn I read somewhere that there is a much better balance between solo'ing and grouping in FFXIV so the waiting for party thing wouldn't be such a huge issue. I could be wrong though. Has anyone else read this? I would really like to see more success in smaller groups in this game. I have always been a fan of pairing up with one other person (like a tank-mage or DD-mage duo) and, although taking more time to do so, leveling and completing quests that way. Obviously I think that endgame should require large groups as it normally does, but I definitely don't want to have to be in a party with 5 other people to get good experience at all times. Sometimes it's just not worth putting up with everyone else who plays.


Yeah, bro I READ THAT TOO! Honestly, dude...you know way more than you give yourself credit for. But yeah, partying will be the ******* **** yo, cause I'm just trying to chill with some of my bros (you could be my bro too) and not have any randoms who suck at life.
____________________________
~Twangaz~
Server: Seraph
Tarutaru ~ 75BLM 75RDM 37WHM
#168 Feb 08 2010 at 5:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
huram wrote:
We're in America, and here we like to promote diversity. ***** you if you don't like it.


Not that I have anything against diversity, but this a global game (as in people from all around the world play it). It's not all about America.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#169 Feb 08 2010 at 5:57 AM Rating: Decent
**
566 posts
huram wrote:
My biggest fear is not having diverse parties or not having parties at all. I also think they made FFXI a little backwards. These are my hopes for FFXIV:

1. Make fighting in the beginning easier and finish the game with it alot harder. FFXI was backwards here. I only played to 60 in ToAU, but by then everything died so easy the game had no challenge, no skillchaining, and no teamwork or thought. The forests around level 25-30 had all of these and were probably the funnest levels to me.
After 60 levels of learning how to play your job, the other half of the grind to 75 shouldn't have had to be hard.

huram wrote:
2. Don't cap mob exp. Let us fight high risk/high reward long fights. FFXI encourages players to fight the easiest mob in the easiest zones by making it about exp chains. I don't want to finish the game killing a million birds an hour. I want to take down a big brontosaurus with fangs that requires everyone to be awesome to even win. A dinosaur should have enough health that its beneficial to skillchain, as opposed to a half dead bird that wants to eat your pie.
Obviously you weren't around when things were the way YOU would have preferred them, and people complained.

huram wrote:
3. Have "skillchain experience" and only allow skillchains with other jobs. If there are three gladiators in your party I'm sorry but you should suck. We're in America, and here we like to promote diversity. ***** you if you don't like it. Let us earn skillchain experience when partying with certain jobs to promote players to seek the rare jobs when forming parties so people can gain more skillchain experience. Encourage diverse skillchain experience somehow. Allow 3 or 4 person skillchains. Make skillchain damage larger.
Why shouldn't people be able to solo SC, which would be negated by not being able to SC with their own job? Makes no sense. Also, just because you're in America doesn't mean everyone else in the world is. The game's not even being produced by an American company...

huram wrote:
4. Have some sort of skill in combat that rewards paying attention. Maybe have us enter Sabin-like codes across players for skillchains and reward quicker input with higher damage. This idea might be stupid.
Huh? So not only do I have to time my ability right (not that it's hard), but I also have to input a code/do math/whatever to do a SC?

huram wrote:
5. No utsusemi. If it helps balance, don't have subjobs. SE outsmarted themselves with this, and it resulted in /NIN-fest. If a big scary monster is trying to kill you, it should have some chance of actually hitting you. If I were a mob in FFXI, I would cry because I suck at life.
/NIN is very situational. Very few jobs actually have a reason to full-time it. Many people who do full-time it outside of those jobs are lazy, ignorent about what is better, or just plain dumb.

huram wrote:
6. Make it easier to form parties and get everyone transported to their camp faster. Someone said a queue-I would love that.
Forming a party relies solely on how many people are interested in one and what jobs they want to do it with. It has nothing to do with the game design. Also, I'd prefer to be able to pick someone I know doesn't suck horribly at their job than someone who I either don't know at all, or know fails at what they need to do. No thanks on getting random person out of a list. First come first served only works at Burger King.
#170 Feb 08 2010 at 7:34 AM Rating: Decent
9 posts
1. Content be it solo , group and raid based. Also the amount of content and how it ties into the storyline.

2. How they handle spam / RMT and cheats.

3. Learning curve thats progressive.

4. Ease of play in retrospect to other mmos on the market.

- Xxar
#171 Feb 08 2010 at 10:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

I agree with making skillchains actually worth performing. More damage than in XI. Some kind of extra bonus would be nice, too. Exp bonus, debuff bonus, etc.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#172 Feb 08 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
**
566 posts
Threx wrote:

I agree with making skillchains actually worth performing. More damage than in XI. Some kind of extra bonus would be nice, too. Exp bonus, debuff bonus, etc.


Doing a SC that a mob is weak to is usually productive. Doing one it's strong against is probably not going to be as effective. What's wrong with a 1.5-2k+ light or darkness? Not enough for you?
#173 Feb 08 2010 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
DsComputer wrote:
Threx wrote:

I agree with making skillchains actually worth performing. More damage than in XI. Some kind of extra bonus would be nice, too. Exp bonus, debuff bonus, etc.


Doing a SC that a mob is weak to is usually productive. Doing one it's strong against is probably not going to be as effective. What's wrong with a 1.5-2k+ light or darkness? Not enough for you?


I think my issue with skillchaining was at lower levels. It really brought out the laziness in people because skillchains weren't effective at all. That's one of the reasons why parties in the Dunes were more of a chore than anywhere else. They should make it more important from the very start, though obviously the power should increase as your characters become stronger. The difficulty between playing a DD as opposed to a support class at lower levels was hideously unbalanced compared to at 75. Skillchains at lower levels would have helped with hate control and less WHM and BLM would get one-shot-killed.
#174 Feb 08 2010 at 11:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
DsComputer wrote:
Threx wrote:

I agree with making skillchains actually worth performing. More damage than in XI. Some kind of extra bonus would be nice, too. Exp bonus, debuff bonus, etc.


Doing a SC that a mob is weak to is usually productive. Doing one it's strong against is probably not going to be as effective. What's wrong with a 1.5-2k+ light or darkness? Not enough for you?


1.5-2k skillchain damage is pretty rare. Even using skillchains that mobs are weak to, it's usually more efficient to just spam WSs instead of setting up a skillchain.

I don't know about your LS, but my LS rarely ever bothered skillchaining against:

Merit party mobs
Land Kings
Sky HNMs
Dynamis Lord
Sea HNMs (including when we beat AV)
ToAU HNMs
Tiamat
Jormungand
Vrtra
Ouryu
Bahamut

Spamming WSs and Thundaga 3 gets everything done way better than any SC+MB does.

So to answer your question, no, a once-in-a-blue-moon 1.5k-2k SC on a worthless mob is not enough for me.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#175 Feb 08 2010 at 12:07 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:

I think my issue with skillchaining was at lower levels. It really brought out the laziness in people because skillchains weren't effective at all. That's one of the reasons why parties in the Dunes were more of a chore than anywhere else. They should make it more important from the very start, though obviously the power should increase as your characters become stronger. The difficulty between playing a DD as opposed to a support class at lower levels was hideously unbalanced compared to at 75. Skillchains at lower levels would have helped with hate control and less WHM and BLM would get one-shot-killed.


The reason why skill chains died more or less in parties had nothing to to do with the combat system. However, it was the party dynamic and the choice of mobs fought. For example, colibri can now be fought all the way to 75 easily in level sync TP burns starting at lv35ish. Quite frankly, BLM is the only job to really benefit from magic bursting(sorry SCH, RDM, and BLU). Since BLM's are a rare sight in your average party nowadays, that's why skill chains died out.

Hate control is a non-issue. The reason why WHM and BLM stole hate during those old style parties was because the party was over hunting or fighting crabs with no dispel. If you examine a party during an event such as Limbus with BLM's and DD's fighting the same mobs you'll see BLM's don't typically steal hate as easily and for good reason. In any situation where the mob is neutral to both magic and melee attacks, the melee do more damage hence the better hate control now. I think you're using 2004 arguments to convey your hate control point. It's so rare mages steal hate now and when we do, it's usually our own fault.
#176 Feb 08 2010 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
*
223 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
The reason why skill chains died more or less in parties had nothing to to do with the combat system. However, it was the party dynamic and the choice of mobs fought. For example, colibri can now be fought all the way to 75 easily in level sync TP burns starting at lv35ish. Quite frankly, BLM is the only job to really benefit from magic bursting(sorry SCH, RDM, and BLU). Since BLM's are a rare sight in your average party nowadays, that's why skill chains died out.

Hate control is a non-issue. The reason why WHM and BLM stole hate during those old style parties was because the party was over hunting or fighting crabs with no dispel. If you examine a party during an event such as Limbus with BLM's and DD's fighting the same mobs you'll see BLM's don't typically steal hate as easily and for good reason. In any situation where the mob is neutral to both magic and melee attacks, the melee do more damage hence the better hate control now. I think you're using 2004 arguments to convey your hate control point. It's so rare mages steal hate now and when we do, it's usually our own fault.


I still firmly believe skillchains should have been stronger at lower levels, and it's interesting you are referring to crabs because that was the one mob in the dunes I never had an issue with when it came to stealing hate. I am also not a fan of completely relying on magic bursting to make a skillchain worth it or not, which is why I find the issue with the combat system as well as the party dynamic. Hate control was never a huge issue with me, but that does not make it a non-issue by any means and the one example you have used is very limiting. The armor also significantly increases in worth the higher your level is, and merits also contribute to whether or not mages pull hate. I don't understand your reference to 2004 arguments but I'm definitely not referring to stealing hate at higher levels and maybe you are right about the lower levels as well, I haven't played one in a very long time seeing as I started this game back when I was 15 and that was 5 years ago. I'm speaking from my own experience, and no one used skillchains in the dunes while I was there on lizzards, crabs, flies, or anything else we fought, even with black mage being common in the party dynamic. Maybe I just got unlucky.
#177 Feb 08 2010 at 8:15 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
Quote:
Why shouldn't people be able to solo SC, which would be negated by not being able to SC with their own job? Makes no sense

FFXI was a great game, and it stands on its own merit. However, if removing solo SC's in FFXIV makes people stop partying SAM SAM SAM SAM SAM BRD,
then I'm all for it. Heavens forbid you have to party with a drg and its flea-infested pet.

Quote:
Also, just because you're in America doesn't mean everyone else in the world is. The game's not even being produced by an American company...

If I were going to market a movie to 300 million grandparents, I would make sure that there is no rap music in the movie. Games should cater to their audiences regardless of where they are produced. $80 Jeans from Taiwan better have holes in them when they are shipped here because its fashionable, or there's going to be lots of taiwanese jean-makers out of a job. You think I care at all about what people in taiwan think is cool? It's what we call a demand-based economy and its awesome.

Quote:
Huh? So not only do I have to time my ability right (not that it's hard), but I also have to input a code/do math/whatever to do a SC?

FFXI had a genius idea with Skillchains in my mind. They have this whole SC system that no one really ever bothers with. Instead of marking Skillchains as a failure and removing them from FFXIV, I hope they build on them(what this means I have no idea and I was just throwing ideas out).

Quote:
/NIN is very situational. Very few jobs actually have a reason to full-time it. Many people who do full-time it outside of those jobs are lazy, ignorent about what is better, or just plain dumb.

Agreed. Utsusemi was fun and useful in many situations in FFXI, but I hope SE realizes its time to move on.
#178 Feb 08 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Bluefirefly wrote:

I still firmly believe skillchains should have been stronger at lower levels, and it's interesting you are referring to crabs because that was the one mob in the dunes I never had an issue with when it came to stealing hate. I am also not a fan of completely relying on magic bursting to make a skillchain worth it or not, which is why I find the issue with the combat system as well as the party dynamic. Hate control was never a huge issue with me, but that does not make it a non-issue by any means and the one example you have used is very limiting. The armor also significantly increases in worth the higher your level is, and merits also contribute to whether or not mages pull hate. I don't understand your reference to 2004 arguments but I'm definitely not referring to stealing hate at higher levels and maybe you are right about the lower levels as well, I haven't played one in a very long time seeing as I started this game back when I was 15 and that was 5 years ago. I'm speaking from my own experience, and no one used skillchains in the dunes while I was there on lizzards, crabs, flies, or anything else we fought, even with black mage being common in the party dynamic. Maybe I just got unlucky.


Hate issue was a huge problem back when SC's and MB's were the norm. First starters, melee were forced to use crappy WS's to make a SC for the BLM to MB instead of doing decent damage on their own. Next party leaders liked those big XP numbers so they chose to over hunt their prey. This lead to melees who whiffed a lot and PLD's became a "MP sink" too. Crabs were the worst mob of all because you'd hit for 0's and 1's if you were a THF, NIN, or MNK.

Part of the reason people didn't do SC's that much in the dunes was because of the whiff factor. You have some guy sitting on TP forever while you have a DRK whiffing away like a drunk at the bar. By the time DD #1 had 200% TP, your DRK might have 100%. Remember there was no ACC gear besides the battle gloves at those levels. So the bottom line it was impractical if you were over hunting. I remember a single party taking place in the dunes full of high caliber players. I don't remember the SC when used, however I know we spammed WS after WS making pretty fireworks all party long.

Edited, Feb 8th 2010 10:36pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#179 Feb 09 2010 at 12:57 AM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
Quote:
FFXI the WoW killer


:D
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#180 Feb 13 2010 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
2 posts
This is a very long thread, so I'm sorry if I missed a post that pointed these out. However, there are two huge things people seem to be missing.

1. The worst aspect of FFXI's design in combat (especially at the higher levels) was gear swapping. I should not need to carry around 10 (or whatever) items to macro a weaponskill on my Samurai. I should decide between a more powerful buff or a faster buff when playing my bard-- I shouldn't have both because I have some sort of clever macro. Thankfully, I suspect this will be taken care of just by the way the combat system is built in XIV: if the game ties your class to a weapon, and armor is tied to class, then it's likely I'd be locked into the set of gear I'm wearing when I start a fight. This is a good thing: I'm required to make some decisions, I'm not required to clutter my inventory, I don't need to fight ten pages of macros to do what I need, and I have more time to actually play the game rather than fight a **** spreadsheet battle.

2. I dread single-character-single-class. The best part about FFXI's design, and one of the biggest things that gave it the community it earned, was a player could experience the entire game with one character. Someone early in the thread said this isn't a big deal; I say it is a huge deal. Why? The community.

Why is this important for the community? One character, one name. One reputation. If someone wants Rudric on Hades, there is only one Rudric (no other main characters) on Hades. And he's awesome. Or he thinks he is. If you need Rudric, you don't have to send tells to ten different characters (his alts); you know how to contact him just by knowing his name. Also, Rudric tries to at least seem friendly, since if he gained the reputation of being an @#%^ his only chance to fix things would be to change his name, change servers, or gtfo. He avoids all three of these, simply because (if he's a normal human that doesn't like spending money on e-names) he'd avoid them.

Yes, there are some people that play alts in FFXI. From the way alts are generally used (mules) in FFXI, however, they don't really fragment the social side of things. Unless you're one of those crazy people with multiple characters on your account with multiple 75s on each character. Those players do fragment the community, but the important thing is they are in the minority.

3. I know I said two, but I'd just like to say I hope Utsusemi dies in a fire.

Edited, Feb 13th 2010 8:50am by vanwarion
#181 Feb 13 2010 at 12:01 PM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
I would like more emphasis on the "main job" factor, ffxi once you had more than a few 75s the whole "main" thing goes away. Identity is important to me anyway.
I wish you could tag flagged members online so everyone knows your a ninja lotter or something cause I see many players that should be banned come back on other characters and no one knows its an old player on a new character and innocent ppl become victims of them in later events.
like a list of your previous characters in bazaar comment so you cant escape your notoriety.
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#182 Feb 14 2010 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
I actually think my biggest fear would be if SE fails to implement the basic infrastructure quality needed to run an MMO again (56k? even for '02, seriously come on...). I'm speaking of state of the art servers with multiple hubs in closer proximity to the majority of the fan base. No more having to ping Japan and losing precious seconds in some of the more twitch related situations; NMs etc. The main advantage to a strong, well crafted infrastructure is the fact that the developers will have the flexibility to try out more aggressive design ideas. From the beginning, I've often wondered if SE simply didnt have the resources available which 'could' explain why alot of ours and their great ideas were never realized.
I was a long time Wow hater. From the second I saw the game, the graphics, the westernized design, the mass of kiddos, etc, etc etc etc all completely put me off from the get go. However, a month ago I decided to play it to 'know my enemy' so to speak and just to see why that game has such an absolutely massive legion of rabid followers. Lets be very clear: I'm and FFXI'er first and foremost but SE should seriously study that game inside and out. For example, those who have never played it there is a Dungeon Finder tool. What this does is queue you for a group which combines you with players across all servers to xp or 'instance' in WoW. Its similar to putting your party flag up in XI but so much faster and easier. From what i understand, things like this are extremely server demanding tools. Imagine if XI had something like this combined with level sync etc. This feature alone would all but eliminate 99% of what turns newcomers off to XI: Party wait times.

A few things a FF party finder tool would solve:

-greatly reduced party wait times

-no punishment for leveling a less desirable DD/ or whatever class job

-ability to add and easily find groups to do 'Boss fights' starting from level, or I guess in XIVs case, weapon skill 10, 20, 30 and so on. (If this was combined with XI's level sync system and how low level gear lasts long into the characters life, I could see this giving endless possibilities)

-Zones that are simply pass-through-to-get-to-uber-camps-only could open up to become viable and break from the norm xp areas since traveling would be instant warps. Burib* peninsula comes to mind during Dunes levels which is something that always bothered me.

-Sweet spot camps would always be uncrowded if the leveling would be done on a dedicated server if preferred. User decided.

-Lower level missions and quests would not be the responsibility of ones linkshell or friends. Coming from a Help all ls that I was co-founder of, we finally had to start a minimum mission and quest requirement b/c we were completely exhausted from this.


I apologize about the wall of text. Basically I hope SE doesnt stay so completely stubborn and close minded as to simply refuse to learn. They dont need to copy but introduce other user friendly options which will not in anyway affect the core mechanics of FF's style or difficulty. I feel this will be the future of the genre and also make-or-break important for XIV.


Edited, Feb 14th 2010 1:51pm by BadIntentions
#183 Feb 14 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Decent
28 posts
Worries/Fears:

01. DLC micro-transactions for superior gear a la "Dragon Age."
02. Inventory space, or lack thereof.
03. World-shrinking transportation available too soon without having to work hard to unlock it.
04. Crafting system, either being unsatisfactorily easy or frustratingly hard.
05. Crabs.
06. Lack of character voices for emotes.
07. If #6 is fixed, then a lack of voice variation/customization would be heartbreaking.
08. Lack of cute summons or pets like Carbuncle or the Wyvern. I will miss having them by my side.
09. Lack of fan-sites that have good, reliable quest information. I have high hopes for Eorzeapedia.
10. Inexplicable errors that cause game crashes. FFXI was remarkably friendly to computers. If you've played WoW for any period of time, you'll realize that FFXI was not very finicky regarding crashing/errors.
11. Gilfinders. Ni hao.

I have relatively few worries about battles, story, music, graphics, major cities, atmosphere, community. That's all easy stuff for SE.

Edited, Feb 14th 2010 4:08pm by blackjacktwentyone
#184 Feb 14 2010 at 4:46 PM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
Quote:
My greatest fear is that those lazy e-peen DD players still won't play any support/mage classes. So what ends up happening is a select group of people are always stuck playing the support classes with no flexibility. Because of this concern, I'm more likely to join an endgame LS this time around as a melee class.


I hope not everyone follows suit or we wont have many mages lfp ;;
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#185 Feb 15 2010 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
1) Insane LFP waiting.
2) Having to repair your gear. What happens if you sold your old weapon to buy your new one, and the new one breaks 3 fights into your party? Then no one is a high enough skill level in your group to repair it?
3) What seems like the lack of a sub job. I don't really wanna consider this a fear just yet, cause we still have no idea how the job system is going to work.
4) Like others have said, I really hope we don't all instantly fall into the idea that only ABC combos work for the party, and if you have a new twist you want to try you better be prepared to go all the way solo.
5) Speaking of solo, I was never a huge fan of solo-ing things. I always felt like I was playing an MMO to play WITH other people. If I wanted to spend hours solo-ing I would just play a single player RPG. I understand that some things need to be done on your own, and so far a point has been made that solo won't be as boring in this game, I just hope that it holds true.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#186 Feb 15 2010 at 9:30 PM Rating: Good
6 posts
1.) WoW clone: Casual game play that any mindless person can learn how to play just by rolling their face on the keyboard and every so often hitting the I-WIN button... Trust me, I am a veteran WoW player with 4+ years of experience. I have done every single raid concept in WoW from Molten Core to Icecrown Citadel. I have various level 80s, a fully epic'd out t10 character and I have achieved gladiator PvP ranks along with many other meaningless achievements.

When playing FFXI I had a feeling that when I completed a task I actually had a sense of accomplishment. In WoW you never stood out from ANYBODY and you were more "dust in the wind" than anything. Gathering high end items never felt like that big of an accomplishment due to the fact that a patch later you can have the same gear by running random heroics for emblems. Also you can easily just PUG (pick up group) even the top end raids for gear. All this did was make me not want to play the game. Now and days in WoW you don't even have to leave the starting major cities once you hit level 10 and all the way up to max level (80)due to the easy LFG finder... Normally you can end up in a group with people half assing the whole dungeon doing 1/4 the output in which they can be doing.

Look at how WoW clones with BS twists like AoC and Warhammer ended. If people want to play WoW, then they will play WoW.

2.) Use the beautiful zones and environment: Going along with what I stated above. MAKE THE PEOPLE LEAVE TOWNS/CITIES! My least favorite thing to do in an MMO is being caught sitting in one of the major cities doing absolutely nothing. Implementing a warp to get to your camp faster is boring and has no thrill which means its less exciting.

3.) Do not make easy, half assed, no strategy, short, and easy end game encounters. I want to be able to say I killed X boss and have it mean something.

4.) Grouping > Solo-play: Grouping with people from your server helps form a better community... its just as plain as that. I don't want to go from level 1 to max level and not have to put anybody on my friends list. This is a Massive Multiplayer game... leave it that way. I believe FFXI did a fantastic job with this.

There is so much more I can say about what I don't want in FFXIV but these are just some of the basic things.

____________________________
Recent games played:
Currently: World of Warcraft - Too easy. No competition. No community. 99% of the time I stand in Orgrimmar/Dalaran in a queue to obtain gear that means nothing.
Age of Conan - WoW clone with terrible mechanics with a terrible developer.
Warhammer Online - WoW clone with twists in PvP and no endgame. Was also rushed into the market.
Aion - Bots & gold seller out the rear and a long pointless grind.
FFXIV - Don't fail me like these^ guys.
#187 Feb 15 2010 at 10:22 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
Skymind makes alot of great points about the group finder. I still feel a slightly tweeked auto party finder tool is an essential addition for XIV. Then again, Im going by FFXI's concept where 99% of exp parties are random PUGs you never see or hear from again anyhow, so whats the difference? In FF its just that unless you are a BRD, cor, healer, sam or tank of some sort, these single parties with total strangers sessions can take hours upon hours to even see an invite, let alone actually make it to a camp before everyone bails or loses interest. To boot, alot of those members that DO make it to camp are often clueless flakes who afk every 10 mins or pull many other gaff off tactics. If they choose to play that way then fine. The tool will have a replacement in queue before he/she even decides to fake d/c, leave for dinner, get it 'on' with his 'gf' (always love that one >.>) and would save the pt leader a royal pain in the as$ to find a rep. Even if major mission, quests or boss battles were removed from the auto-finder, simply finding ANYbody to form a basic xp group would improve XIs biggest flaw dramatically.
#188 Feb 15 2010 at 11:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
144 posts
No quests for exp. So leveling is fkn boring in this game hitting the same mob for 4 hours straight just to gain 1 lvl.
____________________________
Server: Alexander
Character Name: Lovestospoon
Level: 75 WHM
Crafts: 100 Cooking
#189 Feb 19 2010 at 8:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
I fear another 75 cap. It was just weird to stop there. Maybe 99 isn't the answer. But I would have killed at times for an 80 cap with a 40 subjob cap.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#190 Feb 20 2010 at 2:08 AM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
Quote:
Asking players not to optimizing in an MMORPG is like holding a race and asking people not to run very fast. Not only is it contrary to the explicit goal of the game, but what you determine to be "too fast" is completely arbitrary, baseless, and varies amongst everyone. You may think your hauby makes you an acceptably equipped player, and that the guy with the hauby +1 is optimizing and trying too hard, but there's a guy running around at level 75 in starting clothes who thinks your hauby is optimizing too far, and you're no more right about the +! guy than the starting clothes guy is about yo


ok so and if he is no more right about the +1 owner than the starting clothes guy is about him what does that prove? He is still probably right about the +1 owner.

Also I do not believe MMORPGs were intended for the purpose of scrutinizing dps via parsers etc and flaming those with -1 str less then them in there ws setup etc. Games are for enjoyment. What you enjoy in the world of the mmo you hang out in so be it. elitists will always be moping around in there leet gear waiting to be examined thinking the gaming world worships there feet assuming they are some sort of legend. Same with noobs who never outgrow there noobness.
and gil/gold buyers.
As long as FFXIV finds a way around players short sighting and reaching for that cookie cutter all elitists love to use, and maintains open doors for soloing questing even (unlikely) alternative methods to obtaining end game gear or skills for the person with not so much time to devote to the game. ( I am not talking about casual gamers but the dedicated who just cant work/school whatever)
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#191 Feb 20 2010 at 2:23 AM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
Quote:
huram wrote:
My biggest fear is not having diverse parties or not having parties at all. I also think they made FFXI a little backwards. These are my hopes for FFXIV:

1. Make fighting in the beginning easier and finish the game with it alot harder. FFXI was backwards here. I only played to 60 in ToAU, but by then everything died so easy the game had no challenge, no skillchaining, and no teamwork or thought. The forests around level 25-30 had all of these and were probably the funnest levels to me.
After 60 levels of learning how to play your job, the other half of the grind to 75 shouldn't have had to be hard.

huram wrote:
2. Don't cap mob exp. Let us fight high risk/high reward long fights. FFXI encourages players to fight the easiest mob in the easiest zones by making it about exp chains. I don't want to finish the game killing a million birds an hour. I want to take down a big brontosaurus with fangs that requires everyone to be awesome to even win. A dinosaur should have enough health that its beneficial to skillchain, as opposed to a half dead bird that wants to eat your pie.
Obviously you weren't around when things were the way YOU would have preferred them, and people complained.

huram wrote:
3. Have "skillchain experience" and only allow skillchains with other jobs. If there are three gladiators in your party I'm sorry but you should suck. We're in America, and here we like to promote diversity. ***** you if you don't like it. Let us earn skillchain experience when partying with certain jobs to promote players to seek the rare jobs when forming parties so people can gain more skillchain experience. Encourage diverse skillchain experience somehow. Allow 3 or 4 person skillchains. Make skillchain damage larger.
Why shouldn't people be able to solo SC, which would be negated by not being able to SC with their own job? Makes no sense. Also, just because you're in America doesn't mean everyone else in the world is. The game's not even being produced by an American company...

huram wrote:
4. Have some sort of skill in combat that rewards paying attention. Maybe have us enter Sabin-like codes across players for skillchains and reward quicker input with higher damage. This idea might be stupid.
Huh? So not only do I have to time my ability right (not that it's hard), but I also have to input a code/do math/whatever to do a SC?

huram wrote:
5. No utsusemi. If it helps balance, don't have subjobs. SE outsmarted themselves with this, and it resulted in /NIN-fest. If a big scary monster is trying to kill you, it should have some chance of actually hitting you. If I were a mob in FFXI, I would cry because I suck at life.
/NIN is very situational. Very few jobs actually have a reason to full-time it. Many people who do full-time it outside of those jobs are lazy, ignorent about what is better, or just plain dumb.

huram wrote:
6. Make it easier to form parties and get everyone transported to their camp faster. Someone said a queue-I would love that.
Forming a party relies solely on how many people are interested in one and what jobs they want to do it with. It has nothing to do with the game design. Also, I'd prefer to be able to pick someone I know doesn't suck horribly at their job than someone who I either don't know at all, or know fails at what they need to do. No thanks on getting random person out of a list. First come first served only works at Burger King.


lmao let Huram breathe..

ya I agree ffxi used to be different til ppl complained it was too hard and SE did the mistake of listening. and If you cant pick and choose who you have in your party thats bs. putting one together sucks to begin with you better have a voice in who is in or out. Hopefully there will be plenty solo options like FoV for those not interested in grouping.
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#192 Feb 20 2010 at 5:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
FoV was great.... when you couldn't get into/or didn't have time for a party. Hopefully they have something like that (or campaign) again if you just have a little time to play. But for a long marathon gaming session, I'd MUCH rather get into a party. Of course, in a perfect world, it would be a good party that everyone benefits from. Maybe I'm asking too much?
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#193 Feb 20 2010 at 6:02 PM Rating: Default
Quote:
Maybe I'm asking too much?


I think your petition is justifiable.
Its only right SE hits the nail on the head with most of the meticulous details FFXI fans have scrutinized over the years. then again...
____________________________
PS: Your Wonder Clomps and Fang Necklace at DRG75 are utter dogsh*t terrible. You've had an entire month and made no improvements in your gear.

Bsphil to Phantasydragon
#194 Feb 21 2010 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
You know, one thing I always felt that FFXI missed out just a little bit on was the opportunity to exploit it's own history. Maybe they intentionally did it, but I always thought they could have easily named towns things from past games. Tahrongi Canyon could have easily been called Cosmos canyon. Why wasn't there a 2 handed sword that looked like the buster blade? COR could have used a gunblade? Or even other things that could be considered throw away. An old princess from a story named Garnet...
I think the possibilities are there, and they don't at all have to compromise gameplay. They would just be something added for the gamers who have played the old games also.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#195 Feb 21 2010 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
The games are standalone titles, not repeats of the old. As much as you'd like to see Cloud NPC and Midgard town, it's not going to happen. The games must stand on their own merits, not nostalgia.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#196 Feb 21 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
The games are standalone titles, not repeats of the old. As much as you'd like to see Cloud NPC and Midgard town, it's not going to happen. The games must stand on their own merits, not nostalgia.


Mario,Zelda,FF,etc. = repeat repeat repeat
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#197 Feb 21 2010 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Quote:

Hyanmen wrote:

The games are standalone titles, not repeats of the old. As much as you'd like to see Cloud NPC and Midgard town, it's not going to happen. The games must stand on their own merits, not nostalgia.


While I can easily understand the point you are trying to make, Final Fantasy games all share somethings. Mogs, Chocobos, Cid, The Mesamune, etc. I was just saying it seemed in a world that was big enough to hold more things that they have done in the past, they would have paid a little tribute to things fans know and love from another games in the series.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#198 Feb 22 2010 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
1 post
Worst fears:

  • XP Loss and Delevelling Losing progress through curiosity, learning, accidents or (worse) malice of others is not good.
  • Genkais Denying 1/3 of all levels just because you can't find people willing to help you for 3 hours (luckily I found people willing to do just that for my first character), or travel to one of the most remote locations of the game (Genkai 2) is not good. Making it easier was at least something, but removing them was what should have happened. Maybe keep Genkai 5 against Maat, but without the Testimony crap, but get rid of the first 4. And don't let them anywhere near FFXIV (and yes, I am aware it's a skill-based game. Doesn't stop a skill equivalent of the genkai being implemented, if SE have their heads that far up their ************ [li]Jeuno Blues Waiting around for 3 hours with nothing to do while waiting for a group, unless you do some core and near irreplacable role (WHM).
  • Holier-than-thou Classes And the other side of this, ***** WHMs or their equivalent in FFXIV. WHMs who think they can lord it over everyone else cos they heal and get parties easy.
  • Grinding being the only advancement Doing quests should be easier than griding, as it makes the game more varied, makes it more likely you'll see all of the story that most of the FFXI fanbase never saw, and stops anywhere being overcamped
  • There being no PvP, or unlimited PvP One of the things about an online game is that it should allow you to fight against people with proper intelligence (well, I say intelligence...) - players. So if you want to do that and flag yourself as up for it (by entering a PvP area, say), why not? But a game without PvP loses half the fun of an online game, and a game with PvP everywhere just gets frustrating when you get victimised for the 10,000th time by the same player while you're trying to do stuff.
  • No solo option Some people don't want to wait in FFXIV's jeuno equivalent with nothing to do. And maybe if they have the option to do it solo, then they're advancement is slower, or they can't skill up to the same level, or can't have as many skills active, or something like that. Let them. If solo is possible but grouping is better, grouping will still happen but without spots being camped (cos soloers can go where they want and aren't in the groups that want camp spaces). And if they're 'losing out on the point of an online game', that's their decision. They're still paying to play it, and the world is still larger than an offline game, and still patched/updated, and (hopefully) still has PvP.
  • No or vestigal beginner tutorial Cos starting FFXI was my introduction to mmorpgs, and that start sucked. Even with the new beginner thing, it's not much better.
  • Keeping people poor RMT works off of the gilsellers having something that players don't. But if players can build up their own cash fairly easily (with a bit of effort - no such thing as a free lunch after all), or find their own items with the same effort, that rips the heart out of RMT or at least makes 2004-06 of FFXI far harder to bring about (anyone remember that? I do)
  • Customisable Interface What would it harm SE to give players choice about how they see the world. Note I said see - obviously don't allow botting in the customisations, but if people want to customise their interface or block RMT (SpamMeNot in WoW is about the best AddOn for it there is), let them.
  • Unlimited price ranges on auction houses The free market - FFXI players could have told the world 2 years early that unregulated and unlimited markets f*ck things up royally. Because the unlimited bit is an illusion - a crash limits it quite severely.
  • Pay to ride If you want to go from A to B at more than walking pace, you pay (in chocobo raising fees, chocobo rental fees, teleport costs - scroll or whm, boat prices, airship prices, etc.). A one off charge for a mount wouldn't kill the economy, and means players could spend time enjoying the game instead of perching something heavy on the 'forward' button while they read a book.
  • That it fails You might have figured I like WoW. I like it cos it's likeable. It give people what they want, something SE has very reluctantly and minimally given people over the lifetime of FFXI. And at times, only because other games had it over a barrel (BLU and DNC would likely not be there if other soloable games weren't). But I like the Final Fantasy series, and FFXIV sounds promising, and I really hope they get it right.
#199 Feb 22 2010 at 8:10 PM Rating: Default
**
562 posts
Something else I fear, which was VERY annoying... Level caps.
I don't mean that you can't grow beyond XX level. I mean how events were capped. I didn't like getting up to endgame levels just to have to go back to level 30 or 40 to help a friend who hasn't finished something I already did.
Yes, I understand why it was done. Any party of 2 decent 75s + anyone could have cleared just about all the promies if they weren't capped. But that's why I got to 75! To do those things I had trouble doing with others, on my journey, later (alone if need be) without all the trouble.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#200 Feb 23 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
214 posts
Not read the whole thread, but I hope this time around SE listen to players a bit more, they did get better towards the end of FF11 (well perhaps not the end) with stuff like FoV and level sync but many of these additions came too late for a lot of people.

More than anything they need to be constantly active in adapting the game over the years (not just expansions), although I'm not a fan of the way WoW progressed from Vanilla to WotLK you can't deny the amount of work blizzard have put into changing WoW, this is how an MMO should age not by being held back by bad game engine restrictions.

Which brings me to the biggest fear, being held back by the PS3 (360 if it happens), SE have stated that the PC is the main development platform which is a step in the right direction but of course this doesn't mean it won't be hampered by the console platform/s after a few years.

Lastly my concern about the multiplatform and multination aspect of the game, although its a nice bullet point I don't see that it brings anything valid to the game, for the most part Japanese players didn't like playing with non Japanese players (yes im generalising) and if the servers hadn't been split PS2, 360 and PC there would have been more growth for the PC version to be adjusted without the need of making it unfair on console players.

The last one is going to happen regardless, don't get me wrong I think the idea is great but its just not practical and of course the game and fans will have to endure this just as the did in FF11.

Guna go read from page 1 now.
____________________________

#201 Feb 24 2010 at 6:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
863 posts
That it is too much like FFXI. If I wanted to play a game that is like FFXI... I would play FFXI. I want this to be something new. Sure there can be some familiar aspects, I just hope they don't go overboard to "make it an easy transition". A prime example of this would be the races. Don't get me wrong here though, I love tarutaru and some of the typical FF things such as moogles and chocobo etc, but there has to be a balance between familiar and new, and the focus has to be on new.

Customer support/payment/playonline. If any of those are the way they are in FFXI, SE will have failed horribly.

Timesinks/punishment. FFXI is just too harsh sometimes. Its not really one thing on its own, it is more the fact that they pile up. I mean, I don't want to have to spend 2h trying to get somewhere solo and finally just before the goal end up dying, having to HP which means, loosing way too much exp and that I just wasted 2 hours for nothing.. and why? Because of a retarded sneak/invis mechanic. Find the middle road, it should hurt to die, but not so much you want to cry.
When it comes to timesinks, say what you want, but it adds nothing. There is no good reason as to why I have to wait until Japanese midnight to get my AF. Or why I can only get 1 key for "place X" per week and so on and so forth. There are so many small things like this that really add nothing to the game except waste my time for no good reason.

PS-limitations/backwards way of thinking. I really don't mind needing four different pieces of equipment for every slot for my character. It makes me not get bored of the way I look, as fast anyway, and it gives me more goals to aim for. I also don't mind needing to macro these in, depending on my situation.
However, if this is a system that is going to be used I do not want to have to worry about inventory space(inv space is a big pain in the *** in FFXI and imo the fact that it is again adds nothing positive) and I sure as **** do not want to have to worry about macro lines. It is either or, you just can't have it both ways. Either you use a equipment/macro system that allows for unlimited changes and no worries about inv space, OR you do not use a system that requires OVER TEN THOUSAND macro lines and inventory slots.
Also, using PS-limitations as reasons for why different things can't be changed for the better really sucks. I am not saying it isn't true, I am just hoping that will not be the case for FFXIV.

Conservative ways of thinking. I dunno, I can't really give very good examples, but I do feel like a lot of the time in FFXI things have been kept very conservative when it comes to development. It seems like the developers do not very often want to take risks at all, and just go with things they believe will work okay, which gives an "OK" result, but not very often anything spectacular. Not saying this should be applied everywhere, but that is the overall feel I have after 6 or so years of FFXI. I just hope they try to be a little bit more open minded I guess.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)