Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 5 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

What are your fears or worries regrading FFXIV?Follow

#202 Feb 24 2010 at 7:32 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
Something else I fear, which was VERY annoying... Level caps.
I don't mean that you can't grow beyond XX level. I mean how events were capped. I didn't like getting up to endgame levels just to have to go back to level 30 or 40 to help a friend who hasn't finished something I already did.
Yes, I understand why it was done. Any party of 2 decent 75s + anyone could have cleared just about all the promies if they weren't capped. But that's why I got to 75! To do those things I had trouble doing with others, on my journey, later (alone if need be) without all the trouble.


For some reason this made me think of a guy in midlife crisis, going back to high school to help his younger buddies cheat at Math.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#203 Feb 26 2010 at 8:00 PM Rating: Default
**
562 posts
I don't see the similarities in the comparison, but to each their own I guess...

Have you ever leveled a character or characters in a single player RPG far past what you would need at a minimum to beat the final boss? Why?

Sometimes for a hidden boss or dungeon, sometimes to see the full roster of abilities the characters may posses, bonus items, cause you can?
Whatever the reason, how mad would you be if you went back to an earlier part of the game and you were de-powered back to your level at that point?
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#204 Feb 27 2010 at 5:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
I don't see the similarities in the comparison, but to each their own I guess...

Have you ever leveled a character or characters in a single player RPG far past what you would need at a minimum to beat the final boss? Why?

Sometimes for a hidden boss or dungeon, sometimes to see the full roster of abilities the characters may posses, bonus items, cause you can?
Whatever the reason, how mad would you be if you went back to an earlier part of the game and you were de-powered back to your level at that point?


Why would I want to go back to one-shot bosses. I don't get any satisfaction at all from such a boring playstyle. And helping a low level friend by one-shotting the boss, what kind of game experience are you giving him? I guess you get to show off your E-peen for how cool you are that you're such high level that a low level boss doesn't even hurt you.

No, I rather be capped and give the low level a richer gaming experience he's supposed have and reliving the old times myself.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#205 Feb 27 2010 at 1:05 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
I guess I understand where you are coming from, but that's only the case if that's how you use it. I didn't even consider going back to show off or to hand hold everybody I run into through an early area.
My point comes more from the stance that I've already been a Lv XX DRG,THF,WHM etc. I don't wanna do it again. I kept using that job so that I could grow. Why would I wanna use that job to decrease my level? Speaking only of my own experiences, when I went to a promy I used a different job that was in the range, so as not to "backtrack" a job I had already leveled past that point.
However, seeing as how the first reply was a way that it could be exploited, I guess I'll have to change my views on it. Personally I don't care for level caps, but I guess I see the need for them in some places.

____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#206 Feb 27 2010 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
31 posts
Regarding lvl caps..what I hope is that really engaging missions/quests are in the game from the start.

When CoP was released I was already like a lvl 55 BLM. So it was a little bit of a disappointment to get together a new set of 30 gear and adjust to my capped spells. Even then I felt like there was a lack of content wished this stuff was here earlier.

I also had trouble with the early CoP missions because most groups didnt want blms for them. So again I had to dust off my subjobs and compromise to get the quests done.

So I just feel that the missions would have been even more fun if I were able to experience them on main job the first time around and if and elitist mentality wasn't already ingrained in player's minds.

#207 Mar 01 2010 at 4:04 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
I will be able to change equipment in combat.

I have nightmares about this. I am being 100% serious, this is not a troll attempt or a joke. I will scream hallelujah to the high heavens and give up my blaspheming ways and believe in a higher power if I am prevented from changing equipment in combat.

By far the ability to change equipment in combat is the largest stress-inducing factor in Final Fantasy XI and the absolutely #1 thing that must be eliminated in Final Fantasy XIV.
#208 Mar 01 2010 at 5:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
I will be able to change equipment in combat.

I have nightmares about this. I am being 100% serious, this is not a troll attempt or a joke. I will scream hallelujah to the high heavens and give up my blaspheming ways and believe in a higher power if I am prevented from changing equipment in combat.

By far the ability to change equipment in combat is the largest stress-inducing factor in Final Fantasy XI and the absolutely #1 thing that must be eliminated in Final Fantasy XIV.


Not including say, changing ammunition, right? I think preserving that ability is important.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#209 Mar 01 2010 at 5:51 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
Eske wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
I will be able to change equipment in combat.

I have nightmares about this. I am being 100% serious, this is not a troll attempt or a joke. I will scream hallelujah to the high heavens and give up my blaspheming ways and believe in a higher power if I am prevented from changing equipment in combat.

By far the ability to change equipment in combat is the largest stress-inducing factor in Final Fantasy XI and the absolutely #1 thing that must be eliminated in Final Fantasy XIV.


Not including say, changing ammunition, right? I think preserving that ability is important.


An improvement in general to tools and ammunition would go hand in hand with reducing the amount of stress cause by silly things. Leaving ammunition exactly as it is would suit me fine, or improving it (and reagents such as ninja tools if there will be any).

But yes I'm talking about armor and weapons. Just think about how much easier your life would be if you didn't have to macro 20 pieces of equipment to every spell and ability you used.

Just think about how much easier your life would be if every time you changed classes you didn't have to drag out 70 pieces of situational equipment and put 70 pieces of situational equipment away.

The ability to change gear in combat is frustrating, dated, nonsensical and a poor design choice that leads to stress and tweak/power-gaming that people mistake for skill and is used to replace what should be time spent focusing on the actual goings on of combat, not on your wardrobe.

Considering the system and what I've seen of XIV, I'm hedging a small bet on the intelligence of the developers that we will see your gear locked down in combat, and I can only hope they do this. Hope. Hope. Hope...
#210 Mar 01 2010 at 9:16 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
421 posts
my biggest fears are (and things i dislike in MMO..)

1) soulbound items.. make the game too cookiecutter
i love my endgame high school drama and crafting market is better if item werent soulbound at all

2) only instance raids.. to me FFXI will always be the HARDCORE mmo unlike warcraft where everything is instance.. it too easy; i LIKE CAMPING HNMs at 3am on a tuesday morning just to have a chance to get that l33t armor THAT YOU EARN!! because you campd him and you outclaim the others

3)crafting list system{no thanks}; crafting in FFXI was like no other game.. you had to face the right way.. do it at the right time and right day.. the moon and all that s!?@3 effected the outcome of the HQ

**** i just wish in all FFXIV is just a HD copycat of FFXI lol

my biggest faer of all is that SE will focus more on "Soloing" lvling style which is a big buy or not deal for me.. to me MMORPG is about hanging out meeting new ppl and socialyin with old & new friends.. if they rework the lvling system to fit more of a soloing style (like warcraft....) then that ganna be my biggest disapointment
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#211 Mar 01 2010 at 10:05 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
My biggest worry is that SE won't have learned from the mistakes of FFXI and will continue to make them upon the FFXIV community. Also, with their focus on "using more abilities" more often I worry that they're shifting closer to a traditional MMO.

That and no auto attacking? This better be good...
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#212 Mar 12 2010 at 2:05 AM Rating: Excellent
*
98 posts
RMT. Anyone who does not use RMT will agree that this is a bad thing and needs to be delt with swiftly with an iron fist. The only other way is to eliminate trading entirely which eliminates economy, a big part of MMO genre. Iron fist or no economy. I don't care which as long as we have one or the other.

On the same note, I do not want to see SE money-milking with items as they have in the past (necklace for the teleport robe for example). Aion is doing this, offering the most staple dye colors for poorly disguised, overpriced, real money transactions. If you need more money for your MMO, start the subscription at $19.99. Yeah yeah, some people will complain, let them. If Jackson is not your friend at least once a month, I think you should spend your time more wisely than playing a MMO all day. Seriously, at $20, MMO is still a bargain for a month of entertainment. BTW please don't hurt me if SE reads this and takes it to heart. <3 you.

Mostly, I just hope they take a very cautious approach to demands of convenience and casual friendliness.

FFXI has so many things to do. If you are not hardcore, you'll never get to do everything - and that is a part of what keeps players interested. There needs to be goals that virtually no one can achieve, goals everyone will achieve, and a happy mix between the two, (generalizing) relative to playtime. That is part of what makes XI so epic.

Other very legitimate worries I noticed while skimming aside from RMT are inventory, balance and fairness. No one likes the pigeon-holing of job/subjob combinations and not being included because their chosen path is not as good as someone elses. MMOs are about community and having fun with everyone.


Edited, Mar 12th 2010 1:15am by Nazantia
____________________________
FFXI: 90 BST, THF, DNC ~ Ebisu Fishing Rod
#213 Mar 12 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
My only real worry (and I know some wont agree which is fine and I understand)is that you will no longer be able to play with a 56k connection. Not all of us have access to good high speed not because we can't afford it but due to the fact it's not provided in our area. I love FFXI because I can play it on my crap dial up with no lag in nearly everything. I'd hate to miss out on what so far looks to be an interesting game because of my connection.
____________________________
Cannibalism is a valid means of debate. Your opponent presents their side of the argument and you respond in kind by consuming their liver. Thus the debate ends with you having proved your point. As a boon for being such a master of the debationary arts few people will wish to confront you in such a manner in the future.
#214 Mar 12 2010 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Ggrab wrote:
my biggest fears are (and things i dislike in MMO..)

1) soulbound items.. make the game too cookiecutter
i love my endgame high school drama and crafting market is better if item werent soulbound at all

2) only instance raids.. to me FFXI will always be the HARDCORE mmo unlike warcraft where everything is instance.. it too easy; i LIKE CAMPING HNMs at 3am on a tuesday morning just to have a chance to get that l33t armor THAT YOU EARN!! because you campd him and you outclaim the others

3)crafting list system{no thanks}; crafting in FFXI was like no other game.. you had to face the right way.. do it at the right time and right day.. the moon and all that s!?@3 effected the outcome of the HQ

**** i just wish in all FFXIV is just a HD copycat of FFXI lol

my biggest faer of all is that SE will focus more on "Soloing" lvling style which is a big buy or not deal for me.. to me MMORPG is about hanging out meeting new ppl and socialyin with old & new friends.. if they rework the lvling system to fit more of a soloing style (like warcraft....) then that ganna be my biggest disapointment


Basicly my fears are that FFXIV doesnt have those things :D.

1. No soulbound items. I think it would be rather boring if you could buy everything that way you really wouldnt have earned any of that gear.

2. Only world bosses. I really dont want to spend hours waiting for some boss to appear just to see some other group take it, well i dont want to spend hours waiting for boss even if it was 100% chance of claim for me. I'd say that is the prime example of a system where difficulty comes from wrong reasons. Its not really that difficult to sit and wait for hours, its just **** boring. If raids are instanced, the boss itself will be the challenge, not waiting for it to appear. You would still earn your stuff, not because you waited for hours, but because you managed to kill some really hard boss.

3. Not be able to solo. Waiting for party for hours is just stupid. I want to log in and start playing right away, not after hours of waiting. Partying is much more interesting than soloing, but i really hope that it would be easier to solo than in XI, only because so many times waiting for party may just take **** long.

4. 1. and 2. combined. That is my worst nightmare. That would really make the game unbearable. Many times ppl would just camp bosses for money, it would be almost impossible to get claims. Whole game would be just about how much gil you have, not about real challenge. Also would be RMTs paradise.
#215 Mar 12 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Decent
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:


I think this paragraph sums up 99% of FFXI endgame events. Carry on with the psychobabble discussion.


I've been reading this thread since page one. When I read you comment I began to laugh uncontrollably, with tears. Thank you for the comic relief! I really needed it!
#216 Mar 12 2010 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
Quote:
Basicly my fears are that FFXIV doesnt have those things :D.

1. No soulbound items. I think it would be rather boring if you could buy everything that way you really wouldnt have earned any of that gear.

2. Only world bosses. I really dont want to spend hours waiting for some boss to appear just to see some other group take it, well i dont want to spend hours waiting for boss even if it was 100% chance of claim for me. I'd say that is the prime example of a system where difficulty comes from wrong reasons. Its not really that difficult to sit and wait for hours, its just **** boring. If raids are instanced, the boss itself will be the challenge, not waiting for it to appear. You would still earn your stuff, not because you waited for hours, but because you managed to kill some really hard boss.

3. Not be able to solo. Waiting for party for hours is just stupid. I want to log in and start playing right away, not after hours of waiting. Partying is much more interesting than soloing, but i really hope that it would be easier to solo than in XI, only because so many times waiting for party may just take **** long.

4. 1. and 2. combined. That is my worst nightmare. That would really make the game unbearable. Many times ppl would just camp bosses for money, it would be almost impossible to get claims. Whole game would be just about how much gil you have, not about real challenge. Also would be RMTs paradise.



I agree with you on your points.
I was under the impression that with the new game's crafting you'd be able to customize items, which would make them different from the ones you get from drops. Even if it's something as simple as a special color to your blade (which by the way is something I'd really like to see)
Can't really tell you why I was under that impression, it's just the idea that I got.

As for bosses, I'd be ok if you needed a spawn item. Even if it was difficult to get. Like you said, waiting for something to spawn is boring enough. Waiting with another group or groups just sucks, especially when you don't get the claim. I've been on both ends.
I understand that getting some of the best gear you can is done this way, but it's almost like who ever can endure the boredom the longest is rewarded. That is not why I play an MMO.

Lastly, I would like to see solo always be an option. I personally don't like to solo. Again, it's not why I play an MMO. If I wanted to solo I have plenty of single player RPGs I've yet to play just waiting on my shelf.
But there are times when you want to use a certain job and there are no parties looking for that job. Or the people you want to party with are in the middle of something and you have an hour or so to kill till they are free. It's times like this that I'd like to be able to solo for a bit without falling asleep.

____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#217 Mar 12 2010 at 10:12 PM Rating: Decent
Well I am going to be playing Lalafell, I have a thing for the little people, but so far I don't see anything that suits my tarutaru/lalafell sensibilities. I want to be sneaky and a little underhanded like a rogue/thief/assassin, from what I can see of the classes so far they are all noble and good. It's a shame they seem to have dispersed thief throughout several classes so I hope they replace it with something equally sly and furtive, it's the way I like to play...
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#218 Mar 12 2010 at 11:47 PM Rating: Decent
44 posts
raga as much as i agree with you that i don't want all "good" types of classes. I absolutely do not want the thief back in any way shape or form. Being a thief at a low level was one of the ONLY ways to get enough money as much as everyone else who was selling low level equipment for. So if you didn't want to be a thief but you wanted equipment your level you had to use the thief time and time again. I ended up having to level that class as much as my main. I don't know if they balanced out the economy ever but the first year of the game was like that.

edit: grammatical errors

Edited, Mar 13th 2010 12:49am by Kingdestiny
1 2 3 4 5 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)