Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Crafting?Follow

#1 Jan 17 2010 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
*
198 posts
So as crafting going to be its own set of classes. Do you all think SE well let us 'level' each and ever class to max, or going to have it kinda like ffxi. Were you can only get one to max, or a few close to max.

If SE lets you level every craft to max, in the long run you'll have ppl with every craft to max. Which would seem broken. Then again the more you craft one item the better you become at it(lifestyle on ffxiv homepage). So you could have all crafts to max, but master only one of them, or something.
#2 Jan 17 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
398 posts
Well it's been my experiance that most people just aren't that dedicated to crafting. There may be some people who will get all the crafting jobs maxed as best they can but most people aren't likely to drift outside of the crafts that best suport thier preffered adventuring job, well at least untill they have nothing better to do.

So long as the devs do thier job and keep us in content it wouldn't be much of an issue.
#3 Jan 17 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
I was never a big crafter in FFXI, but didn't SE originally make it so you could get to 100 skill level in every class, but then later changed it so that you could only get to 100 in 1 craft and up to 60 in every other craft?

I really don't like having the limit of 60 of all other crafts because it would just force the hardcore people to make a separate mule that could level to 100 for each different craft. It almost felt like a waste leveling a craft that you know will be capped at 60, when you could level that craft with a mule and it wouldn't be capped.

I wouldn't mind there being some kind of bonus being part of a specific crafting guild, and you can only be a member of one crafting guild at a time, but I don't want a level 60 limit that is in FFXI.


#4 Jan 18 2010 at 12:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
45 posts
If you can level all the disciplines of War to the max level, I don't see why you couldn't level all the disciplines of hand to max level. Also, I really don't see how mastering all the crafts, if you put time and effort into it, is broken at all.

Of course, it goes without saying, there is obviously no way to know until SE makes an official announcement and/or the game is out and players can confirm it.
#5 Jan 18 2010 at 2:03 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
227 posts
The way I see it is, they will most likely let you play as every deciple of hand. But there will be an adventuring level with your crafter, so you can go out and level all crafters that help increase thier skills and crafting abilities, (posibly also certain craft classes increase certain drops on mosnters and animals.) but not thier actual craft skill level.
#6 Jan 18 2010 at 4:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I can't imagine that you'll be forced to choose "just one" and yet I see the problems both with allowing the hardcore to max all crafts, as well as the problem of forcing them to simply level them on a separate mule. However, if those are the only options that you're looking at, you're looking at a false dichotomy.

I could see them putting limits on the number of items that you can craft "perfectly", which would allow for a lot of niche marketing opportunities, and while that could tremendously promote people making mule after mule, I think at some point it would force players to either accept the idea of having just one character for crafting, or being one of the few hardcore crafters to level multiples (but will never be able to craft everything optimally regardless).

I haven't put much thought into how I'd like it to be, but on an unrelated thought, I was thinking it would be cool if you could attract monsters by cooking. Probably something that will be a leave-related feature though, rather than a gameplay feature.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#7 Jan 18 2010 at 4:20 AM Rating: Decent
*
144 posts
max 1 craft to 1 character, SE is smart man, thats how they make there extra $'s a month, cuz ppl who wanna max other crafts have to make mules. $ talks
____________________________
Server: Alexander
Character Name: Lovestospoon
Level: 75 WHM
Crafts: 100 Cooking
#8 Jan 18 2010 at 4:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
33 posts
The idea behind it is to keep the economy flowing. If you are a blacksmith, you have to buy your metal to work with, which keeps people who are miners in business. It's a great way to lower the players' dependency on farming to make money.
#9 Jan 18 2010 at 5:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
17 posts
I really hope that crafting is something that I will want to do this time around. I gave it a shot in FFXI but couldn't get into it.
#10 Jan 18 2010 at 9:54 AM Rating: Decent
**
423 posts
i just hope harvesting... if it exists, is actually worth it this time around. Such an absolute waste doing it in FFXI. The picks cost money, less to buy then to craft if i remember correctly. On top of that they break so often you have to carry many of them if not many stacks. you have to carry fire crystals to smelt the ore just so you don't get overstocked with too much inventory. then you "should" wear special garbage (in terms of stats) equipment to boost your chance of doing well(like fishing +1 etc etc) to not be wasting all your time and money

On top of that the mining points you had to hunt for with no easy way to find other then hitting tab over and over, hope you got a good mine/drop and then make your way back to town to sell/buy stuff.

It just seemed like unless you WANTED to do it, you would never do it... not convenient, practical or helpful. I found that this was one of the main reasons for inflation. Sure the mining point might be there but unless someone goes to actively do it, it never got done. If it never got done there wasn't much circulation and it drove up prices... i know ridiculous but that's the cycle.

Edited, Jan 18th 2010 9:03am by boriss
#11 Jan 18 2010 at 10:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
boriss wrote:
i just hope harvesting... if it exists, is actually worth it this time around. Such an absolute waste doing it in FFXI. The picks cost money, less to buy then to craft if i remember correctly. On top of that they break so often you have to carry many of them if not many stacks. you have to carry fire crystals to smelt the ore just so you don't get overstocked with too much inventory. then you "should" wear special garbage (in terms of stats) equipment to boost your chance of doing well(like fishing +1 etc etc) to not be wasting all your time and money


Some of my favorite times were running through ifrits cauldron mining. what a challenge staying alive, but so much fun. And being a 75 rdm, half the time I would just stay in for a good fight. Honestly it was great.
#12 Jan 18 2010 at 5:29 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,011 posts
burtonsnow wrote:
boriss wrote:
i just hope harvesting... if it exists, is actually worth it this time around. Such an absolute waste doing it in FFXI. The picks cost money, less to buy then to craft if i remember correctly. On top of that they break so often you have to carry many of them if not many stacks. you have to carry fire crystals to smelt the ore just so you don't get overstocked with too much inventory. then you "should" wear special garbage (in terms of stats) equipment to boost your chance of doing well(like fishing +1 etc etc) to not be wasting all your time and money


Some of my favorite times were running through ifrits cauldron mining. what a challenge staying alive, but so much fun. And being a 75 rdm, half the time I would just stay in for a good fight. Honestly it was great.


When I first started to mine, I mined in Palborough Mines. Platinum ores would drop at least once per pick stack, and they sold for 25k ea. Those were the days...
____________________________
[ffxisig]18080[/ffxisig]
#13 Jan 19 2010 at 3:13 AM Rating: Decent
*
191 posts
Strejf wrote:
I really hope that crafting is something that I will want to do this time around. I gave it a shot in FFXI but couldn't get into it.

I agree here, I'd like to see a crafting system that isn't completely based on luck of the draw. That's why in FFXI I was a fisherman, at least then the gamble was minimal compared to losing a bunch of materials on a failed synth.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)