I'm not sure if there is a similar post to this one. I know below this is a thread about fears for FFXIV. I want to know what things people would have liked to have seen return from FFXI as well as things that people might have wanted changed for the upcoming FFXIV. I'm really excited for the new game and can't wait to get back into a Final Fantasy MMO. I've played only 3 MMORPG's (FFXI, WoW, and Runescape) so I don't have a whole lot to compare my thoughts to which is why I'm posting this to read what others think/feel about it all. I guess I'll just list some things I would have liked them to keep as well as some changes and my thoughts on them.
1. Jobs - Loved XI's Job System, I'm afraid XIV will lose alot of the traditional Jobs with the new system. Changing jobs on the fly would be amazing if you have the space available for gear. I'm afraid that Pet Jobs (Dragoon, Beast Master, Puppet Master, and Summoner) will be lost.
2. Quests - Also enjoyed Quests from XI amazing stories that kept me intrigued to complete them unlike WoW where you did the same ol' song and dance over and over till you get bored. A little worried that the Guildleve system is going to be to much like WoW and lose out on the amazing story telling that SquareEnix usually delivers.
3. Economy - RMT need to have a way to get rid of them, changing some things would help this alot as far as XI was concerned. Make many NM's drop Rare/Ex/Bind to Account items that can't be sold FF started to do this on some mobs which were still camped but less by RMT and more by people that actually needed the items. I put Bind to account so maybe they could make it able to send to your alts only. Improve amount of gil given when selling junk items so it isn't to hard to make gil. There are other things I'm sure I can't think of right now.
4. Alts/Linkshell - Please make it so you can have a maximum of say 10 characters with no additional costs for any of them. I know that is one thing I really like about WoW I can make 50 characters total 10 per server and I don't have to pay for each one I can use all 50 at the same montly fee. I think SquareEnix was really ******** us with charging the extra dollar per alt. Yeah it was only a dollar but it adds up after a while and they knew it. Linkshells are a must have in some way or form only thing I would change is maybe having a Linkshell Moghouse where items are stored for linkshell members like say the Tenshodo Membership and the beds that unlocked a bigger mog safe, items that could be shared/borrowed/used between linkshell members.
5. Partying/Solo/Exp - Partying was great in XI (meeting people and getting to know your job, and leveling up), the not so great part of it though was waiting for an invite, trying to form a party when no one is seeking, or getting in that party that you die more times then you should and de-level/lose exp or end after 4 hours with the same exp as when you started. Honestly I wish they would do away with the xp loss from dying, if someone sucks people need to either help them learn there job better or kick them. Also since the new game is going to be solo/party, Parties should definately get alot more xp as well as better drops from mobs gear wise and amounts of materials. Solo yeah you would still get xp and materials but you shouldn't get as much obviously. Bad thing about solo play is being able to cap your level but not know the job as well as you could if you had partied. I know this from WoW as I have capped 4 characters but never partied. I'm fine solo but don't know wth to do in a group except hit hit hit.
Anyways this is long enough if not to long already so I'll cut it off here I could talk about these games for hours about music, races, crafting, endgame, etc...but I won't at least not now. I'm excited about the game as well as worried. I know how excited I was to play XI and everytime I logged in I was like a little kid going into a toy store for the first time. I'm hoping that XIV can bring that same kid out again as many games I've played since XI was released many years ago none have compared and trust me I've played many games for (PC, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS, Wii). Anyways I hope that people will post on there thoughts of the 2 games things liked from XI they would like carried over that were done well and worries about things from XIV or things you like about what things XIV has released. Sorry for the long post everyone.
Edited, Jan 17th 2010 5:09am by Sykksmoke