Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

PS3 or PC... ?Follow

#52 Jan 07 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I think that both the PS3 and PC will be solid choices to play FFXIV. Everyone has a preference, some like the keyboard/mouse better than the controller. I'll be playing on both platforms myself.
#53 Jan 07 2010 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
*
51 posts
It should not come down to control input because PS3 can use K/M as well.
____________________________
Name: Huey Hiiirule
Server: Ultros
PSN: Link-2the-Past
#54 Jan 07 2010 at 6:56 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,353 posts
Quote:
Your average VHS tape has a ratio of 380 x 480. A regular DVD has 720 X 480. It was a huge difference back in the day. BLU-ray is typically 1280 X 720. The visual quality between DVD and BLU-ray is much harder to tell unless you have a side by side comparison. IMAX is 10,000 X 7,000. The point is anything past 1080 can barely be visually perceptive by the eye.
That's not really a good point. IMAX has such a large resolution because they use gigantic screens. If you put 1080p on an IMAX screen, it'd look terrible. Playing in 1080p on a decent sized computer monitor won't even fill the whole monitor. It's nice to be able to have it be full screen and utilizing more pixels.

Quote:


We both know this isn't about pixels and PC interface. The people who prefer the PC version aren't being honest. This is really about modifications to the game itself. Don't like the music track, swap in your own stuff. Tired of a looking the same, swap your .dat model with something else. The bottom line is most people that want the PC version so they can cheat/modify the game. No matter how much effort SE includes to allow customization, players won't be satisfied. Every single time any problem is addressed in these forums, someone will chime in with the Windower cheat. If you ***** about DD's who blink too much, get Blinkmenot. If you're tired of RMT spam /tells, get Chatmon. If you're too lazy to quest a map, just get AP radar with map packs.


That just made you seem like a jerk. Personally, I prefer PC because I prefer chair + table to couch. In addition, with the amount of FFXIV I'll probably be playing, I have no intentions of monopolizing the TV for extended periods of time. I'm pretty sure the majority of people playing on PC in FFXI weren't editing DATs and botting. Surprisingly, some people really just want to play the game and don't really care about all that stuff.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#55ShadowedgeFFXI, Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 7:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I rest my case.
#56 Jan 07 2010 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
224 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
No, SE said they have no plans for voice chat. They hinted at using other programs such as Vent/Teamspeak. So no, it's just like FFXI.


Now did they actually confirm that they would not include any voice chat in their game, or just that they wouldn't be making their own voice chat program? As for example LOTRO did not make their own voice chat for the game, but instead included TeamSpeak directly in the game.
____________________________
75 blm, 75 nin, 75 brd, 64 bst, 57 pld, 53 rdm
NPC 65
RotZ= Complete
CoP= 8.1
Retired from FFXI.
Retired from LOTRO
Retired from Rift
#57 Jan 07 2010 at 10:07 PM Rating: Default
*
95 posts
Get it on pc if you have a nice pc. Pc allows for more third-party programs to be used like addons. Also, you control your graphics, framerate, etc. The ps2 had gimped graphics compared to a nice pc version of ffxi.
____________________________
Sin(SWTOR): 50 Jedi Sentinel

Krystalin(FFXI) :(retired) 85BRD/85BLM/85WAR/85BLU/85SAM/85DRG/85PLD/85RDM/85THF/85DRK/75BST/75PUP/75COR/75MNK/75NIN/75RNG

Vikzul(WoW):(retired) 80 rogue

Clytie(WoW):(retired) 80 pld
#58 Jan 07 2010 at 11:07 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,754 posts
the eye strain thing is bull, i spend almost all of my waking time infront of my pc and other than the odd cramp from sitting in silly positions, ive never had any issues. i will agree that the ps3 offers the ability of more movement, but it's far from a reason to consider when deciding pc or ps3
____________________________
The Accursed Being Sent By Heaven; Jenova: The Calamity From The Skies

WoW - EU - Al'Akir - Goblin Warlock
Taoquitok

FFXI - Bismarck
Jenovaomega
#59 Jan 08 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Default
Ill be getting both versions.

Though this time around i hope the PlayStation(3) version has some at least decent resolution like maybe 720p.
FFXI on the PS2 was good but compared to the PC the display is a huge difference.
Whats was the original resolution on the ps2 release? 320 X 240, 15 FPS?
Compare that now with my beautiful PC res of 1400x900.

Im sure though the PS3 version will be great.
____________________________
One day maybe:
ShaolinGate.com
#60 Jan 08 2010 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Maybe, but I'm right. I suppose you should a visit the BG forums and ask the question directly. I'd bet my account on the fact that over 75%(prob 90%)use plug-ins. I won't even count TP party or any other included plug-ins. Besides if what you said were true, Windower Lite would be the standard. Doesn't anyone have the integrity to be honest here?



The problem is you aren't going straight to the solution, which would be having the company enforce their terms of agreement. In the past I have been the "PC hackers" that you speak of. I helped write JED (d2jsp is the current), a javascript bot for D2. I've wrote auto-it scripts for XI for mining and skill leveling. I never regularly used the XI scripts or distributed them, more for the fun of writing these scripts and seeing them work. But the main reason for my doing is that there were virtually no consequences. If I feared for my account getting banned I wouldn't write these scripts, but the fact of the matter is there were people POS hacking and nothing would happen. Why should my simple, undetectable script make a difference. I'm not justifying my partaking in this, just stating my opinion about the matter. It is up to the company to enforce their rules.


I'd next like to point out that if people are given the opportunity to exploit the game in one way or another they will, regardless if they are on PC or not. I'm sure you are aware of the salvage dupe that was being used. I highly doubt that it excludes users who were on the ps2 or xbox. They didn't say, "I started play on the xbox/ps2 specifically so I can't hack." At the end of the day platform doesn't mater. If the user is going to hack they will hack when given a chance.


At this point it is up to the company to take action against the users who are hacking and to do it quickly. If they let the hack continue (salvage lasted around a year i believe) people will rationalize "I can hack, but only for 11 months". The next time an exploit rolls around, people will go ahead and do it as they see fit because it took over a year for SE to do anything last time. If SE hit the ban stick within the first month of exploit, users would be scared to cheat at all.

Edited, Jan 8th 2010 1:43pm by burtonsnow
#61 Jan 08 2010 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
83 posts
I personally want to get it for both for several reasons: For the PS3, it's ultimately for the ease of comfort while playing (I really hate sitting at a comp for too long cuz my lower neck and shoulder starts to act up).

That said, the versatility of a PC can't be denied (upgrading system peripherals, voice chat etc).

So yeah, both for me.
____________________________
This is my future FFXIV Character and this is his theme...at least that's the tentative plan. Yep. (Concept Art of Rasler by the legendary Akihiko Yoshida) I asked for the Qiqirn to be added in FFXIV since October 2009 and we now have them! Yessss!



#62 Jan 08 2010 at 4:18 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
burtonsnow wrote:


The problem is you aren't going straight to the solution, which would be having the company enforce their terms of agreement. In the past I have been the "PC hackers" that you speak of. I helped write JED (d2jsp is the current), a javascript bot for D2. I've wrote auto-it scripts for XI for mining and skill leveling. I never regularly used the XI scripts or distributed them, more for the fun of writing these scripts and seeing them work. But the main reason for my doing is that there were virtually no consequences. If I feared for my account getting banned I wouldn't write these scripts, but the fact of the matter is there were people POS hacking and nothing would happen. Why should my simple, undetectable script make a difference. I'm not justifying my partaking in this, just stating my opinion about the matter. It is up to the company to enforce their rules.


Are you suggesting that SE should shut down Windower today if they're serious about abolishing 3rd party programs? My belief which is just that a belief is that SE wasn't ready for the MMO universe. The game was ported badly to the PC, no Windowed mode, and ripe for exploitation. I appreciate your honesty about your part in all of this. I think this is the reason I prefer console online gaming myself though. Everyone on the PC is trying to hack and exploit to get any advantage they can. I'm not even talking about FFXI either, I mean in general.

I hoping SE is ready for the 3rd party hacks this time so the game can be fair for everyone. I really don't care about .dat swapping or things that doesn't affect game play. I could care less if your Moogle looks like Faf or colibri looking like the Fruit Loops bird.

If my memory of the Salvage duping is accurate, this form of "hacking" was on the server side. So of course PS2/360 players could exploit it too. That glitch was SE's fault and I'm not blaming players for it. However, those players that used the glitch to acquire gear committed a crime and they were banned. These 3rd party programs aren't detectable by SE for the most part.
#63 Jan 08 2010 at 7:40 PM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
.dat swapping can be cheating. It's not always just changing your moogle to look like Prishe, or the also innocent example on alla, changing a Colibri to Toucan Sam.

This is not about the morality of PC users vs console users. PC players simply have the easy avenues to cheat, in contrast to console players. No matter the platform, part of the playerbase will always be driven to cheat - it's just human nature.

I hope Shadowedge is right, and that SE is now prepared and understands the competitive issues that face an MMORPG. That means at bare minimum ban those who bot and hack, and don't make the game so unfriendly that something like windower dominates the PC landscape. Not catering to RMT via free trials would be great too, but if they actually did these things I'd be blown away, speechless.

Edited, Jan 8th 2010 8:52pm by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#64 Jan 08 2010 at 7:57 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Carrilei wrote:
.dat swapping can be cheating. It's not always just changing your moogle to look like Prishe, or the also innocent example on alla, changing a Colibri to Toucan Sam.

This is not about the morality of PC users vs console users. PC players simply have the easy avenues to cheat, in contrast to console players. No matter the platform, part of the playerbase will always be driven to cheat - it's just human nature.

I hope Shadowedge is right, and that SE is now prepared and understands the competitive issues that face an MMORPG. That means at bare minimum ban those who bot and hack, and don't make the game so unfriendly that something like windower dominates the PC landscape. Not catering to RMT via free trials would be great too, but if they actually did these things I'd be blown away, speechless.


Pardon me for asking this, but how is .dat swapping cheating? Are you suggesting some people .dat swap a spawned NM/HNM to something easier to detect for claiming reasons?

I agree with everything you said though. I think part of the reason SE hasn't banned or took greater action against Windower is because of how dominated it is among the player base(including the JP). It would probably kill the game at this point to close down the un-official Windower. So IMO, the best thing SE can do is learn from their mistakes.
#65Kachi, Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 5:31 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I believe SE has said that, unlike in XI, in XIV you will be able to access your account cross-platform. So if you play on the PS3 and decide to switch to PC, that should be ok.
#66 Jan 09 2010 at 6:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
221 posts
I'll be playing on PS3.

I played FFXI on PC, and to be honest I think it probably will be better on PC... but my PC is now in my office, and I'll be working from home soon, I really do not need it distracting me while I'm working lol xD
____________________________
75WHM/75DRG/75BLM/75BRD/75RDM
Bastok/Caitsith \m/

All we need now is a little energon, and a lot of luck
#67 Jan 09 2010 at 8:31 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
PC of course. 24" 1920x1200 goodness, with as much eyecandy as I can support and my old 19" 1440x900 monitor to browse forums while I play the game. TeamSpeak 3, Cheat Engine, oh and fraps. I plan to record every single thing that I can. Computer has so many more goodies to play with.

Been buying parts to put together a computer so far just for this game, although I plan do to a fair bit of Team Fortress 2 and L4D2 as well. (Got mah i7 920, Antec 1200, Antec EA750W, Hitachi 1TB HDD, 6gb ocz gold ram, and samsung t240hd already.)

Keyboard/Controller should be nonissue, as both can be used by both things.

Quote:
Pardon me for asking this, but how is .dat swapping cheating? Are you suggesting some people .dat swap a spawned NM/HNM to something easier to detect for claiming reasons?


While most .dat swapping was just for fun, and was awesome (Hello blue swimsuit for my mithra instead of no-armor dats), you could cheat with it. Take that leech NM that drops bloodbead ring for example. He pops underwater with like 20 other leeches and it's very hard to tell the difference. Some people would change him into a bomb so it was easy to spot. And I can't forgot to mention the one .dat swap almost every HNM-camping PC player did; turning darters into glowing blue things that you couldn't target.

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 9:45am by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#68 Jan 09 2010 at 8:38 AM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Pardon me for asking this, but how is .dat swapping cheating? Are you suggesting some people .dat swap a spawned NM/HNM to something easier to detect for claiming reasons?

I agree with everything you said though. I think part of the reason SE hasn't banned or took greater action against Windower is because of how dominated it is among the player base(including the JP). It would probably kill the game at this point to close down the un-official Windower. So IMO, the best thing SE can do is learn from their mistakes.

It is about the mob(s) being easier to detect, but it's not limited to spawned NM, and the only purpose is not claiming.. Simply knowing which mob is the one you want to kill (because it looks different) is advantageous.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this, as I've never .dat swapped, and don't know the full extent of how people are taking competitive advantage with it, but I do know it happens. A quote from bg-

Quote:
What Windower can do to FFXI makes for the playing field uneven. The proof is how many people express their dependence on Windower for game-play, not aesthetic, reasons. When it changes gameplay "just for you," it's a cheat.
_______________
Oh, you would LOVE the salvage dat swaps.

I don't know exactly what they're doing in terms of .dat swapping Salvage mobs, but I'm thinking it has something to do with knowing which mobs will drop cells (and consequently which are duds). If someone has a better understanding, do clue me in; I don't feel like searching for hours.

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 9:47am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#69 Jan 09 2010 at 8:41 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I don't know exactly what they're doing in terms of .dat swapping Salvage mobs, but I'm thinking it has something to do with knowing which mobs will drop cells (and consequently which are duds). If someone has a better understanding, do clue me in; I don't feel like searching for hours.


Ah, this wasn't really that big a cheat because it could be duplicated with widescan, but you could go into the games dats and change the names of monsters and npcs. It could be just for fun, or it could be so that you put an asterisk next to the dud mobs that don't drop cells since they were always the same. This was really only used in the first 2 floors of one salvage area, any other use of it was just for fun.

Oh, also, as soon as possible the first thing I'm testing is whether or not SE was stupid enough to make character speed and position client side again. I'll probably test it during beta and if it is tell them to ******* change it. It took me less than 5 minutes of playing around to have the ability to speed hack in ffxi, it should not be that easy.

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 9:50am by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#70 Jan 09 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Yep, the monsters listed in the .dats are always in correct order in regards to drops, and although their position in the event itself changes every time you go there, you can just change the name of the monster in the .dats to Qutrub1 and the right mob will always show in-game as Qutrub1, while other mobs are only Qutrubs. That way you'll know which mob to kill and skip the rest.

Quote:
This was really only used in the first 2 floors of one salvage area, any other use of it was just for fun.


Not just the first 2 floors.. there's more to it, and it could save you 10's of minutes at best.


Edited, Jan 9th 2010 5:51pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#71 Jan 09 2010 at 9:21 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,159 posts
Deadgye wrote:
Oh, also, as soon as possible the first thing I'm testing is whether or not SE was stupid enough to make character speed and position client side again. I'll probably test it during beta and if it is tell them to @#%^ing change it. It took me less than 5 minutes of playing around to have the ability to speed hack in ffxi, it should not be that easy.

I don't get why they put anything client side when it can be done server side.. But please do..


Thanks guys for the confimation on the Salvage .dats - I actually thought they'd change the appearance of the mob to something else, didn't know changing the name was more common. Guess you could do both if you wanted..

This kind of thing can, hypothetically, be a severe advantage to those who exploit it.. Again, why SE doesn't keep this sh*t server side, I don't understand. If it has to be client side for some unfortunate or bs reason, at least have something that can detect when a player has altered the information...

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 10:44am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#72 Jan 09 2010 at 9:34 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Wouldn't that require some kind of a tool that monitors the player's PC to see if there's altered information? I don't think many would agree with that..
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#73 Jan 09 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Wouldn't that require some kind of a tool that monitors the player's PC to see if there's altered information? I don't think many would agree with that..

There's nothing that can only check FFXIV files? Just the files they've downloaded from their source? There's no check they can do at any point to see if the FFXIV game information is legit?

I know WoW uses Warden, I don't see why that wouldn't even be in the discussion for XIV.

This all assuming for some reason this information cannot be stored server side.

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 10:50am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#74 Jan 09 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Well, it'd still mean that SE would add some kind of program to your computer that monitors it.. even if it's only for the XIV files, people might find that too much, because they can't be sure that it will only be those files that are monitored.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#75 Jan 09 2010 at 9:59 AM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
I'd think there has to be some way for either SE to assure/prove it is only checking XIV files, or for the consumer to know if it has checked other files. Even if this isn't the case, there are like what, 10 million people in WoW who deal with it to play.

You might think it's an invasion of privacy to require athletes to give blood or urine for testing, but it's just part of what you have to do to play the game because of the great competitive imbalance that would ensue otherwise. Potentially the exact same deal here.

At the very least SE needs to put everything it possibly can server side, and seriously consider something along the lines of Warden.

Edited, Jan 9th 2010 11:14am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#76 Jan 09 2010 at 10:07 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Not that I care if there's something like that on my PC, but as much good as it would do to the game there's gonna be an unreal amount of ******** about "oh god what if it does X" just like when SE announced the crysta currency.

I guess in the end it's quite necessary though. Just gotta deal with the *********
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#77 Jan 09 2010 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
*
198 posts
Quote:
I believe SE has said that, unlike in XI, in XIV you will be able to access your account cross-platform. So if you play on the PS3 and decide to switch to PC, that should be ok.


You could do that with FFXI. I played FFXI on the ps2,360(couldnt stay connected with 360. sold 360 for ps3, but anywho) quit for 2 years came back and played on pc. Didnt like using keyboard, so went back to ps2.

For FFXIV i'll be playing on the PS3 since I like using a controler more. + a 50in tv > my 19in comp moniter. lol
#78 Jan 09 2010 at 4:40 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Deadgye wrote:

Oh, also, as soon as possible the first thing I'm testing is whether or not SE was stupid enough to make character speed and position client side again. I'll probably test it during beta and if it is tell them to @#%^ing change it. It took me less than 5 minutes of playing around to have the ability to speed hack in ffxi, it should not be that easy.


Wiki wrote:
Operations may be performed client-side because they require access to information or functionality that is available on the client but not on the server, because the user needs to observe them or provide input, or because the server lacks the processing power to perform the operations in a timely manner for all of the clients it serves. Additionally, if operations can be performed by the client, without sending data over the network, they may take less time, use less bandwidth, and incur a lesser security risk.


I believe the reason why FFXI does so much though the Client side is indicated in this Wiki quote. FFXI was not broadband only, so the speed issue might be the reason. All I can say after reading this is FFXIV has speed, improved servers(since 02'), more powerful console system with built in browser, etc so this shouldn't be a problem. I do have a tech question though. Would it be possible for SE to have client control on the PS3 version and Server side for the PC? That way, some of the bandwidth could be saved and the PC would be harder to hack,right?

#79 Jan 09 2010 at 5:22 PM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
Deadgye wrote:
While most .dat swapping was just for fun, and was awesome (Hello blue swimsuit for my mithra instead of no-armor dats), you could cheat with it. Take that leech NM that drops bloodbead ring for example. He pops underwater with like 20 other leeches and it's very hard to tell the difference. Some people would change him into a bomb so it was easy to spot. And I can't forgot to mention the one .dat swap almost every HNM-camping PC player did; turning darters into glowing blue things that you couldn't target.

Glowing blue things that you couldn't target? Wonder how they made them untargetable. I know for e.g., the Hpemde below the water are untargetable, but I thought that might require.. well, water.


Edited, Jan 9th 2010 6:30pm by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#80 Jan 09 2010 at 6:01 PM Rating: Default
***
1,353 posts
With .dat swapping, not only could you make certain MOBs untargetable, but you could also change the names of placeholders to make them stand out. Which would make botting/NMcamping much easier. Just.. fyi.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#81 Jan 11 2010 at 8:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,522 posts
I haven't owned a gaming system since the early launch of PS2, which I barely ended up using. It still looks and works like it's brand new. Therefore, it makes more sense to me to use a PC.

I'll be building a new PC, which I'm really excited about. It just makes more sense to me to use a PC.
#82 Jan 11 2010 at 12:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
162 posts
both for I, I am too slow with a controller to be effective, so I'll probably just use the ps3 for short time activity (crafting, little solo leveling, running around at the AH,etc...) and use the computer when I do more serious leveling or missions....

Anyways I hope I can only buy the ps3 version and download the PC client.

And btw, I never swap a .dat or anything only 3rd party I ever used was the windower.
#83 Jan 11 2010 at 12:39 PM Rating: Default
***
2,169 posts
Jenovaomega wrote:
the eye strain thing is bull, i spend almost all of my waking time infront of my pc and other than the odd cramp from sitting in silly positions, ive never had any issues. i will agree that the ps3 offers the ability of more movement, but it's far from a reason to consider when deciding pc or ps3


I agree with the eye strain being bull.

I disagree with PS3 offering more movement ability for FFXIV. FFXIV on PC is WASD+Mouse, so it's going to completely kill PS3 users in terms of mobility and control. There is no arguing that point. PS3 has no advantages at all to the PC, other than user preference to use a console, or somebody doesn't want to buy a computer.
____________________________
FFXIV - Currently Playing on Selbina Server
Name: Itachi Akatsuki (THM)
LS: UnitedBBQ

www.guildwork.com - best guildhosting site period

FFXI - Pingpong - Retired 2007
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?6988
75rng | 75nin | 75blm | working on RDM
RNG Gration solo: http://pingpongwww.livejournal.com/15532.html
#84 Jan 11 2010 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I disagree with PS3 offering more movement ability for FFXIV. FFXIV on PC is WASD+Mouse, so it's going to completely kill PS3 users in terms of mobility and control. There is no arguing that point. PS3 has no advantages at all to the PC, other than user preference to use a console, or somebody doesn't want to buy a computer.


Were the keyboard mappings already confirmed to be WASD? /sadface. One of the primary reasons I loved ffxi was because of how everything movement related was controllable with just one hand on the numpad. Also, mouses suck. Not having to use a mouse at all was <3.

Edited, Jan 11th 2010 2:22pm by Deadgye
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#85 Jan 11 2010 at 1:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
336 posts
720p on PS3 is good enough for me, though I do plan to build a gaming PC. Plus after getting it on PS3 and using the keycode and making an account I can just download the PC client free.

I'm hoping they add XMB music playback for the PS3 version (I know I can just run a music program in the background on a PC). As much as I like FF music, I need something different after hours of grinding in the same area. Plus if I need any type of voice chat, which I rarely/never use, I can just bring my laptop by me.

While it will be possible to hook my PC to my HDTV and get full 1080p, it will come down to which feels right. I always seem to run into random issues with PC games even though I don't do anything that would negatively affect my PC.

I'll end up doing which ever is less of a headache.

Plus I just enjoy the novelty of playing an MMO on a console lolz
#86 Jan 11 2010 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
12 posts
Well, I keep going back and forth on what to get it on so I guess I'll just get it on both..lol. I was planning on getting a PS3 soon anyways so we'll see how it goes. I built my computer about a 1 and a half ago so it should be able to play it sort of ok. We'll see...
#87 Jan 11 2010 at 7:15 PM Rating: Default
***
1,353 posts
Quote:


Were the keyboard mappings already confirmed to be WASD? /sadface. One of the primary reasons I loved ffxi was because of how everything movement related was controllable with just one hand on the numpad. Also, mouses suck. Not having to use a mouse at all was <3.
I second this.

Does anyone know if the WASD + mouse is how it will be? Hopefully you can at least customize it. Come to think of it, I think FFXI has a WASD setup and as option, too.
____________________________
I will wake up at six a.m. again.
and I will find my way to the front door
like a soldier crawling through the smoking carnage.
smoldering bodies at my feet,
I'd love to stick around, but I've got someone to meet.
and I will put my best foot forward.
and I'll thank god I made it out of there
on the day when my new friends come.
#88 Jan 11 2010 at 7:19 PM Rating: Default
12 posts
FFXI does from what I've read. I guess if they implement keybinding of some sort then I would imagine you could configure your keyboard the way you want it to be...
#89 Jan 11 2010 at 8:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
660 posts
I played FFXI on a laptop with a number pad, so I also loved being able to play with one hand for the most part. My friend is planning on getting it on PS3, and when we're at my house playing together in the same room, I'd obviously have to be on the PC. It makes just things easier in our case. Hopefully for the PC we won't have to use the mouse that much, if at all. I tried it once on FFXI and it just felt awkward.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#90 Jan 11 2010 at 9:26 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
I will PC at first, for the reason of Ventrilo alone - I've been on some kind of VOIP software since I was playing Tribes 2 - and those same friends show up every single day, even though we don't all play the same games anymore. However, eventually I will almost undoubtedly get it for ps3 as well, if not for my fiance, then for those days I just want a "change of scenery" from my computer desk.

It depends how they manage their distribution really, if possible, I'd obtain the PC version via an online download or something, and get my keys from the ps3 version, so I don't have to pay twice for 'one' account (hopefully SE isn't a complete jerk about that). And on that note, here's hoping for a disc-less ps3 download-able version so we don't have to worry about the disc being destroyed constantly.

Edited, Jan 11th 2010 10:36pm by FUJILIVES
____________________________
Posting from just above the generator.
#91 Jan 11 2010 at 10:00 PM Rating: Default
13 posts
PS3 for myself personally I have a 52" 240hz with 7.1 surround sound to play it on, besides I can play longer hours from the comfort of my couch.
____________________________


#92 Jan 11 2010 at 10:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
odinpingpong wrote:

I disagree with PS3 offering more movement ability for FFXIV. FFXIV on PC is WASD+Mouse, so it's going to completely kill PS3 users in terms of mobility and control. There is no arguing that point. PS3 has no advantages at all to the PC, other than user preference to use a console, or somebody doesn't want to buy a computer.


There is zero evidence to back up such a claim. As a matter of fact, the evidence points to directly the opposite. In FFXI, speed was essential to playing your job especially in key duties such as stunning certain TP moves. The movement of maneuvering your character for kiting was again very essential. However, the FFXIV Devs have already publicly stated that the speed won't be nearly as important as your tactics. So I see no reason to award the PC any advantage for control yet. The only edge the PC does have at launch is slightly better graphics.
#93 Jan 13 2010 at 7:03 AM Rating: Default
3 posts
Hmm, its been so long since I used my Zam account I forgot I had one LOL! Anyway, saves the hassle of creating a new one. As far as PS3 or PC...I'll have to say I'll probably get the PC version first since I have a laptop. Even though my laptop is a few years old, I figured I'd buy a copy for it anyway and hope for the best. I'm a long time fan of Final Fantasy in general and I absolutely loved FFXI online, despite all the flaws people love to rehash over and over again...I think people these days don't look at things for what they are at the time and just enjoy it, which is what I tend to do for each major incarnation of the FF series. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the majority of what people list as 11's flaws, but sometimes you honestly have to take a step back and ask yourself what you are really playing for. If its to really just enjoy yourself with the company of friends you would never otherwise have met in real life, a pretty **** good storyline for an online game (despite the graphics limitations) and a chance to explore something you've never explored, then you can count me in. I guess that's the reason I played FFXI for 5 years before calling it quits, I enjoyed it for what it was. I intend to do the very same thing for FFXIII, FFXIII versus & FFXIV Online.

Now, when the PS3 version hits stores, I'll most likely pick up that version as well since I plan to have a PS3 by the end of spring 2010. I was saving my points from my bank card rewards program and now I can chop off $100 with the use of a gift card (gotta love chase for that). Hopefully they'll have a spring sale on PS3s making the system $50 dollars cheaper, in which case waiting will have been that much more worth it. I honestly have waited this long so I can just purchase FFXIII at the same time as my PS3, even though I'll have little time to play due to being in graduate school right now. It'll be nice to glance at while it taunts me to play I guess. Anyhow, my final verdict: 絶対どちらもを手に入れるつもりだよ!

Edited, Jan 13th 2010 8:17am by MarsRedcloud
#94 Jan 13 2010 at 10:26 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
I will PC at first, for the reason of Ventrilo alone - I've been on some kind of VOIP software since I was playing Tribes 2 - and those same friends show up every single day, even though we don't all play the same games anymore.


TeamSpeak3 ftw!
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#95 Jan 13 2010 at 9:19 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
312 posts
I'll probably grab it for the PC, though I was very tempted to go PS3. My PC has HDMI out and wireless k/m, so I could always hook it up to my TV and play there. What I like about having it on a laptop, though, is the mobility. I can play it anywhere in my house, not just where my PS3 is located. So, if I feel like joining my family in the living room, we can have a movie on the family TV and I can play my game on my laptop. Besides, by the time it hits shelves, I'll have picked up a new, souped up machine anyway, so I'll want something to christen it.
____________________________
Steam: Xavier1216
FFXI: Astyanax (Bismarck)


#96 Jan 13 2010 at 9:37 PM Rating: Default
**
437 posts
I will be getting it for both, when one is in use I will have the other :P
#97 Jan 19 2010 at 10:08 PM Rating: Default
**
441 posts
i think with all the technical issues i had with the xbox 360 and ps2 im staying away from console and just staying with pc. never again will i want to break my head over the reason why the game freezing or scratch disc from the xbox or lagg from ps2. plus if it come to updates i think i will spare my ps3 from wasting hdd space of mega uploads.
#98 Jan 20 2010 at 1:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
191 posts
gaiaxzero wrote:
i think with all the technical issues i had with the xbox 360 and ps2 im staying away from console and just staying with pc. never again will i want to break my head over the reason why the game freezing or scratch disc from the xbox or lagg from ps2. plus if it come to updates i think i will spare my ps3 from wasting hdd space of mega uploads.


Lol wut? You didn't install the game to your hard drive for 360? You're bad. I would really like to see 14 on xbox since I no longer own a ps3. So it looks like I'm going down the PC road. Gogo benchmark utility soon to see how my laptop will run it!
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#99 Jan 20 2010 at 5:54 AM Rating: Default
**
441 posts
flukedrk wrote:
gaiaxzero wrote:
i think with all the technical issues i had with the xbox 360 and ps2 im staying away from console and just staying with pc. never again will i want to break my head over the reason why the game freezing or scratch disc from the xbox or lagg from ps2. plus if it come to updates i think i will spare my ps3 from wasting hdd space of mega uploads.


Lol wut? You didn't install the game to your hard drive for 360? You're bad. I would really like to see 14 on xbox since I no longer own a ps3. So it looks like I'm going down the PC road. Gogo benchmark utility soon to see how my laptop will run it!


yeah i did install it but the disc has to be in there to start it up i have like 3 ffxi disc and all were scratch due to the disc tray when it spins, i had them fix but the disc tray would do this circle scratch mark.

Edited, Jan 20th 2010 7:03am by gaiaxzero
#100 Jan 20 2010 at 8:24 AM Rating: Decent
**
346 posts
My time on 11 was with PC so I'll probably try and get the PC version just so I'm in familiar territory. Only problem is, My PC is over 5 years old. Does anyone know what the minimum specs for 14 are so I know where to start in my quest for a new box. I plan to work toward vastly better than base requirement specs but I just need to know the bottom of the barrel requirements so I dont drop a bunch of coin and find out my vid card is inferior, lol.
____________________________
Yes,
I am Going to ****.
I'm cool with it.
All my friends will be there.
#101 Jan 20 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I played FFXI for 6 years and had 2 accounts. One on the PS2 and one on PC. I bought a logitech controller that had the same button layout as a PS2 controller. I also had my PS2 hooked up to a 15" LCD TV which sat right next to my PC monitor. I bought a simple logitech USB keyboard and plugged it in to my PS2. Using controllers allowed me to play both accounts simultaneously. I'm not sure I could do that as efficiently with a keyboard and mouse. I personally thought the macro system in FFXI worked great even with a controller. The PC version did have better graphics but the PS2 graphics weren't terrible. The gameplay was the same on both. A lot has changed since then. I now have a much better computer and of course a PS3. I know most people won't get the game for both and niether will I. I haven't decided which system I will get FFXIV for but right now I'm leaning towards PC. Since I would be playing on my laptop I can play anywhere in the house including my living room. There I can connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and play on the big screen. I can also play the sound through my home audio system. My PS3 is hooked up in my living room and isn't moving. I like to watch blu-rays on the big screen. Having FFXIV on my laptop allows me to sit next to my desktop and use sights like Allakhazam(or ZAM as it's called now) to look up info about quests, gear, maps etc. If the gameplay in FFXIV is similar to FFXI I will probably use my controller rather than keyboard and mouse. I will test out both methods to see which works best for me.
____________________________
DRK75/WAR37/BLM32/THF40/WHM30
RDM33/MNK20/PLD20/SAM20/NIN37
RNG11/BST10/BRD10/SMN10/DRG10
COR10/BLU1/PUP1
DAD75/HUS75
EMC (SS)
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)