Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Unlocking classes?Follow

#1 Jan 27 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
15 posts
What's your opinion on unlocking classes in FF XIV as was done in FF XI?

My personal opinion is that it was to limiting in FF XI to have to unlock certain classes through quests. I hope they don't go that way and I'm not entirely sure it would even work with the new "weapons-system". You should be able to pick&choose from the beginning, though I don't mind "branching out" to become one of the classes/specialize. But I consider that different because you are already on your way then and wouldn't have to start all over as you had to in FF XI.

Thoughts?

Edited, Jan 27th 2010 2:05pm by WhiteWabbit
#2 Jan 27 2010 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
**
346 posts
I think unlocking classes was fun, it was a huge achievement moment to unlock those jobs. 11 to me was all about unlocking the stuff. I loved 11's ability to make you feel like you really accomplished something when you finished something like a job quest. If I had all the jobs from the start I'd have nothing to achieve but grinding out levels and buying gear, killing mobs is just a means to doing both of these things. whats the point in playing a game if you don't have any real goals.
____________________________
Yes,
I am Going to ****.
I'm cool with it.
All my friends will be there.
#3 Jan 27 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
107 posts
I liked having to quest for the advanced jobs in XI. It made them feel like advanced jobs and not something the game just hands to you for getting up to x level.
____________________________
FFXI Hazero, Elvan PLD, retiered.
CoV, King Ghidora, Dominator retired
AoC, Mecha Ghidora, Dark Templar retired
Tabula Rasa, Super King, Grenadier retired
SWG, Hazero Ghidora, retired
DCUO, Crushlordian Earth Tank Retired
#4 Jan 27 2010 at 1:18 PM Rating: Decent
I really liked questing to unlock jobs and would be distraught if they took that away. Not only does it give you a little more insight on the game world, (I really liked the story for unlocking SMN and DRK), it also made you feel a lot more like you earned it rather than just jumping right in just like everybody else easily can.

And I agree Elmyrsun. What's the point of the game if you don't have goals?
____________________________
Hurrr durrr
#5 Jan 27 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
Questing for jobs in XI really was awesome. Not only because of the sense of accomplishment, but I gained new friends through these quests as well. It helped my ls become more of a family. :)
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#6 Jan 27 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Decent
I don't think it's possible anyway. with the new system, there are no jobs to unlock. There may be prerequisites or certain restrictions on which weapon you can use at any given time. If that's the case, i'm ok with that too. It's entirely possible, that you may need a certain amount of STR to wield a sword, or DEX to use a dagger efficiently. There are lot's of possibilities.
#7 Jan 27 2010 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
Quote:
I don't think it's possible anyway. with the new system, there are no jobs to unlock.


Who's to say that you won't have to unlock the ability to wield a Katana? Scythe?
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#10 Jan 27 2010 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
Unlocking jobs in FFXI was a grind?

Yea, what about unlocking weapon proficiency? That's the same as unlocking jobs in XI.

It was something to look forward to when you were starting out and leveling in XI. I don't know why some thought it was a bad thing. This is why we more people get bored of MMOs. They want every @^&*ing thing handed to them.
____________________________
Boost -- Fairy Server -- Retired Tarutaru
75NIN 75DRK 75MNK 75BLM 75SCH 75DNC 75THF
#12 Jan 27 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
Well I don't enjoy being "forced" to play a class which I really don't want to play (for x-amount of time) just to get to play the class I wanted to play from the beginning and then have to start all over as I had to do in FF XI. This sort of worked in FF XI due to the sub-job system, you would probably level the class which you would later on use as your 2nd job. Problem with this is, you really never knew if the job you were aiming for was going to be all that you expected it to be, quite a gamble really. Was a hassle for you if you wanted to try other jobs, not all could be unlocked solo at 30 if you didn't have a linkshell or someone to help you. I really don't think classes should be that tricky to get to, there are other things that should be focused on.

But as I stated in my first post, I don't mind if you branch out from a "basic" class and specialize into another later on, as in starting as a Mage and then you get to specialize/choose BLM/WHM/BRD (or whatever) at a certain point.

But each to their own :)

Edited, Jan 27th 2010 3:18pm by WhiteWabbit
#13 Jan 27 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
unlocking an advanced job is so cool, especially the moment you run back to your moghouse and "DING" NIN1/WAR1
you will get the ********** Im so cool!!" feeling and it's the most fun when u just unlocked the job with friends together, and then everyone was at the level 1 job in Gustaberg fighting worms and bees
____________________________
モスタル


#14 Jan 27 2010 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
531 posts
I liked how you could unlock jobs because like someone said above it added more story and was another quest to follow and see what would happen in it. However, I have a feeling you might not be able to unlock jobs in this one, but I don't have any evidence so we'll just have to wait and see.
____________________________






#15 Jan 27 2010 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Actually it brings to mind an old problem that XI had that I had long forgotten.

Remember when the starting jobs, particularly the melee ones, were looked down on in favor of advanced jobs? There was a period of time when WAR and MNK in particular were looked down on as main jobs.

I think I prefer unlocking abilities and traits that allow you to shape your job, rather than just unlocking a job that you switch to.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#17 Jan 27 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Decent
**
346 posts
Quote:
unlocking an advanced job is so cool, especially the moment you run back to your moghouse and "DING" NIN1/WAR1
you will get the ********** Im so cool!!" feeling and it's the most fun when u just unlocked the job with friends together, and then everyone was at the level 1 job in Gustaberg fighting worms and bees


This Times A Lot.
____________________________
Yes,
I am Going to ****.
I'm cool with it.
All my friends will be there.
#18 Jan 27 2010 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
209 posts
Quote:
unlocking an advanced job is so cool, especially the moment you run back to your moghouse and "DING" NIN1/WAR1
you will get the ********** Im so cool!!" feeling and it's the most fun when u just unlocked the job with friends together, and then everyone was at the level 1 job in Gustaberg fighting worms and bees


THIS

I remember unlocking my first adv. job. =D ~Seeing Carbuncle in Lathiene... /sigh
____________________________
"If it could go wrong, it happened in the Dunes." - Sephrick
#19 Jan 27 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
**
346 posts
Quote:
I remember unlocking my first adv. job. =D ~Seeing Carbuncle in Lathiene... /sigh


That first time I ran out into Gustaburg, Smacked a wasp, and then Popped Invincible. That was a glorious fight.
____________________________
Yes,
I am Going to ****.
I'm cool with it.
All my friends will be there.
#20 Jan 27 2010 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
mithrandrk wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it's possible anyway. with the new system, there are no jobs to unlock.


Who's to say that you won't have to unlock the ability to wield a Katana? Scythe?


That's pretty much what i said in the part that you didn't quote. :P
#21 Jan 27 2010 at 4:53 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I think you'll unlock classes based on "leveling" similar classes. For example, you might unlock an Evoker class by playing basic mage job classes. Essentially I expect it to be similar to FFXI's "Basic" and "Advanced" classes. Advance classes would cover things that are content orientated such as endgame. A good example would be that mage with staff in hand putting up a magic shield to protect their group. That could be a crowd control class.
#22 Jan 27 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I hope they have some form of unlocking advanced jobs in FFXIV, it was one of the things that kept you going through those low levels! It's like milestones in your leveling career. First you unlock subjobs at 18, your first visit to Jeuno and Chocobos (usually) at 20, unlocking advanced jobs at 30, your first limit break and being able to get artifact armor at 50, wearing full artifact armor no matter how much worse it is than your normal gear at 60, and the Maat fight at level 70.

It all made you feel so accomplished whenever you got them, rather than just leveling up another level on your way to the cap!
#23 Jan 27 2010 at 7:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Chikama wrote:
I hope they have some form of unlocking advanced jobs in FFXIV, it was one of the things that kept you going through those low levels! It's like milestones in your leveling career. First you unlock subjobs at 18, your first visit to Jeuno and Chocobos (usually) at 20, unlocking advanced jobs at 30, your first limit break and being able to get artifact armor at 50, wearing full artifact armor no matter how much worse it is than your normal gear at 60, and the Maat fight at level 70.

It all made you feel so accomplished whenever you got them, rather than just leveling up another level on your way to the cap!


+1. I loved the accomplishment felt. Getting level 70 was one thing....pwning Maat to get that next level was awesome! It wouldn't be the same 75 if it wasn't for all the tests along the way.
#24 Jan 27 2010 at 8:14 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
656 posts
not to mention when you are partying in the dunes and you need 1 more member to fill the party
and you do o a /sea.....


WAR10
WAR10/MNK5
WAR11/THF4
WAR11/WHM5
MNK12/WAR6
MNK12
WAR12/THF6
RDM12/WHM6
and..
DRK12/WAR6


"OMFG, leader GET THAT DRK NOW"
____________________________
モスタル


#25 Jan 27 2010 at 8:40 PM Rating: Default
45 posts
Probably there will be special equipments that unlocks special abilities that you have to obtain from quests.
#26 Jan 27 2010 at 9:58 PM Rating: Good
**
736 posts

It can work just dandy on the melee side.
But I'm not sure I like how it would pan out for casters

Casters are the sum of their spell sets. The weapon is more a slot for statistics than any functional part of how a caster operates. It can be enough to have an unlockable class "Great Katana", because melee rely heavily on their weapon. But unlockable class "wand" is in itself meaningless, the spells the weapon-type is capable of is the only relevant thing.

All spells in an MMO fall into 7 categories; Healing, Damaging, Debuffing, Buffing, Crowd Control, Movement, and Summoning. Because the Armoury system allows some degree of customization, having one of these present on one caster class makes them theoretically present on all of them. In order for the advanced classes to be a meaningful goal, they have to unlock a capability not present in the starting classes. Because of this, and the fact a weapon-type isn't meaningful to a caster, one of the core functions would have to be locked away.



#27 Jan 27 2010 at 10:17 PM Rating: Default
*
108 posts
I don't mind unlocking extra jobs as long as the quests and requirements aren't asinine. BRD quest was maybe a little too easy, but the DRG and PLD quests seemed a bit much. It would be best to have about a level 20 requirement and need 2, maybe 3 people at the most to complete at the lowest possible level. One of the biggest hurdles in FFXI was always finding people willing to help who weren't in an EXP party at the time. Remember G2? Maybe I just never had a particularly helpful LS, but I remember waiting ages for some things.
#28 Jan 28 2010 at 12:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
It can work just dandy on the melee side.
But I'm not sure I like how it would pan out for casters


Weapons will presumably also grant access to weapon skills. I would imagine that casters would similarly gain access to different spell sets.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#29 Jan 28 2010 at 6:43 AM Rating: Good
***
1,022 posts
I'm torn on the topic. While unlocking a new class was fun and exciting, I hated having to re-level my character so many times. Although, it doesn't make sense NOT to do it that way. But still... there was just something unappealing about leveling one job to 18, then leveling the next one to 30 and then leveling your new job to 75. Why can't you just go 1-75? I mean you COULD but then you wouldn't be in tip-top shape. I don't know. I guess its a trade off.
____________________________
Main character: AutumEmber
60blm/whm Rank 7 Windurst
Linkshell: SeraphsDarkside
Server: Bismarck
#30 Jan 28 2010 at 9:08 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
656 posts
Autumnfire wrote:
I'm torn on the topic. While unlocking a new class was fun and exciting, I hated having to re-level my character so many times. Although, it doesn't make sense NOT to do it that way. But still... there was just something unappealing about leveling one job to 18, then leveling the next one to 30 and then leveling your new job to 75. Why can't you just go 1-75? I mean you COULD but then you wouldn't be in tip-top shape. I don't know. I guess its a trade off.


if the game was made in that way, it wouldnt be fun

you need to learn the trades from the lowest level to master it, thats why u start at level 1 again, but all skills u learnt from other jobs in FFXI, u actually can use on other jobs...
lets say r level 75 WHM, and u capped ur healing magic, but when u get on ur RDM1, ur healing magic is already capped.

____________________________
モスタル


#31 Jan 28 2010 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
*
208 posts
Anything that diverts my attention from leveling is welcomed. Thats what I miss the most about FFXI. Playing for hours, or days, without gaining a level and not once being bored. Quests, subjobs, crafting, BCNM, and what-have-you. I played FFXI for just over a year before I had a job to 75 and I had so much fun! I loved how you'd get to level 20 (or whatever) and then do all the quests, missions, and whatever else you fancied, that were level appropriate. Then go on those awesome level breaks every 5 levels as you approved the cap. And who didn't like getting AF (at least the first couple times) through the 50's? Best memory of FFXI was the day I got the hat for my black mage.
#32 Jan 28 2010 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
All spells in an MMO fall into 7 categories; Healing, Damaging, Debuffing, Buffing, Crowd Control, Movement, and Summoning. Because the Armoury system allows some degree of customization, having one of these present on one caster class makes them theoretically present on all of them. In order for the advanced classes to be a meaningful goal, they have to unlock a capability not present in the starting classes. Because of this, and the fact a weapon-type isn't meaningful to a caster, one of the core functions would have to be locked away.


Equipping a weapon will change your class. So, you equip your first mage weapon, you start out w/ one damage move and one heal move. which ever you choose to use more you will grow in skill towards. Eventually you no longer use a staff...you are a magic damage mage who uses a scythe...or a debuff/buff/crowd control dagger wielder.....or a club wielding healer. Or maybe you are a summoning/movement staff wielder still. Honestly I think it works perfectly fine.

Edited, Jan 28th 2010 12:21pm by burtonsnow
#33 Jan 28 2010 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
15 posts
Quote:
Equipping a weapon will change your class. So, you equip your first mage weapon, you start out w/ one damage move and one heal move. which ever you choose to use more you will grow in skill towards. Eventually you no longer use a staff...you are a magic damage mage who uses a scythe...or a debuff/buff/crowd control dagger wielder.....or a club wielding healer. Or maybe you are a summoning/movement staff wielder still. Honestly I think it works perfectly fine.


So you think it would work somewhat like the system in FF9 (which I really liked) where you leveled a weapon/armor and it granted you a skill/trait from it? Might actually work if the skills were designed so that they went "passive" if you chose a new weapon (class) which couldn't use it. Leveling weapons would make so much more sense for me then. I think I would really enjoy that. :)
#34 Jan 28 2010 at 1:57 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts
Oh, I'm sure it'll play out something like that, burtonsnow.
But, I'm not really talking about character development?

I'm just saying there are aspects of the Armoury system that can make implementing unlockable classes a bit tricky.
I'm more concerned with making the abilities behind an unlockable classes tempting enough to encourage people to unlock it, without making it so tempting you basically have no choice.

Let me try an XI example,
If the starting casting classes were "Bard", "Whitemage", and "Blackmage", and you could create your casting character by combining those abilities, you wouldn't be very tempted to unlock "Redmage".
However, If the starting casting classes were "Whitemage" and "Blackmage", and you could create your casting character by combining those abilities, you would be downright forced to unlock "Bard or "Redmage" for refresh for mp recovery (because XI's resting metrics are slow enough naturally that the fanbase had to create the 'support' position in a party setting).

How do you make the unlockable classes good, without making them too good?
It's not enough to just focus on the weapon, because casters don't really use them.



Edited, Jan 28th 2010 3:12pm by Zemzelette
#35 Jan 28 2010 at 2:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Zemzelette wrote:
Oh, I'm sure it'll play out something like that, burtonsnow.
But, I'm not really talking about character development?

I'm just saying there are aspects of the Armoury system that can make implementing unlockable classes a bit tricky.
I'm more concerned with making the abilities behind an unlockable classes tempting enough to encourage people to unlock it, without making it so tempting you basically have no choice.

Let me try an XI example,
If the starting casting classes were "Bard", "Whitemage", and "Blackmage", and you could create your casting character by combining those abilities, you wouldn't be very tempted to unlock "Redmage".
However, If the starting casting classes were "Whitemage" and "Blackmage", and you could create your casting character by combining those abilities, you would be downright forced to unlock "Bard or "Redmage" for refresh for mp recovery (because XI's resting metrics are slow enough naturally that the fanbase had to create the 'support' position in a party setting).

How do you make the unlockable classes good, without making them too good?
It's not enough to just focus on the weapon, because casters don't really use them.



Edited, Jan 28th 2010 3:12pm by Zemzelette


I think that can be solved fairly simply. To get red mage skills your white magic and black magic have to be proficient enough. From there you will have the option to choose your rdm class (sword type casting weapon) and level rdm only spells.

Once you equip your RDM gear you are now on a different skillset. Your white and black skills drop to the appropriate level (so you still have access to SOME white and black spells) and your RDM spells will become the focus. Having both firebolt and heal 1 doesnt make you a RDM, having RDM specific skills makes you a RDM. If you choose not to equip a magic sword you can continue to be a healer and not gain access to those RDM skills. You will gain healing specific aga's and cure Vs while the person who chose to go a casting sword wielder will get refresh, phalanx, etc etc.

Its almost like a subjob system but your subjobs are based on what other skills you have leveled (maybe you can choose RDM full skill, WHM half skill, BLM 1/4 skill).
#36 Jan 28 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
I don't mind having to unlock classes as long as you can solo them and the difficulty of each quest is similar.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#37 Jan 28 2010 at 5:06 PM Rating: Excellent
**
736 posts


Well, we don't know how it's all going to come together just yet.
So, let's refrain commenting on the particulars of how these combinations come about, and focus instead on the results?

Your all for unlockable classes having similar abilities to starting classes, and you think there might be a way to avoid re-treading old ground when you move from one to another. You also want the unlocked classes to have something special, not available to the starting classes to help make them tempting to acquire. But, how do you keep people from being socially pressured to unlocking these classes for the special abilities? How can we avoid the sub-job scenario, where you had to level a job you didn't particularly like because it had an ability that was so good the status quo mandated it.

If it's good and interesting and powerful enough to be worthy of a questline to unlock it, how would do you maintain the player's power to choose not to do so?
#38 Jan 28 2010 at 7:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
630 posts
Zemzelette wrote:


Well, we don't know how it's all going to come together just yet.
So, let's refrain commenting on the particulars of how these combinations come about, and focus instead on the results?

Your all for unlockable classes having similar abilities to starting classes, and you think there might be a way to avoid re-treading old ground when you move from one to another. You also want the unlocked classes to have something special, not available to the starting classes to help make them tempting to acquire. But, how do you keep people from being socially pressured to unlocking these classes for the special abilities? How can we avoid the sub-job scenario, where you had to level a job you didn't particularly like because it had an ability that was so good the status quo mandated it.

If it's good and interesting and powerful enough to be worthy of a questline to unlock it, how would do you maintain the player's power to choose not to do so?


I ponder too much on how this game will work instead of the results we'd like to see, I will keep my response more focused.

For one, I believe if we choose a path, the skills we learned before are important, this will null having to level separate classes. If we are skilled enough to start using RDM spells it is because all of our other spells are where they need to be. We can level them higher, but they will not affect RDM abilities. We will have all access to the spells UP TO THAT point in those trees. In essence we will still have to level certain magic classes, but its not like XI where we had to constantly keep our SJ leveled. Once we can use a job our sub abilities are already determined.

To make sure all classes are played equally, each class will have a certain trait that is only obtainable at the highest level of its skill. Just because they are a starter** job doesn't mean they can't have unique spells that make them intriguing as well.

Edited, Jan 28th 2010 8:43pm by burtonsnow
#39 Jan 28 2010 at 7:47 PM Rating: Default
*
95 posts
Questing for jobs in ffxi was rewarding. I hit level 30 and then bam infinite possibilities wait for what job to quest for. It was great and provided story-line for that specific job you unlocked. I don't care if we have to unlock weapons or do special training for them; it would be fun.
____________________________
Sin(SWTOR): 50 Jedi Sentinel

Krystalin(FFXI) :(retired) 85BRD/85BLM/85WAR/85BLU/85SAM/85DRG/85PLD/85RDM/85THF/85DRK/75BST/75PUP/75COR/75MNK/75NIN/75RNG

Vikzul(WoW):(retired) 80 rogue

Clytie(WoW):(retired) 80 pld
#40 Jan 28 2010 at 7:48 PM Rating: Default
**
516 posts
I have not played the game yet but I like the system Dungeon Fighter Online has for classes. There are basic classes that you "evolve" once you reach a certain level and choose a advanced class, you can get even higher to near the cap and get a even more superior class. Didn't they say something about swords and how there are different types or something? They could work on that if you think about it hard.
____________________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/loltarupup

My channel with FFXI battle music and hard to find songs that were not even released on Original Soundtracks.

I also plan on uploading FFXIV music when the game is released.
#41 Jan 29 2010 at 6:15 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
I liked the questing for advanced jobs. Granted some were much harder to get than others but great idea none-the-less. Maybe balance out the toughness a little bit? This brings to mind the advanced classes for people doing the crafting side of it.. Maybe an advanced class of goldsmith would be Rare metal specialist (lack of a better name) but you get the idea.
#42 Jan 29 2010 at 7:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
117 posts
One of my goals when I started playing FFXI was to unlock all the jobs...In doing so I came across the avatar quests for summoner. If anything exemplifies the sense of accomplishment for jobs, I think the avatar quests would be it. You, the summoner were tasked with defeating the avatars of the beasts you would eventually control. After doing all of the avatar quests I felt like I was a part of a select group, apart from the rest of the community.

Unfortunately, this select group happened to consist of folks who were marginalized by the job they picked.

As you can imagine I eventually found that summoner really wasn't a viable job to get to endgame with. So I went back to playing as a Red Mage. I eventually found myself doing the AF missions for RDM. The problem with that was that I pretty much was required to waste other peoples time to get my class specific gear and the items to advance into the next 5 levels.

What struck me about this was that I didn't feel like I was coming into my own as a RDM at all. I was becoming a leech even though for the previous 49 levels I had managed to make my own way with my peers.

Am I crazy in thinking that Job specific quest and/or gear should be obtained through knowledge of the Job? Because the avatar quests (which were Job specific)did a very good job of defining a summoner in my opinion, and they were job specific.

****, idk, What I do know is FFXI did a very good job of almost getting it...without ever quite getting it.
#43 Jan 29 2010 at 8:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
701 posts
I'd actually prefer that whatever class/job a person wants to play be accessible from the beginning. In my mind, if SE truly wants their MMO to be successful this time around they need to focus on accessibility. That doesn't mean you hand people everything. That doesn't mean there aren't fun, job specific storylines. It just means, to me, that you give people a break on the basics like class choice.
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#44 Jan 29 2010 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
**
346 posts
Quote:
It just means, to me, that you give people a break on the basics like class choice.


See, that's the point I think some people are missing. The Job choice of Being a NInja, or a PLD, or a PUP, WERE NOT BASIC.

The basics were the 6 starting jobs.
Think of it in terms of a real world analogy.

Someone enters the military, they go through basic training. This is essentially their time as one of the 6 basic jobs. They then work their *** off, graduate from Boot, and go on to sniper school. This is the equivelent of them going through 30 levels and unlocking RNG. When this person entered boot he knew he wanted to be a sniper, but he also knew it was going to take effort. And several months later, when he had finished all the prerequisites, he was made a full sniper and could then begin playing with his Barrett full time. If he had walked into boot and announced that he wanted to be a sniper, and the Sarge walked over to him, handed him a sniper rifle and deployment papers and sent him on his way, he'd still technically be a specialist but a completely untrained useless on the battlefield kinda specialist.

Why does no one want to PLAY the games any more, why does everyone wanna log in and be done in the first day?
____________________________
Yes,
I am Going to ****.
I'm cool with it.
All my friends will be there.
#45 Jan 29 2010 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
That might make some sense if the advanced jobs were in any way more "advanced" than the basic jobs. They weren't. A level 1 Samurai is roughly just as worthless as a level 1 Warrior.

Personally I would have rather you been able to start as any job, but then had to quest to unlock every other job that you didn't pick. Then at least when you go to the dunes, you'd see some variety.

I mean, believe it or not, some people, particularly WHM, BLM, RDM, and MNK, never even unlocked an advanced job, at all. And never needed to.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#46 Feb 03 2010 at 5:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Kachi wrote:
That might make some sense if the advanced jobs were in any way more "advanced" than the basic jobs. They weren't. A level 1 Samurai is roughly just as worthless as a level 1 Warrior.

Personally I would have rather you been able to start as any job, but then had to quest to unlock every other job that you didn't pick. Then at least when you go to the dunes, you'd see some variety.

I mean, believe it or not, some people, particularly WHM, BLM, RDM, and MNK, never even unlocked an advanced job, at all. And never needed to.


I think thats where XIV will differ though. To achieve the next level of expertise you need to be skilled enough to do so (with their new attack system that is). Why would they give a job that has advanced skill meter to a person just starting the game??
#47 Feb 03 2010 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Well what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be "advanced" jobs anyway. I would hate to think classes like Thief and Monk could be made obsolete with the unlocking of Ninja.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#48 Feb 03 2010 at 7:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Kachi wrote:
Well what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be "advanced" jobs anyway. I would hate to think classes like Thief and Monk could be made obsolete with the unlocking of Ninja.


What i'm saying doesn't mean the starting classes will become obsolete, it just allows you to take the skills you have learned in another direction. Thf, mnk and nin are very similar. Light armors, close ranged melee attacks, and great evasion. Mnk has a focus on Melee combat, and minors in chi moves and evasion. Thf would emphasis evasion techniques to do damage. Nin would focus on ninjitsu and evasion to do damage(?)/tank(?). Basically mnk still has a unique skill set, but those who wish to take one of the mnks aspects in a different direction can do so as well.


I think this will work similar to archer. You start out w/ a small bow, eventually you can change to a large bow or gun. Short bows are good for a closer ranged attack. Long bows are good for being on high ground away from the mob. Guns will be good for attacking mulitple mobs with 1 shot. Short bow still has its benefits because in some cases you might be in closer quarters and not get the distance you need.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2010 8:22pm by burtonsnow
#49 Feb 15 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
**
562 posts
I loved unlocking all the jobs. I did feel such pride having all 20 jobs unlocked, even if there were some I never planned on using.

The one thing I never did like was the idea that you HAD to use one subjob in order to make that "advanced job" really work.
For instance, I never liked WAR :: ducks the stones tossed his way:: but I always wanted to use DRK. It took forever to get into a lower level party with a DRK/THF and even once you were there you had to hear from each person "Do you have a WAR you could sub instead?"
No, no I don't. When I left FFXI I only had 3 75s, DRG, THF, and WHM. My WAR was stuck on level 6.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)