Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Tanaka P talks beta test in FamitsuFollow

#1 Feb 03 2010 at 10:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
As the buzz continues to grow around Final Fantasy XIV, Producer Hiromichi Tanaka is also increasingly finding himself the center of attention. In this week's Famitsu, he was part of a feature on the 20 Most Anticipated Games & Game Creators of 2010. Tanaka has been a part of Square Enix since 1983, but is now coming into the spotlight thanks to his work producing Final Fantasy XI, and of course, the upcoming Final Fantasy XIV.

In this interview he gives his opinions on the state and direction of the gaming industry and elaborates a little on plans for the Final Fantasy XIV beta test.

Read the artcile

Edited, Feb 4th 2010 4:34am by Elmer
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#2 Feb 03 2010 at 10:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
928 posts
Thanks as always for the Info Elmer!

Now if only they'd update the site with something new..... =(
____________________________
Arestia: Tarutaru Male
Pheonix Server (formerly Titan ; ;)
90 SMN/ 90 BLU / 83 WHM BRD / 75 BRD / 45 NIN / 36 DRG / 34 BLM / 23 BST / 19 PUP / 19 DNC / 17 WAR /
#3 Feb 03 2010 at 10:44 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
166 posts
Quote:
I'm working hard to begin service for Final Fantasy XIV, and I hope to see you all in Eorzea! And of course, there is Final Fantasy XI, which I have been so proud to be a part of for 8 years now. Things are going to be heating up again this year, so I'll see you back in Vana'diel too!


While the FFXIV info was vague, I have no doubt now that there will be a new FFXI expansion announced at vanafest.
____________________________
Pearlsea 75 BST WAR Fairy
Pearlglo - 80 Paladin Mannoroth
#4 Feb 03 2010 at 10:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
928 posts
You didnt think that was vague? O.o

That was about as vague as the definition of the word gets, lol. All they said were things were "heating up"
____________________________
Arestia: Tarutaru Male
Pheonix Server (formerly Titan ; ;)
90 SMN/ 90 BLU / 83 WHM BRD / 75 BRD / 45 NIN / 36 DRG / 34 BLM / 23 BST / 19 PUP / 19 DNC / 17 WAR /
#5 Feb 03 2010 at 10:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
350 posts
Tanaka P wrote:
For XIV, we're worrying whether or not we can implement voice chat. Like XI, it will run across multiple platforms, and there isn't a single, unifying way to support them all. Not to mention, we have many other communications issues to confront, such as communities being splintered by system, player harassment and translation features. At the moment, supporting voice chat will be difficult.


My guess is that this means it is unlikely we will see voice chat. I intend to be a PC player and use vent anyway.
#6 Feb 03 2010 at 11:09 PM Rating: Good
**
829 posts
Quote:
What are you expecting from 2010?

Tanaka: We are going to start service for Final Fantasy XIV


I sure hope this game is released this year. It'll be spring before you know it. If this game is to be released this year the beta needs to start soon.

Perhaps I shouldn't worry so much. Polyphony Digital isn't the company making FFXIV, thank God.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#7 Feb 03 2010 at 11:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
641 posts
SE will probably shift focus much more towards FFXIV once XIII is released on March 9th. We also have VanaFest coming up real soon, and many are expecting something new on the Eorzean front, even if its just through post-show media interviews. Early Spring should really see things start to come together for XIV, which gives them about half a year for beta testing.
____________________________
JPButton | Twitter
#8 Feb 03 2010 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
656 posts
thanks
good post as usual Elmer

The interviewer should ask something like "when will be the next update on the official site" or
"Can you at least post a new screenshot on the site?"

____________________________
モスタル


#9 Feb 03 2010 at 11:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
6,470 posts
Cyiode wrote:
Tanaka P wrote:
For XIV, we're worrying whether or not we can implement voice chat. Like XI, it will run across multiple platforms, and there isn't a single, unifying way to support them all. Not to mention, we have many other communications issues to confront, such as communities being splintered by system, player harassment and translation features. At the moment, supporting voice chat will be difficult.


My guess is that this means it is unlikely we will see voice chat. I intend to be a PC player and use vent anyway.


Possibly. My suspicion is that if they really didn't think they could implement voice chat, then they simply wouldn't even mention it at all, so as to not appear that they've failed. But I could definitely be wrong.

As a PC player, I also don't care too much, as I'd wager Vent will be better than whatever they implement. But I'm sure PS3 players have their fingers crossed.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#10 Feb 04 2010 at 12:21 AM Rating: Decent
**
495 posts
I'm happy the way they are approaching Beta. There are so many betas out there that do one of two things. Either put out a rushed product and 'expect' the beta testers to help them write game code or its a beta test of such rigid proportions that if there is a glaring system issue they can't correct it before release. It also guarentees people won't beable to play 'all' the game before release at least not till the full open beta and than in which case the game will be so overloaded by people during the 'stress test' period that people won't beable to enjoy the content anyways XD.

Also the little blurb about Vana'diel basically guarentees they got something big planned for the event. An expansion is not 100% but if I was a betting man id certainly put a wager on that happening.
#11 Feb 04 2010 at 12:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
New avatar announced of course. This time "Almost as good as finished", compared to last July's "Around the corner".
#12 Feb 04 2010 at 1:21 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,084 posts
Not much solid info, but that's a good way to run a beta. Many betas start when the product is practically finished, and that doesn't allow fine-tuning or balancing some essential problems. Other betas start with a half-game and rely much too heavily on beta tester feedback and ideas. And I'll be frank with this: most people have horrid design sense, even if they believe they don't.

Striking a balance between the two seems ideal.

____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#13 Feb 04 2010 at 1:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Thanks for the heads up Elmer. Even if it's not direct XIV / Beta date info, it's still very nice that we're at least hearing from the XIV devs.

I wouldn't argue with a little more official XIV site updates however, even trivial ones.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2010 11:40pm by Osarion
#14 Feb 04 2010 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,822 posts
pearlsea wrote:
Quote:
I'm working hard to begin service for Final Fantasy XIV, and I hope to see you all in Eorzea! And of course, there is Final Fantasy XI, which I have been so proud to be a part of for 8 years now. Things are going to be heating up again this year, so I'll see you back in Vana'diel too!


While the FFXIV info was vague, I have no doubt now that there will be a new FFXI expansion announced at vanafest.


Yes, this sounds VERY exciting indeed. I really hope 2010 is better for FFXI than 2009 was. The best things we got out of 2009 was mini expansions that were a joke at that, where you were more or less just paying for gear (very good gear though mind you).

I look forward to FFXIV more than none other, but hearing some good and exciting news for FFXI will only help Square Enix retain fans TILL FFXIV comes out, hopefully they realize this, and hopefully the news is epic.
____________________________
Long Live Vana Diel.
#15 Feb 04 2010 at 2:59 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
372 posts
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Was a good read and its nice to read interviews like this when theres no steady release of info as in FFXIVs case.
#16 Feb 04 2010 at 3:36 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
The most important part of the interview was clearly that FFXIV is on target to be released in 2010. Far too many S~E haters keep saying that FFXIV will be delayed. IMO, the only delay will be for the 360 version and that's because of MS. I've been predicting that Beta will commence no later than May, but I'm hoping for a Mar-Apr time frame. The fact that Tanaka wants us to play the unfinished product suggests Beta could be as early as this month. Of course March is more realistic. Beta is expected to last longer than 4 months so if closed Beta began in March, we could possibly see the launch of FFXIV by late September.

Edited, Feb 4th 2010 5:53am by ShadowedgeFFXI
#17 Feb 04 2010 at 5:25 AM Rating: Good
Thanks once again Elmer. You are our FFXIV watchdog ^^. Anyway, at least this tells us that Beta has not started yet. Heading back to check my e-mail. lol
#18 Feb 04 2010 at 7:20 AM Rating: Default
*
181 posts
Without Elmer everyone at Eorzeapedia would still be thinking this:
Quote:
As usual, famitsu rumors and scan began floating again. There's a general interview about RPGs, where a few key members from several software houses talk about future projects. Tanaka basically says in his small snippet that the Beta will start when the game is finished, and he can't say when. So, for now no speculation on this.
No source even, lol.
#19 Feb 04 2010 at 8:52 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
656 posts
KeeperOfTheStaff wrote:
Without Elmer everyone at Eorzeapedia would still be thinking this:
Quote:
As usual, famitsu rumors and scan began floating again. There's a general interview about RPGs, where a few key members from several software houses talk about future projects. Tanaka basically says in his small snippet that the Beta will start when the game is finished, and he can't say when. So, for now no speculation on this.
No source even, lol.


lmao

you know there was a post on ffxivcore or something regarding the fake beta download as well lol
____________________________
モスタル


#20 Feb 04 2010 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
295 posts
Quote:
SE will probably shift focus much more towards FFXIV once XIII is released on March 9th. We also have VanaFest coming up real soon, and many are expecting something new on the Eorzean front, even if its just through post-show media interviews. Early Spring should really see things start to come together for XIV, which gives them about half a year for beta testing.


I'm half expecting an improvement to the bell system in ffxi tbh.
#21 Feb 04 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Default
45 posts
#22 Feb 04 2010 at 10:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
Quote:
For XIV, we're worrying whether or not we can implement voice chat.


WoW did that, but people went back / stayed with Ventrilo.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#23 Feb 04 2010 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
439 posts
KeeperOfTheStaff wrote:
No source even, lol.


That was actually taken from 2ch, without the actual magazine out since it was the usual Wed leak... And sometimes people summarize things to keep it short. What's the point of doing cross-site flames, anyway?
As for the rest, the interview didn't say anything that is already known.



Edited, Feb 4th 2010 8:07pm by xizro
____________________________
Korede..Millia moshido wa...
PLD/WAR 75/37 - Asura
#24 Feb 04 2010 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
350 posts
RedGalka wrote:
Quote:
For XIV, we're worrying whether or not we can implement voice chat.


WoW did that, but people went back / stayed with Ventrilo.


Good point, plus WoW doesn't even have the cross-platform issues and it still failed.
#25 Feb 04 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
xizro wrote:
That was actually taken from 2ch, without the actual magazine out since it was the usual Wed leak... And sometimes people summarize things to keep it short. What's the point of doing cross-site flames, anyway?
As for the rest, the interview didn't say anything that is already known.

It doesn't really matter where it came from. Yeah, i know that "people summarize things to keep it short" so tell me something i don't know.

KeeperOfTheStaff wrote:
Quote:
Without Elmer everyone at Eorzeapedia would still be thinking this:

Quote:
As usual, famitsu rumors and scan began floating again. There's a general interview about RPGs, where a few key members from several software houses talk about future projects. Tanaka basically says in his small snippet that the Beta will start when the game is finished, and he can't say when. So, for now no speculation on this.

No source even, lol.

I'm not flaming anyone here, clearly you don't know what flaming is. It was a praise to Elmer for the good translation, without him everyone would think false information is true.

Edited, Feb 4th 2010 6:48pm by KeeperOfTheStaff
#26 Feb 04 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
45 posts
In regards to voice chat, if they weren't planning on, or at least still actively trying to come up with a solution, a SE thing to say would be "due to the cross platform nature of the game voice chat is impossible at this time"
But he discusses the hurdles between the idea and the implementation in a way that implies that they are actively searching for a solution.

Now, actually achieving that solution is probably a long shot, unless something happens with sony where they make a PC compatable version of software used on the PS3 for voice chat, then it could be integrated cross platform, or if sony could host and supply vent on the PS3, which is probably literally impossible, and this isn't even considering additional complications that the 360 and xbox live bring to the table.

Voice chat for parties would be very cool, but I don't expect it to happen, not because SE isn't going to try, but because it's just not a reasonable expectation right now.
#27 Feb 04 2010 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
According to the tone of the interview, I don't expect there's going to be voice chat. Even if they do implement it, I highly doubt it will be before the official release.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#28 Feb 04 2010 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,084 posts
I doubt chat will be implemented. Integrating it and having people adopt it is much harder than most people imagine it to be. Would have been nice (supposedly) for console players, but I don't really think the lack of it affected people in XI that much.

That and I really don't want to have to be expected to listen to people squawking unless I'm in an endgame event.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#29 Feb 04 2010 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
I'm not a programmer of course, but doesn't the PS3 have a video/voice chat program? I know you can get a PS3 webcam. And doesn't it have usb ports? Is it that Sony doesn't want to work with SE to give them the code for recognizing a PS3 headset? I just fail to see the difference between a Windows microphone and a PS3 microphone.
#30 Feb 04 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,614 posts
I agree that they wouldn't be talking about it if it weren't likely. Whether it makes it in by release day is another matter.

I'm no expert, but I don't see why cross-platform chat should be all that more difficult than single-platform. There might be some differences in the input, but it's all going over their own servers. They can do whatever they want with the data once they've got it.
#31 Feb 04 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Default
*
57 posts
I will be starting XIV on PS3 since my current PC will not be able to handle it but I will still be able to use vent on the PC while playing on the PS3. Surely this is what most people will do anyway. I'm surprised they are considering voice chat, as difficult as he says it is to implement cross-platform. If they DO implement voice chat, then how about a voice recognition auto-translate system so we can talk to JPs and hear them say, "English, no thanks".

Edited, Feb 4th 2010 5:31pm by havashank
#32 Feb 04 2010 at 5:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
602 posts

I honestly don't care much for the voice chat knowing that the game will be released on 3 different platforms again. It's a horrible waste of the development team's time to sit there and develop a program for each different system to support voice chat. Was that one of the options on the Beta Sign Up? Almost sounds as if people really stressed that point if it were. Still pretty good news to keep people happy even if it wasn't as revealing as we all would have hoped it would have been.

They definitely seem to be doing right by 14 compared to 11. Now if only another Twisted Metal would get developed exclusively for the PS3. Everyone would go out and buy a PS3 so I have more MAG, Modern Warfare 2 people to play with.
#33 Feb 04 2010 at 5:43 PM Rating: Default
**
423 posts
I doubt it has anything to do with Sony holding back on them. SE doesn't spend time creating too many online games let alone creating ones with voicechat, they most likely don't know how to do it quite properly.

On top of that it is a little trickier developing cross platform voice chat for multi cultural people. We don't often see japanese people voice chatting in our games so i'm sure they are deciding how to tackle that hurdle as well.

Lastly i bet they want to do it very proper when they do implement it. One thing we cannot fault SE for in any way is that when they make games they usually make them properly and without the major flaws we see in other titles with 1000 patches. I also don't mean game imbalances etc. They are kinda like blizzard, for all the games imbalances and stuff patches are pretty minimal and they make quite a solid game.
#34 Feb 04 2010 at 7:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
95 posts
Shame nothing new was said.
____________________________
Sin(SWTOR): 50 Jedi Sentinel

Krystalin(FFXI) :(retired) 85BRD/85BLM/85WAR/85BLU/85SAM/85DRG/85PLD/85RDM/85THF/85DRK/75BST/75PUP/75COR/75MNK/75NIN/75RNG

Vikzul(WoW):(retired) 80 rogue

Clytie(WoW):(retired) 80 pld
#35 Feb 04 2010 at 7:50 PM Rating: Good
***
2,824 posts
We played "The Game that will not be named" with a player from Vietnam who didn't speak English well enough to understand half of what we were doing and yet we got along famously. There are certain players that will isolate themselves by language and others that will gladly jump into other languages with little grasp of it. I played Reikspiel (or whatever that online board game community was called) for years with knowing just enough German to get me by. I'm not willing to just assume that Voice chat would splinter the player base any more than cultural differences(and most importantly playing times) already do. I would be sorely disappointed if console players didn't get a voice chat system, it's by far my favorite way to play MMO's.
#36 Feb 05 2010 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,148 posts
Waiting for moar FF14 news with baited breat :D (and my return to the FF universe).

Thanks Elmer!
____________________________
Mishana: DRG | THF | RDM | NIN
#37 Feb 05 2010 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
166 posts
Nothing about the actual programing voice chat into the game is overly difficult. They just want to figure out how they can add voice chat without people complaining about not understanding what the Japanese are saying and vice versa.

I think the best thing they can do is make a filter option so if you don't want to hear people speaking Japanese you don't have to.

Remember FFXI had this same problem to tackle with text chat. SE came up with the auto-translator which was fairly successful. Maybe they can come up with a creative solution again?
____________________________
Pearlsea 75 BST WAR Fairy
Pearlglo - 80 Paladin Mannoroth
#38 Feb 05 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Default
pearlsea wrote:
Nothing about the actual programing voice chat into the game is overly difficult. They just want to figure out how they can add voice chat without people complaining about not understanding what the Japanese are saying and vice versa.

I think the best thing they can do is make a filter option so if you don't want to hear people speaking Japanese you don't have to.

Remember FFXI had this same problem to tackle with text chat. SE came up with the auto-translator which was fairly successful. Maybe they can come up with a creative solution again?


It would make sense that if you're in a group with someone who does not speak the same language as you that you'd still use the auto-translate text functions to convey important information. Text communication is still very common in the presence of voice chat. It's actually preferred in a lot of cases, especially in larger groups, because having a dozen people talking all at once sort of eliminates the benefit of voice chat.
#39 Feb 05 2010 at 5:13 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
AureliusSir the Irrelevant wrote:
It's actually preferred in a lot of cases, especially in larger groups, because having a dozen people talking all at once sort of eliminates the benefit of voice chat.


Not really because in those situations, you keep the channel clear for leaders to explain the game plan while others are listening. Voice chat is faster than typing and that's why we use Ventrillo for our events. Of course not everyone has Vent access, but the majority of people do(including PS2 users) which tends to expedite things.

Text communication is more of a "back-up" and a slower source of information. Take a 40+ Dynamis run. Leaders will put out required info to do your job on the basic level, but those on Vent get specialized assignments because they can react quicker than those that are not. Voice chat is the standard regardless if you talk or not.

Obviously due to conflicting languages, voice chat/auto translator might have to be utilized in some instances. All other times, Vent is vastly superior in every way possible. Too many people talking at once, no sweat, switch channels.
#40 Feb 06 2010 at 8:02 PM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
TS3 > vent :3
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#41 Feb 06 2010 at 8:24 PM Rating: Decent
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
AureliusSir the Irrelevant wrote:
It's actually preferred in a lot of cases, especially in larger groups, because having a dozen people talking all at once sort of eliminates the benefit of voice chat.


Not really because in those situations, you keep the channel clear for leaders to explain the game plan while others are listening. Voice chat is faster than typing and that's why we use Ventrillo for our events. Of course not everyone has Vent access, but the majority of people do(including PS2 users) which tends to expedite things.


That's basically what I said...that text is still used frequently in large groups in order to prevent a situation where you have everyone talking over one another. The voice chat is kept clear for critical information. The point is, the presence of voice chat doesn't render text obsolete.
#42 Feb 06 2010 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
Quote:
The point is, the presence of voice chat doesn't render text obsolete.


I agree. In fact, I actually prefer text 99% of the time unless it's actually a very complex scenario that actually requires vocal leadership and coordination. And to tell you the truth, most of them really don't.

Add to the mix that LS and guild leaders tend to have voices that grate your ears, and...
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#43 Feb 06 2010 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
AureliusSir the Irrelevant wrote:

That's basically what I said...that text is still used frequently in large groups in order to prevent a situation where you have everyone talking over one another. The voice chat is kept clear for critical information. The point is, the presence of voice chat doesn't render text obsolete.


In a critical situation, voice chat channels are clear, but so are text channels. Only a leader should be talking in either with the exception of private messages IE.. /tells. Basically text is a back-up, not a standby. You get a pick-up party and you have to use text to communicate. Yet if you party with friends, you can easily talk on voice chat which is a much more fun experience. Typing text is like snail mail compared to email. While voice chat won't render text chat obsolete, you don't use it very often if it can be helped.
#44 Feb 07 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
Elmer wrote:
SE will probably shift focus much more towards FFXIV once XIII is released on March 9th. We also have VanaFest coming up real soon, and many are expecting something new on the Eorzean front, even if its just through post-show media interviews. Early Spring should really see things start to come together for XIV, which gives them about half a year for beta testing.

Does anyone have news on if they've decided to be fair and include the "secret" XIV item(s) with pre-ordering XIII for the March (non JP) releases?

Edited, Feb 7th 2010 1:18am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#45 Feb 07 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,084 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:

While voice chat won't render text chat obsolete, you don't use it very often if it can be helped.


Speak for yourself.
____________________________
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?
#46 Feb 07 2010 at 4:33 AM Rating: Decent
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
AureliusSir the Irrelevant wrote:

That's basically what I said...that text is still used frequently in large groups in order to prevent a situation where you have everyone talking over one another. The voice chat is kept clear for critical information. The point is, the presence of voice chat doesn't render text obsolete.


In a critical situation, voice chat channels are clear, but so are text channels. Only a leader should be talking in either with the exception of private messages IE.. /tells. Basically text is a back-up, not a standby. You get a pick-up party and you have to use text to communicate. Yet if you party with friends, you can easily talk on voice chat which is a much more fun experience. Typing text is like snail mail compared to email. While voice chat won't render text chat obsolete, you don't use it very often if it can be helped.


I disagree. There are two issues with text-based communication that have led to the common usage of voice chat: text is slower than voice (both to type and to read) and it requires that your intended audience is watching their chat log to catch the message before it scrolls out of view. If they're monitoring other information on the screen (which would ideally be the case), it's easy to miss text messages. The larger the group, the more substantial these issues become. A group leader can't always see everything that is going on, and insisting that everyone else remain silent and refrain from even using text to communicate with the rest of the group is a poor approach.

I'm not talking about critical situations, I'm talking about critical information. You can communicate critical information (to include asking questions) even before an encounter starts, and even then having a half dozen people trying to ask/answer questions at the same time is not an effective use of voice chat. Preserving the channel (for example) for strategy review and answering questions while using text for asking questions works rather nicely.

Back to the main point, the language diversity is not a reason to exclude voice chat from a game. I would be extremely disappointed if the game shipped with an option to select language preferences and automatically mute people based on language alone. I think that if for no other reason than courtesy, if you're going to mute someone it should be because they're abusing the channel. If people want a repeat of the rift between NA and JP, one of the best ways to help do that will be to arbitrarily mute all Japanese players and then proceed to inadvertently talk over them because you don't realize that they're talking. Rude is rude, regardless of how it comes about. This is the 21st century...I like to think the majority of people are beyond wanting to mute people simply because they don't speak the same language.
#47 Feb 07 2010 at 7:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
AureliusSir the Irrelevant wrote:

Back to the main point, the language diversity is not a reason to exclude voice chat from a game. I would be extremely disappointed if the game shipped with an option to select language preferences and automatically mute people based on language alone. I think that if for no other reason than courtesy, if you're going to mute someone it should be because they're abusing the channel. If people want a repeat of the rift between NA and JP, one of the best ways to help do that will be to arbitrarily mute all Japanese players and then proceed to inadvertently talk over them because you don't realize that they're talking. Rude is rude, regardless of how it comes about. This is the 21st century...I like to think the majority of people are beyond wanting to mute people simply because they don't speak the same language.


I think we're having a communication problem right now. So let's just move on to other things. You're not getting my point and I'm not understanding yours either.

I'm not very optimistic that voice chat will be built-in to FFXIV directly. The problems associated with implementing voice chat across all platforms appears to be too problematic for SE. So I expect to continue to use the leading voice chat program(Ventrillo) again. I'm not sure why you posted all that stuff above, care to elaborate?

Edited, Feb 7th 2010 7:09am by ShadowedgeFFXI
#48 Feb 07 2010 at 8:11 AM Rating: Decent
*
140 posts
How come when I read the interview, I get out of it that the beta will be locked at 10% content. Just like how Star trek online only opened a part of their game for beta.

For the nay sayers that think there is going to be a Q1 2011 release:
"What are you expecting from 2010?

Tanaka: We are going to start service for Final Fantasy XIV, which we have been working on for several years now. We don't have an official announcement yet, but we are certain the game will be ready for all users to enjoy. First, we want to get the beta test rolling."

Something I find odd about this statement below. Beta might not be as long as 6 months, like everyone is speculating, might be a shorter period:

What kind of time frame are you thinking of for the beta test?

Tanaka: We don't intend to set a specific time frame for the test......... I can't really say anything definitive about the length of the beta test at this time.





____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#49 Feb 07 2010 at 8:31 AM Rating: Decent
*
191 posts
Rustyshield wrote:
How come when I read the interview, I get out of it that the beta will be locked at 10% content. Just like how Star trek online only opened a part of their game for beta.

For the nay sayers that think there is going to be a Q1 2011 release:
"What are you expecting from 2010?

Tanaka: We are going to start service for Final Fantasy XIV, which we have been working on for several years now. We don't have an official announcement yet, but we are certain the game will be ready for all users to enjoy. First, we want to get the beta test rolling."

Something I find odd about this statement below. Beta might not be as long as 6 months, like everyone is speculating, might be a shorter period:

What kind of time frame are you thinking of for the beta test?

Tanaka: We don't intend to set a specific time frame for the test......... I can't really say anything definitive about the length of the beta test at this time.







Is all of this because you forgot to take your tinfoil hat off before reading it? Anticipation and speculation are the things that kill games before they even start.
____________________________
Hyanmen wrote:
It's a frocobo, duh.


Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU): comatose1
#50 Feb 07 2010 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,578 posts
Quote:
For XIV, we're worrying whether or not we can implement voice chat. Like XI, it will run across multiple platforms, and there isn't a single, unifying way to support them all. Not to mention, we have many other communications issues to confront, such as communities being splintered by system, player harassment and translation features. At the moment, supporting voice chat will be difficult.


I didn't read everyone's comments in full, but I was mostly happy to read the bolded part. I have been waiting to hear some confirmation about the server structure for FFXIV. Namely, I was hoping they would avoid region-specific servers and maintain the melting pot servers that FFXI had. I had a feeling they probably would since they seemed to always be proud of that part of FFXI, but mentioning translation issues makes that seem more definite to me.
____________________________
Filian - Elvaan - Ifrit
Samurai
White Mage
Corsair
Ninja
Dancer
#51 Feb 07 2010 at 2:06 PM Rating: Decent
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I think we're having a communication problem right now. So let's just move on to other things. You're not getting my point and I'm not understanding yours either.


My point is pretty easy to understand. Voice chat option does not eliminate the option to use text and with text comes access to the auto-translate features. That's it. Simple point.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)